|1 person marked this as a favorite.|
While I'm working on the crunch, here's a bit of the background for Vladymir Andachi Tamriv. I'm using the 10 minute background format at the moment, but will try to tie it all together in the end...
Five background and concept elements important to Vladymir.
1) His pregnant mother arrived late at night in Marian Leigh claiming to have been kidnapped by vampire who held her in a fortress upriver. After giving birth to unwanted Dhampir child, she left him in the custody of a local temple of Irori along with a signet ring the vampire had given her as a ‘betrothal’ gift. Monks give the boy the name Vladymir and instill in him the sense of knowledge being power.
2) Signet ring belonged to branch of Count Andachi’s family who resided in Tamrivena and whose last male descendant disappeared in the mountains near Gallowspire. Vladymir bears a striking resemblance to that descendant. Divination magics confirm the relationship, and Vladymir takes the Andachi name as well as the name of the County seat as an intended honor.
3) Other children at the temple, both because of his inhuman nature and his perceived connection to the failed ruler, take every opportunity to bully and belittle Vladymir. This just spurs his quest for knowledge even more as he is able to make practical use of what he knows about the other children to keep himself from serious harm and even fight back by turning intended tricks and attacks back on the attackers.
4) Vladymir’s quest for gathering knowledge has a tendency to take on something of a single-minded focus and he truly has to focus in order to keep himself from attempting to become a Jack-of-all-Trades as he learns a little of this and a little of that.
5) Vladymir spent a short time at the University of Lepidstadt but he still felt an outsider as both the faculty and other students treated him similarly to how the children at the temple had. Also, as he felt no particular reason to take up fencing just to gain a scar, he became even more ostracized by his classmates. One class he did find fascinating however was on the powers of the mind and how they would be useful in the real world. He excelled at that class and continued exploring that line of though even after he left at the end of the year.