Master of the Fallen Fortress

Pathfinder Society

2/5

Does this mod now give 2PP? And if yes, can they also be applied retroactively?

5/5

It gives 0 PP.

Grand Lodge 4/5 *

On a related note, in general when something like a Chronicle is revised, no retroactive changes are allowed (for example with Season 0 scenarios which used to be 1PP but are now 2).

Shadow Lodge 4/5

It's my fault PeteZero is asking.

Being new, I wasn't aware that MotFF didn't award prestige (since is wasn't mentioned in the Module, Chronicle Sheet, PFS Guide, or anywhere else I looked), and so assumed it was the standard 2. In fact, according to the most recent PFS Guide to Organized Play, all Sanctioned Modules are worth 3xp and 4PA. I just knew that couldn't be right...

Maybe now that the effects of Modules carry over, someone may change this. Or at the very least, provide official (easy to find) clarification so n00bs like me can keep their feet out of their mouths.

2/5

I hoped it changed - I ran it once, and it is good, but must admit, the 0PP really suck (just IMHO).

5/5

Modules are designed for 12-hour play, and therefore grants rewards on that scale.

MotFF and WBG are special 16-page Modules and are therefore not covered by that general rule regarding modules; they are in general played in only 3 hours. The explanation provided for MotFF is probably lacking compared to that which was given for WBG.

5/5

To be clear:
MotFF grants 1 xp and 0 Fame
WBG grants 1 xp and 1 Fame

Shadow Lodge 4/5

Diego Winterborg wrote:

To be clear:

MotFF grants 1 xp and 0 Fame
WBG grants 1 xp and 1 Fame

And that's the crux. Players are now (under the most recent rules) rewarded less for a similar length mod that puts their actual characters at risk. (It even gives less gold, but that's not really my issue.)

But with the First Steps series and other sanctioned 1st level modules available now, and replayable for credit as much as you want, why does anyone who wants to be a part of PFS even play MotFF? After all, for PFS, it can only be played with a brand new character that has never been played before and it was mainly meant as an intro to Pathfinder in general with the option to use it for PFS if you really wanted to.

The Exchange 5/5 RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

1 person marked this as FAQ candidate.
Enevhar Aldarion wrote:
But with the First Steps series and other sanctioned 1st level modules available now, and replayable for credit as much as you want, why does anyone who wants to be a part of PFS even play MotFF?

1) Because it's fun.

2) Because, unlike Tier 1-2 modules or the First Steps series, it doesn't take 12 hours. As a 3-to-4-hour adventure, it requires less commitment to serve as an intro to Pathfinder RPG, to Absalom, and to the Pathfinder Society.

3) In particular, after you've already sent characters through First Steps and Godsmoth Heresy, who would want to repeatedly play the same damn adventure to get new characters through Level 1?

It's my go-to introduction to the Society. Right now, with 0 Fame, it's also a punch in the gut, and an actual discouragement. Players with a long-term interest in PFS are better off throwing away that Chronicle sheet and starting their first Tier 1-5 scenario with 0 xp.

This summer's free RPG Day adventure, Dawn of the Scarlet Sun, looks like another terrific adventure. If it, too, has a Chronicle sheet that rewards 0 fame, it'll be equally discouraging.

I strongly encourage Mike to make sure that all Chronicle sheets, including MotFF and DotSS, offer at least 1 point of Fame.

Well, with Season 3 scenarios where you now get one Fame just for completing the main mission, I could easily see one Fame being added to MotFF to represent that same thing.

Liberty's Edge 4/5

Sorry to dredge this up again.. but where is the 'official' posting that describes how MotFF xp/pp works and who can play it?
Is it available in the Chronicle Download?
Can someone point me at the right thread?

Liberty's Edge 4/5

Nobody knows?

Grand Lodge 5/5

~A first level character who has no other chronicles which award xp or Fame/Prestige may play through this.

~It can be played/GMed for credit as many times as you want, as long as each chronicle goes to a different character with 0xp/Fame/Prestige.

~It awards 1xp, 0 Fame/Prestige, and 500(I think)gp.

~The chronicle is available for download here(near the bottom of the page).

Hope that helps!

Liberty's Edge 4/5

Thanks for your response but unfortunately I wasn't really looking for the answer (I pretty much knew those things) I'm actually looking for where the official policy statement was made. Which guide the information can be found in or which post made these rules 'law'.

These message boards are pretty difficult to search since posts don't necessarily follow chronologically .. it causes one to question where 'official rulings' become final.

I need to be able to direct people to the 'official policy' if there is a question.

Grand Lodge 4/5

Until I can update the Guide, FAQ, etc... the rule for MotFF is 1 xp, 0 PP.

Shadow Lodge 4/5 5/5 RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 8

Blackfoot wrote:
I need to be able to direct people to the 'official policy' if there is a question.
Michael Brock wrote:
Until I can update the Guide, FAQ, etc... the rule for MotFF is 1 xp, 0 PP.

What Mike posts on these forums is in an official capacity, so it is considered policy until we are told otherwise. The whole "MY WORD IS LAW!!" trope applies.

Liberty's Edge 4/5

I appreciate that... I was just sorta looking for rules that were easy to locate and understand.. especially in cases like this one where there are a number of specific rules that do not follow the norm.
(ie: Can only be played by a 0 xp character or pregen, 1xp, 0pp, can or can't the included pregens be used for PFS play...)
If there were an easy place to direct people to it would be no big deal... and then people wouldn't need to keep asking the same questions.

Liberty's Edge 4/5 5/5

Blackfoot wrote:
If there were an easy place to direct people to it would be no big deal...

This is now in the FAQ:

Quote:
all current and future sanctioned Free RPG Day modules will award 1 XP, 1 PP and the gp amount listed on the Chronicle sheet if using normal advancement

Grand Lodge 1/5

Cool at least there is a fame point for that.

Grand Lodge 4/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just thought I would update this thread with the following update from the guide to PFS organized play:

Page 29, Quote:

Free RPG Day Modules-
The 16-page, Free RPG Day modules are shorter than a normal 32-page module and are more in line with a normal Pathfinder Society Scenario. Currently, these include Master of the Fallen Fortress, We Be Goblins!, Dawn of the Scarlet Sun, and We Be Goblins Too! To bring the Free RPG Day modules more in line with the rest of Pathfinder Society Organized Play, all current and future sanctioned Free RPG Day modules will award 1 XP, 1 PP and the gp amount listed on the Chronicle sheet if using the medium advancement track.

Liberty's Edge

I understand the link between module length and awarded PA. But earning just one prestige in entry level modules means having to survive two such adventures before accessing the most traditional route to self-sufficient healing: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2lpti?Things-to-buy-with-2PA#14

Grand Lodge 4/5 **** Venture-Captain, California—Sacramento

Yeah, but most entry level modules are pretty survivable without a wand. (Or at least as far as I have seen, the things that kill you in entry level modules don't do it a little at a time. They are usually one hit kills right at the end of the module.)

for example the 6d6 in fallen fortress.

A cure light isn't likely to help a whole lot there.

Shadow Lodge 4/5

MikeyV wrote:

Just thought I would update this thread with the following update from the guide to PFS organized play:

Page 29, Quote:

Free RPG Day Modules-
The 16-page, Free RPG Day modules are shorter than a normal 32-page module and are more in line with a normal Pathfinder Society Scenario. Currently, these include Master of the Fallen Fortress, We Be Goblins!, Dawn of the Scarlet Sun, and We Be Goblins Too! To bring the Free RPG Day modules more in line with the rest of Pathfinder Society Organized Play, all current and future sanctioned Free RPG Day modules will award 1 XP, 1 PP and the gp amount listed on the Chronicle sheet if using the medium advancement track.

You mean a rule changed in the year and a half since the last post in this thread? I find that very hard to believe. Talk about a blast from the past.

Grand Lodge 3/5

A great short scenario. Glad to see Paizo keeping up with the forums.

Silver Crusade 5/5

Why isn't Master of the Fallen Fortress like some similar "RPG" day scenarios? Is it because it was the first free RPG day module?

Most Free RPG day modules offer 1 prestige and 1 XP.

Well I think Master of the Fallen Fortress should offer 1 prestige and 1 XP

Like We Be Goblins

Like Dawn of the Scarlett Sun

We Be Goblins 2

anyways just my two cents.

5/5

Myles Crocker wrote:

Why isn't Master of the Fallen Fortress like some similar "RPG" day scenarios? Is it because it was the first free RPG day module?

It is exactly like the other Free RPG day modules now. It used to be different because it was the first, yes.

Silver Crusade 5/5

Sniggevert
Thank you

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Master of the Fallen Fortress All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Society