Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

thereal thom's

Game Master therealthom

Crimson Throne


5,401 to 5,450 of 6,930 << first < prev | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | next > last >>

The door swings open. Through its frame you see a morbid chamber scented with the reek of burning wax from several tall, misshapen candles. Workspaces strewn with tall beakers of foul-colored liquids, parchments covered in insidious symbols, and cages of whimpering rodents fill large alcoves in both the northern and southern walls. A pair of huge stone doors bar the way further east.

At the room’s center stand four large, cylindrical glass vats crowned and shod with gold. Each is filled with a bubbling emerald fluid that tints the chamber’s light a noxious green. Within each suspension floats a malformed troll-sized abomination —- something part man, part angel, and part horse—things of half-formed muscle with dead, fleshless equine skulls. Three of the forms are motionless and still, but the fourth twitches now and then with life.

Map

Dimly through the glass and fluid of the nearest vat the shadow of a humanoid moves behind the figure trapped in the vat.

"One more step and you face death. Where the priests have failed Urgathoa's handmaidens will not!"

Please accompany any precipitate action with an initiative roll.


Female Human (Shoanti) Cleric 6

"You fool!" Istas returns as she pushes past her companions, "Like all followers of Urgathoa, you shrink and hide behind others when your time has come. Your cowardice is truly pathetic. Just like your Pallid Princess who fled Pharasma's Boneyard, you have no spine. Your reckoning is upon you. And yet, for all the faith you put in the power of necromancy and your abuses of the dead, you can't even face it like a man when it comes for you. Come here, worm. Test your power against a lone Pharasmin armed with just a simple knife. And we'll see who faces death this day."

Istas is trying to goad the Urgathoan into a one-on-one battle. Not sure if that's worth a skill check or just wishful thinking. But maybe if she can distract this guy, the rest of you can spread out and gain the upper hand on anything else we're facing.


Male Human, Varisian Pure-Blood Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Tactical Map.

Emerion, as much as he can, searches the area immediately beyond the door for any signs of traps or pitfalls.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

Initiative (when called for): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24


"Let's see how blind fate fairs pitted against the inevitable."

Hand to mouth and the shadow behind the glass vat disappears.

Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Perception DC 25:

Spoiler:
A leather strap holds a small bag against the outside of each of the vats.


Male Human, Varisian Pure-Blood Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

"Invisibility potion," Emerion mutters. "Heather, your web-spell!"


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class)

Initiative1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Heather speaks the words and centers the spell on the doors to the rear of the room..the entire room fills with web.


Male Elf Rogue 6

Initiative 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Stealth 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (11) + 14 = 25

"There's something hanging on the vats . . . little bags," Keliwyn says before disappearing into the shadows and moving along the wall, around the opposite side of the one vat from where the figure was spotted.


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class)

Extent of Web


Just to see.

Istas Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Round 1:

Emerion 24

Cultist 24

Keliwyn 18

Heather 10

Istas 4

[ooc]First question: Emerion are you waiting til after Heather webs before acting?


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class)

You forgot Fina


She ran away.

Spoiler:
Not really, but she'll take her lead from Keliwyn and Emerion. Fina Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15


Male Human, Varisian Pure-Blood Fighter 5/Rogue 2
CrimsonDM wrote:
First question: Emerion are you waiting til after Heather webs before acting?

Emerion holds his movement until the web is unleashed. Seeing Keliwyn heading one way, Emerion takes the other flank, studying the web to see signs of the invisible woman's movement within the webs - or out of it.

If kel took the left flank, Emerion will move down to the other door and enter that way, moving around to around C-03. If Kel went right, Em will move in to E-10. BTW, what buffs are on us?


Istas Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

You're still under the Heroes' Feast and Istas' resistance.

Spoiler:
You bring forth a great feast, including a magnificent table, chairs, service, and food and drink. The feast takes 1 hour to consume, and the beneficial effects do not set in until this hour is over. Every creature partaking of the feast is cured of all sickness and nausea, receives the benefits of both neutralize poison and remove disease, and gains 1d8 temporary hit points + 1 point per two caster levels (maximum +10) after imbibing the nectar-like beverage that is part of the feast. The ambrosial food grants each creature that partakes a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and Will saves and a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against poison and fear effects for 12 hours.

I'm not sure what else. Let me know if there's more.

Keliwyn enters the room and turns left to drift along the dimly lit wall.

Suddenly an explosion echoes through the chamber. The flash silhouettes the figure in the nearest vat. The vat's glass wall cracks, allowing Fthe greenish fluid to run onto the floor. The figure within stirs and pushes at the glass walls.

2d6 ⇒ (2, 6) = 8
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18

Perception DC 20. Keliwyn at +4

Spoiler:
The explosion originated at the small sack tied to the nearest vat.

Fina (init 15) steps into the northern door to keep the figure or invisible priest from slipping out that way.

Emerion holds for Heather's spell. Wellard, I'll give you the option to change that action if you wish.


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class)

Cancel the web but I'll need to see if I can ID the creature first. Do I have a good view of it's size and general appearance ?


Within each [green liquid filled glass vat] floats a malformed troll-sized abomination —- something part man, part angel, and part horse—things of half-formed muscle with dead, fleshless equine skulls.

The one in the nearest vat stands on one leg while it presses the wall of the vat with the other leg and it's hands. White feathered wings brush the glass then turn green as they pull back into the fluid. The other three stir in their vats.

Release me!


Male Elf Rogue 6

Keliwyn freezes is his tracks.

Perception 1d20 + 8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 8 + 4 = 16


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class)

Knowledge (The Planes) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Knowledge (Arcana) 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16

Heather wracks her brains to determine the origin of the creature


Male Human, Varisian Pure-Blood Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Seeing Heather's indecision Emerion springs into action, darting toward the nearest vat he tears and slashes free the small sack tied to it.


Heather:

Spoiler:
The green liquid and relatively low light provided by the candles make a definitive identification difficult. The horse's skulls are the strongest clue. You might be staring at some form of leukodaemon, a servant of the Horseman of Pestilence. Maybe if you stepped closer for a better look.

Keliwyn, no luck there. We'll try something else. 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24 I'll let you know in a post or two.

Emerion, can you spell out your route please and give me 2 perception rolls.


Male Human, Varisian Pure-Blood Fighter 5/Rogue 2

If we are outside the door between B-07 and C-07, Emerion's target is the vat in E-07, Kel has already entered this way (at least the first five feet) so he will proceed directly.

Perception #1: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29 (+1 for traps)

Perception #2: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22 (+1 for traps)


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class)

"Hold..I believe that creature may be a Leukodaemon..a servant of the Horseman of Pestilence.and a creature of ineffable Evil..do not let it escape the tube" Heather cries

She steps into the room her wand of grease returning to the belt and the wand of lightning bolt replacing it.

"If I am right then it is resistant to weapons that are not blessed by the Gods off good, and to most forms of arcane energy, indeed it is immune to acids and poisons...it could slay us all without tiring itself in the least"


Male Human, Varisian Pure-Blood Fighter 5/Rogue 2

"Then we'd better not let any others get out either!"


Guys, this is going slowly because I'm trying to feed you information via perception checks as you move into the room, because perspective matters. We're still solidly in round 1. Wellard, don't believe everything you read. That was a nice roll, you'll get more info when Heather gets a closer, unobfuscated look.

The bag on vat E7 is gone. The figure within is straining against the walls. The bags hang toward the center of the rectangle formed by the vats. The leather straps wrap all the way around. Emerion please select a different vat for bag-ripping and describe your route with at least 1 way-point. AoO will depend on your route. Have you abandoned your plan to enter via the C4 door?

Round 1: (Slow Motion)

Cultist 18+ (invisible), ?
Keliwyn 18 D9, mid-move action

Emerion 16 ?, beginning move action
Fina 15 C7, blocking the door and done for the turn
Heather 10 D7, moved, wand drawing

Istas 4 B7, last to go


Male Human, Varisian Pure-Blood Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Emerion will move from the door to D-07, from D-07 via E-08 to F-07.


Male Elf Rogue 6

Is everything webbed?

Keliwyn continues to move to F-9, maintaining stealth.


Male Human, Varisian Pure-Blood Fighter 5/Rogue 2

No, Heather didn't cast it, that's why Emerion moved.


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class)

Heathers brow furrows.."Though from what I have read I would have thought a Leukodaemon would have no trouble breaking free from a broken glass tube"

She moves along the wall to the north trying to get a better view of the creature


Male Elf Rogue 6

Keliwyn inexplicably shudders with a feeling of dread.

A Leukodeamon? I remember these badboys from the cool artwork that went with the blog post way back when. So I looked him up. CR9? 115 hp? DR 10/good or silver? Really? Not to metagame, but me thinks we're screwed, unless we can talk our way out of this one, too.


Male Human, Varisian Pure-Blood Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Good job Emerion's mithral rapier counts as silver, eh? 500gp well spent...


Keliwyn and Emerion:

Spoiler:
Your invisible foe may not be the roundest marble in the bag. He stepped in the pool of liquid and his footprints place him in F4.

Emerion:

Spoiler:
Thin strings lead from each of the bags to F4.

Round 1: (Slow Motion)

Cultist 18+ (invisible), ?
Keliwyn 18 D9, mid-move action (3 squares of movement expended)

Emerion 16 F7, mid-move action (5 squares of movement expended)
Fina 15 C7, blocking the door and done for the turn
Heather 10 C8, wand drawn mid-move (2 squares of movement expended)

Istas 4 B7, last to go

We now return you to your regularly scheduled initiative order. Keliwyn's up.

Heather Whiteraven wrote:
Heathers brow furrows.."Though from what I have read I would have thought a Leukodaemon would have no trouble breaking free from a broken glass tube"

Funny you should mention that.

Crack! The vat shatters throwing crystal to the ground and pouring a rush of green fluid onto the floor. The temporary torrent nearly upends Emerion and thoroughly soaks his feet. The thing inside drops heavily to the bottom of the vat.

Punky grub-filled wood fills your mind embodied in a single word. FREE!

Chipped hooves, filthy, moth-eaten wings, upon its festering flesh
crawl wormy things, squirming and roiling amid the blisters and necrotic symptoms of some terrible, rotting affliction. It raises its a sun-bleached horse’s skull and twists to look at you all with eyeless sockets.

Emerion hears a faint buzzing, like a host of flies feasting on carrion.

Leukodaemon init: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25 , E7, prone, gone for this turn


Male Human, Varisian Pure-Blood Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Does Emerion have the option of abandoning his action, turning and striking the prone creature?


Yes, twas the point of the slo-mo round.

Almost forgot. Heather :

Spoiler:
Getting a closer look at this thing without green fluid obscuring it, Heather confirms it is a L-daemon. Maybe(?) a lesser variety and certainly without the legendarily typical bow.


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class)

No real options here..eyes down for a TPK then

Heather points her wand and unleashes a lightning bolt at the creature

Caster check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

the bolt hits home true and does no damage at all

Damage5d6 ⇒ (1, 1, 1, 2, 5) = 10 and against Resistance 10/Electric thats Sweet Fanny Adams


Wellard you ninja'd an edit to my previous post.


Male Human, Varisian Pure-Blood Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Emerion spins around, his guard up (Combat Expertise active) and lunges at the fallen creature.

Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 Damage: 3d6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 4, 4) + 2 = 14 Adding in sneak attack as it is prone, and the damage is magic and silver. Did we have any buffs?

"I'll keep this busy! Keliwyn, Fina, cut the cords!" he shouts.


"What cords!?"

I'll let you know how ya'll did after Keliwyn goes. He's top of the order.


Male Elf Rogue 6

Keliwyn slips between the two vats on the north side of the room move to F7, cutting away the bags that are tied to those vats.


Neil, Istas is up.

The bag on E7 is gone. Emerion is in F7. I'll give Keliwyn F8 (it's within range of your remaining movement) and you can cut the cords holding the bag to the vat. The bag on G7 faces F6 so the bag is out of reach. You're just cutting the bag free and letting it drop?

CrimsonDM wrote:

You're still under the Heroes' Feast and Istas' resistance.

Spoiler:

You bring forth a great feast, including a magnificent table, chairs, service, and food and drink. The feast takes 1 hour to consume, and the beneficial effects do not set in until this hour is over. Every creature partaking of the feast is cured of all sickness and nausea, receives the benefits of both neutralize poison and remove disease, and gains 1d8 temporary hit points + 1 point per two caster levels (maximum +10) after imbibing the nectar-like beverage that is part of the feast. The ambrosial food grants each creature that partakes a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and Will saves and a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against poison and fear effects for 12 hours.

Emerion's sword lances through scabby feathered wings and deeply into the daemon's back drawing a snarl, maggots, and blood. The daemon twists and starts to push itself onto its feet. Damage effectively scored.

Heather's lightning bolt cracks through the room. It strikes the creature which jerks violently in response and leaves charred feathers and flesh.

Heather:

Spoiler:
Sword and spell damage. This is definitely a minor variety of leukodaemon. (half a daemon?) SR 10, not 20. Resistances about half.

Istas to go then top of round 2.

Round 2: (Full speed)

Leukodaemon #1 25, E7 , I'll let you know after Istas goes.
Cultist 18+ (invisible), apparently readying or delaying

Keliwyn 18 F8,
Emerion 16 F7,
Fina 15 C7, blocking the door
Heather 10 C8,
Istas 4 B7, last to go


Female Human (Shoanti) Cleric 6

Istas moves forward to attack the only visible target in the room, her peacebringer dagger flashing as she strikes the leukodaemon.

Move action to hopefully flank the leukodaemon for Emerion or Keliwyn...
Attack with dagger... 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Damage, if applicable... 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


AoOs for Istas, Em and Kel. See below.

Istas moves opposite the creature from Emerion (D7) and slashes downward. The daemon is fast. It arcs itself around her stabbing blade, but hampered by the floor is still pierced by the blade.

It pushes upward with arms and flapping wings.

That's its move action.


Male Human, Varisian Pure-Blood Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Attack of Opportunity: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25 Damage: 3d6 + 2 ⇒ (2, 1, 3) + 2 = 8 Have flanking and remembered hero's feast this time.

Updated map.


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class)

Heather did move into the room so can we have her in D09 please


Female Human (Shoanti) Cleric 6

Istas stabs once more as the creature thrashes about...

Attack of opportunity with flanking bonus... 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22
Damage, if applicable... 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Male Elf Rogue 6

Keliwyn would have thrown the bag in the corner of the room if he could reach it, but if he can only get the cord, he'll let it drop.

Keliwyn shifts toward Istas, and seeing a chance to strike while the creature is still getting to its fight, Keliwyn lunges, hoping to drive his rapier deep.

AoOAttack 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 9 + 1 = 22 Damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 Sneak Attack Damage 3d6 ⇒ (2, 4, 1) = 7

Kel will try to get around to Istas' position so he can flank with Emerion so they both get the extra damage. What's the damage reduction on this thing? DR/10?


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class)

Heather notes the damage being done.

"Ha 'tis a lesser version of the beast..not as great in power or protections"


Male Elf Rogue 6

On second thought, Keliwyn will get in his attack from where he is, and then will slip past Emerion and go after the cultist.


Round 2:

AoOs Emerion, Istas, and Keliwyn all hit home. The daemon is incredibly strong and still pushes itself upright with apparent disregard for its wounds.

It rounds on Emerion and eyeless sockets seem to fix on something just over his shoulder. It lashes out at him with jagged claws and snapping jaw.

Claw 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15 .. damage 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Claw 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22 .. damage 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Claw 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 .. damage 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Perception DC 14 (Kelwiyn at +2)

Spoiler:
The string leading from F3 to the bag on the vessel in G4 goes taut. Then disappears in ....

A blinding flash and crashing explosion erupts from the southwest glass vessel. (G4) 2d6 ⇒ (4, 6) = 10

Fortunately none of you are caught in the blast. But the glass vessel shatters immediately dropping the leukodaemon held within to the floor while more green fluid splashes onto the flagstones.

Perception DC 12:

Spoiler:
There's 2 foot-shape holes in the fluid in square F3.

Perception DC 14:

Spoiler:
One string left running loosely from F3 to the glass vessel in E4.

Remainder of the round

Keliwyn 18 F8,
Emerion 16 F7,
Fina 15 C7, blocking the door
Heather 10 D9,
Istas 4 B7, last to go

Fina, Perceptions 3d20 ⇒ (16, 20, 15) = 51


Male Human, Varisian Pure-Blood Fighter 5/Rogue 2

Emerion ducks and weaves and dances before the onslaught, claws scrape his mail and the jaws snap inches from his face, but the creature somehow cannot land a blow that draws blood. Yay Combat Expertise, AC23!

He ripostes grimly:

Attack: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25 Damage: 3d6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 3, 2) + 2 = 10 Flanking, Combat Expertise, plus magic and silver goodness for it!

Perception check #1: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
Perception check #2: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Perception check #3: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

"Fina! she's standing in the pool there!" He calls to the Grey Maiden, gesturing with his free hand.


Female Human(1/2 Chelaxian 1/2 Varisian) Sorceress 7 (favoured class)

Heather casts grease from her wand at the point Emerion indicates.


Love the enthusiasm, but Keliwyn goes before Heather. And Emerion although that one doesn't matter as much. We'll see if Kel get in your way before setting that grease in stone.

5,401 to 5,450 of 6,930 << first < prev | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / thereal thom's All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.