Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Archerfeast

Monday, July 2, 2012

Back in January, when I learned that PaizoCon was the first week of July, I knew we would be tying Archerfeast into the Grand Convocation somehow. The fact that Archerfeast falls on Erastus 3rd on Golarion made for a perfect fit for today's Pathfinder Society blog post.

Managing Editor, F. Wesley Schneider, wrote the description below detailing Archerfeast, and beneath that you'll find a special Pathfinder Society Chronicle sheet you can download and apply to a Pathfinder Society character. Archerfeast is mentioned on page 249 of Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Inner Sea World Guide.

Across Avistan, few festival days are as anticipated or celebrated as widely as Archerfeast. Despite the holiday's origins in the worship of Erastil, common countryfolk from the Lands of the Linnorm Kings to Taldor celebrate the height of summer with a day set aside for establishing new relationships, enjoying current camaraderie, and celebrating the gifts of the gods.

While the festival's traditions emphasize contests of marksmanship—still a prominent part of any Archerfeast celebration—most have expanded to exhibit talents of all types, from baking and storytelling to racing and mock combat. Aside from encouraging a fair-like atmosphere, many of the displays and competitions serve one of two secondary purposes: either as a way for merchants to show off their superior livestock and wares, or—more popularly—as a way for eligible men and women to show off to each other.

While the day's events at most Archerfeast fairs are filled with games, food, and crafts, the night brings dancing, drinking, pranks, and the crowning of the princes and princesses of spring and summer for the two single youths and two single adults who faired best in the day's events. The festivities continue late into the evening, but end promptly at midnight, so that—in true Erastilian fashion—the next day's responsibilities are not overly impeded. For those not of Erastil's flock, however, private parties, drinking, and trysting carry on long into the next morning.

Click here to download the Archerfeast 4712 Boon! - 119 KB (zip/PDF) This Boon is no longer available as of 7/23/12.

Mike Brock
Pathfinder Society Campaign Coordinator

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Pathfinder Society
Shadow Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Michigan—Alma

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thanks Mike! I was really hoping that there'd be a holiday boon this month. I'll make sure to spread the word around here.

Silver Crusade ****

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Cool! I'll be bringing some of these to the Detroit gaming event this weekend!

Shadow Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Washington—Eastern Washington aka WalterGM

Awesome work, as always. And of course, I have a query. Is the second section intended to be granted and used when the boon is handed out? Otherwise, the text is slightly confusing.

Andoran *****

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

Will you have these on hand for us GMs to give out during PaizoCon or should I bring my own to give out?

Silver Crusade ****

I just looked over the boon itself. That's a nifty boon. Not overpowering, but a nice little bonus.

Grand Lodge ** RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Daniel Luckett wrote:
I just looked over the boon itself. That's a nifty boon. Not overpowering, but a nice little bonus.

Care to indulge those of us who can't see it until getting home from work in a few hours?

Silver Crusade **

Jiggy wrote:
Daniel Luckett wrote:
I just looked over the boon itself. That's a nifty boon. Not overpowering, but a nice little bonus.
Care to indulge those of us who can't see it until getting home from work in a few hours?

Swift action, give yourself and an ally a +1 on attack rolls, skill checks, and saves for 1d4+1 rounds. If either of you roll a nat 20, extend it for one round.

Also has a pair of smaller boons, choose one. Gain a penalty against tiredness, but a bonus against spells with the emotion descriptor, or you can just gain a bonus against sleep spells.

All in all, quite nifty.

Grand Lodge ** RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Nice!

Paizo Employee ***** Global Organized Play Coordinator

Walter Sheppard wrote:
Awesome work, as always. And of course, I have a query. Is the second section intended to be granted and used when the boon is handed out? Otherwise, the text is slightly confusing.

Yes, second section is to be chosen when handed out but can be saved for use whenever.

Paizo Employee ***** Global Organized Play Coordinator

Dragnmoon wrote:
Will you have these on hand for us GMs to give out during PaizoCon or should I bring my own to give out?

I will have these available during the Grand Convocation for the side event of Archerfeast. Otherwise, you will need to bring your own if you wish to issue them to players in games you GM.

Shadow Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Washington—Eastern Washington aka WalterGM

Michael Brock wrote:
Walter Sheppard wrote:
Awesome work, as always. And of course, I have a query. Is the second section intended to be granted and used when the boon is handed out? Otherwise, the text is slightly confusing.
Yes, second section is to be chosen when handed out but can be saved for use whenever.

You, sir, are the man. Carry on.

*

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Very, very cool. Thanks, Mike!

Grand Lodge *

Is there some reason this isn't available for the entire month?

Our PFS group meets monthly, usually on the last weekend of the month. Because of this, we have missed out on a lot of the boons since they only run through the third week of the month for some reason.

Can you extend these cover the entire month so that groups that meet monthly late in the month can also enjoy it? I'm sure the dozen or so regular players we have would appreciate it.

Osirion

Absolutely, truly, indellibly cool.

Narl ... I don't know the Golarion calendar that well, but, I can't help but wonder if it has anything to do with the length of the in-game months?
[Edit: Nope ... NVM. I just checked and that doesn't seem to be it. 12 months, 30 or 31 days. Hmm. Odd, that. I'll be interested to hear why it's only 23 days long, too.]

Grand Lodge **** Venture-Captain, Texas—Houston aka Arutema

This is going to be fun. I'm running

Spoiler:
Among the Gods
tonight. I plan on giving them the boon in advance and seeing how may of them end up sabotaging themselves on the many fatigue saves that adventure requires.

*****

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Was this blog post written before Wes got promoted?

Grand Lodge *****

Narl wrote:

Is there some reason this isn't available for the entire month?

Our PFS group meets monthly, usually on the last weekend of the month. Because of this, we have missed out on a lot of the boons since they only run through the third week of the month for some reason.

Can you extend these cover the entire month so that groups that meet monthly late in the month can also enjoy it? I'm sure the dozen or so regular players we have would appreciate it.

This was explained in an earlier Holiday boon thread.

Basically, the idea is to get folks to play more often. Most everyone plays once a month anyhow. By making the boon only available for 3 weeks those players may need to find another game in order to earn the boon.

Also, since you can apply this boon to any of your PCs just by playing that PC during the window of opportunity, it encourages players to play more than one PC in that time.

And it's good for GMs too since every game they run during that window is another boon they can apply to one of their PCs that doesn't already have it.

Shadow Lodge ** Venture-Lieutenant, California—Silicon Valley aka JohnF

There's what might be an inconsistency in the second part of the boon.
The first option there affects "saving throws against sleep effects that would make you fatigued or exhausted", while the second option talks about "saving throws against sleep effects or effects that would make you fatigued or exhausted" (emphasis added by me). I'd expect both options to have the same qualifiers.

***** Venture-Lieutenant, Illinois—Carbondale aka Disturbed1

Don Walker wrote:

Also, since you can apply this boon to any of your PCs just by playing that PC during the window of opportunity, it encourages players to play more than one PC in that time.

And it's good for GMs too since every game they run during that window is another boon they can apply to one of their PCs that doesn't already have it.

I was under the impression you could only get the boon once per holiday. Guess I'm going to have to get this straightened out before our next game day, lol.

Andoran *

Sleep effects that cause fatigue and exhaustion? Spells with the emotion descriptor?

I'm not one of the encyclopedic knowledge type players....what effects and spells have the qualities?

Paizo Employee ** Developer

Howie23 wrote:

Sleep effects that cause fatigue and exhaustion? Spells with the emotion descriptor?

I'm not one of the encyclopedic knowledge type players....what effects and spells have the qualities?

Note that it's sleep effects or effects that cause the fatigued or exhausted conditions. So spells like sleep or deep slumber fall into the first category, and something like touch of fatigue or waves of exhaustion would fall into the latter. As for spells with the emotion descriptor, that's any spell with the emotion descriptor include such spells as joyful rapture and serenity and can be discerned by the fact that they have the emotion descriptor in their School entry.

Andoran *

Ah, thanks, I guess I read it too quickly.

Emotion...guess I haven't kept up on the new descriptors. Thanks.

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Question from a new PFS GM - I'm running "First Steps Part I" for new players in a few days. Can this be given to them before that game, or only after/during?

Thanks very much!

Silver Crusade **

You can give it out before the game and have it apply to that session.

Shadow Lodge ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Thanks!

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Society® / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Archerfeast All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.