Medical Drone

DM_aka_Dudemeister's page

Goblin Squad Member. RPG Superstar 6 Season Dedicated Voter, 7 Season Star Voter, 8 Season Star Voter, 9 Season Dedicated Voter. Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber. Organized Play Member. 7,390 posts (7,615 including aliases). 11 reviews. 1 list. 4 wishlists. 2 Organized Play characters. 21 aliases.


RSS

1 to 50 of 7,390 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Good good punch buddies are gonna be fun to play. Glad mystical paths are optional because I like mundane heroes most.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Does the ship-to-ship combat in this book give every player at the table something to do?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I’m using Chrome.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Please see image here

Whenever I hit the download tab it just shows:

Date LastDownloaded Date DownloadLast Updated Date AddedTo My Downloads

But nothing beneath it, no matter the product. It's more than possible someone else may have reported a similar issue, but I wanted to flag it just in case.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Franz Lunzer wrote:

Not going to disagree regarding the power shift in PF2e and how spells improve (that's why I specified the circumstances of PF1e feather fall), but:

You expect the PC's are going to fall down more than one cliff any given adventuring day?

Maybe not, but I will have flying monsters drop them from great heights multiple times on occasion.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
BPorter wrote:

C) those that complain that martials can't have cool things really would be better off playing a straight up four-color superhero RPG instead.

I do play 4-Color superhero RPGs.

However my group also plays pathfinder and you shouldn’t feel regret for playing a fighter in Pathfinder just because you’ve hit levels 10+ and apart from killing stuff you don’t have anything interesting to do that you weren’t doing at level 1.

Also why do wizards get more magical other than “leveling up”, I mean you could give them a level 9 spell scroll of wish at level one and they just can’t cast it but at level 17 it’s no problem. They’re just more powerful because the game says so. A wizard gets new spells in their spellbook just for levelling up. You can be a level 20 wizard who has never even heard of a library.

A fighter being legendarily good at medicine because they spent their downtime learning how to sew their fellow adventurers back together seems reasonable to me by the same logic that wizards being able to cast level 9 spells because they’ve been casting spells for 17 levels.

Let martial characters do dope stuff 2k18!

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Me: Hasn’t finished an AP in less than 5 years.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Most excellent! I love everything I’m seeing here.

Silver Crusade

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Actually, I changed my mind from earlier.

Let's not file the serial numbers off the monk, because frankly it's kind of weird to expect the monk to lose its cultural trappings, but Paladins are still supposed to be Catholic styled Crusaders and Chevaliers.

It's 2018, let's stop pretending that it's okay to whitewash a game setting because people's imaginations for fantasy don't extend beyond white folks from Europe circa-Middle Ages.

I'll be Bruce Lee, you be Gandalf and together we're gonna fight Dracula! Cool? Cool.

Silver Crusade

19 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

The biggest complaint I hear from my players when we get to high levels is from the martials/skilled characters (fighters/rogue types) saying that they don't feel they are contributing enough to the narrative. They regret their class choice because without spells they are barely able to nudge the needle as far as narrative is concerned.

So PF2e is directly addressing this issue, which is definitely not localized to my table (see every thread about caster/martial disparity), and people are mad that martials can do rad things and how dare they include this in the core rulebook instead of relegating it to a later book that can be safely ignored (you know like Mythic was).

Silver Crusade

15 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

"Please keep X out of my game."

Is such a weird thing to say, because it isn't just your game. It's everyone's game. I want non-magical characters to do cool things. And having an option to just say: "No Legendary Proficiency" if you don't want to allow rad things in the game. But by having the option in there from the get-go, it means we can have superheroic high level adventures for more than just spellcasters.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

As far as I can tell we haven't seen a Monk preview yet, so there's not much point worrying about it.

However, flavor can easily be shifted to better suit a different setting.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Weather Report wrote:
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:
Weather Report wrote:
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:
The rules that govern the game do not have to govern all of the fantasy reality they live in. They are game rules, not physics, whatever is not happening as a tactical challenge at the table, can be handled by GM decision.
This is an old argument, and a slippery slope.
Maybe, but it's true.
To who?

I mean, you cut off the rest of the post, but I mean, I don't sit down for hours rolling dice against myself to figure out who wins in a battle of a hundred guards vs a dragon. I just narrate a what's needed for the game to keep going and move on. I bet most GM's do.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Weather Report wrote:
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:
The rules that govern the game do not have to govern all of the fantasy reality they live in. They are game rules, not physics, whatever is not happening as a tactical challenge at the table, can be handled by GM decision.
This is an old argument, and a slippery slope.

Maybe, but it's true. Even in Pathfinder 1e and 3.5 D&D I as a GM would rule whether one army would win or another, or if a dragon attacked a city maybe I'd have the local militia shoot it down with a catapult or ballista or something. Or if it's meant to be a challenge for the PCs, they miss, the dragon lands and it's PC hero time.

Anyway, universal verisimilitude is so low on the list of priorities for a fun game.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

The rules that govern the game do not have to govern all of the fantasy reality they live in. They are game rules, not physics, whatever is not happening as a tactical challenge at the table, can be handled by GM decision.

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

How exciting, looking at all these flavourful locations and characters I want to run a Planar Scoundrels campaign. With players functioning as extraplanar smugglers, pirates and outlaws moving forbidden substances across planar borders and delivering them without being discovered.

For the right price perhaps they might smuggle a daemon into the boneyard, or larvae our of the abyss. Bring a sun spark into Shadow Absalom, or a definition of physical laws into Galisemni. Owe money to Inusalia, steal a treasure from under Argrynixia’s snout.

Now, how to get the players a fast planehopping ship?

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

In my games I have Athletics (Str), which is strength based mobility and Might (Str), which is bending bars, busting doors, lifting heavy things etc.

I also have Endurance (Con) which is for dealing with natural weather, staying awake without taking fatigue, or running long distances (So Fort saves are exclusively for poisons diseases and spells).

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Dasrak wrote:
Unicore wrote:
Also it is important to remember that blasting spells don't get worse as you level up.

This is only true in the most literal sense. In practice, a 14th level party won't do battle with a CR 8 encounter. So saying the spell has the same level of power it did when you were 8th level is kinda irrelevant, because you won't be fighting that level of opposition anymore. Relative to your typical opposition, the power of the spell drops off phenomenally. If PF2 has similar HP progression curve to PF1, it's about half as strong.

And if for some reason you do end up fighting an APL-6 encounter, the expectations are that much higher. In fact, any usage of daily resources would be a questionable move in such a situation, so the expectation is total domination. This is one of the reason why fireball was considered weak in PF1, because 10d6 just didn't meet those expectations. And PF2 fireball capping at 2x6d6 on a critically failed save isn't really any better. If I need a critical fail for my spell to be worthwhile against a foe so weak that I really shouldn't have needed to contribute at all in the first place... what is the point in even having that spell?

I throw much lower than APL challenges at my players all the time because the world doesn't necessarily level with the PCs.

But you seem to be missing that your DC increases with your level in PF2e, which means that there's a far higher chance of those foes critically failing because they crit-fail on DC -10.

Silver Crusade

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Downtime is almost always a big part of my campaigns. I like when my players put down roots in a campaign area.

I wonder though if the full rules will have options for travelling downtime rules, for say if your party puts together a caravan, to travel on a months long journey from the Inner Sea to Tian-Xia.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Awesome information about all the classes.

What interests me is how the Mox Gauntlet works, wildly extrapolating from that tidbit: I would guess this is how belts (or gauntlets) of giant strength work. Which is similar to how 5e does it, except that if you have a strength of 20 in 5e, you gain no benefit at all, while in PF2e you’ll still get some enhancement from such a thing.

I’ll be honest though items that “set” your ability scores are not a fave of mine though, it mostly encourages dumping stats. Unless such items are prohibitively expensive or artifact level rare, I prefer PF1E’s method of exclusively boosting ability scores when using magic or shapeshifting.

But again this is wild extrapolation.

I like that familiars are going to be malleable, able to shift form as needed for the adventuring day. I hope they see more prominent use in 2e, as opposed to mostly staying in their master’s backpack for fear they’d be murdered.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Ah yes, the dreaded RP part of the RPG! The bane of GMs everywhere. The common refrain of: "My players are TOO invested in the setting!" Echoes around the internet on a daily basis. Truly, what can be done about these damnable roleplayers, and their penchant for talking to NPCs, forming relationships with other players and fleshing out the world?

lol.

In all seriousness though, the issue here is pacing and spot-light time at it's heart. If a player takes 15 minutes to wax eloquent about their family history, dark secret past, or why they want revenge on the Sheriff of Rottingham that's 3 other players twiddling their thumbs during amateur theatre hour, and a big chunk of the adventure time taken up.

Totally get it.

So here's how I handle it, if you know the player is a bit of a problem when it comes to over talking, ask them for a skill check. If they're delving deep into their backstory while talking to an NPC, usually it's not just to show off, it's often because they're trying to justify diplomacy, diplomacy (Gather Inf), intimidation or bluff or disguise. Interrupt the player and ask: "What are you trying to accomplish with this line of dialogue?"
If they give you a clear answer, great make a roll.
If they don't have a clear answer then tell them: "Then let's move on to the next scene."

Do not let players OR NPCs waffle. When you introduce an NPC you should get into the meat really quickly:
"What I want, why I can't have it, how you can help, what's in it for you." (Goal, Quest, Reward)
If the players want more information, unless there's a reason the NPC needs to hide it, just tell them what the NPC knows. As the GM it's your job to set the pacing, if your players are waffling, it may be because you as a GM set a precedent of NPC waffling.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Cool, I wanna play a wizard who prepares at least one magic missile in at least one slot of every possible level.

Silver Crusade

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

First, love that Bugbear art. Again anything that makes goblinoids look more like one ancestry with different evolutionary divergences is cool by me.

Second, new stat blocks are going to take some getting used to, just as learning the PF1E stat block took some getting used to.

I don’t particularly need a breakdown of AC if flat-footed, sundered or the like are status effects, and for description I’ll make those decisions based on art/description.

Customizablilty is important to me, but I don’t particularly feel like I need to do it from the back-end. So long as the monster/NPC building/advancement tables are clear on what number ranges are needed for a monster of x level.

ALSO monsters not listing ability scores is great, and so far I haven’t seen any way for PCs to get odd ability scores; sooooo can there be a variant rule in the book to allow players to use modifiers only!

Finally, I’d like to echo concerns that visually impaired players may have trouble with symbols. I hope there is a solution to keep the game inclusive for all gamers.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

But I'm not going to keep going on about the art.

I've said my piece, I'm glad the message has been passed on to the developers and art team, and I'm not interested in debating other gamers about how there's a context in which it's okay to double down on racism, fantasy or otherwise.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Erik Mona wrote:

Orcs in second edition Pathfinder do not walk around on all fours. Their current "take" has longer arms and a slightly different physiology that might allow them to charge like this (hence this piece of concept art), but they stand erect and they are not otherwise particularly simian. That's not to deflect criticism or soft-pedal concern about this piece of art or even the "take" in general, but I think it's probably worthwhile to understand a bit of perspective, here.

Even so, the general gorilla take has some problematic connotations. However I appreciate that you’re taking criticisms on board.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Yay for more introductions :)

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

The other thing about elementals being their own thing is that it means elementals can come from natural material plane sources without being subject to banishment and the like. So long as they don't get the crazy immunities that made them such boring fights in PF1e.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Congratulations on a campaign well played!

Silver Crusade

11 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

So to the idea of taking warlike evil ancestry off the table, I’m not even suggesting that. I’m saying if you’re going to bring orcs to the table you need to consider carefully the coding you’re using to present this.

Long Digression on Pathfinder Orc Lore:

It’s funny, I’m going off the rails for Giantslayer and my players are building a nascent kingdom in the Conquered Lands in the South of Belkzen. The half-orc Fighter/Wizard will be ruler after he defeated General Karrguk in single combat. So I’ve had to think hard about orcs.

So I looked at Orc history:
Orcs were #driven to the surface by Dwarves.
Used as fodder for at least two tyrants (Tar Baphon and Kazavon)
They are surrounded by enemies on all sides who would like the orc held lands back.
Their pantheon are gods of simple survival concepts.

I didn’t want to completely negate the brutality of their history, but also didn’t want to completely negate the option of redemption.
So the first thing I told my PCs: Everything you’ve read about orcs has been written by humans. There is a significant bias.

While Orcish culture tends towards Chaotic and Evil it’s partially because every time their civilization would make any great change or advance they undergo some cataclysm. First the dwarves, then Tar Baphon, then Kazavon. It’s like they can never recover from their apocalypses.

While Orcs often raid their borders for resources, unless united by a tyrant of some kind they rarely seek to conquer. Their culture has never seen agriculture as a viable option since their origins are as Darklands raiders. They need to raid to provide resources for their kids.

Then there’s their deities. Their deities require terrible things in order to be appeased. So one of two things needs to happen:
Orcs need to be encouraged to worship other deities (We see a bit of this with Gorum and Sarenrae)
Or the Orc deities need to change with the times.

I suspect Varg the Iron Warrior (Orc god of complex warfare) is actually an aspect of Gorum. Or rather Gorum is an aspect of Varg who realised he could get more worshippers by selling himself as a conflict deity to other ancestries. Clever one that Varg.

I think the Dark Mother is another deity that could make the jump. She’s oppressed by the misogynistic orc deities and might realise that her power could increase exponentially if Shen became a more universal deity of expectant and warrior mothers.

Essentially the orcs are victims, but their toxic masculine culture can’t let them address their trauma. Until they can address that as a people they can’t move forward. It’s difficult though since you’re dealing with a lot of orcs who’s greatest ambition is to be a petty warlord of a raider tribe. And every time they are united as a people it’s nearly always as pawns, it has spelled a regression for their entire culture in the immediate aftermath.

Until orcs as a culture can admit their weaknesses, they’ll never be able to join the greater world as a true power.

Silver Crusade

12 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Kobold Cleaver wrote:

Hoooo boy this is bad. This is "orcs wearing warpaint and speaking in broken English about eating the pinkskins" bad. I don't know why "don't draw races constantly coded as various nonwhite races and cultures like apes" is apparently such a consistently high bar for Paizo to clear, but between this, the charau-ka, and the (admittedly much less egregious) Monkey Goblins, apparently we're still on this.

Like, holy cow, guys. I know we're really, really attached to our "we need sentient, dehumanized races for adventurers to slaughter" tropes and all, but there are a million wonderful directions to take orcs, and this is what we chose? This is a serious error in judgment on the part of Paizo's design team, and I hope it turns out that this is just one isolated sketch—the "plump reptilian troll" of Pathfinder 2.0.

Yeah, I’m with Kobold Cleaver on this one. There are troubling parallels using gorilla coding on orcs. Especially considering how PF1E lore for orcs paints almost the entire ancestry as irredeemable monsters.

I’m jumping off the rails in Giantslayer so my players can Kingdom build in Southern Belkzen and thinking about orc culture and looks has been heavy on my mind.

I hope the team takes a long hard look at what their art and words are saying when it comes to orcs. Because colonial and old fashioned pulp ideas pervading the setting of Golarion in a new edition is going to be a problem. Paizo prices itself on its progressive values in the tabletop industry, and some of that should be reflected in their work. Deconstructing some of the worst old tropes when it comes to “evil” ancestries, rather than reinforcing them and doubling down, and worse echoing old prejudices.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Smite Makes Right wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Smite Makes Right wrote:
Mark Seifter wrote:
Plus touch attacks against zombies tend to crit those guys for even more damage!
Wow. You can crit against undead without a feat now?
Huh? I am like 95% sure you could already crit against undead and you never needed a feat to do so in pathfinder.
You are correct according to the SRD. I was not aware that had changed from 3.5.

It’s been 10 years and this still keeps happening.

Not calling anybody out, just shows the sheer complexity of the first edition rules set, and that it’s relatively conservative design from 3.5 often lead to confusion.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Logan Bonner wrote:
edduardco wrote:
Interesting to see that a simple Skeleton/Zombie is level 0, what exactly is a level 0 monster?
Level 0 is the category that replaces CR 1/2, 1/3, etc. They're close enough in numbers are are a pretty minor threat, so we've just used one category for them.

The thing is there is something very useful about CR 1/2, CR 1/3 and CR 1/4 and CR 1/6, especially for new GMs.

It tells a GM how many monsters they can safely throw at a first level party without being unfair or overwhelming, or to provide a pushover encounter.

So I can throw 6 stirges, 4 kobolds, or 3 goblins, or 2 orcs (if equipped nicely) at a 1st level party.

If CR 0 replaces all those gradations, that means that the challenge of 2 Goblins is the same as 2 Orcs as 2 Stirges as 2 kobolds for game balance reasons, and if they are NOT the same level of challenge then you've removed a useful measurement for GMs.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Rysky wrote:
Also we’re at 69% :3

Nice.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

This is a good change, as a GM I often have trouble when the effectiveness of a monster is buried in the Feats line and I have to figure out the feat interactions with their stats and abilities. By making a few key abilities for each monster, it means both less prep work on my side and I can begin with an effective monster rather than figure it out half way through a fight.

Secret is I've already been doing this somewhat in my Pathfinder games without my players realizing it. Giants that toss characters around or stomp on them, Dragons who have separate initiatives for head, body and tail etc. It's more interesting to my players than "I guess this monster is going to power attack for a, from your perspective invisible penalty to accuracy and massive bonus to damage."

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I was referring to Skeletal Elephants. But dragon skulls re-flavoured is fun too.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Skelephants.
Fun fact there are many theories that elephant skulls are the source for Cyclopes myths.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
thflame wrote:

My biggest overall gripe with PF2 is that some of the mechanics being implemented to balance the game are anti-verisimilitude, which is the biggest selling point of a TTRPG.

It makes zero sense that it takes 1/3rd of your turn to go from holding a greatsword in one hand to holding it in two hands.

The same goes for "readying a shield".

Yes, I have crunched the numbers on shield use in another thread and determined that the action tax makes shield use more balanced, but it doesn't FEEL good.

I get what they are trying to do with shields. They don't want them to just be a passive AC buff on your character sheet that takes up a hand slot. They want your shield to be something that you actively use and gives you a cool benefit and makes you feel good about having a shield. They also want this benefit to come at a cost so not everyone wants to use it.

There are certain instances where balance is important, but I'd almost rather have shields and two handed weapons be OP than tax your actions.

These mechanics are ultimately going to cause characters to make RP decisions that make no sense it the game world.

Valeros - "Amir, take point."
Amir - "Nah, if I open that door, I won't be able to attack anything waiting on the other side."
Valeros - "What do you mean."
Amir's Player - "It is going to take me an action to open the door, and another action to grip my weapon. Since we just made a ton of noise in this room killing these goblins, I'm sure every monster in the next room is waiting for us to open that door. I want to be able to attack whatever is waiting for us on the other side, so Valeros should open the door."
Valeros' Player - "Yeah, Valeros is using a shield right now, so I would have to spend all 3 of my actions to open the door. I'd have to sheathe my sword, open the door, then draw my sword. And even then I won't have an action to ready my shield against the monsters in the next room."
Kyra's Player - "Don't look at me, I'm using a shield too."
*Party looks at...

In Pathfinder 1e, when you get to a door:

Move action: Sheathe a weapon
Standard (Used as move): Open door.

So unless you have Quick Draw you’re out of luck.

In fact that’s why Fighters and Barbarians are known for “Kicking in the Door”.
That works in either edition.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I like the Background system. It will ground 1st level characters in the world and help reign in those crazy long winded backstories that I never have time to read and incorporate into a campaign.

That said I hope there is an “Other” background, much like Starfinder’s Themeless. Since sometimes you have characters who have crazy and cool backgrounds that don’t quite fit the mould.

“I’m a tiefling raised by my devil mother in a nunnery in hell, recently I managed to escape through a portal and now I’m here in Korvosa because the wizard in the party did a summoning ritual that went wrong.” Doesn’t exactly fit the usual tropes of fantasy backgrounds we’re likely to find in the CRB.

Silver Crusade

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

A lot of the hurt feelings I’m seeing here are acting like the CRB is the only book that will ever come out. This version of the Paladin has a very malleable chassis, in a way the previous Paladin never did. Even with archetypes it was real difficult to make a divergent Paladin.
However with a modular chassis it’s possible to make Paladins of other alignments and gods without having to account for a bunch of side cases They tried that with the Tyrant Paladin in PF1E and there was a lot of stuff missed.

I would think people who want Paladins of other alignments would like the time and page space used to really differentiate each kind of alignment in a meaningful way. Which there just wouldn’t be space enough to do while also providing options for 11 other classes.

While those who want LG Paladins only have that in the CRB. With enough options that two Paladins of LG alignment would have meaningful game relevant differences and choices.

What I’m saying is can everyone follow the only Paladin tenet that matters for all alignments:

Be excellent to each other and party on dudes.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Looks like Paladins are getting interesting options at every level. I would have liked to see Paladins of other alignments but the class looks modular enough that I can easily see how future expansions could create champions of other alignments.

I really like how the new code works, making it clear what the priorities are is massively helpful to help players feel like they aren’t falling into a GM alignment trap, and give GMs clear ideas of how their players are going to react.

I’m curious how Paladin spell progression will work, or if all their spells will be intrinsically ties to their spellpoints.

Either way I’m looking forward to the tank/guardian Paladin in the playtest.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Hurká wrote:

I may not play Paladins, or hate Vancian magic, and I don't particularly care about alignment. But my ultimatum with RPGs is that I won't buy it if it doesn't encourage good roleplaying.

I know that pushing this roleplaying agenda of mine sounds selfish, but hear me out!

PF1 is a very good system. And while I'm looking forward to every single one of the slated improvements in PF2, I'm not sure if the new system will make for a better roleplaying experience for most players once the novelty wears off and the games settle in. I'm especially excited about what's around the corner with downtime and exploration modes, but I doubt that will do much to elevate mediocre play. There is a lot of mediocre PF1 play out there and it's really getting me down.

You know what would make for a better RPG? Better roleplayers! And what better place to groom gamers' roleplaying ability than in an all new CRB.

Sure, great roleplayers are great because of experience, talent, and enthusiasm, but roleplaying is very much a learned skill too and I hope that Paizo does more to help us hone it in PF2. New and experienced players (e.g. me) could benefit from a chapter that gives us exercises, tips, prompts, experiments, and other tools for us to bring our roleplaying (and in particular, my roleplaying) to new heights.

Most guides have a small section that outlines a sample session, talks about dealing with groups, disputes, GM/PC interaction, etc. No core guide that I've read delves deep into how PCs can work to better inhabit their characters, buff their acting skills, encourage creative problem solving through roleplay, and other such skills that excellent roleplayers employ. Having a large section of the CRB dedicated to roleplaying would differentiate PF2 and be a real boon to all players, especially me.

I hope that Paizo puts their wealth of latent roleplaying knowledge to ink in PF2 for us--but mostly me--to benefit from.

I'd love for this too. However, I'd like something more concrete than: "Here is some advice on how to roleplay."

I'd like some mechanical incentives rules to encourage roleplay. I've been spoiled by the likes of Powered by the Apocalypse engine games (Masks, Dungeonworld etc), and Blades in the Dark. So when I return to Pathfinder and it's a pure combat simulator with an optional roleplaying component, I do get somewhat bummed out.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I am incredibly pleased at how they managed to thread this needle.

I have a few theories about how things are going to shake out in the next movie.

Dr Strange's Plan

Spoiler:
Dr Strange saw millions of permutations of the battle against Thanos and only predicted victory in one. When he says "Sorry Tony it was the only way", he's referring to that specific permutation of reality where they win.
Strange cast some manner of spell on the Time Stone to corrupt Thanos' "kill 50% of everyone completely at random" wish. And so everyone killed by the Gauntlet is instead in the Soul Stone, where they'll be coming at Thanos through the gauntlet while the OG Avengers (plus Rocket) go into space to go kick him in the jiminies.

Silver Crusade

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Dasrak, you're not obliged to include every domain in the game in your setting. In fact the core 20 deities of the assumed Pathfinder setting don't cover all domains/subdomain options available in PF1E.

Make the deities important to your setting, pick 3 spells for each and 4 domains for each and you're done. However many you think is necessary or important.

Heck, if you're doing a "design-as-you-go", campaign building then your players can assume the domains belong to some deity but they just haven't encountered their followers yet. It's not like players need perfect knowledge of the setting.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Dasrak wrote:

So I do have a question about how the rules will support non-Golarion homebrew settings. Very few homebrew settings have pantheons as large and diverse as Golarion's, and some don't even have traditional D&D-style polytheistic pantheons. In PF1 this wasn't really a problem for Clerics. The non-theistic cleric rules were perfectly fair in their own right, and even going so far as to just let your player design their own custom deity (free pick of domains and subdomains, any martial weapon as the favored weapon) wasn't going to break anything. This meant GM's didn't have to worry about prepping for every possible mechanical option a cleric PC might want to avail themselves of.

However, in PF2 the bonus spells known are now attached directly to the deities rather than the domains, which complicates matters. Completely eliminating this bonus is very draconian, but at the same time allowing free pick of any spells would be highly inappropriate. That doesn't exactly leave easy solutions without clamping down on player choice; I do not want to have to enter into negotiations with my players every time one of them wants to play a cleric, nor do I want to be obliged to homebrew the class for whatever setting I'm running. What support will there be for us non-Golarion players in this respect?

In PF1e not all domains were equal, and letting players cherry pick domains and favoured weapons could very well lead to broken characters.

As a GM creating a custom setting, a lot of the fun is deity and pantheon design.

Maybe your setting has only two deities based on the Sun and the Moon, but both those deities have multiple religions that represent different aspects of their deities so for each religion pick appropriate domains, and three spells that represents the deities tenets.

The fact is as a GM if you’re going with a custom setting, or adapting an existing campaign setting from another game you are obliged to do some design work.

Silver Crusade

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Weather Report wrote:
ElSilverWind wrote:
How exactly are you disagreeing?

Several levels, PF is not just about Golarian, as I said above; and a fighter may want to use a certain weapon, but cannot use all of its abilities because it has the monk quality. Why not list which weapons the monk can do his monky stuff with in the class description, and if a new weapon comes along (hopefully not), they can simply state it is considered a monk weapon.

I do not want a weapon with the rogue, or barbarian quality either.

... your argument is that the “monk” tag shouldn’t exist on weapons because it might make your fighter sad?

When all that tag does is tell a monk that they can flurry or whatever with that weapon.

That’s not a Golarion exclusive thing. It’ll be an assumption for monks in any setting using Pathfinder, and sais, and temple swords in any setting using PF2E.

It just means the monk player has to jump back and forth between the class and equipment chapter while shopping.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Mark Seifter wrote:
Friendly Rogue wrote:
The Sightless Swordsman wrote:
This is also why messers are inferior weapons because you cannot end your opponent rightly.
I'm still waiting for when Paizo finally adds stats for sword pommels, but odds are they'd likely be too OP, what with them being able to completely demolish entire villages and what not.
Also, Excalibur's scabbard was actually more OP than Excalibur itself.

I mean few things are as dangerous as a big rock!

Silver Crusade

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I'm loving that every weapon you might pick gives you meaningful options in combat. The fighter being a master of many weapons will give you interesting battlefield control options and strategies.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Maverick wrote:

No problem, Turin. :) I've adapted Jade Regent to Starfinder, myself, and we're having a blast. I'm changing things around a bit so that the Jade Empire is practically unknown among the Pact Worlds, and much like the Azlanti Star Empire, is hidden across the Vast.

The PCs recently found some Minkaian starships that had fallen into the hands of a clan of space goblins, and are now investigating their origins on behalf of Marshal Hemlock of the starport town of Sandpoint, capital of the world of Varisia.

My players seem to be enjoying it so far, and I'm having a blast. I'm converting some JR enemies but bringing in a lot of the Alien Archive and Starfinder stuff when it makes more sense than what's in JR - Ravenscraeg will be an outpost located in the Diaspora, Tsuishen is a royal yacht that was sold to fund the family's integration into the Pact Worlds and recently "acquired" by a Free Pirate captain, and Brinestump Drift was a mining outpost in the asteroid belt of the Varisian system originally built by dwarves who located and attempted to study some unusual noqual formations (unfortunately for the dwarves, they invited the akata from Dead Suns Book 1 to dinner).

The space goblins found the station just days after the first akata hatched and found themselves trapped there and hunted as the fighting with the akata damaged most of their recently-salvaged starfighters. A couple of fighters escaped, and ended up taking potshots at the players' incoming vessel (Sandru Vhiski's Tier 3 explorer the Varisian Splendor), and paid for their eagerness with their lives. When Sandru had his crew (the PC) report the incident to Sandpoint's chief law enforcement officer Marshal Hemlock, he temporarily deputized the crew to investigate the origin of the fighters.

If there's any interest, I should probably post this in its own thread somewhere...

Do it.

1 to 50 of 7,390 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>