Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
The Horned Hunter

Darklord Morius's page

Goblin Squad Member. RPG Superstar 2013 Star Voter, 2014 Marathon Voter. Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber. Pathfinder Society Member. 372 posts. No reviews. 2 lists. 1 wishlist. 1 alias.


Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I blame Cosmo for the crapy postal services here in Brazil!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The opposite of the Broken Soul would be nice. Like an "Enlightened Soul" a evil outsider that is good. Why it would be cool? To cause conflict wit the characters. To make them think the enlightened Barbazu is still a vile fiend and battle it until they realize their error. And because i'm a little sick of so much evil in the bestiaries.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Only the Paizonian gods can answer this question!

Paizonian gods, i summon thee! Hear yer olde servant and answer thy prayers!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

You need not outbreed to be dominant.

Romans were less than slaves, but they were the dominant.

Politicians are just the 1%, but they have the 99% under their thumb.

So it can be a setting were elves are the dominant race but not the most populous. They could be seen as guides and leaders, and all other races strive to be like them, or obey them without question because are convinced that their guidance will lead to a better world for them.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
gustavo iglesias wrote:
Aelryinth wrote:
Being able to walk into lava and out again is certainly a magical event, no mere fleshy toughness can possibly explain such a thing...it's totally unrealistic. "toughness' would have to represent energy resistance, and that's not what we're talking about. You're just burning through hit points!

Of course it's totally unrealistic. That's the point. But it is not more unrealistic than Beowulf surviving one week holding his breath. Which is the point: it doesn't have to be realistic. The game *ISN'T* realistic. There are a LOT of situations where the game shows us how powerful a high level character is, without having any posibility to "hide" it with "the dwarf step aside"

Wanna examples?

The dwarf is sleeping. Some goblin sneak in, put a dagger in his neck, and slice it. Coup d'grace. 1d4 damage, autocrit, for 2d4. No way he dies unless he gets 1 in his d20. Fun part: at high level, even an a greatsword might not work.

Dwarf jumps, volutarely, into a lava pool.

Dwarf falls from the Niagara Falls.

Dwarf is attacked by poisoned daggers, get hit 50 times, make 50 poison rolls. That's 50 daggers he couldn't "be dodging", because he made 50 injury poison rolls.

Dwarf is landed upon by a great wyrm, weighting roughly 100 tons.

Dwarf being bite, then chewed, then swallowed by a tyrannosaurus.

DWarf being grappled and contriscted by a str 30 KRAKEN.

Dwarf being grappled then *rended* by monsters with such ability.

Dwarf voluntarely drinking cicuta.

The dwarf isn't "dodging" any of those. He survives, for the same reasons he can grapple, trip and pin a rhinoceros with one hand tied to his back. Because he's awesome, and not some pedestrian bound-by-reality mundane guy

Hah! This Dwarf guy is a sport!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Talcrion wrote:
Elbedor wrote:

Why AoO the air? Aren't there enough gnats, flies, or ants around that may be moving through your threatened space? Heck, even a blade of grass swaying in the wind or a mote of dust or dandelion seed blowing along...

Wait, does this mean as GM I can have the air AoO anyone that decides to move?

Naturally! and since the air clearly has a deceptively high Str based on it's ability to throw buildings onto witchs when it feels like it, they should learn to fear the wind!

Can i cast magic missile against the air?

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Anzyr wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Anzyr wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Anzyr wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Friend of the Dork wrote:

The funny thing is, by RAW summoning the Lantern Archon is a GOOD act, and attacking the ship EVIL. So overall, that makes up for it.

Then again, summoning either good or evil creatures should not matter in my book, even if some may frown upon it.

Wise DM's know when to kick RAW to the curb. Despite the "good" subtype of the cast spell, forcing a good creature to do evil acts makes the act doubly evil.

BTW, I wouldn't change the Neutral Bard's alignment, just correct it to the one she's been playing all along.

Wow, bet those GMs are great with with Animate Dead as a Good character, because what are the odds it goes one way and not the other...

I haven't the faintest idea of what you're trying to say. A Good cleric can't cast that spell anyway.
Cleric? Those are kind meh Necromancers. But it's good to know such GMs would be ok with a Lawful Good Gravewalker Witch casting Animate Dead to fight bad guys. They would be ok with that right?
Not allowed in my games... Good gravewalkers simply do not exist in my worlds. Neutral ones have a fairly hard time not sliding down into evil. As the saying goes when you spend your time playing with swine don't expect the mud to stay out of your clothes.
Ah so casting a Good spell to do evil makes you evil, but casting an Evil spell to do Good doesn't make you Good. Knew there was probably some sort of bizarre hypocrisy going on somewhere. While I like being right about such things, still kinda sad to see.

The problem i see is the spell you choose to exemplify, you raise corpses to do your job (even if is a good job) you raise corpses! Did you care to know if the soul of the dead is ok with that? if their family is ok with that? If you did, then, ok, i would judge you are doing a good act.

Now, if you summon a imp to do good, you are doing good (IMO, not RAW).

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Hama wrote:

I don't get it. What is the problem of humans being the dominant or most widespread race in the setting?

Answering the OP question: There is no problem.

If the question is WHY this COULD be a problem, then you have a pletora of answers, going to "it's boring" ending in "because i like dwarves" and all the options in between.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I blame Cosmo for the Ivel!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Argh, i also having trouble to understand why there is so many Crane Wing threads over here after UC Errata, but this thread turned to be big enough to me to follow, i think i will open a new Crane Wing thread to understand the explaining of the Crane Wing Threads... (jk)

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Marthkus wrote:
Vivianne Laflamme wrote:
Some people play a rogue because they want the word "rogue" at the top of their character sheet.
THIS is the only thing no other class can do.

You guys from these fancy classes can take from the Rogue EVERYTHING! But not this, NOT THIS! No sir!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Feros wrote:
Darklord Morius wrote:

I'm trying to play Mass Effect on my PC. I'd bought it on last Origin winter sale, along with ME 2 and 3. Of course i wanted to begin with the first, but problems starts when i finally installed it on my computer...

The game simply don't loads, and the Origin support don't have a clue why. I recurred to a crack, finally the game had loaded, but it asked for a cd-key. Origin didn't provide one on my purchase, and i can't find it anywhere. So, for the second time i recurred to illegality and found a random cd-key that served well.

But now the games freezes frequently, about 1 to 30 minutes of gameplay.

I blame Cosmo because he don't work at Origin, because if he did, surely my problem would be solved already! Damn you Cosmo!

I had this problem as well. Then shut down Origin, and I ran the DirectX installer than is in the Installer folder in the Mass Effect folder in the Origin Games folder in the Program Files(x86) folder on the hard drive. Then I rebooted my computer and it worked!

I blame Cosmo for Darklord Morius not knowing about this relatively easy fix and going through all that @$#% to get his game playing.

Feros, thanks for the tip! I'll try that shortly. As for Cosmo, i blame him for not trying to solve my ME problem, AND for Origin.

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I blame Cosmo for the I hate Dwarves thread.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Arssanguinus wrote:


Still waiting dor somethig that says what you say was said. Differences are not equal to inferiority or superiority. They are just dufferences. There are also things that women tend to better at than men.

Totally agreed! With the plus side the your comment reminded me of beer!

Arssanguinus wrote:


(...)dufferences.

Hmmm, beer...

About the holding doors and other courteous actions: I'm courteous with anyone, regardless of gender, as thejeff seems to do. But, at least in my country, some men find this very strange (women too, it's very rare this type of behavior in Brazil nowadays).

Some type of odd behavior that i had roleplayed: The first time my character interacted with a black man was with the new character of a friend of mine (who also is black), she thought he might be evil, because drows and duergars she faced were. But then she talked with him and found out he was a nice guy (and her detect evil didn't tinged). She was trilled by the discovery.

If this roleplay was based on modern values, that awesome scene that both me and my friend found extremely fun, couldn't happen.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I still think that's a solid feat, i see many ways to exploit it. As it was, it was exceptionally powerful.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

MagusJanus, sir you and agree in disagree, and i respect you for that.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
MMCJawa wrote:

"Age of consent" seems to be one of those issues that just doesn't need to come up in games most of the time. I think a lot of gamers would feel a bit icky if you were regularly coming across NPCs with twelve year old wives. I know I would.

Heh, in my campaign, the emperor has 7 years old and he is scheduled to choose to marry between 2 women, one with 21 and another with 26, or choose one to be Shogun and marry with her daughter. And, hey, it's just news from the empire for the players!

And talking about Age of Consent, regarding Pathfinder (and Ultimate Campaign), rule for young character's age of consent can be really messed up.

What brings on Draco Bahamut's question: Yes, children can be villains - there are even rules for that in Ultimate Campaign.

My female character was proposed to marry against her will, she then challenged her "fiancee" to a duel, In the duel spot, he started to talk how he would treat her well and stuff. Before he ended his little speech she trowed a club on his face THEN run away!

Now, two years and 14 levels later, she wants to make amends to her family, because she thinks they overreacted, but didn't mean to make her unhappy, she will not marry with anyone against her will though, and now she has the brawl to enforce it.

About gender inequality in the real world. I think it will EVER exists but, i hope someday, it will ceases to be a problem.

Tacticslion, about slavery - Nowadays, we have illegal slavery in some few countries that it's just awful. But in many other places we have something that someone could say it is worst than slavery, that is forced labor. The employee is forced to work 20 hours a day to gain a meager wage that is paid only when their employers want. They are forced because the company he works pretty much owns the city, and will cause much grief on his life if he choose not to work on their factory or mine. I think this outrageous, and it's often used by the great companies to make production cheaper.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Sinking a german submarine

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Misroi wrote:

"What news do you bring, Mr. Mint?"

"It is as we feared, King Kandy. The enemy has come. They have swept down from the Gumdrop Mountains, crushing all candy resistance before them. We have already lost the Molasses Swamp and the Lollipop Forest. It is only a matter of time before they sail the Ice Cream Sea and lay siege to your castle, milord."

"Besiege Candy Castle? Preposterous! Our confectionary battlements are impenetrable, even for their army!"

"That's the worst news, milord. They...they have a second army."

"WHAT! Who! Who has allied with this rival king?!? I will have him caramelized!"

"Someone who has long desired your saccharine crown, milord. Someone who would step on the necks of any in their way to sit upon the Royal Icing Throne."

"Lord Licorice?"

"Aye, milord. He has already betrayed you. He has Jolly and Plumpy, and has beguiled Gloppy the Molasses Monster to join his cause."

"We are doomed."

Cant wait to read the second part!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'm trying to play Mass Effect on my PC. I'd bought it on last Origin winter sale, along with ME 2 and 3. Of course i wanted to begin with the first, but problems starts when i finally installed it on my computer...

The game simply don't loads, and the Origin support don't have a clue why. I recurred to a crack, finally the game had loaded, but it asked for a cd-key. Origin didn't provide one on my purchase, and i can't find it anywhere. So, for the second time i recurred to illegality and found a random cd-key that served well.

But now the games freezes frequently, about 1 to 30 minutes of gameplay.

I blame Cosmo because he don't work at Origin, because if he did, surely my problem would be solved already! Damn you Cosmo!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Tormsskull wrote:
Bruunwald wrote:
Unless you are creating stories about normal people having normal problems with say, relationships, work, and the like, it is going to be difficult to avoid making any protagonist in a fictional story "ordinary" or "normal."
Of course any PC (or even NPC) with advanced levels is going to be more "special" than a level 1 commoner. The question I'm really trying to figure out is, does the simple fact of being a PC makes that character more "special" than an NPC with the same race/class/stats/etc. Should the PC get additional benefits above and beyond what the equivalent NPC should get?

You mean, ingame? out of the box, or both?

If ingame, i would say no, there is no difference between the two.

Off game, i would say yes, story doesn't goes on if the PCs loose the adventure because a group of NPCs adventures were contracted first.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I think that, what makes PCs special it's because they are the sole motor of the game. Without them, game over.

Of course, this is a "metagaming" explanation.

Speaking ingame, PCS are no better than any other NPCs around the gaming world. Depending on the setting, they can be seen as a bit above the normal person, or a bit worse than a normal person.

Economicaly-wise, a 1st level character that wants to go adventuring contributes in nothing with the society, people like that tend to be seen as vagabonds, errands, bandits or mercernaries. People tend to be cautious near them, because they don't know what to expect from a person that gave up trying to fit on society and "left for adventures". When their fame/infamy grows (with their levels), the common people starts to form a opinion about them and (given time) call them do gooders, and heroes. But the "Hero" staple take a while to be gained.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
DM Under The Bridge wrote:

As a dm, if you find you are getting a bit repetitive, it can be quite a fun exercise to go and read differing philosophies and belief systems, national geographic articles, anthropology, history texts on the ancient world, anything to facilitate the presentation in game of new societies, beliefs, ideas and values.

Avoid Rome though, Rome is overdone.

Go nuts in the search of difference, and have fun. I am always happy when the players are really surprised at the cultures I throw at them.

I agree, building a campaing based in a different culture can be a worthywhile challenge - the differences between modern culture and other cultures can also be used for comic relief, many many medias use that.

Someone might say: "So, you're sayin' tha' rape, torture, genocide an' cannibalism could be used as comic relief"? NO, i'm not saying that, if you find that funny YOU have a problem. Watch Monty Python Movies, feudal japan based anime, Mel Brooks' History of the World, part I, just to name a very few,

In my oriental campaing, i play social differences as comic relief, with exaggerated bows and mannerisms, and allowing players kick the but of the serf that carries their things when he is slopy or disrespectfull (intentionally or perceived).

Reading Deathquaker's post back on page 6, i don't even know how the discussion progressed.

Regarding male/female strengths and statistic differences (that bit is saturated). In my table i have a unspoken rule that i only enforce it (lightly) to myself. Women tend to have weaker strength than men. Even then, i allow to players put any number on strength they want be their character male or female.

About real world perfomance in sports: If i would care to have some difference in performance among gender (wich i don't), i would judge by the character height, if precision and speed is needed and by weight if strength and stamina is needed. The heavier/tallest gaining a +1, and the lighter/smallest gaining a -1. But i find this very uninteresting to bother.

Tormsskull wrote:
In real life, an average woman fighting hand-to-hand against an average man is going to lose 95% of the time.

There is ONE sport in real world that i know that women are equal, and many times even bested men competitors: Historical Fencing, yeah, with armor, shield, swords and hammers. (Google for Battle of Nations or Historical Fencing to know what i mean).

DM Under The Bridge wrote:


Yeah, that would be baffling.

Okay, er, the dragon destroys the town, but there are no scenes of destruction you notice. The dead innocents just disappear.

Maybe it was puff the magic dragon?

That reminded me the old 8 bit games, when the bodies simply blinked out or super mario enemies who fall out of scenario. You can GM like this: "The Rampaging dragon swoops in the town and breath fire over the innocents, you see many bodies blinking out or falling out of the scenario, unscatched, but definitely gone!

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Don't forget to read about the Naval Revolt! It's not always that rebel peasants take a Battleship by themselves and used it!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Comrade Anklebiter wrote:

For the Brazilians, whom I don't believe were represented on the list of Peasant Revolts:

Ganga Zumba!!!

[Don Juan de Doodlebug]For those looking for more hawt chicks kicking ass, skip to 5:45. Vive le Dandara![/DJdD]

Oh, we had many commoners revolts - enjoy!

Patria Amada, Brasil!

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Draco Bahamut wrote:


I guess i am beginning to understand the issue. Let me put this in another way (and please, have a open mind about different cultural norms here). In the place where i was raised, men are not allowed to cook, we cant even get in the kitchen when women are working. And this is not because we think that only women should cook, it is because women think that men only cause trouble in kitchen, they ruin everything they touch. The case is, i like to cook, i like to invent new receipts, experiment with spices and etc... No one allowed me that. My entire life i was forbidden to touch the stove. I can't cook very well today, and i am sad because i dont want anyone cooking for me. Not cooking your food in Bahia is very different from not cooking in USA, we don't like to eat not-homemade food.

I can't play a character hurt by his expected gender role beucase there aren't expected gender roles. I never planned to have the issue in game, only a motivation that i can relate. To us, taking out expected gender roles diminish all the fight the gender had to make them equal. Woman had to fight so much to be equal, so let's forget them pretending that never were any issue with gender. Maybe this is a cultural thing, and we only having a misunderstanding.

Draco, i follow you, i'm from Brazil too, i know the drama. Happily, i never had this kind of problem, my father loves to cook.

Still, wanting or not, there are differences for gender, a man that wants to remain a man, but he wants to become pregnant. He cannot achieve that as easily as woman can. (Worst example EVER, i know, but illustrates that of course differences betwen men and women exists, no matter what.

Orthos, your example is funny, the say "you hit like a girl" could exist simply because boys like to be boys, girls like to be girls, so the saying "you hit like a boy" could exist, but only used by women.

And the why to have differences between men and women (apart for the obvious physiological, psychological ones) are:

1) Antagonism: A evil society that sees men or women as weaker are good to have another baddie to kick ass.

2) Cultural differences: They are good to make some good roleplaying, may they be funny, tense, just curious.

3) Another way to enrich your campaign: Have a kingdom run only by undead is enriching, have a kingdom run only by women, is also enriching.

4) More adventures hooks: More differences, more trouble, more trouble, more the need of problem solvers.

There are only a few examples, and there is no particular weight on the order.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
thejeff wrote:
Darklord Morius wrote:
Orthos wrote:
The question I would have for DB is why? Why is it a necessity to have some kind of gender roles established in the game/culture/setting? Why is there a need to have some sort of clear difference - mechanical, cultural, or otherwise - between genders? What's the point? What's to gain from it?

I'm not Draco Bahamut, although i know him from other foruns, but i will answer this saying what i think.

Campaigns were men and woman are equal in all aspects (except some obvious physiological and psychological differences) are fine by me, but condemn all to be that way, it's "meh".

In Golarion's drow society, women are dominant, orc society in the same setting, men are dominant. That makes Golarion "meh"?

Legend of the Five Rings we have woman samurai, but they are distinguished as "samurai-ko" and must make sacrifices, that samurai men didn't need to, like love and marry. That makes L5R "meh"? I really don't think so.

Though you'll note that both Golarion societies you mention are evil. Nor are they core PC races. Even PCs from those cultures are usually assumed to be rebels/outcasts - adventuring in the rest of the setting where discrimination isn't so prevalent.

Big difference between that and making defined gender roles the default for the setting so that all PCs have to deal with them, either by living within them or by facing all that comes with being the exception bucking society's rules.

Precisely, Why someone would be interested in some gender differences? One of the whys is antagonism. Cultures to fight against. There are plenty of another whys, many already posted on this thread, if you ask me examples i'll provide (just not now, i'm at work).

Oh, and one correction, there is no "necessity" to make gender differences, but, also, there is no necessity to prohibit groups that want to play with gender differences (provided they are mature, willing and informed) to play the way they want, isn't that true?

Personally? I'm done with non immersive games, they bore me easily and don't have enough life to draw my attention for long. But i'm ok with people who play non immersive games, you guys who chose that can keep playing it, you have my blessing!

Ellis Mirari wrote:


Being a druid is considered feminine. When you mention a druid, people assume they're female unless you say otherwise (not unlike a nurse or a dancer these days). A male druid may get teased a little by his friends, or get a little ribbing from new NPCs he encounters, but when the chips are down, no one doubts that he can do what he does well.

As an Asterix reader, i STRONGLY disagree here. Bards, on ohter hand... :)

The rest i agree with you :)

Orthos wrote:
Darklord Morius wrote:
In Golarion's drow society, women are dominant, orc society in the same setting, men are dominant. That makes Golarion "meh"?

I'm amused that you picked two of my least favorite parts of Golarion. Their orc culture is very meh and I don't like Drow (and have removed them from existence in my home setting). So... yes?

I don't play in Golarion. Those two specific reasons are very small parts of why, but I won't get into the other reasons here, as they're irrelevant to this thread.

Quote:
Legend of the Five Rings we have woman samurai, but they are distinguished as "samurai-ko" and must make sacrifices, that samurai men didn't need to, like love and marry. That makes L5R "meh"? I really don't think so.

I wouldn't enjoy it. And the samurai culture/east Asian influenced part of my homebrewed setting doesn't have these sort of restrictions. So... yes again?

I also don't play L5R.

Edit for answering Orthos.

I'm cool with your personal interests, but this doesn't mean that people who find those settings (or settings elements) interesting, appealing or cool are wrong, agree?

Those settings may be meh for you, but not for everyone, we agree with this?

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Alzrius wrote:

My belief is that the OP is attempting to ask a different question than the one they actually ended up asking.

I think that what was intended to be asked is "Is it immoral to create/play in/expect others to play in a game/setting where things that contemporary morality says are immoral are regarded as moral (or at least, amoral, rather than immoral)?"

In other words, do you find it objectionable to have something that we all commonly acknowledge to be bad (at this point in time) in real life be widely accepted within the context of your game?

I suspect that that's what's really under discussion here.

Well, if it is the question, i think the matter, if set to motion, may be handled with very care, with the consent, knowing and will of the entire gaming group and handled by a mature gamers. Then yes, it can be done.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

JonGarret, i disagree in some topics you stated, well, kind of, because it's just partial disagreement.

JonGarrett wrote:


A fantasy setting rarely has any connection to historic issues. Take homosexuality - it was perfectly acceptable in many places and many cultures until the spread of Christianity. We have solid records of Egyptian officials, Roman Emperors, Japanese Samurai and many other engaging in the homosexuality. Often on the side of marriage, true, because children were almost universally considered important to carrying on a legacy (and how many PC characters stick to that social custom?) but it was there.

Now take Golarion. The same level of homophobic behaviour makes no sense because at least three goddesses are engaged in a three way sexual relationship. How do you declare mortals are wrong to do it when the Gods themselves partake?

The opposite can also be true. BECAUSE only the gods partake, mortals cannot. It can be fun to have homophobic cultists antagonists that think like that.

JonGarrett wrote:


Same with woman. While there were exceptions to woman staying at home and being mothers, those women were often abused, raped and murdered for daring to be different. And that was considered a reasonable response. Again, something that makes no sense in setting like Golarion where there are female Gods - one of the primary warrior gods is Iomadae, a woman.

Like Nicos already stated, real world has it share of warriors godesses, including a female godess head of a pantheon. That didn't made real world less sexist.

JonGarrett wrote:


Mostly the excuse 'I wanna be realistic to medieval times' is just that - an excuse to get all those pesky non-white people out of the setting (Which is, historically, a massive mistake - there were plenty of non-white people wandering Europe) or putting women in subservient roles with maybe one or two exceptions - who are usually 'tamed' by marriage to the hero.

Now that was a bit overactive, many good RPG settings on the market deal with real world scenarios. And the people who played them are not all white supremacists. What about Blood and Honor or L5R? The first is in Feudal Japan, the other is in a similar setting. What about a campaign in Arabian States at the time of Mongol Invasion? Lot's of adventure and no white guy in miles (apart from one or another merchant). So, i think you exaggerated a little by saying MOSTLY. But i agree that some use that as an excuse (and really some - RPG is a hobby to complex and smart for fanatics or supremacists).

Regarding the discussion (or what it turned to be), i am with Ellis and Bunnyboy. Fantasy games have to many others races and cultures to suffer from inclusion problems. I think it's realistic to think that human race evolved enough to realize that they would not survive long enough fighting among themselves because color or beliefs - having so many others competitors being also sentient and nonhuman. Humans are also adaptive, so, if they observes an successful costume or behavior of another race, they would try their best to emulate. In dwarven, gnomish and elven societies, woman fares as well as men in all kinds of tasks - so humankind would quickly get ride of sexism in it's early eras.

Well, in synthesis, if you think about a Fantasy setting logic considering all it's elements, you can devise how humanity diverted from our past. Play a fantasy setting as it was our medieval time is simply not possible if elves, dragons, dwarven and magic mixed in.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I would put a example that an abolitionist crusader in a slave economic campaign it's like playing a desert dweller who has fear of water in a sailing campaign, but that is just silly, you play as you like, a paladin that abhors slavery and a paladin that accept it it's cool, so long you have fun.

The common people from Europe were in famine precisely because the industrial revolution punching up Europe, and slavery being abolished. Suddenly they found themselves useless because of the machination of farms and the loss of theirs serfs guarantees in exchange of meager wages that couldn't pay all it's needs, except if they (many times, litaraly) kill themselves working more and harder. The price of freedom, in the end, was more slavery.

Maybe, in your point of view, Louis, all real world (including our present way of life) is evil. But in fantasy, there can be a good society free from slavery, after all, it's fantasy. AND in fantasy, you can have a good slaver society, after all, it's fantasy!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Lurefindel, your game-style is the same as mine, i GM the same way. I tried to play with a GM friend of mine that were adept of "HP = Health" and i couldn't stand, it's not to my taste.

That said, i had thought about these issues a long time ago, i had rewritten many rules to fit my tastes (including created the "lesser coup de grace" thing).

Basically i divided hit points in three parts, the first 50% of the hit points i call Absorption Points, they are those points that you loose with near misses, stamina, scratches or flesh wounds.
The last 50% of hit points i named Vital Points, those are lost when the absorption points are depleted, or when other conditions are met (like bleed damage, damage with poison, some critical hits, non attack damages, harpoon, etc). If the character loose all it's Vital Points he is dying, no matter if he has Absorption Points left or not.

But i have to admit, i never thought about the crossbow conundrum you put here, maybe because my gaming groups are very fast to catch my playing style and act accordingly.

But i came up with these guidelines, they are a bit brute, but it's what i have for now.

I had created two conditions, surrendered and low guard.

SURRENDERED

A creature gains the surrendered condition when a opponent catches it flat-footed but readies a action instead of attacking and reveals itself to the creature.

A successfully surrendered creature its considered helpless and flat footed against the opponent (or opponents) that surrendered it. Opponents of a surrendered creature can reay a coup de grace against it.

A surrendered creature can make a diplomacy or intimidate check to loose the surrendered condition of it and of all his chosen allies, to successful, it must to change the opponent(s) attitude to at least indifferent. A fail in this test activates the readied action of its opponent(s).

A surrendered creature can also make a bluff check, as if a attempt to create a diversion to hide, to get rid of the surrendered condition of it and all its chosen allies.

LOW GUARD

A creature has the low guard condition when:

- It has the surrendered condition and make a hostile action.

- Purposefully puts himself in an obvious self inflicting condition, like jump into a chasm, walk in lava or ignore a weapon pointed in its face and fail to describe plausibly his intentions or actions to do so.

A creature with the low guard condition is considered helpless and flat footed and take damage directly into the vital points.

The Low Guard condition take a lot of GMing judgement and players agreement, that escapes the mechanic scope of D&D 3.x and Pathfinder, but i think it might work. The bypasses conditions for the surrendered condition is a great idea to make more uses of other characters strengths and make very good roleplaying scenes. What do you think?

It's useful to say that this tread is about suggestions of how to make better a certain gaming style, not to judge if this gaming style is right or wrong.

Grand Lodge Star Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

A rich laborer's mithral inlaid gloves that requires no save...

Grand Lodge Star Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Just found my item AGAIN! I'm not culled! *Relief*

Grand Lodge Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I supported the kickstarter fairily, alas, im not a goblin squad member. Wonder why.

Edit: Oh, there it is! Me proud!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Malachi Silverclaw wrote:
What was the reason for the 'no' to armour spikes?

Because the game has an unwritten rule which essentially states the following:

• A 1st-level standard-race PC can either make one melee attack without TWF or you can make two melee attacks with TWF.

So.. any standard race monk goes against this bullet point when flurrying.

A draconic or abyssal lineage sorcerer of any standard race is bending rules when he uses claws?

Im assuming standard races with standard traits, so i will not mention the toothy half-orc.

Sean K Reynolds wrote:


• The most damage you can do without TWF is using a 1H or 2H weapon in two hands for x1.5 Str damage, and the most damage you can do with TWF is x1 in the main hand and x.5 in the off-hand (for a total of x1.5 Str added to your weapons), so optimally you're getting no more that x1.5 Str no matter which attack mode you choose.

Flurrying monk do str x2 without TWF - draconic/abyssal sorceres do str x2 without TWF - Toothed half orcs, beaked tengus, bittings barbarians, clawed barbarians and kitsune do 2x str damage without TWF. Double Sliced TWFighters do 2x damage.

Sean K Reynolds wrote:


• While the game doesn't explicitly limit your attacks to "hands," that's the basic assumption, and you shouldn't be able to pile on additional attacks per round just because you can think up additional or alternative body parts to attack with.

A always assumed up to two attacks with up to two different weapons (not counting iterative attacks at BaB +6, and Improved TWF).

Sean K Reynolds wrote:


• Because if one character uses 2H weapon and is NOT allowed to make an additional attack with armor spikes or a metal gauntlet because his hands are occupied by his 2H weapon, and a different character uses a 2H weapon and IS allowed to make an additional attack with a metal boot because he's not using his hand, that second character is gaining a game mechanics advantage simply by changing the flavorful description of his extra attack's origin from, and that is not good game design.

There is a hard (but not-explicity-stated-in-the-rules) limit to what a standard-race PC should be able to do in one round of combat. Even though it's not stated in the rules, it is a real limit (in the same way that there's no printed rule that says "don't make a first-tier feat that gives more than +3 to one skill for a 1st-level character," or "don't make a first-tier feat that gives more than a +1 to attack rolls with one type of weapon," but it's still a rule we follow), and you shouldn't be allowed to break that limit.

Pretty, but Magus cast quickened spells at level 1, pretty much more than a additional 1d6 damage +1/2 str. They spend a feat to have the same to hit range of the fighter, with the bonus of magical attacks, +1 damage and a quickened spell - at level 1. This hard limit was way bended at this class with just one example i could think of, using only that class features and, maybe, one feat (Arcane Strike).

I understand the urge to impend the ridiculousness of the armors spike/blade gauntlet/boot whatever abuse, but i think this FAQ was not the answer.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

In my games, most of the players don`t want nothing to do with religion, gods or higher powers, and often is up to me go with the healing guy. But when i do, none of them are equal with the other.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

You will make me poor and peniless

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Hama wrote:

Also, why do people actively try to perceive everything said to them in the most offensive way? Why do they seek to get offended? I don't understand.

Almost everything nowadays is offensive. And I'm getting pretty sick and tired of political correctness enforcers, who go and get offended for other people. What the hell?

That depends, are you saying that more people are sensitive on internet, or in general?

Language its not only words, actually, words are the least part of language. Language is in the tone the something is said, the expressions in the speaker face, his mannerisms, and demeanor. In most times, communication in internet is through written language alone, and this language is flawed.

That`s why you must be extra careful to what you write, because you never know how the reader will interpret you text.

If you say in general, that`s because people nowadays are fearful and sensitive about the big and painfully boring politically correct police baton. People are afraid to be beaten by it, so they are teking seriously any "misdeed".

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Chaotic Evil. He thinks himself as the "Dark Crusader", but his is just a psycopath if a very high intelligence and cold cannyness. He follows a "moral code", but this is not enough to make him lawfull. His erratic behavior and constant and obssessive doubts about his moral code points even further to a chaotic mindset. At least, he relishes at killing helpless people, masking his irremediable evil ways saying to himself he is hiddign the world from evil people. He is like a Bebilith, hunting and killing demons, but evil itself.

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

214) You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

One thing i don't get it, maybe because i have a thick skull, why rules changes is seen so sacrosanct when story changes are made so easily? Reading some olde Pathfinder books (specifically, classic horrors revisited) i saw a number of minor changes on the history of well known npcs and places, but a lot of major ones, like the Harlot Queen beign a mummy and had died against the Whispering Tyrant (nowadays she is a lich and died against Geb). IMO Canon changes are much more game-breaking compared with a revision in the rogue class or stealth rules. My 2 cents.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Apply 3.5 Loyalists Rogue Strategy to the Ninja. Ninja does it (far) better.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Diego Rossi wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
AlgaeNymph wrote:


10. Is there a good in-game reason for air and water elementals to not be able to flow through a grate while earth elementals can earth glide?
10) Because the gate is made of earth or stone or even wood... all things that are more closely tied to earth than to air and fire. Just as fire can't really move through water, why should air and earth be able to move through a barred gate? It's easier to move through water than it is through a barred gate, after all...

Grate with a R I think.

Even if that was not the case, I would be interested in that question. Air and water elemental bodies aren't "moldable" so they can't pass through obstacles with a small width (like a large air elemental passing through an arrow slit). Why that decision?
Because the've never been "moldable," really, in the history of the game. It certainly makes sense, but we didn't really invent the "compression" ability until well after Bestiary came out, and since elementals were never oozes... they just didn't get that ability. It's a fine addition in a homebrew... but the ship has sailed on giving them that ability for now. It's not an errata... it's a concept to revisit if and when we do a 2nd edition.

No need to second edition: Elementals Revisited: New Feat - Elemental Compression (The elemental can move through an area as small as one-quarter its space without squeezing or one eighth its space when squeezing). Put some feat exchange guidelines for each elemental and create some elemental templates based on that ability/feat. Done! Pathfinder 2nd edition, BAH!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Killing is an politically incorrect act - not evil, nor good - it's consequences maybe judged as one of those acts (or not).

We may say that killing is a evil act because we have a modern occidental way of thinking, but this is only us messing around terms. The right term is that killing is a unaccepted social act, and unaccepted social act is frequently mistaken as an evil act.

That said, killing is an accepted act in your campaign or not? Evil or good don't apply here.

The most good focused class in the game is the paladin, and the paladin trademark is smiting. Smiting is not a pacifist ability to the contrary, smite is the best and most brutal killing ability in the game, doing massive amount of damage to the evildoers.

Killing is evil? Ridiculous.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

In my fighters case, he find no need to lie about his doing, he thinks duergars, drows and orcs are monsters, and he can vent all his cruelty in monsters. Humans can be monsters too, thinking about that, if they are against "heroism".

Of corse, he is fun, he is gentle, he have friends, loves parties - well he loves fight too, and more than once had been involved in a bar brawl, but, loosing or winning, is all sport. Except against monsters. For me, he is chaotic evil.

You pally with sense motive would sense no lies, and would have a hard time trying to defend orcs and drows to the people who suffered against them.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Hama wrote:

I have been GM-ing a one/two-shot game set on middle earth, some months before Frodo leaves Bag end. Characters were of course meant to be heroic free peoples, charged by Aragorn to make the wilderness a safer place. And, of course, i told the players this before play. And at the beginning of the session.

The game started well, they were tasked with scouting an old fortification, and after finding it full of goblins, they had an epic fight and won. They burned the corpses and went to the town of Bree. There, the "rogue" character waited for the night before beginning to burglarize people's houses, the warrior got into three bar fights, until Butterburr had him thrown out of the in, and the "wizard" threatened anyone who wouldn't do what he wanted them to do with his magic. The end result had them thrown out of the town and told that arrows will fly if they come back. And what do they do? SET FIRE TO THE FREAKING TOWN
That is where i called BS and had Aragorn and the dunedain slaughter them for joining the shadow.
Why, oh why, are people so incapable of playing normal, good people? Please share your insight.

Taking the first issue of the OP's question, there is another problem in this situation that i failed to recall begin attended in this post.

One thing that works nicely to me is, when the players starts to do out of the way things, i put an npc that makes it better, and "villainise" it. Doing this, make the characters act as heroes, and be rewarded by it.

In the examples mentioned above, when the rogue started to burglarize people's home, he could had entered in a home at the exact moment to witness an assassination attempt, then he is thanked as savior for the would be victim. When the fighter started to pick fights at the tavern, there is the tavern bully present, who feels offended to see someone else do what he do best. Then, when the fighter defeats it, the tavern's patrons cheer him to give to the bully what he deserved, gets a free mug of beer and jolly company. When the wizard start to threatens people with magic, he could encounter a villain who do not threaten, he acts. Then, when this villain is defeated, he is awarded by the city's sheriff. Or, if it scaled to the them trying to burn the city, they witness some orcs trying to do the destroy it too, along with them. Defeating the orcs, the city pardon's them and allow them to stay in town, as heroes.

The OP stated he wanted a heroes campaign, taking his words, he is not a computer, when players starts to do disgraceful things, adapt and change the situation to throw the light of heroism at them again. Sooner than later, they will get proud to begin treated as heroes and act accordingly.

Heroes needs villains.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

In AP 44, page 17 have some guidelines about sleep fatigue:

AP 43, page 17 wrote:


[...]fatigue and exhaustion (Core Rulebook 567). You might also consider
using a variant rule where characters who do not get a
full night’s sleep may suffer the effects of fatigue. If a
PC does not get at least 6 hours of sleep, she must make a
DC 15 Fortitude save or be fatigued and take a –1 penalty
on all other checks and saving throws against sleep
effects. A second night without sleep requires another
DC 15 Fortitude save. A failed save results in the character
becoming exhausted and the penalties increasing to –2. A
third failed save on the next night increases the penalties
to –3.

Hope that helps.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I`m Brazilian, and the first translated D&D iteraction i played (D&D, Black Box) Alignment was translated as Tendência - that means Trend, or Tendency. So i grew understanding alignment as a guideline, not as an obligation.

I`m in favor that there may be all alignments for some undeads, redeemed monsters, etc. But i also believe that what is good for humans it`s not good for all other sentient creatures.

Morality can vary from race to race, even from culture to culture, person to person. A Evil Orc Civilization don`t see them as evil, they look at others as prey, and they are the predators - but they are just doing what they think it`d needed for their survival as a race.

Imagine an alien race that have the ability of foresight. They saw that human expansion would be the doom of their race, they could hunt down down mankind with no regreats or second thoughts.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I would like to add:

Animated Siege Engines - One thing it's an animated object balista-like that do 1d8 ranged damage, tops with a range increment of 20ft; another it's a scaring real animated ballista the shoots for 3d8 damage in a range of 120ft! Imagine animated cannons!

And i reinforce the Jacklope - what our drunken gunslingers see in the desert at night, and some even claim to had mounted one - and skilled alchemists taxidermists display proudly in their stores!? It' the famous Jacklope!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

A Flamethrower - The ancient chinese had one, why not my character?

Terrestrial Mines - Again, the ancient chinese and feudal japanese had those things, my character whant to plant some on the ground.

Pikes - 15foot reach FTW

Bombs - my character whant to throw some gunpowder lit cakes on his foes.

About evil lincoln's issue, i totally agree. In my case i use the 3.5 method and the CRB+CMG method to cut down above the line treasure tha the table method from 3.5 generates. CRB+CMG alone i just use with the treasure generator from the OGC, but it is too limited for my taste, and using it without the help of the program is tood difficult and time-demanding,


©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.