Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game


Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Free Pathfinder Tales Audiobook!

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Audible has just released the second wave of Pathfinder Tales novels, which means that every Pathfinder Tales novel published to date is now available on Audible.com! Yet there's even a bigger announcement that I've been waiting for months to spill, and now I finally can:

For the next month, Paizo and Audible are giving away the audiobook of Death's Heretic for free!

Yeah, you read that right—there's no subscription or purchase required. Just follow the link above any time between now and February 16th to grab the audiobook version of Death's Heretic—the Pathfinder Tales novel that Barnes & Noble called the third-best fantasy release of 2011—for free.

Of course, it's our hope that once you listen to one Pathfinder novel on Audible, you'll want to check out the rest. But first and foremost, we're just excited to have all the Pathfinder Tales available, and from such a wide range of awesome narrators—it's been an exciting project that we've been working on for a very long time.

On a personal note, as the author of Death's Heretic, well... it's a rare privilege to be allowed to give the book out for free. So please take a listen, review it, and spread the word. After all, who doesn't need more free audiobooks in their life?

And if you're not already an audiobook addict like me—this is your chance to give it a try for free, and fill those boring parts of everyday life with sweet, sweet fantasy action! Listen in the car! On the bus! While exercising! While grocery shopping! While waiting at the altar for your fiancé to walk down the aisle! The possibilities are endless.

Go grab the free Death's Heretic audiobook, then hit the comments below and let us know what you think!

James L. Sutter
Executive Editor

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: James L. Sutter Pathfinder Tales
1 to 50 of 65 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Class Deck Subscriber

That right there is a good one to start with!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

I love free and have audible!

Gaming Coordinator - Alien Worlds

This is great.


Pathfinder Card Game, Class Deck Subscriber

Very cool! Also, Pathfinder Society players, don't forget this gives you a nifty boon you can use on every one of your characters!


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

I travel 3 hours a day for work and I have hundreds of Audible books. Gladly add this one to the queue and will take a listen after I finish "Off to be the Wizard" by Scott Meyer.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Great story. When I have a player considering an Inquisitor, I point them towards this novel.

Paizo Employee Executive Editor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Really excited to be able to give this one out to folks! I'm listening to it for the first time myself right now, and Ray Porter's voice for

Spoiler:

the protean

makes me *extremely* happy. :D


James Sutter wrote:

Really excited to be able to give this one out to folks! I'm listening to it for the first time myself right now, and Ray Porter's voice for

** spoiler omitted **

makes me *extremely* happy. :D

Downloaded it last night when I saw your post on facebook. I loved the print version, even reading it with my horrible blind accessible software, so I'm excited to get an actual person reading it for me. Congrats!

Paizo Employee Executive Editor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Valantrix1 wrote:


Downloaded it last night when I saw your post on facebook. I loved the print version, even reading it with my horrible blind accessible software, so I'm excited to get an actual person reading it for me. Congrats!

Thank you! It's always been my hope that the audiobooks would help make the books accessible to a wider audience. Thanks for soldiering through the print versions, and here's to never having to do so again. :D


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
James Sutter wrote:
Valantrix1 wrote:


Downloaded it last night when I saw your post on facebook. I loved the print version, even reading it with my horrible blind accessible software, so I'm excited to get an actual person reading it for me. Congrats!
Thank you! It's always been my hope that the audiobooks would help make the books accessible to a wider audience. Thanks for soldiering through the print versions, and here's to never having to do so again. :D

Also, according to Orson Scott Card (and others) some stories were written to be delivered orally.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Great promo Sutter!

Shadow Lodge

Yay!

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, PFS RPG Subscriber

As far as I know, everything audible.com sells has DRM on it. Is this true of the Pathfinder audiobooks? (I avoid buying DRM-encumbered things whenever possible.)

Liberty's Edge

rknop wrote:
As far as I know, everything audible.com sells has DRM on it. Is this true of the Pathfinder audiobooks? (I avoid buying DRM-encumbered things whenever possible.)

Of course it's true. It's a digital product from Audible. It has DRM. It always will.

That said, Audible's an Amazon company and their software is available on every platform and every device. There has never been a problem I have ever had with Audible or in re-downloading a purchased novel (which is more than I can say for iTunes). Very few books are released on physical media these days, a fact which will soon be approaching "none".

So, there it is.

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, PFS RPG Subscriber

Yeah, I just really don't want to pay for something crippled by DRM. I've been known to do it. I have an XBox, which is one gigantic walled-garden-o-rama, so I guess it makes me a hypocrite. But I really avoid paying for any DRM thing at all to use on my actual computers. It's a customer-hostile technology that doesn't do a damn towards what it's supposed to do. I'm trying to vote with my dollars here.

Contributor

Steel_Wind wrote:

Very few books are released on physical media these days, a fact which will soon be approaching "none".

Um. What? Unless by "very few" you mean "tens of thousands" and that your soon approaching none prediction somehow accounts for the last couple of years trends towards declining ebook sales and concomitant rising print book sales.

Are you talking about audio books specifically maybe?

Your point about iBooks is taken. Every time I download a new Tales book from Apple purchased there all the old ones I downloaded straight from Paizo get nuked.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber

I'm confused by this whole audible nonsense.

Why can't I just download the file? It's annoying.

Pass.

Liberty's Edge

Christopher Rowe wrote:
Steel_Wind wrote:

Very few books are released on physical media these days, a fact which will soon be approaching "none".

Quote:


Are you talking about audio books specifically maybe?

Yes.

Paizo Employee Executive Editor

GeraintElberion wrote:

I'm confused by this whole audible nonsense.

Why can't I just download the file? It's annoying.

Pass.

Because Audible is the publisher for the backlist audiobooks. Everything regarding those audiobooks—including the decision to give one away for free—is their call.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

So... is there an option to just download the file once it's been purchased? All the default options assume I want to play it through some Amazon program, and I'm just, "No, thanks guys, I have WinAmp, it works fine, just let me download the file, thanks."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

I've been using Audible for over a decade. They have always been stand up company and I've not noticed a change since Amazon bought them. Their apps are well designed and work across platforms. It's a free book and a free app. Why not give it a try?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

You can actually download the file. If you go to your library on the Audible site, there is a black "DOWNLOAD" button. However, the file comes in one of several Audible proprietary formats. You can select the exact format you want on that page.

The best way to listen might be the Audible smartphone apps, though. They offer several useful features for listening to audiobooks.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Great Promo but I get a failure to connect to server on every computer and smart phone I try (except for my home PC desktop). :(

Liberty's Edge

And DONE!


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Thanks very much for this! I loved reading the book, and can't wait to hear how the reader's voice colors the characters!

Thanks again!

Shadow Lodge

Zaister wrote:
You can actually download the file. If you go to your library on the Audible site, there is a black "DOWNLOAD" button. However, the file comes in one of several Audible proprietary formats. You can select the exact format you want on that page.

Alright, I'll give that a try when I get home.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

purchased, will be listening soon. I've all Dave Gross' novels, but have had to suspend my suscriptions.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber

Awesome.
Free.
Win.

I didn't realize PF Tales were on Audible. I've made it about 50% through this on the last few commutes, and while painting minis at night. Great story and narration. Simply awesome depiction of an inquisitor!

Grand Lodge

I really enjoyed Death's Heretic and just finished Redemption Engine, both in paperback. I'd love to see a third in this series, preferably in paperback or DRM-free audio (for those of us who like to live unchained).

;)


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

voice of angel:
The angel (sorry no idea how to spell name) that appears to Salim in the beginning of the novel, why is the narrator choosing to go into different voices for the angel during its dialog? Ive just started this and was curious....is it explained later or is it narrator's/audiobook's director/producer's artistic choice?

Paizo Employee Executive Editor

jcg wrote:

Awesome.

Free.
Win.

I didn't realize PF Tales were on Audible. I've made it about 50% through this on the last few commutes, and while painting minis at night. Great story and narration. Simply awesome depiction of an inquisitor!

Yay! Glad you're liking it! And yeah, there are about 30 other PF Tales on Audible now, just waiting for you. ;)

Paizo Employee Executive Editor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Schnappy das kleine Kobold wrote:

I really enjoyed Death's Heretic and just finished Redemption Engine, both in paperback. I'd love to see a third in this series, preferably in paperback or DRM-free audio (for those of us who like to live unchained).

;)

I can guarantee that if (and hopefully more like "when") the third book comes out, it'll be available in paperback. We here at Paizo must continue our killing of trees until our blood feud is satisfied!

Paizo Employee Executive Editor

Duncan7291 wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

All the voices in the books are the narrators and producers' choice—I can provide guidelines, but they make the ultimate call. In the case of Ceyanan, I think Ray was just trying to make the voice creepy, and perhaps also to keep it from sounding clearly male or female.


Good to have some free audiobook stuff. :)


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
James Sutter wrote:
Duncan7291 wrote:
** spoiler omitted **
All the voices in the books are the narrators and producers' choice—I can provide guidelines, but they make the ultimate call. In the case of Ceyanan, I think Ray was just trying to make the voice creepy, and perhaps also to keep it from sounding clearly male or female.

Thanks James for info. I'm enjoying the book so far. The main character just got to that place after he was told he needed to do a thing before the other thing happened or he/she would have to you know. ;)

Paizo Employee Executive Editor

Duncan7291 wrote:
James Sutter wrote:
Duncan7291 wrote:
** spoiler omitted **
All the voices in the books are the narrators and producers' choice—I can provide guidelines, but they make the ultimate call. In the case of Ceyanan, I think Ray was just trying to make the voice creepy, and perhaps also to keep it from sounding clearly male or female.
Thanks James for info. I'm enjoying the book so far. The main character just got to that place after he was told he needed to do a thing before the other thing happened or he/she would have to you know. ;)

Ooh, I LOVE that part!

:P


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

So cool! I just got to chapter 4 and I'm enjoying it immensely.

Ruyan.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'm listening to this today. I find Salim a very interesting character. Is this his first story? Is there more on how he became who he is? James is this also a character you've played as a character at a table?


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

I just bought the second audible book, Redemption Engine, after enjoying this one. Not sure which one was first.

Edit: Just checked, Redemption Engine is the sequel.

Paizo Employee Executive Editor

H2Osw wrote:
I'm listening to this today. I find Salim a very interesting character. Is this his first story? Is there more on how he became who he is? James is this also a character you've played as a character at a table?

If you want to know how he became who he is, keep listening. That's the best part of the book. :D

In terms of more Salim: As mentioned, there's the sequel, The Redemption Engine (also on Audible!), and the free short story "Faithful Servants" available in written form here and in audio form here.

Also, as a reminder to folks: If you enjoy the book—or even if you don't—please review it on Audible and Amazon! Even just clicking a star rating goes a long way to helping raise the profile of the book, and gives potential readers valuable info. Reviews are the lifeblood of the publishing industry!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

James,

Im still finishing up the book (I got the sequel based off my enjoyment so far and desire to support the author). I'll review it once finished (Probably end of the week). For future books, please try to keep that narrator. He is doing an excellent job on so far in book one. Im glad he is the narrator for book 2.

Duncan


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Sutter wrote:
H2Osw wrote:
I'm listening to this today. I find Salim a very interesting character. Is this his first story? Is there more on how he became who he is? James is this also a character you've played as a character at a table?

If you want to know how he became who he is, keep listening. That's the best part of the book. :D

In terms of more Salim: As mentioned, there's the sequel, The Redemption Engine (also on Audible!), and the free short story "Faithful Servants" available in written form here and in audio form here.

Also, as a reminder to folks: If you enjoy the book—or even if you don't—please review it on Audible and Amazon! Even just clicking a star rating goes a long way to helping raise the profile of the book, and gives potential readers valuable info. Reviews are the lifeblood of the publishing industry!

I guess I got ahead of myself. I just finished his story of how he became. Awesome stuff! I will review it once I finish the book, should be tomorrow.

So is Salim a character that has seen tabletop time or just a work of fiction for pathfinder tales?


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

From what I've seen...people are guessing he is a fighter/inquisitor with at least 6 levels in inquisitor. Would be interesting to build a Salim character.

Paizo Employee Executive Editor

Duncan7291 wrote:

James,

Im still finishing up the book (I got the sequel based off my enjoyment so far and desire to support the author). I'll review it once finished (Probably end of the week). For future books, please try to keep that narrator. He is doing an excellent job on so far in book one. Im glad he is the narrator for book 2.

Duncan

Awesome! Thank you! :D

Paizo Employee Executive Editor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
H2Osw wrote:


So is Salim a character that has seen tabletop time or just a work of fiction for pathfinder tales?

I've never played Salim in an actual game, but I *did* play an atheist character for several years in James Jacobs' Shadows under Sandpoint campaign. Kirin the Heretic was a very different type of atheist from Salim—he actively rejected the gods' existence, claiming that all divine casters were "just sorcerers without the guts to take responsibility for their powers"—a stance that is frankly pretty crazy given the body of evidence, but that's what made him fun to play. :) So while I didn't realize it until years later, Kirin was clearly an influence on what Salim would become. Him and Deckard from Blade Runner. :)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Duncan7291 wrote:
From what I've seen...people are guessing he is a fighter/inquisitor with at least 6 levels in inquisitor. Would be interesting to build a Salim character.

Just what I'm trying to do at the moment, at least sorta.

I've liked the inquisitor base class ever since it was published in the APG and I really like Salim's personality/character as portrayed in the story.
So I'll try to build my own version of him for a homebrew campaign.

Reffering to Deckard just encouraged me even more to go ranger/inquisitor instead of fighter/inquisitor, James. This should be fun!

And just to repeat: awesome story (just hit chapter 8), James.

Ruyan.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Finished the book and gave it 5 stars on audible. I really enjoyed the reader as well.

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Just so you guys are aware, searching for Pathfinder or Pathfinder Tales on Audible only brings up the original 17 releases, not any of the new ones. I had been wanting to pick up Forge of Ashes, and literally only just checked Audible yesterday by searching Pathfinder Tales, and when it didn't show up, I spent my monthly credit on another book.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Gleaming Terrier wrote:
Very cool! Also, Pathfinder Society players, don't forget this gives you a nifty boon you can use on every one of your characters!

Really? We get the boons off the audio book? I have so much printing to do...

Paizo Employee Executive Editor

flash_cxxi wrote:
Just so you guys are aware, searching for Pathfinder or Pathfinder Tales on Audible only brings up the original 17 releases, not any of the new ones. I had been wanting to pick up Forge of Ashes, and literally only just checked Audible yesterday by searching Pathfinder Tales, and when it didn't show up, I spent my monthly credit on another book.

Thanks for letting us know! That's no good at all—I'll ping Audible right now and ask them to fix it.

In the meantime, you can find all the releases at audible.com/pathfinder

1 to 50 of 65 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Tales / Paizo Blog: Free Pathfinder Tales Audiobook! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.


©2002–2016 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.