Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

cynarion's Carrion Crown PbP

Game Master cynarion

Professor Lorrimor, the renowned investigator and arcanist, has died. You came to his home in the town of Ravengro to pay your respects, but quickly discovered there was more to the wily old man's death than met the eye...


2,651 to 2,685 of 2,685 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>

{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

I agree, but my concern is that we may not only force a fight, but one while our resources are currently depleted, and one with a possible innocent as well. I think it may be best if we leave, rest and recuperate, then come back tomorrow and bring the book back fully recovered. Or do our thing at the prison, though that may have it's own risks.


That's an interesting idea I hadn't considered - leaving the goods until we are healed up. I LIKE IT!


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Would it change much if Theron were to look into the book before we left? I'm thinking he would want to bring that back so he could look it over, but he wouldn't just decide that without at least taking a quick look first.


You ever see Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Nazis open up and look into the Ark of the Covenant? Nevermind, just pop that book open. :)


Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:
Lem! Kendra cries in alarm, as he is the last to make his way in. Are you well? You look like...well, you look like you've seen a ghost.

Happy as Rajuna is to see Kendra after what seemed like a rather long day, he slumps wearily into a chair with a sigh and wraps his burnoose about him to stave off the chill in his heart. A small smile breaks across his scarred face at her unintended jest. "First an Enchantress, now an Oracle."


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Back at the prison...
Theron warily cracks the cover of the mouldy book open. The silky vellum pages of the interior seem to almost cascade over one another as Theron turns page after page. Written on them, in a close, precise script, are magical words--spells. This must have been Professor Feramin's spellbook, but whether before or after he succumbed to his murderous impulses and became the Splatter Man, you can't be sure.

As Theron leafs through the pages, many of them crumble; the mould damage has not been kind to the book.

Theron:
Using read magic as you go through the book, you determine that the following spells are still viable: comprehend languages, dispel magic, false life, gust of wind, illusory script, levitate, mage armor, magic missile, and summon monster IV.

As you page through the book, you find yourself increasingly preoccupied with the thought that there must be some secret in the book--something that nobody else knows. Your page-turning increases in pace, heedless of the destruction you are wreaking on the already-damaged pages.

Eventually, you come to the final page of the book, and there, written in blood with the jagged handwriting of a madman, is just one word.

THERON.

Go ahead and describe how Theron reacts, but when you look again, your name is not there, and nobody else saw it.


female human diviner

Later, at Kendra's

Raj wrote:
Happy as Rajuna is to see Kendra after what seemed like a rather long day, he slumps wearily into a chair with a sigh and wraps his burnoose about him to stave off the chill in his heart. A small smile breaks across his scarred face at her unintended jest. "First an Enchantress, now an Oracle."

Kendra reddens visibly at Raj's quip, but she regains her poise quickly. And what of it? I assume, since none of you are rushing off to see Father Grimburrow, that Lem is fine, but behold, I have greater powers of foresight! She takes on an assumed air of whimsy as she puts a hand on Raj's head. I see dark things in your future, young man! she intones. You will find happiness, only to have it taken away from you by an unexpected betrayal!

She smiles as she turns to the others. Anyone else care to have their fortune read?

Raj:
In case you've forgotten... It was several months ago, after all. ; )


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2
Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:
Lem! Kendra cries in alarm, as he is the last to make his way in. Are you well? You look like...well, you look like you've seen a ghost.

More than one, actually, and more than just 'seen'. The one who calls himself 'Father Charlatan' got inside here, for a time, the priest points to his own skull before continuing.

He clouded my thoughts with visions, deceiving me as he did his victims in life. Because of this, I would not have believed the events I saw unfold before my eyes had the others not seen it as well. Pharasma herself grabbed his soul and carried him to the Boneyard for judgment. Harrowstone is a bit safer, now, and our journey is a little shorter.


Raj sighs and rubs his face, looking suddenly haggard. "Kendra, I wasn't mockin' you. You just hit the nail on the head is all. As for my future..." He finds no way to finish the thought. He rises heavily from the chair. "I'm tired. I need about an hour of sleep. 'Fore I do that... I've been thinking about this morning. I think Miss Lorrimor should go with us next time. She's a wizard and we coulda used her help against those haints. If we get stuck with prayer as our only weapon again... We're f^<#ed. So we need to figure out some new tricks." The thief is on the verge of saying something else but shrugs it off. He walks out the door and finds a sunny spot in the yard. He curls up, wrapping the burnoose over his eyes and falls asleep.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2
Carrion Crown GM wrote:

Back at the prison...

Theron warily cracks the cover of the mouldy book open. The silky vellum pages of the interior seem to almost cascade over one another as Theron turns page after page. Written on them, in a close, precise script, are magical words--spells. This must have been Professor Feramin's spellbook, but whether before or after he succumbed to his murderous impulses and became the Splatter Man, you can't be sure.

As Theron leafs through the pages, many of them crumble; the mold damage has not been kind to the book.

A moment after Theron reaches the last page his hand darts towards his sword. He quickly looks about the room as if expecting something to jump out at him and his eyes briefly turn black, making it clear that he's looking for evil presences again. When he glances back at the book, a look of confusion briefly appears on his face before it is replaced with one of his irritated scowls.

"Damned spirits... " He mutters as he drops the book back on its shelf. "It is just a spellbook, but there's something strange about it. While it may be useful, I suggest that no one else read it until we put the Splatter Man to rest." He pauses for a moment as he looks at the book. "We had better just hope he can't cast the spells he could in life. It seems that he was a somewhat accomplished caster."

If asked, Theron will say that the book still has the following viable spells: comprehend languages, dispel magic, false life, gust of wind, illusory script, levitate, mage armor, magic missile, and summon monster IV

Sense Motive DC 15:
Bluff: 1d20 + 5 - 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 - 5 = 15

Theron seems very disturbed by something, but is trying to keep it from showing any more than it already has.


Back at the Prison

Raj notes the Inquisitor's reaction but says nothing... for the moment.

Sense Motive 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

In any case, while Theron doesn't like that book, he also doesn't like the thought of any a certain spirit getting a hold of it. He leans slightly towards having the group take it back with them.


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

In separating from group and making his way back to the town by a his own path, he found his steps had subconsciously led him past the Church of Pharasma.

Confused at the 'why' of things that had entered his life of late, he knew he had enter and give thanks unto The Lady of Graves.

The 'unto' part of his thoughts scrambled his brain. He'd been as plain spoken as any farmer for his entire life, never having used that word more than three of four times. He was lost as to why he thought it now only that the word fit.

He sighed and stepped inside the cool interior and set his sword against the inside wall near the door. He was feeling religious but not stupid. His shortsword that served as his dagger stayed at the small of his back... then it came to his like a flash of light that the 'Dagger' was the symbol of his Goddess and that its presence was acceptable.

He dragged out the faded holy symbol from under his armour and let it hang openly on his chest. He unslung his pack and rummaged for the cloth wrapped book that had been Father Grimburrows gift to him. The pack was set near the large sword, and with that the warrior slid into a pew and began to pray...


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

Karrik watches the exchange between Rajuna, Lem, and Kendra; saying nothing as the Varisian heads out into the sunlight. He's quiet for a few minutes, then turns to Kendra. "Master Rajuna's idea has merit. This last encounter took much out of every one of us... not simply Lem, though I wouldn't presume to say my experiences rivaled his own."

He sighs, a deep sound that visually deflates him somewhat, "That was certainly an experience. Not something I hope to repeat, and something I'm hoping we can learn from strategically. One lesson is that a person of your particular arcane skillset could be of great value."

He looks up at her, concern and doubt in his black eyes, "I do not have to like it, though. The Professor wouldn't have liked you being in such circumstances were he alive, and I can't believe he's looking at me appreciatively for agreeing with Rajuna... from wherever it is his soul rests."

A meat hand wipes his tired face, "I will remain with you until someone else relives me."


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Bah, I guess (as long as no one objects) Theron will take the book. No point in exposing anyone else to it, or leaving it behind. It will be wrapped up and hidden away in its own section of his pack in order to lessen chances of Weird Stuff.


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

so is Theron at the house? With the book? And has he suggested that anything is evil or supernatural about it?


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Yes to the first and second questions (at the moment). He hasn't said anything about the book other than the stuff in the earlier post.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Theron's eyes widen a bit as several of the others suggest that it would be good to bring Kendra with them, but remains silent.

After waiting a bit for things to settle down, Theron turns to Kendra with a question of his own. "Kendra, do you happen to have a good sized lockbox or chest that we could hide some things in? We collected a few things from the prison, but I believe that it would be good to keep them someplace safe until we need them. Something close to where I'm sleeping if possible, since I'd like to keep an eye on them."

Just thinking that we may want to keep some of the things we found in that hidden room someplace safe. Theron wants to hide the spellbook somewhere, and it may be good to put the axe, flute, and hammer there as well unless anyone wants to do anything with them.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Back at the Prison
Theron wraps the Splatter Man's book up carefully and places it in his pack. The party leaves, feeling suspicious eyes upon them...


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

DRAGOMIR: Temple of Pharasma
The temple's cool interior provides some respite from the late morning sun as Dragomir makes his obeisances to the Lady of Graves. Acolytes come and go, along with a few locals--all of whom are careful to put at least a pew's length between themselves and the big man--while Dragomir sits motionless in devotion.


middle-aged female human cleric

Been here long?

A voice breaks Dragomir's concentration.

It's Iona; she has come to sit next to him and he hadn't even noticed. She takes in the book Dragomir is holding in his hands.

You have the look of a man with a burden on his mind, she says. It might help to share it, if you are so inclined.

Sense Motive DC 6:

Iona's Bluff: 1d20 - 1 - 5 ⇒ (7) - 1 - 5 = 1

Iona herself is grappling with something that has her preoccupied.


female human diviner

Kendra's House
Kendra is visibly taken aback by Raj's suggestion that she accompany the group into the prison next time. She watches open-mouthed as he heads outside into the sunshine.

But...

Karrik wrote:

"I do not have to like it, though. The Professor wouldn't have liked you being in such circumstances were he alive, and I can't believe he's looking at me appreciatively for agreeing with Rajuna... from wherever it is his soul rests."

A meat hand wipes his tired face, "I will remain with you until someone else relives me."

Kendra turns to Karrik, her hands unconsciously smoothing already-smooth skirts. Do you really think that's the best idea? I mean, it was only a couple of days ago that you talked me out of going with you. She chews her lip. What has changed? What is in there that would make Raj--and you--change your minds? And what will Dragomir say?

She sits down. Clearly, while her confidence was at an all time high only two days ago, now that the prospect of being in the line of fire has become distinctly more real, she is wondering whether it's the right decision.


female half-orc sorcerer 2

A clattering from upstairs announces Flori's entrance. Her eyes rove across the assembled group, and she peers out the door to spot Raj in the front yard. Having satisfied herself that everyone is at least in once piece, she nods to herself and bustles into the kitchen, although from her searching gaze, you know she has noticed that Dragomir is absent, and is concerned at what that might mean.

Tea, she says, with a finality that brooks no dissent. And ale for Dragomir, when he gets here, I suppose.


female human diviner
Theron Adrezi wrote:
After waiting a bit for things to settle down, Theron turns to Kendra with a question of his own. "Kendra, do you happen to have a good sized lockbox or chest that we could hide some things in? We collected a few things from the prison, but I believe that it would be good to keep them someplace safe until we need them. Something close to where I'm sleeping if possible, since I'd like to keep an eye on them."

Theron's question seems to derail Kendra's thoughts. She snaps out of her worried look.

Yes...there's the box that my father put everything in before you got here, she says. I'll go and get it for you.

A minute or so later, she returns with the chest Raj opened a few days ago. It still contains the books that were in it when it was first opened.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

I would have to go back and re-read too much to double-check, but I think Walter may still have On Verified Madness in his possession, so my above statement may not be 100% accurate.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

I think I was planning to have Theron read some/all of these, but never really followed up on it.

But yea, let's add more death and madness to the box of death and madness. Buhahaha.


Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:
A minute or so later, she returns with the chest Raj opened a few days ago.

Actually, I think this is the chest Raj opened recently. :D


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

I assume that Rose is going to the temple at some point to give the holy symbols to Iona. When she does, I will offer to accompany her. I'd like to see Iona's reaction. Just wanted to post this now since the weather is pretty bad and I don't know how much I'll be able to post today/tomorrow.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS
Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:

Kendra turns to Karrik, her hands unconsciously smoothing already-smooth skirts. Do you really think that's the best idea? I mean, it was only a couple of days ago that you talked me out of going with you. She chews her lip. What has changed? What is in there that would make Raj--and you--change your minds? And what will Dragomir say?

She sits down. Clearly, while her confidence was at an all time high only two days ago, now that the prospect of being in the line of fire has become distinctly more real, she is wondering whether it's the right decision.

"Dragomir will say what Draomir wants to say, and ultimately the group will have to come to concensus regarding Rajuna's idea." He sighs tiredly, "And no, I do not think it a prudent idea. Unfortunately, we are faced with a problem with few ideal solutions. I'd prefer to let the group recount the events; my recounting is bound to be flawed by my singular perspective on the experience. But I doubt anyone would argue that Harrowstone is full of threats we can't predict and have difficulty countering." He points to Lem. "We nearly lost him against a threat we have no recourse against. From my vantage point, it was literally the creature's own foulness that was his undoing. We were lucky to survive long enough for it to happen. Bringing you bolsters our suite of capabilities and expertise we can bring to bear on any given threat... hopefully improving our chances of everyone surviving another venture."

"So we're left choosing the best of a range of bad options." He puts his meaty hand once more over his eyes, "Though I'm tired and frustrated. Others may have better ideas, and I'm very open to being argued out of you coming."

There is a long pause. Then, without removing his hand from his face, he adds, "So how was your morning?"


Karrik wrote:
Then, without removing his hand from his face, he adds, "So how was your morning?"

ROFL! That rocks, man.


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

:D


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2
Lem Longbarrow wrote:
I assume that Rose is going to the temple at some point to give the holy symbols to Iona. When she does, I will offer to accompany her. I'd like to see Iona's reaction. Just wanted to post this now since the weather is pretty bad and I don't know how much I'll be able to post today/tomorrow.

Uncertain how to handle the thought of Kendra coming, Rose instead quietly stands up. "I'm...going to go to the temple. I promised Iona these symbols, may as well have it done with." She waits a moment before leaving the house.


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4
Iona Geryn wrote:

Been here long?

A voice breaks Dragomir's concentration.

It's Iona; she has come to sit next to him and he hadn't even noticed. She takes in the book Dragomir is holding in his hands.

You have the look of a man with a burden on his mind, she says. It might help to share it, if you are so inclined.

Sense Motive +5 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Dragomir smiles slightly. Aye, I do but I think we both have something on our minds Priestess. How can I be of service to one who serves Our Lady of Graves?, he asks politely, putting her first.


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2
Rose Springdawn wrote:
Lem Longbarrow wrote:
I assume that Rose is going to the temple at some point to give the holy symbols to Iona. When she does, I will offer to accompany her. I'd like to see Iona's reaction. Just wanted to post this now since the weather is pretty bad and I don't know how much I'll be able to post today/tomorrow.
Uncertain how to handle the thought of Kendra coming, Rose instead quietly stands up. "I'm...going to go to the temple. I promised Iona these symbols, may as well have it done with." She waits a moment before leaving the house.

I believe I'll join you. A cheery disposition is just what we need in times like these, so Sister Iona seems like the perfect person to see.

Lem smiles and heads off towards his room, turning back briefly: I'll just be a minute!

A few minutes later he returns with his cleric's vestments on.

Official church business and all, have to look the part, right?


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Dragomir looks back to Iona expectantly.

2,651 to 2,685 of 2,685 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / cynarion's Carrion Crown: Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Play-by-Post

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.