Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

cynarion's Carrion Crown PbP

Game Master cynarion

Professor Lorrimor, the renowned investigator and arcanist, has died. You came to his home in the town of Ravengro to pay your respects, but quickly discovered there was more to the wily old man's death than met the eye...


2,001 to 2,050 of 2,685 << first < prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | next > last >>

Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Lem frowns at Theron's revelation, realizing that his dream was part of an attack on all of them by some hidden foe.

Yes, it was Father Grimburrow. He said I was 'his' and ordered me to follow him. I was among others, and we were...undead. Who could do this? Were you all affected, as well? Who could have the strength to invade all of our dreams simultaneously? Theron, how can we go about locating the culprit?

Lem looks up, frown remaining, at Theron. The priest is out of his element hunting down hidden foes.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2
Lem Longbarrow wrote:

Lem frowns at Theron's revelation, realizing that his dream was part of an attack on all of them by some hidden foe.

Yes, it was Father Grimburrow. He said I was 'his' and ordered me to follow him. I was among others, and we were...undead. Who could do this? Were you all affected, as well? Who could have the strength to invade all of our dreams simultaneously? Theron, how can we go about locating the culprit?

Lem looks up, frown remaining, at Theron. The priest is out of his element hunting down hidden foes.

Theron listens quietly to Lem as he relates his dream... or perhaps nightmare was a better word. Every bit of information counted. It seemed like Lem and Kendra had both had nightmares of some sort... but why had his been so different? A suspicion began forming in Theron's mind, but the very thought of it almost seemed unfathomable to him.

He pushed his thoughts aside for the moment and answered Lem. "This sort of magic is going to be quite difficult to trace," Theron answered. "However, I believe we can easily narrow down the culprits. There are only three 'powers' that we've been dealing with which I could even suspect of being able to do this: The Whispering Way, the spirits of Harrowstone, and... perhaps Father Grimburrow." Alendru's name briefly crossed his mind, but inquisitor has to suppress a smile at the ridiculous thought.

The inquisitor paused for a moment and paced as he thought over the culprets. "I'm mentioning Father Grimburrow because he's demonstrated that he has both power and the ability to misuse it if he thinks it would prove a point, but I don't believe he would involve Kendra in this. As for the Whispering Way, I don't believe they're aware of us yet, so their involvement is unlikely. Besides, I don't see why they would use such a roundabout way of getting to us. That leaves the spirits of Harrowstone. I could be wrong, but it seems somehow fitting that they would inflict nightmares upon us as revenge for our incursion."

"Though, I have to wonder why Kendra was affected so strongly by it, while some of us seem completely unaffected," Theron looks over the group, and then back in the direction of the poor woman. "It is possible that she was targeted, but I can't imagine why she would be. No... perhaps it is just that with everything else that has happened, this was too much. As for us, maybe some resisted it." He hesitates for a moment before finishing. "...Or were shielded."


Male Human (Varisian) Alchemist (Preservationist) 2

Septimus grits his teeth. "I, too, dreamed. I do not feel it prudent to disclose who it was that appeared to me, but trust when I say it is no one who wished us harm. In fact, before it took a turn, my slumber was actually quite...enlightening."

Septimus pauses, seemingly on the verge of saying more, then leans thoughtfully against a wall, sweat slowly drying on his forehead.


Male Human Oracle 2

Walter guiltily did not deign to mention that his dream was, for the most part, actually fairly pleasant.

He put his hand to his forehead and thought. The voices were silent, but the motion comforted him. He looked to Kendra-- she did not look well off. He considered placing a spell on her, but decided that was just probably not a good idea.

"If it's the prison, then it's, um... startling that it has a grasp on the concept of revenge. It could also mean a, um, number of... unfortunate things. Very unfortunate things," he muttered.


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

Rose flnches a moment at the mention of dreams. As she listens to Theron speak of possible parties responsible and the others respond, her hand unconsciously goes to her chest, a phantom pain still present. "Revenge or not, it did feel as an attack. I would prefer to believe they are afraid and attempting to frighten us off." It's clear from Rose's low voice and unfocused eyes she's far more uncertain than her words let on.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Theron listened to the others stories and concerns, and began to worry more about his own dream. It was becoming increasingly apparent that he should have been aflicted by the same nightmare as everyone else, but instead had been shielded from it. He was thankful for the intervention, but he didn't want to distract the group by mentioning it's source. The warning he had received was also an object of worry....

Being unused to having such thoughts, Theron forced himself to refocus his attention on the matter at hand. "If it is Harrowstone that is responsible for this attack, then the attacks will stop when we purify that cursed place," Theron stated.

After thinking for a moment, Theron realized there was one thing they needed to deal with. He preferred having his own god's protections, but in this situation it would probably be better to have an expert handle this. Besides, he couldn't burden one of Iomedae's servants with the task of guarding his dreams. "Lem, Dreams are a part of Desna's domain, correct? For all we know it will take several days, if not more, to purify Harrowstone. Do think you could come up with a way to protect us from this sort of attack in the meantime? I'm not asking for a miracle of course, but anything might help."

For Lem:

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Whoops, Theron failed at sending a secret message ;)

Yea, I know by the raw rules Lem probably doesn't have something that can help us here, but it seemed like a fitting question. Maybe Cyn will let him preach at us before bed for a +1 to saves vs nightmares, hah ;)


Raj keeps his focus on the chilled mage, a task made easier by his reticence to discuss his own dream. Hoping to quickly warm Kendra, he attempts to force his mind along the strange occult path that will allow him to cast a warming spell. With all the distractions and the doubts that occupy his thoughts, his concentration fails.

Raj looks to Rose, "Miss Rose, can you..." He runs over the unfamiliar term he'd read in the library, "prestidigitate this blanket to warm it? That might help." It isn't quite a plea, but it's close.

Swift INT Check 1d20 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 1 - 2 = 3 v DC15 to cast Prestidigitation


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Performance anxiety affecting you Raj?
Not sure how you could protect from dreams... protection from evil would likely work but not on a realistic duration.


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

Rose shifts uncomfortably as Rajuna turns to look at her, realizing she is still only in her nightclothes. "I'm sorry, Rajuna. I don't have that type of magic prepared at present. I can go fix some tea, perhaps you can get her to drink some." She quickly turns and heads out of the room, heading to her room first so she can grab her nightgown.

Violet walks down the city streets. She knows she is being followed, but it's not the first time. A cutthroat probably, thinking her an easy strike. Her hand rests easily on top of the blade concealed beneath her cloak. She hoped she would not be required to kill, just scare him off. Heading down a side street where she would have the advantage, she turns to meet her stalker. No one in sight, momentary confusion is met by a sound behind her. She turns to meet a set of red eyes. She tries to draw her sword, managing to get it half-way out before the creature puts his hand on top of hers and resheathes it. Violet tries to turn and run, but her body doesn't listen. The creature smiles as it looks at her, it's face descending for her neck...

Rose gets to her room, the dream coming back to her as she walks. She enters her room, scanning the room for her gown. She puts her belt and sword on her bed while she dons the robe, planning to leave them behind, not needed in this sanctuary. She looks up and starts for a moment, seeing her reflection in the mirror on the dresser.

Weak and delirious from blood loss, Violet desparatly tries to find someone to help her. Finally at one of the houses she visits, the man inside opens the door. He's young, a worried look crossing his face as he sees her. Violet lets out a final plea for help before she finally succumbs, falling into darkness...

Having buckled her swordbelt and pouch on underneath her robe, Rose also retrieves her spellbook from her pack, as well as another book. The one she had found earlier. Giving a last look in the mirror to ensure her reflection is still present, she heads downstairs to the kitchen. She begins boiling a kettle of water for the tea and retrieving the necessary items, hands shaking as she moves.

Violet lays chained to the table. The young man Petros stands over her. The urges have come too often, too powerfully. She can barely retain any thought as the desire to drink upon his essence comes upon her. In a moment of her calm, they had agreed it was too late. Petros takes up the sharpened wood. She could see the doubt in his eyes, wishing there was another way. She takes the last bit of herself still open to her, only able to speak a single word. Please. She watches as she is released from the prison her own body had become for her soul.

A pain from long ago fading away, Rose opens her spellbook and sets to study while the water boils. Concern for what the professor may have done to help her is still present, but it needs to wait. She owes him a great debt, and his daughter suffers now. Not certain what to do, she can at least do this small thing. If the spirits of Harrowstone were behind it, she would go back and put them to rest.


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2
Theron Adrezi wrote:

Theron listened to the others stories and concerns, and began to worry more about his own dream. It was becoming increasingly apparent that he should have been aflicted by the same nightmare as everyone else, but instead had been shielded from it. He was thankful for the intervention, but he didn't want to distract the group by mentioning it's source. The warning he had received was also an object of worry....

Being unused to having such thoughts, Theron forced himself to refocus his attention on the matter at hand. "If it is Harrowstone that is responsible for this attack, then the attacks will stop when we purify that cursed place," Theron stated.

After thinking for a moment, Theron realized there was one thing they needed to deal with. He preferred having his own god's protections, but in this situation it would probably be better to have an expert handle this. Besides, he couldn't burden one of Iomedae's servants with the task of guarding his dreams. "Lem, Dreams are a part of Desna's domain, correct? For all we know it will take several days, if not more, to purify Harrowstone. Do think you could come up with a way to protect us from this sort of attack in the meantime? I'm not asking for a miracle of course, but anything might help."

The halfling nods at Theron's concerns, then squints in thought.

Desna speaks to us in our dreams, it is true, but these were not harmful dreams in and of themselves. Rather, they were magical attacks delivered through our already-existing dreams. Though it is a slight distinction, it is of critical import. I will ask the Great Dreamer for her guidance, but I fear we will remain vulnerable until we find the corporeal source of our nightmares.

Lem's usual jovial self is absent, worry and uncertainty lining his face.


female human diviner

Kendra begins to respond to Raj's ministrations. Her shuddering sobs die down and some colour returns to her cheeks. She still has that hollow-eyed stare, though, and does not look like she is going to recover her countenance easily.

After a few minutes, Rose appears with some tea, which Kendra gratefully accepts. She goes to raise the cup to her lips, but has to use two hands to stop it from shaking.

I'm sorry, she says quietly, her voice hoarse. I had a horrifying dream. Her silence leaves no doubt that she does not want to talk about it.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

The house is quiet for another ten minutes or so, while everyone tries to recover their equilibrium. Raj retrieves his knife from the ceiling outside Kendra's room, while Kendra herself looks sideways at Rose wearing a sword under her nightgown--but the look is a relieved one.

It's just as everyone is beginning to think that they may be able to head back to their beds and get some more sleep, when there is a commotion downstairs. The front door slams open before everyone hears the sound of booted feet on the stairs. You arm yourselves with blade and spell as...


female half-orc sorcerer 2

Flori runs panting into Kendra's room.

Thank goodness, she says. I wondered where you'd got to when I found nobody downstairs. She leans on the door frame, trying to catch her breath--it's clear she finds the gathering of everyone in Kendra's room rather irregular, but that she has more important news.

It's happened again, she manages. The monument. There's a new letter.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

3:08am, Desnus 1st, Ravengro
I'll let you all decide what weapons and armour you're wearing--and that you want to visit the monument to find out what has happened!

The scene at the monument is depressingly familiar--although this time there is no crowd; it appears that the news has been kept quiet so far.

Blood glistens, painted over the carved names of those who fell when the prison burned all those years ago. This time, there are two letters--the defaced monument reads "VE".

Sheriff Caeller and all four of his deputies are present. This time there is no crowd--they have managed to keep the news quiet, for now. They have only a single torch for illumination.

The Sheriff does not look pleased.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2
Fabulous Flori wrote:
It's happened again, she manages. The monument. There's a new letter.

"Gods, I knew it," Theron says both angrily and excitedly. He couldn't help but wonder if their dream attacker was the same one who was responsible for the letters. Putting away the copy of the Acts of Iomedae that he had just picked up and was about to begin reading, he headed off to get his things. "I involved the Sheriff in this, so I'd better get over there."

Post at the monument coming later


Raj is torn in his choices - wanting to stay but equally drawn to the evidence on the stone, the only clear path towards resolution of these mysteries. "You should go... as many as want to. I can keep an eye on things here. Miss Lorrimor is doing better and I'm not likely to fall asleep for a fortnight."

Raj sets about straightening up the already straight room. Fear has a gift for focusing the mind. Raj finds his senses on high alert, conscious to Kendra's every minor action and mood. He doesn't try to get her talking; he's just as loathe to discuss his own dreams. Respecting her silence comes easily to the thief. While making a pretense of cleaning up, he simply hopes his presence will help in some vague, undefinable, way. And if the lady wants to talk, well, she probably will.

Not sure whether a Perception or Sense Motive works best here (if either is needed).

1d20 - 2 ⇒ (18) - 2 = 16

For Perception or Sense Motive, +5 to the roll


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4
Fabulous Flori wrote:

Flori runs panting into Kendra's room.

It's happened again, she manages. The monument. There's a new letter.

Dragomirs prayer halts as he hears the declaration and he immediately starts donning his armour.

I'll be out in a few minutes, he calls out to the others.

If this was back home? It won't be long before someone in the mob starts blaming us.

He works quickly as he can, taking about 5 minutes before strapping his sword at his waist and walking down stairs.

My Lady, he prays to himself, I don't know what I've fallen into here but I will try to trust thy guiding hand... guard well my soul.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2
Carrion Crown GM wrote:

The Sheriff does not look pleased.

Not sure who else is coming, but I'll go ahead and post. Theron will have his armor hastily put on, and he'll have his sword and bow this time. He also brought a large cloth that he isn't planning on reusing ;)

Theron surveys the scene grimly as he walks up to the sheriff. "I thank you for sending Flori to inform us of this," he says in a low voice. He makes an extra effort to act respectfully, since he doesn't want to give an impression that he's forcibly taking over the Sheriff's duties. "It seems that I misunderstood the records... I thought there would only be one letter. In any case, before we talk, would you mind if I took a closer look at the mark and then remove it before anyone else sees it?"

Assuming the Sheriff agrees, Theron will borrow the one torch that's being used and move closer to the mark and then use Detect Evil/Magic on it, and then use the rag he brought to clean the letters up and take a sample in the same manner the sherrif did before. He'll be making an extra effort to try and get it to look the same as before, he doesn't want extra bloodstains to tip anyone off. I guess he'll also take a 20 on perception (if allowed) during this to see if he can find any clues... after the mark has been cleaned up.


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Dragomir is fully armoured when he walks towards the monument but is empty handed apart from a torch. On arriving he gives the sheriff a solemn nod of greeting to convey respect but says little else, letting Theron do the speaking... what he does do however is squat down and start looking at the ground for tracks, waving his torch close to the earth... not that he has hope of finding any clean ones given the presence of the deputies.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Hi everyone. Bed time for me, but I'll be back in the morning to see what others have posted. Feel free to chat to the Sheriff and/or his deputies.


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

Rose dresses quickly, strapping her weapons on before heading out with the others to examine the new markings. Her hands still shake, but she would rather be doing something than sitting back at the house. Seeing the letters, she feels a moment of relief. VE couldn't be Dragomir. But still, it had to be someone. Something tickles at the back of her mind, but she's not sure what. While Theron handles the letters and Dragomir searches. Rose utters an incantation and begins looking for any signs of a magical nature.

Cast Detect Magic and look around.


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

Unwilling or unable to express his thoughts on the dream, Flori's news is a welcome interruption… if not a happy one.

Which is why he finds nearly half an hour later following Theron and Dragomir through the night. Still shaken up by the nightmare -- not to mention the events at the prison the day before -- Karrik wasn't going to leave the house without slipping on his chain shirt under his dark long coat, and finishing his attire out with spell pouch at waist and war razor and brass knuckles tucked into boot and inner coat pocket. His black eyes can't help but rush back and forth over the darkly-foreboding night landscape as he stomps behind the two humans.

Theron:
You can feel the half-orc's black eyes boring into your back from time to time, but he doesn't say anything. And again the emotion you see in his eye isn't really anger. More like frustration and a stubbornly lingering fear.

Once at the site, he gives the monument a quick look before joining Dragomir in searching for any tracks -- unlikely as it is after the sherrif's men have tromped about.

Survival (tracking) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Theron has been giving Karrik occasional concerned looks ever since they woke up, making it apparent that he has noticed the half-orc's stares. However, the inquisitor avoids bringing up the subject.

Was just thinking that taking a 20 on searching would take too long if we want to avoid attracting attention, so I'll just roll it.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10 booo


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Noticing that Karrik seemed to have a better search pattern, either due to his skill or his night vision, Dragomir did his best to search outside of Karriks path and to keep the torch out of the Half Orcs vision as best he could.

Survival (tracking - aid another) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


male human (Shoanti) ranger

The Sheriff regards the group's approach calmly.

Theron wrote:
"I thank you for sending Flori to inform us of this,"

Caeller shrugs. Things around here are usually fairly simple. Someone gets in a fight, or damages property--usually over some argument. This... he gestures at the bloodied monument, ...this is more than I can handle. If I didn't admit that, I wouldn't be much of a sheriff, would I?

Theron wrote:
"It seems that I misunderstood the records... I thought there would only be one letter. In any case, before we talk, would you mind if I took a closer look at the mark and then remove it before anyone else sees it?"

The Sheriff nods his assent, although he looks rather glum about it.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

The Bloody Letters
Theron is able to tell that the letters are indeed written in blood--a faint coppery smell hangs in the air when he gets close. The blood runs down the face of the monument in rivulets, pooling in a carved letter here and there. Other than that, there is little else to be discerned.

The letters do not radiate a magical aura to Rose's augmented sight--neither does anything else in the area. Whatever aura might have been present has faded by now.

Theron cleans them up with the rag he is holding.


male human (Shoanti) ranger

Sheriff Caeller watches Theron cleaning the blood up with his cloth.

By the way, he says, Father Grimburrow cast that spell for me yesterday. Apparently the donor for the bloody V the other night was a rat--which explains why nobody was missing. I hope we find the same this time.


female human diviner

Back at the House
Once everyone has left, Kendra gives Raj a small smile after finishing her tea.

Thank you for staying, she says. She puts the teacup down but can't hide a tremor in her hand as she does so. She quickly puts her hands back under the covers of her bed.

She sags against Raj's chest, clearly exhausted. What do you think this is all about, Raj? Is someone trying to hurt us because of what we're doing in Harrowstone? Do you think Walter is right and the prison itself is responsible?


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Tracking
Dragomir and Karrik's work turns up a couple of partial prints, but given the activity in the area over the last couple of days, and the terrain (solid stone around the monument, and scrubby grass around the riverbank) their work does not turn up anything other than the knowledge that whoever did this was humanoid, and had human-shaped (rather than e.g. dwarf-shaped) feet.

At least the presence of prints not made by the deputies implies that the culprit wasn't a ghost.


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

Tracking

Karrik looks up at Dragomir, keeping his voice hushed, "So we can determine that this wasn't written on by the town's blacksmith... or its children. Though I guess we can also reasonably deduce that -- since it's not a ghost -- that these events are only somewhat related to our presence at the prison. Either the Splatter Man is somehow able to physically walk away from the prison, or we have a copy cat killer on our hands." He removes his hat and runs a thick hand along his scalp as he thinks. "Though I suppose -- given what we know about the prison, haunts, and our own little experience with dreams being planted into even us -- there's the possibility that someone or a few someones could be the unwitting pawn of the Splatter Man or the prison."


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Dragomir also keeps his voice hushed.

I think this may be your area of expertise... what if this was a spell of some sort? I think we may have someone in town from the..., he mouths the words 'Whispering Way'.


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

It may be Karrik's... It's definitely not mine. :)

Karrik nods. "It could be key to find a way to catch the person making the marks on the monument or mark them some way. Knowing who is doing this would shed a lot of light on the mystery." He looks over at the sherriff's men. "This may be something we should allow the group to help solve."


Back at the House

Kendra wrote:
"What do you think this is all about, Raj? Is someone trying to hurt us because of what we're doing in Harrowstone? Do you think Walter is right and the prison itself is responsible?"

Raj wraps a protective arm around the woman while he tries to keep the worry from his voice and recollections of the dream at bay, "I wish I knew. I'm assumin' we've got more than one enemy at work here until I see otherwise. And that prison, well, we poked it in the eye and it definitely wasn't pleased. I don't know much about spells and such, but if castin' is anything like archery - you gotta see your target to hit it. Whatever jumped into our dreams caught us all in different rooms across the house. You know any earthly spell that can do that?" The thief eyes the woman pressed against him while he considers their opponents' capabilities. With a rough hand he nudges the tangle of her hair gently away from her face and smooths it back, exposing the delicate slope of her neck. Danger, always an intoxicant, he staves off a reckless desire to kiss her neck.

He continues quickly, turning his mind away from his wants particularly in this room, with this woman, in her current state of undress. If he didn't know better, he'd swear Iomedae was testing him. "One thing I do know... I'm going to have to start studyin' wizardry in earnest. I don't like people meddling with my head and I don't know enough about the craft to know what can and can't be done. That's a dangerous level of ignorance in this situation. So... how'd you like to take on a student?"

His eyes stray to a loose book on the floor - the Acts of Iomedae. Not for the first time, he stifles a slightly heretical curse at his overly-honorable deity, Yeah, I get the point. She needs to know. I'm workin' on it.

Bluff 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 4 - 2 = 14


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2
Benjan Caeller wrote:

Sheriff Caeller watches Theron cleaning the blood up with his cloth.

By the way, he says, Father Grimburrow cast that spell for me yesterday. Apparently the donor for the bloody V the other night was a rat--which explains why nobody was missing. I hope we find the same this time.

Theron folds up the cloth and brings it it with him when he walks back over to the sheriff. He speaks in a low voice. "That good to hear at least. If you want, I can handle bringing this one to Father Grimburrow." The inquisitor glances around at the sheriff and his deputies. "You shouldn't feel bad about not being ready for something like this. Ordinary people shouldn't have to worry about these sorts of things happening. That's why the church of Iomedae trains inquisitors like myself. Some day we'll get this land back to the way it was before the Tyrant came, and then maybe this madness will stop..."

Don't remember if the Sheriff knew that Theron was an inquisitor before, but he does now, hah.

Theron glances back at the monument and at the rest of the group who are searching the area. "I didn't find anything... unnatural about those letters. It looked as if a person just walked up and wrote them there. Perhaps I didn't come soon enough, or perhaps this really is just a copycat of some sort. I may join the next night watch so that I can get a better look if this happens again." The inquisitor thinks for a moment. "In any case, when they're done searching, we may want to move away from here before we attract any attention."

A bit later, Theron quietly speaks to the sheriff again. "I have to ask... how many people in this town have a name which starts with 'VE'? "


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Hey guys, just a heads up that my wife and I went to the hospital last night--everything's ok, she just thought the baby was coming and he wasn't quite ready. Anyway, that's why Lem has been quiet. I'll just say that he stayed behind, trying to keep watch and not wanting the others to see his fear. Seems to fit with him not wanting everyone else to be afraid, thus not wanting to show how he was affected.


male human (Shoanti) ranger

If this keeps up we'll have to start a list of 'production babies'. ; ) Good luck Lem!

Theron wrote:
"If you want, I can handle bringing this [bloody cloth] to Father Grimburrow."

The Sheriff shakes his head. I appreciate your help on this--but that's something I can do. I hope this turns out the same, but we should know soon--I asked Father Grimburrow to prepare some scrolls in case we needed the spell on short notice. I'll make sure someone comes by the Lorrimor house to let you know what I find out.

I presume Theron hands over the cloth?

Theron wrote:
"That's why the church of Iomedae trains inquisitors like myself. Some day we'll get this land back to the way it was before the Tyrant came, and then maybe this madness will stop..."

The Sheriff's eyebrows lift when Theron mentions he's an inquisitor, but at the rest of Theron's words, Caeller permits himself a dry chuckle. Planning to head to Gallowspire and finish the job? He shakes his head, and then drops his voice so that only Theron can hear him.

Theron, or Perception DC 15 +1 per 10ft. of distance:
The lands here are cursed. We bury our dead, only to have them rise up and threaten their loved ones. We fear our ancestors just as much as we revere them. And for all that we pray to Pharasma to keep us safe--for all that she has her monuments and her churches and her faithful--people keep dying.

He rubs a hand over his face, looking resigned--and tired.

Theron, or Perception DC 15 +1 per 10ft. of distance:
I dare say that this is just another wrinkle in Ustalav's long and storied past, he continues, and that when we're done, it will be consigned to the footnotes of history, buried in some book that nobody will ever read. And the victims will be forgotten, just like they always are.

He gazes off into the distance, brooding.

Theron only, Perception DC 12:
As Sheriff Caeller leans in to speak candidly, you see a symbol of Sarenrae hangs around his neck. It is normally hidden behind his shirt.

Theron wrote:
"I didn't find anything... unnatural about those letters. It looked as if a person just walked up and wrote them there. Perhaps I didn't come soon enough, or perhaps this really is just a copycat of some sort. I may join the next night watch so that I can get a better look if this happens again." The inquisitor thinks for a moment. "In any case, when they're done searching, we may want to move away from here before we attract any attention."

Sheriff Caeller nods, and, seeing that Karrik and Dragomir appear to have concluded their search, motions for his deputies to get back to their regular duties. Fortunately tonight, none of the townsfolk seem to have noticed anything.

As you all move away, the Sheriff thanks Theron for his offer to join the watch. You're welcome any time. My deputies could do with some more sleep.

Theron wrote:
"I have to ask... how many people in this town have a name which starts with 'VE'? "

The Sheriff purses his lips. This is a town of more than three hundred people, he says. I don't know every one of them by name. But there are two I do know: Vespasian--he's a trader from Cheliax--and the Avanaki girl, Vesmera. Her parents run the store. Do you think they might be being targeted?


female human diviner

Back at the House
Kendra leans into Raj's supportive arm, and puts her head on his chest. Thank you for staying, she murmurs again, her eyes closed.

It isn't long before her breathing slows down and becomes shallower. After a few minutes, Raj is sure she's asleep.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

I am assuming that we can pretty much wrap up this section and move on to daytime activities? Let me know what you plan to do--revisit the prison, go buy more stuff, stay in town, track down NPCs...


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Back at the house Dragomir props himself on the front porch and watches over the area until the sun rises, thinking and sometimes praying.


Rajuna almost laughs at how quickly Kendra falls asleep in his arms.
Guess I'm not much of a conversationalist.

After a couple of aborted attempts, he realises that he can't get off the bed without waking her and the woman clearly needs sleep. With no choice in the matter, he carefully props a pillow behind himself, trying to get comfortable. With a little effort, he makes an adequate spot for himself and settles in to await the dawn.

He enjoys a rare privilege - rare in his life at least - and watches the pretty mage sleep.

It's a strange thing, he ponders someone trusting enough to fall asleep against you... especially after a night like this.

Rajuna figures Kendra was either flat-out exhausted or - and this idea comes with a curious sense of warmth to him - she felt so protected in his company that she could drift off that easily. He pulls the cover up to her chin and tucks them in.

She might need the warmth but - more to the point - from his position behind her it was far too easy for his eyes to wander down her neckline towards her perilously thin nightie... Even a saint might be tempted to peek a little bit. And Raj knew he was far more of a sinner than a saint - so it was best to sidestep temptation.

You are a bad man, Raj, a bad man.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Theron nods and hands the sheriff the bloody cloth.

Benjan Caeller wrote:
Planning to head to Gallowspire and finish the job?

He smiles a bit sadly at the sheriff's remark, but says nothing. Yes, everyone knows that we'll probably never kill the Tyrant. But that can't stop me from hoping for a land with no more pointless deaths... no more family lost.

When the Sheriff Benjan begins speaking to Theron in a low voice, he quietly listens. The man's thoughts mirrored those of the people from Theron's home down, during the attack.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27 Yep ;)

Feeling that he shouldn't stay silent, Theron tries to think of something to say which could brighten the Sheriff's spirits a bit. Maybe something that would appeal to his's beliefs....

Perception DC 15 +1 per 10ft. of distance:
Even if history forgets what happened during these dark times, the efforts of good men won't be pointless. Whether we simply keep things from getting worse, or we actually manage to... bring light back to this cursed land, future generations will be thankful for it.


Male Human Oracle 2
Benjan Caeller wrote:
Do you think they might be being targeted?

Walter wondered when he would have to tell the group that he was told by a bird to protect Vesmera.

He decided... it was not right now.

He did Theron the courtesy of trying not to listen when his voice came low, and just wandered the perimeter. He wondered what it would take to help him get into the mental state of a deranged lunatic writing bloody letters on things. Where was this person getting the blood from?

The attic! It must be the attic!! a voice shouted.

Oh, be quiet, he murmured back-- maybe out loud, but no one seemed to notice.

Walter paced, hand to his head, being ultimately unhelpful.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2
Benjan Caeller wrote:
Do you think they might be being targeted?

Theron nods and replies in a low voice, "All I have to go on is the record's I've read about the Splatter Man. If we assume that this works the same way as in the past, then the perpetrator will try to kill the person who's name he's spelled."


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Wow, I mangled that last post.

After thinking for a moment, Theron adds, "There's a chance that he'll come back again tonight to rewrite his letters if he realizes we've erased them already. I think I'll watch the monument for a bit. Do you think one of your deputies would be able to switch with me later? We may want to have this place under constant watch during the night if possible, unless we can think of a better solution."

The inquisitor goes back and spends some time positioning himself so that he can be as well hidden as possible while being close enough to see anyone messing with the monument (or if bloody letters randomly appear on it). This means he's sitting withing 20-40 feet of the monument, depending on the light.

Yea, I don't want to have Theron watching for too long because I want him to be fully rested for Harrowstone tomorrow, but I just figure it would be a good idea to have someone watch the monument for a bit. He's going to try and avoid using lights. I'm assuming it isn't pitch black out? Actually, if there is no moon or starlight, I guess Theron wouldn't even bother trying to do this, so you could just ignore this post XD

Stealth Take 20: 20+7 = 27
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Theron: at this hour, the moon has already gone down; you recall seeing it in the skies during the afternoon. It is, therefore, pretty dark out; in addition, it's overcast, so there's not even any starlight. Effectively, the conditions count as darkness, making Theron count as blind unless he has a light source.

In any case, I'm happy to tell you that even if he does spend time rigging up some sort of solution, nothing untoward happens throughout the remainder of the night.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

5:48am, Desnus 1st, Harrowstone
Having stolen out of the town around 5am, the group finds itself assembled once more outside the front of the prison. Dragomir, in a repeat of yesterday's entry to the prison grounds, strides forward in order to be the first one through the gates. He braces himself for the same burning, horrifying sensation that he felt yesterday, but only feels a distant prickle.

Either the spirits of Harrowstone are quiescent for now, or they are simply saving themselves up for a larger assault.

You make your way across the grounds of the prison, past the collapsed remains of the warden's residence, to stand near the front door. The prison looms before you.

###

Updated map here: (link). I've now included the ground floor, and all the stuff you could work out by looking through the barred windows from outside. The bars will not budge, should you decide to try pulling them out.

I have not yet updated the contents of every room, but I have labelled them for you based on your assumptions as to each room's function.

To recap, there are a few different ways into the prison:
--via the front door.
--via the door on the west balcony, whose lock Raj picked last time. (This was your previous means of entrance.)
--by climbing around the east wall to reach the ruined room on the ground floor. You will need to climb above the pond though.
--by climbing over the rubble at the back of the prison, in the northeast corner.

They're the ones you know of, anyway.

Have at it. : )


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

I vote for going in the same way as last time.


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

As do I


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

I'll third that.


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

4th'd

2,001 to 2,050 of 2,685 << first < prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / cynarion's Carrion Crown: Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.