Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Preview: Player Character Folio

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Now that the Advanced Race Guide is just about ready to ship out to subscribers and stores everywhere, it's time to take a look at another product that is due to release very soon, one that will give you a great new way to record your new dhamphir bard!

The Player Character Folio is 16 pages of character sheet glory, containing spots for you to record not just your vital statistics and gear, but things like your family history, adventure record, and how many dragons you've slain. Normally, we would just put up some artwork from the product, but the Player Character Folio has a few tricks inside, so we thought it best to show off a few photos of the actual folio.

As you can see, when you open the folio, it's got a two-panel cover that opens to reveal a folder pocket with some handy reference tables and your main page, which contains all of your vital statistics. We designed it this way so that these numbers would always be available to you during play, no matter what page you happen to be on.

Here you can see the first spread of the folio, which is naturally dedicated to combat. Of course, all of your vital statistics are still at your disposal.

Here is a closer look at that vital statistics panel, open to the page for spellcasters to record their important information.

Record all of your vital background info on this spread, including a map of your hideout and a character sketch!

Finally, we give you all the room you need to record the gear carried and worn by your character. Of course, there are a number of other spreads in this book, including my personal favorite, in which you can record the various achievements you have accomplished during play, but if you want to see that list, you'll have to wait for the Player Character Folio to hit store shelves in July.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
1 to 50 of 66 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Are there multiple copies of the basic character sheet for when you level up and need to change saves, HP, BAB, etc.?


5 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm not sure I get what this product is for. $10 for 16 pages of character information? I assume the pages can only be used once so what happens when the character dies at 2nd level, or 5th, or 10th? Do you just throw it out and buy another one for the next character?

Maybe my group is playing a different game but we usually have many PC deaths through the course of an AP and once the AP is finished the surviving characters are retired (thrown out) anyway and we start again from 1st level. In addition we are always looking to get the 2 page character sheets we use now down to one --not up to 16!


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Looks freaking sweet

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I second the above comment. Still, it would be nice to have something like this for my favourite characters in various campaigns. I'd look into laminating one of these.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
the Haunted Jester wrote:
Are there multiple copies of the basic character sheet for when you level up and need to change saves, HP, BAB, etc.?

Pencil, man!

I can't wait to put my Skull & Shackles character into this thing!


Looks very nice! I'll definitely be getting a PDF of this (assuming it will be available in PDF version), as well as a physical copy :)

Paizo Employee Lead Designer

I should note that all the pages are uncoated, which means that you can use a pencil, erase, and rewrite as your character gains levels.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

Cheliax

Is there a pdf version

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

For me what sold me was the home/base hex grid they give you at the end of the background, up until then everything else they've shown was on sheets i was currently using but that, that's just cool.

Andoran

This was the biggest surprise of all the products we're getting this year, and I think the one I'm most looking forward to. I may not get one for every character I play, but I certainly plan on getting at least one.

Sczarni

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Can the sheets be pulled out and photocopied? I am honestly a poor player (though you wouldn't know it by all the stuff I buy,) and being able to buy once and copy it over and over again would be a huge selling point. If I can't do that, I won't buy it and just stick to what I have now.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Is the same subscription line as the actual rulebooks the best placement for this product? A single accessory product like this isn't worth the hassle of suspending my subscription for 1 month, but I hope this doesn't become a trend.

My 2 cp: Regardless of how thoughtful the actual design is, products like this provide significantly less value compared to rulebooks because large sections of the customer base may have no need/use for them at all. PbP/Online groups are unlikely to use printed or PDF character profiles. Also, if a local group uses any sort of character generation software, they're more likely to simply use the character sheets it exports rather than manually transcribing such data.

Taldor

$10 bucks for a character you're likely playing for at least a year is well worth it. I mean our Carrion Crown game just began Wake of the Watcher (module 4) and its our 23rd session! If you have PC A.D.D. this may not be the product for you, but I know when I play & die I get raised or at least reincarnated ASAP!

--Vrock, Paper, Scissors


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

To be clear, my objection isn't over the viability of the product itself or it's price. My concern is over its inclusion in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscription. IMO that line should be reserved for actual reference materials that expand the game itself, not accessories and game aids.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Jason Bulmahn wrote:
I should note that all the pages are uncoated, which means that you can use a pencil, erase, and rewrite as your character gains levels.

Having seen what some of my players do to their character sheets with a simple pencil and repeated erasing (I've seen holes rubbed in the paper from erasing), this is probably not the product for them. Just erase and rewrite doesn't necessarily mean that the paper will hold up long term.

Cheliax

1 person marked this as a favorite.

My Age of Worms group is almost finished and I think I might buy them all one at the end to have, since three out of the original four have survived it. So far....

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Laithoron wrote:
To be clear, my objection isn't over the viability of the product itself or it's price. My concern is over its inclusion in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscription. IMO that line should be reserved for actual reference materials that expand the game itself, not accessories and game aids.

From the beginning, we've stated that that line is likely to include something each year that's not a book: so far, that's been the GM screen, the Beginner Box, and this. (I realize that you're saying you don't *like* that; I'm just trying to make it clear that we've been upfront about what this line includes.)

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

4 people marked this as a favorite.
CalebTGordan wrote:
Can the sheets be pulled out and photocopied?

It's bound with staples, so that's easy enough to do. We will also have it available as a PDF.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16, 2012 Top 32

12 people marked this as a favorite.
King of Vrock wrote:
$10 bucks for a character you're likely playing for at least a year is well worth it.

Player Character Portfolio: $10.

Being able to say your character sheet has its own table of contents: priceless.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Admittedly, when I first heard about this product, I was unexcited. The idea of a character sheet folio didn't strike me as something I would find all that useful (especially since i usually GM for my group).

However, the more I see of this product, the more I like it. Putting in the RPG is really the only place it makes any sense. The fact that it's part of the subscription basically means that for the price of a PDF, I'll get a hardcopy. I might never use the hardcopy, but I'll likely get some use from the PDF version.

-Skeld


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Oh, boy! Now I can have even MORE paper to frantically sort through while trying to find that one bit of information I need so that play can proceed!

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It shouldn't be forgotten that anyone with a subscription can print the PDF copy as many times as they need to. That alone should makes the price worthwhile.

I personally will probably save the hard copy for my next Pathfinder Society character.

Sczarni

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
CalebTGordan wrote:
Can the sheets be pulled out and photocopied?
It's bound with staples, so that's easy enough to do. We will also have it available as a PDF.

Consider it bought by me.


I see this being an extremely useful PDF and completely useless physical book, at least for my personal use.


Filby Pott wrote:
I see this being an extremely useful PDF and completely useless physical book, at least for my personal use.

I agree with this. I'll probably be getting the .pdf, but give the hard copy a miss.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Filby Pott wrote:
I see this being an extremely useful PDF and completely useless physical book, at least for my personal use.

I'll give you three good selling points for the print version:

1. Your PDF printouts won't have pockets to store stuff (handouts, item card sheets, etc.)
2. Those gatefolds will be tricky to deal with for most people printing PDFs
3. The cover's thicker stock and gatefolds allow this to stand up and function like a GM screen for players. I put that last because it's not appropriate for every gaming table, but for some of you, that will be a very big deal.

I really think that this is a product that a lot of people won't fully understand the value of until they actually try to use it. And then they'll want one for every character they run.

Paizo Employee Webstore Gninja Minion

5 people marked this as a favorite.
werewolfpaladin wrote:
Jason Bulmahn wrote:
I should note that all the pages are uncoated, which means that you can use a pencil, erase, and rewrite as your character gains levels.
Having seen what some of my players do to their character sheets with a simple pencil and repeated erasing (I've seen holes rubbed in the paper from erasing), this is probably not the product for them. Just erase and rewrite doesn't necessarily mean that the paper will hold up long term.

What I've done in the past is used the Scotch tape that has a matte finish and put it over areas that are frequently erased. With a decent pencil (and eraser), the tape is pretty durable and can be erased and re-used without damaging the paper underneath.


Liz Courts wrote:
werewolfpaladin wrote:
Jason Bulmahn wrote:
I should note that all the pages are uncoated, which means that you can use a pencil, erase, and rewrite as your character gains levels.
Having seen what some of my players do to their character sheets with a simple pencil and repeated erasing (I've seen holes rubbed in the paper from erasing), this is probably not the product for them. Just erase and rewrite doesn't necessarily mean that the paper will hold up long term.
What I've done in the past is used the Scotch tape that has a matte finish and put it over areas that are frequently erased. With a decent pencil (and eraser), the tape is pretty durable and can be erased and re-used without damaging the paper underneath.

That's really super clever. I'll have to try that.


Liz Courts wrote:
werewolfpaladin wrote:
Jason Bulmahn wrote:
I should note that all the pages are uncoated, which means that you can use a pencil, erase, and rewrite as your character gains levels.
Having seen what some of my players do to their character sheets with a simple pencil and repeated erasing (I've seen holes rubbed in the paper from erasing), this is probably not the product for them. Just erase and rewrite doesn't necessarily mean that the paper will hold up long term.
What I've done in the past is used the Scotch tape that has a matte finish and put it over areas that are frequently erased. With a decent pencil (and eraser), the tape is pretty durable and can be erased and re-used without damaging the paper underneath.

Scotch tape also holds dry erase markers well. I liked the dry erase markers so much after a while of doing that that I now keep my character sheets in plastic protectors and just write the static portions in with pencil on the sheet, and anything else on the protector with a dry erase marker.


Give me a PDF version of this with auto-fill (à la the Modified Neceros' Character Sheet) and I would be pleased as punch.


I would love to see HeroLab produce something like this ;) While I would like to get one for each of my family (as all four of us play Pathfinder), I still use HeroLab for my main character sheet :)


werewolfpaladin wrote:
Jason Bulmahn wrote:
I should note that all the pages are uncoated, which means that you can use a pencil, erase, and rewrite as your character gains levels.
Having seen what some of my players do to their character sheets with a simple pencil and repeated erasing (I've seen holes rubbed in the paper from erasing), this is probably not the product for them. Just erase and rewrite doesn't necessarily mean that the paper will hold up long term.

A trick my exwife used was to put scotch tape over the parts that are erased often. You can still use pencil on it and erase with ease.

I used to put the character sheets into sleeves and use dry erase markers to keep track of things that change often. Worked great. I don't think it would work with this unless you tear the pages out.


Vic Wertz wrote:
Laithoron wrote:
To be clear, my objection isn't over the viability of the product itself or it's price. My concern is over its inclusion in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscription. IMO that line should be reserved for actual reference materials that expand the game itself, not accessories and game aids.
From the beginning, we've stated that that line is likely to include something each year that's not a book: so far, that's been the GM screen, the Beginner Box, and this. (I realize that you're saying you don't *like* that; I'm just trying to make it clear that we've been upfront about what this line includes.)

How do I NOT get this item? I.E. when should I cancel my subscription and then reup my subscription after this blows over?

Andoran

I may buy a copy sometimes, but more likely I'll buy and use a PDF copy more often. I rarely get to play so when I do and finally retire a character I like to have a permanent record of it along with my journals so I can revisit that character's adventures sometimes.


Pathfinder Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I, and I think many others, would pay $10 for a PDF version of it if it were form fillable. Even if it doesn't have the auto-fill in that Neceseros (sp?) sheet has, just the ability to type it in on a computer and print it out would be super. As it is, I'll not suspend my subscription to skip it, but I will not likely use it at all.


I used to buy Green Ronin's character folios in the early days of 3e/3.5, but my characters die so often, and we have a lot of trouble keeping certain campaigns going very long, that I honestly just stopped buying them. And they were only $4 each(basic black and white pages).

My group actually has a few superstitions that arose from things like this. For example, the moment you custom paint a mini for your character, your character is doomed to die either that session, or at least very soon. Same with taking the time to fill out a folio; it's sort of like tattooing your girl/boyfriend's name on your arm.

Superstitions aside, however, this folio looks very, very nice. If I were in a campaign that I foresaw myself playing long term, I would definitely consider buying one.


Pathfinder Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Another option is to pull the interior sheets out, laminate them, and use wet erase markers. Still keeps the pocket, but the sheets are reusable with a wet paper towel.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
mdt wrote:
...just the ability to type it in on a computer and print it out would be super.

I did the following for my players in the Star Wars SE campaign we played through a couple years ago:

1) Get a blank PDF of the character sheet.
2) Use Acrobat to take a high-resolution picture of the entire page.
3) Paste it into Power Point (or similar, I actually used OpenOffice).
4) Draw invisible boxes in the form blanks and set the fonts, etc.
5) Update the text/numbers as needed and print.

It worked out ok. I would've preferred an auto-fill, but I don't have the time/energy to learn the technical side of doing such a thing. I would imagine you can do something similar with this PDF. Also, you might be able to put the image into Excel and use it to, at least, auto-fill some of the math for you.

-Skeld


Pathfinder Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Skeld wrote:
Suggestions...

The problem is, by the time I go to all that work, why would I not just use the existing form fillable one that was done by someone in the community? It's not ugly, or hap-hazard, and it does all that for me.

The advantage of this one is all the stuff you can fill out. If I have to do it by hand and erase and ruin it with erasing... I can just use the one I have without all the effort. If it was form fillable (not auto-fill, just let me type in stuff) then it's useful.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber
mdt wrote:
I, and I think many others, would pay $10 for a PDF version of it if it were form fillable. Even if it doesn't have the auto-fill in that Neceseros (sp?) sheet has, just the ability to type it in on a computer and print it out would be super. As it is, I'll not suspend my subscription to skip it, but I will not likely use it at all.

How about I give you $10 for it and we have the Paizonians ship it to me instead? You *make* $1.50 that way :)

Edit: AND still get the benefits of the PDF!

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
mdt wrote:
Skeld wrote:
Suggestions...
More stuff.

I understand. SWSE was a little different than PF in the sense that the player community wasn't as large, not as well supported, and there were no official electronic character builders or other products (because if the IP in question).

-Skeld

Osirion

Epic Meepo wrote:
King of Vrock wrote:
$10 bucks for a character you're likely playing for at least a year is well worth it.

Player Character Portfolio: $10.

Being able to say your character sheet has its own table of contents: priceless.

I love this! Frankly, my group loses someone's character sheet about every week ... something like this that is more hefty and easily shelve-able with the books (without sticking them inside the cover for days on end) is exactly what I want!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
gbonehead wrote:
mdt wrote:
I, and I think many others, would pay $10 for a PDF version of it if it were form fillable. Even if it doesn't have the auto-fill in that Neceseros (sp?) sheet has, just the ability to type it in on a computer and print it out would be super. As it is, I'll not suspend my subscription to skip it, but I will not likely use it at all.

How about I give you $10 for it and we have the Paizonians ship it to me instead? You *make* $1.50 that way :)

Edit: AND still get the benefits of the PDF!

But.. but... but... then my shelf will have an empty spot on it and my collection will not be complete!


Josh M. wrote:
I used to buy Green Ronin's character folios in the early days of 3e/3.5, but my characters die so often, and we have a lot of trouble keeping certain campaigns going very long, that I honestly just stopped buying them. And they were only $4 each(basic black and white pages).

I've seen lots of advertisements for fancy character sheets over the years, but I always thought they were kind of a dud product. Maybe not, but they never seemed to be flying off the shelves when I visited my local game store.


I reprint new sheets for my characters every four levels or so. Would not use.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Epervier wrote:

How do I NOT get this item? I.E. when should I cancel my subscription and then reup my subscription after this blows over?

Once you get the notice that your copy of the Advanced Race Guide has shipped, drop customer.service@paizo.com a note. Then just make sure you resubscribe after the Folio ships in July; Ultimate Equipment is due in early August.

Taldor

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Just to be sure, will this be shipped as a book, or a game accessory? If the latter, I might skip this one for the same reason I skipped the Beginner's Box; I don't want to pay more in import duty and handling fees than I pay for the product itself.


Skeld wrote:
mdt wrote:
...just the ability to type it in on a computer and print it out would be super.

I did the following for my players in the Star Wars SE campaign we played through a couple years ago:

1) Get a blank PDF of the character sheet.
2) Use Acrobat to take a high-resolution picture of the entire page.
3) Paste it into Power Point (or similar, I actually used OpenOffice).
4) Draw invisible boxes in the form blanks and set the fonts, etc.
5) Update the text/numbers as needed and print.

It worked out ok. I would've preferred an auto-fill, but I don't have the time/energy to learn the technical side of doing such a thing. I would imagine you can do something similar with this PDF. Also, you might be able to put the image into Excel and use it to, at least, auto-fill some of the math for you.

-Skeld

Skitch or PDFPenPro would also be really great ways to do this.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Calixymenthillian wrote:
Just to be sure, will this be shipped as a book, or a game accessory? If the latter, I might skip this one for the same reason I skipped the Beginner's Box; I don't want to pay more in import duty and handling fees than I pay for the product itself.

It's defined as a book for customs purposes (and counts as Bound Printed Matter for shipping purposes). If you're in a country where it takes a minimum weight to trigger the attention of Customs, this one only weighs about 4 ounces.

1 to 50 of 66 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Preview: Player Character Folio All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.