Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Dwarf

Diego Rossi's page

Goblin Squad Member. Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber. Pathfinder Society Member. 9,864 posts (10,375 including aliases). 1 review. 1 list. No wishlists. 7 aliases.


1 to 50 of 698 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
SillyString wrote:


I guess it depends on whether the "You gain a +2 bonus on Sense Motive checks, and you can deal piercing damage with your unarmed strikes." part of snake style effect (and thereby boar's too) is always active AND whether or not being capable dealing slashing damage with a weapon makes it a slashing weapon.

"You can deal slashing damage with it" don't make something a slashing weapon. To be a slashing weapon it should that in the hands of everyone.

CBDunkerson wrote:
Avoron wrote:
Slashing Grace doesn't work like that, it requires you to choose a weapon when you take the feat, and the weapon has to qualify for the feat on its own merits.

Sure. Unarmed strikes are a weapon. If those strikes do slashing damage then they qualify for Slashing Grace.

Quote:
At the time you're taking Slashing Grace, Boar Style is not active

Why not?

Boar Style can be activated at any time. Someone with the feat could use it to deal slashing damage in every actual combat and every 'off screen practice session'. If all the training and experience someone undertook to learn the Slashing Grace feat came from using Boar Style to do slashing damage then how would it have not been active when they learned the feat?

Quote:
But they cannot pick Slashing Grace with a greatsword, because it is not considered a one-handed weapon for the purpose of feat selection during character creation or leveling up.
A greatsword cannot be used with slashing grace because it is a two-handed weapon. Even if someone has an ability allowing them to use it one-handed (or just using a small greatsword) that doesn't stop it BEING a two-handed weapon.

Slashing grace requirement point to the weapon, not your other abilities. The weapon is a slashing weapon? No. Test failed, don't work.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
FrozenLaughs wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, you've cast magical enchantments upon your physical body, much in the way that you would enchant a weapon. You've made them permanent, just as you would a weapon or any other object. Your enchantments remain upon the body even as the soul leaves the body, because it's not the soul that is enchanted, just the vessel.

If you are polymorphed permanently and then die, does your soul travel to the appropriate Plane looking like an Elf, a women (if you were male) or a frog? No. You go back looking as you did when you were created. Reincarnation? That's a whole different discussion that could be argued either way.

Anyways, does a broken weapon lose its enchantments when broken? No. (unless I've blatantly missed a rule) Destroyed? Yes, there's nothing left to physically hold the magic so it dissipates. Why are we applying different logic to a body?

And you can even recover the magic in a destroyed magic item is you have make whole and your level is high enough.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Darksol the Painbringer wrote:

Which makes no sense.

If the intent of the Superstition Rage Power is "I hate Magic, I'll do anything to not have to deal with Magic," then that should include not being able to be automatically targeted by the spell too.

In other words, if you're unwilling towards the effects of the spell, you should be unwilling towards being targeted by the spell too, meaning an attack roll should be required (but isn't, because apparently that makes sense).

Thin it this way:

"I fear magic. Magic is Dangerous."
Friend touch you to cast a beneficial spell.
Conscious thought: "He is healing me, I need this spell."
Subconscious: "Magic, magic is death, I must resist."

He want to accept the spell, but his hindbrain think it is dangerous.
And when he is raging it is his instinct that command, not his reason.

To make a RL example: a insulin injection is very important for a diabetic, but if he suffer of needle phobia he will have a hard time forcing himself to accept it.

BTW:

PRD wrote:


Superstition (Ex): The barbarian gains a +2 morale bonus on saving throws made to resist spells, supernatural abilities, and spell-like abilities. This bonus increases by +1 for every 4 levels the barbarian has attained. While raging, the barbarian cannot be a willing target of any spell and must make saving throws to resist all spells, even those cast by allies.

The rage power don't speak anywhere of hate, fear or whatever. Any explanation of why he is particularly resistant to magic is left to the player. It can be the blessing of the clan elder he received when he was a child together with the geas of never harming a black rooster.

"Superstition" can easily refer to some superstitious ward against evil (with the lowercase) that he always use to protect himself against magic. It is a morale bonus, so, as long as he think it work, it give him a bonus to his saves.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Abraham Z. wrote:

Yep, I am talking about the rage power. Didn't even realize that is an archetype of the same name.

The superstition rage power is extremely common, in my experience, and also a fun way to play a barbarian: gives a significant boost to your saves (my barbarian's problems have all been caused by failed saves) and also is very flavorful in terms of role play. It is also a prereq for the spell sunder rage power, which is also lots of fun, and is probably the main reason that I didn't switch this character to an unchained barbarian when Unchained came out.

However, it does have this potential death trap built into it, as discussed in the thread above. I had previously thought that a superstitious barbarian just had to save against healing spells (meaning that it uses up double the resources). But the realization that a superstitious barbarian can't willingly accept such healing is a whole different situation. If you are unconscious (but still raging via Raging Vitality) your friends can come over and hit you with some healing. Even unconscious you'll have to save, as pointed out by Diego above, but you'll still take half the healing. The really dangerous point is once you wake up. Now you can't willingly accept your allies' healing spells, but unless you've been brought to a hp level where you can safely drop out of rage (probably falling unconscious again, but at least not being dead), you will be very likely to die once your rounds of rage run out. In fact, absent some form of non-spell healing, or your allies' grappling your raging self and *forcing* you to drink the damn potion, it's hard for me to see how a barbarian doesn't auto-die in this situation.

Obviously this is totally moot if you've got a channeling cleric, a paladin with lay on hands, etc, but you really can't count on that in pfs.

Quote:
Superstition (Ex): The barbarian gains a +2 morale bonus on saving throws made to resist spells, supernatural abilities, and spell-like abilities. This bonus increases by +1 for every 4 levels the barbarian has attained. While raging, the barbarian cannot be a willing target of any spell and must make saving throws to resist all spells, even those cast by allies.

It say "willing target" and that has a specific meaning in Pathfinder. It isn't the same thing as "he can't willingly accept". It don't mean that you will punch in the face whoever try to cast a spell on you. It mean that, for the spells requiring that, you can't be a willing target. So it is not possible to cast teleport on a raging superstitious barbarian, but it is possible to cast any healing spell without him actively resist. simply his innate distrust make it resist the spell, hence the need to roll a save.

You can drink a potion, you simply are forced to try to save.

PRD - magic chapter wrote:

Target or Targets: Some spells have a target or targets.

...
Some spells restrict you to willing targets only. Declaring yourself as a willing target is something that can be done at any time (even if you're flat-footed or it isn't your turn). Unconscious creatures are automatically considered willing, but a character who is conscious but immobile or helpless (such as one who is bound, cowering, grappling, paralyzed, pinned, or stunned) is not automatically willing.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
The Sword wrote:

5ft step faq question

There are arguments on both sides and the words of the text can be construed to support either argument. Have a read through and ultimately speak to your group to see which way you want to play with and stick to it.

I'm disappointed that with 110 FAQs no-one picked this one up.

That FAQ request is badly worded. The reply to the generic question: "If I have an action interrupted by another characters readied action (or AoO), and my action is no longer valid as a result, can I choose to take a different action in place of the one that triggered the readied action?" is clear: no.

If you provoke a AoO casting a spell and lose you hae expended your standard action and you can't change your action.
After committing to an action you can't "take it back".

But that isn't what the OP is asking. What he ask is way more nuanced and require a different FAQ request.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
BrotherZael wrote:

@Diego Rossi

If what you say is true I shall acquiesce the point.

However, I was under the distinct impression that

"A character can go without water for 1 day plus a number of hours equal to his Constitution score. After this time, the character must make a Constitution check each hour (DC 10, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. Characters that take an amount of nonlethal damage equal to their total hit points begin to take lethal damage instead."

Which means not immediate death, thus being lethal damage without instantly killing the monster and thus is subject to regen.

HOWEVER!
"When the character fails one of these Constitution checks, she begins to suffocate. In the first round, she falls unconscious (0 hit points). In the following round, she drops to –1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, she suffocates."

So in the case of suffocation the creature bypass the concept of damage and instead is dealt (theoretically) pure constitution damage, kind of. In this case, as you said yourself, regen wouldn't apply.

So I guess the final answer is it can't die from starvation or thirst, but it can die from suffocation.

That why I wrote:

"The last level of damage dealt by suffocation is death. A creature can't regenerate back from that and is dead."
I can't claim the same thing for thirst or starvation.
it would be logic that at some point a creature would die by thirst or starvation even if it make all its saves, but there is not a rule supporting that.

After all we know some kind of creatures in RL that can stay in hibernation for decades, centuries or even millennia (viruses mostly).

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
SlimGauge wrote:

I believe Fuzzy Wuzzy and Bill Dunn to be RAI correct.

A preferred wording might have been "any extra or bonus attacks"
My original reading was akin to an implied oxford comma
"any bonus, or extra attacks".

Just for a laugh:

BAB = Base Attack Bonus

If Whirlwind Attack were to remove every bonus it would remove the BAB and the characteristic bonus.
Several attacks with a +0 to each dice rolled. What everyone want.
:)

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
CBDunkerson wrote:

I'm right handed. My left hand is my off hand.

Not for Pathfinder. You can switch your off hand as you wish (within the limit of the limbs that you can use to attack). It can be your right foot, your left hand or your left shoulder.

All could count as off hand if you are attacking with your right hand.

Next round you can choose your left hand as your primary hand and use either of your feet or knees, your right hand or right shoulder as your "off hand".

It has nothing to do with you being right or left handed or your hands.

You can even choose to attack with your knee as your primary hand (if you have Improved Unarmed Strike) and use the armor spikes on your right shoulder as a off hand weapon.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Angrimbor wrote:
Freelance writer does not mean amateur, it means not permanently employed. E.g., they pay him by the piece to write, he's not on retainer.

Search a bit the forum about errors in modules. Blatant errors like potions of personal use spells.

Freelance in no way is a guarantee about rule knowledge.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Rory wrote:

Does an Invulnerable Rager (barbarian archetype) damage reduction (EX ability) go away if subject to a polymorph spell?

Does an Abyssal bloodline (sorcerer) claws (SU ability to grow claws that last 1 round) and Demon Resistance (EX ability that gives electricity damage resistance and a save vs. point effects) go away if subject to a polymorph spell?

Does a Draconic bloodline (sorcerer) Dragon Resistances (EX ability that gives energy resistance and a natural armor bonus) go away if subject to a polymorph spell?

I would saynone of those go away as they are class abilities, so not dependent on "your original form". they depend on your class.

When you get the class ability it don't matter if you are a human, dwarf, asimaar or half dragon. You get it.
I don't think you should lose because you change your form.
It can become irrelevant (as an example different kinds of claws don't stack normally) ut it shouldn't be lost when you polymorph.

Some other GM can feel differently, so expect table variation. consult your GM.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mairn wrote:
Diego Rossi wrote:
_Ozy_ wrote:

Depends if this part of the polymorph section:

Quote:
While under the effects of a polymorph spell, you lose all extraordinary and supernatural abilities that depend on your original form

would apply, or whether:

Quote:

Change Shape (Su)

A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume the appearance of a specific creature or type of creature (usually a humanoid), but retains most of its own physical qualities.

overrides that portion of the polymorph description.

Not sure myself.

No, it don't override the polymorph description, look the SQ:

PRD wrote:


SQ change shape (humanoid or giant, alter self or giant form I)

It say exactly in what it can change and under what rules. He applies the rules that applies to the cited spells. So the whole polymorph paragraph of the magic chapter.

The specific description of change shape (retains its own qualities) overrides the general rules of polymorph (loses its own qualities). Thats how the rules of Pathfinder work.

+

Read the ability description:

PRD wrote:

Change Shape (Su) A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume the appearance of a specific creature or type of creature (usually a humanoid), but retains most of its own physical qualities. A creature cannot change shape to a form more than one size category smaller or larger than its original form. This ability functions as a polymorph spell, the type of which is listed in the creature's description, but the creature does not adjust its ability scores (although it gains any other abilities of the creature it mimics). Unless otherwise stated, it can remain in an alternate form indefinitely. Some creatures, such as lycanthropes, can transform into unique forms with special modifiers and abilities. These creatures do adjust their ability scores, as noted in their description.

Format: change shape (wolf, beast form I); Location: SQ, and in special abilities for creatures with a unique listing.

So: "functions as a polymorph spell ... but the creature does not adjust its ability scores". That is what "retains most of its own physical qualities" mean.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
_Ozy_ wrote:

Depends if this part of the polymorph section:

Quote:
While under the effects of a polymorph spell, you lose all extraordinary and supernatural abilities that depend on your original form

would apply, or whether:

Quote:

Change Shape (Su)

A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume the appearance of a specific creature or type of creature (usually a humanoid), but retains most of its own physical qualities.

overrides that portion of the polymorph description.

Not sure myself.

No, it don't override the polymorph description, look the SQ:

PRD wrote:


SQ change shape (humanoid or giant, alter self or giant form I)

It say exactly in what it can change and under what rules. He applies the rules that applies to the cited spells. So the whole polymorph paragraph of the magic chapter.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
andreww wrote:
Matthew Downie wrote:

I think I could still make a case that RAW, scry & fry doesn't work with Greater Teleport. The spell works like teleport except where otherwise stated. The 'you must know the location' clause is not specifically excluded. You don't have to have seen the location, but if you haven't you need a reliable description. Scrying doesn't say it gives you a reliable description.

Teleport explicitly calls out scrying as providing sufficient information to allow you to teleport as "viewed once".

As said several times in this thread, it is not clear at all if "scrying" in the level of familiarity description refer to the spell Scrying, to the divination (scrying) class of spells and powers or to the general english meaning of scrying (there are a few ways of magically scrying an area that have little or nothing to do with the scrying sub school of magic).

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Activating a wand require a command word, spoken clearly.

If the player want to complain on the basis of some real life experience (and none of us has the perception a lot of PC and NPC have), ask them if they hear people speaking in the street when they are at home with the windows closed

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
PRD wrote:
Opportune Parry and Riposte (Ex): At 1st level, when an opponent makes a melee attack against the swashbuckler, she can spend 1 panache point and expend a use of an attack of opportunity to attempt to parry that attack. The swashbuckler makes an attack roll as if she were making an attack of opportunity; for each size category the attacking creature is larger than the swashbuckler, the swashbuckler takes a –2 penalty on this roll. If her result is greater than the attacking creature's result, the creature's attack automatically misses.

To me it seem that she can "expend a use of an attack of opportunity" meant that the swashbuckler need to be able to make attack of opportunity, so the ability don't work if she is flat footed and unable to make attacks of opportunity.

I wouldn't allow her to make an Opportune Parry and Riposte against an opponent if she is unable to make an attack of opportunity against that opponent, but I can't say if that is RAW or not. For sure the parry roll applies all the modifiers the character would apply to an attack of opportunity, miss chance for concealment included.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Murdock Mudeater wrote:
_Ozy_ wrote:
You don't need fabricate for diamond dust when you can just use a hammer.

Hammer's really aren't very good for diamond dust, unless you just want bits of diamonds flying in every direction and dents in your hammer/anvil.

For diamond dust, you are probably using the byproduct of the gem-crafting process for cutting the diamonds. It's unlikely that entire diamonds are being ground into dust, as the hardness of diamonds makes grinding them an expensive prospect (destroys tools quickly, in real life).

Diamonds can be melted down and poured into molds. The act of melting them down ruins any polishing or cuts, but you can create bigger diamonds from smaller diamonds (in real life, without magic). With magic like Fabricate, you could transform several cut gems directly into larger cut gems.

Mohs scale of mineral hardness is about what can scratch what. It is not about resisting blows.

Iron has a hardness of 4-5, quartz of 7 on that scale. Quartz can scratch iron, but if you hit a piece of quartz with a iron hammer it shatter.

"Diamonds can be melted down and poured into molds." Source for that piece of information?
Diamonds can be made artificially, but you don't take existing diamond, melt them down and poor them in a mold. The process is way more complicated.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Aziraya Zhwan wrote:

So now with new information, I have some questions and warnings regarding the use of 3.5 material.

The main question is "Did you tell them 3.5 material was ok in advance?" If so, the player was well within his right to be a bit upset that you were telling him that he couldn't do something that you (basically) told him in advance would be ok, and you should probably stick to your word and allow the 3.5 version. If not though, I would explain to him that the game you're playing is Pathfinder, not DnD 3.5, and every source that pertains to 3.5 has zero relevancy to the rules and workings of your campaign. If you want to allow some 3.5 stuff that's perfectly fine and there are a lot of really good options in there that didn't get ported over to Pathfinder. However, make it very clear to him that if he wants to use something from 3.5 then he needs to discuss it with you beforehand. Especially as a new GM you don't want your players to just be grabbing at whatever source tickles their fancy that you then have no way to keep track of.

Yes, they're very compatible, but there will certainly be some things that simply don't mesh well between the two systems and it may become very tedious keeping track if a player is using a 3.5 version of something or the Pathfinder version of something.

The best option is "3.5 materials can be accepted, but it must be decided on a case by case basis".

3.5 had a lot of splat books and third party materials. A blanket statement is is almost guaranteed to cause problems.

And the Pathfinder version should take precedence it there is a Pathfinder version of the ability.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Haven been busy playing PFO.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Trimalchio wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
Murdock Mudeater wrote:
Why did it even matter? It mattered enough to argue with your GM apparently.

In particular, it was a permanent spell, i.e. one he'd paid to acquire with permanency. If it "ends" (is effectively dispelled) by his death, than he's wasted a large amount of gold.

My go-to solution for such things is to get continuous magical items, but many GMs don't like those. My guess (though it's only a guess, as I really don't know the guy) is that this GM doesn't like the permanent magical access - something many GMs find frustrating for various reasons -, and so ruled against it persisting beyond death.

That said, it could also just be his genuine impression of how it's "supposed" to work - what makes sense to him.

Either way, there are other methods of getting stuff, and I recommend those, in general. :)

EDIT: To be clear, I recognize that you understood (and addressed) the issue of permanency, but that, I think, is the core of the reason the question mattered in the first place.

Permanency is significantly cheaper than a continuous magic item, and multiple permanency effects can be done a day as opposed to multiple days of crafting for one item (yes an item might be purchased, even a custom item if the a GM is generous, but sourcing these items is more difficult than expending spell slots and tossing diamond dust to the gods).

My guess is the player just wants a favorable ruling and doesn't care about rules, world building, balance, etc etc

That's actually not my guess, just an exercise in countering one silly argument with another silly one.

For everyone saying there are no rules for this or that, please look in the mirror and realize there are no rules for the opposite conclusion, certainly nothing explicit.

"Only" a whole paragraph that say when a spell end, with very clear conditions. None is "at the death of the target".

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Matthew Downie wrote:
Let's say I cast Enlarge Person and Dominate Person on someone and then kill him and bring him back as an undead creature. Is he still affected normally by those spells even though he is no longer a valid target for them?

Enlarge person: yes. It is the same body.

Dominate person: yes, but you are dominating the original person, not the undead you just created. They are different creatures.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
CampinCarl9127 wrote:
Diego Rossi wrote:

For the Nth time: you are houseruling.

Show any piece of the rules that say that you must recheck a target validity after a spell or SLA or supernatural or exceptional ability has been resolved.

Show any piece of the rules that say a spell's effects persist once there is no longer a valid target.

This is not something that is covered either way. There is nothing that says spells persist after death. There is nothing that says spells dissipate after death. There is no solid evidence on either side of the argument. If you're the GM consider what is reasonable and use your best judgement, or if you're the player ask your GM. Expect table variance.

Here it is:

PRD wrote:

Duration

A spell's duration entry tells you how long the magical energy of the spell lasts.

Timed Durations: Many durations are measured in rounds, minutes, hours, or other increments. When the time is up, the magic goes away and the spell ends. If a spell's duration is variable, the duration is rolled secretly so the caster doesn't know how long the spell will last.

Instantaneous: The spell energy comes and goes the instant the spell is cast, though the consequences might be long-lasting.

Permanent: The energy remains as long as the effect does. This means the spell is vulnerable to dispel magic.

Concentration: The spell lasts as long as you concentrate on it. Concentrating to maintain a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Anything that could break your concentration when casting a spell can also break your concentration while you're maintaining one, causing the spell to end. See concentration.

You can't cast a spell while concentrating on another one. Some spells last for a short time after you cease concentrating.

Subjects, Effects, and Areas: If the spell affects creatures directly, the result travels with the subjects for the spell's duration. If the spell creates an effect, the effect lasts for the duration. The effect might move or remain still. Such an effect can be destroyed prior to when its duration ends. If the spell affects an area, then the spell stays with that area for its duration.

Creatures become subject to the spell when they enter the area and are no longer subject to it when they leave.

Touch Spells and Holding the Charge: In most cases, if you don't discharge a touch spell on the round you cast it, you can hold the charge (postpone the discharge of the spell) indefinitely. You can make touch attacks round after round until the spell is discharged. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates.

Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets as part of the spell. You can't hold the charge of such a spell; you must touch all targets of the spell in the same round that you finish casting the spell.

Discharge: Occasionally a spells lasts for a set duration or until triggered or discharged.

(D) Dismissible: If the duration line ends with "(D)," you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell's effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell's verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

A spell that depends on concentration is dismissible by its very nature, and dismissing it does not take an action, since all you have to do to end the spell is to stop concentrating on your turn.

CampinCarl9127 wrote:
The duration of a spell has nothing to do with conditions that eliminate spells.
CampinCarl9127 wrote:
*Sigh* this is my point. There is not evidence on either side. Each side is trying to put burden of proof on the other, and there is no proof on either side. This is a rules argument where the rules are ambiguous. You cannot win by saying "If you can't produce rules that prove your point, then I am correct". That is a logical fallacy.

False, read what I cited above.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

For the Nth time: you are houseruling.

Show any piece of the rules that say that you must recheck a target validity after a spell or SLA or supernatural or exceptional ability has been resolved.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Torbyne wrote:
I wonder if the lack of a blog is more due to the PDT being baffled by our collective difficulties in understanding it or perhaps they themselves dont agree on where the limits should be.

The latter probably. And asking themselves how many things the reply will affect.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
wraithstrike wrote:

The rules don't often make sense. They are there for game balance.

The rule only says that you can not end movement in an occupied square.
It does not automatically let you know that someone is there.

Can a GM assume that the character bumped into the invisible creature and could not stay there? Sure

A GM could also say you don't know the creature is there and you progress is halted "because the book said so".

If one wants claim auto-detection of a creature they need to provide some rules. Otherwise stand an FAQ because right now, as far as the rules go, nothing is supporting it.

By rule the character know that there is something in the square that made impossible for him to enter it.

He don't know what or who it is, but he can attack the square.

By rules you don't need to know that there is someone/thing in a square, you can attack blindly, hoping for the best.

Combine the two and you get "there is some kind of obstacle in this square, I take a swipe at it."
It is not "auto-detection" of someone invisible.

wraithstrike wrote:


Some are saying that an invisible creature in this occupied square is automatically detected.

The other side is saying that you have to stop in the last legal square, but you don't automatically know that a creature is the reason why.

Not what they are saying Wraith. They are saying that you know that there is a invisible obstacle. You don't know if it is a dragon paw, a invisible wall, a invisible character or some other thing.

you can guess, but you don't know.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

You pay the penalties of the squares you enter, not those of the square you are leaving.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

LOL

I have lot's of opinions. Most of them are even valid.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Weapon and natural weapons are different. I am not convinced it work but it can be interpreted differently.
Aspect table variations and ask your GM are the only possible replies.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Quintain wrote:

Is it permissible to have a magical item duplicate the abilities of a prestige class (in this case, supernatural effects)? If so, what kind of costs are involved/how would costs be recommended to be calculated?

Prestige Class: Elocator

Abilities to be duplicated:
Aerial Acrobatics: (add fly skill ranks to acrobatics, and vice versa)
Personal Gravity: change "down direction" as long as they are within 1' of a sufficiently stable solid/liquid, etc)
Scorn Earth: continuous limited air walk
Terminal Velocity: Cannot fall, as long as personal gravity or scorn earth are active.

A ability of a non Paizo prestige class ....

Well, let's have a bit of fun and try to price it.

"Aerial Acrobatics: (add fly skill ranks to acrobatics, and vice versa)"

Essentially a +20 to one skill. 20*20*100=40,000

"Personal Gravity: change "down direction" as long as they are within 1' of a sufficiently stable solid/liquid, etc)"

Better than constant spider climb. We use the Slippers of Spider Climbing, but it hasn't a duration while the slippers are equivalent to a 1 daily use item, so 24,000.

"Scorn Earth: continuous limited air walk" Air walk in all respects, with a speed reduction.
4th level permanent spell. 4*7*2,000=56,000, it is slow, so 30% price reduction. 40,000

"Terminal Velocity: Cannot fall, as long as personal gravity or scorn earth are active." Permanent levitate. 2*3*2.000= 10,000

All in one package: 40,000+24,000*1.5+40,000*1.5+10,000*1.5= 151,000 gp

Quintain wrote:


I was asking for suggestions on the price, not whether it should be created or not. So, as long as one sticks to the questions asked, it is a rules question.

"Psionics Unleashed. Copyright 2010, Dreamscarred Press."

Maybe, but it is a Dreamscarred Press rule question.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Spindoc wrote:

Thank you guys for the quick replys!

Thats sad day for me I guess being as paizo has decided to, once again, vaguley define their own game (pet peeve of mine) :/. But I see what youre talking about that despite being an enormously common part of the game, how death interacts with abilities and spell effects has no rule and is left to interpretation, among a very long list of other things...

On a more positive note, I do appreciate the replies and even though I am still thoroughly unconvinced my spell effect ends, I suppose I can at least take heart in the fact that even though it sucks... I do understand that my gm is not just trying to spite me; its just what he thinks is the most logical conculsion without further explicit proof

LOL: "vaguley define", "pet peeve of mine".

You GM make an oddball interpretation of the rules, based on nothing and you harp against Paizo?
Find a better reason to do that, this time you are wrong.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
StabbittyDoom wrote:


If we presume that the spell is merely suppressed,
...
If we presume that the spell is dispelled if you become an invalid target, then effects targeting your body would be dispelled, but those that affect your mind/spirit would remain.

Why spell should be dispelled or suppressed because you aren't a valid target anymore?

The validity of the target is determined when the spell is cast. Not after the effect has been applied or the next week.

Ruling otherwise, beside not following the rules, would make plenty of spells useless.

Some random example:

PRD wrote:


Color Spray
2 HD or less: The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)

3 or 4 HD: The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

Sightless creatures are not affected by color spray.

Color spray blinds creatures with 4 HD or less. But blind creature are immune to it. So as soon as the targets are blinded color spray stop affecting them?

Invisibility

Unless the caster has see invisibility/true seeing or he is touching the target he can't cast a spell on an invisible target.
So all targeted spells stop functioning when you become invisible (invisibility included)? Better than any form of dispel magic "become invisible, it will defeat any curse."

Target creature or object touched

Any spell with a target of creature touched is suppressed as soon as you aren't touching the target anymore?

Sorry, but checking a spell target again after a spell has been cast and the effect resolved is insane.
With a large part of the spells with a duration it would mean that they end as soon as they are cast.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Gwen Smith wrote:
Duncan7291 wrote:
Dave Justus wrote:

I tend to try to give what I think would be most important to the party. I have never even considered letting the Players ask questions, and don't think I would, primarily because there are thousands of good valid questions, but most only apply to a subset of monsters. I think it would be a huge disadvantage to require the players to ask questions to get the important information.

I disagree. I think this is how it should work as knowledge isn't always useful. I may know 10 facts about a particular monster but if no one told me that it was vulnerable to fire then I wouldn't know that. I think it also gets the players to think critically about how they handle various encounters (in particular when they only get 1 or 2 questions). Alas, I think this can be chalked up to table/local variation on terms of how its handled.

The knowledge skill description specifically says you remember useful information. That's in the rules.

If you want to dole out "useless" information for flavor, go ahead, but making the check means you get "useful" information.

Useful isn't the same thing as unknown to the player.

As DM_Blake said the first thing someone will recall about red dragons is that they breathe fire. Then it can vary.
Useful information:
- they are fast but relatively clumsy fliers.
- they are very strong and resistant (high strength and constitution) but not so agile (average dexterity)
- they are typical magic resistance (have SR, a caster with the same Cr of the dragon has about 50% chance of success)
- they have a modest DR that increase with age against non magical weapons
and so on.

If you are a member of a fourteen level party where no one lack a magical weapon don't make knowing that it has DR/magic a useless information. It can be useless to you, but "useful information" isn't about their utility for you, it is about "general utility in the game world".

As DM_Blake say, it is what people record after an encounter with the creature, not what a fourteen level character want to know.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Scythia wrote:


I suspect what's being pointed out is that the Touch Attack rules specifically say "with a touch spell", which everyone has just established that Produce Flame is not. Therefore, there's no basis from which to assume the text following that applies to Produce Flame, such as "is considered an armed attack", which everyone seems to think does apply to Produce Flame.

Sure.

Like Flame Blade, Produce Flame give the caster a weapon, not a attack armed by a touch spell.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Meager Rolmug wrote:

I believe most of the "confusion" about this spell results directly form the core rule book paragraphs...

Touch Spells in Combat: Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) as a free action. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.

Touch Attacks: Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The act of casting a spell, however, does provoke an attack of opportunity. Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks and ranged touch attacks. You can score critical hits with either type of attack as long as the spell deals damage. Your opponent's AC against a touch attack does not include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. His size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) all apply normally.

If you read them both all the way through, without aligning their meaning to preconceived notions, "touch spells" are never clearly defined as this or that. "Many spells have a range of touch." is NOT the same as..."all touch spells have a range of touch". Apparently this IS what it means, but is poorly written.

Furthermore,"Touch Attacks: Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity." Is a unclear sentence because it includes "with a touch spell" in it, instead of "Touching an opponent with a offensive/damaging spell". Now we now these rules apply to things like produce flame.

Make these 2 changes and most anybody will understand it straight off.

What is a touch spell is is defined in the magic chapter.

That is the appropriate section to define it and there is no reason to repeat the definition in the combat chapter.

Similarly the damage, threat range and critical multiplier of a bow or dagger are described in the equipment chapter and aren't repeated when you speak of ranged or melee attacks in the combat chapter.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

@2 Hit die, let's accept your idea that the faerie fire effect isn't duplicated.
what it do: it negate concealment.
What do mirror image? Read the spell text:

PRD wrote:
Whenever you are attacked or are the target of a spell that requires an attack roll, there is a possibility that the attack targets one of your images instead. If the attack is a hit, roll randomly to see whether the selected target is real or a figment.

There is no consideration there about being able to select the target you want to hit.

So even if only one of the images is outlined by faerie fire, you can't target it bypassing the effect of mirror image.

To do that you need a spell that explicitly overcome mirror image.

And another thing: repeating the same phrase over and over don't make you right.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Meager Rolmug wrote:


...
Yes it helps to think of produce flame as a splash weapon, but that IS NOT the first thing the vast majority of people unfamiliar with a spell are going to compare it to, in order to understand how it works. They are(like me) going to compare it to other spells they have experience with. And confusion is all but unavoidable, since for many that will mean touch spells. Saying it shouldn't be confusing...is basically saying we are all idiots, i reject that statement(because it IS confusing at first) and resent it.

I you compare it to another spell, you should compare it to this:

PRD wrote:


Flame Blade
School evocation [fire]; Level druid 2
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, DF
Range 0 ft.
Effect sword-like beam
Duration 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance yes

A 3-foot-long, blazing beam of red-hot fire springs forth from your hand. You wield this blade-like beam as if it were a scimitar. Attacks with the flame blade are melee touch attacks. The blade deals 1d8 points of fire damage + 1 point per two caster levels (maximum +10). Since the blade is immaterial, your Strength modifier does not apply to the damage. A flame blade can ignite combustible materials such as parchment, straw, dry sticks, and cloth.

You aren't an idiot, you are uninformed, and that is curable asking information (what you did) and processing them. The problem is that now you are resentful for the help received.

When you look a spell stat block you should look the whole statblock, if you only read part of it and assume what is in the other parts you will incur in several errors.

Consider touch spell and armed touch attacks.

PRD wrote:
Touch Attacks: Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The act of casting a spell, however, does provoke an attack of opportunity. Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks and ranged touch attacks. You can score critical hits with either type of attack as long as the spell deals damage. Your opponent's AC against a touch attack does not include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. His size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) all apply normally.

When I first came to these boards I participated in a a long discussion as I was convinced there was something like a "offensive touch spell" and that only those spells counted as armed attacks.

After a while the posts of the people explaining how it work clarified to me that any touch spell count as an armed attack. Even if you are casting (for whatever reason) invisibility on your opponent.
And I had already played the 3rd edition of D&D for 10 years at that point.

Sometime we use mental shortcuts and we miss crucial information.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This reply from SKR made when he still was a developer and the one in charge of replying to questions made in the forum is enough?

Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Sep 24, 2011, 02:43 am
Oliver McShade and the Core Ruleook wrote:
"It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be necessary."
A wizard and a cleric cooperating to craft a scroll of cure light wounds are, between the two of them, meeting all of the prerequisites for the item's creation. Thus, the "you cannot create this if you don't meet all the prerequisites" rule on page 549 does not apply, because "you" in the case of cooperative crafting is "the people involved in crafting the item."

It is here.

And:

PRD - Ultimate Campaign wrote:

Cooperative Crafting

If you need another character to supply one of an item's requirements (such as if you're a wizard creating an item with a divine spell), both you and the other character must be present for the entire duration of the crafting process. If the GM is using the downtime system, both you and the other character must use downtime at the same time for this purpose. Only you make the skill check to complete the item—or, if there is a chance of creating a cursed item, the GM makes the check in secret.

If the second character is providing a spell effect, that character's spell is expended for the day, just as if you were using one of your own spells for a requirement. If the second character is a hired NPC, you must pay for the NPC's spellcasting service for each day of the item creation.

FAQ wrote:

Crafting and Bypassing Requirements: What crafting requirements can you bypass by adding +5 to the DC of your Spellcraft check?

As presented on page 549 of the Core Rulebook, there are no limitations other than (1) you have to have the item creation feat, and (2) you cannot create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completion magic items without meeting their spell prerequisites. So racial requirements, specific spell requirements, math requirements (such as "caster level must be at least three times the enhancement bonus"), and so on, are all subject to the +5 DC rule.

If you need to find an outside source for the requirements you lack, this FAQ has no reason to exist.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Murdock Mudeater wrote:
Ed Reppert wrote:
I might have known that it would require a feat — and that there would be one for it. Thanks, folks.

Natural spell works, but there are other ways too.

You can use metamagic feats to remove the components of the spell that you lack in wild shape.

Eschew Materials is also a good option for casting while transformed.

There are also a few druid archetypes that gain additional wild shape forms which would be able to cast normally while transformed (though you'd still need eschew materials because your gear melds into your form). The Naga Aspirant specifically can, while you could make a sound arguement for a Mountain Druid using the giant shape option of her wild shape.

Multi-classing could also yield good results. The Oracle already has some nifty curse options to remove spell component requirements.

Eschew Materials don't remove the need to use Divine Focuses, and a good number of druid spells require them.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

That tiny island has a huge population of extremely gifted spellcasting families.
They are all members of the Do'Urden family?

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
CampinCarl9127 wrote:
Imbicatus wrote:
You can make Handle Animal int based with clever wordplay if you wanted to dump CHA.

Oh good. Now I can use handle animal with my druid's oh-so-important intelligence stat.

:P

If you want to dump intelligence and charisma, it is your choice. But it is a bit absurd to lament the consequences.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mysterious Stranger wrote:
If something is moving around so much you can’t hit switching to a different tactic is not metagaming that is common sense. In the real world I can actually see how far I missed by and how fast the person is moving. I can also see if I was so far off my aim that he did not even seem to bother with it, or if he moved aside at the last second nimbly avoiding my attack. Unless the GM is giving incredibly detailed in his descriptions there is no way to get this information. Too often I have seen the GM just tell you if you hit or missed. The characters are not blind and neither should the players be.

Very easy to describe without giving away the actual ACs.

You miss the target Touch AC: "you have missed the enemy"
You hit the touch AC but you mis the total AC? "The though hide/armor of the enemy stop your blow."

You know why you have missed, but not by how much.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:


RAW states you know when a person has made the saving throw vs your spell.

Succeeding on a Saving Throw: A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature's saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell, you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.

As to how it happens it could be any number of things. For the reflex save simply seeing them dodge the effect would work. For a will save maybe you sense the spell hitting the persons mind. The point is that magic like many parts of the game is kind of abstract so the best way to let the player know is to simply tell them what...

You know when someone saves against a targeted spell. Not when he saves against area spells and effects.

Technically you wouldn't even know if someone saved or not against disintegrate, as the disintegration ray is an effect not a targeted spell (but the number of damage dice that you roll is a clear indication if the target has saved or not).

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Skylancer4 wrote:
Devilkiller wrote:
I'd say it should work, and I wouldn't expect too much controversy since your blocking the attack with your weapon. I've seen greater doubts when my PC tries to block a touch attack with Crane Wing since people reason that the monster is still coming into contact with him. The fact that shields don't count against touch attacks strikes me as pretty weird. I mean, incorporeal creatures could reach right through them, but it seems like a shield should be able to obstruct a caster with a held charge...oh well...

In general, the game considers gear you wear to be "you." Basically anything you are holding and wearing gets your saves/defenses barring special/specific rules. This also goes the other way, touching "you" is the same as touching your personal body. Be it the shield you are holding, the weapon you attack with, the armor over the clothes you wear, it is "you."

The touch attack doesn't require any real accuracy or force, just the barest contact to unleash its effect. So the game doesn't differentiate between the 3inches of steel on your shoulder or the inch and half of steel your shoving against the opponent to make it difficult to hit you.

Skylancer4 is right.

Note that the held charge wouldn't discharge, if you "parry" with crane wing probably you aren't touching th attacker hand, instead you are hitting his arm to deflect it (don't ask how that work when you are deflecting a dragon bite).

Relevant FAQ:

FAQ CRB wrote:


Deflecting Attacks: Does an attack that is deflected count as a miss?

It depends on the ability that is deflecting the attack.
For example, the Deflect Arrows feat says, "Once per round when you would normally be hit with an attack from a ranged weapon, you may deflect it so that you take no damage from it." It doesn't say the attack is a miss or is treated as a miss--instead, you take no damage from the attack. Because it is not a miss, effects that would trigger on a miss (such as Efreeti Style or Snake Fang from Ultimate Combat) are not triggered.
Likewise, the Crane Wing feat (Ultimate Combat) uses similar language and does not say the deflected attack is a miss or treated as a miss.
Note that the Snatch Arrows feat counts as a deflected attack--you do not take damage if you choose to catch the weapons instead of just deflecting it, and catching the weapon does not mean the attack was a miss.
Update 5/29/13: If the attack is deflected, not only does the target take no damage, but any other effects (ability drain, negative levels, harmful conditions, and so on) associated with that attack do not occur. If the deflected attack is a touch spell or other effect that requires "holding the charge," the charge is not expended. For example, if a ghoul's claw attack is deflected, the target is not subject to the ghoul's paralysis ability from the attack. If a shocking grasp touch attack is deflected, the attacker is still "holding the charge." The Crane Wing feat will be updated in a future printing of Ultimate Combat to clarify these issues.

Please, add some favorite to this thread asking for a FAQ search feature.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I think that this kind of argument is always missing a key word: "potential".

Spellcasters with 9 levels of spells have a lot of potential narrative power.

But the guy with diplomacy +30 has a lot of narrative power too. Starting with a unfriendly guy he can move it to friendly with a roll of 1 (unless the target has a charisma bonus) and then ask him favors.
The target will reveal an important secret with a die roll of -10
Reveal an important secret DC 10 + creature's Cha modifier +10 or more, so DC 20+
or
Give aid that could result in punishment +15 or more
so a DC of 25+
die roll needed to get that -5!

Why that "potential" narrative is rarely a problem? Because generally applying it require playing time, time in the gaming world and the GM will not allow excessive requests.

Now the "potential" narrative power of spellcaster. Some of that is inapplicable outside of campaigns whit a lot of downtime.
Sure, a spellcaster can create a demiplane spending from 2 to 6 hours casting the appropriate spell. How often that spell was used in your campaign?
He can resurrect a disintegrated friend. Oh, wait, you are suggesting to make that a lower level spell, so I suppose that you feel that forever losing a character to a bad save sucks.
Teleport? You can read my posts in other threads, my opinion is that if you read the spell, even with greater teleport you sill need a reliable description of the destination. knowing that a city called New York exist isn't enough. You need a description of an area of the city.
We can go on for a long list of supposed overpowered options available to spellcasters. Some actually exist, but most of them depend on overly permissive reading of the rules or require a lot of time rarely available in a campaign.

So, my opinion is that you are trying to cure something that mostly isn't related with higher level spells but on GMing and players exploits.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Pathfinder Design Team wrote:

Answered in FAQ!

FAQ wrote:

Flight and Magical Flight: Can a paralyzed or stunned creature keep flying with magical flight? Does a creature with magical flight not apply bonuses or penalties to Fly checks because it doesn’t have a “natural” fly speed? Does flying make a creature immune to being flat-footed?

No, any creature that loses all actions can’t take an action to attempt a Fly check to hover in place and thus automatically falls. That includes a paralyzed, stunned, or dazed creature. Magical flight doesn’t act any differently, even for paralysis, as it isn’t a purely mental action. A creature with 0 Dexterity can’t fly, and paralysis sets a creature’s Dexterity to 0. Despite the fact that the Fly skill mentions that bonuses and penalties from maneuverability apply to creatures with natural fly speeds, they apply for any fly speed. If they didn’t apply to creatures that gained flight artificially or through magic, then those maneuverabilities (like the listed good maneuverability for the fly spell) would have no game effect. Finally, the statement “You are not considered flat-footed while flying” means that flying (unlike balancing using Acrobatics or climbing) doesn’t automatically make you flat-footed or force you to lose your Dexterity bonus to AC; it doesn’t mean that flying makes you immune to being caught flat-footed.

I suppose you will change the text of the fly skill in the next reprinting of the CRB.

There is a problem with the current text and this FAQ:

PRD wrote:
If you are using wings and you fail a Fly check by 5 or more, you plummet to the ground, taking the appropriate falling damage (see Environment).

That rule seem to imply that if you are not using wings to fly you can fail a fly check by any amount and not fall to the ground.

The FAQ say the exact opposite:
PRD wrote:
No, any creature that loses all actions can’t take an action to attempt a Fly check to hover in place and thus automatically falls.

so the FAQ is an errata to that text.

- * -

Just for the record, if you fail a fly check while using the Fly spell, you don't benefit from the Feather fall effect it give when the spell end, right?

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
TheAlicornSage wrote:

A character is considered in combat at any time they expect or are otherwise prepared for combat.

Thus, characters that are ready for a shady meeting to devolve into combat will not be flat footed when some folks start attacking others, because they were prepared for it in combat, and past their first round in combat, even if the round wasn't played out as a structured round of play by the players. Likewise, in an arena or a duel, the characters are in combat before the first attack because they are ready and expecting it.

If I were the GM and you were saying "I enter the meeting ready for combat, so that I can't be surprised" I would give you huge penalties to any attempt at diplomacy (not at intimidate) as you are obviously ready to attack. Even worse if you were using total defense while parleying as someone suggested, that is an active use of an ability, so you are constantly dodging while speaking.

In that kind of tense situation I would call for Sense motive checks (possibly with a bonus) to see if you are surprised or not when violence start.

PRD wrote:

Surprise

...
Determining awareness may call for Perception checks or other checks.

About duels: what kind of duel?

European style with sword where you start at a few feet from each other and salute before beginning?
Initiative start at the salute, it is a standard act, so no surprise.

European style with pistols, move 20 paces, turn and fire?
The initiative start when you start moving.

Cowboy style with pistol and whoever draw fist shoot first?
At least judging from the movies you can get the opponent flat footed.

Japanese style with swords and jajitsu?
The fast draw and attack an opponent that is not ready is the core of the idea.

You can be aware of the existence of the other person, aware that violence can stat at any moment, but the exact second at which it will start isn't always so clear.

Several of the problems I have seen cited before your post (mostly "ready an action before combat begin") are related to setting up an ambush. from what I recall there was a rule about that in the D&D 3 rulebook, but it seem that there isn't one in Pathfinder.

"We are ready to attack anyone bursting through the door"/"We kick down the door and fire our bows/cast our spells against the occupant of the door" are typical ambush situations where, if the ambush work, one side is flatfooted while the other benefit from a surprise round.
That kind of thing require a lot of GM adjudication. What is more important, the orcs in the room waiting for the attackers that have killed their comrades making a lot of noise or the the adventurers thinking that behind the door there will be some hostile creature?
How fast they can analyze what they see and react?

If both sides aspect mayhem and are ready I would have them roll initiative when the door is opened, the order in which they act show who was faster in analyzing the situation and reacting, I wouldn't allow them to say "I have a ready action, so go first automatically!".
In other situations that could be possible, but it would never be "I declare a ready action so I am never surprised".

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Cavall, maybe you should read again that FAQ:

FAQ wrote:


Headband of Vast Intelligence: If I wear this item, do I get retroactive skill ranks for my Int increase in addition to the skill ranks associated with the item?

No. The skill associated with the magic item represents the "retroactive" skill ranks you'd get from the item increasing your Intelligence. You don't get the item's built-in skill ranks and another set to assign however you want.

It don't say that you don't get the retroactive skill ranks, it say that the retroactive skill ranks are determined by the item.

When something give you an increase in intelligence without assigning the newly gained skill ranks you get to spend them normally.

Generally that applies when you get an inherent bonus to intelligence or when you raise it with the increase you get every 4 levels.

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Cavall wrote:
Ashiel wrote:
Cavall wrote:

FAQ/Errata

If I wear a headband of vast intelligence, do I get retroactive skill ranks for my Int increase in addition to the skill ranks associated with the item?

No. 

Seems pretty clear.

Last I checked it's still in the rules. There's no exception to the rule called out. So at best the FAQ can tell you the RAI but the rules are still that permanent Int increases grant skill points and the bonus ranks of the Headband are an effect of the headband item.

This is why you have to be careful when writing rules.

Likewise, there are magic items that still work in the traditional sense. For example, there are Ioun stones that just grant bonuses to Int without the extra skill point clause and thus just grants the normal skill points for increasing your Int.

Skill points are granted. They are not retro actively granted.

It's pretty clear. That's why they give you a skill tied to it.

At best the FAQ can tell you it's a frequent question and at best an errata can tell you is the official answer. Making it the rules

Actually, intelligence score increases from advancing in level or getting inherent bonuses increase you total skill bonus, and that is applied retroactively to all your levels.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Theta Thief wrote:

Wow I'm not gonna lie I love all the discussion this has generated between everyone.

I appreciate everyone's advice and criticisms. I will admit it does look like there are some easy ways for us to get through these locks now. Aid another is so simple a solution we completely overlooked it. Though I do have to ask, since I don't have a rulebook with me. Can you aid another in a skill you have no training or even a skill point in?

As far as the spells the Witch is kinda obviously our main offensive caster so the only non-damaging spell she has is CLW for Emergencies and the Bard can't caste 2nd level magic (i.e. Cat's Grace) until level 4. We are currently level 3. As for guidance as far as I know that is not a bard spell. The Witch might be able to but like I said she hasn't been looking at support spells it may be a suggestion for her next level up.

As for the suggestion of an Archaeologist. I do appreciate the idea but this is the player's first swing at a magic class so we tried to keep it simple for her. Plus the character's main skill is Perform (Dance) and she plays her like a stripper and I honestly don't think anything but the cold hard death of this character will stop her lol. She just loves her to damn much. And no before you guys get all mean about we are not going to kill her character just so she will play one more suited for the AP.

As for the metagaming comment I made earlier I apologize I wasn't trying to be rude or offensive it's just at the time of writing it I interpreted someone else comment about our party composition and are dislike for metagaming as an attack and insult towards us as players. Whether or not that's true doesn't matter I shouldn't have reacted that way and again I apologize. To be clear I don't hate people who metagame or metagaming in of itself all that much it's just not what I and my group like to do. When people tell us to do so and I reply that we don't do that and their reply is non-helpful and or that we are "doing it wrong" it offends me greatly.

PRD wrote:
In cases where the skill restricts who can achieve certain results, such as trying to open a lock using Disable Device, you can't aid another to grant a bonus to a task that your character couldn't achieve alone. The GM might impose further restrictions to aiding another on a case-by-case basis as well.

To use aid another you need to have at least skill point in disable device.

Guidance is a cantrip and the witch know it:

PRD wrote:


A witch's familiar begins play storing all of the 0-level witch spells plus three 1st-level spells of the witch's choice.

CLW is a spell damaging against the undead and a witch has very few useful spells or hex against them.

I hope she has a good patron.

Bard: arcane strike is very useful for them, especially if you have little magic.
In CC 1 our bard saved us several time with a well placed dart and arcane strike, or trowing holy water and magical stones made by the cleric.

Theta Thief wrote:
Matthew Downie wrote:


Most people don't consider what happens during character creation to be metagaming at all - of course you're using out-of-character knowledge, because the character doesn't exist yet, and how else can you ensure your character is appropriate for the campaign ahead? If you call that metagaming, people will be offended.

I guess I can understand that but, that's just not the way we view it. Our characters only belong to one person. The player not the group. When we make them we make them separately (not in front of each other) and while we may not write entire books about them we do make up backstories for them.

Let me put it to you this way. Think of it in real world terms. A cop doesn't choose to become a cop because someone else chose to become a doctor or another person choosing to be a pilot. I understand that we CAN give other reasons why our characters are their classes, but we all (my group not everyone in the world) agreed that it's still metagaming since we are using outside knowledge (the other players classes) as reasons for making decisions about our character and or their actions. Hell we even level up without interference from each other. Sure we can make suggestions (usually in character) but the final decision is up to them.

Maybe that is valid at character creation, but you have fought together against strong foes. It would be only logic to try to maximize your character strengths and cover your weak spots, finding a way to work together to maximize your chance of winning.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ryan Casarez wrote:


Now if your saying that once in the game our characters should try to adapt to our lack of lockpick I wholeheartedly agree but as mentioned before our skill monkey the bard can't crack level 30 locks with 4 skill points and MWK Tools. So we are trying but it's still not enough and I don't want our party to die just because we are missing one skill.

4 ranks, +2 from the masterwork tools = +6, take 20: 26

So you need a +4 from dexterity.
Your witch can't cast cat's grace?
If your bard has dexterity 14 or more and she can cast that spell you beat a DC of 30.
The Guidance cantrip give another +1, so he only need a dex of 12. Or if he has a dex of 16 he don't need cat's grace.

Note that a witch is a problematic class in that AP unless she has the right patron and hexes.

1 to 50 of 698 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2016 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.