Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Meet the Iconics: Feiya

Thursday, October 27, 2011


Illustration by Wayne Reynolds

Born in a small village north of Trollheim in the Linnorm Kingdoms, the child who would come to be known as Feiya was the daughter of two Tian merchants from Minkai who had come over the crown of the world to Avistan to start a new life. Travelers by nature, they spent the short northern summers making slow loops through Hagreach and the Thanelands, facilitating trade. What few memories Feiya has of that life are happy ones: the jostling of wagons, the smell of campfires, and wandering alone through fields and forests, marveling as the wildness closed around her.

That happiness came to a sudden halt on the fateful day that brought her to the attention of a recently sundered coven of witches who dwelled on the border with Irrisen. Led by a particularly cruel green hag named Nysima, the coven had lost its youngest member to a squad of Blackravens from Trollheim and was still reeling from its sudden loss of power. They witnessed the child as she skipped away from the caravan stop, following a family of deer deep into the woods, and immediately set upon her.

There’s no telling what cruelties the witches would have visited upon the girl had they not suffered their recent loss. As it was, another, no less horrific, fate awaited young Feiya. The two crones seized the child and whisked her away to the east, their mad cackling drowning out the young girl’s terrified screams. By the time they reached their snow- and thatch-covered huts, they had given the child a new name and were already envisioning the return of their lost powers.

The next twelve years were a blur of pain, terror, and misery as Feiya endured the crones’ sadistic attempts to teach her their dark craft. Alternating between tutelage and torture, the witches frequently let their cruel natures impede their instruction. For while the young girl showed unmistakable promise and aptitude, she also possessed a defiance that only the harshest of punishments could suppress. On numerous occasions, Feiya tried to escape her imprisonment, only to be tracked down and captured after no more than a few hours. The retributions for these failed attempts have scarred her body and mind in ways that no magic can ever heal.

One brisk autumn day, after being beaten for failing to properly brew a batch of poisonous blue whinnis, Feiya was sent off to gather herbs. While harvesting more whinnis root, she spied a fox watching her from atop a large rime-covered rock. Unlike the region’s typical arctic specimens, this creature had a striking red and orange coloration that stood in stark contrast to the endless snow. There was something about the way the creature watched her that beckoned to Feiya. She approached carefully, and was astonished by his calm and focus. As she neared, the fox trotted a small distance away, turned, and gave her a look that was clearly an invitation to follow. This process was repeated again and again, and before she knew it, Feiya was following the fox on another escape attempt.

By sundown, the two witches had realized Feiya’s intentions. Furious, they set off in pursuit, confident that, as with all previous instances, their hunt would be brief. This time, however, Feiya had guidance. The fox led her along trails never before seen by human nor hag, staying always just ahead and out of reach. When she needed nourishment, the fox led her to game and fresh water. When she needed rest, it stood vigil while she slept. In this manner, Feiya was able to elude capture for more than two weeks.

One particularly cold evening, however, Feiya’s luck ran out. With her pursuers hot on her trail and the fox nowhere to be seen, she found herself trapped in a river valley surrounded on three sides by impassable mountains. Feiya could sense the witches closing in, could hear their promises of pain on the chilling wind. She took shelter in a shallow cave behind the waterfall that fed the river, a curious little grotto whose far wall was emblazoned with a crude carving of a butterfly. Like an animal run to ground, Feiya steeled herself for the coming confrontation. She had come too far this time to surrender without a fight. She determined then and there that her days of living under someone else’s yoke were over. She would have her freedom, either in this life or the next.

It was at that moment that the fox reappeared. Only now, there was something different in the way he approached her. He had always shown a preternatural intelligence, but as Feiya stared into his eyes, she saw a consciousness and a determination that would have frightened her had she not come to trust the animal so implicitly. As she watched him, Feiya was startled by a sudden and overwhelming flurry of sensations invading her mind. She sank, dazed, to the cave floor as the feelings slowly crystallized into coherence. Less a voice than a series of emotions, the promise it offered was unmistakable. Feiya said nothing, but her acceptance was as clear as it was quick.

What followed will forever haunt Feiya’s dreams. Raspy promises of pain and suffering rose above the din of the waterfall as the witches drew near to cave mouth. Feiya could see the outlines of their hunched bodies just beyond the blanket of cascading water, but before she could act, another sound arose. It started as a low rumble, then quickly gained volume, drowning out both hags and water and sending tremors through the cave floor. Then the valley erupted with the screeching and roaring of what could only have been a forest’s worth of wild animals, punctured occasionally by the shrill curse of a hag.

Long minutes passed as Feiya stood, too frightened to move. Then, as gradually as it began, the noise subsided until all that remained was the crash of the waterfall. Feiya crouched down behind a rocky outcropping, afraid to leave the shelter of the cave. As the minutes turned into hours, exhaustion claimed her, and, despite her anxiety, she succumbed to a fitful sleep.

When dawn finally arrived, Feiya stepped out from the cave, not quite sure what she was expecting to see. A fresh blanket of snow had covered the land, hiding any clues she might have found concerning the events of the previous night. Yet the feeling of relief was palpable. The fox crept up and paused at her side. She was finally free.

Feiya never discusses the events of that night, nor the particulars of the strange pact she entered into. She may one day try to track down the parents she barely remembers, but for now she is content to roam the world, relishing her freedom, seeking new experiences, and developing her newfound power. Though she desperately desires the company of others, formative years spent away from civilized society have left Feiya lacking in social graces, and her awkwardness often leads to unfortunate misunderstandings. Nevertheless, her inherent good nature tends to win out, and her occasional flares of temper are countered by her steadfast loyalty to her friends. Feiya relishes travel, and having identified the butterfly carving in the waterfall cave as the found-mark of a Desnan priest, she gladly embraces that faith, hoping that her wanderings may cast more light on who she really is—and what entity fosters her magical abilities.

Andrew Vallas
Graphic Designer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Feiya Meet the Iconics Wayne Reynolds Witches
51 to 95 of 95 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Cheliax

Wow, nicely done! This guy should be writing fluff for campaign setting books.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

So she's a more likeable asian version of Morrigan from Dragon Age? I am totally okay with this.

...and now she's a tsundere in my head.

Taldor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have been waiting to read about her since she came out.

Thank you

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
shyDM wrote:


I would have said the witch presented in the portrait knowingly pursued her mysterious powers and relished in presenting herself to onlookers as a "creepy outsider", whereas I would think the witch presented in the story would want to integrate into the attire of places she visited, both to prevent unnecessary confrontations and as a way of enjoying her freedom from the hags--and would certainly not dress akin to the hags who violently kidnapped and beat her.

Somewhere, and I can't remember where, someone called this FANTASY. If you ask me the incredible artistry of Wayne Reynolds captures the FANTASY of Feiya. To expect the back story to logically fit the image is way too much REALITY for me. I really like both back story and image. But to each his own.

Later,

Mazra

Silver Crusade

Awesome story. Her good nature contradicts her almost sinister looking pic. I didn't even think she would be from the other side of the Inner Sea. This bio is perfect for this Halloween season, and it is a great story. Great job guys.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
shyDM wrote:


I would have said the witch presented in the portrait knowingly pursued her mysterious powers and relished in presenting herself to onlookers as a "creepy outsider", whereas I would think the witch presented in the story would want to integrate into the attire of places she visited, both to prevent unnecessary confrontations and as a way of enjoying her freedom from the hags--and would certainly not dress akin to the hags who violently kidnapped and beat her.

My question for people that are questioning her looks:

What would you expect a abused, socially inept, sheltered woman to look like, and why would you expect them to conform to the looks and opinions of people in societies she's never met before?

Honestly go look at what abuse does to people -- her looks literally scream, "I'm been victimized brutally."

Ill fitting clothing found from wherever and frayed? Check.
Long finger nails from not trimming? Check.
False Bravado stance and attitude to cover insecurities? Check.
Desperate need for attention (typically the wrong kind too) as demonstrated by same clothing? Check.

Now this doesn't go for everyone... but I'm not surprised in the slightest that she looks how she does given her background.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber
LazarX wrote:
xorial wrote:
Jiggy wrote:
Blog post wrote:
Though she desperately desires the company of others, formative years spent away from civilized society have left Feiya lacking in social graces, and her awkwardness often leads to unfortunate misunderstandings. Nevertheless, her inherent good nature tends to win out, and her occasional flares of temper are countered by her steadfast loyalty to her friends.
I think I'll point to this next time someone tells me I'm a bad roleplayer because I dumped CHA. ;)
Point to it whenever you dump any stat for roleplaying purposes.
Nine out of ten times though, even roleplayers tend to dump Cha for the points.

I can't keep my DPR up with super optimised mega builds because I didn't dump my Charisma.

Not that I care.

I AM THE 10 PERCENT!

Silver Crusade

I really like the backstory for Feiya. Good work!

Nice to know you can recieve witchy powers from beings like Desna like my own witch I have for PFS play. Fun stuff.


James Jacobs wrote:
KestlerGunner wrote:
Also Tian Xia? With white hair? Don't see it.

Actaully... there's a long tradition in Asian cinema and the like concerning white-haired witches. There's even a white-haired-witch archetype coming soon in the Dragon Empires Primer.

Giving our witch white hair and having her come from Tian Xia were, in fact, pretty much the ONLY bits of art direction we gave to Wayne.

Ooh. My next character will be a white haired witch with prehensile hair hex and the new whip feats. Also Perform [flute].


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Mazra wrote:


Somewhere, and I can't remember where, someone called this FANTASY. If you ask me the incredible artistry of Wayne Reynolds captures the FANTASY of Feiya. To expect the back story to logically fit the image is way too much REALITY for me. I really like both back story and image. But to each his own.

Eh? Why have a backstory at all, if it's not meant to "logically fit" the image?

I like the back story, and I like the image, I just didn't think they necessarily go together that well. Don't misjudge me, though: I'm not saying you cannot enjoy this depiction of Feiya, only that I personally have some cognitive dissonance with it.

Abraham spalding wrote:

Honestly go look at what abuse does to people -- her looks literally scream, "I'm been victimized brutally."

Well, I think that is your opinion (and you certainly have a right to it!) For me, when I look at Feiya, I see her smirk, and that she is looking the viewer right in the eye, and that she is wearing revealing and impractical clothing (which is not wrong or improper but not necessarily the M.O. of the abused and socially awkward.) To me that is not the look of the abused who is just now stepping into the world, but of a confident young woman who is self-assured and knows what she's doing.

Quote:


Ill fitting clothing found from wherever and frayed? Check.
Long finger nails from not trimming? Check.
False Bravado stance and attitude to cover insecurities? Check.
Desperate need for attention (typically the wrong kind too) as demonstrated by same clothing? Check.

Now this doesn't go for everyone... but I'm not surprised in the slightest that she looks how she does given her background.

I can see why you feel the way that you do. However, when I look at her backstory I don't necessarily see someone who is "desperate for any attention", I see someone who would be perhaps somewhat shy and at times overwhelmed but very enthusiastic. Why would she want the "wrong kind" of attention, when she's just now escaped from years of beatings?

There is nothing wrong with Feiya's look. I simply didn't expect her to have a backstory that involves severe social ineptitude and random inflicted violence. In my experience, people who are "desperate for attention" are usually more the results of neglect than violence.

I'm not trying to attack you for your opinion, only expressing my own feelings, and I'm not pushing for Pathfinder to become Social Workers & Sadness. (If anything, I would have dropped the "kidnapped + recently abused" story and injected about 75% more "pulpy badass.") If it helps you understand where I'm coming from, I'm a psychology major. It's unfortunately difficult for me to shut my brain off and just enjoy things at face value.

Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, I just want to reiterate that I'm not trying to attack others for holding "wrong opinions", or that I dislike Feiya's look or story, or that I dislike Pathfinder. I'm only expressing my own surprise, not expecting anyone else to conform to my opinions.

:)


The backstory said wrote:
For while the young girl showed unmistakable promise and aptitude, she also possessed a defiance that only the harshest of punishments could suppress.

Hmm. Actually, I may have missed the line in my first reading. This does soften my opinion somewhat. I still do have some reservations, but the depiction makes a little bit more sense to me now.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

I really like the Curchanus-by-way-of-Desna vibe this story gives. :)

That and this finally settles the issue of her ambiguous ethnicity, though I can't help but suspect that she's actually neither Tien or ULfen, but rather a Bjork.(which might require a fey template actually...)

Really hope Imrijka and Bathazar are close behind.

Bofdm wrote:

So she's a more likeable asian version of Morrigan from Dragon Age? I am totally okay with this.

Now there's an understatement. :)


shyDM wrote:
lots of stuff

Hey no problem -- wife works in the psych ward (and has her degree in such) and I helped her with a lot of her studies... as such a lot of it has become kind of... obvious to me, even if it isn't quite to everyone else. Of course it could be as simple as those are the first clothes she swipe when she got closer to actual civilization and she simply likes the look.

My opinion is that if she's really been that out of touch she might not even know that her clothes are considered in some circles to be provocative (not having the social training to understand that) however she might notice the attention and could not realize why that attention is what is it is or that it might not be the type she wants.

Seeing her and Valeros in the same party could be very interesting, and I think Feiya, Lirianne, Rieko, and hayato would get along fairly well.

I think Alain would be a horrible match for a party member for her. Alahazra and her probably wouldn't get along on religious grounds (though I could still see them working together), and Erzen just might grandfather her. Damiel's problems could remind her too much of the Hags, while Seltyiel has been to blackened by his own similar experiences for the two to get along well in my opinion.

But that's all just my opinion -- I've not thought as hard about the others comparatively yet.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

I see nobody noticed that she's actually wearing a major magic item. It's black instead of brown, but the basic layout is identical...that's a 'Witching Gown' she's wearing, from Ashes at Dawn, book 5 of the Carrion Crown.

heh!

And yes, white-haired witches have a very long history in Chinese history, going right back to Journey to the West, where a white-haired witch is a main protagonist. Like most cultures, early white hair is associated with wisdom and power.

Although, y'know, having 3 of the female iconics with white hair IS a bit odd, especially the hottest ones.

==Aelryinth


Aelryinth wrote:
==Aelryinth

Come on man spoil that stuff! I've not played that one yet!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Abraham spalding wrote:
I think Alain would be a horrible match for a party

No argument there! wakka wakka

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aelryinth wrote:

I see nobody noticed that she's actually wearing a major magic item. It's black instead of brown, but the basic layout is identical...that's a 'Witching Gown' she's wearing, from Ashes at Dawn, book 5 of the Carrion Crown.

heh!

And yes, white-haired witches have a very long history in Chinese history, going right back to Journey to the West, where a white-haired witch is a main protagonist. Like most cultures, early white hair is associated with wisdom and power.

Although, y'know, having 3 of the female iconics with white hair IS a bit odd, especially the hottest ones.

==Aelryinth

Seoni is blonde. Very pale blonde... but blonde nonetheless. That some artists paint her with really white hair is artistic license akin to how some artists give her a boob job.


James Jacobs wrote:


Seoni is blonde. Very pale blonde... but blonde nonetheless. That some artists paint her with really white hair is artistic license akin to how some artists give her a boob job.

Wait...the artists have been lying to us? What, they're using Numerian science to shrink them down to fit on the page, is that it? The travesty! The horror! :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Lathiira wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:


Seoni is blonde. Very pale blonde... but blonde nonetheless. That some artists paint her with really white hair is artistic license akin to how some artists give her a boob job.

Wait...the artists have been lying to us? What, they're using Numerian science to shrink them down to fit on the page, is that it? The travesty! The horror! :)

All one needs to do is go back to Seoni's original picture, available for all to see in the Core Rulebook.

She's got some cleavage going on, but nearly to the extent that some authors give her.

And fold over the previous page so Merisiel is "standing" right next to Seoni, and you'll see that Seoni's hair isn't NEARLY as white as Merisiel's hair.

In any event... white hair is sexy, so sue me. :-P


James Jacobs wrote:
Lathiira wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:


Seoni is blonde. Very pale blonde... but blonde nonetheless. That some artists paint her with really white hair is artistic license akin to how some artists give her a boob job.

Wait...the artists have been lying to us? What, they're using Numerian science to shrink them down to fit on the page, is that it? The travesty! The horror! :)

All one needs to do is go back to Seoni's original picture, available for all to see in the Core Rulebook.

She's got some cleavage going on, but nearly to the extent that some authors give her.

And fold over the previous page so Merisiel is "standing" right next to Seoni, and you'll see that Seoni's hair isn't NEARLY as white as Merisiel's hair.

In any event... white hair is sexy, so sue me. :-P

All right, I'll sue you...for more Paizo products! Help create more, and we'll sweep this all under the table :p

And I'm with you on white hair, though pure black hair and redheads do it for me even more. Now that I think about it, Harsk's our only redhead, isn't he? Guess we need a new iconic to fix that problem too:)

That said, another fun writeup for the iconics!

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Lathiira wrote:
And I'm with you on white hair, though pure black hair and redheads do it for me even more. Now that I think about it, Harsk's our only redhead, isn't he? Guess we need a new iconic to fix that problem too:)

What about "no hair"? Though Sajan covers that pretty well for dudes. Women however...

Female Shoanti/Osiriani iconic?

OR REIKO'S SECRET?

best not to get started on the spectrum provided by gnomes...gonna need a lot of iconics to cover that...


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

What page is she on?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ravingdork wrote:
What page is she on?

Considering the way this conversation has been going in the last few posts, I'm guessing page 3.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

LOVE IT!! She is one of my favs(I love witches, foxes and hot chicks with white hair, lol) and I am glad to see her get a badass history.

to those who gripe about pic not equaling backstory:

Uh...who says the pic isn't from much later? Perhaps an adventure or two(with or without any actual level gain), that has boosted her confidence??

Or you know, maybe, just maybe, the picture is, as most pictures are, just a moment. Aka, when it was "taken" she was feeling really confident in herself, enough so that her pose and demeanor look as they do.

However, personally, it sounds like you all are being way too critical. And kinda whiny.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

There are a lot of movies too that you can watch The Bride with White Hair 1/2 comes to mind. Theres one with an 8-tailed fox character as well I can't recall its name though. good fun stuff! Are we going to see an 8-tailed fox any time? Or some handsome monkey kings? I hope so! Or some Eunuch prestige classes? I hope not!


Aelryinth wrote:
And yes, white-haired witches have a very long history in Chinese history, going right back to Journey to the West, where a white-haired witch is a main protagonist. Like most cultures, early white hair is associated with wisdom and power.

Well, iirc white is also considered the color of death and mourning, so there's this angle as well. White-haired prettyboys, in general, tend to be pretty bad news (Final Fantasy VII being a prime example), although I'm not sure if the stereotype applies for female characters as well.

@ Krail Stromquism : don't you wish there'd be an Oriental Adventures Pathfinder release ;) ?

Qadira

She's foxy.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Finally this came out. It is remarkably similiar to my own witche's background...early trgedy leading emotional scars and well insaneities...and possible divine patron...

Anyway very nice worth the wait.

Paizo Employee Webstore Gninja Minion

Mikaze wrote:

What about "no hair"? Though Sajan covers that pretty well for dudes. Women however...

Female Shoanti/Osiriani iconic?

OR REIKO'S SECRET?

best not to get started on the spectrum provided by gnomes...gonna need a lot of iconics to cover that...

Short (or no hair) is easier to keep under a hood.

Krail, Hasmir, I suggest you snag the Dragon Empires Gazetteer and the Dragon Empires Primer when they are released in December. :)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Seoni may be officially a blonde but to me she has white hair with some metalic silver coloring. Wich fits her Arcane bloodline since wizards tend to have white and or silver hair, well stereotypically anyway. I am not a fan of blond hair so I will always pretend she is not, besides the best art pics of her have her with silvery white hair.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dragon78 wrote:
Seoni may be officially a blonde but to me she has white hair with some metalic silver coloring. Wich fits her Arcane bloodline since wizards tend to have white and or silver hair, well stereotypically anyway.

Of course, the stereotypical wizard has white hair because he's old, which Seoni isn't. :)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

How would you know how old she is:)

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Hasmir Talari wrote:
Aelryinth wrote:
And yes, white-haired witches have a very long history in Chinese history, going right back to Journey to the West, where a white-haired witch is a main protagonist. Like most cultures, early white hair is associated with wisdom and power.

Well, iirc white is also considered the color of death and mourning, so there's this angle as well. White-haired prettyboys, in general, tend to be pretty bad news (Final Fantasy VII being a prime example), although I'm not sure if the stereotype applies for female characters as well.

@ Krail Stromquism : don't you wish there'd be an Oriental Adventures Pathfinder release ;) ?

That depends very much on your culture.

Having hair go white extremely early in life was seen as denoting extreme intelligence or wisdom, essentially getting the benefits of age while still young. In a magic world, this is generally seen as an indicator of magical ability.

==Aelryinth

Grand Lodge

shyDM wrote:


(If anything, I would have dropped the "kidnapped + recently abused" story and injected about 75% more "pulpy badass.")

Totally agree. Adventuring is fun. Witchcraft is double as much fun. The Witch is a gloriously tricksy class both to roleplay and in terms of the class mechanics (child scent! cook people! poisoned fruit! flying!)

It is weird to see all that potential for fun replaced with Social Workers & Sadness.

I'm looking forward to how much goodies Tian Xia holds for our cackling mistresses though! :D


Bofdm wrote:
So she's a more likeable asian version of Morrigan from Dragon Age? I am totally okay with this.

Seconded.

Quote:
...and now she's a tsundere in my head.

...

By the gods.

Alahazra, Feiya, and Kyra Triple Tsundere Tsundae.

THE THREAD WAS PROPHETIC.


Mikaze wrote:

I really like the Curchanus-by-way-of-Desna vibe this story gives. :)

That and this finally settles the issue of her ambiguous ethnicity, though I can't help but suspect that she's actually neither Tien or ULfen, but rather a Bjork.(which might require a fey template actually...)

Really hope Imrijka and Bathazar are close behind.

If those are the 1/2 Orc Inquisitor and the Summoner (not sure of his race) then I'm behind that. It's bad enough that there is only one, half-orc iconic, one dwarf iconic (to my knowledge) and one halfling iconic (again, this is only as far as I know), but when I learned that those daisy-eating, point ears and their half-blood kin got 4 iconics it was just too much. The next run of iconic characters (should there be one) need to be primarily of the under-represented races and primarily male (though a Golarian take on a female dwarf would be nice, too.) And I'm, sorry if I have an irrational hatred of elves, but they have been done to death (that and I'm bitter that the Iconic alchemist was an elf and not a half-orc, it's just criminal) :)

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Leo_Negri wrote:


If those are the 1/2 Orc Inquisitor and the Summoner (not sure of his race) then I'm behind that. It's bad enough that there is only one, half-orc iconic, one dwarf iconic (to my knowledge) and one halfling iconic (again, this is only as far as I know), but when I learned that those daisy-eating, point ears and their half-blood kin got 4 iconics it was just too much. The next run of iconic characters (should there be one) need to be primarily of the under-represented races and primarily male (though a Golarian take on a female dwarf would be nice, too.) And I'm, sorry if I have an irrational hatred of elves, but they have been done to death (that and I'm bitter that the Iconic alchemist was an elf and not a half-orc, it's just criminal) :)

Bathazar (the summoner) is a Gnome (his write-up was in the Master of the Fallen Fortress adventure.) An example of a female dwarf does appear in Dwarves of Golarion, p 21.

Paizo is unlikely to do another "run" of iconic characters (That is now being left to 3PPs) But also, keep in mind, the real purpose of the Iconics was to provide "art" for Paizo's publications.

But, yes, I do agree that some charcters of the "under represented" races should have more screen time.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Lord Fyre wrote:

Bathazar (the summoner) is a Gnome (his write-up was in the Master of the Fallen Fortress adventure.) An example of a female dwarf does appear in Dwarves of Golarion, p 21.

Other female dorfs in art:

One in Seeker of Secrets, and a very cool design at that.
THREE in the Rivan Guide, as three quarters of the one good-aligned party in that book.
Technically two in Clash of the Kingslayers.
One in the Gamemastery Guide(and the blog)

And another vote here to get the underrepresented races some more attention. Imrijka in an AP party by year's end!


I feel sorry for her, I sympathize with her and I wish I could hug her.

Osirion

Mikaze wrote:

Other female dorfs in art:

One in Seeker of Secrets, and a very cool design at that.

Torgra is my favorite. That book oozes with awesome character art, including the various headshots scattered throughout the book, and the fiery-headed gnome and Qadiri-looking cleric on the previous Prestige Class pages.

Any of those would be awesome avatars!

Seeing the halfling female on the cover of Seeker of Secrets reminds me that I don't recall a lot of female halflings, outside of the Halflings book. Not that I care. After 3.X, I was kinda Lidda'd out anyway. :)

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

Wow, I totally never noticed that was a halfling, and I actually noted it as a cool design...

And agreed'd on them being great avatar bait.

(was it Seekers of Secrets or Guide to Darkmoon Vale that had that gnome guy rocking the dunce hat?)

Silver Crusade

Doing one of my regular re-reads of the Iconics because of the debut of Imrijka's story, and I have to say that this is one of my very favorites.

Tragic, and yet so hopeful, and I really love the Desna moment at the end.


I want to ask what magic item you think she is wearing?
Here are some i think she has but not sure, anyone want to try it.

I am guessing she wears a CORSET OF DIRE WITCHCRAFT (UE 214),CACKLING HAG’S BLOUSE (UE 220),POISONER’S GLOVES (UE 239),JAUNT BOOTS (UE 232), HEADBAND OF MENTAL PROWESS (EU 250), STAFF OF DARK FLAME (UE 196).


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps Subscriber
snobi wrote:
She's foxy.

I see what you did there

Osirion

She's my favorite iconic. & I just laughed so hard reading the discussion. I never knew her story until now.

51 to 95 of 95 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Meet the Iconics: Feiya All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.




A Knightly Mission,

Bizarre Love Triangle Isn't Just a New Order Song Anymore,

Open Call Thoughts,

Monster Mash,

A Knightly Mission,


©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.