Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

More Adventures for Pathfinders!

Monday, October 17, 2011


Illustration by Roberto Pitturru

One of the things I often heard complained about over the past year was that players did not have enough scenarios to play. Many times, they had played every scenario of a particular tier and were in a holding pattern to continue adventuring with their favorite characters.

The problem was noted and added to my list of to do items, and getting the remaining Pathfinder modules sanctioned for Pathfinder Society play was one of my top priorities. Thanks to the help of JP Chapleau, John Compton, Nick Gray and Joseph Caubo, (who combed through the modules to provide me with lists of items, as well as flavor text and ideas for Chronicle sheet boons) Pathfinder Society now has seven additional modules for sanctioned play. The list includes: Carrion Hill, City of Golden Death, Crypt of the Everflame, Curse of the Riven Sky, Masks of the Living God, Realm of the Fellnight Queen, and From Shore to Sea.

Additionally, the Chronicle sheet for Feast of Ravenmoor has been updated to include a new boon.

For those who have not had a chance to play through Carrion Hill, I highly recommend it as a Halloween weekend game. Enjoy and good gaming!

Mike Brock
Pathfinder Society Campaign Coordinator

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Pathfinder Modules Pathfinder Society Roberto Pitturru
1 to 50 of 54 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Cheliax ***** Owner - Enchanted Grounds

5 people marked this as a favorite.

I love the fact that you're doing this. Thanks for the hard work.

No good deed goes unpunished, however: Get crackin' on those conversions for Season 0, would you?!

Paizo Employee ** Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Drogon wrote:
No good deed goes unpunished, however: Get crackin' on those conversions for Season 0, would you?!

If you give a mouse a cookie...

Cheliax *

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

When will the sanctioned modules page be updated?

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This is very cool. Thanks for finding more ways to improve PFS play.

I was looking the new chronicles over and I believe that From Shore to Sea might have a mistake. The Legal Pathfinder Society Characters section states that this is legal for 2nd through 4th level characters. The adventure is made for 6th level characters. Should this not be legal for play for 5th to 7th level characters?

Silver Crusade ***

I’m really happy to see all these modules released for PFS play. It is definently a big thing I wanted to see done for PFS. This is basically the equivalent of 21 scenarios being released if each module counts as three scenarios. So lots of potential play for those of us who are having trouble finding stuff to run for our experienced players, or have played virtually everything already. I approve!

Paizo Employee ***** Global Organized Play Coordinator

1970Zombie wrote:

This is very cool. Thanks for finding more ways to improve PFS play.

I was looking the new chronicles over and I believe that From Shore to Sea might have a mistake. The Legal Pathfinder Society Characters section states that this is legal for 2nd through 4th level characters. The adventure is made for 6th level characters. Should this not be legal for play for 5th to 7th level characters?

Fixed. Sorry about that.

Andoran **

I agree with Nick. Huzzah! And thanks be to him, Mike Brock, JP Chapleau, John Compton, and Joseph Caubo for making this wonderful news possible!

Osirion ****

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This is indeed good news! Folks around here have been looking for new mods to play.

Qadira ***** RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

2 people marked this as a favorite.

For convenience, here's the legal modules, in order of PC level.

Special Characters
We Be Goblins

Absolutely Beginning PCs
Master of the Fallen Fortress

Level 1
Crypt of the Everflame
Godsmouth Heresy

Level 3
Feast of Ravensmoor
Mask of the Living God

Level 5
Carrion Hill
City of Golden Death

Level 6
From Shore to Sea

Level 7
Cult of the Ebon Destroyers
Realm of the Fellnight Queen

Level 9
The Harrowing

Level 13
Academy of Secrets

Level 14
Tomb of the Iron Medusa

(Truth to tell, I'm looking forward to Witchwar Legacy.)

Cheliax *

Mark Moreland wrote:
If you give a mouse a cookie...

... Laced with aresnic, you can make a fashion statement.

Thanks for this Micheal! And the footnotes Chris.

Andoran **

I thought that 12th level was the max for PFS characters. Did I miss a memo?

Qadira ****

casiel wrote:
I thought that 12th level was the max for PFS characters. Did I miss a memo?

Currently for Academy of Secrets and Tomb of the Iron Medusa, you can play through those in 1 of 2 ways:

1. You can create a 13th / 14th level version of a PFS character with the wealth as dictated by the WBL table in Core, and not spending more than half your gold on any one item. You can then apply the XP & Fame to a PFS character. There are no adverse effects on your character in terms of death, disease, etc. when you end the module.

2. You can play with your retired 12th-level PC, using the restrictions of PFS (aka not buying higher than 6th level scrolls, etc). Upon completion of the module, you get the Fame, Gold, etc. but no XP. If you die, you have to resolve death like you normally would in PFS (by buying a raise dead or derivative thereof.

Andoran ****

Wow SEVEN?!

You guys are awesome.

Cheliax ***

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mark Moreland wrote:
Drogon wrote:
No good deed goes unpunished, however: Get crackin' on those conversions for Season 0, would you?!
If you give a mouse a cookie...

Where's the mouse?

Shadow Lodge ***

This is excellent, Mike. I was going to write to you today to enquire whether certain older modules could be sanctioned and they're all on this list! Crypt of the Everflame will be scheduled for our next Con at the very least.

Andoran *****

Can you gain credit for Crypt of the Everflame more than once as a player or GM? It's a level 1 module, so I figure that means its replayable, but I didnt see it listed anywhere in the rules that print with the chronicle.

Cheliax ***** Owner - Enchanted Grounds

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mark Moreland wrote:
Drogon wrote:
No good deed goes unpunished, however: Get crackin' on those conversions for Season 0, would you?!
If you give a mouse a cookie...

...or a pig a pancake...

Paizo Employee ***** Global Organized Play Coordinator

godsDMit wrote:

Can you gain credit for Crypt of the Everflame more than once as a player or GM? It's a level 1 module, so I figure that means its replayable, but I didnt see it listed anywhere in the rules that print with the chronicle.

Yes it is. Any adventure that is designed for 1st level only (not tiered) can be replayed or rerun for credit as many times as a person wants.

****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This is Awesome!!!

Thank you Michael, this gives us a great deal of flexibility and was something brought up by Al and Steve at PaizoCon Oz last week. I am looking forward to running them.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

This is great news - thanks for making this happen. Now I'm spoilt for choice!

Unless I've misunderstood, while modules give 3 XP, they only count as 1 'point' towards GM stars despite the longer length; is there any chance of this changing to 2 or 3 in the future?

Andoran ***

Great work guys. I am very much looking forward to this.

** runs off to go look at the Chronicle sheets **

Paizo Employee ***** Global Organized Play Coordinator

Paz wrote:


Unless I've misunderstood, while modules give 3 XP, they only count as 1 'point' towards GM stars despite the longer length; is there any chance of this changing to 2 or 3 in the future?

On my long list and already submitted to IT the first week here. It is a very low priority at the moment with all the other stuff I have saddled them with on top of what they already were scheduled to do before I arrived. It will happen eventually. :)

Grand Lodge *** Venture-Captain, Canada—Edmonton aka Northron

Thanks for this, Michael! Always nice to have more options when placating voracious players. :)

Andoran **** Venture-Captain, Missouri—Cape Girardeau aka Arnim Thayer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Michael Brock wrote:
On my long list and already submitted to IT the first week here. It is a very low priority at the moment with all the other stuff I have saddled them with on top of what they already were scheduled to do before I arrived. It will happen eventually. :)

Be kind to IT... its amazing the stuff they can accomplish if they like you! Conversely, its fascination how much they cannot seem to accomplish for you if they don't!

Taldor *****

Chris Ballard wrote:
Mark Moreland wrote:
Drogon wrote:
No good deed goes unpunished, however: Get crackin' on those conversions for Season 0, would you?!
If you give a mouse a cookie...
Where's the mouse?

I thought it was a white rat?

Andoran *****

Michael Brock wrote:
godsDMit wrote:

Can you gain credit for Crypt of the Everflame more than once as a player or GM? It's a level 1 module, so I figure that means its replayable, but I didnt see it listed anywhere in the rules that print with the chronicle.

Yes it is. Any adventure that is designed for 1st level only (not tiered) can be replayed or rerun for credit as many times as a person wants.

Fantastic!

Not to say that Josh or Hyrum did a bad job as the campaign coordinator, but it seems like you have already accomplished a lot of stuff that was all in the 'we'll get to it eventually' pile. Keep up the good work. :)

Andoran ***

Chris Mortika wrote:

For convenience, here's the legal modules, in order of PC level.

%>-- snip

I know your post was listing the starting levels of modules. No problem -- it captures that well. To be more clear though for GMs not familiar with the modules, there is more to it than that in some cases.

When I took apart the original Price of Immortality Trilogy for the podcast, there were a few issues with level requirements on those three modules.

The biggest issue which screams out to me right now is Crypt of the Everflame. It's not a first level module -- it just looks that way. The XP awards in the module are designed so the party dings 2nd before they go down to the second level of the Crypt. This is not an accident as they will need to be at least 2nd level to fight the boss with a party of 4. Even then, that's a REALLY tough fight. 4 x 1st level for all of CotE? = TPK.

Should the matter be in doubt, I would STRONGLY recommend to play Godsmouth Heresy at level 1 and leave Crypt of the Everflame for PCs at level 2.


Fantastic news!

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

Steel_Wind wrote:
The XP awards in the module are designed so the party dings 2nd before they...

The same type of situation exists in Realm of the Fellnight Queen, as well. It's absolutely imperative that PCs hit 8th level before venturing into the Fellnight Realm to face Queen Rhoswen. Even then, look out! She's a potential TPK'er as well. And if the PCs show up still at 7th level, they'll all be singing songbird tunes in no time.

Qadira ***** RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

That's a good point, Steel_Wind. And I appreciate the comments, Neil.

So, what's the solution, then? Pathfinder Society doesn't allow a PC to advance in level half-way through a module. And there are two choices for, say, Realm of the Fellnight Queen:


  • Build a 7th level Pathfinder Society character and play through the adventure, giving the experience to any of your existing PFS PCs, or
  • Play the adventure with one of your existing PCs of 6th, 7th, or 8th level.

Neil, are you suggesting that the only really viable option is to use an existing 8th-level PC?

Silver Crusade **

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber

Oh that is a big hefty whopping great pile of awesome!

*dances*

Andoran *****

thanks Mike JP and others for putting these together!

Silver Crusade ****

Chris Mortika wrote:

That's a good point, Steel_Wind. And I appreciate the comments, Neil.

So, what's the solution, then? Pathfinder Society doesn't allow a PC to advance in level half-way through a module. And there are two choices for, say, Realm of the Fellnight Queen:


  • Build a 7th level Pathfinder Society character and play through the adventure, giving the experience to any of your existing PFS PCs, or
  • Play the adventure with one of your existing PCs of 6th, 7th, or 8th level.

Neil, are you suggesting that the only really viable option is to use an existing 8th-level PC?

The first option seems to be a bad idea in my opinion. You start at 7th level, have a challenging 1st half, and an impossible second half. Just seems like it has bad written all over it.

I propose that for PFS you have these options.

1) Make an 8th level character.
2) Use an existing 7th/8th/9th character. Players using 7th know they're in for a challenge, while 9th know they're getting it easier but should still be a challenge, and 8th being the sweet spot.

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
ThornDJL7 wrote:
...Use an existing 7th/8th/9th character. Players using 7th know they're in for a challenge, while 9th know they're getting it easier but should still be a challenge, and 8th being the sweet spot.

Personally, I'd go this route. And, while a group of 8th level PCs (optimized with 20-point-buy and possibly numbering more than four players at a time) would have a very easy go of the first couple parts in the adventure, Rhoswen (properly played) could still rock their world. Even the 9th level PCs would be greatly challenged (in my opinion).

Andoran ***

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Neil Spicer wrote:


Personally, I'd go this route. And, while a group of 8th level PCs (optimized with 20-point-buy and possibly numbering more than four players at a time) would have a very easy go of the first couple parts in the adventure, Rhoswen (properly played) could still rock their world. Even the 9th level PCs would be greatly challenged (in my opinion).

Oh there's not much doubt that a party of five or even six 9th level PCs could all end up quite dead (or effectively so) after their date with Queen Rhoswen. That is one of the deadliest encounters I've ever seen in a module. We devoted our inaugural episode of TPK Theatre to that encounter at the end of Episode #011.

More generally, I think we have to recognize that with the stand-alone modules that were released before Mark Moreland became the developer, there were several modules under both the Pathfinder RPG brand as well as under the OGL that were targeted not at one level of play, but at several levels of PCs with planned level advancement within the module. That doesn't make these modules bad -- some of them are quite excellent. It does, however, make them difficult to slot in for PFS play.

I think if we all acknowledge this and are willing to take steps to deal with the challenges that these modules impose and share our experiences with them and the approaches we took to make them work -- we'll all be better off for it.

My other concern is the suggestion that these modules should take three sessions to run is, in my view, a fundamentally flawed assumption. It's a cookie cutter sameness applied to modules which often have very different running times.

Now please don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that we therefore alter the Chronicle sheet and award more XP as a consequence. I'm fine with 3XP per module (and I'll be fine with increased table credit for GMs when that is implemented at some point in the future, too). The part that has me concerned is the suggestion to some GMs and, especially newer players, that each of the modules "should" take three 4-5 hour sessions to play is what has me worried. Some of these modules should take much longer to play. For example, I think you'd REALLY be rushing to get through City of Golden Death in twelve hours. With other modules -- that might be realistic.

My worry is that GMs and players develop a flawed preconception and feel they need to "rush" through the module to do it “properly” for PFS play. It would be wiser, in my view, if the GM slots each module for four slots in a row and accepts that it may take that long (hell -- might be even longer for some) and doesn't feel pressured to rush through the module. Just let it unspool as it needs to and have fun with it. There is nothing wrong with stopping to smell the roses every now and then, either. Rushing through a module in accordance with some preconceived train schedule can lead to bad game sessions. These modules can provide PFS with a "next level" of play to introduce new players too. It would be a shame if that opportunity is lost out of some misplaced sense of a "schedule" that must be met, come hell or high water.

Grand Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Illinois—Decatur aka TwilightKnight

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Steel_Wind wrote:
My worry is that GMs and players develop a flawed preconception and feel they need to "rush" through the module to do it “properly” for PFS play. It would be wiser, in my view, if the GM slots each module for four slots in a row and accepts that it may take that long (hell -- might be even longer for some) and doesn't feel pressured to rush through the module. Just let it unspool as it needs to and have fun with it. There is nothing wrong with stopping to smell the roses every now and then, either. Rushing through a module in accordance with some preconceived train schedule can lead to bad game sessions. These modules can provide PFS with a "next level" of play to introduce new players too. It would be a shame if that opportunity is lost out of some misplaced sense of a "schedule" that must be met, come hell or high water.

My advice is to keep module play to local events. They are not really conducive to convention play with the varying degree of time. I would keep them to run with groups where you have control of how many "slots" it will take.

In a convention environment, you need to schedule at least three slots for a mod which is a huge investment for players where there are a lot of "shiney's" to see & do.

If the mod runs quick and you're done after two slots, the players can feel cheated as they likely paid for three slots of gaming. Then they have to scramble to find a seat for the 3rd slot and likely have to pay for an extra event ticket. OTOH, if the module runs long, you risk having to rush through the final encounter/s to finish or to cut the game short of its finale. Either way, the players will feel cheated on their experience.

IMO, run this at PFS home games or local venues where you can more easily adjust the game time. If you are playing over the course of 2-3 game-days and need more time, you can easily extend the game for an extra session. If you finish early, simply schedule a new mod/scenario for the following event.

YMMV

Andoran ***

Bob Jonquet wrote:


If the mod runs quick and you're done after two slots, the players can feel cheated as they likely paid for three slots of gaming. Then they have to scramble to find a seat for the 3rd slot and likely have to pay for an extra event ticket. OTOH, if the module runs long, you risk having to rush through the final encounter/s to finish or to cut the game short of its finale. Either way, the players will feel cheated on their experience.

IMO, run this at PFS home games or local venues where you can more easily adjust the game time. If you are playing over the course of 2-3 game-days and need more time, you can easily extend the game for an extra session. If you finish early, simply schedule a new mod/scenario for the following event.

I agree. I expect over time there will be some modules that after the tires have been thoroughly kicked by fifty plus PFS GMs, that they might have their time spans quite accurately estimated via feedback on the forums.

We're not there yet, imo. Until we can reach a point where we have enough feedback on a module that we can estimate the time required with a very high degree of accuracy (assuming we ever can), Bob's advice is sound advice.

I would suggest that if at all possible (yeah, I *know* -- only so many IT "zots" available) it would be a useful exercise to add a spot in the Event Report sessions when reporting back on a PFS sanctioned module on how much time it actually took to play it, start to finish. My guess is that sort of feedback will prove useful to Michael and Mark over the course of time.


The Everflame Trilogy has been sanctioned! Yay!

Shadow Lodge

You know, I really think this is going to be a case-by-case thing. Last year at a local con, they ran Godsmouth, I believe starting around 2pm Friday afternoon (when the first slot started) and planned for around 8-10 hours for it, and from what I remember, made it in that time.

However, the GM had run it before, prepped well, and had maps made out already - which, if anything like this is to be tried, I would only do it if that were the case.

Paizo Employee * Webstore Gninja Minion

the Haunted Jester wrote:
When will the sanctioned modules page be updated?

It's been updated. :) *bounds away to fix more things*

Qadira ***** RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Liz Courts wrote:
*bounds away to fix more things*

(sigh) Who was that masked gninja?

Cheliax **

Pathfinder Modules Subscriber

Well the best part of this wonderful change is I can now take a character all the way from 1st level to 11th without ever doing a faction mission and doing it in barely more than half the time (10 days/20 sessions instead).

I look forward to them making the Demon within or the Guardians of Dragonfall legal so I can go 1-12 and never have to meet a venture captain or choose a faction. :)

(Purely for bragging rights, I love/fear my Para-Countess)

Andoran *****

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules Subscriber

Outstanding! Time to change the Game Schedule.


Steel_Wind wrote:


*stuff*

Steel_Wind's reviews are great on the Price of Immortality Trilogy. There is a concern (that he brings up) about the premise of the second module Masks of the Living God. It can be a problem for some home groups; as a PFS mod I can't imagine that it'll make things better. Just a heads up.

***** Venture-Captain, Indiana—Indianapolis aka Red-Assassin

Thanks to the people that brought these mods to PFS. While we are at it can we get some more chronicle sheets for novels.... Thanks for all the hard work.

** RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

This is awesome stuff, keep 'em coming!

Qadira **** Venture-Captain, Ireland—Belfast aka heretic

Credit where it is due! The modules have been a tantalising, rich source of content for ages and Mike has done the necessary in record speed. There is now route to play only mods which is cool. Given the way things have panned out we have only really done low tier scenarios part from a couple at PaizoConUK.

I was wondering if there was a mix of mods and scenarios that those wise in the ways of these things see as having a particular synergy.

W

*

Liz Courts wrote:
the Haunted Jester wrote:
When will the sanctioned modules page be updated?
It's been updated. :) *bounds away to fix more things*

Ummm, Miss Gninja...? I think there are sanctioned module mixups in PFS web resource land.

1. The Witchwar Legacy is listed on the PFS Sanctioned Modules page, however it is not yet flagged as sanctioned and does not have a rules/chronicle pdf (that I know of). I'd like to believe that it will be sanctioned in the near future, but have heard nothing on this subject aside from this:

Chris Mortika wrote:

For convenience, here's the legal modules, in order of PC level.

<<list omitted>>
(Truth to tell, I'm looking forward to Witchwar Legacy.)

...to which I did not see a response.

2. The Additional Chronicle section at the bottom of the PFS additional resources page (really should be labelled: the PFS Fantastic Resources page, but who am I to complain?) does not have any of these newly sanctioned modules listed (yet?).

Hope these implied requests don't burden you hard-working folks over-much. :P

Qadira **

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

Where are the chronicles people are talking about? I've checked the additional resource page several times and don't see any for the new modules?

Taldor ****

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Card Game Subscriber
teribithia9 wrote:
Where are the chronicles people are talking about? I've checked the additional resource page several times and don't see any for the new modules?

They're only on the individual module product pages at the moment. It takes a little more to gather them, since they haven't been added to the additional resources page yet. I'm sure they'll get gathered and added with the next update though.

EDIT:And links to all of the product pages are in the blog post above.

Hope this helps.

1 to 50 of 54 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Society® / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: More Adventures for Pathfinders! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.