Contestants... take a deep breath, you are doing fine

RPG Superstar™ 2010 General Discussion

Legendary Games, Necromancer Games

Hi guys!

Congrats to the top 32 and alts. This is the first year everyone has followed through and submitted a second round entry. Usually, someone drops out. Of course, that is bad for our alts this year, but it says alot about all of you as contestants.

But here is my advice:

Take a breath. Then breathe out. Nice and slow.

Dont get too swept away by the initial wave of emotion. This round is different. Our criticism is out there and the public scrutiny is more intense. We arent just picking contestants, we are now judging contestants, and the intensity picks up. It can be hard to hear and upsetting. But dont fall into that trap. What matters now is the voting members of the community. Our comments just help start the discussion. And a bad review from me has historically not been fatal.

So dont get upset if you get a ding, or if some discussion goes on about your monster. Step one of being professional is weathering the storm of criticism and review. These are not opinions about you as a person, they are just critiques of a specific thing you made. Remember, you were chosen as the top 5% or so of this whole contest.

Stay the course and dont get swept up in the emotion. Because the voters will judge you if you blow up.

Good luck! I hope you all enjoy this process!

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32 aka Orange Toque

This process is exactly why I entered the competition in the first place. Writing in any field will bring criticism and praise, and that is why I am here. I am looking forward (truly) to all discussion on my monster.

TM

Contributor

And remember that everyone makes mistakes. I have my fair share of writer goofs, and you will, too. You take your lumps, learn from them, and don't dwell on it.

Good luck to everyone! And have fun!

The Exchange

Clark Peterson wrote:

Hi guys!

Congrats to the top 32 and alts. This is the first year everyone has followed through and submitted a second round entry. Usually, someone drops out. Of course, that is bad for our alts this year, but it says alot about all of you as contestants.

/kicksrocks

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Bill Dodds wrote:
/kicksrocks

Hang in there Bill and keep following the contest! You obviously figured out some kinda mojo (which we can't see because you're an ALT).. and you can do it AGAIN. That might not be what you want to hear today, but you can make Top 32 next year.

I'm not just blowin' sunshine either. I believe there's something liberating about knowing you can do something once, that gives you the confidence to do it again.

Dedicated Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7

Sean K Reynolds wrote:

And remember that everyone makes mistakes. I have my fair share of writer goofs, and you will, too. You take your lumps, learn from them, and don't dwell on it.

Good luck to everyone! And have fun!

At first I thought you said, "You take your lungs, and you learn from them..." --huh??

I may have read one too many uses of the word 'necrotic' in this round!!!!

Dedicated Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7

Oooh! I now have my monster entry for next year: Sapient Breathbags!

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32 , Star Voter Season 8 aka NJKrosse

Clark Peterson wrote:

Take a breath. Then breathe out. Nice and slow.

... wise thoughts indeed ...

Stay the course and dont get swept up in the emotion.

I know this to be true, I read my entry quickly, took note of everything, felt some jarring emotions, and promptly stepped away and started looking at other entries.

This opening salvo is important, I don't doubt, yet the long week ahead will be a better judge for all of us.

Jim Groves wrote:

I'm not just blowin' sunshine either. I believe there's something liberating about knowing you can do something once, that gives you the confidence to do it again.

Ditto on this, just being among the company of the first round, given me much perspective, but also given me a reason to keep at what I've come to love.

The Exchange

Clark Peterson wrote:

So dont get upset if you get a ding, or if some discussion goes on about your monster. Step one of being professional is weathering the storm of criticism and review. These are not opinions about you as a person, they are just critiques of a specific thing you made. Remember, you were chosen as the top 5% or so of this whole contest.

You know, I'm surprised that the later rounds aren't anonymous to the general voting hordes in the same way that the first is to the judges. This only occurred to me last night when I read someone's monster and was torn between judging it on what I read and giving the person the benefit of the doubt based on other stuff that I'd seen by them on the boards. Perhaps something to consider for next year, if Gary can whip up a mod to the boards code that prevents our superstar-padawans from posting in the threads while voting is open.

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32 aka Hydro

I would have absolutely no problem competing anonymously, as many of the competition probably have much stronger reputations as good forum citizens and general cool dudes than myself.

However, I think that seeing the folks you've chatted with up in the spotlight is part of the contest's charm, even if it makes it a little unscientific.

The Exchange

Nicolas Quimby wrote:

However, I think that seeing the folks you've chatted with up in the spotlight is part of the contest's charm, even if it makes it a little unscientific.

I do agree, it's great to see folks I've chatted to up there this year, but having a 'great reveal' at the end of each round where we find out who did what would also be cool.

Edit: It's also an aide to me, so that I judge the work and not the worker.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter Season 6

To play Asmodaeus' advocate...

Wouldn't knowing who won the whole shebang have an impact on (non-subscribers) buying the adventure anyway? I mean I can be somewhat of a jerk at times, though I try not to be. If (by some level of divine intervention) I were to win the contest with each of my results hidden until the reveal, it might have the opposite effect.

"What? How'd he get into round 1?"

"Arrgh! Who votes for him, he's in round 2!"

"Blast, if I'd know he wrote <redacted> I'd never have voted him in the final four."

"What? Gnome alone was his idea? And I voted for the $^#$^#? No way I'm glorifying his ego by buying his crap, no matter how cool it sounded."

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2009, RPG Superstar Judgernaut

Part of the RPG Superstar competition is to build up a fanbase, if you will, for a designer's work...and basically, the products he (or she) will write for Paizo if they go on to win. If everyone remained anonymous throughout the entire competition, it would defeat that purpose.

In addition, RPG Superstar is patterned after American Idol (or Pop Idol as it's called in other countries). Although the singers who try out for that show are anonymous when they come before the judges to decide if they get to "go to Hollywood"...from that point forward, they aren't anonymous to the voting public anymore.

That's because the producers want you to know who they are. They want you to see their personality (and to some degree what they look like from a style perspective), because these contestants will be trying to craft an image for themselves as a star and not just a "voice" or a singer. So you need to see "the whole package" so to speak.

Now I don't know how much RPG Superstar has to mirror that. But, because of the aforementioned fanbase "following" that can benefit an author, there's no doubt that it's still important. Associating a particular name with a product can most certainly help sell it. I think Mr. Logue and Mr. Pett have likely demonstrated that from a freelancer perspective many times over. And who doesn't want to pick up the Pathfinder module Monte Cook will be writing for Paizo? Or any AP module penned by James Jacobs or Erik Mona?

That's what the power of associating an individual with their work can do for a product. And, in my opinion, RPG Superstar should serve to demonstrate that over the course of each round. It's one of the best aspects of the entire competition.

But that's just my two-cents,
--Neil

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32 , Star Voter Season 6

I'm a complete unknown here, competing against some well-known and respected forum regulars. I think that's just as it should be. Their body of work should have some influence on the process.

At the same time, being suddenly thrust onto Paizo's biggest stage has given me the opportunity to establish my voice here. I hope to make the most of it.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2009, RPG Superstar Judgernaut

I was a relative unknown during 2009, too. I participated in a few PbP games in the forums, but was mostly just a lurker elsewhere on the boards. It's really more about what you do and how you conduct yourself after you hit the Top 32.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2008 Top 16, 2010 Top 4 aka Alexander MacLeod

Clark Peterson wrote:
So dont get upset if you get a ding, or if some discussion goes on about your monster...

I stayed up way to late last night... I read that as "discussion goes on about your mother!"

Legendary Games, Necromancer Games

brock wrote:

You know, I'm surprised that the later rounds aren't anonymous to the general voting hordes in the same way that the first is to the judges. This only occurred to me last night when I read someone's monster and was torn between judging it on what I read and giving the person the benefit of the doubt based on other stuff that I'd seen by them on the boards. Perhaps something to consider for next year, if Gary can whip up a mod to the boards code that prevents our superstar-padawans from posting in the threads while voting is open.

I dont think that will happen. Board presence and community presence is a factor. We are looking for a superstar. Personality plays a role. The "padawans" cant post on their items/entries, so that way each is limited.

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

Yeah I think it's a good mix. I'm a relative newbie to the forums too, but I'd like to think that if someone has a fan-base within the community that should play a factor.

I'm sure there was a reason why the first issues of KQ were loaded with heavy-hitters in the rpg community. On a smaller scale, RPG superstar does the same thing where each designer develops their own voice and brand throughout the contest.

And that also seems like a good thing to learn from, since it looks like a big part of getting ahead in the rpg design business also involves self-promotion. Most accomplished, respected rpg designers post regularly on forums, run blogs and twitter accounts, and work hard to keep their work and names in circulation in the gaming community.

It's very cool how many lessons on good game design can be learned through this contest. I'm sure I'll come out in a much better situation on the other side of it, whether or not I get out-designed this round or the next.

Star Voter Season 6

Yes, and remember that the stress is actually pretty low right now. If you want to see hardcore arguing, check out the thread for Eric Bailey's Rakshasa villain stat block last year. Whoo boy, was that intense.

Actually, it seems like the final four showdown between Eric and Neil had the most intense arguing, now that I go back and read it.

Community / Forums / Archive / Paizo / RPG Superstar™ / Previous Contests / RPG Superstar™ 2010 / General Discussion / Contestants... take a deep breath, you are doing fine All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion