Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ

Ckorik's page

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber. Pathfinder Society Member. 950 posts. 1 review. No lists. No wishlists. 2 Pathfinder Society characters.


RSS

1 to 50 of 950 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Orfamay Quest wrote:
Ckorik wrote:

I believe the holy word (and it's unholy side) do not give a save for the banish effect.

It's 'if you are on your home plane any non good (or evil) extraplaner creatures are banished' - all other effects are save or suck (up to dead but my players are high enough to avoid that effect). If I'm wrong about how that spell works I will need to rethink things for sure.

"The banishment effect allows a Will save (at a –4 penalty) to negate."

Hrmmm - that'll be interesting then. I may have to have a geas ready to use if anyone manages to save. I could always mind fog the area but with my luck half the party will roll 20's on the save anyway. Good news is they will be paralysed even if they make the save so if I have 'alternate plans' ready it gives me a reason to not destroy them outright and keep the story moving.

So - regarding the entire spell then - one will save - and even if they save against the 'suck' parts the same save at -4 for banishment? Or would you make them roll separate saves?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
The Steel Refrain wrote:

In reading that plan over, my concern for the PCs would be that some party members make the save versus banishment and some don't. Even with a -4 and a high DC, there is always the chance someone hits a Nat20, or otherwise beats it.

If that happened, those who are 'lucky' enough to make the save would then have to fight the enemy (and any other of the myriad threats in the Abyss) without the aid of their banished allies.

Probably a death sentence, and I'm not sure the PCs would really know it might be a good idea to choose to fail the save... Worth thinking over whether that possible outcome is something you're prepared to deal with.

I believe the holy word (and it's unholy side) do not give a save for the banish effect.

It's 'if you are on your home plane any non good (or evil) extraplaner creatures are banished' - all other effects are save or suck (up to dead but my players are high enough to avoid that effect). If I'm wrong about how that spell works I will need to rethink things for sure.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Right - honestly I'm more worried about if my players will feel like it's a deus ex machina - at the end of the current quest they are on - an enemy that has been bothering them now for about 8 levels (they are currently level 11) is going to be accessible.

He's a half-fiend treant spawn of Ghlaunder (this is a very long arc I've been running along rotrl - they played through 'feast of ravenmoor' early in the adventure).

Long story short after the 'boss' fight a portal will be open - if they go through it they'll be in the abyss - and the treant will use unholy word on them - none of them being evil they'll be poofed back to home base.

I figure they will get to see their nemesis and come up with a way to avoid his ability to send them away.... hopefully -

Contrived? Too much? Epic? I'm not sure...


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Considering you can't use this ability until Monstrous Physique IV (a level 6 spell) I'd say listing it specifically for it to be useless is a mistake.

However the rules as they currently stand would indicate (but not state outright that I could find) that this ability is useless text as written and how it interacts giving you a caster level of 0 due to not having racial hit die.

As such I'm marking this thread a FAQ candidate - and I think it deserves a pass from the dev team to clean up 'racial hit die' vs. 'class hit die' language - or to clean up the polymorph school to allow class hit die to = racial hit die when assuming a form, or to remove this ability from the spell.

Somethings gotta give :)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
opakedragon wrote:


Thanks for the correction! So adding a 6th level spell later would cost 27,000 gp (46,200 gp - 19,200 gp)?

Unless you wanted to make the 6th level spell use more than one charge to activate - then you'd need to calculate the cost again with the new figure based on the # of charges you are requiring.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'd consider another planet if my players were in the 'level 20 mythic tier 8+' range - possibly. Otherwise I'd use it if I wanted to end a campaign on a sour note (that is not).

From what I can gather the common theme seems to be 'near where they left the plane' - although I've seen (older) posts (in other forums) where they are adamant they use the 'random place' - I was just curious how anyone who has either used it as a GM or had it happen to them as a player experienced the situation - and how they felt about it afterwords.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Gevaudan wrote:

The PC ends up at a random location on their home plane and has to figure out where they are and how to get back. Unless they are banished as a group, they end up in different locations on subsequent banishes.

I tend to follow plane shift's rules if no others are present. Keep in mind, the caster is picking the location or not, so a smart caster could easily dunk a PC into the middle of an ocean.

So if the banishment was from 'holy word' you'd just make it random?

oddly - it just dawned on me that 'random' in the plane of existence could even be on a different planet.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

If any of my players happen to find this post - stop reading it or any replies.

question in the spoiler.

Spoiler:

How have you handled what happens when a player is banished from a plane back to their home plane?

The following spells can be used offensively against a player on a separate plane:

Holy Word (and it's opposite)
banishment
plane shift
dismissal

I'm just curious as there is no rule, suggestion, or guidance on how this works and where the player ends up. I know for a monster it really doesn't matter - but if I'm going to use this against my players I'm unsure what to do with them. I have ideas - they would work - but I'd rather hear what others do without discussing the merits of my thoughts. Please post if you have had 'whatever' done to you or have used it against a group at a game session as well or if it's pure theory. Bonus points if you can say what happened to your character and if you found the experience fun or frustrating.

My goal isn't to be frustrating - I want this encounter to be a foreshadow of something they won't have the power to deal with for a while and end with them being forced back to their home plane. They have access to teleport and other fast travel so ending up in an odd location isn't a campaign ender.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Why do they have to do increased damage? The abilities that stay relevant throughout a carer tend to not be damage ones - instead why not put a rider on the damage that is thematic to the concept they come from?

Fire blast:
1d6 damage + 1 per 2 caster levels and the next fire spell is a -1 (plus 1 every 4 caster levels max 5) on the save made.

Or

1d6 damage +1 per 2 caster levels and the target can not use evasion on the next reflex save he makes...

Just tossing out ideas...


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
GreyWolfLord wrote:

You think 15 point builds are hard, try 10 point builds.

10 point builds for a Tier 1, 12 Point build for a Tier 2, 15 point build for a Tier 3, and 20 point build for a Tier 4.

Unfortunately, many here would still consider that unfair...

Ironically, you can still get a Wizard casting 9th level spells by level 20 with that buy in...or if they want to spend MORE than half their points...even level 18, with another +1 in any stat they wish!

Depends on your access to items that raise stats.

Playing DDO (dungeons and dragons online) with unlimited wealth and loot (and the 3.5 rules) you see the evolution of this type of character building - some of the popular caster builds start with a 12 in the prime casting stat - because they don't rely on DC's so getting a +6 item and a tome for +1 is enough to hit 9th level casting.

If you play a character with all 10's - but the world rewards them with items and boosts to make them heroic - the original stats didn't matter much at all. My experience with real table top play however would show that the stat increasing items aren't all that easy to get. The big 'empty' seems to be in the mid levels - as +2 hats and belts drop aplenty - but getting the +4's are super rare - and +6's might as well be bought.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
MeanMutton wrote:
Deadalready wrote:
First tip: Avoid more than one "random attack" encounter. Nothing drags the speed down or makes a journey seem longer than fights. Even if you want to do more than one, make them possible to avoid through diplomacy/intimidate. MAJOR POINTS if you can fill the journey with events that DON'T require combat. Players fight all the time, so filling the journey other things makes it feel special.
Relevant comic is relevant

This comic is relevant depending on the game you intend to play. This is the most important point here - if you are playing a 'the world is vast and mysterious' sandbox type of game - you should make travel take time - allow one 50 mile hex of travel per day and have the map fleshed out with interesting locations and such for your players to find and interact with - have your table for survival dc's to avoid being lost if they venture into the woods - have planned and random encounters and hooks that may derail the original reason they set out to travel in the first place - etc. In this type of game - travel and random encounters are important.

If the type of game you are playing is about a big story that involves set pieces and don't want your party to be sidetracked - and the only encounters they have on the road are all random and irrelevant - honestly skip it. As someone stated earlier if you aren't interested in your encounters your players won't be either - this is so true more than anything - the tone of the two types of games are very different here and if the players are more interested in the plot it's more than fine to 'gloss over' boring parts to move on with the interesting stuff.

Not every game plays the same way - the only thing that really derails a game is if you try to switch game styles on your players without warning or reason, set expectations and (assuming everyone is enjoying the game) have fun.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I just wanted to chime in here to throw some ideas out - not sure how you'd work it with the current situation but...

Jorgenfist:

So your group hates dungeons - get rid of the dungeon - make Coana (spelling... the ally giant) contact them - give them quests to 'win over' each of the different tribes of giants (they all have different ways to impress depending on type) have them form an alliance and win the 'army' over. Let them walk up to big M with the entire army at your back and he challenges your party to 'one on one' or something to save face (and keep the army out of the fight). Dump 90% of the dungeon for the above plot.

Runeforge:

The runelords hated each other - make the infiltration about how to win over the various factions - yes perhaps there is a dungeon (and perhaps a wing or two has no interest at all in being allies) but ancient hatred lingers and the minions of the other runelords would hate to see Karzog get out and claim power when their lords can't/haven't.

The big mountain:

Quest 1 - put the dwarves to rest - this can be played up with a group of dwarves staying at the lodge cabin in the woods style that beg for help.

Quest 2 - free the yeti enslavement (roleplaying etc)

Quest 3 - ally the dragon

Quest 4 - free the giants from corruption

Quest 5 - stealth through the fortress of Big K

Quest 6 - enter the final fight.

etc.

There are ways to make the entire thing friendly to your group - however it's going to take a ton of work from you - remember combat is never a 'must' and the only reason there are so many combats is because it takes that many to level up - if you level up by fiat you can eliminate 90% of the combats and keep it streamlined.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Atarlost wrote:
Lemmy wrote:
Atarlost wrote:
Strong, can do anything, but can't do everything in the same character. That sounds like tier 2 to me.
They can do everything in the same character... Just not in the same day. All Cleric builds still have access to all their spells.
The cleric can't do everything with spells without having the stats to back them up and can't have the stats for both dealing damage and forcing saves at a useful level at the same time because the combat buffs are no longer good enough to overcome poor combat stats. They just don't have the "hurting people" spells to fill the hammer role without strength (or dex and dex to damage) and lack spells to make hurting people irrelevant. Instead they have a list full of spells that fill the same handful of roles in slightly different ways.

The cleric can summon pizza at level 5 and therefore fill all roles needed for party synergy.

ipso facto tier 1.

They can even summon a pizza with pineapple and one without - and a pile of oats for the odd goat person that hates pizza.

everyone wins - party time happens.

Should a monster happen to show up - the cleric can summon pizza for them also.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Think of it this way - you don't have to take the -20 - and you don't have to make the grab until the last attack.

So your monster can...

  • Grab and constrict at full CMB after a move - then drop the grapple as a free action
  • Full attack and grab/constrict on last attack at full CMB - then drop the grapple as a free action
  • Choose to keep the grab without taking the condition - and thus getting a full attack/etc.
  • It's a nasty ability that is very very powerful and useful for a monster - the ones that typically *want* to hold a character with grab have the CMB to do it (Krakken etc.)


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Menacing Shade of mauve wrote:
    Rune wrote:
    Ckorik wrote:
    Wizards can do this with a trait - and aren't limited on what they can summon with it.
    Mind sharing that one? Looks neat.
    +1. Because I've never seen that trait.

    Going to apologize - it's a feat not a trait - it's called Acadame Graduate - it's out of the curse of the crimson throne player's guide.

    Spoiler:

    Acadamae Graduate (Local)

    You have graduated from the magical acadamy.

    Prerequisites: Specialist wizard level 1st, cannot have conjuration as a forbidden school.

    Benefit: Whenever you cast a prepared arcane spell from the conjuration (summoning) school that takes longer than a standard action to cast, reduce the casting time by one round (to a minimum casting time of one standard action). Casting a spell in this way is taxing and requires a Fortitude save (DC 15 + spell level) to resist becoming fatigued.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    James Risner wrote:
    meta magic gem

    Well I'll be.... I didn't even know about this item. I am always happy when I discover new things that are cool - and I like these even though they cost a ton. Although they aren't level limited like a rod either.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    Paizo AP\adventure scale rules:

    AP's are built on a 4 person party with:

    1 melee
    1 full arcane
    2 utility

    What counts as a melee?

    Anything who's primary mode of damage is hitting, with multiple attacks at higher levels. This includes caster classes that focus on this such as (but not limited to) druids, alchemists, even sorcerers or wizards (although less likely to be a wizard).

    What counts as full arcane?

    Anything who has 9 levels of arcane spells and doesn't use those spells to enhance their own ability for melee.

    What counts as utility?

    Anything that isn't the above. Seriously - in general these guys have class features that focus on buffing/debuffing or altering the odds in the players favor in some manner - this includes clerics (9 spell levels and if you really pay attention you note that most of them are add numbers to party or subtract them from enemy).

    How do I use this to balance the adventure?

    Look at your party - put each character in a category based on the above criteria. Fill in the slots for what the adventure assumes (1 melee, 1 arcane, 2 utility) - now look at what you have left.

    • For each melee left Add 50% Hit points to every monster
    • For each full arcane left Add monster(s) to every encounter equal to the party CR - use best judgement here if the CR of an encounter is already equal or less than the party and meant to be easy then adjust down - never adjust higher than CR = party - use multiple lower level foes when possible rather than one large one
    • For each utility left Increase all saves, and special ability DC's by 1 per utility character

    When do I use these guidelines?
    Start after level 2 - the first 2 levels are difficult for players and it is this GM's personal opinion that changing things during these levels requires a much more delicate and careful brush than general guidelines can give you - otherwise your game may be very...


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    James Risner wrote:
    Kusori wrote:
    So what happens if a wizard/sorcerer uses Emergency Force Sphere to counter your limited castings of Stormbolts?

    Buff up and ready for when they teleport out?

    Destroy the 200 hp hardness 30 wall with 230 hp storm bolts with the first one and quicken the other to kill the wizard?

    Ask the GM if that's a valid use of EFS as there is significant difference of opinion on whether or not it can interrupt an attack like that.

    I gotta ask...

    Quote:
    1d8 points of electricity damage per caster level (maximum 20d8)

    How are you getting 230 hp on a storm bolts.... 160 would be maximized, 160+80 = 230 - but that would require a maximized and empowered. Maximized is 3 levels higher. Empowered is +2 - so you can't memorize the spell with either - and you can only use one rod at a time.

    So... how goes?


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Rysky wrote:
    Ckorik wrote:
    Rory wrote:
    Rysky wrote:
    "Barbarian's Damage Reduction" always meant DR gained from the class, not just a Barbarian who has DR from any source.

    It does not say "Barbarian's Damage Reduction". It says "barbarian's damage reduction".

    The difference between a common and proper noun is important.

    If they are going to issue errata due to the FAQ, they should fix it in all places. 'Tis all.

    So wait... you are saying that how it's written - the DR would stack with say ... stoneskin.... because when someone casts that on the barbarian it becomes 'barbarian's damage reduction'?

    What about mithril armor? Why didn't everyone suddenly understand that IR with mithril armor and stoneskin would be 'invulnerable' in the true meaning of the word!

    One of the reasons I hate dealing with intentionally fallacious people.

    (And I'm gonna assume you meant Adamantine)

    I did! Although in the context for which it's meant... did it matter? I did forget my [sarcasm] tags though....


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    HyperMissingno wrote:
    Let's not forget these guys can spend one feat to get access to standard action summons. While not as powerful as the summoner class it's still a standard action to add another ally to the fight and depending on hat you go it can utterly break it.

    Wizards can do this with a trait - and aren't limited on what they can summon with it.

    Standard action summons in general aren't a miricle to the class nor do they give a prayer to the righteous might that is a cleric.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Rory wrote:
    Rysky wrote:
    "Barbarian's Damage Reduction" always meant DR gained from the class, not just a Barbarian who has DR from any source.

    It does not say "Barbarian's Damage Reduction". It says "barbarian's damage reduction".

    The difference between a common and proper noun is important.

    If they are going to issue errata due to the FAQ, they should fix it in all places. 'Tis all.

    So wait... you are saying that how it's written - the DR would stack with say ... stoneskin.... because when someone casts that on the barbarian it becomes 'barbarian's damage reduction'?

    What about mithril armor? Why didn't everyone suddenly understand that IR with mithril armor and stoneskin would be 'invulnerable' in the true meaning of the word!


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    MendedWall12 wrote:
    Orfamay Quest wrote:
    I certainly understand the desire for this particular shenanigan; if allowed, it would make unseen servant among the most powerful first level spells in the game.
    That's exactly why I don't understand it, and why I labeled it shenanigans. At any point does the logical part of a person's brain lend itself to thinking the spell called "unseen servant" should be one of the most powerful first level spells in the game? If the devs had wanted it to do what the OP is asking they would have renamed it "unseen combat stopping power of awesomesauceness-orama!"

    oddly - depending on your imagination and the situation - it does rank up there.

    You can use an unseen servant to pick up weapons, hold items, open/shut doors - etc. You really don't get another spell that has the duration or versatility and the ability to change the battlefield in ways that would have otherwise cost you actions.

    This spell with silent image, or even dancing lights can cause serious distractions for your opponents.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    You all are lowball - 10gp for a night is 'average' IMO - in the real world (yeah I know not pathfinder - but we get the term from some-place and so it's a good place to start for reference) we can look at the recent Gov of New York scandal to get an idea of what high class *starts* to look like.

    5,000 U.S. - per night.

    I doubt that's the upper limit - and I'm pretty sure that movie stars and richer people have access to even higher class. There is a level where you pay for discretion more than the company.

    So the 12th level bard.... Nope I'd go with thousands of gold per night - enough cash to live in the upper crust in a very large city. Any place that has legalized sex work you will find that it's a very good job in terms of compensation without much of the baggage and risk associated when it's made illegal and pushed underground. While it's not something discussed with large amounts of material we know that places like Sandpoint and Magnimar have named brothel locations so we can assume that at least in parts of the world they operate in full view of the law and as such the sums involved are most likely on the 'well off' end of any NPC wealth scale.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    Fraction of Heal and Harm says:

    Quote:
    This spell has no effect on spells that do not deal damage or spells higher than 3rd level.

    Detonate says:

    Quote:

    Detonate

    School evocation [acid, cold, electricity, or fire]; Level alchemist 4, sorcerer/wizard 4

    They don't interact at all.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    Qauishan Yeti

    Spoiler:

    This furry hominid's orange eyes blaze not with fury but with wisdom, and the white hair around its face is streaked with gray.
    --------------------
    Qauishan Yeti CR 6
    XP 2,400
    Yeti monk 5 (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 287)
    LN Large monstrous humanoid (cold)
    Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft., scent; Perception +12
    --------------------
    Defense
    --------------------
    AC 22, touch 15, flat-footed 20 (+2 Dex, +1 monk, +7 natural, -1 size, +3 Wis)
    hp 93 (11 HD; 5d8+6d10+38)
    Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +12; +2 vs. enchantments
    Defensive Abilities evasion; Immune cold, disease
    Weaknesses vulnerable to fire
    --------------------
    Offense
    --------------------
    Speed 50 ft., climb 30 ft.
    Melee unarmed strike +16/+11 (2d6+8 plus 1d6 cold) or
    . . unarmed strike flurry of blows +16/+16/+11/+6 (2d6+8 plus 1d6 cold) or
    . . 2 claws +17 (1d6+8/19-20 plus 1d6 cold)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
    Special Attacks flurry of blows, frightful gaze, rend (2 claws, 1d6+11 plus 1d6 cold), stunning fist (6/day, DC 18)
    --------------------
    Statistics
    --------------------
    Str 24, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 9, Wis 16, Cha 8
    Base Atk +9; CMB +19; CMD 33
    Feats Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Feral Combat Training[UC], Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (claw), Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Stunning Fist, Weapon Focus (claw)
    Skills Acrobatics +10 (+23 to jump), Climb +24, Intimidate +8, Perception +12, Stealth +10 (+18 in snow), Survival +11; Racial Modifiers +4 Stealth, +8 Stealth in snow
    Languages Aklo
    SQ cold, fast movement, high jump, ki pool (5 points magic), maneuver training, slow fall 20 ft.
    Other Gear amulet of mighty fists +1
    --------------------
    Special Abilities
    --------------------
    Cleave If you hit a foe, attack an adjacent target at the same attack bonus but take -2 AC.
    Climbing (30 feet) You have a Climb speed.
    Cold (Su) A yeti's body generates intense cold, dealing 1d6 points of cold damage to any creature that contacts it with a natural attack or unarmed strike, or whenever it hits a foe with its claws or rend attack.
    Combat Reflexes (3 AoO/round) Can make extra attacks of opportunity/rd, and even when flat-footed.
    Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
    Deflect Arrows (1/round) While have an empty hand, negate one ranged weapon hit you are aware of (unless from a massive weapon).
    Evasion (Ex) If succeed on Reflex save for half dam, take none instead.
    Fast Movement (+10 ft.) The Monk adds 10 or more feet to his base speed.
    Feral Combat Training (Claw) Use Improved Unarmed Strike feats with chosen natural weapon.
    Flurry of Blows +9/+9/+4/-1 (Ex) As full-rd action, higher BAB and combo unarmed/monk wep as if two-weapon fighting.
    Frightful Gaze (DC 12) (Su) Foes in 30 ft who meet gaze are paralyzed with fear for 1 rd (Will neg).
    High Jump (+5/+25 with Ki point) (Ex) +5 to Acrobatics checks made to jump.
    Immunity to Cold You are immune to cold damage.
    Immunity to Disease You are immune to diseases.
    Improved Unarmed Strike Unarmed strikes don't cause attacks of opportunity, and can be lethal.
    Ki Pool (5/day) (Su) You have a ki pool equal to 1/2 your monk level + your Wisdom modifier.
    Maneuver Training (Ex) CMB = other BABs + Monk level
    Power Attack -3/+6 You can subtract from your attack roll to add to your damage.
    Scent (Ex) Detect opponents within 15+ feet by sense of smell.
    Slow Fall 20 ft. (Ex) Treat a fall as shorter than normal if within arm's reach of a wall.
    Stunning Fist (6/day, DC 18) You can stun an opponent with an unarmed attack.
    Stunning Fist Helper This is a dummy ability to add an extra entry for the stunning fist feat in another section of the statblock (since it is shown with a different name in the two places, we can't use sbName).
    Vulnerable to Fire You are vulnerable (+50% damage) to Fire damage.

    CR 6 - 11 HD


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Grom Kranock wrote:

    Sorry for the FAQ request in the title.

    James Risner wrote wrote:
    Threads are not supposed to have "FAQ request" or similar in the title. There is a FAQ on this.
    I have checked the Core Rulebook FAQ page and could not find anything related to unseen servant. Is it more of a general rule about spell effects or something like that?

    It's not a hard rule - but it's also suggested as bad form by the people who answer the questions....

    Here is the link: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qbfv?The-Rules-FAQ-and-How-to-Use-It

    Quote:

    Should I put "FAQ request" or “Designer response needed” in my post or thread?
    No.
    Doing so suggests that your post or thread is more “worthy” of staff attention than someone else’s thread which doesn’t include this text.
    Also, because having more FAQ clicks doesn’t make a thread more likely to be answered, doing this to encourage more FAQ clicks doesn’t help you.
    Finally, most people insisting they need a designer or developer to weigh in with an official answer are in a situation where they’re disagreeing with the GM or another player and one side refuses to budge unless they get an official response from Paizo, and Paizo doesn’t want to encourage that sort of heavy-handedness.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    BigNorseWolf wrote:
    Ckorik wrote:


    As a formless force any creature counts as three size categories larger - even a diminutive one.

    This is made up. You can't use this to "correct" something that i said thats "Wrong"

    Well the idea of a 'formless force' having a 'form' is made up to begin with - I thought we were continuing down that line of thought.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    BigNorseWolf wrote:
    Quote:

    Sure it takes up a square. However taking up a square doesn't 'block' movement through that square. It only 'blocks' staying in that square at the end of the movement.

    It can't attack of opportunity - it can't provide flank - it can't threaten - so who cares?

    any melee opponent that wants to attack you when you summon 8 of these things to guard you
    Quote:
    A big creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories smaller than it is. Creatures moving through squares occupied by other creatures provoke attacks of opportunity from those creatures.

    As a formless force any creature counts as three size categories larger - even a diminutive one. As it doesn't threaten it can't take the attack of opportunity.

    So that doesn't matter.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    Lets make an assumption....

    Sure it takes up a square. However taking up a square doesn't 'block' movement through that square. It only 'blocks' staying in that square at the end of the movement.

    It can't attack of opportunity - it can't provide flank - it can't threaten - so who cares?

    What's the point of this question - are you going to summon an army of these things to stand around a wizard and thus 'protect' him? Ranged (as it's invisible and shapeless it doesn't provide cover) and reach weapons stop that from being worth the investment, spring attack works as well. I don't get the point of why it matters - and as such I won't keep track of the 'square' it's using - especially considering that 'shapeless' is actually smaller than 'tiny' which can already share squares with foes - so I'll go with:

    takes up a square - can share space with others due to size (smaller than tiny) - has no cmd or way to threaten - makes no difference to game regardless of answer.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    Oh boy if you think detect magic is bad don't ever let one of your players get the trapfinder talent...

    Traps (as they exist in the rules) are not meant to be huge challenges to find (or disable) if you want them to be effective put them in places where they are armed during a fight, or places where the fight will go and the players can't take the time to search.

    Example:

    Fight between 5 goblins and players - 1 goblin runs down the hall after saying out lout 'Imma gonna get da 100 other goblins two rooms over guys'

    Players will try to stop him - but goblin goes past the *TRAP* which he avoids because he knows it's there and did the entire thing intentionally to trap the players (because there are no more goblins in the other room).

    Player runs into the trap because they can't search and chase a goblin at the same time.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Kazumetsa Raijin wrote:

    So overall what I gather for #2, is that technically it's legal from what I understood in my OP, but it definitely was not the intention as it was supposed to be limited to Feats. It would indeed be too powerful with AoMF enchants also stacking with Weapon enchants, for some really nasty effects and effectively turning my Weapon(or anyone else's really) into a +15 item, in a sense. No FAQ/Errata available yet.

    I'll make sure to drop it by my GM for his ultimate decision. Thank you again for the responses everyone!

    That's not what makes it imbalanced - because there is a hard limit of +10 on any weapon enchant. Going 'beyond 10' is possible with core rules and no options - just enchant an arrow to +10 and enchant a bow to +10 - boom +20 bonus - except it doesn't work. So no feat\ability ever lets you go past the +10 'mortal' limit.

    What makes it imbalanced is that it lets you achieve very high level enchants for cheap - each enchant past +1 gets more expensive, however allowing you to combine two enchant effects lets you get to much higher effect levels for half the price. This is what causes the issues.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    Paizo AP\adventure scale rules:

    AP's are built on a 4 person party with:

    1 melee
    1 full arcane
    2 utility

    What counts as a melee?

    Anything who's primary mode of damage is hitting, with multiple attacks at higher levels. This includes caster classes that focus on this such as (but not limited to) druids, alchemists, even sorcerers or wizards (although less likely to be a wizard).

    What counts as full arcane?

    Anything who has 9 levels of arcane spells and doesn't use those spells to enhance their own ability for melee.

    What counts as utility?

    Anything that isn't the above. Seriously - in general these guys have class features that focus on buffing/debuffing or altering the odds in the players favor in some manner - this includes clerics (9 spell levels and if you really pay attention you note that most of them are add numbers to party or subtract them from enemy).

    How do I use this to balance the adventure?

    Look at your party - put each character in a category based on the above criteria. Fill in the slots for what the adventure assumes (1 melee, 1 arcane, 2 utility) - now look at what you have left.

    • For each melee left Add 50% Hit points to every monster
    • For each full arcane left Add monster(s) to every encounter equal to the party CR - use best judgement here if the CR of an encounter is already equal or less than the party and meant to be easy then adjust down - never adjust higher than CR = party - use multiple lower level foes when possible rather than one large one
    • For each utility left Increase all saves, and special ability DC's by 1 per utility character

    When do I use these guidelines?
    Start after level 2 - the first 2 levels are difficult for players and it is this GM's personal opinion that changing things during these levels requires a much more delicate and careful brush than general guidelines can give you - otherwise your game may be very deadly early on.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Fergie wrote:
    Ckorik wrote:
    Example: quoting oppression from a dictionary but crossing out the part that proves us wrong and then dismissing it as if it was irrelevant.

    Oops! Sorry about that. I had intended the strikethrough to indicate the parts that I felt where not inherent aspects of slavery in a fantasy world. Thus concluding that it did not meet the conditions of "oppression", which I agreed was an Evil characteristic.

    Sorry for any confusion.

    EDIT: As Tacticslion indicated - If your definition of slavery requires oppression and cruelty. Of course it's evil. I would add that either way it is an affront to Chaos.

    Funny as I see good and evil defined in my CRB but slavery isn't - what are we to do.... oh yeah use the actual dictionary that includes oppression - as there is no other definition that fits the word.

    I find it funny now that you retreat to the idea that you are using some alternate definition of slavery - so please give us a quote from the game material that doesn't include "hardship, especially by the unjust exercise of authority." Please remember that the word 'especially' does not also mean 'exclusively'. Alternatively, perhaps you could give us a dictionary definition that meets this definition you are working under - without parts in strikeout - that exists even in the real world; I will need a source also as I'm curious where it exists outside of stormfront.org


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Fergie wrote:

    Well, I was quoting the Pathfinder alignment section, but if we are quoting the dictionary, let's do it fully:

    op·press
    əˈpres/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: oppressing
    "keep (someone) in subservience and hardship, especially by the unjust exercise of authority.
    But we are not talking about hardship or injustice, so oppression is not really an applicable word.
    We are talking about subservience:
    "Subservient means "compliant," "obedient," "submissive," or having the qualities of a servant. Something that's subservient has been made useful, or put into the service of, something else."
    Given peoples willingness to proudly declare themselves servants of religions, governments, philosophies, etc. I'm just not seeing the inherent Evil oppression of being a servant.

    Cherry Picking

    (also known as: suppressed evidence, fallacy of incomplete evidence, argument by selective observation, argument by half-truth, card stacking, fallacy of exclusion, ignoring the counter evidence, one-sided assessment, slanting, one-sidedness)

    Description: When only select evidence is presented in order to persuade the audience to accept a position, and evidence that would go against the position is withheld. The stronger the withheld evidence, the more fallacious the argument.

    Example: quoting oppression from a dictionary but crossing out the part that proves us wrong and then dismissing it as if it was irrelevant.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Fergie wrote:
    Ckorik wrote:

    This. Tired of this topic - tired of seeing people try to justify the very worst of humanity in some manner like they suddenly found some clever logic bomb that turns a topic on it's head.

    From my reading of the thread, absolutely no one has tried to justify the worst aspects of slavery (especially American slavery).

    The thread title does. Perhaps you are reading a different thread?

    Quote:


    And it should be noted that there are almost no aspects of real world slavery that are decent.

    So close - remove almost from your sentence and you would have had it. Slavery is one of those things you can replace with another word - like 'And it should be noted that there are almost no aspect of real world torture that are decent.' - note here that torture is a lightly offensive term I used to avoid upsetting entire classes of people other words could be used to hurt in this context. Slavery has no aspects that are or were decent.

    Quote:


    However, slavery is just one of many arrangements or contracts that people formed societies around.

    In what universe do you inhabit where buying a human that has no choice in the matter equal a contract or 'arrangement'. We also have ritual sacrifice (even now!) in the world are we going to argue the possible merits of that? Does the blessing of the sun god and the greater good produced make up for the heart of a child you had to cut out? Some things shouldn't be debated.

    Quote:


    Like virtually every other type of hierarchical structure, there are endless examples of horror perpetrated in it's name. If we removed every type of government, economic system, religious institution (such as marriage) that had bad deeds associated with it, there would be nothing left.

    I rather like horror and have no issue with the game having slavery - however every place it's legal should be labeled evil - end stop. That includes Absalom where the 'centerpiece' of the organized play happens. There was a PFS guy just last week wanting to play a slaver for a weekly wage roll. A roll with dozens of options all mechanically the same that earns you a little gold - and because the campaign is set in an area where slavery is tolerated and it's not given a big fat EVIL by Paizo in every place it's located there was disagreement over if that'd be allowed by the venture captains.

    This is a problem and it doesn't help the hobby.

    Quote:


    I would encourage people to remember that we are NOT talking about the real world when we discuss fantasy settings. We are talking about a world with a bizarre universe of entire planes of existence based on the Good-Evil axis and Law-Choas axis.

    Look you may not talk about the real world - however I'm old enough to remember the 'demon-scare' of the early 80's - a bad Tom Hanks movie and being threatened to be tossed out of my high school for having a dungeons and dragons book in my backpack (this was the early 90's!). This *game* is played by kids as well as us old people and while having concepts that are adult in the game is good there is no reason to play 'moral ambiguity' - it's not interesting and turns more people away from the hobby than it includes.

    Lastly I'm going to take this argument closer to home as while the game is played worldwide it's made here in the U.S.A. For those of you who haven't been paying attention racism isn't exactly a solved issue here in the country and has gotten worse in the last few years. Frankly giving one of these nitwits a way to use the game as another way to hammer people they don't like disgusts me in ways I can't articulate.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Ms. Pleiades wrote:
    Kobold Cleaver wrote:
    Guys come on we just had this thing.
    Maybe Paizo should take it as a hint that they're writing slavery as a touch too acceptable and ubiquitous in vast, huge swaths of Golarion.

    This. Tired of this topic - tired of seeing people try to justify the very worst of humanity in some manner like they suddenly found some clever logic bomb that turns a topic on it's head.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    I'm on the vote that you are better off removing him from the game at this point. This will only get worse.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    Watch the movie Predator.

    That.... that's what 'see invisibility' does - it's about as good a way to explain it as anything.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    spoilers... obviously...

    Spoiler:

    Rise of the Runelords: Never met a trope it didn't like - except book 3 - book 3 is like Saw meets Hostile....

    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Kings a perv so he marries a hot younger girl - who knew she'd be a black widow baby? Stop the evil queen from taking over the kingdom... (nope that idea is NEW DAMNIT!).

    Legacy of Fire: If you get tired of gnolls well my friend let me show you how much you wish you had gnolls once you are trapped in another dimension for 2/3's of the campaign....

    Skull and Shackles: Be Pirates arrrr - but good ones... you know because we were unsure bad could work when we made this....

    Jade Reagent: If you thought this was the 'oriental' adventure you are wrong! Lets show you how a trip around the world can make an entire campaign - none of this silly GM says 'you travel around the world it takes you 6 months' stuff - LIVE THE JOURNEY!

    Reign of Winter: Serve Baba Yaga! See the Universe! Citizens can vote!

    Second Darkness: We didn't know how to start this (because doing some low level task for the elves would have been too cliché) but you all wanted our version of Drow so TAKE IT AND LIKE IT.

    Shattered Star: Rod of Seven Parts redone in our style. Suck it Gygax.

    Wrath of the Righteous: You go into the abyss and kill a demon lord - if you don't think that the campaign is going to be a bit monty haul with this premise in mind please look elsewhere and stop b#~~$ing.

    Mummy's Mask: For inspiration we watched Steve Martin sing 'King-Tut' for 48 hours in the Clockwork Orange encouragement chair.

    Hell's Rebels: Players: We want a city based campaign with lots of intrigue and diplomacy... Us: here it is and on top of that has the most real and horrible version of hell in print for any 'role playing' game ever printed as the prize at the end' Players... 'huh? this is boring.... zzzzzz /drool'

    Hell's Vengeance: we can not let the 3rd party people show us up - EVIL here we come! But only half evil... the diet coke of evil...

    Giantslayer: This is the first time we took the name on the adventure path and stuck to the theme. Like if you don't like this go tell people to shut up when they complain about robots....

    (speaking of)

    Iron Gods: Aliens, Androids, this is like blade runner meats Conan and is blended up in a bit of Logan's Run.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    Climb - this weapon can be used to aid climb attempts

    survival - weapons in this group help survive harsh climates - either they are the best in category (like the machete) or they hold some basic gear (survival knife) +2 to survival checks while carrying this weapon

    weighted - use of sand inside a hollow hilt allows devastating blows with this weapon, crit range is doubled and stacks with other crit multipliers - however the balance of the weapons is off resulting in only half the attacks you could otherwise make - if you only have 1 attack it is now 1 every other round, etc.

    disguised - this weapon is meant to resemble a mundane item - +2 to slight of hand checks to conceal or hide the weapon.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Quintain wrote:

    Ckorik,

    The cavern we were in was wider than the 20' radius, but not higher.

    In this case, the torches "dim light" radius does not reach past the darkness area of effect.

    I hear you - however the answer is going to define your game and how your players will react to your game. The question is: Do you use mechanics end stop - or do you use mechanics and a bit of common sense where the mechanics end?

    The answer you give is important and something you should stick with in the future regarding how to react to things when your players use the rules against common sense - which happens - alot. Take this example. Light a candle in a pitch black room with no windows. How large is the 'visible light distance' (the throw as it were). Now imagine this is a basketball court - there is a short distance at which the candle is no longer usable to see by.

    Now have someone else hold the candle - and go to the other side of the court - where they can't see you at all using the candle light. Can you still see the candle? The game rules don't cover everything - the 'dim light' radius is a game mechanic to give you a hard rule for an approximate thing which is 'how far can I see using this light source'

    Magic changes this - in that it creates hard and fast rules for how the light reacts - point of fact - a light spell is safer than a torch in a dungeon because it's radius is a *hard shell* just like darkness. A Torch however is natural light - as such it is visible from a much much larger area than it's visible light spreads. And in that scenario you outlined I would have an 'aura' around the shell of the darkness because the magical darkness is *so* absolute that any ambient light from either side is going to be a *dramatic* opposition to the magic.

    However if you want to use the rules and not add those types of situations - in that case outside of the usable radius of a candle - even without magic - someone shouldn't see the flame. Just be ready for the players to use 'but the rules say...' as an argument back at you.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Rovagug, The Rough Beast wrote:
    Good luck getting rid of me! Why you'd have to pull Golarion into some sort of pocket dimension and wipe out all recorded history of how it was done to shut me up. But, I mean *nervous chuckle* they'll never do THAT...

    I guess it's a good thing that prophecy is dead and there is no possible way that the future could already be written for you.

    Isn't it?


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    I'm gonna go with depends.

    Does the darkness area cover completely all angles between the torches and the darkvision user?

    Example:

    10 foot tall corridor - 10 foot wide - 100 feet long - torches at one end - darkvision person at the other - darkness in the middle.
    Answer - no

    Example2:

    Cavern - 100 feet tall - 100 feet wide - 100 feet long - torches at one end - darkvision person at the other - darkness in the middle. I'd say yes - and the residual glow from the torches would actually 'outline' the darkness area making it look like a rainbow-ish shape of light.

    A single candle is visible 1.5 miles away in the darkness by the common eyeball - yes it may not give 'visible' light (enough to see by) but it's very very noticeable in the dark even if you can't make out 'what' it is.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    justaworm wrote:
    Chess Pwn wrote:
    To anyone that wants to make this complicated. If you "only see what you say you search" than you stand in one place and search everything you can from the square you're in. If that means 100 checks for the 100 squares in the room than so be it, They'll take 20 100 times if they are worried about traps. If you're wanting to hide rolls then they take 20 to make sure they get a "high roll". All you end up accomplishing is wasting time. So I don't see what benefit it's giving you to make it more complicated.

    Wholeheartedly agree here. I've tinkered with this approach in the past and the result is (a) very, very slow going early on, and then (b) the party missing everything after they get tired of searching every single little thing.

    We tend to forget sometimes that this is meant to be a social game and not a Golarion dynamic simulation.

    Same here - my game runs so much smoother when I tell my players (who have horrible dice) to take 10 or 20.

    player: I want to try and open that door
    me: (Door has a DC 25 str check to force) ok it's a Str check
    player: 18
    me: nope
    player: stares blankly
    me: others can aid you - why don't you take 20.....
    players: oh yeah I aid... etc.
    me: moving the game along.......

    If I needed that door to stay shut - I could make it stay shut. I am not going to hold the game up for a str check.... at least not in an AP style adventure. Old school (when playing Rappan for example) yeah I might - but my 'RA' experiments so far have been with full upfront warnings that I was using old school styles and rules for a different feel of game.

    We've had fun with both styles - one is way more deadly and about exploration - the other is fairly tame and about a story. I wouldn't discount either but they are very different in scope and feel.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Claxon wrote:


    That is absolutely the proper and only way traps should be employed, in my opinion.

    A trap on its own is not interesting or a serious threat, unless it can one shot someone. If it can one shot someone it's seriously un-fun for players in general.

    Making traps a part of combat is the correct way to use traps.

    I get that they're a "staple" of the genre, but trying to make them matter outside of combat is honestly just never going to work. And GMs who try to hard to force just end up earning the ire of their players.

    I disagree - I think traps can be interesting and enjoyable without having to be 'one shot deadly'. However they were overused in the early stages of the game - and usually in the 'oh you didn't find that trap - you are now dead' type of way. That leads us to the present situation where they are kind of a non-factor.

    I am pretty sure Paizo knows this as well which is why we have haunts - which serve as xp handouts, can give massive backstory through their mechanics, and also can be pretty nasty traps in their own right.

    I do think, however, that traps as they exist in the current game fit your description.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    hasteroth wrote:


    There's also absolutely no rule that establishes an effective range or specifies whether or not you have to analyse something specific or can simply attempt to perceive everything within your line of sight/hearing/etc.

    Wrong - Ultimate Intrigue officially puts the Pathfinder Unchained rule into the rules (and not alternative). Active perception checks are no more than 10x10 and often can and should be smaller spaces - the given example is a cluttered area where a given check is only 5x5.

    So the official rule is 10x10 or less per check, up to GM discretion.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Franz Lunzer wrote:

    If you fail to notice a trap and trip the trigger of said trap (while searching for said trap), it goes off.

    If you don't trip the trigger, nothing happens (regardless of the character noticing or not noticing the trap).

    There isn't a trap published that functions that way in Pathfinder. The theoretical trap:

    Quote:


    Magic Missile trap:
    Trigger: line of sight
    Effect: 1 magic missile per round at anything within light of sight
    Reset: Automatic
    Type: Magical
    XP: millions - because it's a strawman

    This trap is at the end of a 60 foot hallway and has a line of sight trigger so that when you enter the hallway 60 feet away from the trap it fires magic missiles at whoever is in the hallway

    The rogue can detect the trap *at the end of the hallway* 60 feet away - why? Because the rules say so - the rogue gets to detect prior to the trap being allowed to trigger - always - the detect is perception and can *NOT* set off the trap.

    And what can the rogue do if they detect the trap? They can disable it - by the rules always - there way traps work in Pathfinder is that there is no way to build a trap that the rogue can't disable. The rules work like that - pretty much end of it - anything else and you are using a homebrew. While I agree personally that Pathfinder traps suck and aren't worth using except as free XP - what is clear to me the last time this topic was discussed was that overwhelmingly players think a GM is a jerk if they use traps in any other way.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Morain wrote:

    I'm not sure how else to get the message across that I'm not interested in seeing more AP's with a big influence of technology/sci-fi.

    So I guess the only way is voting with my wallet. I hope others do the same so we get as little as possible of this sort of thing in the future. It will be interesting to see how popular something like this is going to be.

    To everyone looking forward to this, please don't take offense. I hope you have fun with it.

    I'm going to go out on a limb here - and guess that the votes were overwhelmingly positive.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    The most important question for this thread is do we name the brown mold 'Joe'?

    I think it's self evident - no other name is acceptable.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Coffee Demon wrote:

    Thanks, that's very helpful!

    I agree that a 'real' wilderness is somewhat random. Sounds worth checking out!

    NP - As they convert stuff over I've noticed much more thought that has gone into how it fits into the 'world' of the lost lands and I believe it's been affecting the adventure design.

    I will say a good followup to Barakus is 'Cults of the Sundered Kingdom' - and between the two products you could have a campaign that goes from level 1 to level 13-14ish on the slow XP track that is pretty damn awesome. Cults is written more 'ap style' without as large of a level range with solid plots/motivation and thought in every adventure and a nice meta plot that ties it all together - in starts around level 5 in the Barakus area which is around where you'd be wrapping up adventures from the book.

    Sword of Air is another fantastic book - however it's like a campaign overlay though - as it has 'stuff' that happens at different level ranges and isn't meant to fill in all the gaps - it does however go to a higher level and is suitable to use on top of almost anything else you are doing (with work to move locations/etc. if you are running outside the lost lands).

    1 to 50 of 950 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

    ©2002–2016 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.