Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

A Preview of the Grand Convocation

Monday, May 21, 2012

There are always interesting things taking place in the Pathfinder Society. Take, for example, this message that has been sent out to Pathfinders across Golarion...


Amara Li—Lantern Lodge Leader

Pathfinder,

We hope this message finds you in good health, wherever you are operating from.

This year has seen the Society endure many hardships alongside equal victories. Our achievements in the Ruby Phoenix Tournament have not gone unrewarded, and even now, agents like you are taking on dangerous journeys as a result of our spoils. As these missions come to an end, we look to the new year as new opportunities and challenges face the Pathfinder Society.

In preparation, we invite you, our most prized agents, to attend this year’s Grand Convocation. As it takes place on the grounds of the Grand Lodge in Absalom, you should all know of our yearly gathering. It is here where the best of our agents come to trade tales of their exploits, partake in feats of strength, knowledge, and guile, or even venture off the grounds and take part in specialty missions on our behalf.

Though it has not yet been made public knowledge, we also wish to keep you apprised of a recent development here in Absalom. A member of the esteemed Blakros family, Michellia Blakros, requested the hand of Andoran Major Colson Maldris in marriage. As many of you may be aware, while not a member of the Society, Major Maldris is a sponsor of many Pathfinders and a great ally of our organization. As a complication, the major has opted to reject Michellia’s proposition, unwilling to surrender his name and rank as would be required.


Guaril Karela—Sczarni Faction Leader

The actions of Major Maldris have had dire consequences for our relations with the Blakros family. The Decemvirate agrees that this divide must be mended, and as such we have taken the unique step of inviting the Blakros family to this year’s convocation. It is our hope that Pathfinders such as you will attend this year’s gathering and assist the Society in mending this potentially disastrous divide between our organization and the Blakros family.

As always, your continued efforts are appreciated.


Venture-Captain Ambrus Valsin
Grand Lodge, Absalom


Clearly the other factions are already looking to capitalize on Major Maldris’s rejection of a Blakros offer, so this is gearing up to be a Grand Convocation to remember at both PaizoCon and PaizoCon UK!

If you’re interested in attending the event, make sure you’re registered for PaizoCon 2012 or Paizo Con UK 2012! Registration is coming soon and we plan on keeping Pathfinders (both those in attendance and those off on assignment) up to date on all information up to and following the event.

For Pathfinders looking to research all the related backstory to this year’s convocation, it would be best to read up on the effects of strange monkey idols, ancient curses left by astronomers, and why contracts are important.

So, to sum it all up:

The Grand Convocation is a yearly gathering held by the Pathfinder Society to bring together the best of Pathfinders from across the globe. Taking place on the grounds of the Grand Lodge in Absalom, the convocation is an event where Pathfinders can get together and exchange tales, take part in feats of strength and guile, or be recruited for specialized missions. This year, the event is being honored by the presence of the esteemed Blakros family as well as various other prestigious people from across the Inner Sea, promising to be a convocation to remember!

Expect to see the following:

  • Tailored Quests (45-minute to 1.5-hour mini-scenarios)
  • Special Side Events (approximately 15 minutes per event)
  • Pathfinder Social (A place for people to take part in live-action events)
  • Faction Objectives
  • And more!

The PaizoCon Grand Convocation 2012 is a Pathfinder Special open to characters of all levels—including those retired characters of 12th level or higher—that will have a direct influence on certain plot points of Season 4, the Year of the Risen Rune.

Mike Brock
Pathfinder Society Campaign Coordinator

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Conventions PaizoCon Pathfinder Society
1 to 50 of 55 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Developer

Here's the promised info for those wondering what this morning's email was about.

Sczarni

Well, isn't this something... :)


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

This sounds totally awesome!

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

When I saw the other blog post this morning, I thought "Crap, no PFS blog today." But I'm glad that wasn't the case. I look forward to hearing more.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

As cool as it is, I am Sad it's a paizocon(as i can't attend) thing.

Osirion

Holy Crud,Batman!
PFS LARPing? Imnotentirely certain lei should eels out this.

  • I would love an excuse to buy an "Osiriani" headdress thingy ... and it might be grand fun to wear an "egyptian" costume ...
  • But still, it's LARPing.

I've never tried it, really, but who knows, it might be fun. Is there a link toPaizoCon info yet? I know there's no registration, but all I can find is for PaizoCon from years past.

Grand Lodge

W. Kristoph Nolen wrote:


I've never tried it, really, but who knows, it might be fun. Is there a link toPaizoCon info yet? Iknowtheresnoregistration, but all I can find is for PaizoCon from years past.

There's a link right in the blog post:

Paizo Blog wrote:
Clearly the other factions are already looking to capitalize on Major Maldris’s rejection of a Blakros offer, so this is gearing up to be a Grand Convocation to remember at both PaizoCon and PaizoCon UK!

Also, the big "Paizocon 2012" button on the left side of the page.

Taldor

I just hope that there isn't an infestation of changelings. That could be dangerous!

Coll that there is going to be what sounds to be a very fun interactive. Hope people get to enjoy it to the fullest. :)

Osirion

Jon Cary wrote:
W. Kristoph Nolen wrote:


I've never tried it, really, but who knows, it might be fun. Is there a link toPaizoCon info yet? Iknowtheresnoregistration, but all I can find is for PaizoCon from years past.

There's a link right in the blog post:

Paizo Blog wrote:
Clearly the other factions are already looking to capitalize on Major Maldris’s rejection of a Blakros offer, so this is gearing up to be a Grand Convocation to remember at both PaizoCon and PaizoCon UK!
Also, the big "Paizocon 2012" button on the left side of the page.

Wow ... odd, that link's not showing in my browser, although the text did. And I hadn't noticed the link on the side, or the new Kickstarter tracker there, either. Cool.

Also, I corrected that horrible lack of spacing that I blame on my iPad! ;)

Grand Lodge

W. Kristoph Nolen wrote:
Also, I corrected that horrible lack of spacing that I blame on my iPad! ;)

Yeah, I have to be careful with the autocorrect and spacing when I'm typing in my iPad, too.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
W. Kristoph Nolen wrote:


Imnotentirely certain lei should eels out this.

Your hovercraft is full of eels, you say?

Qadira

Where do I sign?

Cheliax

DwarfsRBest wrote:
Where do I sign?

Right here, my son. Oh, I seem to be out of ink. Here, let me draw a bit of your blood to use instead. What? No, don't worry about the fine print, it's just standard legal boilerplate, part of every contract. Quite standard and above-board, I assure you.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber

This sounds awesome. I'm so glad it's coming to Paizocon UK!

Taldor

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Mike Brock wrote:
—including those retired characters of 12th level or higher—

Would this also include 12th level characters partway through Eyes of the Ten? I'm hoping to have the chance to play the series at PaizoconUK, and it would be nice to have that character attend the Convocation...

Osirion

Alexander_Damocles wrote:
W. Kristoph Nolen wrote:
Imnotentirely certain lei should eels out this.
Your hovercraft is full of eels, you say?

No, no. ... I'm not wearing a curtain of leis for the eels when I go out like this. LOL!

Good grief! I laughed and laughed when I read this. You know, most of the time, I have to say, "Damn You, Autocorrect!". But this time? There's no forgiveness.
<iPad bouncing off a wall. CRASH!>
"PFS LARPing? I'm not entirely certain how I should feel about this."

Taldor

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

I'm very happy that the Grand Convocation is back! The last time, I made out like a bandit! I got so many great things for my character. Including a permanent +2 increase to STR and a fairly high title of nobility. Plus more. I have a stack of chronicles from that event.

Paizo Employee Global Organized Play Coordinator

Calixymenthillian wrote:
Mike Brock wrote:
—including those retired characters of 12th level or higher—
Would this also include 12th level characters partway through Eyes of the Ten? I'm hoping to have the chance to play the series at PaizoconUK, and it would be nice to have that character attend the Convocation...

Unfortunately, that is the only character that can't attend the Grand Convocation. As per previous rulings, once Eyes of Ten has been started, you can't play something in the middle of the campaign arc. If you do finish Eyes of Ten before July 18, you certainly can use that character at the Grand Convocation.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber
Michael Brock wrote:
Calixymenthillian wrote:
Mike Brock wrote:
—including those retired characters of 12th level or higher—
Would this also include 12th level characters partway through Eyes of the Ten? I'm hoping to have the chance to play the series at PaizoconUK, and it would be nice to have that character attend the Convocation...
Unfortunately, that is the only character that can't attend the Grand Convocation. As per previous rulings, once Eyes of Ten has been started, you can't play something in the middle of the campaign arc. If you do finish Eyes of Ten before July 18, you certainly can use that character at the Grand Convocation.

Looks like you should get cracking then!

Silver Crusade

I hope those that get to participate in this have a great time.

Taldor

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Zootcat wrote:
I'm very happy that the Grand Convocation is back! The last time, I made out like a bandit! I got so many great things for my character. Including a permanent +2 increase to STR and a fairly high title of nobility. Plus more. I have a stack of chronicles from that event.

+1 WIS, three free castings of any 4th level or lower spell in Absolom, made an Abraduchess of Taldor (thanks for being such a good sport, Neil) ... and a curse from hell that lasted a full calender year (but resulted in a +1 to all saves once it passed). Thanks Lisa. ;)

Fortunately, at the time, there was no PFS play going on where I live, so the year passed without incident, save the handful of times it almost killed my PC during the con. ;)

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

As we feared it does have to do with PaizoCon, but the promise to not leave the agents that are out in the field... out, sounds promising.

Qadira

what an interesting event, wonder if my assignments will prevent me from attending...

Sczarni

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Where can I read about what exactly a Grand Convocation is and what I should be expecting?

Paizo Employee Global Organized Play Coordinator

CalebTGordan wrote:
Where can I read about what exactly a Grand Convocation is and what I should be expecting?

This blog explains what it is in game terms and some of the activities and events that are planned for players to participate in it. Did you have specific question that could help narrow down exactly what you are looking for?

Qadira

Paizo Superscriber

Very ambitious.

This was my best memory of all the PaizoCons. Glad to see its 2 year hiatus is at an end.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Awesome - certainly worth the trip to the US to experience!

*waits for registrations*

Sczarni

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Michael Brock wrote:
CalebTGordan wrote:
Where can I read about what exactly a Grand Convocation is and what I should be expecting?
This blog explains what it is in game terms and some of the activities and events that are planned for players to participate in it. Did you have specific question that could help narrow down exactly what you are looking for?

What should I expect in real life as a player? It sounds like we are not sitting down at a table and rolling dice. It also appears as if I have a chance to gain multiple chronicle sheets from this event.

How is this different from standard Pathfinder Society scenarios?

What do I need to bring? What shouldn't I bring that is normally at a game?

Basically: I am curious what I am going to experience as a player when I walk into the room there at PaizoCon. I am asking more about the technical side of things and less about the game world flavor.


Looks like fun!
(though the urgent message from paizo threw me off a little lol :)

W. Kristoph Nolen wrote:

Holy Crud,Batman!

PFS LARPing? Imnotentirely certain lei should eels out this.
  • I would love an excuse to buy an "Osiriani" headdress thingy ... and it might be grand fun to wear an "egyptian" costume ...
  • But still, it's LARPing.

I think you should get the reroll a meer t-shirt gives you if you wear this :)

Paizo Employee Developer

CalebTGordan wrote:

What should I expect in real life as a player? It sounds like we are not sitting down at a table and rolling dice. It also appears as if I have a chance to gain multiple chronicle sheets from this event.

How is this different from standard Pathfinder Society scenarios?

What do I need to bring? What shouldn't I bring that is normally at a game?

Basically: I am curious what I am going to experience as a player when I walk into the room there at PaizoCon. I am asking more about the technical side of things and less about the game world flavor.

If you want to sit at a table and roll dice, there are standard mini-adventures that can take a good portion of your time, and there are some events that take place during which all participants will engage in combat/skills/other dice rolling.

If you want to roleplay your character and interact with other PCs and NPCs, you can do that too. Or if you want to test your skills, knowledge, etc. you can participate in smaller sub-events like a harrow reading, archery contest, and other mini-games.

And woven throughout all these events are a number of faction-related plots that you can choose to pursue (or ignore if you just want to fight stuff).

You'll get a Chronicle sheet for each sub-event you partake in.

As for what to bring, you'll need dice, a mini, your character sheet and past Chronicles, and any books you need to run your PC. If you also want to bring a costume, we encourage that sort of immersion in the event.

Andoran

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber
Mark Moreland wrote:
If you also want to bring a costume, we encourage that sort of immersion in the event.

Cool! My Tengu runs around Naked...

How do I pull that off?... ;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Dragnmoon wrote:
Mark Moreland wrote:
If you also want to bring a costume, we encourage that sort of immersion in the event.

Cool! My Tengu runs around Naked...

How do I pull that off?... ;)

I can tar and feather you.

Paizo Employee Global Organized Play Coordinator

Dragnmoon wrote:
Mark Moreland wrote:
If you also want to bring a costume, we encourage that sort of immersion in the event.

Cool! My Tengu runs around Naked...

How do I pull that off?... ;)

If you are arrested on Friday evening, first appearance and arraignment won't be until Monday morning at 8 am. So, you would miss most of Paizo Con.....wait a minute.......

Shadow Lodge

Michael Brock wrote:


If you are arrested on Friday evening, first appearance and arraignment won't be until Monday morning at 8 am. So, you would miss most of Paizo Con.....wait a minute.......

Yes, but does that come with a special chronicle sheet?

Paizo Employee Global Organized Play Coordinator

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pirate Rob wrote:

Yes, but does that come with a special chronicle sheet?

Yes. It is called an Arraignment Form and is signed by the District Attorney or the Solicitor.

Qadira RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16, Contributor

4 people marked this as a favorite.

You also tend to lose a little prestige and most 'experience' you get in jail is... not good.

Qadira

Pathfinder Campaign Setting Subscriber
Michael Brock wrote:
Pirate Rob wrote:

Yes, but does that come with a special chronicle sheet?

Yes. It is called an Arraignment Form and is signed by the District Attorney or the Solicitor.

Mike, you seem AWFULLY familiar with this.....

Paizo Employee Global Organized Play Coordinator

Grolick wrote:
Michael Brock wrote:
Pirate Rob wrote:

Yes, but does that come with a special chronicle sheet?

Yes. It is called an Arraignment Form and is signed by the District Attorney or the Solicitor.
Mike, you seem AWFULLY familiar with this.....

I'm very familiar with this. I have been to more than 600 arraignments and first appearances. :-p


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Michael Brock wrote:
Grolick wrote:
Michael Brock wrote:
Pirate Rob wrote:

Yes, but does that come with a special chronicle sheet?

Yes. It is called an Arraignment Form and is signed by the District Attorney or the Solicitor.
Mike, you seem AWFULLY familiar with this.....
I'm very familiar with this. I have been to more than 600 arraignments and first appearances. :-p

And Paizo still hired you? You must really know how to talk your way out of jail time. ;)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Kyle Baird wrote:
Michael Brock wrote:
I'm very familiar with this. I have been to more than 600 arraignments and first appearances. :-p
And Paizo still hired you? You must really know how to talk your way out of jail time. ;)

Well.. Depending on what exactly you want to do, that can be a pretty useful skill set.. :)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Jim Groves wrote:
Kyle Baird wrote:
Michael Brock wrote:
I'm very familiar with this. I have been to more than 600 arraignments and first appearances. :-p
And Paizo still hired you? You must really know how to talk your way out of jail time. ;)
Well.. Depending on what exactly you want to do, that can be a pretty useful skill set.. :)

That, and it shows how forward-thinking the people at Paizo truly are -- with Jason and Cosmo on staff (not to mention a certain T-Rex that's sure to dine all over suburban Seattle once it finally gets free of the Redmond offices), it's really only a matter of time before Mike's particular experience stream becomes a vitally important one...

Shadow Lodge

Michael Brock wrote:
Pirate Rob wrote:

Yes, but does that come with a special chronicle sheet?

Yes. It is called an Arraignment Form and is signed by the District Attorney or the Solicitor.

I have an official warning from the State of Illinois Drug Enforcement division for driving while Californian. I think I'll apply that to one of my characters, seems close enough.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Sweet! Can we apply other legal documents to our characters?!

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Given your game-mastering record, I think it's more like that characters will make use of my operative notes than your legal records...

No, scratch that, wills (and slave contracts) trump operative notes where you are concerned.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

So deliriously excited!

Now if only I can get my costume completed in time.

Grand Lodge

Mark Moreland wrote:
CalebTGordan wrote:

What should I expect in real life as a player? It sounds like we are not sitting down at a table and rolling dice. It also appears as if I have a chance to gain multiple chronicle sheets from this event.

How is this different from standard Pathfinder Society scenarios?

What do I need to bring? What shouldn't I bring that is normally at a game?

Basically: I am curious what I am going to experience as a player when I walk into the room there at PaizoCon. I am asking more about the technical side of things and less about the game world flavor.

If you want to sit at a table and roll dice, there are standard mini-adventures that can take a good portion of your time, and there are some events that take place during which all participants will engage in combat/skills/other dice rolling.

If you want to roleplay your character and interact with other PCs and NPCs, you can do that too. Or if you want to test your skills, knowledge, etc. you can participate in smaller sub-events like a harrow reading, archery contest, and other mini-games.

And woven throughout all these events are a number of faction-related plots that you can choose to pursue (or ignore if you just want to fight stuff).

You'll get a Chronicle sheet for each sub-event you partake in.

As for what to bring, you'll need dice, a mini, your character sheet and past Chronicles, and any books you need to run your PC. If you also want to bring a costume, we encourage that sort of immersion in the event.

I have a couple questions. My wife and I are planning to attend the grand convocation for the first time and we both have 1st level characters (new to society play) as well as hard copies of all the books we need. The problem is we only have one copy of each book - do we need to each have our own copy?

Our group has shared pdf's (for convienience) of the books as well but since I am not the one who bought them, I would need to bring my hard copies. If I brought the stack of hard copy books, would one of us be able to have the pdfs on an ipad and the hard copies for the proof of purchase?

Is there any suggestions for lugging around a stack of pathfinder books while in costume?

Thanks in advance :)

Paizo Employee Developer

Felwyn wrote:
Is there any suggestions for lugging around a stack of pathfinder books while in costume?

If you have the PDFs of the products you'll need to reference (or rather, that the GM may need to reference), print out just those pages each of you need and carry those around with your character sheets. If you don't have the PDFs, and are going to be at the same table as one another, you can certainly share.

The primary purpose of bringing the books to the table is for GMs to be able to read, in the original source, any rules with which they may be unfamiliar when your character uses them. Sharing books or bringing printouts of just a page or two are totally fine as long as they are readable and quickly accessible by a GM who needs to look something up.

Grand Lodge

Mark Moreland wrote:
Felwyn wrote:
Is there any suggestions for lugging around a stack of pathfinder books while in costume?

If you have the PDFs of the products you'll need to reference (or rather, that the GM may need to reference), print out just those pages each of you need and carry those around with your character sheets. If you don't have the PDFs, and are going to be at the same table as one another, you can certainly share.

The primary purpose of bringing the books to the table is for GMs to be able to read, in the original source, any rules with which they may be unfamiliar when your character uses them. Sharing books or bringing printouts of just a page or two are totally fine as long as they are readable and quickly accessible by a GM who needs to look something up.

Awesome, thanks. That will make things much easier.

Sczarni

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Would an iPad full of PDFs bookmarked and marked for the needed rules work?

1 to 50 of 55 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / PaizoCon / Paizo Blog: A Preview of the Grand Convocation All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.





©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.