Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Round 1 Deadline is Tomorrow!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Greetings, potential superstars! This is just a warning that the deadline for your Round 1 wondrous item submission is tomorrow at 2 PM Pacific Time!

What's that? You say you haven't submitted an item? Why not? You have nothing to lose by submitting an item. Every year, most of the competitors who advance to Round 2 planned their item ahead of time, but we always have a few who decided at the last minute to participate. There's still time tonight to prepare yourself and submit a cool item.

Even if you don't think you're going to win, you should submit something anyway. Your wondrous item may have exactly the sort of creativity the judges are looking for. You may end up writing professionally for Paizo. Wouldn't it be cool to get your name on a Pathfinder RPG book? Wouldn't it be cool to get paid to write roleplaying games? This is an incredible opportunity, and if you don't submit something by tomorrow, you'll have to wait until December next year to try again.

Good luck!

Sean K Reynolds
Designer and RPG Superstar Judge

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: RPG Superstar
Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

And remember: go for gold! Get printed in ULTIMATE EQUIPMENT!


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
LoreKeeper wrote:
And remember: go for gold! Get printed in ULTIMATE EQUIPMENT!

Seeing as RPG Superstar ends in April and Ultimate Equipment comes out in August, I'd imagine that said book would be almost done and to the printers at that point. I.E., you'd have to wait for Ultimate "We-Didn't-Die-In-2012-Afterall" Guide.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32 , Star Voter 2014

Golden-Esque wrote:
LoreKeeper wrote:
And remember: go for gold! Get printed in ULTIMATE EQUIPMENT!
Seeing as RPG Superstar ends in April and Ultimate Equipment comes out in August, I'd imagine that said book would be almost done and to the printers at that point. I.E., you'd have to wait for Ultimate "We-Didn't-Die-In-2012-Afterall" Guide.

While you're right that it will be too late for the winner to freelance on Ultimate Equipment, we've announced select items from this years Top 32 and from previous years will be published in Ultimate Equipment.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Good luck folks! Don't be afraid!

If you make it to the Top 32, take it seriously, its totally worth it!

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014 aka Hodge Podge

Good luck everybody!

I keep oscillating between waiting for the next three weeks to see if I made it and just posting the damnable thing on the board to get it over with. It's exciting! :p

Anyway, the way I see it, some of the top entrants are likely to be people that actually post on the messageboards. It seems to me that there are 100 or less regular posters, so I'm hopeful that Mine can just get in the top third of those!

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Hodge Podge wrote:
Anyway, the way I see it, some of the top entrants are likely to be people that actually post on the messageboards.

Every year, the finalists turn out to be a mix of familiar and unfamiliar names.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014 aka Hodge Podge

Vic Wertz wrote:
Every year, the finalists turn out to be a mix of familiar and unfamiliar names.

Yeah, maybe I should pray for the top sixth instead. :p

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 8 aka Ottovar

Submitted my Item (maybe today, maybe last Tuesday, maybe before that)... I've stocked up with three weeks worth of pop-tarts (tm) and Zena Warrior Princess videos, waiting for the results.

What a rush!

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

EDIT: I should read more thoroughly.


I wish I were legal to enter. I've got a nice idea for the first round...but I've worked full time as a game designer (and still work more than 20 hours a week at it for my own company.)

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

@AdAstraGames: you can still submit proposals for PFS scenarios and make a name for yourself like that. :)

Star Voter 2013

Hodge Podge wrote:
...some of the top entrants are likely to be people that actually post on the messageboards...

Well, there's probably the same chance that a regular poster on this or any other board is someone who winds up being in the top 32 as any other arbitrary group.

However, the people who regularly post on these boards tend to be the ones who are more interested, invested and involved in the contest, so there's probably a better chance they were one of the ones who actually put forth a really excellent idea.

We'll see at the ever-looming deadline who it winds up being.

Cheliax

can one submit only up to 4:59 PM eastern time, or is submitting on exactly 5 PM okay??? just a hypothetical question....

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

RonarsCorruption wrote:

Well, there's probably the same chance that a regular poster on this or any other board is someone who winds up being in the top 32 as any other arbitrary group.

However, the people who regularly post on these boards tend to be the ones who are more interested, invested and involved in the contest, so there's probably a better chance they were one of the ones who actually put forth a really excellent idea.

We'll see at the ever-looming deadline who it winds up being.

I'm really hoping you or someone from the item-a-month club this last year breaks into the top 32. It was a lot of fun reading your entries and critiques. Good luck!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Submitted my item this week! Is it just me, or did everyone else struggle to decide or come up with a cool wondrous item, only to be overwhelmed with a deluge of ideas the moment they hit the "submit" button?


I can't believe I just found out about this. I'm going to try and see if I can submit something before time's up.


So, if your full time game designer job didn't do anything with d20 (I was technically the marketing director for the time I was working on Prime Directive d20) does that give me a way to submit without breaking the rules?

Cheliax

Whew! Got it in before the deadline. Feeling good that I at least entered. Cue music from Rocky...

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Buckinin wrote:
can one submit only up to 4:59 PM eastern time, or is submitting on exactly 5 PM okay??? just a hypothetical question....

It won't matter, because that's precisely when your computer freezes up for a couple minutes, delaying the release of the submission to 5:01 PM. That's the sort of thing you Just Don't Risk.

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

InVinoVeritas wrote:
Buckinin wrote:
can one submit only up to 4:59 PM eastern time, or is submitting on exactly 5 PM okay??? just a hypothetical question....

It won't matter, because that's precisely when your computer freezes up for a couple minutes, delaying the release of the submission to 5:01 PM. That's the sort of thing you Just Don't Risk.

haha that's so true.

Star Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Alex Head wrote:
Is it just me, or did everyone else struggle to decide or come up with a cool wondrous item, only to be overwhelmed with a deluge of ideas the moment they hit the "submit" button?

Not a deluge of ideas, but I did look over the item I submitted the last time I entered (the '09 Superstar, I believe), and suddenly had some thoughts about how I could rework it to make it better and struggled between the two ideas.

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32 aka Hydro

I usually do lots of brainstorming leading up to RPGS, but this year I really just had one idea, and it's the one I wished I'd used last year.

It's had lots of time to stew, though, so I haven't felt any last minute indecision about it. It's as good as I can make it.

Andoran RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014 aka Draconas

I, for one, am glad that Round 1 will soon be closing as it means less fret and worry on my part. So lets bite the leather strap and brace for the hot iron of the 24th together.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16

AdAstraGames wrote:

So, if your full time game designer job didn't do anything with d20 (I was technically the marketing director for the time I was working on Prime Directive d20) does that give me a way to submit without breaking the rules?

Read the contest rules. Very few people are excluded. If you aren't explicitly disallowed by the rules, then you're allowed. I'm almost certain you're allowed. (but I don't know all of what you've done)


Erik Freund wrote:
AdAstraGames wrote:

So, if your full time game designer job didn't do anything with d20 (I was technically the marketing director for the time I was working on Prime Directive d20) does that give me a way to submit without breaking the rules?

Read the contest rules. Very few people are excluded. If you aren't explicitly disallowed by the rules, then you're allowed. I'm almost certain you're allowed. (but I don't know all of what you've done)

The rules I appear to be in violation of:

Quote:
Anyone who has been employed full-time as a designer for a game company is ineligible.

I have worked full time as a designer for a game company, and as a line developer for a d20 and GURPS RPG line. (My technical job description there was marketing director.) I work part time doing that now...

Quote:
Anyone with a cover credit on a hardcover RPG book is ineligible.

I've got cover credits on RPG books; all printed softcover because when they were ALL printed softcover by those publishers. I've also got cover credit on boxed miniatures games.

Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

He he, if my clock offset is right, you have a magnificent 15 minutes left, so get those entries posted!

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Marathon Voter 2013

With the final minutes ticking away, best of luck to all those who entered the contest this year!

Designer, RPG Superstar Judge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

And we're done! Now we just have to deal with the "heroic surge" of item submitted today!

Everyone who submitted an item this year: CONGRATULATIONS! You took that first step. You can't win if you don't show up. :)

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

All-time record again, too.

Marathon Voter 2013

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Are those numbers public?

Andoran RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014 aka Draconas

Cheapy wrote:
Are those numbers public?

Unless something has changed, the answer to that is usually no.

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

It still is.

No.

Andoran RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014 aka Draconas

Neil Spicer wrote:
No.

Ah-ha! A seer, am I.

Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

We're winning everyone...

We keep increasing that tally year on year.

Paizo will soon have to add an extra round and make it Top 64 for Round 1.

Evil Grin.

Marathon Voter 2013

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

In that case, let's try a different method.

You are a sorcerer with fireball. How many fireballs, on average, would you have to cast to destroy a horde of goblins whose numbers equal the number of entrants? The horde is not of uniform distribution, and 5% have improved evasion.

Andoran RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014 aka Draconas

Anthony Adam wrote:

We're winning everyone...

We keep increasing that tally year on year.

Paizo will soon have to add an extra round and make it Top 64 for Round 1.

Evil Grin.

I doubt it for a while at least. If you'll notice they did have 6 rounds back the first year of RPG Superstar (still with Top 32 making it through first round) and they pruned that down to 5 for previous years as it supposedly drug on too long/became a time burden to the judges.


AAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

(the observant of you may recognize this opening from the 'RPG Superstar General advice thread- I didn't see this thread before I posted so I deleted what I said there to put it here.)

Long story short, I literally missed the deadline for submission by a few seconds, which you probably should be able to verify with the forum administrator. I'll skip the excuses and exculpations and get straight to the grovelling: is there any way to slip my entry under the door, as it were? I'll write 'Procrastination is the mark of weak character' 1,000 times and promise never to do it again. Alternatively, since I live in Seattle, I could just drop a bottle of good Scotch off at your receptionist's desk and we'll say no more on the topic, if you catch my drift.

C'mon, Pleeeeeeeaaase?

Paizo Employee PostMonster General

Sorry, when the submissions window slams closed it stays closed. Better luck next year!


NO SCOTCH FOR YOU!

Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

That has to be a world record speed post of "I missed the deadline" ever.

Star Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

Seth White wrote:
RonarsCorruption wrote:

Well, there's probably the same chance that a regular poster on this or any other board is someone who winds up being in the top 32 as any other arbitrary group.

However, the people who regularly post on these boards tend to be the ones who are more interested, invested and involved in the contest, so there's probably a better chance they were one of the ones who actually put forth a really excellent idea.

We'll see at the ever-looming deadline who it winds up being.

I'm really hoping you or someone from the item-a-month club this last year breaks into the top 32. It was a lot of fun reading your entries and critiques. Good luck!

I dinnae know about 'really excellent ideas'. Usually I have that in spades and have to work the mechanics. Not the case for my actual entry, inspiration did dry up. I personally found two better items in the practice thread. 'Knowing' too much & frequenting too many threads might have helped with lack of inspiration. I spent hours agonizing the balance between in SAK and SIAC.

That said I hope someone from Neil's Superstar Seminar does make it in. It helped me a lot, and I went back to it several times. (thanks for that podcast Jerezmiah).

In theory there is no difference between reality and theory. In reality there is. :)

Star Voter 2013

Seth White wrote:
I'm really hoping you or someone from the item-a-month club this last year breaks into the top 32. It was a lot of fun reading your entries and critiques. Good luck!

I appreciate hearing that. One of the best things about writing (so far) is knowing that other people like what you do.

Star Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

Curaigh wrote:
I dinnae know about 'really excellent ideas'.

I just realized this might not read as intended, as I was only commenting on my own submissions. Ronars, Standback, Herreman and others did show some great ideas and I really hope to see them here in three weeks. :)

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / RPG Superstar™ / Previous Contests / RPG Superstar™ 2012 / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Round 1 Deadline is Tomorrow! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.