One of the players in my campaign is thinking to reskin his level 12 witch as a shaman. They are approaching a point where, story wise, that would be acceptable. It can even be appropriate, the witch getting a closer bond with the nature spirits of her land.
My problem is that some options seem too good: specifically the whole wandering spirit thing.
The shaman get the same number of spells of s cleric: a maximum of 4 spell at each level, plus what is essentially a domain spell.
- she get to choose spontaneously what spell she want to cast instead of having to memorize it.
- at 4th level with the wandering spirit she get to chose the second "pseudo domain" every day.
- at 6th level the wandering spirit allow her to chose a new hex for a limited list every day.
- at 12th level the wandering spirit give her its greater ability, again an ability that can be changed every day.
- at 14th level a second wandering hex
Essentially she get a lot of re-customization every day.
My idea is to give her a short list of allowable spirits, appropriated to the character and the setting.