Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Society


Starfinder


Starfinder Society


When You War for the Crown, You Win or You Die

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

As the Ruins of Azlant sink below the waves, a new age dawns across the Inner Sea. Discord is coming to Taldor. More accurately: the discord that has simmered quietly just beneath the staid surface of Taldor is ready to boil over, and consume the remnants of the once-great empire. Taldor's end is in sight, and has been for a thousand years. The end may be a generation away, or a century, or an age, but always it closes. The nations passengers know they plod steadily toward to edge of the world, and yet the captains at the wheel refuse to see, refuse to change the course. Most Adventure Paths aim to save the world from a new and immediate threat to emerge on the scene, but the villain threatening to destroy Taldor is entropy and tradition. And victory means changing how a whole nation thinks. Victory means winning the War for the Crown.

War for the Crown began two years ago, as an idea I pitched as part of the meetings that eventually led to Ironfang Invasion Adventure Path. I wanted players to feel like they had some real stake in the future of the Inner Sea region, but the worry at the time was that my first AP should be something more traditional while I learned the ropes. I put my notes in a drawer and a year later I brought them back out, and this time I dug my feet in. This time I wanted to tackle one of my first loves of the Inner Sea: Taldor! And I wanted the PCs to help flesh out this maligned and oversimplified nation—seen as little more than laughable aristocracy stereotypes—into a complex nation on par with Andoran and Cheliax. I wanted Taldor to have a future and I wanted the PCs to help guide it there.

And that's what we got.

The final War for the Crown evolved a lot from those first notes. In my first draft, the PCs chose one of three inheritors to back, and the adventure text itself would abstract the adventure a little more, referring to the major NPCs as the Patron, the Ally, and the Adversary. As much as I loved this idea, the problem is that it means about 1/3 of each volume would be useless to any given group (and no I couldn't make the books any longer; I asked). It also caused problems in not being able to flesh out specific NPCs very well, since any given NPC would need to serve one of three masters. Eventually we started asking which of the three candidates would be the "canon" inheritor of the Primogen Crown, and opted to focus the entire AP around working for them.

That "canon" inheritor, who now ends up your patron, was Princess Eutropia. Not exactly shocking, given that we've teased her revolutionary leanings and political goals since the original Pathfinder Chronicles: Campaign Setting back in 2008. The lady's worked hard and wants try steering Taldor away from its 600-year status quo of slow ruin, and there are more than a few traditionalists who think she hasn't earned it, or that she has sinister motives, or just that a woman needs to know her place. Grand princess Eutropia going into the second decade of Golarion's existence doesn't just move the timeline forward, it means Taldor becomes a nation of tradition vs. progress and old vs. new, a nation of backroom political intrigue where fortunes and family fates hang in the balance. Not just a stagnant world of laughable, foppish nobles.

And if your group doesn't particularly want to back Eutropia for the throne? If they want to select their own candidate or make their own grab for power? The core plot of War for the Crown is (hopefully) designed to still be flexible enough that a GM can adapt to a different inheritor taking center stage for their campaign. The foreword for #127: Crownfall has a few notes and suggestions for adapting the campaign to your own table.

Interchangeable Pieces

One of the big goals for War for the Crown was a campaign with a lot of fun player options for tables to use or ignore depending on their own preferences. Several adventures use the various social combat and influence rules from Pathfinder: Ultimate Intrigue, but GMs should feel free takes the NPC personality notes and goals and let their tables simply play out dramatic scenes. Volume 2 introduces two special subsystems to capture two different aspects of Taldor: The Cults of Personality—so PCs can feel like movers and shakers all on their own—and the Relics system—which introduces magic items that grow stronger as their wielder accomplished great things on behalf of their people. Social, scheming tables will find the first system a delightful little distraction between game sessions, directing their psychophants and hangers-on to spy, spread word of their awesomeness, or rob the public blind. More combat-oriented tables will love the second, as your favorite sword or armor or ring grows cooler and more powerful just like your character does. Neither is central to the AP plot. Both suit the mood.

Humanity and NPCs

One of the challenges in a campaign built around intrigue and politics is finding motivation and personality for everyone involved, as almost anyone can serve as a friend, an ally of convenience, or an enemy, depending on a given table. Everyone needs a little personality and motivation, because hey, who isn't above a bribe? I had wanted to get rid of alignment altogether, because the nine-alignment system seemed overly simplistic for the complex moralities that lie at the heart of good political dramas, but apparently the alignments are "traditional" and "integral to several spells, class features, and monsters."

I tried guys.

Instead I've opted for showcasing little bits of NPC motivations and personality. Maxillar Pythareus might be a distant asshole who thinks women should be at home bearing kids, but his face brightens up if you want to talk war history and miniature wargames. Kalbio of Breezy Creek might be kind of an annoying hick, but dammit if he isn't just SO INVESTED in everything, because Oppara is SO BIG you guys. And Eutropia, the sophisticated dilettante, the respectable princess-come-social reformer? She is exactly the kind of nerd who would name her dog a pun.

As part of humanizing the characters, the running theme for this AP's foreword illustrations is showing where they came from: A major NPC's childhood illustrated, largely without comment, in each volume. Here are the first three.

Illustrations by Miguel Regodon Harkness

War for the Crown is an Adventure Path with very human opponents and very human consequences. Failure doesn't mean the apocalypse, just a continuation of Taldor's current course and slow decline. Someone may change things in the future, but those who suffer in the current system won't stop suffering until someone changes Taldor's course.

War for the Crown kicks off in just a couple weeks with Pathfinder Adventure Path #127: Crownfall, and you can still preorder or subscribe now!

And I'm going to close out this blog with the motivational poster that's been watching over my desk since I started the earliest outlining stages of War for the Crown, guiding and encouraging me along the way. If you ever think you're not doing good enough, always remember:

Crystal Frasier
Developer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Miguel Regodon Harkness Pathfinder Adventure Path War for the Crown
1 to 50 of 78 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Hmmm, Princess Eutropia = Daria Morgendorffer? *sound of breaking stereotypes*

Liberty's Edge

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Man do I need a Player's Guide.

bats his eyelashes at Crystal


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

This sounds interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing how it all fits together. :)

That third "childhood picture" - a climbing accident or a defenestration of some sort?

Will the subjects of the childhood pictures be identified, will the placement make it obvious, or will it be a guessing game?

Paizo Employee Organized Play Lead Developer

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Exciting!

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Very cool, I do like the idea of a contained adventure, without a possible doomsday event. A nice change of pace.

As always, looking forward to the npc's!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Oh man, it sounds like you wants to plan the AP of my dreams. When I organise my campaigns I always end up preparing alternate paths players might never see but knowing roads exist that were never taken makes the world seem bigger.

I’m excited for this AP, and I never once cared for Taldor before.

Paizo Employee Developer

7 people marked this as a favorite.
de la Blage wrote:
Hmmm, Princess Eutropia = Daria Morgendorffer? *sound of breaking stereotypes*

She's a little more.... personable than Daria, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't draw some sarcastic inspiration...

Paizo Employee Developer

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Bellona wrote:
Will the subjects of the childhood pictures be identified, will the placement make it obvious, or will it be a guessing game?

The images are generally self-explanatory in the context of the book. I will spoil that the first image is a much young Stavian III with his children.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Crystal Frasier wrote:
Bellona wrote:
Will the subjects of the childhood pictures be identified, will the placement make it obvious, or will it be a guessing game?
The images are generally self-explanatory in the context of the book. I will spoil that the first image is a much young Stavian III with his children.

Those 2nd and 3rd pics ;_;


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
Crystal Frasier wrote:
Bellona wrote:
Will the subjects of the childhood pictures be identified, will the placement make it obvious, or will it be a guessing game?
The images are generally self-explanatory in the context of the book. I will spoil that the first image is a much young Stavian III with his children.
Those 2nd and 3rd pics ;_;

I will end some m@$%!&**%#~#s.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

This has got to be the best opening blog post for an AP yet. AAARRRGGHH why doesn't the Messageboards web site give me a way to fave the original blog post?

Silver Crusade

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Crystal Frasier wrote:

As the Ruins of Azlant sink below the waves, a new age dawns across the Inner Sea. Discord is coming to Taldor. More accurately: the discord that has simmered quietly just beneath the staid surface of Taldor is ready to boil over, and consume the remnants of the once-great empire. Taldor's end is in sight, and has been for a thousand years. The end may be a generation away, or a century, or an age, but always it closes. The nations passengers know they plod steadily toward to edge of the world, and yet the captains at the wheel refuse to see, refuse to change the course. Most Adventure Paths aim to save the world from a new and immediate threat to emerge on the scene, but the villain threatening to destroy Taldor is entropy and tradition. And victory means changing how a whole nation thinks. Victory means winning the War for the Crown.

War for the Crown began two years ago, as an idea I pitched as part of the meetings that eventually led to Ironfang Invasion Adventure Path. I wanted players to feel like they had some real stake in the future of the Inner Sea region, but the worry at the time was that my first AP should be something more traditional while I learned the ropes. I put my notes in a drawer and a year later I brought them back out, and this time I dug my feet in. This time I wanted to tackle one of my first loves of the Inner Sea: Taldor! And I wanted the PCs to help flesh out this maligned and oversimplified nation—seen as little more than laughable aristocracy stereotypes—into a complex nation on par with Andoran and Cheliax. I wanted Taldor to have a future and I wanted the PCs to help guide it there.

And that's what we got.

The final War for the Crown evolved a lot from those first notes. In my first draft, the PCs chose one of three inheritors to back, and the adventure text itself would abstract the adventure a little more, referring to the major NPCs as the Patron, the Ally, and the Adversary. As much as I loved this idea, the problem is that it means about 1/3 of each volume would be useless to any given group (and no I couldn't make the books any longer; I asked). It also caused problems in not being able to flesh out specific NPCs very well, since any given NPC would need to serve one of three masters. Eventually we started asking which of the three candidates would be the "canon" inheritor of the Primogen Crown, and opted to focus the entire AP around working for them.

That "canon" inheritor, who now ends up your patron, was Princess Eutropia. Not exactly shocking, given that we've teased her revolutionary leanings and political goals since the original Pathfinder Chronicles: Campaign Setting back in 2008. The lady's worked hard and wants try steering Taldor away from its 600-year status quo of slow ruin, and there are more than a few traditionalists who think she hasn't earned it, or that she has sinister motives, or just that a woman needs to know her place. Grand princess Eutropia going into the second decade of Golarion's existence doesn't just move the timeline forward, it means Taldor becomes a nation of tradition vs. progress and old vs. new, a nation of backroom political intrigue where fortunes and family fates hang in the balance. Not just a stagnant world of laughable, foppish nobles.

And if your group doesn't particularly want to back Eutropia for the throne? If they want to select their own candidate or make their own grab for power? The core plot of War for the Crown is (hopefully) designed to still be flexible enough that a GM can adapt to a different inheritor taking center stage for their campaign. The foreword for #127: Crownfall has a few notes and suggestions for adapting the campaign to your own table.

Interchangeable Pieces
One of the big goals for War for the Crown was a campaign with a lot of fun player options for tables to use or ignore depending on their own preferences. Several adventures use the various social combat and influence rules from Pathfinder: Ultimate Intrigue, but GMs should feel free takes the NPC personality notes and goals and let their tables simply play out dramatic scenes. Volume 2 introduces two special subsystems to capture two different aspects of Taldor: The Cults of Personality—so PCs can feel like movers and shakers all on their own—and the Relics system—which introduces magic items that grow stronger as their wielder accomplished great things on behalf of their people. Social, scheming tables will find the first system a delightful little distraction between game sessions, directing their psychophants and hangers-on to spy, spread word of their awesomeness, or rob the public blind. More combat-oriented tables will love the second, as your favorite sword or armor or ring grows cooler and more powerful just like your character does. Neither is central to the AP plot. Both suit the mood.

Humanity and NPCs
One of the challenges in a campaign built around intrigue and politics is finding motivation and personality for everyone involved, as almost anyone can serve as a friend, an ally of convenience, or an enemy, depending on a given table. Everyone needs a little personality and motivation, because hey, who isn't above a bribe? I had wanted to get rid of alignment altogether, because the nine-alignment system seemed overly simplistic for the complex moralities that lie at the heart of good political dramas, but apparently the alignments are "traditional" and "integral to several spells, class features, and monsters."

I tried guys.

Instead I've opted for showcasing little bits of NPC motivations and personality. Maxillar Pythareus might be a distant a@#&&*# who thinks women should be at home bearing kids, but his face brightens up if you want to talk war history and miniature wargames. Kalbio of Breezy Creek might be kind of an annoying hick, but dammit if he isn't just SO INVESTED in everything, because Oppara is SO BIG you guys. And Eutropia, the sophisticated dilettante, the respectable princess-come-social reformer? She is exactly the kind of nerd who would name her dog a pun.

As part of humanizing the characters, the running theme for this AP's foreword illustrations is showing where they came from: A major NPC's childhood illustrated, largely without comment, in each volume. Here are the first three.

[Illustration of Stavian playing with his children]

[Illustration of child being cruelly bullied]

[Illustration of two children falling to their death]

Illustrations by Miguel Regodon Harkness

War for the Crown is an Adventure Path with very human opponents and very human consequences. Failure doesn't mean the apocalypse, just a continuation of Taldor's current course and slow decline. Someone may change things in the future, but those who suffer in the current system won't stop suffering until someone changes Taldor's course.

War for the Crown kicks off in just a couple weeks with Pathfinder Adventure Path #127: Crownfall, and you can still preorder or subscribe now!

And I'm going to close out this blog with the motivational poster that's been watching over my desk since I started the earliest outlining stages of War for the Crown, guiding and encouraging me along the way. If you ever think you're not doing good enough, always remember:

[picture of Taldogi with caption “Taldogis approve”]

Crystal Frasier
Developer

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Can’t wait to play in this Crystal, I’m really excited (especially about the leveling items)!

For the Taldogis!

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Crystal Frasier wrote:
de la Blage wrote:
Hmmm, Princess Eutropia = Daria Morgendorffer? *sound of breaking stereotypes*
She's a little more.... personable than Daria, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't draw some sarcastic inspiration...

AWESOME.

Sovereign Court

Exciting stuff. This reminds me of the end of the Qing Empire. A nation under a weak Emperor about to shatter into civil war. I'd like to manipulate Princess Eutropia into my puppet empress.

Sovereign Court

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Class Deck, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

(Now just to find someone who is running this for me to play in. Or perhaps run it myself, I dunno. I'm so undecided.)

Edit: Oh! I need to write out the Higgenstrom family tree! There's no way that if I'm playing that I wouldn't be playing a Higgenstrom.

Sovereign Court

4 people marked this as a favorite.

I don't understand why people are saying we're in decline. Taldor is still the dominant force throughout the Inner Sea and people from other countries still have the same respect for us that they always have. And no meddling adventurers can mess that up!

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Daemons on the other hand...

Shadow Lodge

Sozialreform, huh? Here's hoping you folks actually mean it this time.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps, Modules, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Iammars wrote:

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

HYPE+1 HYPE+1 HYPE+1 HYPE+1


While "psychophant" sounds like an awesome prestige class, the word meaning "butt-kisser" is "sycophant".

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Psychophant is a word (for over a hundred years) that also means butt-kisser, to an often psychotic degree.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Rysky wrote:
Psychophant is a word (for over a hundred years) that also means butt-kisser, to an often psychotic degree.

< somehow refrains from making political comment >

This now has me more interested than I thought I would be. :-)

Shadow Lodge

We have art of Eutropia! Apparently she's got auburn hair and wanted her dad's throne cape from a young age.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Or at least some affection.

Damnit, ALL OF THIS ART MAKES ME SAD (except Taldogis).

Starfinder Society Developer

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:

Or at least some affection.

Damnit, ALL OF THIS ART MAKES ME SAD (except Taldogis).

Oh... oh if you think this makes you sad. Wait until you see some of the NPCs in the first adventure. Crystal did such a fantastic job of weaving together some very awesome threads and creating some VERY compelling NPC/PC relations to play with. :3

Also, some scenes in Crownfall are the reason that John Compton's not allowed to stay at my house, per mandate of my partner...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

That entire last section... Crystal, are you, like, my spirit animal or something? Because every word you just said is my aesthetic.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

This AP will be glorious!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Thurston Hillman wrote:
Rysky wrote:

Or at least some affection.

Damnit, ALL OF THIS ART MAKES ME SAD (except Taldogis).

Oh... oh if you think this makes you sad. Wait until you see some of the NPCs in the first adventure. Crystal did such a fantastic job of weaving together some very awesome threads and creating some VERY compelling NPC/PC relations to play with. :3

Also, some scenes in Crownfall are the reason that John Compton's not allowed to stay at my house, per mandate of my partner...

... I will adopt all of them.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Very much looking forward to this!


The first picture shows us Stavian playing with his children. Looks like he deeply loved them, after all. He is not a jerk, I guess. Anyway, Crystal, can I ask who were the three inheritors?

Silver Crusade

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Aenigma wrote:
The first picture shows us Stavian playing with his children. Looks like he deeply loved them, after all. He is not a jerk, I guess. Anyway, Crystal, can I ask who were the three inheritors?

You can deeply love your children AND be a total jerk at the same time, including towards said children. Humans are funny like that.

Paizo Employee Developer

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
The first picture shows us Stavian playing with his children. Looks like he deeply loved them, after all. He is not a jerk, I guess. Anyway, Crystal, can I ask who were the three inheritors?

The three inheritors from the original draft were Princess Eutropia, General Pythareus, and a noble named Lotheed who had the backing of a secret society. I'm glad to say that all three are still in the final product.

And yes, Stavian loved his kids, but love is weird. Love runs parallel to LOTS of other strong emotions.

Paizo Employee Organized Play Lead Developer

10 people marked this as a favorite.
Thurston Hillman wrote:
Rysky wrote:

Or at least some affection.

Damnit, ALL OF THIS ART MAKES ME SAD (except Taldogis).

Oh... oh if you think this makes you sad. Wait until you see some of the NPCs in the first adventure. Crystal did such a fantastic job of weaving together some very awesome threads and creating some VERY compelling NPC/PC relations to play with. :3

Also, some scenes in Crownfall are the reason that John Compton's not allowed to stay at my house, per mandate of my partner...

WE’RE MONSTERS.

Implied Spoiler:
Want more of that character’s backstory? That day was also [NPC’s] birthday, but he was too polite and awed to mention it. You didn’t call or anything, not that you would after what you wrote for [NPC].

Friendship, Thursty

Paizo Employee Developer

13 people marked this as a favorite.

You a$&#*+!s didn't tell me it was [NPC]'s birthday


1 person marked this as a favorite.

*starts sharpening many, many things*

Starfinder Society Developer

12 people marked this as a favorite.

Updated Notice from Jamie (my amazing partner in life) regarding John's ability to come visit: "... he sleeps in the shed. Only because of what can happen later."

You're moving up in the world, Compton!

Paizo Employee Designer

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Many in the Sovereign Court have been working in the shadows towards this end for some time. All hail Grand Princess Eutropia!

~Marquise Cordelia Perseis

This is looking more and more like a must-play AP for my group!

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

This AP actually made me open my subscription again! Now I hope I can find someone to run it for me or heck, may have to run it myself for a group!.......decisions, decisions!

Sovereign Court

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I got an AP subscription for the first time exclusively goaded by what I've seen of this! I've been making little boon sheets for my players they can use during the AP in vaguely related scenarios, and can't wait to start this as my first GM'd Adventure Path!

Paizo Employee Developer

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
[Illustration of two children falling to their death]

One of those kids doesn't die. Sadly, however, tragedy sometimes begets villainy.


Ron Lundeen wrote:
Rysky wrote:
[Illustration of two children falling to their death]
One of those kids doesn't die. Sadly, however, tragedy sometimes begets villainy.

I’d be a Villian too if someone tried to throw me to my death and f+~&ed up >_>


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Amazing intro, Crystal! Sounds like the Removing Alignment rules from Pathfinder Unchained might be useful in this campaign for those who wish to go that route...


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Great post Ms Frasier. I started my first time subscription to the AP line 2 days ago and now I'm more conviced than ever it will be a good use for my money!

Liberty's Edge

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Young Burger King is a Good Dad. A+++. Will play this very soon.


Crystal, will this adventure path include the birthyears of several important characters like Stavian, his inheritors, and some of the influential senators? Maybe The Twilight Child will tell us the birthyears of General Relyson Gwein, Grand Duke Broyse Rengiana, and Grand Duchess Zymalla Rengiana?

And now I think otherwise. Maybe the first picture implies that though Eutropia wanted to receive her father's undivided attention, Stavian didn't give a toss to her and clearly favored his son Carrius?

Paizo Employee Developer

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Aenigma wrote:
Crystal, will this adventure path include the birthyears of several important characters like Stavian, his inheritors, and some of the influential senators? Maybe The Twilight Child will tell us the birthyears of General Relyson Gwein, Grand Duke Broyse Rengiana, and Grand Duchess Zymalla Rengiana?

Stavian and Eutropia's birth years are mentioned in the timeline for Taldor: The First Empire. The AP has textbook-style entries for several major Grand Princes from Taldan history (including their date of birth and date of death), but other than this we don't usually print birth years for any of our major NPCs


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

It makes me sad that we won't get to see the original Patron/Ally/Adversary approach! That would have been cool.

So a third of each book isn't useful? Big deal! Adventure paths are long. It can easily take years to play through just one. There are already more of them out there than any but THE most devoted gaming group could possibly hope to burn through in a lifetime, and Paizo keeps finishing a new one every six months like clockwork. Having one slightly shorter Adventure Path would not be a big deal.

Particularly since it would have enhanced replay value for groups who are into that. Back a different contender and have a different adventure!

Crystal Frasier wrote:
I had wanted to get rid of alignment altogether ... but apparently the alignments are 'traditional' and 'integral to several spells, class features, and monsters.'

Didn't Paizo themselves publish some thoughts on how to go about removing alignment? Oh yes, they did.

The irony of publishing a story about challenging tradition that has been reformulated to conform with tradition is palpable.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I just want to run with Crystal Fraiser into the Crown. :)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Crystal Frasier wrote:
Aenigma wrote:
Crystal, will this adventure path include the birthyears of several important characters like Stavian, his inheritors, and some of the influential senators? Maybe The Twilight Child will tell us the birthyears of General Relyson Gwein, Grand Duke Broyse Rengiana, and Grand Duchess Zymalla Rengiana?
Stavian and Eutropia's birth years are mentioned in the timeline for Taldor: The First Empire.

Are they? I just stuck all of the dates from T:tFE into the timeline I'm working on for Pathfinder and I didn't see them. Last four dates in the timeline are the Eighth Army of Exploration, the Red Revolution, naval campaigns against Qadira, and the present day. I'd be happy to be proven wrong or have missed something mind you, I'm just surprised because I specifically went looking for those dates.

Either way, I'm pumped for this AP. When it was first announced, I was kinda blah about this one, but this sounds fantastic and I am really looking forward to seeing Axis later in the Path!

1 to 50 of 78 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Adventure Path / War for the Crown / Paizo Blog: When You War for the Crown, You Win or You Die All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

See Also:


©2002-2018 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.