Interest- Vampire: the Masquerade

Recruitment

Given that the 20th anniversary of the V:tM books are out and rekindling interest in the previous version of the game, I'm looking to see if there are a few people interested in making characters and playing a pbp. Full disclosure: I've never run Vampire before in real life or online. I've had the revised edition from 1998 and the previous edition in high school and read through them a few times, but never gotten together a group with me as Storyteller. I am currently running two Play by Post games on the boards- one Pathfinder, one Call of Cthulhu, so I am familiar with online games at least. Both have been running for about a year, though not without the odd bit of downtime. All I'm saying is that it may be a bumpy ride if we end up rolling along with the idea- not to discourage anyone, but to make sure we know there will of course be some hiccups here and there.

Okay, now, sink your fangs into the juicy bit:
Concept- New York City is new territory for Camarilla kindred. While there's always been a presence in the city, the sect has only recently gained supremacy and this presents a unique opportunity for young kindred. Through modern technology, the elders can tap New York's resources without having to claim territory in the city itself- the Big Apple remains open and largely free of the stifling control the higher echelons of the sect exert on those beneath them and what elders are making homes in the city aren't as entrenched as they are elsewhere. Your coterie of neonate Licks seek to take advantage of the freedom New York offers: carving out hunting grounds and alliances, fending off rivals and solidifying positions of power and influence- or shoving other kindred (that owe you favors) into them so you can be left to your own devices.

Politics will be important, but I am hoping to appeal to a good range of character types and events of interest- combat, social and investigation. I don't have a start date in mind yet, right now I want to see if there's enough interest for me to start putting a chronicle together. 3-5 is the ideal number of players willing to make the commitment. Thanks!

Shadow Lodge

I WANT IN. . .

Email:
Darthbeckett@Gmail dot com

Awesome. Just need a couple more people and we can talk about characters and building the chronicle.

Shadow Lodge

Cool beans.

I'm interested. I've wanted to play V:tM since 1998 but never had the chance.

I don't have the 20th anniversary book, if that's an issue. I do have a somewhat embarrassing amount of Revised edition stuff for a game I never played, core book included.

Shadow Lodge

I've never got to play, either. I've always ran it.

I'm interested, but am leaving on business tomorrow and won't really have time to put together a character until Thursday. Always been a fan of House and Clan Tremere. Failing that, the Nosferatu are fun too.

Shadow Lodge

That's a couple more people. . . :)

Talomyr wrote:
I'm interested, but am leaving on business tomorrow and won't really have time to put together a character until Thursday. Always been a fan of House and Clan Tremere. Failing that, the Nosferatu are fun too.

That's totally fine- I'm not in a rush.

Samnell, I'm more familiar with the Revised stuff myself- only just got the 20th anniversary edition through print on demand. Still need to see if anything was changed or if it's just everything that was printed for it.

I have the Grand Masquerade Antediluvian super deluxe ultra special special edition of v20 :).

I haven't flipped through it much, but for the most part, it remains unchanged from Revised.

I also so want in!! I have an extensive collection of books for VtM, as well as a near encyclopedic knowledge of the setting, system and more.

Shadow Lodge

Actually, there are some pretty signioficant changes. V20 is much closer to VtM 2nd Ed, (not revised) than Revised, I think.

Some notable chages are:

Splitting actions has changes so that you literally just divide a dice pool and allocae dice for other actions, rather than reducing dice pools.

Potence and Celerity have changed so that they now grant extrad ice to Str or Dex rolls if NOT activated. Activated, they grant automatice successes, but are both costly, (which kind of screws the Bruajh).

Gangrel have a sort of wishy-washy Clan Flaw.

Tremere Flaw changed subtly.

A few new skills exist, as well as transplanting a few rules from other game lines.

Shadow Lodge

Also, I was hoping for a Gangrel mystic, a Salubri outcast/Anarch, or a Malkavian/Thin-blooded prophet type. :)

I said mostly unchanged. I knew of those(benefits of being in the panels at the GM event), and there is a lot of "new" stuff.

The biggest change is to freeze the game into a certain point, which is roughly right before Revised.

As for characters, I have a few in mind, but i'll building something depending on the kind of game we're playing.

James Keegan wrote:

Samnell, I'm more familiar with the Revised stuff myself- only just got the 20th anniversary edition through print on demand. Still need to see if anything was changed or if it's just everything that was printed for it.

Ok. I might be able to prevail on a friend to help me out with V20 if it's necessary.

Not sure what type of vamp I'd be interested in. I tend to be a fan of the last clanbook I've read. :)

Okay, we've got enough interest to start putting the pieces together. I've made a discussion thread here. I've still got a slot open and sent one of my players from my other games a message to see if he's still interested. For right now, we've got Beckett, Samnell, Talomyr and Monkeygod.

Shadow Lodge

Cool beans. . .

Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Hey James, I'm totally in if there is still room!

Sweet that brings us up to five! Take a look at the discussion thread and let me know what you'd like to do.

Shadow Lodge

Discussion Thread is here

I am also interested if you have room for a sixth Kindred.

Dark Archive

Make that a 7th if there is still room. I've been reading your thread and it fills me with so many character ideas I'm just aching to get home and look over my old books (and read up on the changes).

Thanks for the interest: I think for now I'm going to cap it at five players since this is the first time I'm diving into the system and setting for more than a casual look. Please do follow along, though- either as alternates or as characters to introduce later on once I get a sense of how things are unfolding.

Not a problem. Have fun!

I am sorta interested, however I have never tried an online text game before. I also don't know much about V20, but I do know that I don't like the new version of how the instinctual Disciplines work (Celerity, Fortitude, Potence), imho they have become MORE powerful, not less. I have encyclopedic & knowledge possession of every Vampire book ever published, with the exception of Dust to Dust (just ordered it) and V20 (I want a hard copy, a decent one, and a friend of mine once offered to sell me his fancy version, am gonna try to get ahold of him soon).

So far, I like the Dark Ages Vampire (the 2nd edition, not the purple first) best out of all the rule sets, though I have made very minor alterations to the game rules in my house games.

It's fine if you don't accept me as a player, as I am inexperienced in V20, but I just wanted to express my interest. I have no idea how one would make dice rolls online, for starters!

Shadow Lodge

The game just sort of died out, not sure what happened, but that's (un)life. Honestly, I saw this and was really hoping it was another game. :(

Yeah, I'm sorry. Things got really busy for me and I just wasn't getting my feet in the system and the sensibility of the game world very well. Apologies to everyone.

Shadow Lodge

No worries. It happens. I just wasn't sure what was going on. It did seem like people went into a lot, and a lot more detail about their background which seemed like it was making it extrmely difficult.

Dang! if only this hadnt happened while i was asleep! i had a brujah made from forever ago when i almost played in a game. closest i ever got to playing the game hahahaha. oh well, ill throw myself on the waiting list :D

EDIT: just looked at the timestamps.... D:

Shadow Lodge

I know what you mean, this, and one other game that lasted 1 session are all I have ever gotten to play (always ran it). Maybe at some point in the future it or another will start up.

That, or Mr. Keegan, it sounds like there is a player base if you ever have a desire to return to the game.

I would certainly be interested in playing as well.

If my game ever needs another player I know where to go to recruit :-)

I might resurrect my old game, but I think if I am going to do so with a new group, I'd start over.

I am certainly interested Monkeygod!

James Keegan wrote:
Yeah, I'm sorry. Things got really busy for me and I just wasn't getting my feet in the system and the sensibility of the game world very well. Apologies to everyone.

These things happen. No hard feelings.

Monkeygood, I am most definitely interested.

Liberty's Edge

Monkeygod wrote:
I might resurrect my old game, but I think if I am going to do so with a new group, I'd start over.

Count me interested (unless I destroyed the prior game)

PM me.

If I had the current books I would be so in.

Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Recruitment / Interest- Vampire: the Masquerade All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.