Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Playtest Thoughts: Week 1

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Greetings from the playtest laboratory! We are one week in to the Advanced Class Guide Playtest, and we are already getting a lot of great feedback and playtest data. Every week from now until the playtest's end on December 17th, we are going to be giving you our thoughts on the state of the playtest and give you some hints of the direction we are taking some of these classes.

This being the first week, we are only just starting to adjust some class mechanics and look at making some shifts in how things work. Most of these will take a bit longer to make it to your table, but sometime in the next few weeks we are hoping to rerelease the playtest PDFs with all of our revisions incorporated into the classes. It is our hope to get some feedback on these revisions before the playtest window comes to a close.

So, without further delay, here are some of the changes we are considering or are in the process of implementing. Feel free to comment on these changes in the thread attached to this post, but any serious discussion should occur in the class thread for each individual class (located in the Class forum).

Arcanist

As mentioned on the boards, the arcanist is going through a serious round of redesign. While the core casting mechanic of this class is going to remain pretty much as it currently stands, the blood focus ability is being replaced by an arcane reservoir that the arcanist to call upon to create magical effects and tinker with the spells and effects of others. They can refuel this pool by consuming spell slots or even other magic items and spell effects. In essence, the arcanist is becoming the "hacker" of magic, capable of pulling it apart and putting it back together to accomplish their goals. We are hoping to rerelease the arcanist in the next few days.

Bloodrager

We are generally happy with the direction of this class, but it needs some tweaks. We are seriously contemplating giving the class its own spell list to help it better fulfill its role in the game. In addition, we are looking at pulling some of the more direct barbarian abilities to replace them with something a bit more in tune with the class. Refinement of the various bloodlines will be much of our focus, making sure they are in tune with the overall balance of the class.

Brawler

The brawler is getting a few revisions and tweaks in the coming weeks. The capstone ability of the class is going to be replaced with something far more interesting than the current ability (although we are not quite ready to show that off just yet). The knockout ability will gain a number of uses per day, scaling with level. We are also going to change up the brawlers weapon list, giving it all simple weapons, plus any weapon on the "close" weapon group from the fighter. Of course, you will be able to use all those weapons with the brawler's flurry ability.

Hunter

We are looking at a lot of different options for the hunter, the biggest of which is giving a boost to the hunter's animal companion. We really want to see the class working in tandem with its companion in a way that we just have not done with any other class. We are looking at buffing up the hunter's ranged capabilities as well. Expect to see a number of teamwork feats in the final book that work specifically with an animal companion as well. Of course we are looking at a few other issues as well, such as the restrictions on armor and shields and increasing the duration and use of the animal focus ability.

Investigator

The design team is looking to move this class a little bit away from the rogue, possibly by replacing sneak attack with an ability that is more in line with the theme of the class. We are also looking into changing the poison use ability to make it something that allows the investigator to identify poisons, their effects, and neutralize them. Finally, there are going to be more talents allowing them to use more of their skills as well as some new effects we are not quite ready to talk about just yet.

Shaman

Overall, we are pretty happy with the direction the shaman is taking, but there are some adjustments we are investigating. The first of which is changing the class to work off the druid spell list, as this fits the theme better than the witch or cleric list. In addition, we are looking into adding a bit more the hexes for each spirit and possibly adjusting how those hexes are used.

Skald

The biggest change on the horizon with the skald involves how the raging song is used in play, allowing characters to drop out of participating if they want. We are also looking at making the raging song work in tandem with other rage abilities in a limited way. In addition, we are thinking about adding a number of weapon proficiencies to the class to bring it a bit closer to its theme.

Slayer

We are looking at ways to make favored target a bit easier to use and a bit more versatile. We are also looking at bringing the class up to 6 skill ranks per level (it currently has 4 per level). Other than that, most of our upcoming revisions involve greatly expanding the number of talents that you can choose from, allowing you to build the slayer you want to play.

Swashbuckler

We are investigating ways for the class to get Weapon Finesse at an appropriate level and to work with Combat Expertise. In addition, we are looking at adding some deeds and increase the swashbucklers mobility during battle, allowing them to stand up without provoking an attack and charge without having to move in a straight line. We are still working on how those play with existing deeds and what changes would need to happen to get them to fit into the advancement scheme.

Warpriest

Finally we get to the warpriest. We are looking at strengthening the role of this class by taking it a bit away from the cleric's position. While we want the class to be among the best at healing and casting spells on itself and we are investigating a mechanic to let it do just that (probably in place of channel energy). We are also looking into a new class feature that allows the warpriest to be an effective combatant with the favored weapon of its deity, regardless of what weapon is favored by their deity. Look for increased damage and additional effects depending on the type of weapon and its role in the game.

Well, that about wraps up the playtest review for this week. We want to thank everyone who has taken the time to give us their thoughts and playtest reports. You are helping us make these classes great and we appreciate all the time you are spending giving us your feedback. Look for the revised arcanist in a blog post later this week and expect to see a revised version of the playtest document soon.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Playtest
1 to 50 of 211 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

This sounds really good! I am especially eager to see what changes were considered for the war priest - I hope he becomes less of s spellcaster, looses channel energy, and gains considerably stronger powers from their blessings.

Shadow Lodge

That's... Pretty much exactly what we were looking for! Hmm. If we want to make the Warpriest a good healer, we could give it a scaling SLA cure/inflict, similar to the Summoner.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Man, all of these changes look good. I'm glad to see the playtest feedback is having an effect!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules Subscriber

I haven't had a chance to test yet, but I am currently building a bloodrager (with one level of brawler) to test this coming Saturday. Just looking at the character sheet(s) so far, I'm really looking forward to wrecking my GM's day. :D


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Awesome. I love the update-a-week idea and am excited to see the changes to the classes. They all sound very interesting :)


4 people marked this as a favorite.

A bit sad the investigator looses sneak attack (a cop sap master that specializes in knowcking out his opponnents is kindof awesome) but otherwise your notes seem to match what I have seen.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
williamoak wrote:
A bit sad the investigator looses sneak attack (a cop sap master that specializes in knowcking out his opponnents is kindof awesome) but otherwise your notes seem to match what I have seen.

I'm not. I'm going to be happy that I'll be able to look at builds without having to work around making sneak attack function for me.

Silver Crusade

Warpriests should get DoT heals. =)


I like some of the revisions, dislike others. Well, at least the idea of those revisions, will have to wait and see what the revisions actually are to form a more permanent opinion.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

As I stated under the brawler discussion I see this as kinda a pounder superhero. I like that they are making some changes to this new class. Here are just some quick ideas.....shatter asan ability , or ignore hardness,or maybe an area damage ability, like earthquake. I like the knockout ability, but would like to see a knockback or a choice between the two.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Would have loved to see sneak attack stay with investigators, along with the cleric spell list for shaman. :|


4 people marked this as a favorite.
TarkXT wrote:
I'm not. I'm going to be happy that I'll be able to look at builds without having to work around making sneak attack function for me.

The loss of sneak attack... the loss of poison use... Those are two "offense" abilities that are lost.

The Investigator doesn't seem to have much offense now at all. Hopefully whatever replaces sneak attack adds something back.

If this has been discussed, can someone list what the conclusion was?


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Also would like to see the whole Dervish Dance issue surrounding Swashbuckler (and seemingly every dex-based melee character that will ever exist) addressed. Gettin' real tired of the concept that only rapiers and scimitars are fit to be used without being AM MUSCLEHEAD (no offense to AM BARBARIAN and his kin).


I like the 99% of the directives espoused.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Although it is great that some core elements (proficiencies) and high-level abilities of the brawler are getting respecced, I would really like to see some attention given to Martial Maneuvers. It is a brilliant class ability that is restricted from really blossoming by the low number of uses per day.

I would suggest either increasing the uses per day equal to brawler level (rather than half brawler level). Or alternatively, at level 4 to 6(ish) add additional uses per day equal to the higher of Str/Dex. This would be in tune with the Knockout mechanic, and granting the additional uses at a higher level (4 to 6 or so) prevents making the brawler a quick dip class.


Please let the Shaman keep a spell list with augury, remove curse, and spiritual weapon.


All of these are the changes I desired. I'm so happy.

Lantern Lodge

Woot! I think this just addressed all of my concerns for the playtest classes as is!

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

I've been perusing the boards pretty regularly during this playtest- the first time I've really had a chance to do so. I'm very impressed with developer responses both on the boards and in this list, and I look forward to playtesting the changes. (Especially the Arcanist. That sounds very, very interesting...)

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Okay, question about playtest classes in PFS. Some of the updates in this blog are phrased a bit tentatively, but also specifically. So for PFS characters using the playtest classes, exactly what should we apply?

For example:

Brawler wrote:
We are also going to change up the brawlers weapon list, giving it all simple weapons, plus any weapon on the "close" weapon group from the fighter. Of course, you will be able to use all those weapons with the brawler's flurry ability.

That's pretty specific, but it's phrased like the change hasn't taken place yet. My wife just built a PFS brawler; should she make adjustments based on this, or wait until it becomes more "official"?

Another example:

Slayer wrote:
We are also looking at bringing the class up to 6 skill ranks per level (it currently has 4 per level).

So how many skill ranks does my PFS slayer have right now?

Thanks in advance for clarification. :)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Jiggy wrote:

Okay, question about playtest classes in PFS. Some of the updates in this blog are phrased a bit tentatively, but also specifically. So for PFS characters using the playtest classes, exactly what should we apply?

For example:

Brawler wrote:
We are also going to change up the brawlers weapon list, giving it all simple weapons, plus any weapon on the "close" weapon group from the fighter. Of course, you will be able to use all those weapons with the brawler's flurry ability.

That's pretty specific, but it's phrased like the change hasn't taken place yet. My wife just built a PFS brawler; should she make adjustments based on this, or wait until it becomes more "official"?

Another example:

Slayer wrote:
We are also looking at bringing the class up to 6 skill ranks per level (it currently has 4 per level).

So how many skill ranks does my PFS slayer have right now?

Thanks in advance for clarification. :)

Nothing yet?


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I like most of these changes

I hope the Investigator keeps sneak attack

Liberty's Edge

Sounds great!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I've said this in the Shaman thread, but I dislike switching to Druid. To me, Shamans are about spirits not nature, and while nature spirits are common in fantasy, so are ancestor spirits who may have lived in a large city. I'd much rather see a way for nature-themed shamans to pull in a small number of druid spells than for the whole class to get pigeonholed into one version of a currently very evocative and versatile class.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

For the Shaman, I'm concerned about the loss of the necromancy spells from the cleric list. My Bones Shaman pretty much required access to those spells to fit, and the druid spell list is lacking in undead creation and necromantic abilities.


Jiggy wrote:

Okay, question about playtest classes in PFS. Some of the updates in this blog are phrased a bit tentatively, but also specifically. So for PFS characters using the playtest classes, exactly what should we apply?

For example:

Brawler wrote:
We are also going to change up the brawlers weapon list, giving it all simple weapons, plus any weapon on the "close" weapon group from the fighter. Of course, you will be able to use all those weapons with the brawler's flurry ability.

That's pretty specific, but it's phrased like the change hasn't taken place yet. My wife just built a PFS brawler; should she make adjustments based on this, or wait until it becomes more "official"?

Another example:

Slayer wrote:
We are also looking at bringing the class up to 6 skill ranks per level (it currently has 4 per level).

So how many skill ranks does my PFS slayer have right now?

Thanks in advance for clarification. :)

Until the new playtest document is released, I imagine you should go with what's in the current document. I might be wrong here, but since this is an ongoing process, I'm fairly certain Paizo would like as much feedback as possible, even about things they consider changing.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
BetaSprite wrote:
For the Shaman, I'm concerned about the loss of the necromancy spells from the cleric list. My Bones Shaman pretty much required access to those spells to fit, and the druid spell list is lacking in undead creation and necromantic abilities.

Would the witch spell list be a decent middle ground?


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I hope the investigator do not get nerfed in the revision. I am fine if sneak attacks goes but that should be replaced with another ability that let them be equally good at combat.

Please do not let the rogues drag down the investigator.

Liberty's Edge

Heine Stick wrote:
Jiggy wrote:

Okay, question about playtest classes in PFS. Some of the updates in this blog are phrased a bit tentatively, but also specifically. So for PFS characters using the playtest classes, exactly what should we apply?

For example:

Brawler wrote:
We are also going to change up the brawlers weapon list, giving it all simple weapons, plus any weapon on the "close" weapon group from the fighter. Of course, you will be able to use all those weapons with the brawler's flurry ability.

That's pretty specific, but it's phrased like the change hasn't taken place yet. My wife just built a PFS brawler; should she make adjustments based on this, or wait until it becomes more "official"?

Another example:

Slayer wrote:
We are also looking at bringing the class up to 6 skill ranks per level (it currently has 4 per level).

So how many skill ranks does my PFS slayer have right now?

Thanks in advance for clarification. :)

Until the new playtest document is released, I imagine you should go with what's in the current document. I might be wrong here, but since this is an ongoing process, I'm fairly certain Paizo would like as much feedback as possible, even about things they consider changing.

I agree. I'd wait to change anything til the new doc comes out, unless Mike or John state otherwise.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I like this update.

I'm especially looking forward to seeing, and trying out, the revised arcanist.


godsDMit wrote:
Heine Stick wrote:
Jiggy wrote:

Okay, question about playtest classes in PFS. Some of the updates in this blog are phrased a bit tentatively, but also specifically. So for PFS characters using the playtest classes, exactly what should we apply?

For example:

Brawler wrote:
We are also going to change up the brawlers weapon list, giving it all simple weapons, plus any weapon on the "close" weapon group from the fighter. Of course, you will be able to use all those weapons with the brawler's flurry ability.

That's pretty specific, but it's phrased like the change hasn't taken place yet. My wife just built a PFS brawler; should she make adjustments based on this, or wait until it becomes more "official"?

Another example:

Slayer wrote:
We are also looking at bringing the class up to 6 skill ranks per level (it currently has 4 per level).

So how many skill ranks does my PFS slayer have right now?

Thanks in advance for clarification. :)

Until the new playtest document is released, I imagine you should go with what's in the current document. I might be wrong here, but since this is an ongoing process, I'm fairly certain Paizo would like as much feedback as possible, even about things they consider changing.
I agree. I'd wait to change anything til the new doc comes out, unless Mike or John state otherwise.

Actually, go with any updates posted in the first post of the stickied class articles in the class discussion area of the playtest forums. Jason has been updating those with official errata.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Virgil Firecask wrote:
BetaSprite wrote:
For the Shaman, I'm concerned about the loss of the necromancy spells from the cleric list. My Bones Shaman pretty much required access to those spells to fit, and the druid spell list is lacking in undead creation and necromantic abilities.
Would the witch spell list be a decent middle ground?

I personally think the Witch list fits the most, especially since I imagine that they have similar sources of power. (non-deity otherworldly hex granters.)

Second would be Druid list because I think Shaman could lean into animism.

What's mechanically better I don't know.

Liberty's Edge

Virgil Firecask wrote:
godsDMit wrote:
Heine Stick wrote:
Jiggy wrote:

Okay, question about playtest classes in PFS. Some of the updates in this blog are phrased a bit tentatively, but also specifically. So for PFS characters using the playtest classes, exactly what should we apply?

For example:

Brawler wrote:
We are also going to change up the brawlers weapon list, giving it all simple weapons, plus any weapon on the "close" weapon group from the fighter. Of course, you will be able to use all those weapons with the brawler's flurry ability.

That's pretty specific, but it's phrased like the change hasn't taken place yet. My wife just built a PFS brawler; should she make adjustments based on this, or wait until it becomes more "official"?

Another example:

Slayer wrote:
We are also looking at bringing the class up to 6 skill ranks per level (it currently has 4 per level).

So how many skill ranks does my PFS slayer have right now?

Thanks in advance for clarification. :)

Until the new playtest document is released, I imagine you should go with what's in the current document. I might be wrong here, but since this is an ongoing process, I'm fairly certain Paizo would like as much feedback as possible, even about things they consider changing.
I agree. I'd wait to change anything til the new doc comes out, unless Mike or John state otherwise.
Actually, go with any updates posted in the first post of the stickied class articles in the class discussion area of the playtest forums. Jason has been updating those with official errata.

Yes, sorry, this. However, I would still ignore the blog post unless he puts this stuff into the stickied posts in the playtest forum or updates the doc.


Malwing wrote:
Virgil Firecask wrote:
BetaSprite wrote:
For the Shaman, I'm concerned about the loss of the necromancy spells from the cleric list. My Bones Shaman pretty much required access to those spells to fit, and the druid spell list is lacking in undead creation and necromantic abilities.
Would the witch spell list be a decent middle ground?

I personally think the Witch list fits the most, especially since I imagine that they have similar sources of power. (non-deity otherworldly hex granters.)

Second would be Druid list because I think Shaman could lean into animism.

What's mechanically better I don't know.

Actually, thinking on it, the witch list might be bad for the pure fact that witches are arcane... which would put the witch list as both divine and arcane if shaman were a divine version of that. That might open weird interactions involving things like mystic theurge or something similar.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

godsDMit wrote:
Virgil Firecask wrote:
godsDMit wrote:
Heine Stick wrote:
Jiggy wrote:

Okay, question about playtest classes in PFS. Some of the updates in this blog are phrased a bit tentatively, but also specifically. So for PFS characters using the playtest classes, exactly what should we apply?

For example:

Brawler wrote:
We are also going to change up the brawlers weapon list, giving it all simple weapons, plus any weapon on the "close" weapon group from the fighter. Of course, you will be able to use all those weapons with the brawler's flurry ability.

That's pretty specific, but it's phrased like the change hasn't taken place yet. My wife just built a PFS brawler; should she make adjustments based on this, or wait until it becomes more "official"?

Another example:

Slayer wrote:
We are also looking at bringing the class up to 6 skill ranks per level (it currently has 4 per level).

So how many skill ranks does my PFS slayer have right now?

Thanks in advance for clarification. :)

Until the new playtest document is released, I imagine you should go with what's in the current document. I might be wrong here, but since this is an ongoing process, I'm fairly certain Paizo would like as much feedback as possible, even about things they consider changing.
I agree. I'd wait to change anything til the new doc comes out, unless Mike or John state otherwise.
Actually, go with any updates posted in the first post of the stickied class articles in the class discussion area of the playtest forums. Jason has been updating those with official errata.
Yes, sorry, this. However, I would still ignore the blog post unless he puts this stuff into the stickied posts in the playtest forum or updates the doc.

Yeah, I didn't feel like Additional Resources was very clear, but what you guys are saying sounds safe.


Virgil Firecask wrote:
Malwing wrote:
Virgil Firecask wrote:
BetaSprite wrote:
For the Shaman, I'm concerned about the loss of the necromancy spells from the cleric list. My Bones Shaman pretty much required access to those spells to fit, and the druid spell list is lacking in undead creation and necromantic abilities.
Would the witch spell list be a decent middle ground?

I personally think the Witch list fits the most, especially since I imagine that they have similar sources of power. (non-deity otherworldly hex granters.)

Second would be Druid list because I think Shaman could lean into animism.

What's mechanically better I don't know.

Actually, thinking on it, the witch list might be bad for the pure fact that witches are arcane... which would put the witch list as both divine and arcane if shaman were a divine version of that. That might open weird interactions involving things like mystic theurge or something similar.

I think palette swapping an arcane list to divine works out. The witch and Bard cast arcane spells that are often on divine caster lists, so it's less of the list that's arcane and more of the source.

That does bring up the question 'Should the Shaman be divine?' I mean granting divine spells is leaning into Deity territory. Are Spirits Diet Deities or are they some other kind of cosmic beings. With witch I was under the impression that whatever their Patron was was not a Deity in the traditional sense so granted arcane spells but because they were incarnations of some sort they granted spells that were traditionally divine as arcane spells. It would help if we had some relative idea on where Patrons and Spirits fits into planar cosmology.


8 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I still think that the Investigator should lose sneak attack in exchange for an ability that let's you observe your enemy, and make studied attacks :)

Dark Archive

Kind of unfortunate to see warpriests possibly losing channel, but it will at least fix their MAD problem. Overall I like what I've seen for all the classes, here in this blog post.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tirisfal wrote:
I still think that the Investigator should lose sneak attack in exchange for an ability that let's you observe your enemy, and make studied attacks :)

What if the Investigator could use his inspiration dice on damage rolls?


Tirisfal wrote:
I still think that the Investigator should lose sneak attack in exchange for an ability that let's you observe your enemy, and make studied attacks :)

Sounds like you want the slayer's Favored Target.

Shadow Lodge

Tels wrote:
Tirisfal wrote:
I still think that the Investigator should lose sneak attack in exchange for an ability that let's you observe your enemy, and make studied attacks :)
Sounds like you want the slayer's Favored Target.

Or a variant of Assassin's Death Attack.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Beard wrote:
Kind of unfortunate to see warpriests possibly losing channel, but it will at least fix their MAD problem. Overall I like what I've seen for all the classes, here in this blog post.

I support dropping channel for Warpriests. It's meager enough on a full Cleric; the reduced version on Warpriests is barely worth even considering. Dropping it helps make Warpriests less MAD, and frees up room for other abilities that better contribute to their more martial role.


The idea of the new Arcanist is really great. He may become the most interesting arcane class yet.

Investigators should keep the precision damage. If not sneak attack some other significant non magic bonus. Something in line with the recent Sherlock Holmes movies.

I would keep the cleric list for the shaman.


Tirisfal wrote:
I still think that the Investigator should lose sneak attack in exchange for an ability that let's you observe your enemy, and make studied attacks :)

So, Favored Target?


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules Subscriber

Well I like most of the changes I strongly disagreed with Shaman origionaly being based off the cleric list and have said that the witch list is a better choice. Druid spell list is better but still a mistake, the witch spell list is the best choice in my opinion.


Orthos wrote:
Tels wrote:
Tirisfal wrote:
I still think that the Investigator should lose sneak attack in exchange for an ability that let's you observe your enemy, and make studied attacks :)
Sounds like you want the slayer's Favored Target.
Or a variant of Assassin's Death Attack.

That version of Sherlock Holmes, I think, is more Brawler, than Investigator. At least in that scene.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Tels wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Tels wrote:
Tirisfal wrote:
I still think that the Investigator should lose sneak attack in exchange for an ability that let's you observe your enemy, and make studied attacks :)
Sounds like you want the slayer's Favored Target.
Or a variant of Assassin's Death Attack.
That version of Sherlock Holmes, I think, is more Brawler, than Investigator. At least in that scene.

Multi-class Brawler/Investigators are allowable. :-)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Orthos wrote:
Tels wrote:
Tirisfal wrote:
I still think that the Investigator should lose sneak attack in exchange for an ability that let's you observe your enemy, and make studied attacks :)
Sounds like you want the slayer's Favored Target.
Or a variant of Assassin's Death Attack.

That's what I'm thinking - observe the target for a turn or two, and then add your inspiration bonus to your attack roll.

Liberty's Edge

I like almost all of these changes.

And I LOVE what is envisioned for the Hunter, the Swashbuckler and the Warpriest.

Great job, everyone !!!

Erik Ingersen wrote:
Tirisfal wrote:
I still think that the Investigator should lose sneak attack in exchange for an ability that let's you observe your enemy, and make studied attacks :)
What if the Investigator could use his inspiration dice on damage rolls?

This sounds great actually (or at least evocative) :-)


Tirisfal wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Tels wrote:
Tirisfal wrote:
I still think that the Investigator should lose sneak attack in exchange for an ability that let's you observe your enemy, and make studied attacks :)
Sounds like you want the slayer's Favored Target.
Or a variant of Assassin's Death Attack.
That's what I'm thinking - observe the target for a turn or two, and then add your inspiration bonus to your attack roll.

They already can... -_-

Investigator wrote:
Inspiration can also be used on attack rolls and saving throws, though at the cost of expending two uses of inspiration from the investigator’s pool. In the case of saving throws, using inspiration is an immediate action rather than a free action.

They can also select the following talents:

Amazing Inspiration (Ex): When using inspiration, the investigator rolls a d8 instead of d6. At 20th level, the investigator rolls 2d8 and adds both dice to the result. An investigator must be at least 7th level to select this investigator talent.

Combat Inspiration (Ex): When an investigator uses inspiration on an attack roll or saving throw, he expends one use of inspiration instead of two. An investigator must be at least 9th level to select this investigator talent.

1 to 50 of 211 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Older Products / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Advanced Class Guide Playtest / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Playtest Thoughts: Week 1 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.


©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.