Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


A Trickle of Submissions

Thursday, January 7, 2010

I love RPG Superstar. I love reading the RPG Superstar threads, I love reading the new ideas, I love the discussions, arguments, and the passion involved in every post. There is a small side effect to RPG Superstar, however, that I'm not sure everyone is aware of: open call submissions for Pathfinder Society vanish.

What's that mean for you? Well, let's assume 500 people submitted to RPG Superstar (I'm not going to reveal the actual number). The odds that one of those 500 people will make it past the initial round is (rounded up) 1 in 16—not bad, but still kind of a long shot. It also means that more than 450 of you won't make it—it's just a mathematical fact.

Here's another mathematical fact: of the last 10 submissions I received for the open call, I accepted 2 of them. That's 1 in 5. Those are good odds. If you don't make it past round one of RPG Superstar (or, heck, round 2, 3, 4, etc.), don't give up! There's another avenue out there to see your name on a Paizo publication and that's the Pathfinder Society Organized Play open call. Give it a shot—the worst I'm going to do is say no.

Joshua J. Frost
Events Manager

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Open Call Pathfinder Society RPG Superstar
1 to 50 of 68 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee ** Developer

I've already got some ideas cooking for another submission or two when I wrap up current projects. One of them, which will blow you away, revolves around

Spoiler:
Explosive Runes

But everyone else should be submitting things too! Don't be afraid, folks.

**

HAW! I didn't click it!

Andoran ***

Just let the rogue click it...everyone else stand back!

Joshua J. Frost wrote:
HAW! I didn't click it!

Andoran *

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I've got two or three ideas kicking around, and I may patch up some of my older submissions from when you were more specific, just been busy with the holidays and all. Hopefully I'll send one in by the end of the month.

Taldor

Interesting numbers. The one time I submitted to the Pathfinder open call you took no entries. I'll admit my entry wasn't very good and I deserved to be rejected but you eventually gave the job to someone that didn't even submit. That kind of hurt. Anyways that's a contest and this is a job. You don't have to accept a submission. If you get 80 submissions and each one you deem sub par then no one gets the job. Mathematics don't really come into the equation.

**

It's happened twice, it's true, that the open call produced no fruitful submissions, but it's also been the opposite a half-dozen or so times and several of those authors are now part of my regular stable of designers. So don't give up. Persistence pays off.

Qadira ***** RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

Josh,

If one of us were to submit something promising to the PFS Open Call and, miracle of miracles, were to be selected in the Superstar competition, what would happen?

Qadira RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

Chris Mortika wrote:

Josh,

If one of us were to submit something promising to the PFS Open Call and, miracle of miracles, were to be selected in the Superstar competition, what would happen?

Shouldn't matter. The scenarios are not 'print' editions, I think.

Paizo Employee ** Developer

Chris Mortika wrote:

Josh,

If one of us were to submit something promising to the PFS Open Call and, miracle of miracles, were to be selected in the Superstar competition, what would happen?

I asked Vic and Sean about it before I entered this year, after I had a PFS scenario assignment. They said that not only is a pdf product not "print" but that if it hadn't come out before the contest started I was ok.

Qadira ***** RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

Sorry, I was unclear.

Josh,

What would happen if one of us were to submit a good scenario proposal, which you wanted us to flesh out into a fell manuscript, but we were unable to do so until late March because, miracle of miracles, we were also selected to participate in the Superstar competition?

Gobbling up more freelance assignments than one has time to complete doesn't seem a very Superstar thing to do.

**

Chris Mortika wrote:

Josh,

If one of us were to submit something promising to the PFS Open Call and, miracle of miracles, were to be selected in the Superstar competition, what would happen?

Should this miracle of miracles occur, I'll deal with it then. :-)

More to the point: don't let the idea that you *might* get into RPG Superstar dissuade you from submitting to the open call. Exceptions can always be made for a quality submission.

**

This thread is about submissions, submission advice, and so on. I've cleaned out some unrelated posts. Let's please keep this thread on topic.

Andoran Venture-Lieutenant, Canada—Montreal aka Ryan. Costello

Suppose someone is a big fan of an OGL monster in the Monster Manual that didn't make the cut into the Bestiary. Is it frowned upon for that hypothetical person to submit an entire scenario based around that monster in hopes of seeing it in Bestiary II?

**

Whether or not a monster is in a scenario (or an Adventure Path adventure for that matter) has no bearing on it being in Bestiary II. We already know what's going to be in Bestiary II.

If you want to use an OGL monster from any source, I don't have a problem with that.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16, 2012 Top 32

A more generic version of a question asked above:

If someone submits a query that you like, how soon after hearing back from you would they be expected to deliver the full manuscript for consideration?

**

Totally depends where I am in the assignment rotation. Could be anywhere between 4-to-8 weeks, maybe longer if we're into the summer lull where I rely more on established freelancers than open call freelancers.


Hey Josh,

What do you think about adding a timeframe for when you'd like to see what you are currently seeking? I am mulling around one of the ideas you had up for the last batch of submissions (admittedly, most of those fit into the current 1-7 Inner Sea call), but I didn't see the last call until late December.

And do you have a rough idea of how often you'll be updating the list? Even with the current looser requests, inspiration might be different just based on Tier level or geographic setting.

thanks!

Qadira *****

Josh,

I am currently working on a submission for you. I find myself having a few questions and concerns (I don't want to see my submission rejected because of one of those things).

I wish to write a Qadira adventure you are asking for. So I've been combing Qadira, Gateway to the East for ideas and something fun that would be adapted to low-level PCs. I think I have something that works and that fits what I believe to be what you want for PFS. My proposal takes place in and around Katheer and features NPC with local flavor.

My questions are about the venture captain in the adventure. QGttE says nothing about the Society.

Do you have a VC stationed in Katheer? Alternatively, is it okay to leave the description of that NPC open so that you can create or define him? How critical is it do define the NPC for the proposal?
Is there a PFS adventure that takes place in Qadira?

JP

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

Obviously, I'm not Josh. But, you might want to check out the Seekers of Secrets sourcebook. It pretty much lays out the major Pathfinder lodges and personnel for each major nation. Qadira, included...


Katharan al-Zawree wrote:

Is there a PFS adventure that takes place in Qadira?

Qadiran adventures include:

#3 Murder on the Silken Caravan

#14 Many Fortunes of Grandmaster Torch

#21 The Eternal Obelisk - Katheer

#27 Our Lady of Silver - Katheer

#39 Citadel of Flame

Andoran * Contributor, RPG Superstar 2012

NSpicer wrote:
Obviously, I'm not Josh. But, you might want to check out the Seekers of Secrets sourcebook. It pretty much lays out the major Pathfinder lodges and personnel for each major nation. Qadira, included...

Damn, I lose the "Who is Josh Frost's sock puppet?" pool. :)

Seriously, though, I will be working on a query this weekend, and I'm a little unclear as to the format of the query. The first one I tried was a synopsis of my proposed adventure, and I know it had other problems, but I wanted to see if that format was appropriate.

Qadira *****

Thanks Jared... I haven't yet played any of those adventures yet... Will try to find tables for them...

JP

**

I am less worried about you getting the NPC venture-captain right then I am about you sending me a fun, well-written story. I've never said no because someone got an NPC wrong. :-)

Andoran

Joshua J. Frost wrote:


More to the point: don't let the idea that you *might* get into RPG Superstar dissuade you from submitting to the open call. Exceptions can always be made for a quality submission.

You know, I was seriously wondering about this situation! If the odds are better to try out for the open call you'd think people would go for both! Perhaps the idea of it being a "contest" makes people think they have better odds. Clearly, that's not true!

Andoran *

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I sent two queries yesterday =p

Osirion ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Playtesting tonight. Hopefully out the virtual door by Friday.

**

I beat the bushes for submissions and got a lot of them! I hope to read them and get back to the authors in the next week or so. I'm working on the January scenarios pretty hard this week as well as working on super secret future announcements.

Andoran *

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Joshua J. Frost wrote:
I beat the bushes for submissions and got a lot of them! I hope to read them and get back to the authors in the next week or so. I'm working on the January scenarios pretty hard this week as well as working on super secret future announcements.

Aw man, that means we actually have to COMPETE again? =p

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16, 2012 Top 32

Coridan wrote:
Joshua J. Frost wrote:
I beat the bushes for submissions and got a lot of them! I hope to read them and get back to the authors in the next week or so. I'm working on the January scenarios pretty hard this week as well as working on super secret future announcements.
Aw man, that means we actually have to COMPETE again? =p

You think you have to compete now? Wait until Tuesday when around a thousand people learn they didn't make the Superstar Top 32. Where do you think they'll be going next?

Osirion

Joshua J. Frost wrote:
I beat the bushes for submissions and got a lot of them! I hope to read them and get back to the authors in the next week or so. I'm working on the January scenarios pretty hard this week as well as working on super secret future announcements.

Does this mean the call is closed or are you still accepting submissions? I have a play test scheduled for this Saturday. Thanks.

Sczarni *** Venture-Lieutenant, Connecticut—Manchester aka Cpt_kirstov

FirstChevalier wrote:
Joshua J. Frost wrote:
I beat the bushes for submissions and got a lot of them! I hope to read them and get back to the authors in the next week or so. I'm working on the January scenarios pretty hard this week as well as working on super secret future announcements.
Does this mean the call is closed or are you still accepting submissions? I have a play test scheduled for this Saturday. Thanks.

As I understand it, this is a pretty open call as far as time is concerned... if you have a good story, it's welcome

**

FirstChevalier wrote:
Does this mean the call is closed or are you still accepting submissions? I have a play test scheduled for this Saturday. Thanks.

I'm not one for subtlety. If the open call were closed, I'd just say, "it's closed" and it's not, so please keep submitting. :-)

**

I've updated our open call page to more accurately reflect what I'm seeking. The first two paragraphs, specifically, now contain additional details about what a submission should look like.

Andoran *

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I didn't get a response after 72 hours (submitted Monday) but I also know you just got a slew of responses. Did you get them or shall I send them again?

Paizo Employee ** Developer

I drank too much coffee too late at night last night and thought my Ambien would put me to sleep anyway. I was wrong. Came up with a bunch of plot ideas for future scenarios as well as some general suggestions for improving PFS as a whole while tripping, though. Sorry to have sent all those to you in that rambling, hallucination-induced email at 6am, Josh.

Note to others: this is not the suggested way to get Josh to publish your scenario, but it did seem like a good idea to me at the time.

**

It's a busy week for me wrapping up the January scenarios and I got a decent number of scenarios. Since I'm trying to respond with more than a yes-no right now, my responses are delayed. I received them. Don't resend.

Sczarni *** Venture-Lieutenant, Connecticut—Manchester aka Cpt_kirstov

yoda8myhead wrote:

I drank too much coffee too late at night last night and thought my Ambien would put me to sleep anyway. I was wrong. Came up with a bunch of plot ideas for future scenarios as well as some general suggestions for improving PFS as a whole while tripping, though. Sorry to have sent all those to you in that rambling, hallucination-induced email at 6am, Josh.

Note to others: this is not the suggested way to get Josh to publish your scenario, but it did seem like a good idea to me at the time.

now just think what kind of ideas you would have come up with if liquor were involved as well!

Paizo Employee ** Developer

Cpt_kirstov wrote:
now just think what kind of ideas you would have come up with if liquor were involved as well!

I imagine Josh would have just hit delete even faster if I had started it by saying "I'm hopped up on caffeine, drunk off my ass, and hallucinating on sleeping pills."

**

yoda8myhead wrote:
I imagine Josh would have just hit delete even faster if I had started it by saying "I'm hopped up on caffeine, drunk off my ass, and hallucinating on sleeping pills."

As I understand it, this is how Tim Hitchcock does his best work. :-P

Cheliax Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

yoda8myhead wrote:
Cpt_kirstov wrote:
now just think what kind of ideas you would have come up with if liquor were involved as well!
I imagine Josh would have just hit delete even faster if I had started it by saying "I'm hopped up on caffeine, drunk off my ass, and hallucinating on sleeping pills."

Oddly enough, that's how I begin all my emails (and inappropriate phone calls) to Josh...

Andoran *

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Joshua J. Frost wrote:
It's a busy week for me wrapping up the January scenarios and I got a decent number of scenarios. Since I'm trying to respond with more than a yes-no right now, my responses are delayed. I received them. Don't resend.

Thanks, I missed out on the feedback for scenario submissions that happened earlier and am looking forward to that as much as I am hoping to get selected.


Joshua J. Frost wrote:
I've updated our open call page to more accurately reflect what I'm seeking. The first two paragraphs, specifically, now contain additional details about what a submission should look like.

I read through the updates and I am wondering, since it just says scenarios set anywhere in the Inner Sea region, is there a spoiler-free compilation anywhere of the settings used for the already published scenarios? I just don't feel like writing one that is set in an area that has already been done a lot.

Andoran *

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Enevhar Aldarion wrote:
Joshua J. Frost wrote:
I've updated our open call page to more accurately reflect what I'm seeking. The first two paragraphs, specifically, now contain additional details about what a submission should look like.
I read through the updates and I am wondering, since it just says scenarios set anywhere in the Inner Sea region, is there a spoiler-free compilation anywhere of the settings used for the already published scenarios? I just don't feel like writing one that is set in an area that has already been done a lot.

The vast majority of them take place in Absalom, Andoran, Qadira, Cheliax and Taldor. There's been a few in Osirion and Jalmeray as well as a couple other further off places, my next query which I will probably wait on until getting feedback from my last two will be Mendev =p

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Enevhar Aldarion wrote:
I read through the updates and I am wondering, since it just says scenarios set anywhere in the Inner Sea region, is there a spoiler-free compilation anywhere of the settings used for the already published scenarios? I just don't feel like writing one that is set in an area that has already been done a lot.

Here's a quick list of locations for the Season 1 scenarios.

#29: Talor
#30: Taldor
#31: Absalom
#32: Osirion
#33: Jalmeray
#34: Mwangi Expanse
#35: Absalom
#36: Cheliax
#37: Andoran
#38: Cheliax
#39: Qadira
#40: Absalom

Osirion ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Josh,
I forgot to add my Idea Submission Agreement. Resent the entire thing with that form signed and included. Sorry about the repeat e-mail, but I figured I should resend the entire thing, not just some random agreement sheet.


Is Varisia considered to be in the Inner Sea Region?

**

Everything on the current world map above which there's a tag that reads "Inner Sea Region" is considered the Inner Sea region. ;-)

Basically, I'm not looking for adventures in Vudra or Tian Xia or Arcadia etc. Just the known world that we've mapped.

1 to 50 of 68 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Society® / Scenario Submission Talk / Paizo Blog: A Trickle of Submissions All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.