That's NO WAY for a PC to die.

Gamer Life General Discussion

1 to 50 of 277 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

7 people marked this as a favorite.

ED: That's no way for a man to die.

FRANK: No ... you're right, Ed. A parachute not opening ... that's a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine... having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go!

OK we all have had characters who have died, some of us more then others... lol So I would like to hear the Craziest or most Heroic way, how many you had die (in one campaign or in total) or any story you care to tell whether it be funny or just plain sad...

Me... I call the binder (not folder... Binder) I hold my dead characters in the Dead Pool. Hey saves time when you need an NPC for something real quick.

Best Death

:
Well I have died alot but most were not very Heroic. I say my 4th level Paladin (I have a hard time keeping paladins alive) who stood in the door way when the group got in over their heads. He fought defensively to buy the group time to get away. Hey at least later when they came back and defeated the BBEG, they didn't loot my body... probably only PC I had die that got buried with his stuff...lol

Killer DM

:
My friend and DM Bob, over the last 7 years he has killed 26 of my PC's (and we rotate through 4 DM's in my group). Max PC's killed in one of his games was the Pathfinder AP Kingmaker... I went through 6 PC's.lol Same DM Carrion Crown AP and I went through 4 Bards:
1. Micky Dolenz
2. Michael Nesmith
3. Peter Tork
4. Davy Jones
Yes he killed the entire band of The Monkeys. Stupid swinging bridge over the waterfall... grrrr

Funniest Death

:
My LN Warblade / Kensai bodyguard to a new king. Fighting an evil Cleric, his cohorts and summoned monsters (we were level 9) in a small tower. The King was unconscious and I was 5'ing back pulling his body with me while fighting towards the door that led to the staircase out of the tower. The monk of the group was down and I sent the CN Rogue ahead to secure the door until I got their. The Rogue ended up being attacked and in typical Rogue fashion... Gave me the Sorry?? look and slipped through the door locking it behind him, leaving me in the tower with all the badies... ROFL. I couldn't fault him for it as it was GREAT RP fun and we talked about it for months.

Swallowed whole by a white dragon who flew off with me decided the best thing to do was to start reading my entire collection of Explosive Runes flyers about 20 i lived until the dragon fell into the ocean and i couldnt get out before drowning.

Also had a monk who was tossed into a Sigil of Death because the party barbarian thought i was immune to death effects.

2 people marked this as a favorite.

The most epic death of a character I've had was entirely due to the GM not understanding how the spell "Darkness" and the feat "blindsight" worked.

This was even a one-shot campaign with low level characters we rolled up just for the single-shot one-day session. My character was "Gil", a gnome rogue. (3.5 rules.) The campaign was to go into a deep, dark cavern and find and destroy an orc shaman who was terrorizing a local village.

Early in the day we entered a storage room full of foodstuffs and were caught in a trap between crossbow wielding goblins behind barrels in the room, and crossbow firing goblins behind tables outside the door. The party dove for cover among the shelves as the goblins fired volleys at the party members who were now behind cover. Gil had ducked behind some sacks and rolled very high on his "hide" check, and as such was unnoticed by both crossbow firing goblin groups, just a few squares from the barrels the goblins were hiding behind. Just after the nearest goblin fired his crossbow, Gil leapt over the barrel, did a tumble check, yelled for the party to charge the goblins and landed behind the startled goblin which he critted and killed with one hit.

The other four goblins decided to have one goblin fight Gil while the rest continued to pin down the party. So Gil dodged the goblin attack, and then full attacked and killed that goblin too. In the end Gil killed every goblin behind the barrels single-handedly, allowing the party to charge the other goblins outside the room. After that encounter, the group began calling him "Gil, the wonder gnome".

There were two other similar episodes where Gil single-handedly performed awesome heroic acts. But then we got to the big final boss fight against the orc shaman.

The GM played "darkness" as if it were total and complete darkness, essentially blinding the party. He played "blindsight" as if it were complete disregard for blindness. So the shaman had complete visual function while the party was totally blind within the darkness spell. Gil shouted for the party to run and regroup to come back after the darkness had expired, but they fought on, dying one by one in the darkness. Gil climbed to the top of a large stalagmite and did his best to pepper the shaman with his bow, but between darkness and fear of hitting his comrades, he only got a couple of arrows into the shaman. Finally the darkness spell expired just as the shaman and the final party member squared off. As the shaman dispatched that party member, Gil got two arrows into him. Then the shaman came after Gil. Two or three arrows later, the shaman had climbed to the top of the stalagmite and Gil took a brutal cut. Knowing he couldn't go toe-to-toe with the orc, Gil tumbled off of the stalagmite and dashed far enough away to set up another bow shot. He could have run at that time, but the party was bleeding out and he felt he could take down the orc shaman who was in a bad way by that time with at least six of Gil's arrows sticking out of him.

So he stood his ground and shot arrows at the charging orc shaman, but only hit once. The shaman caught him and dispatched him, resulting in a TPK.

The GM revealed then that the shaman had a single hit point left.

As much as it irritated me that the GM misplayed the rules, that was the most epic fight ever for a character of mine to die.

Silver Crusade

A friend was running a bunch of 3.5 modules (Sunless citadel and whatnot). But he thought the adventures were very lame and weak, so he 'tweaked' all of the monsters and NPCs in them. I had a sorcerer for this series who went down quite often (though I think she only died twice). We ended up not using the level loss rule with Raise Dead. He had just watched Excel Saga around this time and referred to my character as 'Hyatt' who.

Spoiler:
Nearly dies (or does) quite often in the series

Well, one particular battle, my character was dropped into the negatives. I had kinda had it with this particular adventure and decided to make a new character while the fight was going on. So I made what I figured would be a much more survivable character. Dwarven fighter with a shield and dwarven waraxe. I had kinda been working on it anyway and simply finished it.

Well took that character into the same fight my sorceror had just went down in. Charged the baddie. Baddie turned to face me and critted me twice with a greataxe. My dwarf was dead in one round of combat. The sorcerer had actually managed to stabilize at -9 so I picked her back up to continue the campaign with.

We still joke about 2 characters in one fight.

Silver Crusade

Adamantine Dragon wrote:

The most epic death of a character I've had was entirely due to the GM not understanding how the spell "Darkness" and the feat "blindsight" worked.

Don't know about the 'Darkness' mistake (maybe the GM meant that the Shaman had cast 'Deeper Darkness', which-- if the light had been dim to begin with, would have been total). Also, I don't know of any "feat" called "blindsight"-- Now, "Blindfighting" doesn't work that well. However, if the Shaman had the special ability (not a feat) "Blindsight"-- then yes, it effectively does let the Shaman completely disregard blindness, out to the range of his 'blindsight' ability.

Not saying your GM didn't screw up-- but the combo of 'Deeper Darkness' from dim light to begin with, and the Shaman having the blindsight ability, would have hosed your entire party in exactly the way described.

5 people marked this as a favorite.

The dumbest death I ever had was when I played a Tiefling Paladin of Shelyn in the Worldwound. Iomedan burners demanded the party turn her over to be executed for her evil blood, and the party did so in exchange for payment, and I was burned at the stake with no chance of escape or survival.

Best Death: I used a certain devil's overwhelming pride to call him out into a duel... he may have killed me for it, but my party then knew which noble of the court he had disguised himself as and could deal with him.

It's not much, but it's the only time I died for the party.

Killer DM: My buddy decided he want to run a campaign... he said he expected it to go for 30 levels or so... we stopped at 15th with the following death stats after about 6 months of play:

Me - 7 dead characters, all due to me trying to be helpful in combat with spells... which translated into being the DM's favorite target, and was deadly because the rest of the party just wouldn't help out.

Player 2 - 6 dead characters, 3 of which were all in the same session.
Player 3 - 4 dead characters, 3 of which died in their respective first encounters, driving the player back to the original character he was playing and had decided he wanted to try other stuff instead of.
Player 4 - 3 dead characters.
Player 5 - 2 dead characters.
Player 6 - 1 dead character 2 sessions after joining the campaign... and he quit playing - smart guy, this one.

Total: 23 dead characters in 23 sessions of play.

Funniest Death: They are all in the realm of "you had to be there," and can't really have their humor shared in words... but one revolves around the players' insistence that we use the 3 natural 20s in a row kills anything rule... which lead to the Fighter being stabbed to death in one fell swoop by the Gnome Factotum thanks to a bit of magical emotion manipulation and a failed save.

Finn K wrote:
Adamantine Dragon wrote:

Don't know about the 'Darkness' mistake (maybe the GM meant that the Shaman had cast 'Deeper Darkness', which-- if the light had been dim to begin with, would have been total). Also, I don't know of any "feat" called "blindsight"-- Now, "Blindfighting" doesn't work that well. However, if the Shaman had the special ability (not a feat) "Blindsight"-- then yes, it effectively does let the Shaman completely disregard blindness, out to the range of his 'blindsight' ability.

Not saying your GM didn't screw up-- but the combo of 'Deeper Darkness' from dim light to begin with, and the Shaman having the blindsight ability, would have hosed your entire party in exactly the way described.

It was just "darkness" and "blindfighting." we saw the module afterwards.

Pathfinder Adventure, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Kelsey MacAilbert wrote:
The dumbest death I ever had was when I played a Tiefling Paladin of Shelyn in the Worldwound. Iomedan burners demanded the party turn her over to be executed for her evil blood, and the party did so in exchange for payment, and I was burned at the stake with no chance of escape or survival.

That kinda bites....

My favourite death was in Dead Gods.

I was a Celestial Sorcerer (Coure Eladrin) and failing two will saves at the close of the adventure I ended up extinguishing myself utterly but doing so spectacularly that the rest of the party could only watch as I slipped past magical defences and ....boom. Much back-slapping was had as we realised it so easily could have been a TPK.

Best. Death. EVER (totally heroic)

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Kelsey MacAilbert wrote:

So my question is this: Did you, following that BS death, make a replacement Tiefling Assassin (the Paladin's sister perhaps?) and start systematically offing the party one by one?

Because had that happened to me, i'd do everything in my power to ruin their lives........

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ruzil Croses: Hey you, random guy -- drink from that pool of magical water.

Random Guy: But I don't want to.

Ruzil Croses: Do it or I let the gnome try out his latest experiment on you.

Alchemist Gnome: Cackles

Random Guy: Alright, alright I'll do it. I go to drink out of the magical fountain.

GM: A water elemental pulls you in, roll a fortitude save to hold your breath going in.

End of fight Random Guy drowns after going unconscious at the bottom of the pool -- so ends his life as a dwarf (but this wasn't his last death).

Kelsey MacAilbert wrote:

I would have started smiting the party. Surely they had to be evil.

Yeah no paladin would go down without a fight and by chosen God someone or something is going with me.

As a 3.5 note was running Return to the Temple of Elemntal Evil and got to the alter under the Gatehouse party had no clue what they were doing when they activated made their wish and watched in horror as the cleric was dragged by tentecals into the alter and the paladin's shiny new holy avenger was laid at his feet. Also the only time I've ever seen a paladin turn down a holy avenger.

Probably
my sadest death was jumping at a hydra, I was a fighter and It swallowed me. It was my first character and I had no tactics.

I was playing 3.5, and we were being chased by assassins. We come to a small town, and I think we are safe. I step outside. I don't remember why, and I get stabbed. We roll init, and I roll low. I am flanked by two rogues. The GM rolls really high for all those D6's. I get to make a new character.

ran though tomb of horrors once. it was messy.

Had a ranger back in Forgotten Realms who died holding his ground and firing arrows at a charging antipaladin. I was buying time for the rest of the party to escape, and got mowed down for it.

I had a "troubleshooter" rogue who liked to jump on the backs of enemies to fight them. Did that to a giant and got spiked head-first into a rock. A critical hit on the attack, and I was a dead doggie.

off-topic:What is KtSP?

Kill the Stupid People. It's a holdover from forever ago. I'm thinking about changing it.

That is what I was thinking(jokingly to myself). It is funny that my joke was the actual name.

7 people marked this as a favorite.

Best Death:

My group was fighting a losing battle after unwisely engaging a large number of trolls. We had them bottled in a stairway to prevent them from overwhelming us, but I knew we would lose.

The dwarf fighter was in front taking a beating. My character, a mounted paladin (yes, a horse on stairs) was behind him. Sensing the dwarf would soon fall, I asked if there was any way to move to the front line.

No, the GM says, unless you can somehow fly over there. So, I announce that my character will have his mount leap over the dwarfs head, into the throng of angry trolls.

Jaws drop, the GM says, are you sure? It's suicide. Yep, I say, maybe the dice will work in my favor this time. (the dice never had before)

It was a glorious death.

A friend of mine tagged along on a quest as an npc whose sister had been abducted and used in some evil ritual and she ended up being killed, with him finding her body. Came to the end of the quest, and he thought it would be good role playing to say that his guy, the npc, would be stricken with grief and would have to make a will save to avoid committing suicide down a 60 foot shaft he was standing over. He manages to roll well and pass the will save, essentially regaining his will to live. The only way to get down was to climb down a rope and pass the climb checks. He rolled a one and plummeted to his death. Poor guy managed to survive all that and even depression to just fall down a hole.

Liberty's Edge

My funniest death would have to be with a paladin that I had. The party was fighting a black dragon who, when almost killed, decided that he was going to take off and fly away. Just before he could, I jumped on his back and ended up grabbing his tail.

Long story short I killed him after we'd been flying for about 7-9 turns. When I dealt the final blow he fell to the ground... and I along with him, lol. My party was able to bring me back to life but still.

Most memorable:

Playing a Legend of the Five Rings game at a Con at about 4am. I was playing a Crane (the pretty, honorable aristocrat clan). We swore on our lives to this person that we would discover who was the cause of all these murders and stop them. Well it turned out that the person we swore the oath to was the one doing it and was an evil blood magic user (maho magic). We discovered who it was but after the shugenja dropped the burning building we had trapped her into an earthquake sinkhole his bodyguard came running out at the last minute yelling that the evil woman was still alive before falling dead. Dawn came over the horizon and I committed sepuku because an oath to a maho user is still an oath. I used the Scorpion (the conniving rogueish assassin clan) as my second as an apology because I had been giving her crap the whole time cause I thought she was involved in the whole bloody mess and turns out she was innocent.

Most Sad:

A 3.5 game where I was a lvl 2 Paladin. Jumped down a 20 ft whole to attack the baddie. Went prone and got dropped below 0hp. The Ranger archer then critical failed on her roll and put an arrow to the back of my neck. Dead Paladin.

Random Death:

(3.5) Was about to kill the BBEG who was hiding behind this wall of dead souls. I was playing a monk (about lvl 10 at this point) who due to story reasons had a admantine right arm crafted by Garl Glittergold after losing it to save a cleric. Having the best saves in the party and a god crafted arm I decide I am the best choice to try to reach the obvious death wall. Instant Death. The fighter then had a magical box he had been carrying for about 6 months open up and the spear of destiny was inside. He then proceeded to throw it thru the death wall and killing the BBEG on a double natural 20.

Silver Crusade

Kelsey MacAilbert wrote:

So what did you do to piss your own party off that much? Or were they just evil and doing it for the lulz, or bringing in RL player disputes into the game?

If I had a party do that to me (unless there was a damn good reason, and other in-game stuff prompting it), I'd probably quit gaming with those people.

Silver Crusade

Adamantine Dragon wrote:

Amazing how the GM can suddenly misread abilities and amp up a challenge from what it's meant to be when he (or she) is just itchin' to get in a good TPK... ;)

ObligatoryHuman wrote:
Kelsey MacAilbert wrote:

So my question is this: Did you, following that BS death, make a replacement Tiefling Assassin (the Paladin's sister perhaps?) and start systematically offing the party one by one?

Because had that happened to me, i'd do everything in my power to ruin their lives........

No, I didn't do anything like that. I ended up leaving the group a couple days later after a massive argument, because we didn't really like each other, and were using the game as an excuse to be asshats.

Finn K wrote:
Kelsey MacAilbert wrote:
So what did you do to piss your own party off that much? Or were they just evil and doing it for the lulz, or bringing in RL player disputes into the game?

A combination of all three. I was being a bit hard when it came to expecting them to act like the good alignments they possessed and we just plain didn't like each other at all. This wasn't the first time something like this happened. It wasn't even the worst incident. It's just the most b&#&+%#* party death.

Finn K wrote:
Adamantine Dragon wrote:

Amazing how the GM can suddenly misread abilities and amp up a challenge from what it's meant to be when he (or she) is just itchin' to get in a good TPK... ;)

I think he truly didn't understand the rules. He wasn't a rules lawyer and wasn't known for researching things deeply.

At the end of the session when one of my regular players and I were discussing how the boss fight seemed to have been too difficult for our party, the GM kept saying "Yeah, you ALMOST beat him!"

That led to us questioning exactly what spell had been cast, and how the orc shaman had been able to see clearly when we were all blind. We were looking up darkness spells and other abilities and the GM finally just threw up his hands and tossed the module he had been using on the table and said "It's all right there!" My buddy picked it up, looked at it briefly and said "um.... dude... that's not how darkness and blindfighting works..."

Oh well, it's better this way. Gil the Wonder Gnome is without a doubt the single most awesome character I've ever played from rollup to death, even if it was just one session. I've never rolled that well before or since, and in that session I was so hot that I'd have broken the bank of Vegas. Now I'll never have the opportunity to have a bad session with Gil, all his sessions will be forever awesome. I sort of like it that way. It's too bad there was no survivor to tell his tale to a bard or something....

Worst Death: My Champion of Death (anti-paladin) stuck her torch (and hand and arm) into the dark mouth at the end of the hall in the Tomb of Horrors to see what was inside...

Best Death: 4e one shot game Zombie Apocalypse. The GM just didn't tell us that was what was happening ahead of time. Instead we played out the events of that day as if it were a simple role play as usual... But that night the dead came to life!!! I was playing a young warlock and in character I was in the middle of the graveyard away from prying eyes performing a dark rite in the buff involving blood and candles... Ok it was just pig's blood (her father was a butcher) but where was a first level admirer of the dark going to get real human blood without drawing suspicion. So yeah, my poor warlock suddenly had the dead rising from the graves around her. After much screaming and running and blasting she managed to make it out of the graveyard covered in pig's blood grasping a sacrificial dagger and a candle and wearing not a thing. She met up with other friends in town (one of whom loaned me his cloak). And in perfect hysteria my character attempted to warn everyone about the walking dead. After numerous encounters in which her friends were picked off one by one she fended off flaming undead zombies (ask the wizard why he thought it would be a good idea to set them on fire with lamp oil), zombified townsfolk, and the zombie of the pig her father had started butchering that day... the one who 'donated' the blood for my rite earlier. I had almost met my untimely end moments before in a dark alley at the hands of an undead policeman only to be saved by the fortunate arrival of one of the town drunks (a rogue played by another player) who managed to off the monster when I was at my last hit point. Unfortunately fate caught up with her in the town plaza and her last moments alive were spent pounding on the church doors begging for salvation from those who barricaded themselves inside as zombies closed in around her from all sides.

Liberty's Edge

5 people marked this as a favorite.

As a DM, and considering the player in question doesn't post on this message board, I feel obligated to mention this death.

Playing Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth adapted to Pathfinder, the PC was playing a gnome rogue. They got lost on the road south and ran into a random encounter, a pack of dire wolves. The wolves encircled the party and closed in on them, with two of them going after the pack mules.

One of the wolves killed one of the mules and was close to the party's wizard. The gnome decided to try to protect the wizard and moved to attack the wolf, but forgot to tumble or in any way protect himself from the wolf's AoO.

The wolf bit him and rolled a natural 20. Rolled to confirm, and rolled a natural 20 again. Rolled a third time and again rolled a natural 20. By a house rule we had never actually used before, that was a one-hit-kill.

The wolf fled the battle carrying a trophy gnome head. In our current game, there are stories being told about a wolf with unparalleled intelligence and wile, leading a pack using complex tactics never seen before in wolves.

Yes, I've given that dire wolf class levels.

Zahariel wrote:

Yes, I've given that dire wolf class levels.

Ahhahahah!

this is something of a repeat, as i have told this story on the boards before, but i was once DM to a 4th edition game where a Pit Trap got a TPK.
there were four players. about halfway through the dungeon they decided to split into two groups of two. first mistake.
so one group walks blindly into an ambush and gets anhiolated, while the others check out a dead-end corridor. at the end of the corridor is a secret door and a pit trap...
so they spot the trap, and work out that there must be something worth protecting on the other side. just for the lulz one of them pushes the other into the pit trap with a shove in the back. this is when they find out there are spikes at the bottom. so the player up top throws the guy he just pushed a rope. guy 2 gives it a yank and intentionally pulls guy 1 into the pit trap, then tries to climb out. he makes it to the lip when guy 1 lassos him with the rope and pulls him down, which puts 2 into the negative. 1 climbs out on the other side, finds and opens secret door, sees room full of bad guys and... wait for it... you guessed it... he jumps back into the pit.
so a known and avoidable trap killed every party member who came into contact with it, even though it had no form of reset mechanism. that evening heralded the first pit trap ever to achive sentience and gain class levels. his name is spike.

Grand Lodge

The worst death was a friend of mine, he was playing a Hackmaster Samurai, named Shikko. Poor Shikko had survived capture the loss of his ancestral diasho, as well as slavery before he got into the dungeon, once in there he lost on inch of his man hood, and right after , do to party urging was volunteered to go across magically to establish a crude rope swing/bridge to cross this sewage river, unfortunately the area across from us housed bugbears. this bugbears were altered to our prescense when the dwarf Fighter, and my gnomeling ( gnome/halfling) thief got into an arguement over what would be more efficent. as well as our alcoholic cleric and wizard laughed at us and complained about the stench. These bugbears began throwing spells and javelins, we snapped into action with ranged weapons and spells, allowing Shikko to get bask to us, he slipped at the end but caught himself. As the dwarf and I were trying to pull him up a bugbear crited him, we consulted the critical hit tables and the rolls spelt disaster for Shikko as he took the javelin into the back of his head, instant death. To add insult to injury he fell from our grasp and into the river of poo below making us unable to recover the body and fleeing for our lives ( as the highest level member of our party just died, as well as our primary meat shield)

All in all the party both in character and out mourned him as he truely was the optime of a warrior, It was the frist time any party I had every played with got morose over a PC death. What makes this worse is the DM had set up a mission for us to bring him back only to have said DM himself pass away from heart problems

Critzible wrote:
The worst death was a friend of mine, he was playing a Hackmaster...

I didn't think anybody had ever actually played Hackmaster.

My most epic character death was a Faerun game a while back, with my rogue.

I was a Rogue/Swashbuckler/Avenger, started with petty thieving, repented to a Cleric of Lathander, afterwards I played him as an impulsive do-gooder, who turned to foolish and daring if you threatened the well-being of his friends and interests. His motto was 'The only way is all the way." And he got in so much Hyjinx trying to make sure the party and town were protected from threats and spies I'm surprised my character lasted to the end of the campaign.

The term Justice-Ninja was used synominously with my character...

It was the BBEG battle, and his army of orcs marching on our beloved town.

The party had just re-grouped from each dealing with their own threats in the war. (Mine was usurping the enemies spy network, draft them into the war and send them to fight their own armies... getting themselves massacred in the process. It was a high-magic campaign, and I had a mindbender cohort.)

Anyways, We were on a bridge watching the BBEG (a super-wizard with an artifact that gave him infinite spell slots...) and our party wizard was counterspelling him a lot and was running out of juice.

Needless to say we were boned once our wizard ran out of spell slots.

The DM mentioned that we had to destroy the artifact to really have a chance (It was a visible medallion), However outright destroying it would cause a catasrophic explosion.

I had some abilities to Dimension door, and a cloak of the mountebank. Which also D-doored. Both abilities could carry more than just me...

I did some math with my Warblade partner, figured out that I could bring him with me if I teleported right to the BBEG. He dropped some gear and readied an action ;)

We looked at each other, nodded, and I bamfed us towards the wizard.

My Warblade friend managed to sunder the artifact, and the resulting explosion damaged my partner, and I somehow was unscathed (YAY improved Evasion!) Only problem was we were now some undisclosed distance away from the ground.

That was when my DM mentioned I couldn't use any magic... I was like "wha!?" as I was crossing out the spellslot for Featherfall.

apparently I was supercharged from the artifact, and using my magic would cause another mini-explosion.(An avenger is a good-aligned Assassin...)

The Warblade hit the ground, made his massive damage check.

I rolled a 1. The only number I could roll to fail a DC15 fort save.

Seeing it, I tell my DM that I wanna go out with a bang....

I use some acrobatics checks to move myself while falling, and go above the river that ran through the town we were defending, which was being frozen over by the BBEG and allowing another attack vector into our town. (One we hadn't considered. It was a loose end we didn't know how to deal with. Our resources had been taxed to the extreme.)

I use my 2 or 3 actions I had to move over the Ice, and start to nova my magical powers. I timed it to when I hit the Ice.

The DM was lenient, and when I mentioned, I want to hit the ice so hard, and with the explosion, I want to break up the ice. He let me charge into the Ice in my own personal Dragonball death sequence.

This resulted in a whole legion of orcs to fall into the waters. Most of them drowned, the ones that made it were easy pickings for our archers...

A few days passed and my character was regarded as a hero by the town. Atmos the Saint!

I then had a conversation with Lathander and my Fey Grandma(Heritage feats...), Lathander was impressed with me, and asked how far I'd go to protect what you love? (a running theme for my character was the "To hell and back" meme-thing) I said I would go to the furthest depths of hell to save them.

Lathander smiles, next thing I know, I'm walking out of a beam of light from the heavens smack dab in town square...naked.

Atmos the Saint has been ressurected by Lathander himself... With the Saint template. :)

And, as luck would have it. Our groups reincarnated Hell-reaver paladin's soul was being contested by the courts in the nine-hells(this is a whole other story Arc.).

One way tickets were offered as a safe passage... The way out was to be left to us...

I let out a heavy sigh that session lol.

Party defeated a monster that we were told to hunt down. after killing the monster and receiving rewards the party rested for the night.

My GM said roll a fort save against DC 67. (my 6th level ranger failed of course) GM said. "your dead. sorry dude your pet coup-de-graced you in your sleep."

why?:
turns out the monster we killed was some kind of variant vampire that possesses animals. despite my character taking precautions (which by rules should have protected my pet from possession) The GM decided that it would be funny if my own pet killed me. basically my ranger managed to avoid most of the in game traps and focused attacks against me so he thought that would be a funny way to kill me.

6 people marked this as a favorite.

That guy sounds like a jerk.

Dark Archive

Talonhawke wrote:
As a 3.5 note was running Return to the Temple of Elemntal Evil and got to the alter under the Gatehouse party had no clue what they were doing when they activated made their wish and watched in horror as the cleric was dragged by tentecals into the alter and the paladin's shiny new holy avenger was laid at his feet. Also the only time I've ever seen a paladin turn down a holy avenger.

I played the Return to Temple of Elemental Evil... and ended up dead a few times.

I noticed a few people mentioned Tomb of Horrors - I always heard that was a TPK module but have never had a chance to play it. Has it been updated to PF by anyone? was it 3.0 or 3.5 rule system?

These are some great stories guys and the evil DM in me has gotten some great ideas... muahh ahh ahhh

blue_the_wolf wrote:

Party defeated a monster that we were told to hunt down. after killing the monster and receiving rewards the party rested for the night.

My GM said roll a fort save against DC 67. (my 6th level ranger failed of course) GM said. "your dead. sorry dude your pet coup-de-graced you in your sleep."

** spoiler omitted **

that sounds like the kind of DM i'd walk out on. you took the precautions, but he decides to put you in a no-win situation anyway. why was he targeting you like that anyway?

oh, just remembered another one.
our first level party was fighting a couple of minotars, and my wizard and our ranger were up in a tree. i was out of spells (i was first level. don't judge me.) and it was dark. we were getting creamed. so i cast light on the ranger's arrow and he shoots one of the minotars. the minotar throws his greataxe, crits, crits again, cuts through the tree trunk and my wizard who was on the other side of it. apparently he'd decided to target the out-of-spells wizard as priority, but what the hey. anyway, that hit was enough to kill me outright.

WhipShire wrote:
Talonhawke wrote:

I played the Return to Temple of Elemental Evil... and ended up dead a few times.

I noticed a few people mentioned Tomb of Horrors - I always heard that was a TPK module but have never had a chance to play it. Has it been updated to PF by anyone? was it 3.0 or 3.5 rule system?

These are some great stories guys and the evil DM in me has gotten some great ideas... muahh ahh ahhh

It has been updated to 3.5 by WoTC. They had it as a free download on their website. It is not as dangerous as the 2nd edition version, but it is still trap-heavy.

Dark Archive

wraithstrike wrote:
WhipShire wrote:
Talonhawke wrote:

It has been updated to 3.5 by WoTC. They had it as a free download on their website. It is not as dangerous as the 2nd edition version, but it is still trap-heavy.

Sweet I will have to check it out. Thanks.

Link to ToH

Silver Crusade

blue_the_wolf wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

What FuelDrop said. Seconded.

One GM I wouldn't continue gaming with.

My only death was a good lesson in how death spells do, in fact, kill people from time to time (and also in how a GM can creatively re-remember judgements made in the past, to a player's benefit).

The group I played with was never much on PC death. It rarely came up, usually by some freak accidents of dice (dual wielding rogue crits with both weapons and rolls max damage kinds of things).

I was playing a druid/nature's warrior/warshaper/master of many shapes around level 14 (3.5 was fun when you had enough Complete XYZ books). I was running around as a dire grizzly all day, every day. We were running around Limbo doing who knows what when we came across a group of Slaads. So we go in, start killing them, and then we learn that Death Slaads look just like another type of Slaad but have an interesting ability.

The GM picks me to do his little save-or-die ability because, as a 13 foot tall dire bear, my Fort save is a +17. I roll a 1 (considered an automatic failure for us), of course, and the GM was like "oh, crap, you weren't supposed to die! Don't you have some spell that can let you reroll a save". I respond "well, yes, but you said I can't cast spells in Wild Shape until I get this other feat". He then conveniently misremembers his previous judgement and I get to reroll my save at the cost of 200xp (fun spell, don't remember what it is called, but it costs xp to let you redo a save).

My worst death outside of a horrible GM was to get hit by a disintegrate, fail the save throw, live through the damage and then drop to the massive damage save with a 1 on the dice (yes a 2 would have made it).

Liberty's Edge

4 people marked this as a favorite.

I was running the AD&D module "Under Illefarn" for some friends back in college. A couple in the group (the boyfriend played a paladin, the girlfriend a barbarian) were both knocked out while the group was having a running battle with orcs. The party didn't have the resources or time to get them up (they weren't bleeding out, just unconscious) so they stuffed them in a secret room they had found but hadn't explored, while they left and continued their fight with the orcs.

The barbarian came to while the rest of the party was still away and managed to get a torch lit. She was getting her bearings, when she noticed a shelf on the back wall of the room with an assortment of jewelry. She immediately leapt up "ooh, shiny" and grabbed one of the necklaces - triggering the falling stone block trap that fell on top of her boyfriend's unconscious paladin and blocked the exit.

The rest of the party eventually came back for her and was able to get her out of the room, but alas, nothing was to be done for the paladin. Once the rest of the dungeon had been cleared and the dwarves were able to move in to reclaim it, the party arranged for a plaque to be mounted on the wall where the secret room had been located.

Here lies Thryn, Paladin of Tyr
He got thin, so we buried him here

Party leaving cavern after killing the lich.
My tank in the lead.
Just prior to the exit, GM has us all roll a perception check.
My tank rolled a total of 7 and everyone else was in the high 20's.

All of you except Morrolan hear the sound of something large flapping and see a large winged shadow on the ground outside the cave.

First player says I stop, crouch down and try to hide and be as quiet as possible. Every other player says me too. They are all behind me.

So I walk out into the open and get ambushed by the huge black dragon all by myself.

Not one single player was willing to whisper "Hey Hob stop."

I was a bit miffed with the rest of them...

1 to 50 of 277 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / General Discussion / That's NO WAY for a PC to die. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.