OSW's Racial Archetypes

Homebrew and House Rules

1 to 50 of 104 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

10 people marked this as a favorite.

Hi and welcome to OSW’s racial archetypes thread. I’m interested in creating racial archetypes for some of the less common races – expect to see gnolls, lizardfolk, driders, vegepygmies, skeletons, wights, derro etc…. I may not reach 100 of these, but I’ll keep creating while the inspiration is there.

Please don’t post your own Racial Archetypes here, but if you have an idea for one you’d like to see developed, by all means let me know – I may not be inspired to do so, but if I am I’ll give it a red hot go!

As always, feedback is welcomed and appreciated! Be warned, I am a grumpy wolf at times, so keep your comments free of snark or snit. If you have a thought that I have seriously blundered somewhere (and note that this will happen – my maw is toothless – good for flavour, but lacks crunch ;) ), please point the offending article out in a non-OMG-what-are-you-thinking manner. Then I can fix it, perhaps with your humble aid….

First off – the Plagueblessed Oracle, a Gnoll Racial Archetype. This one is inspired by oldskool Runequest’s Broo, filthy and degenerate disease spreaders of the highest order, gods bless ‘em. Note that a Plagueblessed Oracle may be of any alignment, and considers plague and disease to be a blessing. I may in future create a Disease Mystery and curse specifically for this racial archetype with revelations to suit, but for now, enjoy it as it is:

The following racial archetype is available to Gnolls.

Plagueblessed Oracle (Oracle)

There are those gnolls who follow dark gods, and a few who follow the light, but of all the strange paths known to gnolls, the plagueblessed oracle is surely the most poorly understood. Finding a divine reason for decay is not difficult in any examination of either the will of the gods or a casual observation of the animal world – that the vector of plague and disease is often random in nature and capricious on the behalf of the gods is reason enough to strike out as a wilful and conscious expression of spreading decay and dissolution. Plagueblessed oracles tend to be more driven than their feckless kin, and are often found leading small outcast packs of male gnolls - most plagueblessed oracles are male.

Oracle’s Curse: A plagueblessed oracle must choose the wasting curse at 1st level.

Recommended Mysteries: Bones, Time.

Bonus Spells: diagnose disease (2nd), oracle’s burden (4th), contagion (6th), bloody claws (8th), cleanse (10th), harm (12th), inflict serious wounds, mass (14th), inflict critical wounds, mass (16th), overwhelming presence (18th). These bonus spells replace the oracle’s mystery bonus spells at these levels.

Revelations:A plagueblessed oracle must take the following revelations at the listed levels:

Disease Channel (Su): As the cleric variant channelling ability Disease (see page 29 of Ultimate Magic), except the plagueblessed oracle may choose (in addition to the effects of channelled energy) to select one creature as the target of fatigue at 5th level, and contagion at 7th level. The plagueblessed oracle must choose to make the channel energy sacred or profane – once this choice is made, it cannot not be reversed. A plagueblessed oracle must take this revelation at 3rd level.

Plague Aura (Su): As the cleric Decay subdomain ability Aura of Decay, (see page 88 of the Advanced Player’s Guide) except the ability does not affect plant creatures. You must take this revelation at 7th level.

Here are those two abilities for easier reference:

Ability Descriptions:

Disease: Heal: Creatures heal a number of points of ability damage to one ability score (your choice) equal to your channel bonus. Harm – Creatures are sickened until the end of your next turn, plus a number of rounds equal to your channel penalty. At cleric level 10, you may select one creature as the target of a contagion in addition to the effects of the channelled energy. At cleric level 20, all creatures in the aura are subject to contagion in addition to the effects of the channelled energy.

Aura of Decay: At 8th level, you can emit a 30-foot aura of decay as a standard action. Living creatures in this aura (except you) take 1d6 points of damage per round as their flesh rots. They also take a cumulative -1 penalty to Strength each round they remain in the aura. Once outside the aura, the penalty fades at the rate of -1 per round, but it begins building again if they reenter the aura. Plant creatures take 2d6 points of damage per round. You can use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to your cleric level. These rounds do not have to be consecutive.

Next up: the Demonite, a Gnoll Racial Archetype for the Cleric, inspired by an advertisement, for WOTC’s Chainmail miniatures wargame featuring a Gnoll demonpriest, circa 2001. Hopefully I can make it themtically and mechanically different from the Drow Demonic Apostle in the ARG… :}

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Ok, sorry about the delay (though doesn’t seem like anyone’s noticed yet ;p). Here’s the next racial archetype - I know I promised a gnoll Demonite...but inspiration struck elsewhere.

Thanks to Elghinn Lightbringer for help with this – I initially created it as a Cavalier/Inquisitor Multiclass Archetype (go here for more info on the Multiclass Archetypes LINK)

The following racial archetype is available to Ogres:

Dreadnaught (Cavalier)

Crashing through their enemies and bolstering the courage of their allies, the Dreadnaught is the ultimate expression of the armored ogre warrior.

The following are the class abilities of the dreadnaught.

Altered Skillset A dreadnaught’s class skills are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis) and Sense Motive (Wis).

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The dreadnaught is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, light, and medium), and with shields (except tower shields).

Order (Ex): The dreadnaught must select either the Order of the Dragon or Order of the Lion.

Ire of One (Ex): At 1st level, a dreadnaught gains the abilities of the inquisitor’s valor inquisition (PFSRD link), but uses his Charisma modifier instead of his Wisdom to determine the number of times per day his touch of resolve ability can be used. In addition, the dreadnaught gains a bonus equal to 1/2 his dreadnaught level whenever he uses Diplomacy or Intimidate to demoralize a target of his vendetta (see below). This ability replaces mount.

Vendetta (Ex): This is exactly like the cavalier’s challenge ability. Alternatively, the dreadnaught may choose to pronounce a judgment instead of making a challenge, as the inquisitor’s judgment ability. The dreadnaught can only choose the Justice, Protection, Purity, Resiliency, Resistance, or Smiting judgments. When using vendetta to pronounce a judgment, he continues to add his challenge bonus from his Order and receive his –2 penalty to his Armor Class, except against attacks made by the target of his challenge. Regardless of whether the dreadnaught makes a challenge or pronounces a judgment, he expends one use of his vendetta ability.

Footman’s Charge (Ex): At 3rd level, a dreadnaught learns to make more accurate charge attacks while on foot. The dreadnaught receives a +4 bonus on melee attack rolls on a charge while on foot (instead of the normal +2). In addition, the dreadnaught does not suffer any penalty to his AC after making a charge attack while on foot. This otherwise functions as and replaces cavalier’s charge.

Warband Commander (Ex): At 4th level, the dreadnaught gains the inquisitor’s solo tactics ability. If the dreadnaught has granted his alliesa teamwork feat with his tactician ability, his allies receive the same bonuses as him until the effect ends. A dreadnaught may only apply this effect to Medium or Small allies that have a BAB equal to or lower than the dreadnaught. (An NPC Dreadnaught may be restricted to goblins, hobgoblins, orcs and, in a pinch gnolls, as allies a the GM’s discretion). This ability replaces expert trainer.

Bonus Feat: This is exactly like the cavalier ability of the same name, except that the dreadnaught must select these bonus feats from those listed as combat feats or teamwork feats.

In addition, as a standard action, the dreadnaught can choose to learn a new bonus teamwork feat in place of the most recent bonus teamwork feat he has already learned, whether it was gained from his tactician ability, bonus feats, or through normal advancement. In effect, the dreadnaught loses the bonus feat in exchange for the new one. He can only change the most recent teamwork feat gained. Whenever he gains a new teamwork feat, the previous teamwork feat becomes set and cannot be changed again. A dreadnaught can change his most recent teamwork feat a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom modifier.

Mighty Charge (Ex): This is exactly like the cavalier’s ability of the same name, except that it applies to charges made by the dreadnaught while on foot.

Demanding Vendetta (Ex): This is exactly like demanding challenge, except that it applies to both the dreadnaught’s challenge or judgment when using his vendetta ability.

Supreme Charge (Ex): This is exactly like the cavalier’s ability of the same name, except that it applies to charges made by the dreadnaught while on foot.

Hello OSW, I must say I really like your work and am truly happy to see archetypes/content for monster characters. In my group we have an ogre character so i need to show him the dreadnaught now, I was wondering if you can make an archetype for the Lizardfolk, i've always wanted to make a natural weapon warrior lizardfolk but I haven't found much material for NWWs...Think you can help me out?

*PS: don't let the lack of attention bring you down, we need more people like you

These are pretty interesting, and as Teiidae put it, it's always cool to get more moolah for the monsters and I'll be dotting this for the future.

Thanks for the support Teiidae and Matt! Monsters, you say - well there is a Drider cavalier on its way (pumps gonzo fist!)... And a couple less gonzo racial archetypes nearing completion...

@Teiidae - You're lucky in that lizardfolk are one of my all-time favourites! Hmm, are you thinking a fighter, barbarian or monk archetype? I'd be wary of a monk but I *could* attempt it.
BTW I think blackbloodtroll posted a thread about a lizardfolk unarmed fighter build - it might take some time to find the thread if you want some ideas until I work something up...

@OceanShieldwolf- I know what you mean, my very first character was a lizardfolk barbarian named Teiidae. So with all that I would need to say a barbarian Archetype.

And Dreadnaught are the perfect things to make that Ogre boss more menacing too! Can't wait for the rest of these!

Hey, OSW! When you do your Barbarian Lizardfolk archetype, take a look at the Brutal Pugilist archetype and the Wild Fighting ability from the Wild Rager archetype for ideas.

I would also include something that allows the lizardfolk to make a tail slap attack (like a dragon, but obviously less powerful, say 1d3 damage or so) or to make trip attacks with his tail. Maybe a "Natural spear" attack that uses his tail, becomes rigid, and can use it as a piercing weapon? This would provide some options that are more than just their typical bite and claw natural attacks. Could be a racial rage power too?

Could call the archetype a Swamp Fighter or Wild Claw or something. Name can be figured out later. Just some ideas.

Elghinn Lightbringer wrote:

Hey, OSW! When you do your Barbarian Lizardfolk archetype, take a look at the Brutal Pugilist archetype and the Wild Fighting ability from the Wild Rager archetype for ideas.

I would also include something that allows the lizardfolk to make a tail slap attack (like a dragon, but obviously less powerful, say 1d3 damage or so) or to make trip attacks with his tail. Maybe a "Natural spear" attack that uses his tail, becomes rigid, and can use it as a piercing weapon? This would provide some options that are more than just their typical bite and claw natural attacks. Could be a racial rage power too?

Could call the archetype a Swamp Fighter or Wild Claw or something. Name can be figured out later. Just some ideas.

Matt here, just a question. Wouldn't bite and claw already cover piercing and slashing? The tail is bludgeoning so they've got all 3 weapon types covered. I DO like the idea of making them go more dragonlike with the tail attacks.

Maybe we could look to the Feral Gnasher(goblin Archetype) for ideas, like getting the grab ability with a bite. maybe we can add a twist to the lizardfolk, instead of the classic swamp lizard...we could give it poison like gila monsters. Just throwing ideas out

Teiidae wrote:
Maybe we could look to the Feral Gnasher(goblin Archetype) for ideas, like getting the grab ability with a bite. maybe we can add a twist to the lizardfolk, instead of the classic swamp lizard...we could give it poison like gila monsters. Just throwing ideas out

Poison? I like the sound of this, but is it very Barbarian-ish?

Worldheart Design wrote:
Teiidae wrote:

Well, maybe not barbarian like, but it could work for a racial archetype.

Teiidae wrote:
Worldheart Design wrote:
Teiidae wrote:
Well, maybe not barbarian like, but it could work for a racial archetype.

Then I say yes to poisonous lizardfolk!

Now the question is what type of poison? personally i would say Strenght, dex or con poison. another idea i have is maybe they could get natural armor,maybe when wearing light armor or none. I have a hard time picturing a raging barbarian charging on the battle field in fullplate.

Natural armor is a good idea for barbarians (and monks come to think of it).

As for poisons, yes, they should stick to poisons that weaken their foes in physical battle. It seems the right thing to do flavorwise.

As to what exact poison they use, try and figure out what poisons would generally be available at the level the poison would be obtained.

Nice ideas folks - thanks Elghinn, Matt/Worldheart and Teiidae!

Ok, so some great thematic ideas to look at:

*Brutal Pugilist and Wild Rager. Wild fighting is cool!
*Tail slap - I was thinking of a tail slap for a giant lizard for a giant-lizard mounted Lizardfolk cavalier, so yes to this! Lizardfolk tailslap!
*Feral Gnasher's grab/bite - I'm loving this - I want to see throats being grabbed by toothy maws! Is that from the ARG?
*Gila monster poison. Hmm, I like it - especially poisons that slow, weaken or give hallucinations!!!
*Natural Armor!!! Ding ding ding!!! Wouldn't be right without this!!!

I'm thinking "Scale-claw Marauder" so far...

My gestatory ideas are to also look at the True Primitive (Bbn archetype) bone armor and weapons proficiencies and the Unarmed fighter (FIghter archetype) generally. I'll get to the Scale-claw Marauder soon (and perhaps a Lizardman Cavalier) I promise!!!

I hope to have three new racial archetypes up in the next day or so.....

Sounds great!

I cant wait to see the vegapygmies archtypes, a couple of ideas are a russet mold shaman or a spore carrier. They still give me nostalgia from back in the day of exploring Barrier Peaks.A derro sorcerer archtype sounds good, something to tie into the Vaults of Orv and their connection to their gone alien masters.

Damn you Freedom16!!! Great ideas!!!

A vegepygmy alchemist Spore Disseminator!!! And a russet mold Shaman... I may have to get Open Design's Shaman base class for that one... I'd love to do a vegepygmy ranger archetype with hunter's bond utilizing the 1e "thornies" but they didn't seem to make the jump to PF...

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Ok, here are three more Racial archetypes - first an Elven Samurai, and then the same base cavalier idea applied to both Drow and Drider....

Gallowjade (Elven Samurai Racial Archetype):

Gallowjade (Elven Samurai Racial archetype)

Dedicated to perfection with a signature weapon, the traditional gallowjades were originally heavily armored skirmishers, elite mercenaries loyal to their own rigid and codified concepts of honor rather than coin. More recently, less honorable gallowjades have diluted the discipline opting for lighter armor, greater maneuverability and a less strict code of conduct.

The following are the class abilities of the gallowjade:

Altered Skillset: The gallowjade’s class skills are: Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), and Sense Motive (Wis).

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The gallowjade is proficient with all simple weapons, plus the glaive, longbow (including composite longbows), longsword, naginata, rapier, and shortbow (including composite shortbow), and treats any weapon with the word “elven” in its name as a martial weapon. She is also proficient with all types of armor (heavy, light, and medium), and bucklers.

Gallowjade style (Ex): A gallowjade trains relentlessly in movement and footwork in all types of armor. Beginning at 1st level, when calculating an armor’s maximum dexterity bonus and armor check penalty (but not arcane spell failure) a galllowjade treats any heavy armor as a breastplate, any medium armor as a chain shirt and any light armor as padded armor (unless wearing an armored kilt).

Additionally the gallowjade gains either deflect arrows OR buckler mastery* as a bonus feat. Whether chosen at 1st level or as a bonus feat the gallowjade must be wielding an elven curved blade, glaive or naginata to take advantage of these feats.

At 10th level the gallowjade is treated as having DR1/cold iron in light armor, DR 2/cold iron in medium armor and DR3/iron in heavy armor. This ability replaces mount.

Perfect union (Ex): - This ability is exactly like the samurai’s weapon expertise except that the gallowjade must select the elven curved blade, glaive or naginata.

Gallowglaive (Ex): At 4th level the gallowjade gains the improved critical feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. This feat must be applied to the elven curved blade, glaive or naginata.This ability replaces mounted archery.

Gallowjade's Reach (Ex): At 5th level, whenever the gallowjade is wielding a glaive or naginata against an opponent, any foe who enters or leaves a square adjacent to that opponent provokes an attack of opportunity from the gallowjade. At 10th level, the gallowjade can attack any foe that is adjacent to her with her glaive or naginata, even though she normally can't make attacks against such foes with a reach weapon. This ability replaces banner.

Heroic Flourish (Ex): - The gallowjade gains the hero's display feat at 14th level. This ability replaces greater banner.

The following orders complement the gallowjade: Warrior, Cockatrice, Dragon, Lion, Shield and Star. Ronin gallowjades prefer light armor. Alternatively the gallowjade may choose the Sept of the Nephrite Star.

Sept of the Nephrite Star
Dedicated heavy armour skirmishers, the sept of the nephrite star teaches gallowjade adherents to transcend the strictures of mortal needs and desires, and to achieve perfect union with one’s blade and fellow sept members.

Edicts: The gallowjade must remain loyal to her sept and must always seek to promote their aims and ideals. He must protect her sept from harm and preserve their honour at all costs.

Challenge: Whenever a sept of the nephrite star gallowjade issues a challenge, she gains a +1 circumstance bonus on melee attacks against the target if the target is wearing light, medium or no armour or wields a bludgeoning, piercing or natural weapon. This bonus increase by +1 for every four levels the gallowjade possesses.

Skills: A sept of the nephrite star gallowjade adds Acrobatics (Dex) and Perform (Cha) to her list of class skills. Additionally the gallowjade receives a +1 morale bonus to Performance Combat checks for every 5 levels she possesses.

Order Abilities:
Elven Grace (Ex): At 2nd level the gallowjade gains the light step feat.

Bladed Bulwark (Ex): At 8th level level the gallowjade can enter a defensive stance, and takes no attacks for that round - she gains a +2 circumstance bonus to AC, and can make a single attack of opportunity against any opponent within her weapon’s reach.

Fey Strike (Ex): At 15th level, 1/day the gallowjade can move her full speed and still make a full-attack action for 1 round. This increases to 2/day at 19th level.

*Buckler Mastery:
Prerequisite: Shield Proficiency
Benefit: You can perform a shield bash with a buckler. When wielding a weapon in the same hand as your buckler, you may elect to either ignore the −1 attack penalty or gain a +1 shield bonus to AC.
Special: A buckler counts as a light weapon and has the same weapon profile as a light shield.
(from Advanced Feats, Open Design LINK.)

Arachnard (Drow Cavalier Racial Archetype):

Arachnard (Drow Cavalier Racial Archetype)

In the dark under-lands dwell the fractious drow, long subservient to their arachnid mythologies and religions. The arachnard takes great pride in bringing myth into reality, riding down his enemies astride his great spider mount.

The following are class abilities of the arachnard:

Spider Mount (Ex): This functions exactly as the cavalier’s mount ability except the mount must be a Giant Spider. At 1st level the giant spider is medium sized and has 2HD – it otherwise progresses as normal. At 4th level, instead of gaining an ability score increase, the giant spider becomes Large.

Order (Ex): An arachnard may not choose the Dragon or Lion Orders. He may opt to choose the Order of the Spider (see below).

Tactical Bond (Ex): Any teamwork feats possessed by the arachnard operate as if his spider mount also had that feat.
Tactical bond functions continually. This ability replaces tactician.

Mounted Defense (Ex): At 4th level, whenever an arachnard is astride his spider mount, the arachnard receives a +1 shield bonus to his Armor Class and a +1 circumstance bonus on his saving throws. This bonus does not apply if the spider mount is grappled, helpless, paralyzed, stunned or unconscious. This ability replaces expert trainer.

Rider's Vigil (Ex): At 5th level, the bond between mount and rider emboldens the arachnard’s spider mount. While the spider is in physical contact with its master it receives a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear and a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls made as part of a charge. At 10th level, and every five levels thereafter, these bonuses increase by +1. This ability replaces banner.

Bonus Feat: The arachnard may choose any teamwork feats OR combat feats he qualifies for.

Greater Tactical Bond (Ex): The arachnard gains a bonus teamwork feat. This ability replaces greater tactician.

Greater Rider’s Vigil (Ex): At 14th level, the spider mount receives a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and compulsion spells and effects. In addition, the arachnard can, with a standard action, grant to his mount an additional saving throw against any one spell or effect that it is targeted by. This save is made at the original DC. Spells and effects that do not allow saving throws are unaffected by this ability. This grant may be made 1/day for every 5 levels possessed by the arachnard. Additionally, the spider mount benefits from rider’s vigil and greater rider’s vigil up to 30’ feet distant from the arachnard. This ability replaces greater banner.

Sacrifice (Su: At 17th level, an arachnard’s life becomes linked to his spider mount’s. As long as the spider mount has 1 or more hit points, the arachnard is protected from harm. Damage in excess of that which would reduce the arachnard to fewer than 0 hit points is instead transferred to the spider mount. This damage is transferred 1 point at a time, meaning that as soon as the spider mount is reduced to a number of negative hit points equal to its Constitution score, all excess damage remains with the arachnard. This ability replaces master tactician.

Order of the Spider
Drow cavaliers belonging to the order of the spider form cadres dedicated to the furthering of drow aims and the fostering of arachnid worship and culture.

Edicts: The cavalier must crush the enemies of the drow, protect all arachnids from harm and support his fellow arachnards in their duties – whether in combat or drow politicking.

Challenge: Whenever an order of the spider cavalier issues a challenge, he receives a +1 circumstance bonus on melee attack rolls against the target of his challenge if that target is adjacent to or attacks his spider mount. This bonus increase by +1 for every four levels the cavalier possesses.

Skills: An order of the spider cavalier adds Knowledge (dungeoneering), Perception and Survival to his list of class skills. Additionally the arachnard gains a +1 morale bonus to Handle Animal checks made when dealing with arachnids of any kind. This bonus increases by 1 for every 5 levels the arachnard possesses.

Order Abilities: An arachnard belonging to the Order of the Spider gains the following abilities as he increases in level:

Wall Crawler (Sp): At 2nd level the arachnard gains the use of spider climb for a number of rounds equal to his level + Charisma modifier - these rounds do not need to be consecutive.

Spider Fang (Ex): At 8th level, as a standard action, the arachnard can make a single attack with a slashing or melee piercing weapon at his highest attack bonus. If he hits, he deals damage as normal, but the target is fatigued. If he confirms a critical hit with this attack, the target is exhausted instead. At 16th level, the target becomes exhausted instead of fatigued on a successful attack.

Web (Sp): At 15th level an arachnard can cast web 1/day, caster level is equal to his arachnard level.

Arachnid Charger (Drider Cavalier Racial Archetype):

Arachnid charger (Drider Cavalier Racial Archetype)
For aeons the drider have suffered at the hands of their creators and overlords - the despised drow. Training their spiders in secret the arachnid chargers rush from the shadows, targeting drow or elves with special bravado and urgency.

The following are class abilities of the arachnid charger:

Arachnid Companion (Ex): At 1st level the Arachnid charger gains a Giant Spider as a companion. This ability functions as the cavalier’s mount ability except for the following:

At 1st level the arachnid companion is medium sized and has 2HD – it otherwise progresses as normal. At 4th level the giant spider becomes large – this replaces the attribute bonus normally gained at this level. Any teamwork feats (see bonus feats below) the arachnid charger possesses apply both to him and his arachnid companion. This ability replaces mount.

Order (Ex): An arachnid charger may not choose the Dragon or Lion Orders. He may opt to choose the Order of the Drider (see below).

Tactical Bond (Ex): Any teamwork feats possessed by the arachnid charger operate as if his arachnid companion also had that feat.
Tactical bond functions continually. This ability replaces tactician.

Double Fang (Ex): At 4th level, any time the arachnid charger or his arachnid companion’s target is denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not) or when either the arachnid charger or his arachnid companion flank a target they deal 1d6 extra precision damage. This ability replaces expert trainer.

Drider’s Charge (Ex): This is exactly like the cavalier's charge ability, except that it applies to the drider instead. The benefits of Mighty Charge and Supreme Charge also apply to the drider.

Arachnid Vigil (Ex): At 5th level, the arachnid charger’s bond emboldens his arachnid companion. While the companion is within 15 feet of its master it receives a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear and a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls made as part of a charge. At 10th level, and every five levels thereafter, these bonuses increase by +1. This ability replaces banner.

Bonus Feat The Arachnid charger may choose any teamwork feats OR combat feats he qualifies for.

Devoted training (Ex): At 9th level the Arachnid charger receives a bonus feat he qualifies for. This ability replaces greater tactician.

Greater Arachnid Vigil (Ex): At 14th level, the arachnid companion receives a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and compulsion spells and effects. In addition, the arachnid charger can, as a standard action, grant to his arachnid companion an additional saving throw roll against any one spell or effect that it is targeted by. This save is made at the original DC. Spells and effects that do not allow saving throws are unaffected by this ability. The arachnid charger may grant this reroll to his spider companion 1/day for every 5 levels he possesses. Additionally, the arachnid companion gains the benefits of arachnid vigil and greater arachnid vigil up to 30’ feet distant from the arachnid charger. This ability replaces greater banner.

Sacrifice (Ex): At 17th level, an arachnid charger’s life becomes linked to his arachnid companion’s. As long as the arachnid companion has 1 or more hit points, the arachnid charger is protected from harm. Damage in excess of that which would reduce the arachnid charger to fewer than 0 hit points is instead transferred to the arachnid companion. This damage is transferred 1 point at a time, meaning that as soon as the arachnid companion is reduced to a number of negative hit points equal to its Constitution score, all excess damage remains with the arachnid companion. This ability replaces master tactician.

Order of the Drider (Restricted*)
Driders belonging to this order suffer no elf to live and hold the drow especially as icons of deep antipathy. Arachnid chargers champion the primacy of driders as cavalry and will brook no opposing ideal.

Edicts: The cavalier must advance the interests of driders above all else – even to the detriment of his arachnid companion or himself. He must otherwise never allow an arachnid to come to harm. He must never trust elves or drow, and if possible should remove them from the land of the living.

Challenge: Whenever an order of the drider cavalier issues a challenge, he receives a +1 circumstance bonus on melee attack rolls against the target of his challenge. If the target of the challenge is an elf, the cavalier deals a bonus to damage equal to his Charisma damage; if the target is drow, the Charisma modifier damage is doubled. This bonus increases by +1 for every four levels the cavalier possesses.

Skills: An order of the drider cavalier adds Knowledge (dungeoneering), Perception and Survival to his list of class skills. Additionally the arachnid charger gains a +1 morale bonus to Handle Animal checks made when dealing with arachnids of any kind. This bonus increases by 1 for every 5 levels the cavalier possesses.

Order Abilites: A drider that belongs to the order of the drider gains the following abilities:

Poisoned Blade (Ex): – At 2nd level the cavalier can apply a dose of drider poison as a move action by licking the blade of a slashing or piercing weapon a number of times per day = 3 + Con modifier.

Pinning Charge (Ex): At 8th level, when making a charge, if the cavalier hits the target is subject to a bull rush with a +2 bonus to the drider’s CMB, if the bull rush is successful the target is knocked prone and pinned beneath the drider.

Powerful Venom (Ex): At 15th level the potency of the drider's poison increases to the following – (Bite - injury; save Fort DC 22; frequency 1/round for 8 rounds; effect 1d4 Str; cure 1 save). The save DC is Constitution-based.

*(Note: only Driders may belong to this order.)

Oceanshieldwolf wrote:

Damn you Freedom16!!! Great ideas!!!

A vegepygmy alchemist Spore Disseminator!!! And a russet mold Shaman... I may have to get Open Design's Shaman base class for that one... I'd love to do a vegepygmy ranger archetype with hunter's bond utilizing the 1e "thornies" but they didn't seem to make the jump to PF...

What can I say? I'm nostalgic! But those do sound awesome, maybe make the russet mold shaman a archetype for druid, allow Thornies or plant/fungus companions and replaces wild shape with russet mold abilities like converting corpses to vegypygmies or making patches.

Good idea on the druid racial archetype. And I'm having some fun thougts on licheny, mossy, fungally mutations for an alchemist, Spore Disseminator or not....

The 3 new archetypes are very well done, the elven samurai especially has a lot of good flavor.

Vegepygmy is indeed something I am also looking forward too.

I can't wait to see what other great archetypes come from this thread. Also do you think we can make a lizardfolk ranger Archetype? most of my party wants to play as lizards, so far we have Lizardfolk fighter, barbarian,sorcerer, oracle,cavalier and ranger plus a big Friendly ogre.

P.S: I love love the drider cavalier! my party is going to be in one hell of a spot when we go into the Underdark(or whatever name you give it)

Yep a Lizardfolk ranger with giant lizard animal companion is entirely in my sights...

Oceanshieldwolf wrote:
Yep a Lizardfolk ranger with giant lizard animal companion is entirely in my sights...

That or a giant Dinosaur...in anycase I approve :).

Heh, there's me being flippant. Sure, I think you'll find I'm fond of the ol' lizardfolk and triceratops team-up... ;)

Next up a Kobold Fighter. This one's a bit of a special archetype in that it's Elghinn Lightbringer's idea - I helped tweak it a very very minuscule amount. It's a bit more mystical than I would normally use in my campaign, or for a fighter - but as Elghinn says it draws upon the power of a very mystical creature.

N.B. This is not an invitation to others to wholesale post new archetypes - if you have an idea, or even a fully fleshed Racial Archetype - PM or email me and we can do some review so I can consider adding it here. Just to keep things organized and on focus!!! :)

Without further ado:

Wyrmbrood Champion (Kobold Fighter Racial Archetype):

(Original Concept by Elghinn Lightbringer)
The wyrmbrood champion is an archetype of the fighter class, available to kobold fighters.

Often disregarded by their foes, they quickly change their outlook when wyrmbrood champions suddenly grow in size before their very eyes. Unlike others of their kind, the typically distant dragon blood of the kobold race courses strong and undiluted through a wyrmbrood champion’s veins. A wyrmbrood champion relies upon his innate draconic strengths to overpower and defeat his opponents in a swift and brutal manner.

Class Features
The wyrmbrood champion has the following class features.

Draconic Might (Su): Starting at 3rd level, a wyrmbrood champion can tap into the deep reservoirs of his draconic heritage’s innate magic to enhance his physique and prowess in battle. Once per day as a standard action, a wyrmbrood champion can immediately double his height and increase his weigh by a factor of eight for a number of rounds equal to his 1/2 his wyrmbrood champion level + his Charisma modifier. This increase changes the wyrmbrood champion’s size category to Medium. He gains a +4 size bonus to Strength, +2 size bonus to Constitution, and takes a -2 penalty to his Dexterity. He also gains a +2 enhancement bonus to his natural armor. Determine space and reach, and apply all other size adjustments to attack rolls, CMB/CMD, and Fly and Stealth skill checks as appropriate to the wyrmbrood champion’s new size.

All equipment the wyrmbrood champion is wearing or carrying is similarly enlarged. Melee weapons deal more damage (see Table: Tiny and Large Weapon Damage). Any enlarged item that leaves the wyrmbrood champion’s possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size. This means that thrown and projectile weapons deal their normal damage. Other magical effects that increase size do not stack with this ability.

At 7th level, and every four levels thereafter, the wyrmbrood champion can use this ability and additional time per day, up to a maximum of five times per day at 19th level.

At 11th level, a wyrmbrood champion can choose to increase his size to Large instead of Medium. Choosing to do so, he gains a +8 size bonus to Strength, a +4 size bonus to Constitution, and takes a -4 penalty to his Dexterity. He also gains a +4 enhancement bonus to his natural armor, and his speed increases to 40 feet. Determine space and reach as appropriate, and apply all other size adjustments to attack rolls, CMB/CMD, and Fly and Stealth skill checks as appropriate. If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, the wyrmbrood champion attains the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using his increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process (see Smashing an Object). If this check fails, the wyrmbrood champion is constrained without harm by the materials enclosing him, without crushing him due to his increased size.

Additionally, at 11th level, if the wyrmbrood champion has the Dragon-Scales racial trait or takes the Draconic Aspect racial feat without having the Dragon-Scaled racial trait, the wyrmbrood champion’s associated energy resistance increases to 10. If he has the Gliding Wings racial trait or takes the Draconic Glide racial feat without having the Gliding Wings racial trait, for every 20 feet he falls he can move laterally 10 feet instead of 5 feet. If he takes the Draconic Breath racial feat, his damage increases to 3d6.

At 15th level, if the wyrmbrood champion takes the Draconic Paragon feat, he can use his breath weapon three times per day and his breath weapon damage increases to 5d6 points of energy damage. His wings from the Draconic Glide feat grow even stronger, granting him a fly speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability). This ability replaces bravery, armor training and armor mastery.

Champion’s Training (Ex): At 5th level, a wyrmbrood champion must select the following group of weapons specific to race and capacity as a guardian of his wyrmbrood and does not gain weapon training with other groups though his weapon training bonus improves by +1 every four levels after 5th.
This group includes the following weapons (GMs may add other weapons to these groups, or add entirely new groups): battleaxe, flail, gauntlet, kukri, punching dagger, scimitar, short sword, shortspear, spear, and spiked gauntlet.

Elghinn also has a Minotaur Cavalier he's working on - he may post it here as it's very involved and requires much more formatting than I have the patience for!!! :)

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Alright, here's the Minotaur Cavalier archetype.

HORNED SKYGUARD (Minotaur Cavalier Racial Archetype):

(Orignal Concept by Elghinn Lightbringer)

The horned skyguard is an archetype of the cavalier class, available to minotaur and half-minotaur cavaliers. The horned skyguard is a member of the highly respected and devastatingly skilled tactical airborne cavalry native to certain clans of minotaurs located high in remote mountains of the world. There are relatively few of these noble hearted and forthright knights of the sky, but those who pass their training are numbered among the best of the best, both in combat and tactical flying.

Due to the minotaur’s size and mass, he must have a sturdy airborne mount. Thus, many decades ago, mountain clans established a breeding program that enabled them to raise and train wyvern drakes from birth. A wyvern drake is the offspring of dragon and wyvern parentage and bonded to their master through a mystic bond brought on through elaborate training and close companionship. This ensures that an unbreakable loyalty between the horned skyguard and wyvern drake is established, which forges them into an effective and powerful force to war against their enemies.

Class Features
The horned skyguard has the following class features.

Bonded Wyvern Drake Mount (Ex): A horned skyguard creates a mystic bond with a youthful wyvern drake, the hybrid offspring of a wyvern and a true dragon, that guarantees the wyvern drake’s loyalty to its rider (as long as it is treated with respect). A character that starts as a horned skyguard at 1st level is assumed to have already bonded with a wyvern drake of his choice. A character multiclassing into dragonrider is approached by a wyvern drake as a prospective bonded mount within 30 days. The bond causes the wyvern drake to grow slightly in size, and drives it to gain power as its rider gains experience, rather than as it gains age categories. Many of a wyvern drake’s normal powers (spell-like abilities, spellcasting, unlimited breath weapon use) are either suspended or modified as the arcane power that drives them is used to fuel the bond between the horned skyguard and wyvern drake mount. This bond, once forged, ends only if both rider and mount decide to end it, or if one is killed and not resurrected in a timely fashion.

Wyvern drakes are specially bred by mountain dwelling minotaurs to serve as mounts for their aerial cavalry, and is part of ancient pacts dating back centuries. A wyvern drake bonded to its rider grows in size and power as the horned skyguard gains experience. The payoff comes when the horned skyguard dies which almost always occurs long before the wyvern drake mount’s death–though both often die in battle alongside each other. If its rider is lost, the surviving wyvern drake cannot be bonded to another, and is therefore used as breeding stock, released into the wild, or killed outright if it becomes uncontrollable.

A bonded wyvern drake can carry its rider as soon as it is the same size category as the horned skyguard, assuming its Strength is great enough to bear the rider and his gear. Wyvern drake’s carrying capacity is modified for their size as normal creatures, and as bonded mounts they can fly (at full speed) even if heavily encumbered. A wyvern drake can carry two creatures one size smaller than it, four creatures two sizes smaller, and sixteen creatures three or more sizes smaller (all assuming it has the Strength to do so).

A horned skyguard’s bonded mount otherwise functions as a druid’s animal companion, using the horned skyguard’s level as his effective druid level. A horned skyguard does not take an armor check penalty on Ride checks while riding his mount. The mount is always considered combat trained and begins play with Light Armor Proficiency as a bonus feat. A horned skyguard’s mount does not gain the share spells special ability.

A horned skyguard’s bond with his wyvern drake mount is strong, with the pair learning to anticipate each other’s moods and moves. Should a horned skyguard’s mount die, the horned skyguard may find another mount to serve him after 1 week of mourning. This new wyvern drake mount does not gain the link, evasion, devotion, or improved evasion special abilities until the next time the horned skyguard gains a level. This ability otherwise functions as and replaces mount.

Tactician: This is exactly like the cavalier’s ability of the same name, except that the horned skyguard can grant a teamwork feat gained by his tactician, greater tactician and master tactician abilities to his wyvern drake mount.

Cavalier’s Charge (Ex): This is exactly like the cavalier’s ability of the same name, except that any benefits gained by the cavalier’s charge, mighty charge, and supreme charge abilities apply only while the horned skyguard is riding his wyvern drake mount.

Expert Trainer (Ex): This is exactly like the cavalier’s ability of the same name, except that it only applies when the horned skyguard is using Handle Animal to train a wyvern drake or another creature of the dragon type.

Horned Skyguard’s Bonded Wyvern Drake Mount:

A horned skyguard’s mount is always superior to a normal creature of its kind and has special powers, as described below. The standard mount for a horned skyguard is a wyvern drake, a hybrid of wyvern and dragon bloodlines bred for this very purpose. A wyvern drake is a type of dragon, and is treated as such for the purpose of all effects that depend on its type. A wyvern drake functions like a druid’s animal companion, except for the following changes.

Table: Wyvern Drake Mount Base Statistics
Natural
Class Armor Str/Con Int/Cha Breath
Level HD BAB Fort Ref Will Skills Feats Bonus Bonus Bonus Weapon Special

1st 2 +2 +3 +3 +3 8 1 +0 +0 +0 1d6 Breath weapon, link
2nd 3 +3 +3 +3 +3 12 2 +1 +0 +0 2d6 —
3rd 3 +3 +3 +3 +3 12 2 +1 +1 +1 2d6 Evasion
4th 4 +4 +4 +4 +4 16 2 +2 +1 +1 2d6 Ability score increase
5th 5 +5 +4 +4 +4 20 3 +3 +1 +1 2d6 —
6th 6 +6 +5 +5 +5 20 3 +4 +2 +1 3d6 Devotion
7th 6 +6 +5 +5 +5 24 3 +4 +2 +1 3d6 —
8th 7 +7 +5 +5 +5 28 4 +5 +2 +2 3d6 Large
9th 8 +8 +6 +6 +6 32 4 +6 +2 +2 3d6 Ability score increase
10th 9 +9 +6 +6 +6 36 5 +7 +3 +2 4d6 —
11th 9 +9 +6 +6 +6 36 5 +7 +3 +2 4d6 Multiattack
12th 10 +10 +7 +7 +7 40 5 +8 +3 +2 4d6 —
13th 11 +11 +7 +7 +7 44 6 +9 +3 +3 4d6 —
14th 12 +12 +8 +8 +8 48 6 +10 +4 +3 5d6 Ability score increase
15th 12 +12 +8 +8 +8 48 6 +10 +4 +3 5d6 Improved evasion
16th 13 +13 +8 +8 +8 52 7 +11 +4 +3 5d6 —
17th 14 +14 +9 +9 +9 56 7 +12 +4 +3 5d6 —
18th 15 +15 +9 +9 +9 60 8 +13 +5 +4 6d6 —
19th 15 +15 +9 +9 +9 60 8 +13 +5 +4 6d6 —
20th 16 +16 +10 +10 +10 64 8 +14 +5 +4 6d6 Ability score increase

HD: This is the total number of twelve-sided (d12) Hit Dice the wyvern drake mount possesses, each of which gains a Constitution modifier, as normal.

Skills: Wyvern drakes mounts can have ranks in any of the following skills: Acrobatics* (Dex), Climb* (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Fly* (Dex), Intimidate (Cha),Perception* (Wis), Stealth* (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim* (Str). All of the skills marked with an (*) are class skills for wyvern drake mounts. Wyvern drake mounts with an Intelligence of 3 or higher can put ranks into any skill.

Feats: This is the total number of feats possessed by a wyvern drake mount. Wyvern drake mounts are free to take any feats other than Weapon Proficiency feats. (A wyvern drake is trained to wear armor, but its hands are not designed to hold weapons.) Note that wyvern drake mounts must meet all the normal requirements for the feats they select.

Wyvern drake mounts can select from the following feats: Acrobatic, Agile Maneuvers, Armor Proficiency (light, medium, and heavy), Athletic,Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Diehard, Dodge, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Armor, Improved Natural Attack, Improved Overrun, Intimidating Prowess, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Power Attack, Run, Skill Focus, Spring Attack, Stealthy, Toughness, and Weapon Focus. Wyvern drake mounts with an Intelligence of 3 or higher can select any feat they are physically capable of using. GMs might expand this list to include feats from other sources.

Str/Con Bonus: Add this modifier to the wyvern drake’s Strength and Constitution scores. Wyvern drake mounts also gain increases to Strength and Constitution (and reductions to Dexterity) as they increase in size (see Large).

Int/Cha Bonus: Add this modifier to the wyvern drake’s Intelligence and Charisma scores.

WYVERN DRAKE MOUNT SPECIAL ABILITY DESCRIPTIONS
The wyvern drake mount gains the following special abilities as it advances.

Breath Weapon (Su): The base breath weapon’s energy type, shape, and range are listed in the Wyvern Drake Mount description (see below). Every mount deals one kind of damage according to its dragon parentage, and has either a line or a cone. Each breath weapon allows a Reflex save for half damage, the save DC for a wyvern drake mount’s breath weapon is 10 + one-half mount’s Hit Dice + mouhnts’s Constitution modifier. A wyvern drake mount may use its breath weapon once every four rounds, not to exceed a total number of uses per day equal to 3 + the mount’s Constitution modifier.

As the wyvern drake mount gains HD, its breath weapon deals more dice of damage, as noted on Table: Wyvern Drake Mount Base Statistics, and additional range, as noted in the Wyvern Drake Mount level advancement description below.

Link (Ex): A horned skyguard and his bonded wyvern drake mount share a mental link that allows for communication across any distance (as long as they are on the same plane). This communication is a free action, allowing the horned skyguard to give orders to his wyvern drake mount at any time. They also always know the direction to each other, and are aware of any conditions the other is suffering. Also, due to the powerful bond with its rider, a wyvern drake mount always goes on the same initiative as its horned skyguard when within 30 feet of each other—rider and mount effectively move simultaneously. (If for some reason it’s crucial to know which acts first, the horned skyguard’s player decides on the order of each action taken.) If a horned skyguard is unconscious or incapacitated, his wyvern drake mount moves to be adjacent to its rider as quickly as possible, then attacks any foe that threatens either wyvern drake mount or horned skyguard. A wyvern drake mount acts to defend itself if separated from its rider, and can be convinced to stay behind to guard a camp or the horned skyguard’s stronghold, but does not willingly go on missions or run errands separate from its rider. (A GM should run a wyvern drake mount as efficiently as possible if its rider is not present for an event, but wyvern drake mounts seek to avoid operating without their partners.)

Large: The wyvern drake mount’s size category changes from Medium to Large. All adjustments for this size change is described in the Wyvern Drake Mmount’s 8th Level Advancement description below.

Wyvern Drake Mount
A wyvern drake mount’s abilities are determined by the horned skyguard’s level and its dragon racial traits. Table: Wyvern Drake Mount Base Statistics determines many of the base statistics of the wyvern drake mount. A wyvern drake possesses the following starting statistics that modify these base statistics and takes on the hue of its dragon parent. Wyvern drakes are dragons for the purpose of determining which spells affect them.

Wyvern Drake Starting Statistics
Size
Medium; Speed 20 ft., fly 40 ft. (poor); AC +2 natural armor; Attack bite (1d6), 2 claws (1d4), 2 stings (1d3 + poison); Ability Scores Str 13, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 10; Special Attacks breath weapon (DC 12, see below), poison (Sting—injury; save DC 13; frequency 1/round for 4 rounds; effect 1d4 Constitution damage; cure 1 save, Constitution-based); Special Defenses energy resistance 5, immunity to sleep and paralysis; Special Qualities dark-vision 60 feet, low-light vision, scent.

Dragon Breath Energy
Type Weapon Resistance

Black 30-ft. line of acid acid
Blue 30-ft. line of electricity electricity
Green 20-ft. cone of acid acid
Red 20-ft. cone of fire fire
White 20-ft. cone of cold cold

Brass 30-ft. line of fire fire
Bronze 30-ft. line of electricity electricity
Copper 30-ft. line of acid acid
Silver 20-ft. cone of cold cold
Gold 20-ft. cone of fire fire

8th Level Advancement
Size
Large; Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (clumsy); Attack bite (1d8), 2 claws (1d6), 2 stings (1d4 + poison); Ability Scores +8 Str, +4 Con, -2 Dex; Special Attacks poison (Sting—injury; save DC 15; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d6 Constitution damage; cure 2 consecutive saves, Constitution-based); Special Defenses energy resistance 10; Special Qualities dark-vision 90 feet.

12th Level Advancement
Special Attacks
2 wings (1d4); Special Qualities dark-vision 120 feet.

16th Level Advancement
Speed
40 ft., fly 90 ft. (clumsy); Special Attacks poison (Sting—injury; save DC 17; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 2d4 Constitution damage; cure 2 consecutive saves, Constitution-based); Special Defenses energy resistance 15.

Order of the Horn and Fang (Racial Order):

A cavalier who belongs to this order devotes his life to the service of his liege lord, and the protection of his land and his people. Cavaliers of this order are of minotaur heritage and tend to be strong, cunning, and courageous, of noble heart, and tactically sound in battle. This order complements the horned skyguard racial archetype.

Edicts: The cavalier must seek to bring relief to those under oppression, protect those unable to do so for themselves, defeat the enemies of his people, and do all within his power to ensure the survival of his mount. He must always act in a manner becoming his rank and station. The cavalier must ensure his actions are in the best interest of the minotaur race above all others, and destroy those who seek to bring turmoil and dissonance to the rule of his liege lord.

Challenge: Whenever a horn and fang cavalier issues a challenge while mounted, he receives a +1 morale bonus on all attack damage rolls made against the target of his challenge. This bonus increases by +1 for every four levels the cavalier possesses. Furthermore, should the horned skyguard cavalier use Diplomacy or Intimidate to either change the initial attitude of or demoralize the target of his challenge, the cavalier of the horned skyguard gains a +2 bonus on all such skill checks until the end of the challenge.

Skills: An order of the horned skyguard cavalier adds Knowledge (arcana) (Int) and Knowledge (nobility) (Int) to his list of class skills. In addition, an order of the horned skyguard cavalier adds his Charisma modifier to any Knowledge (arcana) checks related to dragons and any Ride checks made while riding his wyvern drake mount.

Order Abilities: A cavalier that belongs to the order of the horned skyguard gains the following abilities as he increases in level.

Aura of Valor (Ex): At 2nd level, the cavalier gains a +4 moral bonus to saving throws against fear effects. Each ally within 10 feet of the cavalier gains a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. This ability functions only while the horned skyguard cavalier is conscious, not if he is unconscious or dead.

Deadly Charge (Ex): At 8th level, whenever the cavalier makes a charge while mounted on his wyvern drake, he gains a +4 bonus on all attack rolls made to confirm critical hits. If the cavalier confirms a critical hit, he applies the effects of either the Bleeding Critical, Crippling Critical, or Staggering Critical feat an immediate action.

Horned Defender (Ex): At 15th level, the cavalier gains DR 3/—, and energy resistance 10 to the same energy type as his wyvern drake mount. In addition, the cavalier is treated as a creature one size category larger than his own when making grappling checks.

(And here's the link to Elghinn's Half-minotaur race)

LINKY-LINKY

Guess I should have linked it the other way too. :D

Just a quick question before I head back to lizardfolk barbarians and rangers: what do you guys think of this: base concept: Vegepygmy Botanomancer/Seedmaster (working titles). Druid or Summoner archetype? Either way gets a plant-eidolon as a companion. Any summons are thematically restricted to plants and maybe some elemental critters.

Oh, hang on, gonzo-beacon has gone off. I'll go Druid for that one and a Photosynthesist for Summoner - a wearable "plantomaton" beast a la Synthesist summoner. Ouch. Too much fun... Back soon with lizardfolk in tow...

Why I haven't noticed this thread before? Dot.

I like the idea of the botanomancer, but I think it should be druid only, and it shouldn't get an eidolon. The eidolon is the reason why summoners aren't 9th level casters :) I'm not entirely certain that vegepygmys can even express free thought, and anything related to the summoner just really jives with the fluff w.r.t. vegepygmies for me.

@Drejk: Glad you like the thread. I'm always watching your threads with interest.

@Cheapy: Thanks also for stopping by. I'm quite a fan of your work too. I think you're right on the botanomancer - I guess I was trying to creare a more versatile plant companion both in form and function than the druid's animal companion. Though giving the botanomancer a summoner-esque spell progression might also work with a tweaked pleidolont. (Then why isn't it just a summoner? I guess divine spells and a few druid abilities...)

As for the vegepygmy summoner in general - I totally get where you are coming from. Personally, having been a fan of vegepygmies since old 1e Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. I feel the art in the Bestiary does them no justice compared to earlier editions artwork. That aside, they are, to my mind, totally capable of free and independent thought, though probably severely lacking in Wis and Cha... I agree the low Cha doesn't sit well with the idea of a summoner, but I do have an idea for this guy. I'm very interested in Summoner archetypes that are less focused on summoning monsters and more into focused eidolons - so the Photosynthesist will likely have a diminished capability in that summon monster regard.

Thanks!

Maybe wisdom for casting stat as well as a russet mold burst instead of summon monster?

Sounds like a base class, really. A pity that vegepygmies aren't really PC friendly. I suppose a base class that can focus on different plant creatures as a focus. Kind of like a bloodline. If you go summoner, you would have to make a Frankenstein spell list,. That's what brought about the thought of the new base class.

One Root would be vegepygmies. Say another tendriculous. Assassin veins. The ability to summon vegetation. Animated trees...

Hmm...

I think on occassion among the Vegepygmies there is a mutation that makes one more sentient then the others. I've been working on stats for a playable vegepygmies for my games tend to be a lot of science fantasy and had two players die and infected by russet mold. Players were shocked at the sight of a vegepygmy claiming he was a old friend of theirs after they tried to set him on fire after he waved them over with the old druids staff.

I like the idea of the Botanomancer having plant based summons or nature ally spells at its disposal but other then that I could see it have the ability to 'plant' russet mold or other fungi its cultivated. Possibly even let it have the option of having a bonded plant as a companion or maybe even a Leshy as a side effect of being a vegepygmy.

Cant wait to see the results of this!

Vegepygmies not a PC race? Blasphemy! ;)

Yeah I as I said above I was pretty much thinking of altering the spell list of both the druid and summoner archetypes to restrict the summons to plant creatures. I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I'll try to get the lizardfolk out of the way and make some gestatory brainstorm notes on these vegepygmy racial archetypes. I'll likely post my take on the playable vegepygmy race on my other thread... (Link is eight posts above this one...)

I cannot wait to see those scaly wonders.

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ok, here's the Lizardfolk Barbarian racial archetype - the Scale-clawed Marauder! Again, this was put together by Elghinn Lightbringer - all the ideas you guys put up were culled by him and synthesised here:

Scale-clawed Marauder (Lizardfolk Barbarian Racial Archetype):

SCALE-CLAWED MARAUDER
While lizardfolk are tribal in nature, and tend to live in the deep swamps or other unwelcoming terrain, some of them have reverted to a more savage and feral state of existence. These barbaric lizardfolk rely primarily on their brute strength and savage attacks to survive in their perilous and unforgiving homelands.

The following are the class abilities of the scale-clawed marauder:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A scale-claw marauder is proficient with hide armor and armors made from bone (see Special Materials). A scale-claw marauder is also proficient with bone shields and the following weapons: battleaxe, blowgun, club, greatclub, handaxe, longspear, shortspear, sling, and spear.

Savage Bite (Ex): At 1st level, a scale-claw marauder’s bite attack becomes more savage and deals 1d6 points of damage. At 10th level, the damage from a scale-claw marauder's bite increases to 1d8 and deals ×3 damage on a critical hit. This ability replaces fast movement.

Wild Fighting (Ex): At 2nd level, even when not raging, the scale-claw marauder often fights with reckless, savage abandon. A scale-claw marauder using the full-attack action can make one extra attack per round at her highest base attack bonus. Until the beginning of her next turn, however, she takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls and –4 penalty to AC. This ability replaces uncanny dodge.

Lockjaw (Ex): At 3rd level, a scale-claw marauder gains the grab ability with her bite attack. A scale-claw marauder can use this ability on a creature up to one size category larger than she is. This replaces trap sense +1.

Tail Bash (Ex): At 5th level, a scale-claw marauder gains a brutal tail bash attack. This is a secondary natural attack that deals 1d6 points of damage. If the lizardfolk already has the iron tail racial trait, the damage increases to 1d8. At 10th level, the damage from a scale-claw marauder's tail slap increases to 1d8 (or 2d6 if the lizardfolk has the iron tail racial trait – see below) and deals ×3 damage on a critical hit. This ability replaces improved uncanny dodge.

Improved Lockjaw (Ex): At 6th level, as long as a scale-claw marauder is controlling the grapple with her lockjaw attack, she does not gain the grappled condition, but is unable to move or use her mouth for anything other than grappling. This ability replaces trap sense +2.

Natural Armor (Ex): At 7th level, a scale-claw marauder’s hide becomes tougher, granting her a +1 bonus to her natural armor. At 10th level and every three levels thereafter, this bonus increases by 1, to a maximum of +5 at 19th level. This ability replaces damage reduction.

Greater Lockjaw (Ex): At 9th level and again at 15th level, the size of a creature a scale-claw marauder is able to use her lockjaw's grab ability on increases by one size increment. This ability replaces trap sense +3 and trap sense +5.

Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.

Iron Tail: Some lizardfolk undergo special combat training meant to strengthen their tails. Lizardfolk with this trait gain a tail slap attack as a secondary natural attack that deals 1d6 points of damage. This racial trait replaces claws.

Poisonous Bite: Lizardfolk are not normally known to be venomous, but some have developed a natural poison that makes their bites venomous. This racial trait replaces claws.

(Venom–Type poison (injected); Save Fortitude DC 13; Onset 1minute; Frequency 1/minute for 4 minutes; Initial Effect sickened for 1 minute; Secondary Effect sickened for 2d4 hours; Cure 1 save.)

Water Strider: Some lizardfolk are born with the ability to stride along the surface of the water up to their base speed. Lizardfolk with this trait can walk along the surface of any body of water for a number of rounds per day equal to its Hit Dice. These rounds do not need to be consecutive. Lizardfolk with this racial trait lose the swim racial trait.

The lizardfolk ranger racial archetype, the Scaled Monitor will follow in the next day or so...

And here is the Scaled Monitor.

Scaled Monitor (Lizardfolk Ranger Racial Archetype):

Whether originating from the deep desert or lush marshes, these scaly scouts and sojourners take full advantage of their genetic heritage in combat and their affinity with their more primitive cousins, bonding with them as dedicated companions...

The following are the class abilities of the scaled monitor:

Saurian Traits (Ex): A scaled monitor exhibits the traits of his reptilian heritage. At 1st level, and again at 4th level and every four levels thereafter, the scaled monitor can select one saurian trait, as listed below. This ability replaces favored enemy and improved evasion.

Agile Moves: The scaled monitor gains a +2 bonus on Acrobatics and Climb checks.

Fleet-Footed: The scaled monitor gains Run as a bonus feat and a +2 bonus on initiative checks.

Hardy: The scaled monitor gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against poison (magical or otherwise).

Improved Scent (Ex): The scaled monitor gains the Keen Scent ability. The scaled monitor must have the scent trait to select this trait.

Keen Senses: The scaled monitor gains a +2 bonus on Perception checks.

Night Vision: The scaled monitor gains low-light vision.

Poisonous Spittle (Ex): The scaled monitor can spit poison from his mouths as a ranged attack up to 10 feet away. This poison has the following statistics:
type - contact, save Fortitude DC 13; frequency 1/round for 4 rounds; effect 1 Dex damage; cure 1 save.

Powerful Swimmer: The scaled monitor has learned to use his tail to propel himself underwater, increasing his swim speed by 10 feet.

Scent (Ex): The scaled monitor gains the Scent ability.

Silent Hunter: The scaled monitor reduces the penalty for using Stealth while moving by 5 and can make Stealth checks while running at a –20 penalty (this number includes the penalty reduction from this trait). 

Sprinter: The scaled monitor gains a 10-foot bonus to his speed when using the charge, run, or withdraw actions.

Sure-Footed: The scaled monitor does not lose his Dexterity bonus to AC when making Climb or Acrobatics checks to cross narrow or slippery surfaces.

Swamp Skimmer (Ex): The scaled monitor can use his agility to skip across swamps and bogs at half his normal speed by making a DC 15 Acrobatics skill check.

Tough Hide (Ex): The scaled monitor gains a +1 bonus to his natural armor.

Vestigial Gills (Ex): The scaled monitor has simple gills, allowing him to breathe underwater for a number of minutes equal to 1/2 his level + Constitution modifier before having to resurface.

Wildcraft: The scaled monitor gains a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks made above ground.

Saurian Affinity (Ex): At 1st level, a scaled monitor gains a +2 circumstance bonus to Handle Animal and wild empathy checks with lizards, dinosaurs and other reptiles and he can communicate with them as if using a continual speak with animals spell-like ability, but this ability is non-magical. This ability otherwise functions as and replaces wild empathy.

Combat Style Feats: This is exactly like the ranger’s ability of the same name, except that the scaled monitor may select the Guarded Warrior style, Natural Weapon style or the War Monitor combat style, as listed below. 

Guarded Warrior Style: If the scaled monitor selects the guarded warrior style, he can choose from the following list whenever he gains a combat style feat: Covering Defense*, Following Step Up, Greater Disarm, and Outflank*. At 6th level, he adds Step Up and Strike* and Strike Back to the list. At 10th level, he adds Disarming Strike* and Improved Feint Partner† to the list. (*Advanced Player’s Guide, †Ultimate Combat)

Natural Weapon Style: If the scaled monitor selects natural weapon style, he can choose from the following list whenever he gains a combat style feat: Aspect of the Beast, Improved Natural Weapon#, Rending Claws*, and Weapon Focus. At 6th level, he adds Eldritch Claws and Vital Strike to the list. At 10th level, he adds Multiattack# and Improved Vital Strike to the list. (*Advanced Player’s Guide, #Bestiary)

War Monitor Style: If the scaled monitor selects the war monitor style he can choose from the following list whenever he gains a combat style feat: Bloody Assault*, Felling Smash†, Greater Grapple, and Quick Bull Rush. At 6th level, he adds Bull Rush Strike* and Impaling Critical† to the list. At 10th level, he adds Pinning Rend† and Rapid Grappler† to the list. (*Advanced Player’s Guide, †Ultimate Combat)

Saurian Powers: At 3rd level, and every three levels thereafter, a scaled monitor may select one saurian power, as listed below. This ability and advanced saurian powers replace the ranger’s spellcasting ability.

Covered Retreat (Ex): When the scaled monitor takes a move action, the square he starts out in is not considered threatened by any opponent it can see, and therefore visible enemies do not get attacks of opportunity against him when he moves from that square. The scaled monitor must end this movement in a square adjacent to an ally.

Grab (Ex): The scaled motor gains the Grab attack.

Evasion (Ex): The scaled monitor gains the ranger’s evasion ability.

Improved Natural Weapon (Ex): The scaled monitor's natural weapon increases by one damage die (1d3 to 1d4, 1d4 to 1d6, and so on). The scaled monitor may select this power multiple times, but each time it applies to a different natural weapon.

Improved Poisonous Spittle (Ex): The scaled monitor can spit poison as a ranged attack up to 20 feet away. The scaled monitor must have the poisonous spit trait to select this power.

Leap: The scaled monitor adds 1/2 his scaled monitor level to all Acrobatics checks made to jump, and is always treated as if he had a running start when jumping.

Leaping Attack (Ex): Whenever a scaled monitor moves at least 5 feet prior to attacking, he gains a +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls.

Natural Savagery (Ex): The scaled monitor gains a +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls with natural weapons. This bonus also applies to CMB and CMD for grappling.

Rend (Ex): The scaled monitor gains the Rend special attack (see Universal Monster Rules) and can use it with either his natural weapons (bite or claws) or a single melee weapon.

Swamp Walker (Ex): The scaled monitor has natural adaptation that allows him to cross swamps and bogs at his base speed. This functions as the water walk spell, but only in swamps and similar terrain.

Swift Attack (Ex): When using a natural weapon to attack a creature, the scaled monitor adds his Dexterity modifier to his damage rolls in addition to his Strength modifier. The scaled monitor must be at least 10th level to select this power. 

Savage: The scaled monitor deals +1d6 extra points of damage on his first attack in a round against a prone opponent.

Take Down (Ex): Whenever the scaled monitor succeeds on a Trip attack, the target is pinned for 1d4+1 rounds. The scaled monitor must have the Trip power to select this power.

Trip (Ex): The scaled monitor gains the Trip special attack.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): The scaled monitor gains the rogue’s uncanny dodge ability.

Virulent Poison (Ex): The scaled monitor’s poison becomes more powerful, and has the following statistics:
type - contact, save Fortitude DC 17; frequency1/round for 8 rounds; effect 1d2 Dex damage; cure 1 save. 
The scaled monitor must have the poisonous spittle trait to select this power.

Hunter’s Bond (Ex): This is exactly like the ranger ability of the same name, except that a scaled monitor must choose the animal companion bond. This animal companion must be an allosaurus, ankylosaurus, basilosaurus, crocodile, deinonychus, dimetrodon, giant chameleon, giant gecko, giant toad, monitor lizard, snapping turtle, spinosaurus, triceratops, or tyrannosaurus (see Animal Companion Choices on the Pathfinder SRD).

Greater Saurian Affinity (Ex): At 5th level, a scaled monitor gains a +2 insight bonus on wild empathy with lizards, dinosaurs and other reptiles. He may also use saurian affinity to duplicate an Intimidate check rather than a Diplomacy check. In addition, he can influence reptilian lycanthropes and magical beasts with wild empathy if their Intelligence score is 1 or 2, or they do not possess an Intelligence score. This ability replaces evasion.

Advanced Saurian Powers: At 12th level, and every three levels thereafter, a scaled monitor can choose an advanced saurian power in place of a saurian power. The saurian may select from the following advanced powers.

Knock-Out Blow (Ex): Once per day, the scaled monitor can forgo the damage from one of his attacks in an attempt to knock out an opponent. He must declare the use of knock-out blow before he makes the attack. If the attack hits, it does nonlethal damage and the target falls unconscious for 1d4 rounds. A successful Fortitude save reduces this effect to staggered for 1 round. The DC of this save is equal to 10 + 1/2 the scaled monitor’s level + the scaled monitor’s Strength modifier.

Impromptu Flanking (Ex): Whenever the scaled monitor misses with an attack on a flanked opponent, he can designate a single ally who is also flanking the target that his attack missed. That ally can make a single melee attack against the opponent as an immediate action. The scaled monitor can use this power once per day at 12th level, and an additional time per day every three levels thereafter.

Improved Evasion (Ex): The scaled monitor gains the ranger’s improved evasion ability. The scaled monitor must have the evasion power and be at least 15th level to select this power.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): The scaled monitor gains the rogue’s improved uncanny dodge ability. The scaled monitor must have the uncanny dodge power to select this power.

Rapid Attack (Ex): The scaled monitor can combine a full-attack action with a single move. He must forgo the attack at his highest bonus but may take the remaining attacks at any point during his movement. This movement provokes attacks of opportunity as normal.

Ruthless Hunter (Ex): Once per day, the scaled monitor can designate a single enemy he is adjacent to as his prey. Until the end of his next turn, he can add his scaled monitor level as bonus damage to all his attacks made against his prey.

Savage Charge (Ex): Whenever an scaled monitor attacks with a natural weapon at the end of a charge, he gains a bonus on his natural weapon attack rolls equal to 1/2 his scaled monitor level, while suffering a penalty to his AC equal to 1/2 his scaled monitor level. These replace the normal attack roll bonus and AC penalty for charging. This bonus also applies to his CMB for a bull rush or overrun combat maneuvers made when charging. The scaled monitor can use this power with his natural weapons.

Vicious Bite (Ex): When the scaled monitor attacks with a natural weapon, he treats all 1s and 2s on his natural weapon damage rolls as 3s.

Venomous Breath (Ex): The scaled monitor has developed a toxic breath weapon. This breath weapon is a 10-ft. cone that deals 2d6 points of acid, in addition the poison’s effects. If the scaled monitor has the improved poisonous spit power, the breath weapon increases to a 20-ft. cone. The scaled monitor can use this breath weapon once per day at 12th level, plus an additional time per day at 16th level and 20th level. The scaled monitor must have the poisonous spittle trait to select this power.  

Water Breather (Ex): The scaled monitor has gills that allow him to breathe underwater indefinitely. The scaled monitor must have the vestigial gills trait to select this power.

Dark Archive

Ooh, just noticed this thread! Cool stuff.

Oceanshieldwolf wrote:
Next up: the Demonite, a Gnoll Racial Archetype for the Cleric, inspired by an advertisement, for WOTC’s Chainmail miniatures wargame featuring a Gnoll demonpriest, circa 2001. Hopefully I can make it themtically and mechanically different from the Drow Demonic Apostle in the ARG… :}

I vaguely remember something in the dragon about this, an entire section of Greyhawk, perhaps across the Sea of Dust or something, where there was a gnoll necromancer-army or something at war with their neighbors, and it sounded *awesome.*

And then, plotz. Down the memory hole it went.

Thanks Set! I'm quite a fan of your thread.

I cannot take all the credit - folk here are quite creative, and my partner in crime Elghinn Lightbringer helped a lot with the Scaled Monitor - it's a masup/cull of our Apex Warrior from the MCA thread...

Dark Archive

Freedom16 wrote:
I like the idea of the Botanomancer having plant based summons or nature ally spells at its disposal but other then that I could see it have the ability to 'plant' russet mold or other fungi its cultivated. Possibly even let it have the option of having a bonded plant as a companion or maybe even a Leshy as a side effect of being a vegepygmy.

The summoner has a lot of potential as a 'chassis' upon which to build variations, like a Dhampir 'summoner' that has an undead type Eidolon (not merely an outsider with some evolutions that make it look undead) and replacing a lot of their conjuration spells with necromancy spells, or a Vegepygmy summoner that replaces various spells with druid-ish plant spells, chops out a bunch of summoned creatures from their lists and replaces them with plants (or plant type 'animals' and 'vermin,' using a 'plant creature' simple template instead of the celestial / fiendish / axiomatic / etc. templates) and has a plant-type Eidolon, or a construct themed 'Warforged' Summoner who replaces some conjurations with transmutations, has a Construct type Eidolon and replaces the Summon Monster SLA with an Animate Objects SLA.

An illusionist themed 'Summoner' (perhaps tied to the Changeling / hagborn race?) could even have a Shadow Monster Eidolon, replace a bunch of spells with illusions and shadow magic spells, and summon 'quasi-real' shadow monster template creatures, although the weaker eidolon and 'summoned monsters' would likely have to be compensated for by an increase somewhere else (more spellcasting, for instance?).

Thanks to the *ton* of monsters now available at the PFSRD, it's pretty easy to come up with replacement summon monster or summon nature's ally lists entirely based around 'reptiles' or 'vermin' or 'birds' or 'elemental creatures' or 'undead' or 'constructs' or 'plants' or whatever, which makes for a ton of interesting flavor options for highly specialized summoning lists for clerics, druids, summoners, wizards, sorcerers, etc.

Set wrote:

...a construct themed 'Warforged' Summoner who replaces some conjurations with transmutations, has a Construct type Eidolon and replaces the Summon Monster SLA with an Animate Objects SLA.

An illusionist themed 'Summoner' (perhaps tied to the Changeling / hagborn race?) could even have a Shadow Monster Eidolon, replace a bunch of spells with illusions and shadow magic spells, and summon 'quasi-real' shadow monster template creatures, although the weaker eidolon and 'summoned monsters' would likely have to be compensated for by an increase somewhere else (more spellcasting, for instance?).

Funny you should mention those:

Elghinn and I have a couple of Multiclass Archetypes that are similar to those concepts, and could easily be tweaked to make plain archetypes or racial archetypes:

Here's my shadowy bard/summoner: Dreamweaver

Elghinn's clockwork summoner/wizard
Clockwork Mage

And a link to the ranger/fighter Apex Warrior Elghinn and I made and subsequently raided to make The Scaled Monitor Apex Warrior

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Again, by permission of my compatriot OSW, I am posting a new Dwarven related information. All of these are adapted from my own campaign setting.

GIANT DWARF (ULARGRA):

On rare occasions, dwarven children are born with a peculiar abnormality. Just as humans can be stricken by the genetic maladies of gigantism, dwarves can contract a form of gigantism. Those born with this condition, affectionately called bigitis by the dwarves, grow to enormous size, increasing in both mass and girth well beyond that which is normal for their race. By the time they reach maturity, this change results in a tremendous increase in the dwarf’s physical strength, a stature of 6 to 6½ feet, and weight of nearly 500 pounds. However, this increase in size also hinders the dwarf’s agility. A giant dwarf has the same racial traits as a normal dwarf, except as noted below.

Ability Scores: Giant dwarves are much like other dwarves, but are stronger and less agile than others of their kind. They gain +4 Strength and –2 Dexterity, in addition to the normal dwarven ability scores.

Powerful Build: The physical stature of giant dwarves lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a giant dwarf is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for a Combat Maneuver Bonus or Combat Maneuver Defense (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the giant dwarf is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A giant dwarf is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A giant dwarf can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Improved Poison Resistance: Giant dwarves are more resilient to poisons than normal. Their bonus to saving throws against poison granted by the Hardy racial trait increases to +4.

Reduced Defensive Training: Giant dwarves gain only a +2 dodge bonus to AC against monsters of the giant type. This replaces the Defensive Training racial trait.

ALTERNATE RACIAL RULES
While most think of dwarves as a relatively homogenous race, many clans have adapted over the years to better survive in harsh and varied environments. The following options represent some of that customization, and can be taken by any dwarf character.

Alternate Racial Traits:

The following racial traits may be selected instead of the standard dwarf racial traits. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.

Disease Resistance: Dwarves who dwell in filthy and abhorrent conditions have developed a natural resistance to contagions and infections. Dwarves with this racial trait gain a +4 bonus against contracting diseases. This bonus does not apply to magical diseases. This racial trait replaces defensive training.

Elemental Resistance: Dwarves who dwell in the most extreme environments, from arctic wastelands to volcanic plains, develop natural resistance to the dangers of their homelands over the course of a few generations. Dwarves with this racial trait gain elemental resistance 5 to acid, cold, electricity, or fire. This choice is made at character creation, and once made it cannot be changed. This racial trait replaces hardy.

Forest Runner: Some dwarves thrive in the deepest forests and jungles, forever roaming through the trees and heavy vegetation. Dwarves with this racial trait avoid the adverse movement effects of difficult terrain when within jungles and forests, and receive a +4 racial bonus on Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue, exhaustion, or ill effects from running, forced marches, starvation, thirst, or hot or cold environments. This racial trait replaces defensive training.

Forest Walker: More at home in the forests and jungles of the world, these dwarves are well adapted to their surroundings. Dwarves with this trait have low-light vision and gain a +2 racial bonus on Climb checks. This racial trait replaces darkvision.

Knack with Poison: Some dwarves have an instinctive understanding of poisons and their uses. Dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on Fortitude saves against poison and a +2 bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks to make poison. The bonus on Fortitude saving throws against poisons increases to +4 if the dwarf accidentally poisons himself when applying or readying the substance. This racial trait replaces hardy.

Woodcraft: Dwarves who dwell in forests and jungles know the deep secrets of the wild like no others, especially secrets of the forests. Dwarves with this racial trait gain a +1 racial bonus on Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks. In forest terrain, these bonuses improve to +2. This racial trait replaces stonecunning.

Racial Subtypes:

You can combine various alternate racial traits to create dwarven subraces or variant races, such as the following.

Arctic Dwarf: Dwarves living in the cold regions of the far north or high mountain peaks have the elemental resistance and xenophobic traits. Arctic dwarves may exchange defensive training, hatred, and stonecunning for the saltbeard trait if they dwell near the coast.

Jungle Dwarf: Dwarves living in the deep jungles have the forest runner, forest walker, surface survivalist, and woodcraft traits, and often have the knack with poison and xenophobic traits as well.

Wild Dwarf: Dwarves living in the harsh and isolated regions of the world have the disease resistance, knack with poison, and woodcraft traits, and often have the xenophobic trait as well.

RACIAL ARCHETYPES
The following racial archetype is available to dwarves.

Battle Forger (Fighter):

Although dwarves are renowned for their battle prowess in battle, they are also well known for their skill at forging powerful weapons and armor. The battle forger utilizes both dwarven combat training and their inherent metalsmithing skills to defeat their foes.

War Smith (Ex): Battle forgers are not only masters of creating masterwork items made of metal, but also of fashioning masterwork arms and armor of every kind. When a battle forger crafts weapons, armor, or shields, he infuses them with a tiny fraction of his own inherent martial power—this enables the creation with powerful effects, but also binds the effects to the creator. When using Craft (armorsmithing), Craft (weaponsmithing), or another required Craft skill to create a masterwork mundane item, a battle forger gains a competence bonus equal to his battle forger level on the Craft check. In addition, a battle forger can use Craft (armorsmithing) or Craft (weaponsmithing) to identify magical arms and armor as if using detect magic. He must hold the weapon or armor for 1 round to make such a check.

A battle forger can employ his mystical martial energies to convert a non-masterwork weapon, suit of armor, or shield into its masterwork equivalent his Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). In so doing, a normal sword becomes a masterwork sword, a suit of leather armor becomes a masterwork suit of leather armor, and so on at a phenomenal rate.

To transform a mundane item into a masterwork equivalent requires 1 hour of work and a Craft skill check against the appropriate DC (see Table 4-4: Craft Skills). Doing so also consumes special reagents, but the cost of these materials is insignificant—comparable to the valueless material components of most spells. The battle forger can affect 50 pieces of ammunition as if they were one weapon, and he can decide if the object’s appearance changes to reflect this improved quality. If an object has multiple masterwork options (such as a double weapon, or a spiked shield that could be made masterwork as a weapon or armor), the battle forger must choose one option of the object to affect (though he can expend another use of this ability to affect another option). If the target object has no masterwork equivalent, then this ability has no effect.

Should a battle forger expend all his daily uses of this transformative ability, he can create masterwork items through the usual methods as normal (see Craft Masterwork Items on p. 93 of the Core Rulebook). In either case, a battle forger must have the necessary tools at hand when crafting the desired item, such as a forge or similar implements. This ability replaces the bonus feat gained at 1st level.

Forgehand (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a battle forger gains a +1 bonus on Fortitude saves against nonlethal damage for hot conditions (see Heat in the Environmental Rules section of the Game Masters Guide), and on Reflex saves against fire-based spells and effects. This bonus increases by +1 for every four levels beyond 2nd. This ability replaces bravery.

Master Craftsman (Ex): At 2nd level, a battle forger gains Master Craftsman as a bonus feat, even if he does not have the normal the prerequisites. When using this feat to craft magical weapons, armor, shields, or bracers, the battle forger uses his level as his caster level and is considered to have all necessary requirements (including spells) to construct the item. As normal, he must spend the appropriate gp and time costs for its construction. This ability replaces the bonus feat gained at 2nd level.

Battle Forging (Su): Starting at 3rd level, a battle forger can expend a use of his war smith ability to enhance masterwork arms and armor. He can grant a masterwork weapon, suit of armor, shield, or set of bracers a permanent +1 enhancement bonus. For every four levels beyond 3rd, the battle forger can add another +1 enhancement bonus to the target item, to a maximum of +5 at 19th level. These bonuses can also be added to magical arms and armor, stacking with existing armor or shield enhancement to a maximum of +5 (+8 for bracers of armor). The target item must be of masterwork quality before these enhancements can be added. Enhancing masterwork arms or armor requires 2 hours of work for each +1 enhancement bonus added to the target item. This ability replaces armor training and armor mastery.

Martial Pool (Su): Stating at 5th level, a battle forger gains a reservoir of martial energy that he can draw upon to enhance his arms or armor. This pool has a number of points equal to 1/2 his battle forger level (minimum 1) + his Wisdom modifier. The pool refreshes once per day when the battle forger rests. A battle forger can use his martial pool to enhance arms and armor in the following ways.

A battle forger can expend 1 point from his martial pool as a swift action to grant any weapon, armor, shield, or set of bracers he is holding or wearing a +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute. For every four levels beyond 5th, the target item gains another +1 enhancement bonus, to a maximum of +4 at 17th level. These bonuses can be added to the target item, stacking with existing item enhancement to a maximum of +5. Multiple uses of this ability do not stack with themselves.

In addition, these bonuses can be used to add special weapon or armor properties to the target item. Adding these properties temporarily consumes an amount of bonus equal to the property’s base price modifier (see Table 15–9 on page 469 of the Core Rulebook). These properties are added to any the target item already has, but duplicates do not stack. If the target item is not magical, at least a +1 enhancement bonus must be added before any other properties can be added. These bonuses and properties are decided when the martial pool point is spent and cannot be changed until the next time the battle forger uses this ability.

These bonuses do not function if the target item is wielded or worn by anyone other than the battle forger. A battle forger can only enhance one weapon and one suit of armor, shield, or set of bracers in this way at one time. If he uses this ability again on a similar target item, the first use immediately ends. The target item imparts no bonuses if it is held or worn by anyone other than the battle forger, but resumes giving bonuses if returned to the battler forger. A battle forger can add the following special properties according to the target item type.

Armor and Shields: A battle forger can use his enhancement bonus to add any of the following armor or shield properties: arrow catching, arrow deflection, energy resistance, improved energy resistance, invulnerability, light fortification, and medium fortification. The battle forger may also add these properties to a set of bracers.

Weapons: A battle forger can use his enhancement bonus to add any of the following melee or ranged weapon properties: cunning, defending, distance, keen, mighty cleaving, returning, seeking, speed, throwing, vicious, and wounding. These bonuses apply to only one end of a double weapon, and the battle forger must spend an additional point from his martial pool to add properties to the other end of a double weapon.
This ability replaces weapon training.

Swift Forging (Ex): At 6th level, a battle forger can create masterwork items with astounding speed. It takes a battle forger half the normal amount of time to create masterwork items, either using his martial powers to transform mundane items into masterwork equivalents, or through the normal methods used for crafting such items. This ability replaces the bonus feat gained at 6th level.

Improved Metalworks (Ex): At 10th level, whenever a battle forger smith crafts masterwork or magical arms and armor (including bracers of armor), his construction costs is reduced to 75% of the normal cost. This ability replaces the bonus feat gained at 10th level.

Persistent Forging (Su): At 14th level, the effects of battle forging last for 1 hour per level. This ability replaces the bonus feat gained at 14th level.

Greater Metalworks (Ex): At 18th level, whenever a battle forger smith crafts masterwork or magical arms and armor (including bracers of armor), his construction costs is reduced to 50% of the normal cost. This ability replaces the bonus feat gained at 18th level.

Forge Mastery (Su): At 20th level, a battle forger can use his martial pool to grant any weapon, armor, shield, or set of bracers he is holding or wearing a +5 enhancement bonus for 1 minute per battle forger level. This bonus can be added to the target item, stacking with existing item enhancement to a maximum of +6. Multiple uses of this ability do not stack with themselves. In addition, the battle forger can add the following special properties according to the target item type.

Armor and Shields: A battle forger adds the following armor or shield properties to the list of those he can select: greater energy resistance and heavy fortification. The battle forger may also add these properties to a set of bracers.

Weapons: A battle forger adds vorpal to the list of melee and ranged weapon properties he can select. This bonus applies to only one end of a double weapon, and the battle forger must spend an additional point from his martial pool to add properties to the other end of a double weapon.

This ability replaces weapon mastery.

Stone Sage (Druid):

Although dwarves are not known for their love of trees and animals of the surface world, they are well known for their often obsessive fascination with stone and earth. The stone sage channels this affinity to establish a kinship with the stone and with creatures from the elemental plane of earth that is unmatched by most other races.

Spells: A stone druid learns, prepares, and cast spells as a druid. In addition, a stone druid removes summon nature’s ally from his spell list and replaces it with summon monster. When using summon monster, the stone druid can only summon earth elementals or creatures with the earth subtype.

Bonus Language: This is exactly like the druids ability of the same name, except that a stone sage’s bonus language options include Terran, the language of earth-based creatures, instead of Sylvan.

Earth Empathy (Ex): A stone sage can improve the attitude of an earth elementals or creatures with the earth subtype. This ability functions just like the druid’s wild empathy, but applies only to the creatures listed above. Such creatures have a starting attitude of unfriendly. If a stone sage uses this ability to influence a dragon with the earth subtype, he takes a –4 penalty on the check. This ability replaces wild empathy.

Improved Stonecunning (Ex): A stone sage’s sense for stonework becomes uncanny. His bonus on Perception checks to notice unusual stonework increases to +4. This ability replaces nature sense.

Nature Bond (Ex): This is exactly like the druid ability of the same name, except that if the stone sage selects the nature bond, he must select either the Earth domain or one of its subdomains.

Alternatively, if a stone sage selects the companion bond, he gains a small earth elemental as his companion, and uses the Animal Companion table for advancement, as normal. At 4th level, the elemental companion increases one size category to Medium, and an additional size category to Large at 10th level. Apply bonuses and penalties as normal due to size change (see p. 293 of the Bestiary).

Spontaneous Casting: This is exactly like the druid ability of the same name, except that a stone sage can “lose” a prepared spell in order to cast any summon monster spell of the same level or lower. A stone sage always summons an earth elemental or earth-based creature of the appropriate size and Hit Dice.

Stone Walk (Su): At 3rd level, a stone sage can pass through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. He can use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to 1/2 his stone sage level + his Wisdom modifier. If protected against fire damage, he can even glide through lava. This mode of travel leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other sign of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area where the stone sage is located flings him back 30 feet, stunning him for 1 round unless he succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save. This ability otherwise functions as the earth glide ability. This ability replaces woodland stride and trackless step.

Earthen Resilience (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a stone sage gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against spells and the spell-like abilities with the earth descriptor. This bonus also applies to spells and effects that deal acid damage, such as acid arrow, acid fog, acid splash, and corrosive touch. This ability replaces resist nature’s lure.

Wild Shape (Su): This is exactly like the druid ability of the same name, except that a stone sage can only transform himself into an earth elemental.

At 4th level, a stone sage gains the ability to turn himself into a Small earth elemental. When taking the form of an elemental, the stone sage’s wild shape functions as elemental body I.

At 8th level, a druid can use wild shape to change into a Medium earth elemental as if using elemental body II.

At 10th level, a druid can use wild shape to change into a Large earth elemental as if using elemental body III.

At 12th level, a druid can use wild shape to change into a Huge earth elemental as if using elemental body IV.

At 16th level, a druid can use wild shape to change into a Gargantuan earth elemental. This functions as elemental body IV except that the stone sage gains a +10 size bonus to your Strength, a -2 penalty on your Dexterity, a +6 size bonus to your Constitution, and a +8 natural armor bonus.

Stone Tell (Sp): At 9th level, a stone sage gains the ability to speak with stones, whether natural or worked stone, at will. This ability functions as the stone tell spell. This ability replaces venom immunity.

Stoneskin (Sp): At 13th level, a stone sage can harden his skin, turning aside even the most brutal of physical attacks. He can use this ability for a number of minutes per day equal to his stone sage level + his Wisdom modifier. These minutes do not need to be consecutive, but must be used in 1-minute increments. This ability otherwise functions as the stoneskin spell. This ability replaces a thousand faces.

Iron Body (Sp): At 17th level, a stone sage can, as a standard action, transform his body into living iron for a number of rounds per day equal to his stone sage level. These rounds do not need to be consecutive. This ability replaces timeless body.

NEW FEATS
The following new feats can be chosen by the one of the dwarven racial archetype.

Command Elemental:

Using powers of elemental energy, you can command elemental creatures, making them into your servants.

Prerequisites: Channel energy class feature and Elemental Channel feat, or the stone sage dwarven racial archetype.

Benefit: As a standard action, you can use one of your uses of channel energy to enslave elementals within 30 feet. Elementals receive a Will save to negate the effect. The DC for this Will save is equal to 10 + 1/2 your cleric (or stone sage) level + your Charisma modifier. Elementals that fail their saves fall under your control, obeying your commands to the best of their ability, as if under the effects of control undead. Intelligent elementals receive a new saving throw each day to resist your command. You can control any number of elementals, so long as their total Hit Dice do not exceed your cleric level. If you use channel energy in this way, it has no other effect (it does not heal or harm nearby creatures). If an elemental creature is under the control of another creature, you must make an opposed Charisma check whenever your orders conflict. You can only command elementals of the same subtype chosen for the Elemental Channel feat.

Special: If you have the stone sage dwarven racial archetype, you can command earth elementals a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier. A stone sage does not have the channel energy ability.

Eternal Forging:

You can make the effects of your forging permanent.

Prerequisite: Battle forger 16, persistent forging class feature.

Benefit: If a battle forger enhances a weapon, suit of armor, shield, or set of bracers using his battle forging ability, the effects of that forging become permanent until he chooses to make another effect permanent on a similar item.

Infused Forging:

You can make the effects of your forging last longer.

Prerequisite: Battle forger 3rd.

Benefit: When the battle forger enhances a weapon, suit of armor, shield, or set of bracers using his battle forging ability, he can infuse it with an extra bit of his own martial power. The target item enhanced now persists even after the alchemist sets it down. As long as the target item exists, it continues to occupy one of the battle forger’s magical item slots. An infused target item can be held or worn by a non-battle forger to gain its effects.

Nice dwarf stuff Elghinn, I had a similar idea with the dwarven racial subtypes...I think one of the dwarves I made were based off the mongolians...in anycase. I was Wondering about 2 things involving the Scaled Monitor, Do you think we could make a version of it for the spell-less ranger from open design? Also I was wondering about the rend ability and how it works, to use rend ability would I need to use Claw-claw or Claw-Bite because the wording confused me abit. Well that's all folk!

Happy Homebrewing.

As time and funds permit I will look at the Spell-less Ranger...
I'm waaay into the concept...

I shall Wait..it will be well worth the wait.

And here is my Elven goodies, by permission of OSW. Adaptations again from my campaign setting.

UDDA (DESERT ELF):

Long ago, the udda were once part of a single race of elves, but when a lone house relocated to the hot, dry wasteland, the desert elves were born. These reclusive elves are the guardians of the deserts where they make their home. Over many generations, these elves evolved into creatures of the desert; their skin darkened, they learned to use the desert to their advantage, to grow and hunt for food, and to tap into the regions natural magic. They took the name of udda, meaning one with the sands in the ancient tongue, and carved out a niche for themselves that allowed them to not only survive, but to thrive in one of the most inhospitable climes of the world. Typically encountered at a distance, the udda can be seen standing upon the crest of a distant sand dune, keeping a watchful eye out for possible threats and defilers of their lands. Few desert travelers have seen an udda up close, but those who become lost and have obeyed the laws of the desert often find themselves placed upon the right course again. Stories tell of wayfarers who have fainted from dehydration or over exposure to the sun in the vast wasteland, and upon awakening, found themselves refreshed with filled water skins and packs full of food, or placed at the edge of an oasis. Such acts of kindness are accredited to the reclusive udda.

Physical Qualities: Slightly taller than other elves, the udda have trim, athletic forms, stand between 6 and 6–1/2 feet tall, and weigh around 180 pounds. They possess the same grace, agility, and natural affinity to magic as their kin. Their skin is a deep brown, though it can range from light brown to dark umber. Their hair tends to be black or dark brown, though deep auburn is not unheard of. Regardless of color, udda hair is usually worn in a long elaborate braid, with certain styles denoting membership to a specific family clan. Their eyes are typically dark brown, but hazel or vibrant green have been known to occur.

Society: The udda dwell in an underground network of caverns that run throughout the desert floor. Their egalitarian society consists of huge communities separated into tribes or family units called seitches consisting of 15-30 members. These seitches often band together for the good of their tribe in times of war, famine, or tragedy. Larger communities called burghs, consisting of anywhere from 30 to 50 tribes (600 to 1,500 udda), housed in closely connected cavern complexes, serve as centers of commerce and governance over the widely spread race. These burghs are many miles apart, while seitches tend to have only a few miles separating them. Each seitch is governed over by an Un’pur, who is typically the wisest and most powerful warrior among them. The unforgiving desert has taught the udda that to cooperate and trust one another is to survive, and so they have built their society upon the virtues of sharing and equality in all things. Such a culture negates the need for theft. Thus, stealing carries the irrevocable penalty of death among the communities–hence a warning to all who might travel within these austere people.

Relations: The udda, like their other surface dwelling cousins, hold a deep animosity and hatred towards the drow. The drow are viewed as malevolent, power-hungry, and selfish–the antithesis of their culture. Although the udda are ready to defend their lands from dark elf incursions, they are on friendly terms with many desert dwelling and earth-based creatures, like deep gnomes, but foremost are the desert giants with whom they have had a long and mutually beneficial alliance. Since udda rarely encounter others of the elven race, any who are met in the desert are treated with great respect. The elf, and usually his companions receive the hospitality of the nearest seitch, given food, drink, protection, medical aid, and a place to rest. Even half-elves are treated as brothers of the elven blood, especially those of their particular subrace. Udda have virtually no contact with dwarves or halflings, so are impartial towards them. Humans are numerous throughout their desert lands and are on good terms with some of the nomadic human tribes, and hostile towards others, but due to their hatred of the orc and goblin races, half-orcs are always with contempt.

Alignment and Religion: Due to their affinity with the unforgiving desert, udda tend to be neutrally aligned. While most lawfully adhere to their cultural tenets, some udda prefer a more chaotic approach to life. As custodians of the desert wastes, the udda favor gods that uphold their edicts. Most udda venerate deities of nature who oversee all lands and terrain, some worship deities of battle or protection, while others, primarily those possessing a strong will of their own favor deities of freedom, luck, or stealth.

Adventurers: The udda are typically suspicious of all strangers, a necessary quality for survival in the unforgiving desert. Because of this, they are isolationists in nature, but on occasion do welcome or aid travelers in need. To those who are in trouble, they often show compassion, unless they have proven to be enemies of either the udda or the desert and its natural inhabitants. Because of the unpredictable land in which they live, udda have become very adaptable and cunning, for they “bend with the wind” as the saying goes, for to do otherwise is to be broken in the storm. The udda rely heavily upon the practical way in which they go about their daily lives. Like the majority of their military leaders, wisemen, healers, and seitch guardians, udda prefer classes like the ranger, druid, and specialist wizards adept at spells of elemental fire or earth.

Male Names: Albrin, Brendil, Haslyn, Kelvris, Lestholin, Naryan, Zoresh.

Female Names: Ansoleen, Celebriel, Fynrae, Jornil, Nilassil, Prinal, Quelesse, Sonavel, Zebeyana.

UDDA RACIAL TRAITS
Ability Scores: Udda are agile and wise, but their forms are frail. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, –2 Constitution.

Medium: Udda are Medium creatures, and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Normal Speed: Udda have a base speed of 30 feet.

Darkvision: Udda can see in the dark up to 60 feet.

Desert Runner: Udda gain a +4 racial bonus on Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue and exhaustion, as well as any other ill effects from running, forced marches, starvation, thirst, and hot or cold environments.

Desert Warrior: Udda gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC when in a desert.

Dune Strider: Udda can move through natural difficult terrain at their normal speed while within the desert. Magically altered terrain affects them normally.

Energy Resistance: Udda gain fire resistance 5.

Hidden Survivor: Udda gain a +4 racial bonus on Stealth and Survival checks while within the desert.

Keen Senses: Udda receive a +2 bonus on Perception skill checks.

Weapon Familiarity: Udda are proficient with kukris, scimitars, and spears, and treat any weapon with the word “elven” in its name as a martial weapon.

Languages: Udda begin play speaking Common and Elven. Udda with high Intelligence scores can choose any of the following: Auran, Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Sylvan, Terran, and Undercommon.

ALTERNATE RACIAL RULES
Elves, by their very nature, are a race with a wide variety of traits and features, many of which are drawn from the environment in which they live. The following rules represent some of those varied aspects, and while many are themed to one environment or another, they can be taken by any elf character.

Alternate Racial Traits:

The following racial traits may be selected instead of the standard elf racial traits. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.

Bond of the Land: Some elves have strong ties to specific kinds of terrain. These elves gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC when in a specific terrain type selected from the ranger list of favored terrains. This choice is made at character creation, and cannot be changed. This racial trait replaces keen senses.

Deep Warrior: Some elves dwell in the deep and dangerous tunnels of the earth. Elves with this racial trait grew up facing the abominations that live deep beneath the surface. They receive a +2 dodge bonus to AC against monsters of the aberration type and a +2 racial bonus on combat maneuver checks made to grapple such creatures (or to continue a grapple). This racial trait replaces elven magic.

Deepsight: Some elves are specially adapted to the lightless depths of the oceans, but not to air-filled environments. They can see in the dark up to 120 feet while underwater, but do not gain this benefit out of water. This racial trait replaces low-light vision.

Guardian of the Deep: Some elves spend most of their time beneath the waves. Elves with this trait are amphibious and can breathe both air and water. They also gain a swim speed of 30 feet. This racial trait replaces elven immunities.

Lorekeeper: Elves keep extensive records about their history and the world around them. Elves with this racial trait receive a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (history) checks that pertain to elves or their enemies. They can make such skill checks untrained. This racial trait replaces keen senses.

Stonecunning: Some elves possess an affinity to the earth instead of trees. Elves with this trait gain a +2 bonus on Perception checks to notice unusual stonework, such as traps and hidden doors located in stone walls or floors. They receive a check to notice such features whenever they pass within 10 feet of them, whether or not they are actively looking. This racial trait replaces keen senses.

Xenophobic: Isolationist elves despise non-elven humanoids. They speak only Elven and do not gain any bonus languages from possessing a high Intelligence score. In addition, they learn only one language per 2 ranks of Linguistics they possess. However, their untrusting nature gives them a +1 bonus against mind-affecting effects, except for fear affects. This racial trait replaces an elf's normal languages.

Racial Subtypes:

You can combine various alternate racial traits to create elven subraces or variant races, such as the following.

Deep Elf: Elves living in the dark tunnels beneath the surface of the earth have the darkvision, deep warrior, stonecunning, and xenophobic traits.

Forgotten Elf: Elves of the first royal bloodline usually have the envoy and lorekeeper traits.

Sea Elf: Elves living beneath the waves of sea have the deepsight, guardian of the deep, and spirit of the waters.

RACIAL ARCHETYPES
The following racial archetype is available to dwarves.

High Guard (Fighter):

Elves are most renowned for their skill with magic and forest lore. However, within the ranks of their warriors are those specifically trained in combat with the weapons of their elven heritage. The high guard merges elven agility with the specialized training of the elven curved blade to create a deadly and efficient swordsman.

Graceful Blademaster: At 1st level, a high guard gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. This ability replaces the bonus feat gained at 1st level.

Sword Guard (Ex): At 2nd level, a high guard gains a +1 bonus to any combat maneuver checks made with an elven curved blade. This bonus also applies to the high guard's Combat Maneuver Defense when defending against disarm and sunder attempts made against an elven curved blade. This bonus increases by +1 for every four levels beyond 2nd. This ability replaces bravery.

Elven Blade Training (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a high guard is specially trained to use the elven curved blade. Whenever he attacks with an elven curved blade, he gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls. Every four levels thereafter (9th, 13th, and 17th), a high guard gains an additional +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls when using an eleven curved blade. This ability replaces armor training.

Defensive Parry (Ex): At 5th level, when a high guard makes a full attack with an elven curved blade, he gains a +1 bonus to AC against melee attacks until the beginning of his next turn. This bonus increases by +1 every four levels after 5th. This ability replaces weapon training 1 and 4.

Keen Edge (Ex): Starting at 9th level, whenever a high uses his elven curved blade, it is treated as if it had the keen special weapon property. This ability replaces armor training 2.

Adamantine Sword (Ex): At 13th level, a high guard's elven curved blade is treated as adamantine for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. This ability replaces weapon training 3.

Whirlwind Blade (Ex): At 19th level, a high guard can make a full-attack action with his elven curved blade as a standard action. He may also use the Whirlwind Attack feat as a standard action. This ability replaces armor mastery.

Elven Blade Mastery (Ex): At 20th level, whenever a high guard makes an attack with an elven curved blade, all critical threats are automatically confirmed and its damage multiplier is increased by 1. In addition, he cannot be disarmed while wielding an elven curved blade. This ability replaces weapon mastery.

Arcane Arcist (Sorcerer):

Elves seem to possess an affinity for arcane magic, unsurpassed by the other races, and are numbered among the most puissant spellcasters of all the races. However, instead of developing this innate talent and increasing their spellcasting skills, some turn their talents inward and train their bodies to repel and defeat spells and other magic used against them. Through the constant exposure to raw arcane energies, the arcane arcist has developed a form of magic resistance and learned to manipulate those energies to better defend against their effects. An arcane arcist gains the forbidden bloodline.

Forbidden Bloodline
Your blood has been infused with magical energies forbidden long ago by the greatest of elven sages, transforming you into a being that is the near antithesis of magic itself. You are able to counter spells with a thought, render magic effects inert, and even resist magical effects altogether. This bloodline complements the Arcane Arcist racial archetype.

Class Skill: Disable Device.

Bonus Spells: shield (3rd), resist energy (5th), dispel magic (7th), curse of magic negation** (9th), break enchantment (11th), globe of invulnerability (13th), spell turning (15th), protection from spells (17th), wall of suppression* (19th). (*Advanced Player’s Guide, **Ultimate Magic, †Ultimate Combat)

Bonus Feats: Destructive Dispel†, Disruptive, Greater Spell Penetration, Improved Counterspell, Improved Iron Will, Iron Will, Parry Spell*, Spell Focus (abjuration), Spell Penetration, Spellbreaker. (*Advanced Player’s Guide, †Ultimate Combat)

Bloodline Arcana: Whenever you make a counterspell attempt against an opponent, you gain a bonus to your Spellcraft check made to identify your target’s spell equal to 1/2 your sorcerer level.

Bloodline Powers: You possess ancient and forbidden arcane knowledge that allows you draw upon it to counter magic effects, regardless of its source.

Disruption (Su): At 1st level, you gain the ability to disrupt spellcasting with a touch. As a melee touch attack, you can place a disruptive field around the target. While the field is in place, the target must make a concentration check to cast any spell or to use a spell-like ability in addition to any other required concentration checks. The DC of this check is equal to 15 + twice the spell’s level. If the check is failed, the target’s spell is wasted. This field lasts for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your sorcerer level (minimum 1). You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.

Arcane Trapfinding: At 3rd level, you can add 1/2 your level to Perception skill checks made to locate magic traps and to Disable Device skill checks (minimum +1) made to disarm magic traps.

Counter Dispelling (Sp): At 9th level, you can cast dispel magic to counter magical spells and effects, once per day. When using this ability, the spell targets a spellcaster and is cast as a counterspell. Unlike a true counterspell, however, dispel magic may not work; you must make a dispel check to counter the other spellcaster's spell. At 9th level, you gain a +2 bonus on your dispel check to counter the other spellcaster's spell. At 15th level, this bonus increases to +4. You can use this ability once per day at 9th level, plus an additional time per day every three levels beyond 9th.

Aura of Resistance (Ex): At 15th level, you can, as a swift action, erect an aura that grants you spell resistance equal to 12 + your sorcerer level. This aura can be used for a number of minutes per day equal to your sorcerer level. These minutes do not need to be consecutive, but must be used in 1-minute increments. While this aura is in effect, it cannot be voluntarily lowered, except at 1-minute intervals. In addition, anytime you cast a spell while the aura is in effect, you must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against this spell resistance. On a successful check, your spell is completed and penetrates your spell resistance, taking effect as normal. Failure indicates that you failed to muster up enough magical energy to cast the spell, but the spell is not lost and may be attempted again. Any feats or abilities that aid in bypassing spell resistance help with this check.

Draining Touch (Su): At 20th level, you can, once per day as a standard action, drain all magical properties from an item with a mere touch. The item touched must make a successful Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your sorcerer level + your Charisma modifier) to prevent it from being drained. If a creature is holding the item at the time, then the item can use the holder's Will save bonus in place of the above DC if the holder's is better. In such cases, contact is made by making a melee touch attack roll. Upon draining an item, you gain a number of bonus spell levels equal to the 1/2 the item’s caster level. You can then use these bonus spell levels to cast any spell of the appropriate level or levels that you know without expending spell slots. For example, if you drain a staff of healing, you gain 4 bonus spell levels (caster level 8th). You can then use those spell levels to any 4th level spell you know, or any combination of 4 spells levels (four 1st–level spells, two 2nd–level spells, or one 1st–level and one 3rd–level spell). Drained items are only restorable by a wish or miracle spell.

1 to 50 of 104 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Homebrew and House Rules / OSW's Racial Archetypes All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.