Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

thereal thom's

Game Master therealthom

Crimson Throne


5,801 to 5,850 of 6,976 << first < prev | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | next > last >>

Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2

With his greater speed from the boots Emerion races ahead.


When the swarm reaches Arkminos' bedroom, it circles the warm ashen remains of the bed three times. Then it flows back to the zombie room. It reaches the broken corner of the glass floor and begins to dive into the still writhing mass of zombies at this end.

Channel has a range of 30'. Istas was at one end of the room when she channeled. The room is longer than that, ergo the 'zombies' at one end of the pit are still moving.


The tide of insects starts to seep into cracks and crevices in the walls of the pit.

Following Ramoska may be difficult.


Female Human (Shoanti) Cleric 6

Grim-faced, Istas calls upon the power of her goddess once more as she stands over the remaining zombies.

Channel positive energy... 4d6 ⇒ (1, 5, 5, 2) = 13
DC 17 Will save for half damage.

In case that isn't enough..
Channel positive energy again... 4d6 ⇒ (6, 5, 1, 2) = 14

"Can we find a way through?" she asks, "If he has a coffin down there, there must be a means for having gotten it there..."


Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Emerion searches around for any secret passages or switches, even loose stones. If he fails to find them, he starts levering up the stones with his prybar.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21


Emerion squeezes down into the pit with the now quite irrevocably dead corpses. Despite a diligent search no secret passages turn up. A few minutes work leaves him facing a second layer of spread out brick, and beyond that heavier stones and fill.

Perception DC 20 or Engineering or Dungeoneering DC 15:
The zombie pit doubles as a drain. The first layer of brick acts as an ornamental sieve. The second provides structural support and allows water flow. Careful observe indicates a gentle slpe to the floor. There is probably a pipe in the southeast corner.


Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Knowledge (engineering): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

I knew being a scholar would come in handy at some point!

Emerion pauses, then lays the pry-bar carefully on the exposed stones and squints at the angle it makes.

"South east corner, there has to be an outflow for drainage," he mutters, and makes his way there and starts levering up stones once more.


Female Human (Shoanti) Cleric 6

"Heather? Is there any magic that might enable us to follow him?"


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class) |AC 14 Init+5 Perc+8 FRW 3/3/7

"Nothing at my disposal Istas..We'd need a dimension door or gaseous form..passwall would be the best..and disintegrate would solve everything but those are well beyond my abilities at present.I think we have lost him and would suggest we get up above ground where he will be at a disadvantage if he returns to confront us again."


Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2

"He might," Emerion pauses. "That drainage pipe could lead for hundreds of yards into the sewers. Who knows from there?" he shakes his head.


Well spoken. Well thought.

The elevator is "up". You are "down". It's a DC 20 climb up to the floor of the elevator.

This little challenge should be no trouble. Right?


Male Elf Rogue 6

Perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

"If he's fled to the sewers, he could be anywhere," Keliwyn says. "I suggest we give him up as gone, and considering how badly Istas torched him, I doubt we have to worry about him returning."

Climb 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Once everyone is agreement, and they look to finally leave the dungeon complex, Keliwyn climbs up to the elevator, and brings it back down for the others. "Going up?" he asks with a smile.


This IS the internet you know ... Alegedly human Expert (IT) 5/Ninja 3/Witch 7

I seem to remember when we liberated people, Emerion rode up there with them, then down again to avoid just this problem.


Keliwyn is able to climb up to the bottom of the elevator, but there is no room for him to squeeze around it and go higher. Fortunately the guardsmen on the first floor hear him call and the elevator is soon descending for you.

Indeed Emerion did. Think about it. My next post will contain the answer.


Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2

"Damn, I think I know what has happened, someone tried to get out..." Emerion mutters. "I wonder if the guards let them past?"


Female Human (Shoanti) Cleric 6

"It was probably Ruan," Istas states, "We've found no sign of him elsewhere. And it would make sense that Ramoska would send him out of the hospice. Perhaps to rejoin him and escape to an emergency coffin he keeps elsewhere in Korvosa?"


Excellent! All my secrets discovered. Well done.

Before boarding the elevator, Fina will try to give you the greatsword, "It's not regulation. I can't carry it."

You should get bonus points for keeping her alive. I had sent her along as a red shirt.

****

You are greeted happily and with some surprise as you step out of the elevator. A grizzled old veteran of the Guard explains, "... that last lad you saved, the young Varisian, he said that you told him to tell us not to look for you until sundown. We didn't expect you for hours yet."

Inevitably ... "He's over there with the others."

Equally inevitably, he isn't.

****

Any immediate actions?

In a day or two you'll get a nice public ceremony. You've also got the party at the Carowyn's to thank you for rescuing them at Lavender's.

After that, a bit of downtime.

Oh and regards the party -- can you each give me a rough estimate to the nearest 1,000 gp of your cash and gear.


Female Human (Shoanti) Cleric 6

Istas nods as she already knew...or suspected...the information shared by the grizzled veteran of the Korvosan Guard. To her companions, she softly notes, "Like many of the intelligent undead, nosferatu always seek to deceive and evade. But in their ignorance, they also forget themselves. After all, who can deceive or evade the Lady of Graves? There is no secret kept from her. And no fate that can be avoided forever."

While the others go about conversing with the Guard...or checking in on the victims of Davaulus' hospice, Istas pulls away, finding a quiet place on the corner to herself so she can offer a prayer to her goddess:

"Thank you for the path you led us to walk. And the trials which we faced together. Thank you all the more for rewarding our faith and guiding our steps. I am ever grateful to serve in your name."

"My only regret is the loss of the one called Ruan, my Lady...and our inability to send the nosferatu Ramoska Arkminos to your judgement. He is long overdue. If you would see us bring that one's fate to an end, guide me once more and I will seek him out. Otherwise, if the path you've laid out for me requires a different duty to the city of Korvosa, let me know. I am forever and always...your dutiful servant."

Casting divination as the new 4th level domain spell granted by Istas' use of the one-time Pharasmin artifact in the hospice. Essentially, Istas is asking her goddess for guidance in pursuing Ramoska Arkminos and Ruan. Should she give chase? And, if so, where and how? The spell has a 77% chance for a correct divination. It has an instantaneous casting time, so it shouldn't take long. And Pharasma's response can be as cryptic as you'd like to make it. I'm mostly using this spell to enhance the roleplaying potential and give you a chance to steer things storywise in whatever direction helps tie off the way things need to go to carry forward from here.


Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Emerion will chat to the rescued people and see if anyone saw which way Ruan snuck off.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class) |AC 14 Init+5 Perc+8 FRW 3/3/7

And with a bit off luck we wont have to force the recall of every copy of chapter 5 off Carrion crown..lol..

Heather rolls her eyes and whispers to Kel.

"Will of Pharasma?..hmmph..Will off Istas Wraithscar more likely..I mean I like her but sometimes she is just too..Intense you know"


Istas:
A vision in grey. Istas stands at an intersection near the Halls of Justice. Looking to the east she ees a cart with a funereal casket in it trundling toward the North Bridge. (Which points east as it crosses the Jeggare River.) In the vision she knows Arkminos is in it. Beyond the bridge a road stretches east and south. Without choice or impulse on her part, her gaze slides leftward until she is looking at the stone bridge crossing to Old Korvosa. A giant snarling tiger stands man-like, straddling the island. Her father's spear lifts itself and glides through the air toward the bridge.

Bonus points for the prayer.


Male Elf Rogue 6
Heather Whiteraven wrote:


"Will of Pharasma?..hmmph..Will off Istas Wraithscar more likely..I mean I like her but sometimes she is just too..Intense you know"

"Intense is an understatement, my dear, and I'd rather have not fought Arkminos, but we came through it okay," Keliwyn replies, while silently acknowledging to himself how completely ineffective he was against the undead.

Turning his attention to the crowd, Keliwyn follows Emerion's lead and starts asking questions about Ruan.

diplomacy 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28


Apparently Ruan excused himself, "bathroom", "tired", "need a breath of air", stories vary slightly. And he's gone.


Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2

"No sign of Ruan here, somebody outside might have seen which way he went," Enerion reports back.


Female Human (Shoanti) Cleric 6

Istas returns just as Emerion provides his update.

"He took the North Bridge. Over the Jeggare and then east," she states matter-of-factly, more than a little unsettling with the surety of her divine insight. How does she know these things? "Ramoska is with him. In a funeral casket. Loaded into a small cart. They're leaving Korvosa."

She pauses and surveys the huddled victims from the hospice, her face just as impassive and inscrutable as always...but there's a distance to her eyes, as if she's looking through the Varisians and beyond them now.

"Pharasma wills us to let them go. Our path will take us elsewhere. Into Old Korvosa where a new threat is gathering strength. But this one...seems different."

The priestess finally shakes free of her reverie. Even her bones feel tired. Was this how Thousand Bones felt everyday in his dealings with the Southlanders?

"We should report to the Commander. She'll need to know what happened here. What we found, at least. And I need to update Bishop d'Bears, as well. The Pharasmin should ensure the hospice is truly cleansed. And I intend to study the books we took from Rolth, as well as the diseased samples in the nosferatu's laboratory. A cure for bloodveil should be possible soon. In the meantime, the priesthoods of Korvosa must put the Queen's Physicians to the sword and redouble their efforts to care for the sick. I'll do what I can to aid in that effort. But the larger problem must be solved first. We need that cure. And we should ensure the Guard lets no one into that hospice until d'Bears and the Commander tell them otherwise."

"If you have need of me, find me at the cathedral again."

She starts to depart and then hesitates.

"Thank you all for your efforts in ridding Korvosa of Urgathoa's taint. In the fated waters of Pharasma, you chose your course wisely. And we are all rewarded for it. Be at peace. I'm sure our paths will cross again soon."


Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2

"Until we meet again," Emerion nods to Istas. "I have too many friends in Old Korvosa. We need to get over there, and soon. Let's update Marshal Croft."


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class) |AC 14 Init+5 Perc+8 FRW 3/3/7

Heather turns to the Sergeant commanding the guard.

"Make certain Rolth's body is kept seperate from the others..you will easily recognise him.Just look for the fattest man there.The Academe should be informed off his demise."

She smiles inwardly at the thought off all those stuffy old wizards with their prejudices against sorcerers havig to acknowledge this victory

"Aye let us go and report our success to the Field Marshal"


Aah the temporal vagaries of visions. I should mention a dreamy languor filled the vision. No sense of urgency at all. Ramoska is still scuttling through sewers.

Heather, you vindictive old soul, you.

FMCC visitors:
It is a bleary-eyed, tousle-headed Field Marshal who welcomes you into her office after her secretary keeps you waiting in the antechamber for a few minutes. She offers you seats and slumps into her own chair behind her desk. " Are {presumably Istas and any other missing party members } all right?" are the first words out of her mouth.

If you choose to sit on the couch read the next spoiler, if you pass the DC.

FMCC couch sitters, Perception DC 14:
The couch is warm. A wool olive drab blanket is folded and jammed between the couch back and the wall.

ABDB visitors (Istas and ?):
Archbishop d'Bears arches a quizzical eyebrow as you enter the small garden behind the main temple. She is sitting on a bench surrounded by raked white stone, flanked by ferns and azaleas.


Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Emerion is visiting the Marshal with Heather.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

"Yes, all of us, Fina included, made it out in one piece, although it was touch and go at some points. I'm troubled, though, about what is going on in Old Korvosa."


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class) |AC 14 Init+5 Perc+8 FRW 3/3/7

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

If Heather has any questions about the recent occupant off the couch she keeps them to herself though she has her suspicions that it was the Field Marshal herself.

"We have ended the immediate threat to the city I think Ma'am.It was as we suspected a nest of Urgathoans led by a High Priestess and assisted in their endeavours by the notorious Necromancer Rolth..neither off them will be troubling the peace of Korvosa again"

"We also drove off a powerful Ustalavian Nosferatu..You might want to put the word out for the road patrols to watch for a cart carrying a single coffin..but they should merely make sure it departs the cities lands..I wouldnt put any more people at risk from that particular creature, he nearly had us"


Female Human (Shoanti) Cleric 6

After sighting Bishop D'Bears, Istas lowers her head in reverence and approaches. "I've returned," she states as simply as she can, "And our enemies shall face Pharasma's judgement in the Boneyard. It is as we feared...and as our Lady's vision indicated. A cult of Urgathoa was responsible for the outbreak of bloodveil. A necromancer and a nosferatu were allies to a high priestess of the Pallid Princess named Lady Andaisin. All are now slain by our hand, with the exception of the undead. That one escaped, but he will trouble Korvosa no more."

"The artifact you gave us proved...useful. It replenished our strength at a time when we needed it most...a time which I'm sure Pharasma foresaw. It's what enabled us to drive away the nosferatu and emerge unscathed from the hospice. Many samples of disease, including great vats containing bloodveil are still there. We've asked the Korvosan Guard to contain the area until the Pharasmin can cleanse it fully. And the various priesthoods of the city will have their hands full for quite sometime, I imagine, as they not only look after the victims we rescued from that place, but as they put down the Queen's Physicians."

Istas retrieves the books she took from Rolth's laboratory. "These should prove useful in finding a cure for bloodveil. I intend to study them to lend what aid I can to their recovery effort. After that, I believe a new threat will soon challenge the city. When I used the artifact, some of its power...clung to me...like how a baptism in our Lady's waters lingers with us for a short time until we're dry again. In that time, a new vision came to me. A tiger will be unleashed in Old Korvosa. And we must be ready for it."


Loose end . Fina doesn't go to the Citadel with you. She's scooped by by a high ranking Maiden almost immediately and hustled away.

At Citadel Volshynek:

With her temple propped on one hand, Field Marshal Cressida Croft listens silently to Heather and Emerion's report, but her eyes drift away for seconds at a time, then snap back to them while they speak. She takes notes in a small cramped hand. Occasionally she forgets to wet the quill and asks you to stop so she can dip it in ink and catch up.

Comments in passing --

"I'm glad Fina is all right. She was a good Guardsman."

"What do you think is happening in Old Korvosa?"

"You've settled Rolth then? That's a bonus I hadn't expected. And an Urgathoan priestess as well? Interesting? Not what--" She stops and restarts, "You mentioned earlier concerns about a -- conspiracy in the government. Did you find any concrete evidence?"

"A nosferatu in a coffin? How can you be sure it will be leaving?" Upon expanded explanation, she'll nod and murmur, "My men couldn't handle a creature like that anyway. I hope Istas is right about it leaving."

When you're done she sighs and nods. "You've done very well. The City owes you a debt of honor. I'm sure that some reward will be organized for you. Until it becomes official, I hope you'll accept my thanks."


In Grey:

The Bishop accepts Istas' assurance that the nosferatu will trouble the city no more with equanimity.

She tilts her head while Istas describes the artifact and interrupts to ask whether it survives.

d'Bears accepts the books and implied charge to cleanse the basement temple. "Now I miss Father Corvin keenly. He would glean the most from these texts, and know best how to purify the Pallid One's temple. We will do the best we can in his absence."

Her eyes narrow as Istas describes her vision. "All prophecy is clouded since Aroden's death. If you are Pharasma's instrument for its true return, I envy you, and I do not. The future can be as heavy a burden as the past."

Finally, "What do you make of this tiger? Surely it is a symbol of something else. Your Harrower friend may have some ideas. They must always deal in symbols. "


Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2
CrimsonDM wrote:
"What do you think is happening in Old Korvosa?"

"I have no idea," Emerion replies, his expression tense. "But I have many friends in there, people I can talk to if I can get in - and I am fairly sure that's not impossible."

CrimsonDM wrote:
"You've settled Rolth then? That's a bonus I hadn't expected. And an Urgathoan priestess as well? Interesting? Not what--" She stops and restarts, "You mentioned earlier concerns about a -- conspiracy in the government. Did you find any concrete evidence?"

"Nothing save the words of Deavalus and the Urgothoans," Emerion snorts in disgust. "All we have are the doctors journals and notes. It would prove that he had a hand in the plague, but unless he has a letter from the Queen herself directing him to do it, I don't see anything to tie her in."


Female Human (Shoanti) Cleric 6
CrimsonDM wrote:
The Bishop...tilts her head while Istas describes the artifact and interrupts to ask whether it survives.

"It does not. Once used, it shattered."

CrimsonDM wrote:
...d'Bears accepts the books and implied charge to cleanse the basement temple. "Now I miss Father Corvin keenly. He would glean the most from these texts, and know best how to purify the Pallid One's temple. We will do the best we can in his absence."

"Father Corvin taught me as well as he could. If there's anything I can add to those efforts, let me know."

CrimsonDM wrote:
"All prophecy is clouded since Aroden's death. If you are Pharasma's instrument for its true return, I envy you, and I do not. The future can be as heavy a burden as the past."

"I will bear whatever burden Pharasma has seen fit to give me," Istas replies, "She knows what path the river must take. And I am willing to let its currents carry me to my assigned destiny."

CrimsonDM wrote:
"What do you make of this tiger? Surely it is a symbol of something else. Your Harrower friend may have some ideas. They must always deal in symbols."

"Perhaps it's a totem? My people often use animals to embody certain ideals and spiritual connections with the land. But I don't know why a tiger...or those revering one...would find a connection here in Korvosa. I'll seek our Lady's guidance in prayer and consult with my friend."


Emerion Brightsmith wrote:


"I have no idea," Emerion replies, his expression tense. "But I have many friends in there, people I can talk to if I can get in - and I am fairly sure that's not impossible."

"Nothing save the words of Deavalus and the Urgothoans," Emerion snorts in disgust. "All we have are the doctors journals and notes. It would prove that he had a hand in the plague, but unless he has a letter from the Queen herself directing him to do it, I don't see anything to tie her in."

"Then tread lightly and keep looking. Carefully."

****************

CrimsonDM wrote:
The Bishop... interrupts to ask whether it survives.
Istas Wraithscar wrote:
"It does not. Once used, it shattered."

Softly, "Shade. But how were we to know? Fate works without regard to our wishes."

CrimsonDM wrote:
...d'Bears ... "Now I miss Father Corvin keenly. ... We will do the best we can in his absence."
Istas Wraithscar wrote:
"Father Corvin taught me as well as he could. If there's anything I can add to those efforts, let me know."

"Very well. The task is yours. Let me know what you require."

CrimsonDM wrote:
"All prophecy is clouded since Aroden's death. If you are Pharasma's instrument for its true return, I envy you, and I do not. The future can be as heavy a burden as the past."
Istas Wraithscar wrote:
"I will bear whatever burden Pharasma has seen fit to give me," Istas replies, "She knows what path the river must take. And I am willing to let its currents carry me to my assigned destiny."

AMEN, SISTER!

CrimsonDM wrote:
"What do you make of this tiger? Surely it is a symbol of something else. Your Harrower friend may have some ideas. They must always deal in symbols."
Istas Wraithscar wrote:
"Perhaps it's a totem? My people often use animals to embody certain ideals and spiritual connections with the land. But I don't know why a tiger...or those revering one...would find a connection here in Korvosa. I'll seek our Lady's guidance in prayer and consult with my friend."

"Then go. Walk your destined path."


Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2

"Then by your leave, Marshal, we will do just that. I'll see if I can find a way into Old Korvosa, past the guards, unless you know of one?"

I presume we have a pre-arranged meeting place & time to gather again?


"The Maidens control the stone bridge, but if I write you a pass, they should honor it. Getting back out may be more problematic. They are not likely to accept a paper order. Can you contact me magically? Then I could meet you at the bridge."


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class) |AC 14 Init+5 Perc+8 FRW 3/3/7

I'm afraid magial communications are not my strong point Ma'am..but perhaps we could arrange a more..mundane signal..all that would be needed would be for someone to watch a prearranged spot and some agreed form of signal that only we would know?"


"I suppose that I could have someone watch a particular window in one of the tenements on the Strait. A blue cloth in the window or something would tell me to come at noon."


Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Emerion pauses for a moment to think of someone in the tenements lining the Narrows of Saint Alika.

"The Degammas," he says. "Old acquaintances," he adds by way of explanation. "They work in my family's forges. Fifth tenement west of the bridge stone bridge between the boulevards, they have small overhanging balcony on the straits, you cannot miss it. If they're still alive, they''ll put out a flag for us."


Given your background, you know somebody on the Strait of Alika. The Degammas, a settled Varisian family that owns the fifth tenement west of the bridge. Their apartment occupies the entire second floor. There is a even a small balcony overhanging the Strait.


Female Human (Shoanti) Cleric 6

An interlude, mostly for flavor and to help move the story along. Feel free to adjust however you see fit.

Bone-tired, Istas makes her way back to her quarters at the temple. She's been gone so many times...and given the life-changing events she's experienced over the past few weeks...it's almost as if she doesn't recognize the place any longer. Like it's a temporary home in an inn on her way to somewhere else.

She removes her pack and then her armor and weapons. Finally, she seeks out a bath and changes into a fresh set of robes...her others having become somewhat threadbare and ripped from the many battles she'd endured. Once clean, she joins her brothers and sisters for the evening meal. The acolytes seem younger to her, or perhaps she just feels older? She dines in silence and alone, staying aloof as her mind ponders the mysteries of bloodveil and the damage wrought by Urgathoa's cult.

'I know I can create a cure,' she tells herself, 'Pharasma wouldn't have led me to those books and samples if it wasn't a task she felt I was ready to perform. But once a cure is had, where best to apply it so the city recovers as quickly as possible?'

She pauses as she sips her cup of water, letting the ice-cold liquid calm and center her. For some reason, the nosferatu Ramoska springs to mind. Why was he experimenting on the patients in the hospice? And why was he so attached to the one patient in his laboratory? Then a realization starts to dawn on her.

Ruan was a Varisian. And yet he hadn't contracted bloodveil yet? That seemed odd. Yet Ramoska was testing all sorts of other strains on him. Why? 'Vampirism is a disease, too,' she reminded herself, 'Perhaps the nosferatu wanted to determine just how far Ruan's resistance could go? And, for him to single out Ruan...a Varisian...that must mean he'd found something unique about their ethnicity.'

Could the Varisians be more resistant to bloodveil? Istas tried to recall just how many Varisian families she might have seen who were affected by the disease. There were some. Certainly. But mostly the young and the old. Those who would succumb to even a normal ailment, much less bloodveil. Yet, the hale and the hearty? She couldn't recall a Varisian laid low in the prime of their life by bloodveil. 'Maybe that's what drew Ramoska to experiment on Ruan?' she thought, 'And, if that theory is true...perhaps the blood of a healthy Varisian can aid in a cure for Urgathoa's disease?

The priestess rose from her table and drained her cup of water. It seemed she had a cause to conduct some experimentation of her own. Hurrying back to her room, she withdrew the books they'd recover from Rolth's collection...as well as a sample of bloodveil. This would be a start. But she'd soon need a volunteer to aid her. A Varisian volunteer...

Relevant skill checks (but I'm not sure if the books add any kind of circumstance bonus)...
Heal check... 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (9) + 14 = 23
Knowledge (nature) check... 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Craft (alchemy) check... 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23


Beautifully written. Alas, a few hours study may convince Istas that although she gleans some ideas from the books, she isn't Arbus Corvin. There are three or four very likely possibilities and a half dozen more longer shots.

Shaken confidence may lead her to re-examine her memory and find many Varisians in the prime of life did perish. Although someone did say something about Varisian infection rates and mortality.

She has friends that could help if asked....


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class) |AC 14 Init+5 Perc+8 FRW 3/3/7

After her meeting with the Field Marshal Heather drags herself back to her apartment intent on a long hot bath and a good nights sleep.Still something continues to bother her..she lies on the , her mind flitting from one event of the recent past to another seeking to find a pattern, some reason, for the troubles besetting her beloved City.

Eventually she can take no more off this ..she rises picks up the Harrow Deck from beside her bed and places it on the table before her..

"Come forth Zellara" she whispers


Male Elf Rogue 6

Keliwyn leaves the others as they go about their separate ways, and makes his own way back to Bower House to report to Ambassador Kalissreavil. On the way, he ponders every thing he's been through, and what it means for his adopted city. Not the least among his thoughts are the still missing Seneschal, the enigmatic Laori, the Red Mantis and the lost artist they seem to be after.


Emerion:
He finds the family manse dark and empty, but the fireplace is still warm. A note left on the small table beside the door says that they have gone to Uncle Andrezi's house with plans to leave in the morning or noon.

Heather:
A whisper-faint strain of violin, the presence of a ghost. Flirtatiously there and gone. Imagination, or is the old fortuneteller lingering nearby in want of encouragement?

Wellard, do you want some RP or were you edging toward the chapter 3 Harrowing and would you like to do it or me?

Istas:
Morning the next day. Istas awakes at her desk exhausted and surrounded by books.

Neil, as I said in the discussion thread. I didn't mean to shut Istas down. This is a big job and I'd like a chance to RP some of it. I ken two who could be a great help and Heather might remember others.

Keliwyn:
Kalissreavil is glad to hear your report, this time in his office. He listens in a formal attitude of polite attention, but his grey eyes search your face the entire time.

"You've done well. These exploits will reflect well on you, and by extension our people. I sincerely applaud your success." He pdraws a new breath. "At the risk of sounding ungrateful have you made any progress in the matter of the artist and the courtier?'


Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Emerion secures the house and rests. When he rises, he seeks out Heather.


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class) |AC 14 Init+5 Perc+8 FRW 3/3/7

DM

Spoiler:
I'm edging towards the harrowing and I'll point out that the MAJOR IMAGE of Zellara comes forth on my command. I do think it will be best if you do the chapter 3 harrowing and could you record the cards drawn on the campaign page thank you.

As she stares at the deck on the table heather is disturbed by a rap on the door..answering it cautiously with spells prepared she finds Emerion on the doorstep..

"Well, don't just stand there, come in" she snaps at him not even bothered by the fact that her old friend is seeing her in her nightdress.

She returns to the table and picks up the cards again.."Zellara I need you"


Male Human, Varisian +6 Init, AC23/19/14, F+6/R+10/W+4, HP55/55, Per+11, Sense M+8 Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Slightly surprised Emerion enters and watches silently.

5,801 to 5,850 of 6,976 << first < prev | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / thereal thom's All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.