Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Society


Starfinder


Starfinder Society


First World Preview—The Eldest

Thursday, December 1, 2016

With the release of Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The First World, Realm of the Fey rapidly approaching, some kind folks on the forums have been asking for a taste of what you'll find inside. And what better place to start than with the godlike Eldest of mysteries and secrets?

It's no secret that this book is special for me. Not only have I been working on it sporadically for so long that the original paper pagination I wrote out has started to look like an antique treasure map, but the First World has always captured my love of the weirdness of Pathfinder. A place where anything can happen, there's infinite variety around every corner, and beings great and powerful can toss you into an adventure in an instant! It's the same draw that led me to first start work on Kaer Maga (following in the gonzo footsteps of folks like China Miéville and Richard Pett), or to follow trailblazers like Wes and Jacobs into the Outer Planes with my novels. For me, the more bizarre oddities you can pack into a setting book, the better.

And one of the things that excited me most about this project was the prospect of getting to give all of the Eldest a full Book of the Damned/Chronicle of the Righteous-style write-up. Ever since Wes did the first Book of the Damned, it's been one of my favorite campaign setting books, and I shamelessly ripped off that format for The First World. Each of the Eldest in the book gets their own spread—the left page a write-up about the god (like this one for Ng), and the right detailing that Eldest's seat of power—in Ng's case, the fabled Palace of Seasons. As with Inner Sea Faiths, all of the Eldest come with boons and obediences that work with both the prestige classes in that book and the new feysworn prestige class presented in this one.

But of course, the true best part of this book for me is finally getting to see the Eldest illustrated! Ever since their first introduction in Pathfinder Adventure Path #36, I've wanted to see them brought to life, and this version of Ng is everything I had imagined and more, perfectly capturing the aura of mystery and menace that should accompany any of the fickle fey lords!

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for future blogs, where I hope to do at least one more preview before The First World launches!

James L. Sutter
Creative Director

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Pathfinder Campaign Setting

'It's Been 3000 Years...' but finally, it's preview time!

So that's how the Hooded looks. *O*

I'm so eager to see other Eldest! You sure are right, Sir. Finally getting to see the Eldest illustrated is truly awesome. Ng is the first one and I'm already confident that they will stand out. *-*

And the book's design seems to be amazing as well.

James L. Sutter wrote:
Each of the Eldest in the book gets their own spread—the left page a write-up about the god (like this one for Ng), and the right detailing that Eldest's seat of power—in Ng's case, the fabled Palace of Seasons. As with Inner Sea Faiths, all of the Eldest come with boons and obediences that work with both the prestige classes in that book and the new feysworn prestige class presented in this one.

*fainted*


2 people marked this as a favorite.

You have no idea how much I wanted this campaign. Especially the Lantern King... have you ever encountered a sideways mention with too little detail that grabbed your attention in a way that you couldn't describe? That was me with this individual. All of the Eldest and the First Realm really draw my attention, too. I look forwards to this campaign setting, and I'm curious to see what twists and turns it provides.


I'm super excited for this book, I love fairies of all kinds. And although my hopes aren't high I really wish I would find some arcane, and specifically wizard, options in this book. I hope for one day to get character options that unite the thematics of arcane with fey/nature magic.


This is very timely, as my Kingmaker Campaign is finally starting Book Six at the end of the month.


I love the Ng obedience abilities. I'm surprised you went away from the three lines of evangelist/sentinel/exalted abilities (I guess the power of space restrictions compelled you), but these seem very well done and appropriately powerful. Looking forward to seeing the rest.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I can't wait to get this book.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.

The introduction of the additional boons for the other two categories does indeed wreak havoc on presenting information in this format. For the Eldest, we decided to focus only on the baseline boons so we could get more information in about the demigod itself. For now, specific boons for these demigods for those other two categories will need to remain undefined and mysterious.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Awesome!


Finally gets home after long day, sees that the bog post is "First World Preview—The Eldest"

YES!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ng's followers being "cognizant of the physical dangers of the open road" makes me want to make yet another PFS character...

... must resist.

:)Also, I am in total cowl / hood jealousy now... here's hoping for the Ng picture as an avatar some day.

Creative Director, Starfinder Team

Llyr the Scoundrel wrote:
You have no idea how much I wanted this campaign. Especially the Lantern King... have you ever encountered a sideways mention with too little detail that grabbed your attention in a way that you couldn't describe?

Thank you! That's the thing I try hardest for in all of my books—just enough info to get your brain rolling. :D

Creative Director, Starfinder Team

Plausible Pseudonym wrote:
I love the Ng obedience abilities. I'm surprised you went away from the three lines of evangelist/sentinel/exalted abilities (I guess the power of space restrictions compelled you), but these seem very well done and appropriately powerful. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Yeah, we talk in the introduction to the section about how all three of those can take these same boons. Maybe someday there'll be a bigger book where we can expand even further... though given how long this one took, I wouldn't hold your breath. :)

Sovereign Court

Now Ng is a deity that would be an interesting choice perhaps for a Kalistocrat considering the gloves obedience.

--Jingle Bell Vrock

Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
James Sutter wrote:
Yeah, we talk in the introduction to the section about how all three of those can take these same boons. Maybe someday there'll be a bigger book where we can expand even further... though given how long this one took, I wouldn't hold your breath. :)

You get that book fast-tracked and make sure there are celestial obediences in it for the so-called "lesser" (harumph) empyreal lords, and specifically for Cernunnos, well, then, Mr. Sutter, let's just say that there's a crisp green piece of legally negotiable paper engraved with a portrait of a certain Father of our Country in it for you.


Glad to see a preview.


This is most exciting. I will find it truly useful to the various Golarion campaigns I run. Fey are my number two or three interest when it comes to high fantasy tales and my use of them is omnipresent; so I am ever so thrilled by this preview. 'Home At The Crossroads' and the theories on his nature are truly tasteful, literate, and engrossing.

It is my sincere hope that this is merely the first volume to more carefully explore the First World's wonders.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Sutter wrote:
Maybe someday there'll be a bigger book where we can expand even further... though given how long this one took, I wouldn't hold your breath. :)

I nevertheless eagerly anticipate the Last Word on the First World hardcover. :D

Scarab Sages

Weird people rejoice, we are about to reach our Promised Land!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

AHHHHHHH!

(It feels like I've been saying that a lot lately)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Paizo, Paizo, Paizo... why must you validate my decision to subscribe at every turn?

This is glorious.


Personally, I'm fine with only true gods having three sets of boons, and demigods like demon lords, archdevils, empyreal lords, and eldest only having one set of boons. It doesn't strike me as inappropriate.


Belltrap wrote:
Personally, I'm fine with only true gods having three sets of boons, and demigods like demon lords, archdevils, empyreal lords, and eldest only having one set of boons. It doesn't strike me as inappropriate.

I just wish they were consistent. Now we have Eldest, Demon Lords, and Empyreal Lords with single boon lines, Archdevils, Gods, and a great old one with three. And generally the single boon options are more powerful than what Evangelist, Exalted, or Sentinel offer.


This project sounds great James. I really enjoyed your work on "Death's Heretic" and "Redemption Engine." I got the books as part of my gift bag from the Bonebat Comedy Festival of Horrors, and it's what got me involved with the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, which paid off for Paizo because I started working on PACG fan mods.

Creative Director, Starfinder Team

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Autoduelist wrote:
This project sounds great James. I really enjoyed your work on "Death's Heretic" and "Redemption Engine." I got the books as part of my gift bag from the Bonebat Comedy Festival of Horrors, and it's what got me involved with the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, which paid off for Paizo because I started working on PACG fan mods.

Awesome! I'm honored to have helped get you involved. :D

Grand Lodge

With the favored weapon being the gauntlet (lethal damage with an unarmed attack). Does a Cleric of Ng get Improved Unarmed Attack as a bonus feat or should it be Spiked gauntlet?


James Sutter wrote:
Plausible Pseudonym wrote:
I love the Ng obedience abilities. I'm surprised you went away from the three lines of evangelist/sentinel/exalted abilities (I guess the power of space restrictions compelled you), but these seem very well done and appropriately powerful. Looking forward to seeing the rest.
Yeah, we talk in the introduction to the section about how all three of those can take these same boons. Maybe someday there'll be a bigger book where we can expand even further... though given how long this one took, I wouldn't hold your breath. :)

So, how many of the lives of Shyka the Many will I have to wait?


Ngans: *yelling at Desnans* Wandering is serious business, you guys! Stop having fun!


Can't wait to grab this from the shop next week!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber

Woshippers: constructs...

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

James, I truly have to say as a GM, I love this whole book. In my current party that I am running through Reign of Winter, the rogue half-elf from Kyonin, Painvin, worship's Ng. He has Gloves of Larceny and because he pretty much wears them all day, he gets the +4 Sacred bonus. He is LOVING it. Please publish tons more of material like this with unique gods, goddesses and Elder Creatures. It makes gameplay as a GM very fun and skill filled.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
King of Vrock wrote:

Now Ng is a deity that would be an interesting choice perhaps for a Kalistocrat considering the gloves obedience.

--Jingle Bell Vrock

See, below, but as a GM, I am loving one of the Rogue classed PCs in my Reign of Winter group worshipping Ng. Can you say +4 Sacred bonus for wearing Gloves of Larceny all the time?


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Flynn Greywalker wrote:
James, I truly have to say as a GM, I love this whole book. In my current party that I am running through Reign of Winter, the rogue half-elf from Kyonin, Painvin, worship's Ng. He has Gloves of Larceny and because he pretty much wears them all day, he gets the +4 Sacred bonus. He is LOVING it. Please publish tons more of material like this with unique gods, goddesses and Elder Creatures. It makes gameplay as a GM very fun and skill filled.

Best way to get more material like it is by writing a review for it on the product page! Speaking of which, looks like I need to get around to that as well.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Campaign Setting / Pathfinder Campaign Setting Products / Paizo Blog: First World Preview—The Eldest All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Campaign Setting Products

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.