Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

2010


The Deed Is Done!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

After weeks of shuffling and dissection, scrutiny and head scratching, we RPG Superstar judges have whittled the word count of this year's avalanche of wondrous item submissions down from several hundreds of thousands to a precious few thousand. As always, there's been an incredible amount of discussion and debate, finally elevating an impressive selection of 32 especially wondrous items. On behalf of the judges and all of us here at Paizo, I wanted to thank everyone who participated for making the judges' jobs at times so very, very difficult and deluging us with such a wide range and imaginative ocean of submissions.

So what's next? Why aren't we announcing the 32 at this very second? How can we contain our enthusiasm!? Well, it's hard, but will be all worth while, as between now and next Tuesday, last year's final four superstars (Eric Bailey, Kevin Carter, Neil Spicer, and Matthew Stinson) will be adding their voices to Sean's, Clark's, and my comments, prepping each for the first round of voting on January 26th. Exciting stuff! So tune in next Tuesday to see if your item made the cut and to help us choose this year's RPG Superstar!

Wes Schneider
Managing Editor

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: RPG Superstar
1 to 50 of 127 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Cheliax

We want to know who the 32 are now.


Wait... Are they posted Monday or Tuesday? I thought it was supposed to be Tuesday the 19th at 2:00pm?

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32 aka Hydro

Huh, maybe they ARE giving the top 32 an extra day to celebrate before Tuesday.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

It said Tuesday once and Monday once, where it should have said Tuesday both times. I've fixed it.

Monday is actually a holiday at Paizo.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

David Fryer wrote:
We want to know who the 32 are now.

I'll give you a hint...

There are 32 of them.

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32 aka Hydro

Vic Wertz wrote:
David Fryer wrote:
We want to know who the 32 are now.

I'll give you a hint...

There are 32 of them.

Lies!

I don't believe you; you'll have to list names so we can count them.

Star Voter 2013

hopefully they've realized that revealing the winners a day ahead doesnt compromise round 2, or that revealing both on Tuesday at 2 will act as a DOS attack as 1,000 plus unique hits will all be aimed at the server at the same time. :)

edit Vic ninjaed it on me...


Vic Wertz wrote:

I'll give you a hint...

There are 32 of them.

*runs through one of those "Bible Code" programs looking for "32," "Superstar," and "Behold I saw a great beast rise from the Euphrates with the head of Dennis Rodman."*

Haha, now I know, and I'm not telling, mwahahah!

Cheliax Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

Vic Wertz wrote:
David Fryer wrote:
We want to know who the 32 are now.

I'll give you a hint...

There are 32 of them.

Ah-hah!

You've fallen right into my trap. By saying there are 32 of them, you must think that we will believe you. But, we know that you are prone to deception, therefore, there must be some number other than 32. But, you know that we know that you are prone to deception, so maybe there really are 32 and you are telling us this to make us doubt you.

Never fight a land war in Asia.


Sebastian wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
David Fryer wrote:
We want to know who the 32 are now.

I'll give you a hint...

There are 32 of them.

Ah-hah!

You've fallen right into my trap. By saying there are 32 of them, you must think that we will believe you. But, we know that you are prone to deception, therefore, there must be some number other than 32. But, you know that we know that you are prone to deception, so maybe there really are 32 and you are telling us this to make us doubt you.

Never fight a land war in Asia.

Have you been snorting too much iocane powder off hookers' bellies again?

Qadira

Ambrosia Slaad wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

Vic Wertz wrote:

David Fryer wrote:

We want to know who the 32 are now.

I'll give you a hint...

There are 32 of them.

Ah-hah!

You've fallen right into my trap. By saying there are 32 of them, you must think that we will believe you. But, we know that you are prone to deception, therefore, there must be some number other than 32. But, you know that we know that you are prone to deception, so maybe there really are 32 and you are telling us this to make us doubt you.

Never fight a land war in Asia.

Have you been snorting too much iocane powder off hookers' bellies again?

Not likely, the Bella Sara have spent the last five years building up a resistance to hookers.


I'm feeling the buildup of anticipation that was no doubt the intention of this blog post.

No. Wait. It's gone.


Patience please.

All will be revealed at the appointed time.

Which is when Sebastian sneezes and downs a belly shot of grapple juice.


32 you say? Hmm. 3+2=5 and 5 is how many letters are in my last name...Eureka! I must be a winner!

anthrorob


Sebastian wrote:

Never fight a land war in Asia.

Are you finished yet?

Osirion

Math and computer science problem sets... gotta do em to keep mind busy... also on the off chance that I do get in, they're due Wednesday and Thursday... and I am soooo not doing round 2 and 4 assignments simultaneously... must keep working...


anthrorob wrote:

32 you say? Hmm. 3+2=5 and 5 is how many letters are in my last name...Eureka! I must be a winner!

anthrorob

Eureka has 6 letters, I'm sorry you're recollection of your own last name has been incorrect your entire life...therefore you mustn't've won...

My avatar has 5 letters in the first name, thus I must've won

;)


varianor wrote:

Patience please.

All will be revealed at the appointed time.

Which is when Sebastian sneezes and downs a belly shot of grapple juice.

See Grapple Juice is what you get when an Ogre grapples a halfling...


Oh, I'm excited again. It's come back!

...

damn! gone again.

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16 aka tejón

I once tried some grapple juice. (Grape + Apple.)

It wasn't great, but after I added rum, it was improved grapple juice.

(And yes, at the time I was making those puns out loud.)


KnightErrantJR wrote:


Are you finished yet?

Stop saying that!

Cheliax

anthrorob wrote:

32 you say? Hmm. 3+2=5 and 5 is how many letters are in my last name...Eureka! I must be a winner!

anthrorob

I have five letters in my last name, and my first name. I must be a sure thing then.


Xaaon of Korvosa wrote:
varianor wrote:

Patience please.

All will be revealed at the appointed time.

Which is when Sebastian sneezes and downs a belly shot of grapple juice.

See Grapple Juice is what you get when an Ogre grapples a halfling...

LOL, I'm going to use that one in our campaign!! Oh and I am a binary type of guy, so obviously top 32 means 0-31, so obviously whoever is #1 isn't the winner!! I volunteer to be top 0 for 2010.

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

::coming up for air::

Okay. I've made it through one third of the items now with my comments. I'm doing my best to try and not be too wordy. But, hey, I'm me. There's no word count limitation on this thing. And a lot of these items are so cool they encourage extra feedback.

So...I'm going back in.

::takes deep breath::

Cheliax

Hydro wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
David Fryer wrote:
We want to know who the 32 are now.

I'll give you a hint...

There are 32 of them.

Lies!

I don't believe you; you'll have to list names so we can count them.

+1. I'm pretty sure I didn't make the list but I can't wallow in my misery until I know.

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

::coming up for air again::

Okay. Just 9 more items left to go, and I'm still struggling to keep from writing a novel on every review. There's some really innovative stuff in here. And some great examples of what to do (and not do) in a wondrous item's design. I'd encourage everyone (regardless of whether you make the Top 32 or not) to read through the comments and feedback on each item. There's some good insight in everyone's analysis.

And now, time to dive back in. I'm hoping I can wrap up all my feedback before tomorrow. Wish me luck!

::takes another deep breath::


So, I've been making plans.

If I'm in, I'm going to drink a 4 of Guinness in celebration.

If I'm not, I'm going to drink a 4 of Guinness in mourning.

Either way, I'm a winner!

Founder, Legendary Games & Publisher, Necromancer Games, RPG Superstar Judge

NSpicer wrote:

::coming up for air again::

Okay. Just 9 more items left to go, and I'm still struggling to keep from writing a novel on every review. There's some really innovative stuff in here. And some great examples of what to do (and not do) in a wondrous item's design. I'd encourage everyone (regardless of whether you make the Top 32 or not) to read through the comments and feedback on each item. There's some good insight in everyone's analysis.

And now, time to dive back in. I'm hoping I can wrap up all my feedback before tomorrow. Wish me luck!

::takes another deep breath::

Its really great having the guest judges comment.

Our comments (the 3 judges) are from the selection process for weeding into the keep file and are much shorter. We mostly edit out our discussion on the selection and ranking of the keepers into the top 32. The guest judges then come in and, once we have our 32 plus alts, review them. That lets them give an after the fact critique which is much more indepth (because they arent reviewing hundreds upon hundreds of items). It really works great. I've been reading their comments and they are great.


NSpicer wrote:

::coming up for air again::

Okay. Just 9 more items left to go, and I'm still struggling to keep from writing a novel on every review. There's some really innovative stuff in here. And some great examples of what to do (and not do) in a wondrous item's design. I'd encourage everyone (regardless of whether you make the Top 32 or not) to read through the comments and feedback on each item. There's some good insight in everyone's analysis.

And now, time to dive back in. I'm hoping I can wrap up all my feedback before tomorrow. Wish me luck!

::takes another deep breath::

<Ominously flaps wings and comes in to perch in the thread>

Awrrrk! Luck. Wish you.
*There is a magic twinkly noise, and suddenly NSpicer is translated into the solo module Caverns of the Snow Witch which operated under a variant third edition system where characters did indeed have a Luck score. Suddenly he must grapple with mindflayer ripoffs and a death spell which simply desn't want to let go... Ahh, the perils of using the word 'wish' in a D&D environment. *
Awrrrrk.
The stork croaks sadly and flies off.
First post with a new alias!

Paizo Employee Developer , Dedicated Voter 2014

That Old Guy wrote:

So, I've been making plans.

If I'm in, I'm going to drink a 4 of Guinness in celebration.

If I'm not, I'm going to drink a 4 of Guinness in mourning.

Either way, I'm a winner!

I like that approach. I'll join you in that.

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

Okay. I've got 5 left to review and I'm probably going to save them until tomorrow. Found some real gems in this late batch. And I'm really excited to find out the names behind these item designs so I can cheer everyone on through the rest of the competition. Excellent work, folks!

Qadira RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32 aka carborundum

That Old Guy wrote:

So, I've been making plans.

If I'm in, I'm going to drink a 4 of Guinness in celebration.

If I'm not, I'm going to drink a 4 of Guinness in mourning.

Either way, I'm a winner!

What's a 4? Is that like a gallon? A hogshead? An amphora?

Paizo Employee Developer , Dedicated Voter 2014

Guinness Draught cans come in a 4-pack and an 8-pack.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

NSpicer wrote:
And I'm really excited to find out the names behind these item designs so I can cheer everyone on through the rest of the competition. Excellent work, folks!

Yeah, that's a pretty cool aspect to the first round. Finding out that your friends and messageboard colleagues placed in the contest. One can sort of see them in a new light once they unviel some of their own creative thinking.

It had less of an impact for me in the first year of RPG Superstar, but I've had a chance to associate names a lot more. Its always interesting to see folks whose posts you read get some recognition.

Osirion Marathon Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
NSpicer wrote:
Okay. I've got 5 left to review and I'm probably going to save them until tomorrow. Found some real gems in this late batch. And I'm really excited to find out the names behind these item designs so I can cheer everyone on through the rest of the competition. Excellent work, folks!

So you don't get to see the names as you check them? I take it that means you can't email me and let me know I made it huh? :P

Waiting wasn't too bad till yesterday for some reason and then I started getting antsy.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Wicht wrote:
NSpicer wrote:
Okay. I've got 5 left to review and I'm probably going to save them until tomorrow. Found some real gems in this late batch. And I'm really excited to find out the names behind these item designs so I can cheer everyone on through the rest of the competition. Excellent work, folks!

So you don't get to see the names as you check them? I take it that means you can't email me and let me know I made it huh? :P

Waiting wasn't too bad till yesterday for some reason and then I started getting antsy.

I know what you mean! It's getting increasingly more difficult to concentrate on other aspects of life or even trying to prepare for future rounds. The time can't pass quick enough. All those juicy little tidbits of info Neil and the judges have been teasing us with are making it even more difficult (but keep them coming!).


Adam Daigle wrote:
Guinness Draught cans come in a 4-pack and an 8-pack.

I have a couple of bottles of Guinness Draught in the fridge - I shall have to break them out on Tuesday!

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

Wicht wrote:
So you don't get to see the names as you check them? I take it that means you can't email me and let me know I made it huh? :P

That would be correct. :-)

They pretty much keep the anonymity cloaking device up throughout both the sorting by the three primary judges as well as the feedback of the guest judges. It's best that way. If I knew the names associated with these devices, I'd probably color my comments much differently. As it stands now, I can be a heartless bastard and not worry over who I'm offending. ;-)

But in all seriousness, I do hope no one takes any of my comments the wrong way. I'm a pretty critical guy. Have been all my life. I do whatever I can to soften any criticism I might bring on something and to make sure it's as constructive as possible. But I'd be fooling myself if I thought I succeeded everytime.

To me, every one of the items I'm reviewing has an important spark to them. And that spark set them apart from hundreds of others. Also, I can see the potential in some of the designers behind these items based on where their ideas, writing, and creative interpretation of the rules took them. There aren't any perfectly formed RPG Superstars in the first round. But, by the end of the competition, there will be...

::insert Yoda-voice::

"There will be!"

So, I'll say it again, well done everybody!

--Neil


With that many extra people commenting on the items before they see publication, that may truncate the need for a lot of public dissection of the mechanics. Or it may increase the discussion. It will be interesting to see if anyone blinks and just "has" to comment on their item before the end of the round.

Taldor PaizoCon Founder, Wayfinder Editor-in-Chief

NSpicer wrote:
But in all seriousness, I do hope no one takes any of my comments the wrong way.

And I hope you won't take it the wrong way if I happen to strand you in South Seattle during your tour in June. >:D

For the record:
Just Kidding! ;-)

Osirion Marathon Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
NSpicer wrote:

But in all seriousness, I do hope no one takes any of my comments the wrong way. I'm a pretty critical guy. Have been all my life. I do whatever I can to soften any criticism I might bring on something and to make sure it's as constructive as possible. But I'd be fooling myself if I thought I succeeded everytime.

Neil, if I make the top 32 I don't care how badly you bad mouth my item. I'll still be happy. :)


Wicht wrote:
NSpicer wrote:

But in all seriousness, I do hope no one takes any of my comments the wrong way. I'm a pretty critical guy. Have been all my life. I do whatever I can to soften any criticism I might bring on something and to make sure it's as constructive as possible. But I'd be fooling myself if I thought I succeeded everytime.

Neil, if I make the top 32 I don't care how badly you bad mouth my item. I'll still be happy. :)

This.

And if my item doesn't make it I'm sooo making a "Neil, please give feedback on my item" thread ;)

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

Timitius wrote:
And I hope you won't take it the wrong way if I happen to strand you in South Seattle during your tour in June. >:D

"Urk!" O_o

Wicht wrote:
Neil, if I make the top 32 I don't care how badly you bad mouth my item. I'll still be happy. :)

That's the spirit! Ummm...I think? <_<

Azmahel wrote:
And if my item doesn't make it I'm sooo making a "Neil, please give feedback on my item" thread ;)

Oh no! I've seen what Clark goes through with those things. And I'm way more wordy! I could never take on that kind of self-punishment. Besides, I'll leave that to the professional judges. I'm just a color commentator this round.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Lilith wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:
Guinness Draught cans come in a 4-pack and an 8-pack.
I have a couple of bottles of Guinness Draught in the fridge - I shall have to break them out on Tuesday!

Guiness is my beverage of choice while on deployment, but at the moment, I've got a couple 6-packs of Shiner bock in my fridge...and I doubt if I'll be waiting until Tuesday to break one out. ;)


NSpicer wrote:


Azmahel wrote:
And if my item doesn't make it I'm sooo making a "Neil, please give feedback on my item" thread ;)
Oh no! I've seen what Clark goes through with those things. And I'm way more wordy! I could never take on that kind of self-punishment. Besides, I'll leave that to the professional judges. I'm just a color commentator this round.

Yeah, i can totally see where you are coming from, in fact i was mostly joking about this. If you could keep up with something like this however, it would be really incredible. Your plethora of advice so far really helped me and i bet countless others design and motivation.

You and all the others have done so much, put so much effort in this contest and the community, it would be foolish to demand more.

You are all my heroes!


Paris Crenshaw wrote:
Lilith wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:
Guinness Draught cans come in a 4-pack and an 8-pack.
I have a couple of bottles of Guinness Draught in the fridge - I shall have to break them out on Tuesday!
Guiness is my beverage of choice while on deployment, but at the moment, I've got a couple 6-packs of Shiner bock in my fridge...and I doubt if I'll be waiting until Tuesday to break one out. ;)

I have a wonderful, home-made bottle of mead sitting on my shelf just for this opportunity.

Perfect for soothing wounds and celebrations alike.


Azmahel wrote:
Paris Crenshaw wrote:
Lilith wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:
Guinness Draught cans come in a 4-pack and an 8-pack.
I have a couple of bottles of Guinness Draught in the fridge - I shall have to break them out on Tuesday!
Guiness is my beverage of choice while on deployment, but at the moment, I've got a couple 6-packs of Shiner bock in my fridge...and I doubt if I'll be waiting until Tuesday to break one out. ;)

I have a wonderful, home-made bottle of mead sitting on my shelf just for this opportunity.

Perfect for soothing wounds and celebrations alike.

Used to know a guy who made mead for his SCA affiliations. He then developed "Power Mead," which involved multiple freeze-and-scrape cycles to cold-concentrate the stuff. It was *miraculous.*


Adam Daigle wrote:
Guinness Draught cans come in a 4-pack and an 8-pack.

Don't forget the money-saving 12 and 24 packs.

Usually supermarket discounted too...

Ok, so perhaps that was a bit Guinness nerdy. Ah well (crack, pop, whoosh, pour)


Stuart Lean wrote:

(crack, pop, whoosh, pour)

You forgot "aaahhhhhh." Crack, pop, whoosh, pour, aaahhhhhh.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

varianor wrote:
It will be interesting to see if anyone blinks and just "has" to comment on their item before the end of the round.

This is an interesting comment to me (not in a bad way). And my intent is not to put varianor personally on the spot, so this question is to the audience and/or judges in general.

Are we not supposed to discuss our item or respond to comments? Or.. is it a case of we can if we like but it's considered in poor taste?

'Cause I wanna do what the cool kids do. ;-) That is, if I am so lucky and blessed to be among the 32, which is no guarantee (or even necessarily likely).

It seems to me that, if they even have time, that it would be cool to have people comment on their very own items and respond to positive and/or constructive comments. I understand that it is prohibited prior to any voting round, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to Round One after the Judges decisions have been made.

Common sense, good sportsmanship, and good taste taken into account of course. I mean stuff like, what was going through our heads when we made certain design decisions.

Is this wrongbad, or tacky?

EDIT: Maybe I'm not understanding the comment I quoted above. If one is commenting on their own Round One item, by definition that Round is over. Perhaps varianor meant the following Rounds, which makes more sense.

1 to 50 of 127 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / RPG Superstar™ / Previous Contests / RPG Superstar™ 2010 / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: The Deed Is Done! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

Honor the Hold!,

Armored,

Wrapping Up the Mummy's Mask,

Year of the Sky Key Q&A,

Pathfinder Battles Preview: Iconics Rise Again!,


©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.