Starfinder Beginner Box Announced!

Friday, August 3, 2018

We have an important communications dispatch to issue here at Starfinder HQ: we're working on a Starfinder Beginner Box!

Come spring 2019, you'll be able to get your hands on a box with all of the components needed to quickly learn and play the popular Starfinder RPG. From dice, to maps, to pawns, to separate books for GMs and players, this box is meant to provide a self-contained gaming experience for those with little to no experience with Starfinder—or with tabletop RPGs at all.

Work on the Beginner Box is still churning apace back in our office in Redmond, even as the project's design team is bustling around Indianapolis at Gen Con. In addition to our team's game design work, at this very moment we have the best production crewmembers in the business dedicated to making this product as awesome as possible.

We just announced this project at our Starfinder 101 panel at the convention, but we realize that legions of interested parties are not in Indianapolis. For those who couldn't make it to the show, check out the Starfinder Beginner Box cover that we revealed below!

If you'd like to see the seminar where we announced this project, go to the Paizo Twitch stream and find the video for the Starfinder 101 panel.

In the meantime, stay tuned in the coming months for more information about the Starfinder Beginner Box!

—The Starfinder Beginner Box Design Team
Joe Pasini, design lead
Owen K.C. Stephens, design lead
Amanda Hamon Kunz, managing developer
Rob McCreary, creative director

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Starfinder
51 to 63 of 63 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

It will be interesting if there is a Humble Starfinder Bundle with this in it.


Noven wrote:
It will be interesting if there is a Humble Starfinder Bundle with this in it.

The Pathfinder bb Humble bundle (the reason I'm playing PF today TBH) was like 5 years after it was released, and I assume this won't be out until holidays or 2019. So here's to hoping for 2024 Starfinder Humble Bundle!

Elinnea wrote:

It's twitch.tv/officialpaizo

The videos are available there, but they're still the uncut recordings of entire days of seminars. I'd rather not wade through 8 hours of video to find the section I want to see...

The seminar recordings will be released by the Know Direction team sooner or later, so personally I'm waiting for that.

Thanks for the info. Yeah the whole thing is a bit messy without some cut down footage for specifics.

Dark Archive

I am hoping the rules are closer to the core SF rules so the SF beginner box doesn't feel like a different rule set, Like the pf beginner box.


Is this instead of or in addition to a book next northern hemisphere spring?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Added URL to blog entry.


Shouldn't this have been like the 1st starfinder product, instead of coming in a year or so later?
Better late than never I guess.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Childeric, The Shatterer wrote:

Shouldn't this have been like the 1st starfinder product, instead of coming in a year or so later?

Better late than never I guess.

Yes and no. While yes, it would have been great to have a starting box from the get go, they also had to create the game before hand. Putting all of the rules and what not together in one book was a mythic task in itself, and then they had to gauge the customer reaction to the product to see if it warranted such a product. I assume Paizo sees Starfinder as a selling good-enough selling product to spend the time and energy on a starter box now, as well as upping their production times with more releases this up coming year. I get your point, but I also believe the Pathfinder beginner box didn't come out with the first edition of Pathfinder and came along much later.


Aunders wrote:
Childeric, The Shatterer wrote:

Shouldn't this have been like the 1st starfinder product, instead of coming in a year or so later?

Better late than never I guess.
Yes and no. While yes, it would have been great to have a starting box from the get go, they also had to create the game before hand. Putting all of the rules and what not together in one book was a mythic task in itself, and then they had to gauge the customer reaction to the product to see if it warranted such a product. I assume Paizo sees Starfinder as a selling good-enough selling product to spend the time and energy on a starter box now, as well as upping their production times with more releases this up coming year. I get your point, but I also believe the Pathfinder beginner box didn't come out with the first edition of Pathfinder and came along much later.

I can see the logic in that.

To me Pathfinder was similar enough to DND 3.5 that no beginner box was necessary out of the gate. Starfinder, however, seems different enough to warrant one from the start, to help teach the system.

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Anyone else have to look twice cause they thought the box said "Beginner Eox" ?

Paizo Employee Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kadasbrass Loreweaver wrote:
Anyone else have to look twice cause they thought the box said "Beginner Eox" ?

I'm genuinely curious about the answer to this question!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Kadasbrass Loreweaver wrote:
Anyone else have to look twice cause they thought the box said "Beginner Eox" ?

Now that you've pointed it out, I had to look twice because I didn't see that. Talk about missed opportunities, guys! You were one letter off!

(I'm looking forward to Beginner Box with two Bs, actually. It should be pretty great.)


Very much looking forward to see if I can't get one of these for my Gaming Club I advise for at the HS I work for. I know a lot of the kids that were there last year were new to the systems and it'd be an awesome way for them to learn.


Awesome! The Pathfinder Beginner Box is the whole reason I was able to get my group (they’re mostly new to RPGs) to start playing. We’re now in year two of my campaign! This will be a great way to get them to finally try Starfinder as well.

51 to 63 of 63 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Starfinder / Starfinder General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Starfinder Beginner Box Announced! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.