Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


cynarion's Carrion Crown PbP

Game Master cynarion

Professor Lorrimor, the renowned investigator and arcanist, has died. You came to his home in the town of Ravengro to pay your respects, but quickly discovered there was more to the wily old man's death than met the eye...


2,101 to 2,150 of 2,685 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>

Rajuna coughs up a lungful of dust and swipes his blade clean on the body of the first stirge. He starts to reload the knife. Thinking better of it, he tucks the weapon in his belt and clears the rock residue from his eyes. Missing the earlier action, he notes the beginning of a shiner around Walter's eye. "Oy, Walt. Did a stirge punch ya or somethin'?"


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Stirges are such meanies.


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4
Carrion Crown GM wrote:

That will do it! The stirge is bleeding out on the floor. Probably bleeding Dragomir's blood back all over him.

I don't have time right now to post a full update, but feel free to talk amongst yourselves. The immediate threat is over.

I should have invested in more Con... Save vs. Disease?


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

I have to make a roll for that...

Raj disease chance: 1d100 ⇒ 10
Dragomir disease chance: 1d100 ⇒ 24

Raj, please attempt a Fort save.


Always one to associate with the more unsavory elements of society and their less than hygenic haunts, Raj doesn't spend much time worrying about disease.

Fort Save 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Gerroffityabastard!, Dragomir rages as he continues to pound the creature into a bloody pulp Coup de Grace

He then rises scraping the mush and chitin off his body, looking pale as he did yesterday... and none too happy.


Male Human Oracle 2
Rajuna Two-Fangs wrote:
Rajuna coughs up a lungful of dust and swipes his blade clean on the body of the first stirge. He starts to reload the knife. Thinking better of it, he tucks the weapon in his belt and clears the rock residue from his eyes. Missing the earlier action, he notes the beginning of a shiner around Walter's eye. "Oy, Walt. Did a stirge punch ya or somethin'?"

Walter placed his hand over his eye. Oddly enough, it looked completely natural-- hand on his face, a pose he found himself in often.

"I... made a mistake," he said, defeated. He held up his other hand, prepared to 'take back' wounds if anyone needed it.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

I need to make ridiculous combat suggestions more often!

Seeing the beating that Dragomir gave the stirge, Theron doesn't even attempt to retrieve his arrow. The thing had probably been soaked in all sorts of nasty fluids including Dragomir's own blood anyway.

After helping Dragomir get up and glancing over at Raj to make sure that he was alright, the inquisitor's gaze turns towards the trapdoor that they just opened. Let's hope that there aren't any more of those things up there. I'll go first... with any luck I'll be able to see anything dangerous before we get jumped again.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

It's not different at all! Is it Dragomir? (Couldn't resist.)

Assuming we don't do anything fancy, here are Theron's rolls. He's going to listen for noises before going up the ladder, and then will try to climb up quietly to avoid attracting attention.

perception before climbing: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
perception after climbing: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24 Got to love the consistency.


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Lem retrieves Walter's thrown rock, brushes it off, and produces two more rocks and a scroll.

Desna, I beseech you-- as a humble man can aspire to greatness through your divine influence, so too can an ordinary rock become a powerful weapon of righteousness. Fill these stones with your light, that we may destroy your enemies.

In answer to his prayers, the rocks glow with a soft blue light Cast Magic Stone.

The priest smiles in satisfaction, pocketing one of the rocks. He hands one to Walter.

This should work better now, particularly against the undead. You only have one shot, though, so make it count. Lem winks at the teen, not wanting to discourage him.

Then he walks over to Rajuna and gives him the remaining stone.

In case something is too far away to...stab.


Carrion Crown GM wrote:

That will do it! The stirge is bleeding out on the floor. Probably bleeding Dragomir's blood back all over him.

...

The immediate threat is over.

Battle XP

Defeated
2 × giant stirges (CR 3): 1,600 XP
TOTAL XP: 1,600

TOTAL XP PER PC: 200

You all gain 200 XP.

Running Total: 2,670 XP


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Theron climbs up the ladder and discovers a pile of rubble--as well as a broken door that hangs off only one of its hinges, and seems to lead outside. He readies his bow and approaches the door carefully--but there is nothing on the other side either.

###

The floor above is the lower floor of two inside a tower that protrudes from the roof of the prison. There used to be a second floor in the tower, also accessible by ladder, but that floor collapsed, sending the rubble down to block the trapdoor. From the way the windows are built and their commanding position, you suspect the second floor of the tower was used as a guard post.

The broken doorway leads to a long balcony (similar to but nowhere near as impressive as the one in Minas Tirith) that overlooks the bluff upon which Harrowstone squats--in the distance, to the north, you can see Ravengro.

It doesn't take long for the cold weather to drive you back inside.

###

There's nothing left to explore of value on the floor/balcony above. You can carry on with the rest of the Harrowstone upper floor.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

You all reassemble in the hallway of the prison. (Belated map link.)

Remaining items of interest:
--the chained remains in the cell down the end of the cell block (see post here).
--the eastern cell block and the other facilities at that end of the floor.

Enjoy!


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Dead guy is dead... no saving him - the eastern block?


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

Sounds like a plan to me.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

You make your way across the floor quietly, heading to the eastern cell block toward the front of the prison. As you pass through what was once the mess hall, with trestles and benches askew throughout, you spot what must have once been the nest of the stirges you killed yesterday, under one of the heavy timber tables.

The eastern cell block looks much like its western counterpart. A few doors hang askew, and the remains of the prisoners are still in their cells. Theron (presuming he has it memorised) uses sift to check through each of the cells, but finds nothing of value.

###

Things left to explore on this level:
--the chained remains in the cell down the end of the western cell block (see post here).
--the room behind the double doors near the broken wall, to the northeast (reference AE16/AF16).
--the room behind the single door in the easternmost north-south corridor (reference AA22).
--the room behind the double doors in the other north-south corridor (reference W17/W18).

(Map link.)


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

I vote for W17/W18. By my count Raj is down 4 (virtue!) and Dragomir is down 5. Do either of you want a heal? At the very least I'll cast virtue on both of you before we open a door.


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Ooops - will update and yes


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

You array yourselves before the doorway (at W17/W18) and after Raj checks the door for traps, and Lem makes sure everyone is ready for whatever might lurk behind the door, Raj forces it open.

There is a loud creak--which makes you all wince--and then silence. It is dark inside, but once your eyes adjust, you see stairs, heading down.

Otherwise, it is quiet.

(map updated)


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Lem places his hand on Dragomir's puncture wound, and intones a prayer.

May your suffering be as a dream when, upon waking, you find all is well.

Cast CLW on Dragomir 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Yeesh, that sucked. Dah well, down two, but with virtue, it's effectively only down one HP. Sorry big man, Lem must have pissed off Desna somehow, hehe.


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

"I would recommend we finish exploring up here before heading down below."

My recommendation is--the room behind the double doors near the broken wall, to the northeast (reference AE16/AF16).


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4
Rose Springdawn wrote:

"I would recommend we finish exploring up here before heading down below."

My recommendation is--the room behind the double doors near the broken wall, to the northeast (reference AE16/AF16).

Agreed


Yep. I'm also in favor of finishing off this level before we continue downstairs.


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Fourth-ed, and I'll virtue Dragomir and Raj before they "kick down the door".


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

The group reassembles outside the large double-doors. The gap in the wall looms large to your left, the collapsed balcony showing itself in chunks of masonry lying half-submerged in the miniature lake outside.

Raj carefully checks the floor and the door for traps, as Lem makes his incantations. Finding nothing, Raj and Dragomir put a shoulder to the door and bust it open.

Inside is a kitchen. Along the west wall, a series of wood-fired ovens lie cold and empty. Along the east wall are preparation benches and a large sink. Down the south end of the room is what might once have been a pantry or larder--any food that was once stored here, though, has long since been picked clean by animals.

The most interesting thing in the room, though, is the small corpse slumped against the bank of ovens.

Raj looks it over briefly before Septimus pronounces that it's the corpse of a halfling. Dessicated by years of exposure, little remains now beyond a taut parchment-like skin stretched over a skeletal frame. Whatever clothes the doomed creature was wearing have been gnawed to tatters by insects and--probably--rodents.

You set to the grim task of going through the dead halfling's belongings.


On the halfling's body you find:

GM rolls:

1d100 ⇒ 25
1d100 ⇒ 4
1d100 ⇒ 72
1d100 ⇒ 7
1d100 ⇒ 55
1d100 ⇒ 50
1d100 ⇒ 40
1d100 ⇒ 26
1d100 ⇒ 6
1d100 ⇒ 74
1d100 ⇒ 82
1d100 ⇒ 97
1d100 ⇒ 71
1d100 ⇒ 9
1d100 ⇒ 2
1d100 ⇒ 85
1d100 ⇒ 74
1d100 ⇒ 27
1d100 ⇒ 11
1d100 ⇒ 44
1d100 ⇒ 82
1d100 ⇒ 16
1d100 ⇒ 92
1d100 ⇒ 93
1d100 ⇒ 91
1d100 ⇒ 71
1d100 ⇒ 75
1d100 ⇒ 45
1d100 ⇒ 50
1d100 ⇒ 58

  • 5 × usable crossbow bolts (the rest are ruined)
  • a small light crossbow
  • a small masterwork morningstar
  • a potion of cure light wounds
  • a potion (unidentified; faint divination)
  • a scroll of detect magic
  • a scroll of blur
  • a scroll of command undead
  • a wand of ray of frost (29 charges remaining)
  • a wand of aspect of the falcon (21 charges remaining)


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

And, to save you the effort and time, in the last remaining room on this level, you discover a former store room. Nothing of value remains.

The only thing left to do on this level is to investigate the chained body; you haven't been into that cell yet.

ETA: (map link)


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

*looks up aspect of the falcon*
*shakes fist at random loot generator* ;)


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2
Theron Adrezi wrote:

*looks up aspect of the falcon*

*shakes fist at random loot generator* ;)

We could always to flip a couple tables in the mess hall in a nerdrage moment. And yea, that should totally be an inquisitor spell too.

"All that's left is that body in the other hallway. Shall we investigate it next?"


"I agree with Miss Rose. Dead or no - I'd rather be sure it stays dead after we pass it by."


Carrion Crown Loot Pile wrote:


  • a wand of aspect of the FIREBALL (21 charges remaining)

Fixed that typo for ya.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot
Theron Adrezi wrote:

*looks up aspect of the falcon*

*shakes fist at random loot generator* ;)

You make a good point. And, in fact, the halfling (when he was alive) couldn't have used that wand anyway--no ranks in UMD. So:


Replace:

  • a wand of aspect of the falcon (21 charges remaining)

with

  • a wand of magic weapon (21 charges remaining)

Problem solved! : D


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Ok... can't be too much trouble - the bones looked all chained up if I recall.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Yayy :D Now at least five people in the party can use that wand. Fight to the death! Seriously though, I think that wand would probably work best in the hands of either Lem or Walter.

Looks can be deceiving, Theron says quietly.


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

I'll take the small weapons by default. I think Karrik should take the scroll of Blur and Rose or Walter should take the magic weapon wand. Raj, you have UMD? If so, you should take the command undead scroll as none of us can use it I think.


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

Karrik and I can both make our weapons magic with Arcane Pool, so it's somewhat less effective to us. I'd say Walter probably.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Whoever gets the wand of Magic Weapon, it might be a good idea to go ahead and use it to enchant Raj and Dragomir's weapons. They're the ones that need it the most, and we don't want to use up that wand too quickly.


Sadly, I don't have UMD nor the ability to read arcane scrolls... yet. So unless we run into an undead puppy that I can use a rolled up scroll on... :)

I appreciate the offer, but I'd hold off on using the Magic Weapon wand just yet. The duration is short enough that we might be wasting charges before we get to use them.

I'm happy to leave the splitting of this treasure to you guys or throw items into the collective sell pile. The most useful thing to me (at the moment) would be the CLW potion and I already have one of those, so we should probably toss this one at someone who doesn't have one yet.


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

Yah, between arcane pool, Septimus's Enlarge potions, and the remainder of the Professor's basement experiments, Karrik has quite a few options on-hand. Give the wand of Magic WEapon to someone else.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Ahh, I had been thinking it would have a duration in hours like Greater Magic Weapon. Yea, let's save it for emergencies then.

Either way, Theron has been saving his magical arrows, so he should be good for a while.


Male Human Oracle 2

I'd like the wand just to give me something to do in combat after bless right now. Because otherwise I just spam touch of flame until it's out... and it's really bad damage. I just wanted it to have a fire attack at 1 that wasn't 1/day. Later when Walter's weapons go flaming just because he's wielding them, that's okay, but right now... yeah, the wand will give me the option to go first and turn someone without a magic weapon into a reasonable participant in combat instead of a bench warmer.

Quote:
"I agree with Miss Rose. Dead or no - I'd rather be sure it stays dead after we pass it by."

Walter resisted the temptation of correcting Rajuna with Falkner's proof that undead were just malicious animated objects, and instead pocketed the wand of magic weapon-- a long, thin yew rod.

He turned the magic stone around in his hand. A nice stone. Um... very magic. He imagined throwing it at the next thing they met, and with his luck, figured that he'd probably get himself in the other eye.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

You reach the barred door to what looks to be the largest cell on the level, discovering it is still solidly attached to its hinges.

Raj dutifully checks for traps, finding none, and then after a short conference, Dragomir and Karrik agree to put their strength to the test and try to pull the door off its hinges.

Strength test: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Aid another: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Strength test: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Aid another: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Strength test: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Aid another: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Strength test: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Aid another: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

After around a minute or so, they manage to haul the door loose with a clang that echoes throughout the now-deserted halls of the upper floor. They carefully lower the sizeable door to the ground and rest it against the opposite wall.

With trepidation, you approach the body in the cell, and get your first look around the corner.

While the cell is certainly the most spacious, it is no less spartan than the others. The remains of a cot sit in one corner, with a small bedside table that has a mouldy book on top. Other shelves are attached to the cell walls, containing other books. A few partial titles are legible--Raj recognises one as Galdyce's Guest--but there is no clear pattern to the types of books on the shelves. The one on the bedside table has no obvious title and is bound in leather.

Otherwise, the only item in the cell is the body--bound in heavy chains with weights attached, from several different religions including Iomedae, Calistria, Asmodeus, Sarenrae and Pharasma.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Theron stands to the side of the opened door, draws his bow and readies a blunt arrow at currently inactive skeleton. At the same time, he also begins Detecting Evil in the room. See if you can find anything useful among his belongings, I'll warn you if I sense any evil presences gathering in the room.

Sure, Theron is good at searching... but maybe his detect evil will keep us from getting hit with a surprise round.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

*checks the map* Well, if we all tried to get into the cell... we'd take up every square of space. I suggest that at least two people should watch the hallway.


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

Karrik anticipates the big human's bravado, and he puts a halting hand on Dragomir's shoulder, "I'll go in this time." He gives the man's stirge bites a look, "Hate to get you bit again if there's any way to circumvent it... or worse."

He then tightens his grip on his thick, curved blade and steps into the room, beginning a thorough sweep.

Perception check as he moves to the body, giving it a nudge with a boot toe when he gets just within range 1d20 ⇒ 18.

His black eyes can't help but scan the book titles, looking for any clues.

Will Knowledge: Arcana or Planes give any clues as to the books? 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17.


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Lem hesitates a moment, unwilling to incur the ire of the Half-Orc.

Karrik, will you accept the blessing of Desna?

His voice is uncharacteristically quiet.

If your answer is yes, I'll hit you up with a virtue.


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

Karrik halts as he steps into the cell, looking down at the diminutive diviner. "I have no objections to the aid of Desna." As Lem gives his blessing, the half-orc finishes his thought in an equally quiet tone, "It's the mis-crediting our efforts as hers that rubs me wrong." He shrugs his thick shoulders as he continues into the room, as if the issue were settled… or at least best discussed at a more appropriate time.

status:
HP 20/20 temp HP 1
AC 15 T 11 FF 14
CMD 16 FF 15
F/R/W +6 / +2 / +4
Effects/Conditions Virtue (1 minute)


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Theron's eyes cloud over as he calls upon the power of his goddess to show him good from evil, eventually becoming a glossy black colour.

He nods to Karrik when he spots nothing, and after Lem's prayers, Karrik moves into the cell.

Karrik looks the body over carefully, but spots nothing out of the ordinary--save for the obvious fact that the body is covered in heavy chains and weights with holy symbols on them. He nudges it with a foot, but nothing happens.

The books in the cell similarly yield no new information. As far as Karrik can tell--without picking any of them up--from the titles he can read, they are a mismatched collection of novels, travelogues, history books, and books on philosophy.

2,101 to 2,150 of 2,685 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / cynarion's Carrion Crown: Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.