Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Paladin of Iomedae

Archpaladin Zousha's page

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber. Pathfinder Society Member. 1,380 posts (1,735 including aliases). No reviews. No lists. No wishlists. 5 aliases.


RSS

1 to 50 of 1,380 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

IS there a good way for someone to stay true to their culture while adopting an outlander faith?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
xavier c wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
xavier c wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Tels wrote:

James, are there any other superheroes you would like to see undergo a similar gender change?

If you had to do a gender change of a major character in Golarion, who would it be and why?

Who would you be the least willing to change? Why?

I'd not mind seeing pretty much ALL the superheroes do a gender change, and make a world where the vast majority of superheroes are women and the superheroes who are men were mostly regulated to sidkick or eye-candy or marginalized status.

As for Golarion? I'd probably pick Aroden to gender chagne, because he's one of the core elements of the setting.

I'd be least willing to change pretty much any of the women characters to men, since despite our pretty progressive steps toward gender equality, we're still not quite there yet.

So you want to marginalize men and boys? Is that what gender equality is?

Ohhhhhh no. Don't. That's NOT how it works at all. Feminism is not about marginalizing men and boys, regardless of what the male supremacy movement will tell you. I believed that too once. NEVER again. Gender equality is gender equality is gender equality. Paizo's policy as far as I've observed is that NO ONE is to be marginalized at all!

I hope to Iomedae you're joking here. This has been a sore subject for me ever since I made an ass of myself on these very forums back when I believed that stuff. I was so very, very wrong about everything.

James, did any pre-Worldwound Sarkorians include Iomedae in their local pantheons? Or is she regarded more as a "foreigner god" brought by the southern crusaders that's prejudiced against the Sarkorian way of life. Every time I look at this question I keep coming back to Iomedae as the best candidate (she IS the paladin goddess after all) but I struggle to figure out how a character could stay true to his Sarkorian heritage worshiping Iomedae when her crusaders in Mendev seem to regard the

...

Sorry. When words like gender equality and marginalization get tossed around, arguments and counterarguments about feminism aren't far behind, and as I said, it's something I still feel ashamed about after that stupid "Cultural Marxism" thread I started.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
xavier c wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Tels wrote:

James, are there any other superheroes you would like to see undergo a similar gender change?

If you had to do a gender change of a major character in Golarion, who would it be and why?

Who would you be the least willing to change? Why?

I'd not mind seeing pretty much ALL the superheroes do a gender change, and make a world where the vast majority of superheroes are women and the superheroes who are men were mostly regulated to sidkick or eye-candy or marginalized status.

As for Golarion? I'd probably pick Aroden to gender chagne, because he's one of the core elements of the setting.

I'd be least willing to change pretty much any of the women characters to men, since despite our pretty progressive steps toward gender equality, we're still not quite there yet.

So you want to marginalize men and boys? Is that what gender equality is?

Ohhhhhh no. Don't. That's NOT how it works at all. Feminism is not about marginalizing men and boys, regardless of what the male supremacy movement will tell you. I believed that too once. NEVER again. Gender equality is gender equality is gender equality. Paizo's policy as far as I've observed is that NO ONE is to be marginalized at all!

I hope to Iomedae you're joking here. This has been a sore subject for me ever since I made an ass of myself on these very forums back when I believed that stuff. I was so very, very wrong about everything.

James, did any pre-Worldwound Sarkorians include Iomedae in their local pantheons? Or is she regarded more as a "foreigner god" brought by the southern crusaders that's prejudiced against the Sarkorian way of life. Every time I look at this question I keep coming back to Iomedae as the best candidate (she IS the paladin goddess after all) but I struggle to figure out how a character could stay true to his Sarkorian heritage worshiping Iomedae when her crusaders in Mendev seem to regard the Sarkorians as demon-touched collaborators at worst and at best deluded fools who let the disaster happen right under their noses.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Fromper wrote:

So I checked Inner Sea Gods, and nothing jumped out at me. Who's the patron deity of foodies? Not gluttony, just appreciation of fine dining, much the way Cayden Cailean is the god of alcohol, but not drunkenness.

Technically according to Catholicism, where the seven deadly sins originated, gluttony wasn't simply overeating, but also enjoying food too much, eating something really expensive when others are starving and anticipating meals too readily. The idea is that the sin isn't about quantity, but about caring more about your food than about God and your fellow man. Just appreciation of fine dining falls under the old school definition of gluttony, which puts it in Urgathoa's purview. There are some of her followers who hide among the nobility as chefs extraordinaire, not consuming feasts themselves, but acting as enablers to others to guide them down her path.

Also, generally speaking, Pathfinder's mores consider gluttony of any kind to be bad. One of the worst demon types, the nabassu, is born from the souls of gluttons, it's often used to illustrate the decadence of upper class NPCs (like in Council of Thieves' cornucopia) and it's something that even without Urgathoa's connection is still commonly associated with various kinds of undead.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Odraude wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What would a pantheist paladin act like?
Like a lawful good champion of law and good. Beyond that... it depends entirely on the nature of the paladin's pantheon. And no, I'm not interested in designing vows for every possible pantheon combination... ;-)
You might be thinking about polytheist. Pantheist just means you believe that everything in the universe is part of a single all-encompassing, immanent God. And this singular God isn't a personal or humanized God like, say, the Christian god. So it'd really be one vow. Though still be a hard one to figure out.

Faiths and Philosophies refers to it as Pantheism, along with the Pantheistic Blessing feat. This was something the forums discussed for a while after the book came out. I used Pantheist because that was the character stuff described in the book.

By the way, James, how would a person descended from Sarkorian refugees living in Mendev grow up without getting purged by someone like Hulrun? And speaking of Hulrun, I understand that...
** spoiler omitted **
That's part of why I get so agitated and paranoid about canon and stuff. When I want to develop an arc or plot off something, and then the next book comes out and says "He dies in this one," it throws me off the rails, or when a book mentions something going on that we've already dramatically altered through play (The recent books about Numeria and such talking about Pitax and Irovetti as if they're still around when Kingmaker has the PCs trash them as part of their rise to power).

And that's why we don't hardcode ANY of the events in our products to a timeline. He only dies in Golarion when you run that adventure... and even then only if you the GM let it happen. Until you run the adventure... he's fine.

And likewise... the events in Kingmaker are not assumed to have happened at all, which is why you see us talking about Pitax and the like.

We...

Then why do timelines in campaign setting books and events in APs reference things that apparently happened in PFS or the novels, like the Ruby Prince getting a wasting disease and blaming the Pathfinders for it referenced in the Osirion book, or Varian Jeggare and Radovan's recovery of the Paradox Lexicon in King of Chaos being essential to the plot of Wrath of the Righteous? It feels like I have to BUY ALL THE THINGS if I want to get the full, complex interconnected web of Golarion, and that I'll never be fully caught up.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

154. Because you are DUNGEONPROOOOOOF! WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Odraude wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What would a pantheist paladin act like?
Like a lawful good champion of law and good. Beyond that... it depends entirely on the nature of the paladin's pantheon. And no, I'm not interested in designing vows for every possible pantheon combination... ;-)
You might be thinking about polytheist. Pantheist just means you believe that everything in the universe is part of a single all-encompassing, immanent God. And this singular God isn't a personal or humanized God like, say, the Christian god. So it'd really be one vow. Though still be a hard one to figure out.

Faiths and Philosophies refers to it as Pantheism, along with the Pantheistic Blessing feat. This was something the forums discussed for a while after the book came out. I used Pantheist because that was the character stuff described in the book.

By the way, James, how would a person descended from Sarkorian refugees living in Mendev grow up without getting purged by someone like Hulrun? And speaking of Hulrun, I understand that...

WOTR SPOILER:
...his death and being used as a puppet by a vermelek in The Worldwound Incursion is to heighten the dramatic stakes and give room for Irabeth and the PCs to emerge as leaders from the crisis, but it feels like it sort of cheapens Hulrun's impact to the players, who, unless they're Golarion afficionados already, have probably not heard of him before playing Wrath of the Righteous. Even if it's mentioned in passing that he's Kenabres' leader and most infamous inquisitor, known for his harsh purges and stuff in recent years, I feel this is something that should be SHOWN to the PCs rather than TOLD, otherwise all the ink spilled about him already feels wasted.

That's part of why I get so agitated and paranoid about canon and stuff. When I want to develop an arc or plot off something, and then the next book comes out and says "He dies in this one," it throws me off the rails, or when a book mentions something going on that we've already dramatically altered through play (The recent books about Numeria and such talking about Pitax and Irovetti as if they're still around when Kingmaker has the PCs trash them as part of their rise to power).

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What would a pantheist paladin act like?
Like a lawful good champion of law and good. Beyond that... it depends entirely on the nature of the paladin's pantheon. And no, I'm not interested in designing vows for every possible pantheon combination... ;-)

I figured they'd just combine the codes of the deities in the pantheon, observing all of them when necessary.

I know every clan in Sarkoris had their own unique pantheon, but which are the most common gods (in addition to Iomedae of course) that are venerated in Mendev? I'm thinking of a sort of "Mendevian Pantheist" character who venerates the gods that are most active in fighting the Worldwound as they're the gods who'll help him get revenge for his people and fallen Sarkoris.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

What would a pantheist paladin act like?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

What's a good way to sort of get into a character mindset that you're not used to?

For example, I like playing paladins and other LG types because that gels most with my own personality (or at least I like to think it does), but I feel like because of this my characters tend to basically be the same person with different race/class combos.

What would be a way to learn how to think like a NG, CG, or even some other Neutral character? The books like Champions of Balance and whatnot certainly lend valuable insights, but even with that kind of advice I find myself gravitating to LG characters.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Are Numerian Kellids culturally distinct from Realm of the Mammoth Lord Kellids? Kellids were given an "ethnicity write-up" for lack of a better term in People of the North, but the Kellids described in Numeria, Land of Fallen Stars, Lost Empires of Golarion, and People of the River all feel very different.

It sometimes feels like Kellid is a catch-all category for "Any barbarians who aren't specifically the Shoanti or the Ulfen."

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

I feel like there's more Golarion than I'll ever get to play in in a lifetime. How do I shake that feeling of being overwhelmed?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

What deity does Terendelev, the silver dragon in Kenabres, venerate, if any at all? Apsu, because she's a metallic dragon? Iomedae, as she's the patron deity of Mendev and the Crusades? Wondering what deity a crusader who admired Terendelev and wanted to emulate silver dragons would pick...

** spoiler omitted **
Terendelev doesn't really worship a deity much at all; she's not that religious. She respects Iomedae and Apsu and Torag, but not enough to carry holy symbols or pray much at all. A crusader who admires Terendelev and wants to emulate silver dragons would most likely worship Apsu.
Given the rarity of Apsu's faith, was he known in Sarkoris AT ALL?
He was no less or no more commonly known in Sarkoris than anywhere else, so absolutely he'd be known there. And he's "rare" only among humanoids. Most dragons, if not ALL dragons know about him. So if a region has dragons, it has Apsu. And Dahak, by extension.

So if the guy grew up in Kenabres, regardless of whether he's of Kellid blood or Taldan, he'd probably have heard of Apsu since Terendelev is one of the city's most famous residents?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

What deity does Terendelev, the silver dragon in Kenabres, venerate, if any at all? Apsu, because she's a metallic dragon? Iomedae, as she's the patron deity of Mendev and the Crusades? Wondering what deity a crusader who admired Terendelev and wanted to emulate silver dragons would pick...

** spoiler omitted **
Terendelev doesn't really worship a deity much at all; she's not that religious. She respects Iomedae and Apsu and Torag, but not enough to carry holy symbols or pray much at all. A crusader who admires Terendelev and wants to emulate silver dragons would most likely worship Apsu.

Given the rarity of Apsu's faith, was he known in Sarkoris AT ALL?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

What deity does Terendelev, the silver dragon in Kenabres, venerate, if any at all? Apsu, because she's a metallic dragon? Iomedae, as she's the patron deity of Mendev and the Crusades? Wondering what deity a crusader who admired Terendelev and wanted to emulate silver dragons would pick...

Spoiler:
...and who takes her death in the opening of Wrath of the Righteous hard and dedicates his crusading to her memory.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
lucky7 wrote:
"The password is swordfish."

Horse Feathers! I love that movie!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
Lord Gadigan wrote:

Ileosa gets my vote for best BBEG.

** CotCT spoiler omitted **

Man, I really friggin' want them to do an Anniversary Edition of that after reading your summary. I would love to run that for my group.

Seconded.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

What is a baryton?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

I'm starting to wonder if I'm insane. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, and I keep asking you the same kinds of questions over and over and expect different answers. Am I insane, James?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

Does a character who's a member of a particular organization NEED to have levels in the Prestige Class associated with it, or can they get away with it through roleplay, like, say, a cleric of Iomedae who wants to be a Knight of Ozem but doesn't take levels in the actual Knight of Ozem prestige class because they don't want to lose spellcasting progression, or a Pathfinder that doesn't take levels in the Pathfinder Chronicler, Delver, Field Agent or Savant prestige classes because they're interested in a different prestige class like Arcane Archer or something?

It just feels to me like the minute an organization gets an official Prestige Class for it, you can't be a REAL member of that organization in-game without taking levels in it, that without the Prestige Class to PROVE you're in the organization, all you have is your say-so, and that negates the idea that it takes effort to join these organizations.

Nope. There are plenty of hellknights or red mantises, for example, who don't have the prestige class.
Mark Seifter gave me the same answer...what.
You do realize that spamming our "ask us" threads with the same question is a great way to cause confusion and discord, yes? Might be best to limit questions to single folks.

I was looking for multiple opinions on the subject to see whether or not there was a consensus that such a character is "kosher." I never go ahead with potential Pathfinder characters anymore until I ask you guys pressing questions related to it to ensure the character concept fits your canon as closely as possible.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Orthos wrote:
He copy-pasted it from JJ's thread.

...Why? I asked multiple people because I wanted multiple opinions.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Mark Seifter wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

Does a character who's a member of a particular organization NEED to have levels in the Prestige Class associated with it, or can they get away with it through roleplay, like, say, a cleric of Iomedae who wants to be a Knight of Ozem but doesn't take levels in the actual Knight of Ozem prestige class because they don't want to lose spellcasting progression, or a Pathfinder that doesn't take levels in the Pathfinder Chronicler, Delver, Field Agent or Savant prestige classes because they're interested in a different prestige class like Arcane Archer or something?

It just feels to me like the minute an organization gets an official Prestige Class for it, you can't be a REAL member of that organization in-game without taking levels in it, that without the Prestige Class to PROVE you're in the organization, all you have is your say-so, and that negates the idea that it takes effort to join these organizations.

Nope. There are plenty of hellknights or red mantises, for example, who don't have the prestige class.

James Jacobs gave me the same answer...what.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

Does a character who's a member of a particular organization NEED to have levels in the Prestige Class associated with it, or can they get away with it through roleplay, like, say, a cleric of Iomedae who wants to be a Knight of Ozem but doesn't take levels in the actual Knight of Ozem prestige class because they don't want to lose spellcasting progression, or a Pathfinder that doesn't take levels in the Pathfinder Chronicler, Delver, Field Agent or Savant prestige classes because they're interested in a different prestige class like Arcane Archer or something?

It just feels to me like the minute an organization gets an official Prestige Class for it, you can't be a REAL member of that organization in-game without taking levels in it, that without the Prestige Class to PROVE you're in the organization, all you have is your say-so, and that negates the idea that it takes effort to join these organizations.

Nope. There are plenty of hellknights or red mantises, for example, who don't have the prestige class.

Mark Seifter gave me the same answer...what.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Does a character who's a member of a particular organization NEED to have levels in the Prestige Class associated with it, or can they get away with it through roleplay, like, say, a cleric of Iomedae who wants to be a Knight of Ozem but doesn't take levels in the actual Knight of Ozem prestige class because they don't want to lose spellcasting progression, or a Pathfinder that doesn't take levels in the Pathfinder Chronicler, Delver, Field Agent or Savant prestige classes because they're interested in a different prestige class like Arcane Archer or something?

It just feels to me like the minute an organization gets an official Prestige Class for it, you can't be a REAL member of that organization in-game without taking levels in it, that without the Prestige Class to PROVE you're in the organization, all you have is your say-so, and that negates the idea that it takes effort to join these organizations.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Does a character who's a member of a particular organization NEED to have levels in the Prestige Class associated with it, or can they get away with it through roleplay, like, say, a cleric of Iomedae who wants to be a Knight of Ozem but doesn't take levels in the actual Knight of Ozem prestige class because they don't want to lose spellcasting progression, or a Pathfinder that doesn't take levels in the Pathfinder Chronicler, Delver, Field Agent or Savant prestige classes because they're interested in a different prestige class like Arcane Archer or something?

It just feels to me like the minute an organization gets an official Prestige Class for it, you can't be a REAL member of that organization in-game without taking levels in it, that without the Prestige Class to PROVE you're in the organization, all you have is your say-so, and that negates the idea that it takes effort to join these organizations.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Does a character who's a member of a particular organization NEED to have levels in the Prestige Class associated with it, or can they get away with it through roleplay, like, say, a cleric of Iomedae who wants to be a Knight of Ozem but doesn't take levels in the actual Knight of Ozem prestige class because they don't want to lose spellcasting progression, or a Pathfinder that doesn't take levels in the Pathfinder Chronicler, Delver, Field Agent or Savant prestige classes because they're interested in a different prestige class like Arcane Archer or something?

It just feels to me like the minute an organization gets an official Prestige Class for it, you can't be a REAL member of that organization in-game without taking levels in it, that without the Prestige Class to PROVE you're in the organization, all you have is your say-so, and that negates the idea that it takes effort to join these organizations.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Does a character who's a member of a particular organization NEED to have levels in the Prestige Class associated with it, or can they get away with it through roleplay, like, say, a cleric of Iomedae who wants to be a Knight of Ozem but doesn't take levels in the actual Knight of Ozem prestige class because they don't want to lose spellcasting progression, or a Pathfinder that doesn't take levels in the Pathfinder Chronicler, Delver, Field Agent or Savant prestige classes because they're interested in a different prestige class like Arcane Archer or something?

It just feels to me like the minute an organization gets an official Prestige Class for it, you can't be a REAL member of that organization in-game without taking levels in it, that without the Prestige Class to PROVE you're in the organization, all you have is your say-so, and that negates the idea that it takes effort to join these organizations.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Does a character who's a member of a particular organization NEED to have levels in the Prestige Class associated with it, or can they get away with it through roleplay, like, say, a cleric of Iomedae who wants to be a Knight of Ozem but doesn't take levels in the actual Knight of Ozem prestige class because they don't want to lose spellcasting progression, or a Pathfinder that doesn't take levels in the Pathfinder Chronicler, Delver, Field Agent or Savant prestige classes because they're interested in a different prestige class like Arcane Archer or something?

It just feels to me like the minute an organization gets an official Prestige Class for it, you can't be a REAL member of that organization in-game without taking levels in it, that without the Prestige Class to PROVE you're in the organization, all you have is your say-so, and that negates the idea that it takes effort to join these organizations.

Silver Crusade

Is anybody still interested in this? I've been waiting on Jezebelle's reply and it's been about a week I think.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Awww, turn into a dinosauuuuurrrr... :(

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Turn into a dinosaur!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Can't wait! Willow was one of my favorite movies. :)

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

TURN INTO A DINOSAUR! Turn into a dinosaur?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

"HOME CITY NAME!"

"MERCENARY COMPANY NAME!"

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

"That's why I'm sitting here with you. Because you remind me of you. Your eyes, your throat, your lips. Everything about you reminds me of you. Except you. How do you account for that? If she figures that one out, she's good."

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

What are the kinds of questions that you're best equipped to answer (like how James Jacob's the best person to ask about Varisia, Demons, Brevoy and stuff, and F. Wesley Schneider's the best person to ask about Ustalav, Devils, etc.)?

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

61. "I am the MOON!" "He is the moon."

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

I am intrigued. I've always had a soft spot for kobolds since Deekin Scalesinger charmed me in Neverwinter Nights.

"Kobolds are the only race capable of winning a fight solely through determination, their own sense of self-importance, and adorable pluck."

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

I can't decide between playing The Witcher games in preparation for Wild Hunt or the Dragon Age games in preparation for Inquisition! Any opinions in that regard?

If drow now revere demons in general in Golarion, as opposed to Lolth like in Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms, why do they still become driders and gain spider components, since spiders no longer hold the same cultural significance as they did in previous settings? I can see Mammez cultists appreciating the spider stuff, but it seems that there's still something that connects drow and spiders, as it sounds like fleshwarping drow ALWAYS results in them taking on spidery attributes and becoming driders. Correct me if I'm wrong in that regard, please.

Why do people opposed to societal change seem to believe that instead of just wanting their rights, minorities want revenge for their mistreatment by the majority's hands?

I fully intend to play both. I'm looking forward to Dragon Age more; I like the gameplay and story in Dragon Age more, and Dragon Age is a lot less backwards when it comes to diversity, so it's the one that wins out in the end... but still. Both will be played.

(Lolth is a demon, by the way. At least, she was originally!) Mazzmez cultists are still very much into spiders, though, and are there to scratch that itch.

Because they fear losing their power.

I'm aware Lolth was a demon, and that's cool.

I was more speaking about drow who DON'T venerate Mazzmez who get fleshwarped. Wouldn't their punishment forms be different to properly reflect their own master's displeasure, like tentacles for Abraxas, or rotting fungus for Cyth V'sug? Why is it ALWAYS spider transformation 100% of the time?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

I can't decide between playing The Witcher games in preparation for Wild Hunt or the Dragon Age games in preparation for Inquisition! Any opinions in that regard?

If drow now revere demons in general in Golarion, as opposed to Lolth like in Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms, why do they still become driders and gain spider components, since spiders no longer hold the same cultural significance as they did in previous settings? I can see Mammez cultists appreciating the spider stuff, but it seems that there's still something that connects drow and spiders, as it sounds like fleshwarping drow ALWAYS results in them taking on spidery attributes and becoming driders. Correct me if I'm wrong in that regard, please.

Why do people opposed to societal change seem to believe that instead of just wanting their rights, minorities want revenge for their mistreatment by the majority's hands?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

Wait, if Perform (oratory) is acting, then what purpose does Perform (act) have?

The general vibe I'm getting is that the Shoanti don't really trust anyone but each other, and even among the Shoanti themselves there's trust issues. Would that be an accurate assessment of the Shoanti mindset?

Would this be close to what a Shoanti might look like?

What, in your opinion, would be a more disturbing "final enemy" for an AP or something: a "final boss" that constantly laughs hysterically throughout the fight, or one that constantly screams incoherently throughout the fight? In both scenarios, the enemy doesn't make speeches or bluffs or something, and does fight tactically, but while constantly laughing/screaming.

Perform (act) is when you play a role not your own. It's what actors do when they play a role.

Perform (oratory) is when you play yourself. It's what politicians do when they debate.

Shoanti are pretty insular, yes. They've got thousands of years of external groups, from Thassilon to Cheliax, being jerks to them to give them plenty of reasons to be wary.

It depends on the location. A constant laugher is, for example, creepier in an asylum than it is in a circus. Also, it depends on WHAT the boss is. A laughing mummy is creepy in ways that a laughing nymph is not.

Wow. That was quick. Thanks! :)

Have you any opinion on The Witcher series of video games, especially given Wild Hunt, the trilogy's grand finale, is on the way?

What's your favorite non-dinosaur animal?

Do you think the Age of Lost Omens will end at some point, or is it essentially going to go on forever, since with prophecy no longer working, the future is constantly in flux?

When you play bards, what's your favorite perform skill to have them use? Do you think lutes are overused as bardic instruments?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Would you say you're more of a "means to an end" kind of person or do you feel you shouldn't compromise your principles for a goal?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

What, in your mind, separates an inspiring speech sort of thing as something handled by Diplomacy, something handled by Perform (oratory) and just something the player does?

More specifically, they're making an inspiring speech for the heck of it, or to look dramatic before they do something, rather than hoping to achieve an actual mechanical advantage.

I ask because you generally only have so many skill points to use, unless you're a bard or rogue, in which case this is a non-issue. But what about other classes, particularly those that don't get Perform as a class skill?

And on an unrelated note, how do the different Shoanti Quahs view "half-breed" types like half-elves and the like? I know half-orcs are generally killed at birth, especially among the Sklar-Quah, as the orcs of Belkzen are among their mortal enemies, but how do they feel about relationships with elves? About aasimars and tieflings? Or even just relationships with tshamek humans?

Perform skills, with the exception of how they're used for bardic performances, are generally in the same category as Craft and Profession—they're skills you use to make money. Perform (oratory) is acting. Diplomacy is the skill you use to actually have real applications toward influencing others. In almost every case, you'll want to use Diplomacy for this type of thing.

The Shoanti Quahs tend to view half elves with some levels of suspicion and mistrust, but no more so than they apply to humans of other ethnicities or elves. To the Shoanti, half-elves are no different than those others. Half-orcs they generally view with hatred and disgust unless the half-orc does a LOT to prove them otherwise. Aasimars are often regarded as frightening agents of the gods and are treated with fearful respect, and tieflings as dangerous agents of the fiends and are treated with respectful fear. And of course... on an individual level anything is possible.

Wait, if Perform (oratory) is acting, then what purpose does Perform (act) have?

The general vibe I'm getting is that the Shoanti don't really trust anyone but each other, and even among the Shoanti themselves there's trust issues. Would that be an accurate assessment of the Shoanti mindset?

Would this be close to what a Shoanti might look like?

What, in your opinion, would be a more disturbing "final enemy" for an AP or something: a "final boss" that constantly laughs hysterically throughout the fight, or one that constantly screams incoherently throughout the fight? In both scenarios, the enemy doesn't make speeches or bluffs or something, and does fight tactically, but while constantly laughing/screaming.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

What, in your mind, separates an inspiring speech sort of thing as something handled by Diplomacy, something handled by Perform (oratory) and just something the player does?

More specifically, they're making an inspiring speech for the heck of it, or to look dramatic before they do something, rather than hoping to achieve an actual mechanical advantage.

I ask because you generally only have so many skill points to use, unless you're a bard or rogue, in which case this is a non-issue. But what about other classes, particularly those that don't get Perform as a class skill?

And on an unrelated note, how do the different Shoanti Quahs view "half-breed" types like half-elves and the like? I know half-orcs are generally killed at birth, especially among the Sklar-Quah, as the orcs of Belkzen are among their mortal enemies, but how do they feel about relationships with elves? About aasimars and tieflings? Or even just relationships with tshamek humans?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
The quest for the King Arthur PC is a good one... but it's one that's been going on for a while. It would likely be better served becoming its own thread over in the advice boards, perhaps? ;-)

Duly noted. I will do so. And sorry for pestering you with this. :(

And now that I've got that out of my system, what makes the Lyrune-Quah (Moon Clan) your favorite Shoanti tribe for PCs?

I don't know if this is merely something that happened over time, but it seems that when Nirmathas and Molthune are mentioned, Nirmathas is generally depicted in the more favorable light, because they're the defenders in the war, because they're sort of the "freedom" nation, abhorring the slavery that Molthune willingly practices, and because they aren't as petty (the only reason they hate the Pathfinders is because they opened a lodge in Nirmathas). Does Molthune and her people have ANY redeeming qualities? Or are they pretty much meant to act as antagonists for adventures?

Is it just me, or do the Aldori Swordlords' grievances against Issia seem somewhat petty too? It seems like the main complaint Aldori Swordlords have against their northerly neighbors is that they're "arrogant" (pot calling kettle much?).

I know paladins can't venerate Desna, given her Chaotic nature, but how does SHE view paladins?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Rats. Why is it that all the deities with the most "Celtic" trappings (Pulura, who's described as a powerful faith in Sarkoris, the most Celtic nation according to you; Tolc, an explicitly northerly being, Sarkoris being a northern nation; Cernunnos, Ogma, Connla, all taken from actual Celtic mythology) are all chaotic?
Because of the consonance between the words "Celtic" and "Chaotic."
So it's pretty much a given that a Sarkorian Kellid who is a paladin HAS to worship a "foreign" or "crusader" deity like Iomedae, Ragathiel or Sarenrae?

Not at all.

Sarkoris is NOT a Celtic nation. It's merely the region that most closely approximates those traditions. Golarion doesn't have a region like you're so desperate to find in the same way it has an analog for Egypt.

"Lost Kingdoms" is your best source for information about Sarkoris. It's got just over a page and a half of information about Sarkorian religion; there's a LOT there for paladins to worship, not all of it deities. That said... the themes and nature of Sarkoris are NOT all that appropriate for a paladin, frankly... any more so than it's appropriate for a paladin to come from the Realm of the Mammoth Lords or Irrisen or the Linnorm Kingdoms. It is certainly possible, yeah... but a paladin will be a fish out of water there.

I'm really desperate to find a way to represent the King Arthur of pseudo-history and Celtic myth. I find that version much more compelling than the traditional Knight In Shining Armor version that we get from Malory (and that Golarion has PLENTY of, both in Mendev and Lastwall). There's only so many ways you can play that before it gets boring, and it's pretty much the way almost EVERYONE pictures paladins already!

Ross Byers wrote:
How about about Erastil? He's easy to portray as the father or elder brother of Cernunnos.

That was one of my FIRST places to look, but Erastil's values and style are inherently NOT like King Arthur. Erastil's pride lies in commoners and village reeves, not in kings and their warriors. It explicitly states in his article in Pathfinder 32 that he finds people whose entire career revolves around fighting dangerous. "Quests? Courtly love? Pshaw! Old Lady Niska needs her roof repaired, Farmer Mick's cow is calving, and there's goblins sneaking winter supplies out of the granary! Get your damn head out of the clouds and get to work!" Plus, his favored weapon is the longbow. When a paladin of Erastil picks up the Radiance weapon in The Worldwound Incursion, it will automatically morph into a longbow, which is not what I want. I like swords.

I just, I...really, really have King-Arthur-mania on the brain, and I feel like going with a Mendevian or Lastwall Iomedae worshiping paladin feels to...generic. Is too instantly recognizable. It's bad roleplaying form to copy an existing fictional character so obviously and blatantly that it derails everything. I don't want to be a bad roleplayer.

What do I do?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Rats. Why is it that all the deities with the most "Celtic" trappings (Pulura, who's described as a powerful faith in Sarkoris, the most Celtic nation according to you; Tolc, an explicitly northerly being, Sarkoris being a northern nation; Cernunnos, Ogma, Connla, all taken from actual Celtic mythology) are all chaotic?
Because of the consonance between the words "Celtic" and "Chaotic."

So it's pretty much a given that a Sarkorian Kellid who is a paladin HAS to worship a "foreign" or "crusader" deity like Iomedae, Ragathiel or Sarenrae?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Rats. Why is it that all the deities with the most "Celtic" trappings (Pulura, who's described as a powerful faith in Sarkoris, the most Celtic nation according to you; Tolc, an explicitly northerly being, Sarkoris being a northern nation; Cernunnos, Ogma, Connla, all taken from actual Celtic mythology) are all chaotic?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

James, how common are dairies in Golarion? XD

And on a more serious note, which Shoanti Quah is your favorite?

What are the sword-making capitals of Golarion, the Toledos or Solingens? What locations are reputed for producing superior swords? I know dwarves are great smiths, but they're not really fans of swords.

Can paladins with the Pantheistic Blessing feat (I believe you mentioned paladins are allowed to access this feat) venerating the Empyreal Lords honor CG Empyreal Lords like Cernunnos or Pulura?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

I think I'll bow out here. Work's been killer lately and I haven't a lot of time to sit down and fiddle with characters. Have fun!

1 to 50 of 1,380 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.