Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Pathfinder Battles Preview: When Hell Freezes Over

Friday, January 20, 2012


Say, how long does it take to thaw out a goblin?
Illustration by Liz Courts

With the arctic devils locking Paizo HQ in sheets of ice and the staff responsible flung to the far corners of snow-locked Seattle, I'm afraid to report that there can be no Pathfinder Battles preview blog today (or blog of any kind, sadly).

Pray for the weary souls of Paizo, cut to the bone with cold, trapped within their mountain fastnesses.

We will reward your patience with a double-sized Pathfinder Battles preview blog next week, with the first amazing images from the next set: RISE OF THE RUNELORDS!

Watch out for yetis (which, by the way, are in the set!).




...Although it looks like this Yeti seems to have escaped!

Erik Mona
Publisher

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Pathfinder Battles
1 to 50 of 55 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Thanks for the heads up. Just be safe and we will wait til next week. Same Bat-time, same Bat-Channel!


Erik,

Stay safe! Instead of having us wait until next Friday for a double blog post, please give us a bonus blog Monday or Tuesday.

-Swiftbrook
Just My Thoughts

Andoran

I like Swiftbrook's idea.

Also I saw an announcement for the RotRL set that said 'Part 1' at the end of it. Please dont tell me there are going to be two different sets for the AP. My group is already into the second half of the series, and I dont want to miss getting to use some of those for the last book or so cause the AP is divided between two minis sets.

Taldor

2 people marked this as a favorite.

"Knock knock."

"Who's there?"

"Yeti."

"Yeti who?"

"He's dedicated; yeti can't make it to work due to the snow."

*Stay warm, Paizonians!"


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Just send in some Canadians, We'll clear it all out and you can resume work.

Just don't take any from Toronto, as they called in the army to deal with a small snow storm once. Proof


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Azure_Zero wrote:

Just send in some Canadians, We'll clear it all out and you can resume work.

Just don't take any from Toronto, as they called in the army to deal with a small snow storm once. Proof

This is pretty standard fair for the north east US when dealing with lasting snow. Reserves get called in every few years. Why has the mayor gotten flak? Its a standard function for the US National Guard.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Not when it was only a small snow fall and you call in the army,
and the rest of the province of Ontario got it worse and they did not call in the army.

Hence why the mayor got flak,
most areas were hit harder and they dug themselves out,
Toronto got a little snow and he calls the army to dig them out.

Link.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Azure_Zero wrote:

Not when it was only a small snow fall,

and the rest of the province of Ontario got worse snow fall and did not call in the army.

Ok, both the article and the comments seem to imply that they were already unable to deal with the snow they had, and the small snowfall was irrelevant to that.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Another link

Just google "toronto calls in army"

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Erik and company please be safe!

But thanks for the spoiler. We will finally see a Yeti in PPM. You've been paying attention. This is welcome news. I look forward to next Friday's blog post.

Later,

Mazra


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Maps Subscriber

I used to live in Ottawa, and joined in on the Toronto hate every time they did something stupid.

Now I live in Toronto. When my relatives give me flak for something, I just remind them that 14% of Canadians live in the Greater Toronto Area. 1 in 7.

The army should come and blow-dry our streets after a light summer's rain. :P

edit: Incidentally, I didn't live in Toronto during that snow storm. But did you read the article you linked, Azure?

CTV News wrote:

Over 15 days, almost an entire season's worth of snow had fallen -- up to 118 centimetres. A typical January in Toronto at that time would see about 35 cm for the month, with 124 cm for an entire winter.

It would be described as the snowiest two-week period for the city since 1871.

There were more than 5,000 kilometres of roads to clear. GO Transit trains were shut down for two days, and the TTC was barely functioning, with fistfights breaking out between passengers frustrated by delays.

Paizo Employee Paizo Glitterati Robot

The blog now has an image for the Yeti mini! Beware its mighty Yeti powers!

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Chris Lambertz wrote:
The blog now has an image for the Yeti mini! Beware its mighty Yeti powers!

Yetigain Paizo goes above and beyond!


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Chris Lambertz wrote:
The blog now has an image for the Yeti mini! Beware its mighty Yeti powers!

Ooh, I like.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
BlogTO wrote:

No, that was -- as many will recall -- Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman in January 1999. Indeed it's difficult to look at

photos of this year's storm and not think about how bad things got in our city after that blizzard dumped
between 35-45 centimetres on us. I remember that it took about an hour and half to drive to my part-time job
the day after the storm, and I was only going from around Avenue and Bloor to Yonge and Lawrence.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Feegle wrote:

I used to live in Ottawa, and joined in on the Toronto hate every time they did something stupid.

Now I live in Toronto. When my relatives give me flak for something, I just remind them that 14% of Canadians live in the Greater Toronto Area. 1 in 7.

The army should come and blow-dry our streets after a light summer's rain. :P

edit: Incidentally, I didn't live in Toronto during that snow storm. But did you read the article you linked, Azure?

CTV News wrote:

Over 15 days, almost an entire season's worth of snow had fallen -- up to 118 centimetres. A typical January in Toronto at that time would see about 35 cm for the month, with 124 cm for an entire winter.

It would be described as the snowiest two-week period for the city since 1871.

There were more than 5,000 kilometres of roads to clear. GO Transit trains were shut down for two days, and the TTC was barely functioning, with fistfights breaking out between passengers frustrated by delays.

They had 3 storms over a period of 15 days, more than enough time to clean up the previous storm's leavings.

Andoran

Is that a digital render of the yeti? It looks perfect! It's too perfect to be a sample, right? Is that a sample? What is that?


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ryan. Costello wrote:
Is that a digital render of the yeti? It looks perfect! It's too perfect to be a sample, right? Is that a sample? What is that?

The lighting and lack of glossyness make me think it is a paint master. I could be wrong though.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Maps Subscriber
Azure_Zero wrote:
They had 3 storms over a period of 15 days, more than enough time to clean up the previous storm's leavings.

Perhaps. I'm optimistic enough to think that that's not true, or they would have done it. But I freely admit that my knowledge base when it comes to the infrastructure of high-volume snow removal in the context or a megacity is minimal, so I'll concede the point.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Maps Subscriber

Oops, double post. Stupid phone.

Andoran

Caineach wrote:
Ryan. Costello wrote:
Is that a digital render of the yeti? It looks perfect! It's too perfect to be a sample, right? Is that a sample? What is that?
The lighting and lack of glossyness make me think it is a paint master. I could be wrong though.

If you're right, wow. That's a mighti pretti yeti.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Caineach wrote:
Ryan. Costello wrote:
Is that a digital render of the yeti? It looks perfect! It's too perfect to be a sample, right? Is that a sample? What is that?
The lighting and lack of glossyness make me think it is a paint master. I could be wrong though.

It is a paint master.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Erik, any chance you can somehow squeeze in the final image of the Human Ranger before next Friday?

Taldor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Why is the yeti wearing clothes?


This loooks good - I'm down for a case of the next set as well. So excited for this product line.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

12 people marked this as a favorite.

It's a paint master.

The Yeti is wearing clothes because of Original Yeti Sin, which brought shame and self-awareness to the Yeti community.


Thanks for the preview. I'm in Tacoma, just south of Seattle, so I share the Paizo crew's understanding of the Snomaggedon we are facing.

I got a case of the Heroes & Monsters and love them all! Just one short, the Frost Giant talked 3 Ettins into my case so he could go out and play in this snow storm!

Can't wait for the ROTRL set later this year.

The yeti mini looks like a great sculpt, but I have one question? Why does the yeti have a loin cloth and a shaved chest? I checked the entry in Bestiary 1, no pants, shorts, or britches. Did a google image search for 'yeti', plenty of pics, none with clothing of any type. Every instance of yeti elsewhere and indeed in the Bestiary shows them with long white fur on their entire bodies, sans clothing. This mini sculpt is nice, but looks more like a silverback gorilla in a loin cloth. Just my 2 cents.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

This is the version of the Yeti from the cover of Ultimate Combat. I suppose that eventually we will reconcile in world why there are two different official "looks" for yetis in Pathfinder, but for this mini it comes down to "this is how Wayne Reynolds drew them, and we thought they looked cool this way."


Erik Mona wrote:

This is the version of the Yeti from the cover of Ultimate Combat. I suppose that eventually we will reconcile in world why there are two different official "looks" for yetis in Pathfinder, but for this mini it comes down to "this is how Wayne Reynolds drew them, and we thought they looked cool this way."

Thanks Eric, that is a simple enough explanation. Checking the Ultimate Combat cover, they do look pretty impressive and brutal. They are even wielding spears and axes. So I guess folks can start equipping their yeti with all manner of weaponry to do standard damage if they'd like to make their yeti's weaker, give them 1 attack and take away the cold damage and rend capabilities.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

The dressed, shaved yetis come from the Bible Belt, while the shaggy'n'naked Yetis are actually Surf Yetis from California, duuuuuhh.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Erik Mona wrote:

This is the version of the Yeti from the cover of Ultimate Combat. I suppose that eventually we will reconcile in world why there are two different official "looks" for yetis in Pathfinder, but for this mini it comes down to "this is how Wayne Reynolds drew them, and we thought they looked cool this way."

Some wisdom from the stars:

Worf on Deep Space 9, when questioned on why Sixties klingons looked like humans with brown shoe-polish on wrote:
We do not discuss it with outsiders.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

Exactly.


Erik Mona wrote:
Exactly.

Hey, if DOCTOR WHO can have two versions of the Yeti, why can't Pathfinder?? ;-)

Cheers,
JohnH / Wanda


Yeah I'm all for multiple versions of monsters, that's what makes Pathfinder so fun! Not all monsters are cookie cutter. Was just curious where that version came from and Eric gave a satisfying answer.

Love the Klingon analogy!

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Chris Lambertz wrote:
The blog now has an image for the Yeti mini! Beware its mighty Yeti powers!

Muchas Gracias!

Semi-civilized Yetis....cool. I like it.

Later,

Mazra


*Squeee!* Yetis!

Yes, I'm allowed to squeal at minis. They're shiny and pretty and make games more fun.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Wow! Nice start, authentic to the artwork and beautifullly realised. Also looks like scaling is just right - looks to be about the same size as the Ogre from H&M, and a rare I assume? If this is the tip of the iceberg then I am truly excited by this set!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Erik Mona wrote:

It's a paint master.

The Yeti is wearing clothes because of Original Yeti Sin, which brought shame and self-awareness to the Yeti community.

You, sir, owe me one computer monitor, as I spit my Diet Pepsi all over it over that remark. :-D

Mental note: also, sue PepsiCo.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules Subscriber
Erik Mona wrote:

The Yeti is wearing clothes because of Original Yeti Sin, which brought shame and self-awareness to the Yeti community.

While this is a brilliant post that deserves much praise in its own right, I'd like to applaud the choice for different reasons. This mini can be used for a lot of other purposes. I could easily see it fitting in for a lycanthrope in hybrid form, for an eidolon, for any of a number of giants, amongst others. Basically, by adding clothing it becomes more believable for PC use. I like it.

Andoran

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Just as a curiosity...has there been an announcement as to when the next set of miniatures is to be released? Did I miss an announcement somewhere?


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
FatPete wrote:
Just as a curiosity...has there been an announcement as to when the next set of miniatures is to be released? Did I miss an announcement somewhere?

The last mention I recall seeing was June'ish, 2012


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

That yeti looks awesome!

Cheliax Owner - Enchanted Grounds

I'm a huge fan of the minis you are producing, and they are doing really well in my shop, so kudos. Keep it up.

However, I have to say one thing after seeing today's image: can you tell the sculptors that not every monster has to stand face forward, mouth open, arms raised in the air? The troll, werewolf, zombie, wolf, frost giant, dire rat, gargoyle, skeleton, vampire, orc brute, mummy, spectre, and a couple goblins already have been stuffed into this "surprise!" pose. Do something a little more dynamic, perhaps?


Drogon wrote:

I'm a huge fan of the minis you are producing, and they are doing really well in my shop, so kudos. Keep it up.

However, I have to say one thing after seeing today's image: can you tell the sculptors that not every monster has to stand face forward, mouth open, arms raised in the air? The troll, werewolf, zombie, wolf, frost giant, dire rat, gargoyle, skeleton, vampire, orc brute, mummy, spectre, and a couple goblins already have been stuffed into this "surprise!" pose. Do something a little more dynamic, perhaps?

Great point Drogon. I agree, though the sculpts and painting are great, they do seem a bit 'static'. Perhaps some more lively poses would help to put a set of 'great' minis up to 'exceptional' status.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

Yeah, this guy is definitely aping (get it?) the Troll and others from the first set. I don't think any of the other Rise of the Runelords minis are doing this, though, so if he's part of the "Wave," he's the first guy doing it, and everyone else in the set is just sort of looking at him and shaking their heads.


Yay!! ROTR minis! I'm excited to see these. After seeing the Heros and Monsters minis, my gaming group has expressed interest in splitting the cost of another case. I am hopeful that a single case will still be enough to be reasonably certain of a full set.

Speaking of Minis... when will the encounter packs be listed?

Lantern Lodge

Any chance of a Colossal Xotani from Legacy of fire???

I would pay some serious cash for one of those...


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber
Erik Mona wrote:

It's a paint master.

The Yeti is wearing clothes because of Original Yeti Sin, which brought shame and self-awareness to the Yeti community.

Less than a month into 2012 and I do believe we have a candidate for best Paizo employee post of the year...

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

Aaron aka Itchy wrote:

Yay!! ROTR minis! I'm excited to see these. After seeing the Heros and Monsters minis, my gaming group has expressed interest in splitting the cost of another case. I am hopeful that a single case will still be enough to be reasonably certain of a full set.

Speaking of Minis... when will the encounter packs be listed?

Shortly. Details on the first one should be available by the end of this week.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

WhiteTiger wrote:


Any chance of a Colossal Xotani from Legacy of fire???

I would pay some serious cash for one of those...

We have no plans (yet) for Colossal miniatures of any kind.

1 to 50 of 55 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Paizo Licensed Products / Miniatures / Paizo Blog: Pathfinder Battles Preview: When Hell Freezes Over All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.





©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.