By request: some of my houserules

Homebrew and House Rules

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Someone asked me to show some stuff, so I will. Keep in mind my changes are extensive, hence I 'rewrote the book'. If something seems weird, OP or UP it is probably because of changes elsewhere, and it is still a work in progress.

First of all, familiarize yourself with some of the basic changes with my 'patchlist' here.

Below is the stuff I will share for now. I made 10-level base classes because after tenth number inflation becomes a serious problem and frankly I didn't want to bother with them. I consider them forever wasted and unfixable. Other stuff which I will not share in this post are skills, feats and the rules for combat, magic, overland travel and the various arcane, divine and psychic effects. Some of it I'm not sure about copyright issues (magic and combat), the rest is just a list of stuff I will only show on request.

I will also not post the Druid class because I copied Trailblazer's Wild Shape, which as far as I know is not open content. Unless pointed out otherwise I will not take the risk.

Keep in mind I have mostly gathered stuff from other sources and put them together in a presentable way. I'd guess about 25% of the material is my own, 25% is inspired by ideas read somewhere and 50% is blatant copypasta, almost all of it from the Pathfinder CRB. If you see anything you like, feel free to use it in your own games, as long as you don't get paid for it. If you see anything you think is yours and I show it here without permission, please inform me.

Some of the names from here that deserve credit are Kirth Gersen, Evil Lincoln, Porpentine and Ashiel.

Basics
Races
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Fighter
Monk
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Wizard
Equipment rules

JrK wrote:
***good stuff***

Nice work JrK. I haven't read all of it yet, but I just had to say: lots of good stuff, and the cleric is bloody brilliant! Really dig the spellcasting with divine favor, and the blessings, and Powerful Aura!

I love the idea of the cleric, but have always been disappointed in the execution.

Well that makes it worth it doesn't it. Thanks! The cleric is one of the few revisions I can say is all my own ideas.

Liberty's Edge

Hi JrK. There are some very interesting ideas here. I am seriously thinking of using some of them.

I am curious about the mechanics behind your Arcane spell casting system. I did not come across the info in the docs I looked through. Did I miss it or was it not among the docs you linked?

I didn't explain that here because it was a question I anticipated. I did explain that in the other thread that spawned this one. The issue with the arcane magic is that I've basically copied True Sorcery's system. I only adapted a few things to work with the mechanics I had laid down already. You can look that up for yourself, but it works by making a spellcraft check and adding modifiers, set against a DC determined by the spell. You can augment any spell by giving it different ranges, targets and so on.

I'd rather not go into the details because afaik True Sorcery is not open content and I do not want to breach copyright. True Sorcery however uses its own class so I feel free to make my own class which uses the same mechanics, but is otherwise nothing like it.

EDIT: Well it is open gaming content apparently. Let us just say that I copypasta'd the basics, edited the spell effects to fit in and created a few spell effects of my own, but I'd prefer not to claim credit for something that isn't really mine. Or does open gaming license mean I can just post it?

Dark Archive

Open Gaming License means you can post it so long as you include the appropriate Open Gaming License blurb with it, and list all your sources the way all the OGL books do.

Thanks, looks like I'll have to make a sources list.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32

Elder Scrolls set dressing for this ruleset?

Nice.

Daron Woodson
Abandoned Arts

Dark Archive

JrK wrote:
Thanks, looks like I'll have to make a sources list.

Its worth noting that you have to list not only your sources, but your sources sources as well.

Dark Archive

Is there going to be an update to this?

It looked pretty interesting.

I'll have to go through the magic system to see what I did copy and what I added myself. Once that is done I guess I can post everything I have. :)

Dark Archive

You can actually repost all of it, including the stuff you copied, as its covered under the OGL. You just need to use the list of sources at the back of their system, and add in any other sources you used.

I know but since my work was done over the course of a year I need to go through it so that I don't forget any sources. I haven't actually sourced any of my houserules because I didn't expect to post them when I made them.

Dark Archive

Ah. Gotcha.

Well you probably didn't use more than a few sources, but I wish you luck in your doublechecking; and look forward to reading your game mechanics once you're done. I'm a bit of a sucker for alternate magic systems.

Some of the books I used have a ton of source material I need to copy. I'll do my best to mark any specific sources (meaning: non-paizo, non-dnd specific things). But it will take a while.

Dark Archive

If you can give a list of all the books you used, I could throw together the OGL Blurb you need.

Thanks, but that's already done. :)

Dark Archive

You're already done making the OGL Blurb? Cool!

So what's left to do before it can be uploaded so we can see it?

I want to add a little source line to everything I got from somewhere new. Also while doing that I recalled a few sources I had forgotten so added them to the OGL text. I just need to be sure I don't forget everything, and the source lines are just something I want to do personally.

Dark Archive

JrK wrote:
I want to add a little source line to everything I got from somewhere new. Also while doing that I recalled a few sources I had forgotten so added them to the OGL text. I just need to be sure I don't forget everything, and the source lines are just something I want to do personally.

Okie Dokie.

I thought it was that you were having a hard time figuring out the OGL Blurb at the back.

Looking forward to seeing it when it's ready.

Right, I'm done with the sourcing. I had to remove races and some other selections from the other materials, as I don't want it to seem like I have an open gaming license for The Elder Scrolls material. That part is purely houserule conversion and not part of the core.

I will upload the package soon, I have to convert them to .pdf and then upload them and make a post. It will take some time. Once the new ones are up I will delete the old files.

An introduction I wrote to present myself and my design philosophy.

An overview of the changes I made. As they are hard to locate when viewing some of the basic files. One should read these first to get a general idea.

Some setting related stuff. This does not fall under Kastopia as the rules I have made under OGL, but it is purely houserule-only conversion stuff which I use. Still, I put them here because races are important. It should also indicate the direction I want to go with races.

Without further ado, the actual rules (all documents have bookmarks):
Basic stuff. Also includes OGL blurb.
Combat rules.
Equipment rules.

Something about magic rules: these are actually not playtested and the numbers probably require tweaking. Everything from spell, augmentation DC's to aptitude bonuses.
Magic rules. Includes a short chapter on divine casting (which is real easy; arcane magic is more complicated).
The actual arcane spell effects.
The divine spheres.
And the three arcane casting classes, and the two divine casting classes:
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Sorcerer
Wizard

The other classes:
Barbarian
Fighter
Ranger
Rogue
Monk and their choice of psychic powers

Finally, Feats and Skills.

I don't seem to be able to edit my first post so it will have to go here.

JrK wrote:

An introduction I wrote to present myself and my design philosophy.

An overview of the changes I made. As they are hard to locate when viewing some of the basic files. One should read these first to get a general idea.

Some setting related stuff. This does not fall under Kastopia as the rules I have made under OGL, but it is purely houserule-only conversion stuff which I use. Still, I put them here because races are important. It should also indicate the direction I want to go with races.

Without further ado, the actual rules (all documents have bookmarks):
Basic stuff. Also includes OGL blurb.
Combat rules.
Equipment rules.

Something about magic rules: these are actually not playtested and the numbers probably require tweaking. Everything from spell, augmentation DC's to aptitude bonuses.
Magic rules. Includes a short chapter on divine casting (which is real easy; arcane magic is more complicated).
The actual arcane spell effects.
The divine spheres.
And the three arcane casting classes, and the two divine casting classes:
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Sorcerer...

Good Golly JrK!!...and I haven't even opened them yet!

You don't screw around do you.

What do you mean? :P

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Homebrew and House Rules / By request: some of my houserules All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Homebrew and House Rules