Anyone interested in collaborating a wondrous item for fun?

RPG Superstar™ 2012 General Discussion

1 to 50 of 87 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Thought this might be fun to do to kill two weeks. I do not want to rock the boat with the competition per se. Judges is this cool? If not delete this thread...

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7, Star Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Hodge Podge

Sure it's cool. :p
Let's decide on our process first. I think that we should have 24-hour rounds as such:
1) Mundane item/wondrous use brainstorming
2) Vote on mundane item/wondrous use
3) Everyone writes final version with Name, Aura, CL, Slot, Price, Weight, Construction Requirements, and Cost
4) Vote on best finished item
5) Bicker and nitpick

If you agree, then let's have round one start now, and end at 12:00 PM EST on 1/12 (Thursday). At that point, we can compile lists of the brainstormed items and uses, and vote on them!

Let's do it as ITEM - WONDROUS USE pairs, which we'll vote on:
Guitar - Makes women fall in love with John Mayer
Eye Drops - Cures Blindness
Eye Drops - Causes unwanted bowel movements
Bomb - Explodes into flowers
Etc...

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Bracelet - allows you to detach your hand and swap it with somebody else's hand, gaining one Dex related skill of the second person

I vote for a mask of sorts..

ArchMageMyrrendor wrote:
Thought this might be fun to do to kill two weeks. I do not want to rock the boat with the competition per se. Judges is this cool? If not delete this thread...

I will add that I will also illustrate said item with color and provide a deviantart link when it is completed. Perhaps this will add some interest?

Star Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 9

How about a belt or a headband that protects against physical or mental ability drain?

Grand Lodge Contributor , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9

Is the purpose to make a wondrous item or a Superstar worthy wondrous item? If it's the latter, I suggest a slotless item as there's more untrodden ground there.

Star Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 9

Perhaps so, but that's why we're brainstorming. ;)

Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Slotless, hmmmm, how about

Ruthless Diaper of the Witch Queen's Daughter

? :D

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7, Star Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Hodge Podge

Haha, we should probably make round one of this go for another day or two. :p

Anthony Adam wrote:

Totally a waist slot item.

Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Hodge Podge wrote:

Haha, we should probably make round one of this go for another day or two. :p

Anthony Adam wrote:

Totally a waist slot item.

Grin, I was thinking more of a missile that lands with a spooge sound emanating a gaseous attack in a huge radious of impact, and to really get the best effect, there are the increasingly rare "green" filled ones :P

Ok I like the slotless concept. Maybe since slotless are hard to think about utility wise.

@Serpent: the latter is correct, good sir. It is an experiment to see if collaboration would be worth the efforts of submitters in the future (i.e. friends helping out, etc.)

So we have these three serious options to vote on what it will be first:

- a mask
- a headband
- a bracelet

This isn't strata at this point of course.

All these types of items have slots specifically, and I am ok with slotted items. Personally it gives you an idea where the character(s) will wear/hold said item and can add to the flavor in the descriptions of such player characters. Ultimate utility for all races/classes is the most ideal item in my opinion. That's the way I went with my item when I designed it. All joking aside lets make a real item here folks.
No weapons or armors, remember the rules for the competition that inspired this here..

Some mundane item examples:
clothing (hats, shoes/boots, etc.)
Gemstones
Statues
musical instruments
furniture
containers- bags, jars, etc.

Pick one mundane item from this list above. Post your vote please.

AM

Grand Lodge Contributor , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9

While the diaper is deep in the joke item territory and therefore should not be given any serious consideration, I like the uniqueness of the idea. I don't recall there being any diaper items in the books. What I mean is that you should go for the same level of uniqueness. Bags and figurines have already been done to death, so let's go where no-one (or few) have gone before. :)

This is not to say that a magical glove or belt cannot be Superstar - just pointing out that it's easier to make the item stand out if it doesn't resemble anything that we've seen before in function or shape.

The base item could be something from the natural world, for example. A seashell, for example. Well I'm sure you can think of something better. :)

Saddle

Market Scales (the oldy worldy ones that use discs of varying sizes and weights)

Chess Set

Bandana

Crevat

There's a few to get you going.

There aren't a ton of sewing based items that I'm aware of, i.e. scissors, needle, thread, thimble. Not to say the power has to necessarily be sewing related.

Good, very good. Of Anthony's list, my favorites are the saddle and the scales. For example, with the saddle, you can harness the power of a thunderstorm, and ride the storm, so to say. Here's an example of what it could be like:

Stormrider's Saddle

Core powers:
* Gain a fly speed based on prevailing weather conditions
* Use Ride skill checks instead of Fly skill checks
* Gain immunity to most wind effects, maybe also some concealment

Visuals: A fierce steed shaped from clouds and wind.

Scales are often associated with balance or judgment. Rather than weighing physical mass, it could be a detection item of another sort.

Star Voter Season 7

Starfinder Superscriber

You know I'm always happy to see more figurines in the game. I've always been a huge fan (even before that lame Drow got into them).

Items of scrying could be interesting, as could anything that maybe magic or steamtech/high tech.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32 , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7 aka Standback

Oooh, I like the chess set idea. But that lends itself to something social, or a plot device... but I'd love to try it anyway.

goodwicki, the needles of the ebon strand have knitting items pretty nicely sewn up :P

Standback wrote:
Oooh, I like the chess set idea. But that lends itself to something social, or a plot device... but I'd love to try it anyway.

Here's an idea that is not something social, or a plot device.

When you're holding the chessboard, it creates illusions of black and white pieces on the board, representing the creatures you perceive as your enemies and allies within a 40' by 40' area. (8x8 squares ;) )

As a standard action, by moving one of the pieces, you can force a creature to move. You can only use moves legal in chess, and you cannot move a creature outside the 40x40 feet area.

And so on... :)

Standback wrote:
goodwicki, the needles of the ebon strand have knitting items pretty nicely sewn up :P

Ah - I had forgotten those.

As for the chess set, maybe a single chess piece would be less "plot devicey". Or a chess set where each type of piece did something different... though they would then probably have to be one use items, and border on feather token territory.

Star Voter Season 6

I really like both the stormrider's saddle, and the chess board/movement item...

How about a piece of furniture: a folding camp chair. It might actually be used by an adventurer! It could be a divining item (sit in the chair beside the fire, and gain a vision about a task you wish to undertake), or a way to watch/guard camp while still gaining some rest.

Maybe while the chair is occupied, an Alarm spell surrounds the camp at a certain radius, and the person in the chair gets 1/2 the number of hours spent sitting credited as "sleep", so a 4 hour watch shift counts as 2 hours of sleep.

Ok so here's what we have as good ideas:

the stormrider's saddle
the chess set
bandana
scales

This is a good start but what will be Great is the next step.
The stormrider's saddle has some amazing potential in my opinion. I can see it having a widespread desire for all classes especially ones that use the riding skill, but perhaps it could add some ride skill points so the classes without such skills could have use or gain the use in such an item.

I vote for the saddle-it's "slotless" and meets several pre-requisites I had mentioned before in what I felt "could be" SUPERSTAR. Naturally this is my first go at the competition, but I think this is a great start. Can I get a vote from you guys on whether this meets how we feel a superstar item should start out in conceptuals?

Thank you all for your interest it always amazes me on how awesome us gamers really are.

AM

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Remember, Myrrendor, that this item isn't actually going to be part of the competition, and I don't believe true collaboration is even permissible in actual entries. Still, holding one's work up to the Superstar standard is definitely admirable, and I think there's great value in working together to improve.

Really_Seamus wrote:
Remember, Myrrendor, that this item isn't actually going to be part of the competition, and I don't believe true collaboration is even permissible in actual entries. Still, holding one's work up to the Superstar standard is definitely admirable, and I think there's great value in working together to improve.

I agree and that was the whole point of this collaboration. That said I am sure there have been people holding up their own items to get a second pair of eyes to look at it. That in of itself is a collaboration of sorts albeit very brief. I thought the value was working and showing creative processes that could be SUPERSTAR worthy. And yes the due date is well past the point of no return. So yeah its not in the competition, I know, but wouldn't it be awesome to see the judges comentary on this..provided they have any time to do so.

You guys are awesome. And to think twenty-five years ago over-state and country borders collaborations involved phones and other issues...

AM

Dark Archive Contributor , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Boxhead

I'm sure I'm sold on the saddle if it doesn't actually affect a mount. Working off Serpent's ideas, but granting them to a mount creates a great visual of a horse surrounded by a thunderstorm, which I do like.

The chess set could become something else- maybe a charm bracelet that conjures things with its various chess piece charms. Otherwise I could enjoy a charm suite of powers, with more powerful effects based off of better pieces. There's only seven pieces in a chess set, so it needs seven powers at most, which is probably too many.

Scales could be a great item to introduce a "switch" mechanic, maybe letting you switch acs or hp with a monster. Even borrowing an allies' saving throw could be a cool mechanic...

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32, 2011 Top 4 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka DankeSean

Eric Hindley wrote:
The chess set could become something else- maybe a charm bracelet that conjures things with its various chess piece charms. Otherwise I could enjoy a charm suite of powers, with more powerful effects based off of better pieces. There's only seven pieces in a chess set, so it needs seven powers at most, which is probably too many.

One of the entries in my 'neat idea but not quite good enough for me to develop' file from last year was a chess set. Each piece did have a different power, and if I ever had developed it as en entry I'd have likely picked one piece to give a full writeup too. Basically I skinned them off of the ioun stone mechanics; each piece orbited the user's head, except instead of smooth circles, they moved in short bursts like the pieces would on a board.

Just thought I'd toss that into the idea heap, in case it inspires anyone more than me. :-)

Despite my chess comments below, I'll throw in my vote for a magic saddle - I think the item type has a lot of possibilities.

Sean McGowan wrote:
Basically I skinned them off of the ioun stone mechanics; each piece orbited the user's head, except instead of smooth circles, they moved in short bursts like the pieces would on a board.

I was thinking more like a figurine you could carry on your person or in a slot (perhaps a charm as Eric has suggested), and would allow you some movement-based ability linked to the piece a couple times a day - knight would allow a teleport to a proper space (10' straight by 5' right angle), rook might allow some sort of special charge maneuver, pawn might grant a free 5-ft (or even 10-ft) step towards enemy, king might allow 5-ft step through any terrain, etc.

Serpent wrote:
As a standard action, by moving one of the pieces, you can force a creature to move. You can only use moves legal in chess, and you cannot move a creature outside the 40x40 feet area.

I really like this idea (somehow overlooked your post when I made my last one). What are your thoughts on how piece type would be assigned to creatures? User dictates, or by general layout on "board", or user and first enemy are kings and additional allies and enemies work down through piece values...?

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Star Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 8 aka nate lange

if you're interested in exploring an item that ventures into the new rules, a bandana that grants some benefit or bonus related to grit/deeds would certainly be iconic (though, possibly to the extent of being cliche).

from a logistical stand point, i think the chess board has a lot of issues to overcome: as goodwicki pointed out, how do you assign piece types to friends/enemies? if you're using a chessboard in combat, what happens when someone (inevitably) flips it over? does the set function if pieces are lost/stolen/broken or does it have to be complete (and what do pieces have for hardness/hit points)?

i kind of like the idea for movement related charms based on piece type, but once you divorce the pieces from the board you really just have (imho) a bag full of figurines or feather tokens that happen to look like chess pieces.

i do think the saddle has potential. the simplest way to do it (i think) would be to have it summon a creature determined by the current weather conditions either 1/day for x time or for x minutes or hours per day (possibly limited also by how long that weather lasts- maybe x hours in the right weather but each minute in wrong weather kills an hour?) it wouldn't have to necessarily be a 'real' creature- a wingless flying horse made of solid fog for windy, a wolf made of living ice for snowy, a great eagle of cloud and lightning for storms, etc... and you could let the user pick when more than one applies. well, i guess really the simplest thing would be to have it give a real mount bonuses based on the weather- but this is more wondrous. if a real mount was wearing it it would be cheaper (since it wouldn't be slotless anymore) but we'd have to assign it an appropriate humanoid-equivalent slot (to answer the questions which would come up when an eidolon used one).

Dedicated Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka OwlbearRepublic

nate lange wrote:

from a logistical stand point, i think the chess board has a lot of issues to overcome: as goodwicki pointed out, how do you assign piece types to friends/enemies? if you're using a chessboard in combat, what happens when someone (inevitably) flips it over? does the set function if pieces are lost/stolen/broken or does it have to be complete (and what do pieces have for hardness/hit points)?

I find the game board idea to be the most interesting one in this thread. Changing the game from chess to something simpler eliminates some of the problems. For example, suppose you've got something like checkers or go. The pieces are homogeneous and simple, which means you could put the magic in the board and make the pieces replaceable if lost. Making it combat effective is a problem, so I say forget it; make it an item that you use outside of combat, as for divination.

Off the top of my head, how about a board with silver and gold beads representing law and chaos. By spending an hour playing against another character who opposes you on that axis, you gain some major bonus once within the next day, but only in conflict with an enemy who opposes you on that axis. The idea is that you receive an insight into the cosmic conflict between law and chaos that is relevant to your next participation in that conflict.

Both players should have the potential to get the bonus, but the loser has to make a difficult check to get it, while the winner gets it automatically. This could add real drama to a game (perhaps one played between rivals while their allies have a more traditional battle elsewhere, one in which the bonus from the game could turn the tide). Maybe the prize involves transferring hero points to an ally who matches your ethical alignment, so long as you can communicate with him?

This would be a great item for mechanically echoing philosophical differences within a group... e.g., the chaotic sorcerer and the paladin are forever playing each other in games of law vs. chaos, with results that have consequences as they fight enemies on either side of the ethical fence.

The chess board doesnt have to be combat oriented. For example, what if placing the chess board against a lock, the pieces form a chess puzzle. You make a knowledge or intuition type check to try and solve the chess puzzle. Doing so magically unlocks the lock.
or, say you are of reasonable level and now own your own holding/mansion. Each piece could represent a light / torch etc in that house. Move the piece to a white square lights the light wherever you are, to a black square extinguishes it. Sort of a "home" when we arent diversion to protect against thieves.

Although I gave some ideas above, I agree on changing the chess set to some other boardgame. Personally, I don't like the idea of characters in Golarion playing a game that's culturally and historically tied to our world. Just like Tarot cards have their Pathfinder counterpart in the Harrow deck, chess should be called something else and have different rules.

Losing the pieces won't be a problem if they never existed in the first place. :p It's a magic item, so the pieces can be illusions/conjurations.

Maybe the board shows miniature versions of creatures near you rather than black or white chess pieces. If you pinch, push or grab the miniature creatures with your hand, you can apply spell effects like interposing hand, grasping hand, etc. on the actual creatures.

Anyway, I still like the saddle idea better. Rather than assigning creature types to different types of weather, I'd just describe how the appearance changes with weather and give an example or two, but let the reader decide if it looks like a horse or some other creature.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Dedicated Voter Season 8 aka artofcheatery

I got pissed at my DM for using a chess puzzle in a DragonLance game. Krynn has khas, which is played on a hexagon board. Generally fantasy versions tend to be much more complicated since they have so many more actions to take into account. The Codex Alera novels have second 'sky' boards for their version of chess since in any battle the armies would have someone that can fly.

Of course none of that matters beyond that a different board game should be chosen.
-X

Ok so I have heard several thumbs up on the saddle and a lot of debate on the functionality of the "chess set" but not true official votes. So I vote to move on the saddle if everyone is ok with that. It does appear to have, of the many ideas (two major ones) to have "superstar" interesting effects. So with that said lets see what we can muster from the saddle based on its utility:

Slot -
Aura Strong conjuration?
Weight 6-8lbs.? (How much does a saddle weigh anyway/type of saddle?)

So I think we can start with this and work into the final product. Next I feel is the specific powers and effects. Remember we are aiming to meet the competition standards so the 300 word count still stands can we get a collaboration on its magical capabilities?

This also means there should be a limitation on its powers (think S.M.A.R.T-specific, measurable, attainable, reasonable, time-based effects). Yeah its a project management term here, but this is a collaborative project here.

Once again I reiterate the awesomeness that is you all for your interest in providing a valuable resource for other users to see creative processes and to drive better results for home-gaming and abroad (item creation).

AM

Saddles can easily weigh 25 pounds or more. Working and roping saddles in particular can weigh between 40 and 50 pounds.

Really_Seamus wrote:
Saddles can easily weigh 25 pounds or more. Working and roping saddles in particular can weigh between 40 and 50 pounds.

Oh wow, never realized. Shows how much I know about saddles..lol. Never rode on horse so the knowledge set is just not there. Ok does anyone have a a reference link for types of saddles so we can work with some real figures? I think all magical items play a role in the real world so I always aim to provide realistic weights/measurements when I do item creation, even if its an estimation of a magically "light" heavy shield, etc.

AM

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Dedicated Voter Season 8 aka artofcheatery

How about the SRD?
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services#S

Saddle, military - 30 lbs.
Saddle, pack - 15 lbs.
Saddle, riding - 25 lbs.
Saddle, exotic (military) - 40 lbs.
Saddle, exotic (pack) - 20 lbs.
Saddle, exotic (riding) - 30 lbs.

Type is actually kind of important here. Pack would be kind of a delivery item, but depending on whether we want it to be a combat oriented item versus a quick movement item.
-X

The size and weight will be an issue if there's no horse around to carry it. Maybe we should change it to a bridle. They don't weight a lot, and after all, it is the bridle (which includes the bit and reins) that you use to control a horse. While holding the reins, speaking the command word causes a steed of wind and thunder form under you (so you're mounted right away).

artofcheatery wrote:

How about the SRD?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services#S

Saddle, military - 30 lbs.
Saddle, pack - 15 lbs.
Saddle, riding - 25 lbs.
Saddle, exotic (military) - 40 lbs.
Saddle, exotic (pack) - 20 lbs.
Saddle, exotic (riding) - 30 lbs.

Type is actually kind of important here. Pack would be kind of a delivery item, but depending on whether we want it to be a combat oriented item versus a quick movement item.
-X

Cool good info. Thank you A.O.C. Yeah the weight would be a problem for say a wizarding class. But what would it be crafted from could make the difference too. (i.e. design it to be amazingly light-magical properties, etc.)

Serpent wrote:

The size and weight will be an issue if there's no horse around to carry it. Maybe we should change it to a bridle. They don't weight a lot, and after all, it is the bridle (which includes the bit and reins) that you use to control a horse. While holding the reins, speaking the command word causes a steed of wind and thunder form under you (so you're mounted right away).

I agree! Anyone else second this for simplification purposes? Also a cool name like Bridle of the Stormsteed *riders on the storm...*

AM

Hmmm, its a magical saddle, so what if the properties include the ability to be worn by any mounted animal, not just horses.

e.g. the straps could length for placement around the girth of an Oxen, or the strap positions might allow for placing on a pegasus to avoid the wing joints, etc.

ArchMageMyrrendor wrote:
But what would it be crafted from could make the difference too. (i.e. design it to be amazingly light-magical properties, etc.)

Of course, we could do that, but if we don't explain it in the text, someone will say "hey, saddles are supposed to be heavier". We could say that it's "crafted from rare and exotic materials that make it lighter than it looks", but we don't want direct the reader's attention away from the important stuff with something like that. Players and characters want to do cool stuff, not think about their encumberance limits.

So, what does the item look like? Its appearance should give some hints as to what it is used for. There could be a faint smell of ozone, some burn marks, etc.

The name you suggested is pretty cool. :) We can go with that unless there are other ideas.

EDIT: And of course, we have to decide whether it is an item worn by an animal or an item that conjures an elemental force that allows you to ride the storm. I vote for the latter. If it's the former, then it being a saddle really isn't a problem at all.

I like the bit/bridle idea over the saddle for logistical purposes. Carrying around a 30-40 lb. magic item, perhaps half that to account for magical, lighter leather, doesn't really appeal to me. It also takes away from the "cool" when you're hauling this thing around.

"Gimme... nhh... a second guys! Ff... man, this this is HEAVY. Grognar, carry this for me, will you?"

If that idea is the one being fleshed out right now, are we looking at something akin to phantom steed with a lightning flavor summoned X times/day for Y minutes? Something similar to a figurine of wondrous power in execution?

I'd stay away from anything that sounds like a monster in a can. This is supposed to be a Superstar worthy item, and you know how much the judges hate monsters in a can. :p Even the <i>phantom steed</i> is too much of a monster in a can even though it isn't a creature, technically speaking.

The way I see it, you're not riding a creature when you use the bridle. You're basically using a magical effect that grants you a fly speed, and the magic of the bridle allows you to control the effect with the Ride skill.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Star Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 8 aka nate lange

Serpent wrote:
The way I see it, you're not riding a creature when you use the bridle. You're basically using a magical effect that grants you a fly speed, and the magic of the bridle allows you to control the effect with the Ride skill.

i'd like to respectfully disagree. to me, the visual of a character flying through the air sitting on an empty saddle or being dragged by an empty bridle is a little ridiculous.

pragmatically, the bridle will require that we eat up some word count with explanation- for example, how many hands does it take to use it and does it effect spellcasting as if mounted (if its granting a fly speed i'd assume not, but since its a bridle we'd probably need to clarify that)? also, 2 leather straps are fairly fragile so we'd likely need to include info for sundering. for a saddle we might have to burn some words making it lighter but since you'd actually be mounted all the mechanics are already in place. and honestly it'll probably cost enough that players will have access to a bag of holding by the time they get it, so making it lighter may be unneccessary?

my vote is for a military saddle that conjures or creates something visible that you're riding and that we just leave the weight at 30lbs. alternatively- it could use a transmutation effect to tranform any mount wearing it into whatever effect you're riding, which would give the option of having a mount carry it and/or to use it as a mundane item too?

Dedicated Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka OwlbearRepublic

I think that a saddle should somehow enhance the rider or an existing mount, not conjure a mount in any way. Mounted combat is already a niche capability in Pathfinder, and characters who occupy that niche are very likely to have some sort of special mount. Among characters who would buy a magic saddle, most wouldn't want to give up riding their paladin mount, animal companion, or whatever.

Thinking about the design space here, maybe opening up new mount options would be a cool thing to do for mounted characters. Something that opens up new potential for riding unusual creatures like bulettes, blink dogs, and ghost horses, for example. Perhaps the saddle permits the rider to benefit from unusual mount traits like burrowing and teleportation. Permitting the mount to benefit from movement buffs on the rider would be a nice subsidiary effect that would nicely fill out the design space of "make sure Mounted Guy and Mount can stick together in combat."

hmmm... i think owlbear makes an interesting point...
while an item that boosts an existing mount might not seem as "superstar" as something more extraordinary its certainly more practical. someone commissioning or buying a magical saddle would almost definitely have a mount already, and someone creating one would (unless they're very creative but very foolish) make sure they had some easy means of moving it around.

i'm still voting for a regular military saddle but i think it should either:
a.) have some simple function like a permenant (possibly dismissable) steed spell that becomes something fantastical with a command word- probably with weather related effects, based on the direction the conversation seems to be headed; or
b.) grant benefits to a real mount based on prevailing weather conditions.

i know the advice columns warn against alliteration but Saddle of the Stormsteed has a nice ring, if we can conjure enough mojo to invoke rule #27 (enough mojo trumps all other rules).

nate lange wrote:
i'd like to respectfully disagree. to me, the visual of a character flying through the air sitting on an empty saddle or being dragged by an empty bridle is a little ridiculous.

Yes, that'd be really ridiculous. I'm glad no-one suggested something like that, I'd feel ashamed for them. :D Seriously though, I didn't say that there should be no visual representation of the effect. In my later posts, I was talking about the mechanical effect only. In my earlier posts in this thread you can see I've suggested:

Quote:
Visuals: A fierce steed shaped from clouds and wind.

And:

Quote:
Rather than assigning creature types to different types of weather, I'd just describe how the appearance changes with weather and give an example or two, but let the reader decide if it looks like a horse or some other creature.

(Though if we change it to a bridle, it should definitely look like a horse.)

And a third time:

Quote:
While holding the reins, speaking the command word causes a steed of wind and thunder form under you

So, what I meant was basically just that it should not conjure an actual creature (with hp, AC and other stats) or even a pseudo-creature (with some characteristics of a creature, but not all).

Anyway, it looks like opinions are divided between three options:

* It is an effect that only looks like a creature
* It conjures a creature (like the figurines of wondrous power...)
* It enhances an existing mount

The storm connection is cool. If we go in that direction, we should bind the whole effect up in the item rather than tying it to prevailing weather conditions, since the latter A) further narrows the item's utility and B) requires the GM to determine weather conditions in some manner, which is a process many GMs would rather skip. Maybe the saddle creates a storm that grows as the rider makes mounted charges and ride-by attacks? Maybe the mount gets buffs with a wind theme (like bonuses to jump, deflection of ranged weapons and lightning that strikes opponents for extra damage when the rider makes a successful lance attack)?

Alternately, talking about a ghost horse in my previous post got me thinking... what about a small portion of a bridle with its ends singed or otherwise severed. You hold it in your hand x times per day and it summons an ectoplasmic version of a dead mount that served you during its life. It is identical to that mount in every way, including old class feature bonuses, but is now undead and capable of limited flight. This item would be for characters who've lost a special mount that was really important to their character and that they don't want to simply replace.

nate lange wrote:

hmmm... i think owlbear makes an interesting point...

while an item that boosts an existing mount might not seem as "superstar" as something more extraordinary its certainly more practical. someone commissioning or buying a magical saddle would almost definitely have a mount already, and someone creating one would (unless they're very creative but very foolish) make sure they had some easy means of moving it around.

I cannot muster any reasoning why you couldn't have both effects with and without a mount. Such benefits would make it truly wondrous as players horses or other steeds can die, it praises benefits of knowing you would always have a saddle and a steed.

nate lange wrote:

i'm still voting for a regular military saddle but i think it should either:
a.) have some simple function like a permenant (possibly dismissable) steed spell that becomes something fantastical with a command word- probably with weather related effects, based on the direction the conversation seems to be headed; or
b.) grant benefits to a real mount based on prevailing weather conditions.

i know the advice columns warn against alliteration but Saddle of the Stormsteed has a nice ring, if we can conjure enough mojo to invoke rule #27 (enough mojo trumps all other rules).

Role 1: With a steed the saddle functions as a masterwork military saddle that grants the rider an +10 to all ride skill checks and the steed gains the ability to fly (average) at its normal movement rate for up to five rounds creating a storm cloud as it moves through the air. The rider cannot be knocked from the saddle while mounted on any steed under the saddle.

Role 2: If the owner has no steed for the saddle upon uttering the command word that is burned into its outter rim a brilliant white Griffon steed manifests under the saddle. In this role, the saddle grants the rider mounted combat with a +4 bonus and cannot be knocked from the saddle.

Ok so who is up for a griffon stormsteed?

AM

I'm not dead set against a saddle that works both to create a mount and to buff an existing one. I do think that such an approach dilutes the concept. It'll eat word-count, too.

At this point, I suggest we come up with some really good crunch for the storm theme or drop it. It keeps popping up in various forms, but so far without a really good mechanical hook. If we can come up with one, we should build to that (because the visual impression of a storm steed is really cool). If we can't think of a mechanical hook, we should drop the storm idea and broaden our search.

OwlbearRepublic wrote:
The storm connection is cool. If we go in that direction, we should bind the whole effect up in the item rather than tying it to prevailing weather conditions, since the latter A) further narrows the item's utility and B) requires the GM to determine weather conditions in some manner, which is a process many GMs would rather skip.

Well, you're right in that in narrows the item's utility and puts some pressure on the GM to remember to tell the players what the prevailing weather conditions are instead of defaulting to "no weather", i.e. no wind, no rain, no fog, etc. So it is probably a good idea to drop that part.

1 to 50 of 87 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Archive / Paizo / RPG Superstar™ / Previous Contests / RPG Superstar™ 2012 / General Discussion / Anyone interested in collaborating a wondrous item for fun? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.