Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


The Dead, the Big, and the Evil

Friday, February 10, 2017

So we had half a foot of snow here, and the first official snow day that I can remember. But here at Paizo we like to say "neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom..." Anyway, this for this week's Crown of Fangs preview we start with the Fungal Guardian! This guy can be used as any type of skeleton you like, or even as an undead genie... He is a medium common figure in the set, and I love the mushrooms growing on him!

Next, we have the Red Reaver. Whenever you need an alien esque creature to throw a kink in your player's plans, this big baddy fits the bill. The Red Raven is a large uncommon miniature, and they like warm hugs.

Finally, we have the Rakshasa. I think this miniature looks spectacular, and is based off of one of my favorite pieces of art from the Curse of the Crimson Throne Hardcover. I like it so much it is my chat avatar and business card image. This figure could be used as a were tiger, a cat folk monk or spell caster, or a tiger headed demon. The rakshasa is a medium rare figure, and no, you should not try and pet him.

Until next week!

Michael Kenway
Director of Licensing

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Crown of Fangs Curse of the Crimson Throne Miniatures Pathfinder Adventure Path Pathfinder Battles
Shadow Lodge

5 people marked this as a favorite.

But I want to pet the kitty.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber
Quote:
Next, we have the Red Reaver. Whenever you need an alien esque creature to throw a kink in your player's plans, this big baddy fits the bill. The Red Raven is a large uncommon miniature, and they like warm hugs.

LOL. Freudian slip.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Skeleton and Rakshasa are great!

Shadow Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

If these make the transition from render to plastic with that detail all three are absolute winners. The fungal guardian is fantastic, love the detail and pose, and I agree the mushrooms are are great detail, perfect for the 5th part of strange aeons as well. Spot on for rarity too. I am biased though, scary fungal creatures and parasites are are favorite in my books.

I've said in the past that I see the Red Reaver as a necessary evil, due to its role in the AP, I wasn't particularly enamored with the idea of it asa mini in the set. That said the sculpt and detail have changed my mind. Nice Job. While I would have preferred him as a rare - how many Reavers do I need - I can see how the simple colour palette and detail make him a far better inclusion as an uncommon.

As for the Rakshasa, favorite looking one so far. Love the detail, the pose and that face, fantastic.

Hopefully they don't overpaint these and obscure the details like they tend to do in the Icons of the Realm line. The fungal guardian and the Rakshasa both would benefit form a thinner paint application that will let those little details shine through - the mushrooms, the taught skin, the nnarl on the Rakshasa, all of these need to shine.

Shaping up to be a great set.

Liberty's Edge

That is a sweet Rakshasa.

Dark Archive

I called all three.

1. The "Garden Guardian" from page 251 of the Bestiary or page 173 of the HC looks unspectacular. The spiked shield is missing and the hair is too full.
Still the rarity is spot on.

2. The "Red Reaver" looks to be massive, but the rarity is wrong with it being an uncommon, it should be a rare.
Also i would have prefered it to be on all four legs, but it still looks impressive and can be used as a fiendish Gorilla.

3. The "Rakshasa" looks spectacular. i´m glad it is based off the more battle-ready "Avidexu" version from page 176 of the HC.
The rarity was to be expected, even if it only is a CR 10 creature normally.

So far, every single one of the 14 revealed creature minis is taken from the CotCT hardcover, which makes me expect the other 30 will be too.
This is a step in the direction of older sets (2-4 & 6-7)like: "Rise of the Runelords", "Shattered Star", "Skull & Shackles", "Wrath of the Righteous" and "Reign of Winter", as to cover an entire AP.

My predictions:

10 unrevealed common minis:
-Spider (small)
-Necrophidius
-Sea Hag
-Eel (small)
-Urgathoa Cultist
-Half-Orc
-Wolverine
-Shoanti Archer
-Shadow
-Queen´s Physician

7 unrevealed uncommon medium minis:
-Marai Rakshasa
-Shoanti female with two starknives
-Human Executioner
-Manananggal
-Kyton (Chain Devil)
-?
-?

5 unrevealed uncommon large minis:
-Leukodaemon
-Belker
-Cytillipede
-Minotaur Skeleton
-Ash Giant

5 unrevealed rare medium minis:
-Rakshasa Female
-Thousand Bones
-Blackjack
-The Cinderlander
-?

3 unrevealed large rare minis:
-Horned Devil
-Belier Devil
-?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Class Deck, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Definitely need a physician. That was one I really felt was missing when I ran this. I made do with some substitute but would really liked to have shown them a creepy doctor.


Cat-thulhu expressed my thoughts already pretty much completely. I love the renders for the guardian and rakshasa, and just hope to high heaven that the actual minis look that good. Kind of hard to believe they will, though.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Wow, that Rakshasa! I hope we do see another in this set, as this one turned out so awesome. A female would be icing on the cake.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber Subscriber

Always nervous with tiger-based minis; the painted stripes are frequently much to wide and ruin the look. But if it's as good as the rendering...

Liberty's Edge

Hmm, this Rakshasa encouraged me to check my Bestiary.
Backward-bending fingers - neat. Learned something new.


Another good looking set.

Dark Archive

Steve Geddes wrote:
Definitely need a physician. That was one I really felt was missing when I ran this. I made do with some substitute but would really liked to have shown them a creepy doctor.

I agree absolutely, a mad scientist/creepy doctor is surely missing.

With book 2 being all about the plague, i think there must be a "physician" in this set.

I also forgot about the Ettercap in book 1 (because i have half a dozen from D&D) being a good candidate for a medium common.

Next wednesday the "Assault of the Giants" board game comes out.
It has 12 large giant minis (and 3 medium ones).
These are mostly the same sculpts as the huge ones in D&D Storm Kings Thunder (one is a new one).
Unfortunately there are no pictures of the painted versions yet (only videos of mediocre quality), but here are pics of the single-color versions:

AotG1

AotG2


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I think all three of these look great.

1. I really love the mushroom skeleton. I think it's been awhile since we've had a variant skeleton in the Pathfinder sets. Also, I love mushrooms.

2. Red Reaver is something I'll be using for the Curse of the Crimson Throne once we get to it. I'm glad you got it in here. At first thought, the rarity does seem off. But tip of the hat to Marco for bringing up Fiendish Gorillas. I was staring at the enlarged picture for half of my dinner trying to figure of which creature it reminded me. I definitely see some Gorilla. Either way, it looks nice and thick, which I appreciate. It's also the type of creature that looks like it would make great pets.

3. As for that Rakshasa, I think it could be one of the best looking miniatures Pathfinder has ever done. As others have said, I think it all comes down to the execution. But the digital look here shows great promise.

I think the rarities are perfect for what they are, and what they can be. I know Marco mentioned the lack of shield on the mushroom skeleton compared to its illustration. I have to think that adding the shield and expecting a decent paint job for the whole piece might have required an uncommon slot. The mushroom skeleton looks sort of busy on top as it is, so more steps might have been prohibitive as a common. And as this is a variant skeleton with mushrooms all over, I'd rather those be the details to get the attention.

I think the opposite is probably true with the Red Reaver, yes? My guess is it could very well have been pushed to the rare slot, but that it really doesn't require extra steps to achieve the look. So it made more sense to toss it in the Uncommon slot and save that Rare slot for something that needed it.

And that something could have potentially been the Rakshasa. As others have pointed out, tiger minis can turn out poorly sometimes. And this creature has so much going on that I think it's great it'll see the most attention out of the three main rarity types. After doing a Monster Menagerie 2 set review, I find that it aggravates me more than ever when rare pieces turn out horrible.

So again, I think you and Erik did a masterful job and selecting the level of rarities for these three.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

While I'll be using the Rakshasa in both the AP and in my campaign as a Rakshasa, I'll also be using it as my de-facto Weretiger. Provided it turns out beautiful, of course.

Erik had hinted a set or so ago that he'd forgotten all about the Were-Creatures. His hope was to work more of them into the sets. I hope we'll see a true were-creature in this set or the next. They're really fun to put in my campaigns. After the more common villains like basic undead, giants and ogres, were-creatures probably excite my groups the most.

And speaking of the mushrooms and such, more plant-based anything would be great. But I would especially appreciate the actual Plant-type creatures. It's one of the most underrepresented mini in both Pathfinder and D&D. I'm not sure we've got any creatures purely of the Plant-type in Pathfinder miniature form, do we? On top of that, a quick jaunt through the Bestiaries, especially the second and third one, will show that Plant types have some amazing illustrations.

I ask for Fey creatures after pretty much every reveal. So I won't here. But just know I'm thinking about it....

I'd love to see Pathfinder throw another swarm into their sets. They started off doing one in nearly every set, but it's been awhile since I've seen one. This company definitely has some unique but interesting swarms that would make for a great minis. My players hate swarms, so naturally I'm a fan.

I like that you're basically doing a Curse of the Crimson Throne set w/o actually calling it that. It sort of gives you that room to add in a few pieces that aren't in the book, but that you really want to see in plastic form.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

Personally, I'd love to see the mooncursed barbarian art used as the model for an eventual weretiger mini. ^_^


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Kalindlara wrote:
Personally, I'd love to see the mooncursed barbarian art used as the model for an eventual weretiger mini. ^_^

I admit I had no idea about the artwork you referenced. But, after looking it up, I say bring it on!

Dark Archive

Pigraven wrote:

While I'll be using the Rakshasa in both the AP and in my campaign as a Rakshasa, I'll also be using it as my de-facto Weretiger. Provided it turns out beautiful, of course.

Erik had hinted a set or so ago that he'd forgotten all about the Were-Creatures. His hope was to work more of them into the sets. I hope we'll see a true were-creature in this set or the next. They're really fun to put in my campaigns. After the more common villains like basic undead, giants and ogres, were-creatures probably excite my groups the most.

And speaking of the mushrooms and such, more plant-based anything would be great. But I would especially appreciate the actual Plant-type creatures. It's one of the most underrepresented mini in both Pathfinder and D&D. I'm not sure we've got any creatures purely of the Plant-type in Pathfinder miniature form, do we? On top of that, a quick jaunt through the Bestiaries, especially the second and third one, will show that Plant types have some amazing illustrations.

I ask for Fey creatures after pretty much every reveal. So I won't here. But just know I'm thinking about it....

I'd love to see Pathfinder throw another swarm into their sets. They started off doing one in nearly every set, but it's been awhile since I've seen one. This company definitely has some unique but interesting swarms that would make for a great minis. My players hate swarms, so naturally I'm a fan.

I like that you're basically doing a Curse of the Crimson Throne set w/o actually calling it that. It sort of gives you that room to add in a few pieces that aren't in the book, but that you really want to see in plastic form.

I agree with:

+1 for plants!
Really, set 13 should at least have 3, the only one we ever had was the "Vine Choker" from S&S.
Basidirond & Violet Fungus please!

+1 for some fey!
We really need a decent Dryad.

+1 for a Swarm!
It would be great getting a flying medium swarm on which's base a medium or small mini can be placed.
Something like the interior part of the D&D Gelatinous Cube.

-1 for Werecreatures.
We had a Werewolf in H&M, a Wererat & Wereshark in SAS and the Death Demon/Nabasu from WR is a real good Werebat. Now we get a Rakshasa, which acounts for Weretiger.
I'd rather have a medium "Boar" (a sorely missed basic monster) than any new lycantrophe.

I also hope that set 13 will have at least 10 HUGE minis, one of them being an uncommon Aboleth, a rare Black Pudding, a rare Green Dragon, 4 uncommon Elementals, an uncommon Giant Flytrap, a rare Froghemoth and a rare Remorhaz.
But that would be the ideal mix for me. ;-)

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

For personal reasons, I would be extremely happy if there were never a violet fungus mini. (No offense meant.) One mushroom mini is bad enough.

I'd love to see the male dryad from Hell's Vengeance get a mini. And after I get my mooncursed weretiger, you can have all the boars you want.

We're still extremely deficient in non-Core races (and even some of the Core races need a boost). Of the 14 PFS-legal races, many still have minimal or zero representation. And then there's all the others, from catfolk to samsaran.

I kind of doubt that the black pudding - aka "One Paint-step Man" - would be rare. It's literally a blob painted black, maybe with a second coat of something shiny. Then again, the gelatinous cube is rare, and it's literally two pieces of plastic glued together. So I guess it might happen. (The black pudding doesn't have the same iconic history, of course.)

Dark Archive

Kalindlara wrote:

For personal reasons, I would be extremely happy if there were never a violet fungus mini. (No offense meant.) One mushroom mini is bad enough.

I'd love to see the male dryad from Hell's Vengeance get a mini. And after I get my mooncursed weretiger, you can have all the boars you want.

We're still extremely deficient in non-Core races (and even some of the Core races need a boost). Of the 14 PFS-legal races, many still have minimal or zero representation. And then there's all the others, from catfolk to samsaran.

I kind of doubt that the black pudding - aka "One Paint-step Man" - would be rare. It's literally a blob painted black, maybe with a second coat of something shiny. Then again, the gelatinous cube is rare, and it's literally two pieces of plastic glued together. So I guess it might happen. (The black pudding doesn't have the same iconic history, of course.)

If you don´t like (pizza) fungi - ok, but how about some Vegepygmy? ;-)

I´m ok with the male Dryad, as long as a female one is in the same set.
Do you mean the female weretiger with the hooves and the nose-piercing?

I agree about the non-core races, i especially want some Kitsune.

I agree about the Black Pudding being easy to produce, you probably only need to inject some dark violet or black color into the plastic.
It could be a common, if you use the sculpt for other colored ones:
-white for arctic pudding
-brown for swamp pudding
-tan for desert pudding

I also see the appeal of making a huge Hydra with the exact same sculpt and two variants:
-Cryohydra and
-Pyrohydra

even if i´d rather see a gargantuan one with exchangeable heads/stumps.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I've been waiting forever for a violet fungi and / or shrieker mini. The Deathcap was OK, but it was ridicously expensive to obtain. And it wasn't purple. So it just didn't fit the bill.

Dark Archive

Berk the Black wrote:
I've been waiting forever for a violet fungi and / or shrieker mini. The Deathcap was OK, but it was ridicously expensive to obtain. And it wasn't purple. So it just didn't fit the bill.

I can understand if people don't like the Deathcap, it's rather unspectacular to put it mildly.

I have one and it's ok like you say.

That being said, the Violet Fungus is a staple creature that's been around for years and looks much more monstrous with its tentacles and elongated top.
It also appears in lots of adventures, so i would place it as an uncommon.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Kalindlara wrote:
We're still extremely deficient in non-Core races (and even some of the Core races need a boost). Of the 14 PFS-legal races, many still have minimal or zero representation. And then there's all the others, from catfolk to samsaran.

Couldn't agree more. I've been dying for a figure for my male Catfolk Arcane Trickster but even including the original D&D sets there is a total of three out there and they're all female. Just please get the legs right and have them bent backwards. :)


Sonicmixer wrote:
Kalindlara wrote:
We're still extremely deficient in non-Core races (and even some of the Core races need a boost). Of the 14 PFS-legal races, many still have minimal or zero representation. And then there's all the others, from catfolk to samsaran.
Couldn't agree more. I've been dying for a figure for my male Catfolk Arcane Trickster but even including the original D&D sets there is a total of three out there and they're all female. Just please get the legs right and have them bent backwards. :)

There are a few other decent options: The Archfiends Catfolk is actually male, I think, but there's also the Quaggoth Barbarian who works perfectly well as a catfolk, and the triaxian minis from Reign of Winter work well as catfolk too. There's also an old Dreamblade mini called Bast's Handmaid who would make an awesome catfolk cleric, and I think there might be some other decent catfolk stuff in the Dreamblade line if I thought about it.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Cleanthes wrote:
There are a few other decent options: The Archfiends Catfolk is actually male, I think, but there's also the Quaggoth Barbarian who works perfectly well as a catfolk, and the triaxian minis from Reign of Winter work well as catfolk too. There's also an old Dreamblade mini called Bast's Handmaid who would make an awesome catfolk cleric, and I think there might be some other decent catfolk stuff in the Dreamblade line if I thought about it.

Your right about the Archfiends Catfolk, completely missed that. That is probably the closest mini to what I've been looking for. Your other suggestions are good, but probably better fit different character concepts.

Would still like to see a few more miniatures in the excellent Pathfinder style of the various other non-core races. At least something that represents each of the fundamental archetypes of sneaky, spellcaster, and martial characters.

Dark Archive

Here is a 19 minutes video that shows the painted (large sized) giants from the "Assault of the Giants" deluxe version:

Miami Dice

At 1:20 the contents of the box are emptied.

At 2:13 you get a good look at the Hill Giant in hand.

At 4:21 you can see 5 (out of 7) different giants.

The rest is bla bla. ;-)

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Paizo Licensed Products / Miniatures / Paizo Blog: The Dead, the Big, and the Evil All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

Cybernetics and Augmentations,

Take the Plunge!,

Pathfinder Adventures—The Tiniest Table,

A Few More Answers,

Of Packages and Poppets,


©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.