Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


thereal thom's

Game Master therealthom

Crimson Throne


1,101 to 1,150 of 7,032 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>

"Like the other guy said, my armor makes a lot of noise. Keliwyn?"


Male Human Fighter 3/ Paladin 2

"Take my longspear Keliwyn," says Jeorik as he hands it over to Keliwyn, "You can go next. Then I will follow and Inigo and the mage (if she wants) can bring up the rear."


As Darthen lands softly on the wet landing he slowly pulls out one of his daggers. He takes a quick look up the ladder at the others. Slowly moving down the slippery planks towards the door.

As long as there are no surprise he listens at the door.

Listen (1d20+8=9) Actually 11 against humans.


Darthen wrote:

As Darthen lands softly on the wet landing he slowly pulls out one of his daggers. He takes a quick look up the ladder at the others. Slowly moving down the slippery planks towards the door.

As long as there are no surprise he listens at the door.

Listen (1d20+8=9) Actually 11 against humans.

shortsword is listed as a piercing weapon. I play it as piercing or slashing. Longsword may be used as piercing if it's pointed, -1 to hit, 1d6 damage.

Darthen hears nothing through the door.

The mage is history. She's scooped up her nephew and beat a path outa here.

From the loading dock area, the party hears a crash of somethng heavy (furniture like?) falling to the floor.


Ok with that he will use the shortsword instead

Ignoring the sounds from above he tries to concentrate on the door. Not sure if the sounds from above are distracting him or there is actually nothing behind the door. Darthen slowly moves back and takes whispers up the to the others, "What's going on up there? What was that noise? There isn't anything I can here behind the door, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything."

He doesn't climb up the ladder yet, and he keeps an eye on the door.


Male Elf Rogue 6
Jeorik Vandor wrote:
"Take my longspear Keliwyn," says Jeorik as he hands it over to Keliwyn, "You can go next. Then I will follow and Inigo and the mage (if she wants) can bring up the rear."

"Thanks" Keliwyn says as he takes the spear, "and thanks to you too, my friend," Keliwyn says to Inigo. He then turns and glowers at the gnome. "Priest," he says in a louder voice, "Do with this one what you will. I don't imagine there is a place set for him at the first table. You may also want to check the boardwalk outside. I, for one, don't trust him, and as Jeorik pointed out, Lamm may have another way out of his hidey hole."

With that, Keliwyn drops down the hole behind Darthen.

"Darthen," he whispers, "hold this a moment, while I check the door."

The elf nimbly moves past the larger man and steps to the door where he looks it over and listens for any noise.

search (1d20=20+4=24)
search (1d20=20, 1d8=7+9)

What does Keliwyn see? Any locks, potential traps, or anything unusual?


"Go to the temple of the First Lord, gnome and offer your penance there. If someone asks tell them, I sent you there for absolution."

Inigo follows the rest of the gang.


sorry for brevity and dryness of post. just want to keep you moving though.

Keliwyn: no sign of traps (24) nothing heard through the door (16)

Iñigo wrote:

"Go to the temple of the First Lord, gnome and offer your penance there. If someone asks tell them, I sent you there for absolution."

Inigo follows the rest of the gang.

The gnome pales somewhat at the mention of the Temple of the Iron Fist, but nods grimly. " Temple of the First Lord .... " Then grins more hardily, "Who are you?" Who who who whooo


Male Human Fighter 3/ Paladin 2

As Inigo deals with the gnome, Jeorik scoots down the ladder behind the elf.


CrimsonDM wrote:


The gnome pales somewhat at the mention of the Temple of the Iron Fist, but nods grimly. " Temple of the First Lord .... " Then grins more hardily, "Who are you?" Who who who whooo

"I am Inigo."


Iñigo wrote:
CrimsonDM wrote:


The gnome pales somewhat at the mention of the Temple of the Iron Fist, but nods grimly. " Temple of the First Lord .... " Then grins more hardily, "Who are you?" Who who who whooo
"I am Inigo."

"I'll remember your name."

***

Iñigo descends the ladder. He stands in the twilight area under the building behind Jeorik, Darthen and Keliwyn.

No apparent tricks or traps. Kelwiyn's closest to the door. Cautiously the elf reaches out and opens the latch. He gently pushes inward, but the door move a mere half-fingerwidth before stopping firmly. It has obviously been barred from the inside.


Male Human Fighter 3/ Paladin 2

"Are we going to have to break it open then?"


Looks likely. But, this sounds like a plea for alternatives. Because I am a great, benevolent and powerful DM. (Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!)

Everyone may try a DC 18 spot check for this:

Spoiler:
Halfway along the foundation to the north, the river eddies oddly, a soft sucking gurgle sometimes accompanies the odd little rushes of water. Perhaps there is a hole in the foundation just below the river's surface.


Male Human Fighter 3/ Paladin 2

Spot: (1d20=19)

Jeorik says softly, "If we wanted to brave the river, we might be able to go in underneath. I must admit, I left my crowbar with my mule for safe keeping."


Spot (1d20+4=19)

"Yeah, I see that too."


Male Elf Rogue 6

Keliwyn takes the spear and resumes a position behind Darthen, and while passing him, says "Have at it, big guy."


From the street, you hear a series of cries, shouts and yells. Distance and the lapping of the river make the words indistinct.


OK. You need a plan. You can brave the smelly, opaquely brown river or break down the door, which is in no better condition than the rest of the building. Or you can surprise me.


Male Human Fighter 3/ Paladin 2

I think Keliwyn was suggesting Darthen break down the door.


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 3(favoured class)

Heather had shrunk back after the charming of the half orc..the casual violence of the men she was with stunned her as she realised she was not prepared for this. When Inigo cut down the half orc without a qualm and then proceeded to attack children she almost screamed her protests at him but found herself to scared lest he turn on her.

Spotting her Nephew she grabbed the boy and hustled him out of the presence of the fight her only thought being to get him away before things turned into a massacre.Reaching the front door however she could not help but notice the growing sounds of a mob in the vicinity.

Deciding the evil she knows is a better proposition than the unknown reactions of the mob she hides the boy under the front desk with strict instructions to stay there till she returns and makes herway back to the room to find her somewhat bloodied comrades descending to a lower level

With a strict abjuration to them not to look she hitches up her skirts and begins to climb down after them. She finds herself wanting to look in the face of Lamm before he faces the final justice.


Male Human Fighter 3/ Paladin 2

"Hello Heather," says Jeorik softly, "I thought you had left us. I don't suppose you have a magical means for opening locked doors? If not Darthen is going to bust it down I think."


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 3(favoured class)

Heather shakes her head.."I'm afraid that particular form of manipulation is beyond me at the moment...by the way theres a mob forming in the streets..I don't know what for but they don't sound friendly"


A worried look briefly touches his face. Whispering to the others, "Lets find this Lamm and be done with this place. If they get to rowdy they could set this tinderbox on fire and us with it."

Darthen tries the door to see if it is unlocked. Does it swing in or out?


Darthen wrote:
Darthen tries the door to see if it is unlocked. Does it swing in or out?

The door swings in. It is unlocked, but barred on the inside, at least it moves a fingerwidth before stopping.


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 3(favoured class)

Thanks for the free spell Thom..it will of course be Charm Person and I'm quite happy with the character as is

Heather waits with bated breath for what happens next. It's as if the world waits with her


Welcome, Heather.

In case you are shopping for religion, let me know. :D


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 3(favoured class)

Heather gives the Asmodean priest a sceptical look...somehow, she thinks, the Prince of Lies isn't quite the god for her


CrimsonDM wrote:
Darthen wrote:
Darthen tries the door to see if it is unlocked. Does it swing in or out?
The door swings in. It is unlocked, but barred on the inside, at least it moves a fingerwidth before stopping.

Darthen tries to catch a glimpse of the room beyond through the small opening.

Whispering back to the others, "I don't know if we can break this down in these tight quarters." Looking at the spot the others noticed in the water. "One of you want to try and see where that leads?"


Male Human Fighter 3/ Paladin 2

"I can't swim," admits Jeorik somewhat sheepishly.


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 3(favoured class)

Local knowledge 1d20+5=13

Heather wracks her brains..

is that good enough to remember about the sharks


Heather of Korvosa II wrote:
is that good enough to remember about the sharks

Yes, that will recall the sharks. One of the characters, I think Jeorik, has seen a shark in the river.

The door's wood is soft and punky. If you start bashing, its Hardness = 4, (subtract 4 from your damage rolls) . The damage required to smash it open is 8 hp.

Someone will have to brave the river to find out more about the hole in the foundation.


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 3(favoured class)

"I wouldn't advise swimming" Heather says softly "you might find yourself with more company than you would care for. There are sharks in there"


Male Elf Rogue 6
Darthen wrote:


Whispering back to the others, "I don't know if we can break this down in these tight quarters." Looking at the spot the others noticed in the water. "One of you want to try and see where that leads?"

Eyeing the water around them, Keliwyn gives Darthen a pat on the back and says, "C'mon, Darthen, you can turn that door into kindling. Give it a good whack."


Um my post was eaten apparently. Ugh, I need to remember to check that before I close everything down. Here is a synopsis of what I typed earlier.

Darthen eyes the water. Whispering to the others he says, "Even without sharks I don't think I would hazard a swim in that stuff." A quick look at the others, "Right then, give me a hand with this door and lets see if we can find this Lamm and be done with this affair. I have a hot meal and a cold ale waiting for me."

I rolled a 20 at IC with 3 damage. Not enough to even put a dent on the door.

Try as he might, Darthen is unable to get a strong enough swing in to do any real damage.

BTW, while I was out on lunch I passed a car with the license plate "LAMM". Coincidence? I think not. I almost decided to run him off the road and grab hit loot. :D


Darthen wrote:

Um my post was eaten apparently. Ugh, I need to remember to check that before I close everything down. Here is a synopsis of what I typed earlier.

Darthen eyes the water. Whispering to the others he says, "Even without sharks I don't think I would hazard a swim in that stuff." A quick look at the others, "Right then, give me a hand with this door and lets see if we can find this Lamm and be done with this affair. I have a hot meal and a cold ale waiting for me."

I rolled a 20 at IC with 3 damage. Not enough to even put a dent on the door.

Try as he might, Darthen is unable to get a strong enough swing in to do any real damage.

BTW, while I was out on lunch I passed a car with the license plate "LAMM". Coincidence? I think not. I almost decided to run him off the road and grab hit loot. :D

He's stalking you.

It's a door. No to hit roll required. But what you need is a nice smashing weapon. Something you can wield 2 handed. Something to put the fear of the infinite into that door.


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 3(favoured class)

"My father has ofttimes spoken of the need for wariors to...ahhh... force their way through a door...could you not...ummm...improvise a ram....of some sort?"

Heather sounds hesitant as if expecting these fighting men to laugh at her suggestion.She does look around for a suitably heavy object though


There's no battering ram type objects down here.

If you guys are going to smash the door open you will succeed eventually. Just tell me who is doing it with what tool, piercing weapons need not apply. I'll let you know how it goes.


"I think I have a solution but it requires you guys dousing that door with as much oil as you have."

Converting one CLW to Burning Hands then after the fire has burned out we can just smash the weakened door easily.


Male Elf Rogue 6

Listening to Inigo, Keliwyn looks at him, then Darthen, then him again. "Hey, Inigo, how about a wack or two with your mace?"

No attack roll necessary, so just make a whole batch of damage rolls. If it takes ten or twelve, so be it. Remember, hardness of 4, but only 8 total hp of damage once we get around that.


<Sigh>

"I just wanted a little flame... but no, you want me to whack the door."

Damage (1d8+1=8, 1d8+1=8, 1d8+1=6, 1d8+1=4, 1d8+1=2, 1d8+1=7, 1d8+1=8, 1d8+1=7, 1d8+1=7, 1d8+1=3)

Say when....


Male Elf Rogue 6

"Thanks, although the idea of burning that low-life exploiter of children is appealing, I'm afraid it might take too long or get out of control. Not to mention, if they have another exit, it might well mask their escape."

I think the first two wacks were enough, n'cest pas?


Male Human Fighter 3/ Paladin 2

Wincing with the loud sound of each blow, Jeorik keeps an arrow nocked on his bow string.

"There has to be a better way to do this," he remarks to no one in particular with a shake of his head, "Remind me to buy a sledge hammer when we leave here."


I knew the mace was the right tool for the job. Look at those damage rolls.

At Inigo's first blow the door splinters, but holds. The second blow shatters two of the planks. As Inigo reaches in to dismount the bar a third plank suddenly splinters and explodes outward. Something streaks past the party, glances off an overhead beam and flashes into
the river. The door swings open halfway to the right, then stops again.

Give me an order of battle if you please, Inigo is up front, Heather in the rear, so I just need to know Darthen, Keliwyn, and Jeorik. Because you're lined up someone roll once for party initiative. Inigo gets that number, each person behind him is successively 1 lower.

Something heavy blocks the door. Whatever it is also grunts as the door stops. 60' straight ahead an old man swears, then lowers his crossbow and runs north. more description to come as you push your way inside.

I thought for sure I'd get someone with the crossbow ambush through the door. InvisibleCastle saves you again.


I also knew Inigio was the one for this task. Thanks for clearing that up for us. :)

As Inigio describes what he is about to do with the fire, Darthen, catches Kelywin's look. He raises an eyebrow at the elf wondering if he is thinking the same thing.

As the first blow tears into the door he readies his shield and sword.

I would assume I am after Inigio. If one of the others wants to go before me just let us know.

Init Roll (1d20=9)

Oh well, acting near the end of combat has its advantages, right?


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 3(favoured class)

Heather watches the priest of Asmodeus smash the door with impunity..

'Such a pity he's irredeemably damned' she thinks..then berates herself 'Ah well...you swore off men remember'

She flinches as the crossbow bolt flies past and then sets her countenance as Lamm comes into view


Male Elf Rogue 6

As Inigo smashes the door like it's a penitent sinner, Keliwyn, now third in line, turns and nods to Jeorik, and asks "Do you want you spear back?"


Male Human Fighter 3/ Paladin 2

Jeorik answers Keliwyn, "You can hold on to it for the moment if you want, I have both sword and bow."

DM, could Jeorik see the man inside from his place four people back. If so, as he had an arrow at the ready, could he get off an arrow?


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 3(favoured class)

Heather is quite happy to put the people with armour in front of her . She watches the old man as he moves away...Is that Lamm..surely that old man isn't a criminal Mastermind.

Realising that she will have to revise her opinion of certain stereotypes Heather follows the rest of the party


The inside of the room still smells of fish and the river. As you enter you can see why. There's a large hole in the floor. Wooden pillars support the roof. Dust, moss, mold and cobwebs line the walls and hang from the ceiling. Everywhere there's junk. It's strewn about the place; it's overflowing tables along the north wall. (Although the junk's been pushed off one table onto the floor and a small chest sits on the table.)

Jeorik Vandor wrote:
DM, could Jeorik see the man inside from his place four people back. If so, as he had an arrow at the ready, could he get off an arrow?

Wicht, I'd have to rule he's got at least 75% (probably 90)cover, and , as that cover is made up of your comrades, it would be a very high risk shot. You can take it if you wish, but a miss is likely to be very messy. Safest to wait 6-12 seconds. Or have everyone duck.

Inside the door is a 60x90' room. Columns run north to south. Westernmost column is A; Easternmost is F. Rows run east to west. Northernmost is 9;southernmost, 1. The party enters square F1 from the east. Lamm starts in A1. There's a big rectangular hole in the floor B2-E6. There's walls blocking off a small room in the NW corner A9-C8. The rest of the north wall is occupied by tables and cabinets.

Initiative:
Lamm 15
Special Surprise 15

Inigo 9
Darthen 8
Keliwyn 7
Jeorik 6
Heather 5

First order of business: getting through the door. It's a tight squeeze. You can each use a move action to get through as it is. Or you can push it further open with a DC 16 strength check. The 2 people behind the pusher can "aid another."

Lamm steps 20' north to avoid missile fire and reloads.


As Iñigo struggles with the door, Lamm struggles to reload. He keeps a cautious eye on the priest's progress. After a second he blurts venemously, "YOU'RE the one they call the Hammer, aren't you. Your god understands how to seize a profit. That's all I ever did. Why are you coming after me? Tell you what, join my gang. I'll cut you in for a good piece of the action." He's got the crossbow cocked, and loads a quarrel. " There's enough to go around."

One advantage to PbP is the DM can get the whole BBEG speech in before the party silences him.

Wicht, Lamm's new position will be within view when you make it to the door.

1,101 to 1,150 of 7,032 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / thereal thom's All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.