Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Belzken Monk

Dreaming Psion's page

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber. 1,084 posts (1,219 including aliases). No reviews. No lists. 1 wishlist. 21 aliases.


RSS

1 to 50 of 1,084 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

If you're on a demiplane owned by a trickster deity, you might think about how that relates to clerics receiving their spells. If the trickster deity interferes, then other divine spellcasting classes or other characters with healing abilities, such as oracles. Alchemists and bards seem to lend themselves to urban campaigns too.

If "allying with powerful entities" includes obscure, largely immaterial spirits you must bind yourself to (akin to the 3.5 Tome of Magic vestiges), then you might look at Radiance House's Pact Magic Unbound stuff (which is quite similar.) The books aren't specific on how much/which spirits a pact-magic user knows about, so discovery and mystery could very much be a thin if you wanted it to be.

The biggest thing I think you'll run into is what to do with "wild" characters like the barbarian, druid, and ranger. The barbarian and the ranger are fairly easy to refluff for urban settings The former being madmen, thuggish gang members, REALLY spoiled aristocrats, etc. and the former being bounty hunters, sewer explorers, etc. Druids are a little bit more challenging. Here's some archetypes that might be appropriate for an urban game:
Advanced Players Guide:
Druid archetypes: Urban Druid, (Possibly) Blight druid
Ranger archetypes: Skirmisher, Urban Ranger
Ultimate Combat:
Barbarian Archetypes: Armored Hulk, Urban Barbarian
Ultimate Magic:
Druid archetype: Menhir savant (provided the demiplane has leylines), Reincarnated druid (especially if souls can't leave your demiplane)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

What about the quality of his relationships? Shayliss, if he is knowingly enabling her jealousy, then that might be a sin of Sloth (because he is just letting her get away with it, not to mention hypocrisy- it would not be an act of love to help someone darken their heart) if not lust. Similarly, if he willfully acts in an irresponsible way thinking
his faith renders him immune to the sin of lust, then that might be a sin of pride. However, if his plans in taking care of his employees are indicative of how he is treating his intimate relations, then he may not be guilty of any of these sins.

I think what will differentiate sin from free love is the absence of love- when it involves a betrayal., viewing somebody as an object, or activity without considering the consequences.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

1026. Punching treants does not bring good luck.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Well, going by least likely locations, on Golarion

1)Time travel back to ancient Thassilon, Azlant/time travel- I highly doubt they'd ever do this because it has way too much potential of changing stuff in the current timeline, unless the adventure path was really railroaded into preserving the status quo. That and they've always been slow to play their hand about ancient cultures.

2) Jinin- The Inner Seas will always dominate over other continents. And Golarion has always been centered on humans. A nation with samurai elves already has two strikes against it. The third is that if they were going to do elves (again) it would most likely be in the Inner Seas.

3) Crown of the World (other than a pass by) If you go North, there are other more fan favorites.

4) Hermea- this is one of the most controversial, remote, and tightly wound societies there is. I rarely here people championing for Hermea like I do some of the other strongly "themed" places.

5) Druma- merchants and bureaucracies don't lend themselves to widely loved AP themes. There's potential in investigating possible shenanigans behind it, but it's doubtful that it by itself could carry a full AP (unless it turns out to be an aboleth conspiracy, in which case you'd probably be heading elsewhere quick.)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

3.X had the bhut (not the Pathfinder bhuta)

Hellwasps can possess corpses. If you wanted undead, you could throw an undead template of some kind that.

As for ghosts, in Classic Horrors Revisited, there is also the Ghost special ability Reinvigoration, which allows the possession of corpses.

The Haunt from the Tome of Horrors (not the Paizo Pathfinder Haunt, this one: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/haunt ) can possess people at zero dexterity (it inflicts dex damage with its touch)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

A few things:
first of all, I would advise anything really dramatic and sudden like the instant formation of lynch mobs. I would also avoid antagonism that would be implausible for the people in question. Remember that even if the monsters WERE evil, they're carrying heavy weaponry and are also encountered with possibly equally as powerful and heavily armed potential professional killers. I would imagine most people would want to AVOID rather than cause trouble with these new strangers. Snide comments and jacking up prices are probably also right out- as that could inspire violence from these unknown walking WMDs. Remember, this is a society where politeness is reinforced by violence- insulting a person(ish)'s honor can get an early ticket to the grave, especially for a peasant.

Instead, I would suggest any hostile/unfriendly reactions would come in the form of (subtle) avoidance and misdirection. People might move to the other side of the street, granting them a wide berth- the streets might empty. Or perhaps coming up with excuses on why the accommodations wouldn't fit them- they might say that the rooms will surely not be up to the standards of a great dragon, for example. Questions from the PCs will be met with somewhat inaccurate or speculative answers that might vaguely give what the monstrous newcomers might want- but mostly just to nudge the characters on their way.

The most overt reactions I think you'd get would come from panicky peasants whom would call for help and run away. Hostile confrontations would mostly only occur when the PCs encounter Farmer Joe on his own property. And the main reason for Pig Farmer Joe to call for his pitchfork and his sons to back him up is mostly for deterrence- a demonstration of force to show the newcomers that there are probably more lucrative targets relative to the chore it might take the PCs to wipe the family defenders out. I doubt that Pig Farmer Joe would truly have the idea in his head that his family could wipe out a unit of seasoned man-killers with unknown supernatural allegiances. But if he can provide enough resistance to signal that massacring the lot of them would be more of a chore than his pigs would be worth, that might just be enough to save his family's lives.

Of course, if something horrible happens in the community, then things might change. As (monstrous) newcomers, they may take the blame. With official reason to organize, then this is where you'll be getting the torch wielding unruly mob. (Especially if you have "monster hunters" that can stoke the flames of villager wrath.) Otherwise, I think the most hostile things the peasantry might do is to silently watch and tell any well-loved monster/witch hunters that come along about these new freaks that came to town.

Of course, not all the reactions need be fear. There may be some awe- especially for the angel-blooded summoner. That could attract a fair amount of awe. Not that this will be entirely positive either- the summoner- especially one that's a diplomancer, may be deluged with requests for help, even for relatively petty things like removing Ma Posey's warts. Particularly superstitious locals may assume a cult of personality around the angel or misidentify the character as some sort of divine representative of the local religion. Besides the confusion and chaos such inaccurate assumptions might give, the attention your angel would receive could tip off the monsters that inhabit the so-called "civilized" communities. For example, I imagine the vampires that rule Caliphas would have some interesting things to say to (or do to) the angel summoner...


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Deviantart also has a tool that lets you find pictures that are similar to any one in question- choose "Browse More Like This" on the right side of the screen.

Here are the ones that come up for the nightmre ettercap


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I could find the following images with nightmare creature:

Banderak, from Crucible of Chaos (nightmare creature human sorcerer)
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/pathfinder/images/a/a1/Banderak.jpg/rev ision/latest?cb=20080608152146

Kasatha are somewhat similar in appearance
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Kasatha-465613811
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Isuma-510189689
http://pathfinderwiki.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/0/00/Kasatha.jpg/250px-Kas atha.jpg

The animate dream from bestiary II might also qualify as having a resemblance. Denizen of leng may also qualify.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Tacticslion wrote:


The Hellknights function as independent organizations ("Orders") each of which follow the same basic code, but are not part of a single over-arching organization.

I understand this, but I've not seen any chapter that have a good take on the neutral code. Could you give me a source example on this?

Because otherwise, "results matter" will put in a mix of good, evil, and neutral into any sect without a definitively evil mission. And therefore, a paladin will come into contact with individual evil or darkly neutral comrades that they will have to compensate for and find ways within the system to go around. Hence the distraction.

Quote:


The bolded part is fundamentally errant - not in its understanding of Hell, but in its understanding of the Hellknights.

This is exactly why there are so many problems that crop up.

People - in a meta sense - have bought into the aesthetic rather than accepting that the over-arching structure is, by nature, a lawful neutral structure.

It is not lawful evil.

"Nothing good can come from Hell." is a fine concept and all, but taking the not-evil parts and stripping out all the evil bits is an incredibly important function that the Hellknights followed when creating the Measure and Chain that many people seem to ignore because, you know, they're fooled by the aesthetic.

Actually, I am not making that general argument. I know the difference between "based on" and "the same". I'm making a very specific argument about what is at the core of infernal legal tenets If they were just buying the aesthetic (as in, appearance and perhaps battle tactics) I would say no problem.

However, they study the legal tenets of hell. And there's not much left of infernal law when you strip away its abuses. It is a system fundamentally based on exploitation of the law. The enforcement of the law only matters as long as it benefits those in power. The talk of the organization of hell's armies being superior to all others I find nonsensical, in that it's true only because the source material says it's true.

If somebody can provide me with good reasoning as to why hell's armies are worth imitating, what is worthy in infernal law of keeping once the exploitation factor is taken out, why law corrupted by evil is better at doing law than law itself, and how principles of hell can effectively be translated into human realms, then I will relinquish my position that paladin hellknights lend themselves more towards being misled (as turning into the pawns of evil, not necessarily turning evil themselves) than to fulfilling their goals.

Quote:


However, again, let me point back to something oft ignored: there is a "greater evil" in Cheliax, called "the death of everyone and everything via Civil War" and those who are part of the Hellknights definitively remember this thing and have it as a constant, looming specter over everything they do.

This justification is tricky because the the regime in question lends itself to revolution or civil war (as human regimes based primarily on fear and tyranny tend to be.) As best, you're putting the status quo on life support in the hope the regime can change through legal means. It is a valid character option, make no mistake, but it's a very precarious one. (Which is my main point, being a paladin in the Hellknights is one that complicates being a paladin because it gives you another figurative master to please.

My point is that a paladin can't be involved in hellknights or that the hellknights are inherently lawful evil, rather, their methods and allegiances are flawed. And the conflicts that trickle down to a hellknight paladin will very likely cause conflict with a paladin's other paladin-type goals. So I'm saying, if you're a paladin and want to be a hellknight, by all means, go ahead. However, do so knowing the potential consequences and do so at your own (increased) risk.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
EldonG wrote:
Argh - so many great ideas - trying to just iron it out has gotten a bit problematic. Hmmmm.

My suggestion might be to go with a theme that best suits this situation, and then save some of the other ideas for adventures further on down the line. If you would like, you can always throw in hooks to further adventures for said other ideas that don't get used for this adventure. You could do this via various items signaling the presence of these other beings (such as letters of correspondence). Or perhaps a one-off encounter within the adventure that signals that your main foe for this complex has allies elsewhere. (The token serpentfolk or derro, for example, could be allies or trade diplomats from other monstrous organizations or settlements the hags are allied with, for example.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Tacticslion wrote:

Oh yeah! And how's this for irony: any claim and attempt to force all to accept the concept that hellknights do, in fact, serve hell and Thrune is basically doing Thrune's own attempted propaganda and historical revision work for them.

By actively slandering said organization for aesthetic reasons (as opposed to individual Orders for moral reasons) one is actively purpatrating a lie and (intentionally or not) assisting the very infernal forces they reject the hellknights over!

(Of course this is a very metafictional argument, but because many people of good alignment will also be pearl-clutching aesthetically-focused individuals as well, this also applies in-world. Meta!)

My biggest thing is that, going beyond things that true because official says it's true, that basing your organizational principles on infernal law and legal traditions (might makes right, laws are written with the intent to allow their drafters to exploit them, basis on fear and lies, etc.) is extremely foolish. The only advantage you might have is an increased ability to scare offenders into kowtowing to your demands. But that's probably more about adopting the aesthic imagery of hell rather than basing the foundation of your philosophy on hellish law.

The overriding philosophy of "only concerned with results" (as in, "the ends justify the means") is one that is usually at odds with the paladin code. So while a paladin could theoretically join their order, he'd almost most certainly be playing a game of keeping her fellows from pursuing evil to achieve order (and thus, dragging herself with them), thereby drawing attention from fighting the war against chaos. (And then you're undermining your whole philosophy of "results matter"). If we go with "everything is permitted in the name of the greater good" (or order, as the case may be), we should not be surprised that the abuses of power like in the Turn of the Torrent occur.

So yes, while a paladin MIGHT technically be able to join the Hellknights, I have trouble with it being plausible in a few notable circumstances.
a) the paladin is a delusional or at least extremely naive fool
b) the paladin hopes to clean up the corruption inside of the Hellknight organization from within the organization itself.
c)the character is a native Chelexian and wants to fight evil in an official capacity while remaining in a nation with an evil power structure.
d) the paladin has some buddies he really likes in the organiztion, and he wants to work with them.

All of the above has a lot of potential for leading the paladin astray over time.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

If you're considering broadening it to include goblinkind and ogres, I would recommend going with hags as your devious masters, since they have a natural leadership role of goblinoids, ogres, trolls, and the like. If you wanted a male equivalent to them, you could style templated satyrs (base CR 4) as an "Old Scratch" type of primal evil you might see in a witch's Black Mass.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

For the description you give, I would recommend derro. They have the alien abduction/horrible experimentation theme going for them (except they're not aliens, and they come from the underground). Mongrelmen would be a good fit for the derro because of the derro's fondness for fleshwarping and multilation However, derro are just humanoids, not monstrous humanoids as per the type. So I'll try to think of some alternatives.

Given the description you're giving, I'd almost suggest gargoyles, but they're generally fairly stupid so it would be hard to imagine any kind of advanced civilization for them. (Perhaps they could have the advanced template representing a higher evolved specimen?) Or maybe they're one of your slave races along with mongrelmen.

If you wanted to make your community seem mundane (if a bit eerie) and play mind games with the players, then doppelgangers might be a good way to go. You might have it seem like part of the town is doppelgangers, only to later reveal the cruel truth that they are all doppelgangers.

Other contenders might include Serpentfolk, contemplatives (Bestiary 4), hags, morlocks (with an advanced template or as a slave race), and maybe even yeti, as the Pathfinder take on yetis leaves them as pretty mysterious beings.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Goth Guru wrote:
Some Lamias reach false godhood and grant spells to atheists. When atheists die, they are reincarnated as Lamias. I haven't decided what false god Lamias look like. I'm considering dragons or hydras, among other things.

That's interesting. Your approach to lamias sounds a lot like the approach Paizo has taken with demodands and the evil titans. So you might consider connecting them in your campaign.

Razmir might be an example of one such false god.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

495. Arranging crimes against humanity or mass executions with a forbidden weapon like a deadly gas of some kind.
Comic Version: The gas is his own flatulence.

"Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito! Mwahahahaha!"


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

486. Begging his dark gods for mercy
Comic version: Begging his dark gods for a BLT.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

485. Thinking about an enigma
Comic version: Thinking about an enema


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

480. Scrying back on the PCs.
Comic version:And yelling "INCEPTION!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

There is the PF module "the Ruby Phoenix Tournament". There's also some PF scenarios you can adapt for home use.
"The Deepmarket Deception"
"Defenders of Nesting Swallow"
"The Edge of Heaven"
"The Haunting of Hinjai"
"Karma Reclaimed"
"Of Kirina and Kracken"
"On Hostile Waters"
"Red Harvest"
"The Lost Legacy"
"Tide of Harvest"
"Way of the Kirin"

Dungeon 89 (available as a PDF here on paizo.com) has a fairly interesting adventure for 3.0 called "Honor and Eta", it's set in Rokugan but you could convert it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Hmm, if you threw in the nuckelavee, there's enough critters here you could run a whole adventure with these human toopped monstrosities.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Mostly likely
Seaweed siren (bestiary IV) http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary4/seaweedSiren.html#

probably based on this little number: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvmzc5siEpk

Drakainia is another possibility, but not nearly as likely
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary4/drakainia.html#drakainia


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

If it occurs often enough, then it goes beyond a purely personal problem and moves there also being a systemic issue. (Systemic here meaning, going beyond individual problems/user error and into something larger at work.) Imposing demands on people with limited time and/or opportunity will not make your argument convincing to get people to stop making their own.

Generally speaking, I find many of the options not very suitable for my tastes in a lot of the books. There's several pieces of stuff I like in each of the books, but finding them can be like finding the diamond in the rough. So I guess for me it's not so much the amount of total data there, it's the signal to noise ratio.

Then there's also the way the mechanics interact. There's the matter of reinventing the wheel, many of the archetypes and such have similar themes or even names. Another point is that the more options you have, the easier it is for some unseen interaction of those options to come along and "break" things. It's a bit of a pain to go back and revise something after the fact and/or suck it up and let it for the rest of the campaign.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Michael Talley 759 wrote:

I had a new player at my table wonder why I make NPC's (Aristocrats, Commoners, Experts and warriors) and some other NPC's react to non-standard races with fear, hatred or other assort-ly negative reactions on the first meetings.

I pointed out most common NPC's don't know knowledge everything.

PC= "Well they know a Zombie when they see one right?"
Me= "Technically yes, but they'd also think a Lich was a zombie, just one that strangely can talk"
PC= "That seems dumb."
me= "Not dumb, uneducated. Most commoners know what a dragon is."
PC= "See that proves my point they know good monsters from bad"
Me= "They know dragons, fly, breath dangerous stuff, eat cattle & humans
but they won't really know the difference between they types of dragons. It's called Everyman knowledge. We know generally how to change light bulbs, but not everyone knows how to fix the wiring inside a fixture."
PC= "...." back to game

So I was wondering for future advice for this player as I can see him getting upset having to prove to people that his Lizard Folk barbarian is not a monster in each new town (not to mention he is currently just bordering on an alignment change from CN to CE just because he uses dirty tactics and state it's fine as CN to kill if he get's 'made fun of' or kill several people if attacked by a lone enemy by sneak attack and the villagers help a human against the monster when he attacks them. )

Some of the descriptions given here (such as the disagreement on what actions a character can take and still remain in an alignment) makes it sound like there's something more than an issue of common knowledge here, like this is part of a greater clash of playstyles between you/your group and the new player. What other conversations has the group had regarding general game style and world expectations?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Raynulf wrote:

Fighter

Edit: To clarify, if you're doing a game with a medieval style society, i.e. prior to the industrial revolution, then Fighter. If you're doing a more contemporary post-industrial revolution setting, then that is when the aristocracy stepped back from the front lines.

Previously, the nobility were the career military and officers. Common folk often had mandatory militia training for when armies needed to be mustered, but were never career military - they were mustered during war time (and usually only during the summer) and sent home afterwards - typically in time for the harvest.

I'd personally go cavalier/samurai before fighter since the lack of skills makes the fighter harder to much other than a grunt or a peasant without multiclassing or choosing obscure archetypes.

Bard would be another acceptable substitute for aristocrat, given the right environment.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

If the main object is to protect your buddies and goad the enemy into acting less wisely than they should, perhaps an alternative might be to focus a build that uses Intimidate to frighten an opponent, with some dips into cavalier (order of the cockatrice) and/or rogue (thug archetype) and taking feats like Cornugon Smash, Dazzling Display, Gory Finish, and such. True, you wouldn't get them to attack you, but making them run away would have much of the same effect.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

669. Your local adventuring player characters have once again rendered the town into Chernobyl.
670. Adventuring player characters become your local adventuring player characters whom live next door. For results of what happens as a result, see 669.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

54.getting audited by an IRS* Auditor Devil
*Infernal Revenue Service
55. The Random Wandering Murderhobo chart is killer.
56. Local Monster's Union calls for a strike and all your minions join in.
57. Some Random Mad Wizard has already laid a claim to the dungeon.
58. The inlaws are coming to visit.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

My guess would be because it's safer to make something a feat than a mechanic because there's less of a potential backlash (it may be perceived that a feat could be disregarded more easily than a mechanic) and because it's probably easier to balance a feat than an entirely new mechanic. You have to give up something in order to get to it.

3.X/PF is an exception-based system with an implicit methodology that you need a specific mechanical "token" of some kind in order to do something that's beyond the norm. Feats are one of the easiest such tokens to quantify outside of class, race, etc.. Part of the theoretical balancing of feats is feats chains, in making more desirable feats you must take less desirable in order to get the feats you want (for a possible example: see "Deceitful" above. It's part of the strategy in character building side of the game.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

963. Darkmoon Vale has its own calendar marked by the amount of time since the last siege of Falcon's Hollow.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'm finding a few details of the events a bit vague, so I think some clarification might be useful

MyPCsCommitSuicide wrote:

I currently run a homebrew campaign with 6 PCs, one of which is a paladin. The main goal of the campaign is to travel to the center of an area of magical corruption and try to put a stop to it. Nobody knows what causes the corruption, and it is spreading quickly.

In their endless quest to completely ignore the main plotline, they managed to go on a plane-hopping adventure.

Are you saying "in their endless quest..." in a tone of humorousness/lightheartedness or a mood of annoyance?

(I ask because it's hard to read tone on the internet)

Quote:

The paladin stepped up.

The paladin entered the demon's tent, arms crossed and head full of "I'm so g!%$%!n good there's no way this demon can pull one over on me"-ness and asked what the demon wanted.

Did the player say something equivalent to "there's no way this demon can pull one over on me"?

Quote:


The demon simply said he wanted to show the paladin something, and that all he required was that the paladin place his hands on the same table the demon was. The paladin obliged. The demon showed him a battle that would take place in the future and how to stop it. But that wasn't all he did.

Now the paladin sees "Holy" golden light on areas and people of interest, actually caused by the demon, whom the paladin allowed into his mind.

By allowing the demon into his mind, are you referring to when he put his hands on the table? Was it more explicitly stated that he was allowing the demon into his mind?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

What about a Fighter with the Martial Master and Mutation Warrior archetypes (from the Ultimate Class Guide)? The former would allow you to rotate some feats, and the latter would let you have mutagen and eventually some related discoveries of your choice.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Hellknights like to emulate hell mostly because they like its edginess.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Sounds like a bit of an anxious situation, due at least in part to out of game issues. What does your GM say about the situation?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Falxu wrote:

Good people pay for the now and get rewarded in the afterlife.
Evil people get rewarded now and pay for it in the afterlife.

Abraxas and Furcas would beg to differ. So would the various Good gods/celestial lords of joy and sensual fulfillment. Self-sacrifice of some degree or another is frequent tool to reach good, but it in and of itself is not necessarily good. An evil cultist may sacrifice her life, wealth, etc. for her evil cause; this does not make it Good.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Towns of the Inner Seas (Pathfinder Campaign Setting) has an updated version of Falcon's Hollow.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

the Swamp Thing effect: the character was actually killed, but his body was consumed by plantlife/scavengers, whom somehow created a new consciousness with his old memories.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Since this is in the Dungeon section, I'll emphasize Dungeon villains

Viktor Saint-Demaine is the quintessential champagne villain. All of his nasty tricks really suckerpunched my players in the trilogy of Dungeon adventures he appears in. Plus it was great hamming things up in his dialogues with the PCs.

The trio of hags from

Spoiler:
Dungeon 137, "Man Forever". Gaslighting an entire community to bring down its retired adventurer ruler is pretty epic.

The bitter, old

Spoiler:
Lady Auraluna Dromdal from Dungeon 128 "Shut-In"
, because of all the horror she brings about for such ho-hum reasons. She's the epitome of petty evil. It had one of the PCs almost give up his "no killing humans" vow.

Vecna and his cult. Such iconic imagery, yet so versatile. Plus secrets also lends itself to manipulation and intrigue.

Bargle. 'Nuff said.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Entryhazard wrote:


That doesn't really counter my point, as this is exactly how the Psychic with the Faith Discipline works

Actually, you have to to choose a deity to follow to get the faith discipline. Further, it is one's own faith, not the faith of a collective belief that might empower the clric as some nonanthroporphic philosophy or force. The psychic is about establishing faith through empowering of the intellect, rather than tapping into the wisdom of the ages. Prayers and holy symbol function as connections to the wellspring of divine or faith power the godless cleric draws from. With the faith psychic, it is purely from the mind.

(Since this is a discussion on "why magic works", I'm leaving aside practical issues like some games not wanting to use Occult Adventures and godless clerics being around for a much greater time than psychics with the faith discipline.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Clone blues: Only tissue sample on hand was from when the character was much younger.

Death/Rebirth: The character died and somehow reincarnated into a new form with his old memories but not old skills intact. (Samsaran perhaps? Finding some weird sensory crystal device that game her back her memories from her previous life? Pass-life regression hypnosis?)

An Act of the Gods: the character was thoroughly corrupt as a wizard, and either begged his god to be transformed into something new or the transformation was an affliction created by the gods to punish the character.

Parasitism: The character's brain or soul has been partially eaten away by an unusual form of parasite, thus undoing much of the character's wizardly skills.

Retraining gone wrong: a glitch happened in the system with whatever process you use to explain the retraining mechanic.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

You may want to check out the Kingmaker Adventure Path and/or Ultimate Campaign for ideas on this.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

How about a faulty clone or a simulacrum that somehow gained full sentience and the ability to progress but at the cost of most of its XP levels?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Haven't used it so much as source mined it for a homebrew steampunk world. I'm using the Darkmoon Vale and choice bits about the ancient Azlanti and Thassilonian societies like the shards of sin.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

My players thought that the hall of inventions (forget the proper name of it, but the one with all the lumber yard equipment) was really horrific. So much that they burnt it to the ground even after the fey inside it were dispatched. So you may want to have a reaction ready from Thuldrin Kreed. I think that was how I roped them into doing Revenge of the Kobold King.

Also, the scenario is really helped if you've established or will establish the hostile politics between the fey and the lumber company. A Guide to Darkmoon Vale can be helpful with this. Other adventures that might serve as good sequels include the Dungeon module Wingclipper's Revenge (Issue 132) and Pathfinder Society Scenario #43 (the Pallid Plague).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Could be a god of innovation or rediscovery no matter what the cost. Continued wayward expansion to always promote a pioneering/independent attitude. Trade can also promote ever-changing dynamics/change in culture as ideas and civilizations come into conflict with each other. Such a deity may also support the destruction of old traditions and other social mores in the name of restrictionless trade, social progress, or even a Social Darinian survival of the fittest.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

The only time I can think of a rogue being the BBEG of a module is basically one where he functioned as a spellcaster (as in, had a lot of scrolls and just burned through them like no tomorrow).


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I like the hypocrisy of druidic liches. Ones who have become so "attuned" to or protective of the natural world that they feel the need to transcend it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Baval wrote:
My group once had an encounter generator roll up a Lich Camel. We ran with it.

Which encounter generator was this? Please tell us!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Fun fact: before the spell-like ability errata ruling out SLAs counting for preqs, the lowest CR lich that I could find was a barbazu/Bearded Devil. (greater teleport at 12th level, CR 5 base +2 template= CR 7). The lowest CR lich I can think of now is a kobold adept 11 (CR 9 base - 1 kobold +2 template = 10).


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Follow up on the Dragon issue: Dragon 323 p. 92, one of the "Winning Races" articles, has one version that is a brutal/degenerate version and an enlightened, oracular version. Both are Medium sized.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

You could do like how they countered the negative slime in Ghostbusters II and let them somehow counteract the negative emotions a haunt evokes with some display of positive emotions. (Example: blaring out upbeat music, hosing them down with slime charged with positive emotions, or using some kind of Charismatic Hero ability). For a more rules based approach, I think think that haunts-created effects are considered mind-affecting fear effects, so abilities that function against mind-affecting or fear effects can usually work against the direct effects of a haunt.

1 to 50 of 1,084 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2016 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.