Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


cynarion's Carrion Crown PbP

Game Master cynarion

Professor Lorrimor, the renowned investigator and arcanist, has died. You came to his home in the town of Ravengro to pay your respects, but quickly discovered there was more to the wily old man's death than met the eye...


1,251 to 1,300 of 2,685 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>

Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2
Dragomir Vuk wrote:
I had it in hand - you missed that :)

Ah, sorry then ;)


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

Karrik can't even seem to get a curse out quick enough to respond to the rats.

Karrik would have tried to stay generally in his place in the usual marching order... I"m fine with that putting me wherever in this scenario.

He does still have a handful of Alchemist's fire, though, if anyone would like to throw one. :)


Male Human Oracle 2

Walter gasps, points, and loudly exclaims "Rats!!"

Just pointing out that if the DC for Sense Motive was 20 and the DC for Perception was 25, Walter is actually better at sensing the rats motive than seeing them coming. +1 sense motive makes me succeed on a 19 or 20, but +5 perception just lets me succeed on a 20. So if you're rolling whichever he's better at... >>; No big deal though. I'm excited to get swarmed.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

When the normal rounds come along, I'm going to have Theron act close to last since he's in the back. That way, I'll be able to see who moves where and plan my throw accordingly.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot
Septimus Smythe wrote:
Carrion Crown GM wrote:

(Total damage dealt: 10 (6 base + 3 extra vs. swarms + 1 splash).

Depending on how we want to interpret the rule, alchemists deal "the minimum damage of the bomb" as splash damage. That would mean 5 splash in this case, which would be a total of 14 damage on the rat swarm. That seems like an awful lot, though, so feel free to rule zero as you please.

Nope, you're right; I didn't know that rule! Thanks. : ) 14 damage it is. The rats keep coming. : )


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

If a standard action also allows for a 5ft step for an attack, then I am also stepping back 5ft


mysterious male human purveyor of plot
Dragomir wrote:
If a standard action also allows for a 5ft step for an attack, then I am also stepping back 5ft

A five-foot step is no action, so yep, you can make one in the surprise round. : )


mysterious male human purveyor of plot
Dragomir Vuk wrote:

Dragomir shouts and lobs the fire flask into the conflagration.

1d20 + 3 + 1 -4

Factored in -4 for 30 range (2 range increments)

Damage
1d6

In a non map I am gonna assume a miss won't scatter into another part of the swarm

Yeah--depending on how you interpret the rules, your miss is either going to scatter two squares (because you have gone into two additional range increments (or three squares (because you are in the third range increment); either way, it's going to miss the swarm.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

I will make an assumption that Septimus does something similar to Dragomir and that he does so in such a way that the group of heroes adopts a more dispersed formation to prevent the entire rat pack swarming all four of them.

The rats therefore have two choices, chase after Dragomir + 1 other, or chase after Septimus + 1 other.

Septimus (1) vs. Dragomir (2): 1d2 ⇒ 1; Septimus it is

Now, to see who Septimus is standing next to:
Walter (1) vs. Raj (2): 1d2 ⇒ 1; here they come Walter!

Team Rat Swarm's Surprise Round
The rat swarm makes a double move, and ends up swarming over Walter and Septimus.

Nom nom nom damage for Septimus: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Nom nom nom damage for Walter: 1d6 ⇒ 3

Both of you please make a DC 14 Fort save; failure means you are nauseated for one round (you may only take a single move action).

Rolls for disease will come later. : D

Surprise Round Recap
As Dragomir, Raj, Septimus and Walter discuss what to do about the rat swarm, the decision is taken out of their hands as the rats boil out of the ruined tower.

Septimus and Dragomir are both able to react in time, and Septimus throws a bomb while Dragomir lobs a flask of alchemist's fire. The bomb annihilates dozens of rodents, but Dragomir's flask goes wide and merely ignites a patch of overgrown weeds, although the flames die down quickly in the damp grass.

Then the rats are among them, gnawing, chewing, slavering...the sensation of them crawling on your skin is disgusting, and the smell is worse than the open sewers that still run through some of the older parts of Tamrivena.

###

Disposition Update
The rat swarm has both Walter and Septimus within its grasp. Raj and Dragomir are only just outside the swarm's extent. Theron is 25 feet away from the swarm, and let's say Rose, Karrik and Lem are 15 feet away.

Enemy Health Levels
Rat Swarm: Healthy---Bruised---Wounded---Near Death---Unconscious---Bleeding Out---Dead

###

ROUND 1 BEGINS!
Have at it, folks. Try not to singe your comrades. ; )


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Still have an acid flask in hand - can I aim for a part of the swarm that ISNT gonna result in targeting my allies directly? Otherwise...

Dragomir hurls his acid that he transferred from his left hand to the right and tosses it into the mass of rodents.

To Hit
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Damage
1d6 ⇒ 6

He then takes another step back and draws his great big fighting knife from the small of his back and shrugs off his pack.

The 'knife' is 'bout as useful as a solar powered flash light but its something he'd do.


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Crap, ninjaed by Dragomir :-). I was just going to say, I'm going to post in a few minutes, so if you guys can hold off I'll inspire courage and boost everyone's damage. Dah well.


Male Human (Varisian) Alchemist (Preservationist) 2

Ugh, a spider!

Fort Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Its still the same round - technically working should still work... also is there a map posted anywhere?


Male Human (Varisian) Alchemist (Preservationist) 2

Septimus chokes back his bile as the rat swarm writhes around him. His bomb has been effective, he sees, but not nearly so much as he had hoped.

"Kid! He shouts at Walter over the squeaking cacophony. "Back out of here. You first! If we stand our ground, we're liable to get eaten alive by acid and rodents both!"

Once Walter has taken his action, and hopefully before anyone else is foolish enough to wade into the swarm, Septimus also retreats cautiously, unlatches another bomb, and lets loose once again. "It's a good thing you brought the double agent with you, isn't it?"

Actions:
Free: Shout to Walter. Delay until Walter is out of the swarm.

Move: Retreat 30 feat out of the swarm.

Standard: Mad Bomber What Bombs At Midnight

Dice:
Bomb! 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Gah! I got sidetracked! Ok, I'm posting right now. Hopefully if you're delaying before throwing I can still affect your throw.


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Lem saw his companions engulfed in the roiling mass of rodents and feared for there safety. I can't let them see my worry, he thought, trying to bolster himself. Bluff to hide my concern 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

He once again projected his voice above the din, hoping they could hear him over the gnashing rodents.

Our weapons are effective! Don't panic--fall back and spread out, and aim for the center of the mass!

Standard: Inspire Courage (5/7) rounds remaining. Move: 30 ft back


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Theron was caught off guard by the sudden swarm of rats, and rushed to pull out his remaining flask of acid as he saw them engulf Walter and Septimus. Pulled one of his flasks of acid out of his pack, and threw it as soon as Walter and Septimus were out of the way...

Modifiers: Inspire, Point Blank Shot
Move: Pull out flask of acid
Five foot step towards swarm to reduce range penalty...
(Once Walter and Septimus are away) Attack: 1d20 + 3 + 1 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 3 + 1 + 1 - 2 = 14
Damage: 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 + 1 = 6 + 50% = 9

Yea, stepping up so that the range is 20ft would mean I only have a -2 range penalty, right? If that isn't the case, I'll instead just throw and then 5 ft step BACKWARDS ;)


Male Human Oracle 2

Fortitude Save versus Ratitude - 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Reflex Save versus friendly fire (if needed) - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Walter shouted a completely embarassing, undeniably high-pitched array of panicked noises and fled out of the pile of rodents shouting. He brushed handfuls of the screeching rats off his shoulders and thighs, gasping and exclaming "Why can't they be giant and easy to compartmentalize, like everything else in the world?!"

Spoiler:

HP 6/9


If need be, Raj will take a 5' move to get within 1 range increment of the swarm.

Lem Longbarrow wrote:
Don't panic--fall back and spread out...

Who is panicking?

Raj watches the rats swarm over Septimus and Walter. He pulls the bottle of Alchemist's Fire from his sash and waits for them to get clear before stepping closer to ensure his accuracy as he throws the flask into the heart of the squirming pile of rodents.

MOVE: Pull Alchemist's Fire
STAND: Toss it

Attack:
STAND: Alchemist's Fire (crit: 20/2x):
MODS: Inspire
HIT: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 4 + 1 = 19
DAM (1st Round): 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
DAM (2nd Round): 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Miss Direction: 1d8 ⇒ 2

Status:
HP: 10 / 10
AC:16 T:14 FF:12
CMD:17 FF:13
Fort:+2 ; Reflex:+6 ; Will:+1
Effects:
Inspire - +1 ATT/DAM & +1 Charm Saves


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

Okay, regretting not taking an acid or fire now.

Rose watches helplessly as the rats swarm over her companions. "Dirty little creatures!" Taking her sword in two hands, Rose attempts to batter as many of the creatures as she can.

Not sure if a Rat Swarm is a half damage swarm or no damage swarm. About to find out. Swift for Arcane Enhancement, Move to get in melee (preferably away from others), Standard to swing.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Okay, thanks for your patience everyone. : )

###

ROUND 1 RECAP
I have adjudicated that your actions occur in the most sensible order.

Team PC Actions

  • Walter shrieks and brushes the rats off himself in an effort to escape the swarm, which he does--just barely, retching the whole time.
  • Septimus, seeing Walter has made good his escape, backs away and throws a bomb back into the squirming mass of rodents. The air is rent by squeals as yet more of the rodents are roasted alive.
  • Lem, his voice wavering just a little, attempts to boost his friends' courage with another sermon.
  • Dragomir, Theron and Raj--perhaps emboldened by the little priest's words--hurl various alchemical substances as the roiling mass of rats. It's unclear precisely what happens in the conflagration, but when the noxious smoke clears (acid + fire cannot be a good idea...), the remaining handful of live rats are seeking shelter. The rest are still burning from Raj's alchemist's fire.
  • Rose discovers rat swarms are the half-damage type as she methodically stabs a few of them as they try to escape.
  • Karrik looks dashing. His hat is at a jaunty angle. ; )

Thus endeth Round 1--and the rats. : )

###

Rose:
As the smoke parts, one of the still-living rats looks up at you and seems to sneer just before you skewer it. You get the feeling some malign intelligence has just weighed you up, and you have been found wanting. Overall it is quite unsettling.

Walter, Septimus, please make me a DC 14 Fortitude save. If you fail, I will get back to you with further detail as and when required. : )

If anyone is cold, they can now enjoy the rat-scented bonfire. : D


Carrion Crown GM wrote:
Thus endeth Round 1--and the rats. : )

Battle XP

Defeated
1 × advanced rat swarm (CR 3): 800 XP
TOTAL XP: 800

Total XP per PC: 100

You all gain 100 XP.

Running Total: 1,735 XP


Cyn, is there some way into the tower - something to search here?

Perception (if needed) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15


mysterious male human purveyor of plot
Rajuna Two-Fangs wrote:

Cyn, is there some way into the tower - something to search here?

Perception (if needed) 1d20+4

Nope, the tower is empty (except for an over-abundance of foul-smelling rat droppings). Nothing to see here. Move along, citizen. : )


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Go Blue Team

Useful concoctions these[b], Dragomir says favourably as he watches the flaming and melting mass of rodenthood, [b]I'm all for getting some more made later or buying them if worse comes to worse.


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

Rose shivers. "I'm not sure if it's this place getting to me or not, but I could've sworn that rat gave me a dirty look as I struck it. I cannot wait to be finished here." She wipes away the blood before sheathing her blade.


Male Human (Varisian) Alchemist (Preservationist) 2

Fort Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

Karrik -- stunned by his own alarming levels of dashingosity in his jauntily-angled hat -- can only watch while the team is attacked and disperses the disgusting rat horde. "Uh… excellent job, guys." He punctuates the encouragement with a halfhearted flourish of his scimitar.

Dragomir Vuk wrote:
"Useful concoctions these," Dragomir says favourably as he watches the flaming and melting mass of rodenthood, "I'm all for getting some more made later or buying them if worse comes to worse."

Karrik nods at Dragomir -- seemingly unaware that for the first time his looks at the big man aren't filled with distaste or hostility -- "The Professor was a smart man. It shouldn't surprise us that he knew how to be prepared for this endeavor. I can help Septimus make more when we arrive back at Miss Kendra's place."


Male Human (Varisian) Alchemist (Preservationist) 2

Septimus grins. "I would say that it is certainly in our best interest to be over-prepared, if this morning is any indication of what we face. I am sure that given more time to explore the Professor's lab I could make very...helpful...use of it."


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Well... lets check the other side of the building - maybe the entrance that Raj was looking for near that lake is on the other side.


I'm not entirely sure but I think we may have already swung around the Easterly side of the building and it was all wall. From what we saw through the lake-side hole in the wall, it looks like the East side got gutted in the fire. Is that correct, Cyn? Or have we not investigated that side yet?

Miss Rose wrote:
"I'm not sure if it's this place getting to me or not, but I could've sworn that rat gave me a dirty look as I struck it. I cannot wait to be finished here."

Raj glances suspiciously at the main prison building, recalling the gloomy, angry, impression he got when Lem started blessing the place. "Wouldn't surprise me if this whole place is givin' us a dirty look."


Eyeing the dapper half-orc, Rajuna says, "'S your pack clinkin'? If you got a spare Alchemist's Fire - I'd be obliged if I might have one."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Oracle 2

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

yessss. soon, walter will spend the next two months of gameplay home sick with 6 con damage. :P

Walter retches a little and shakes. "I think one got in my mouth."

He considers a gouged wound on his forearm for a moment, blood pooling across his skin, before clenching his fist. He rubs his other hand into the gash and, after a moment, nothing remains. Even the blood is missing-- especially from the cuff of his coat.

1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

3 damage could mean the difference between life and death, especially in a world of orcs with 2d4+4 falchions.

Spoiler:
2/4 spells cast.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Lol! I knew it. I hope someone will be able to use the heal skill on Walter later ;)

Theron gives Walter a worried look. He had better not go and die after I went and gave him that 'grow up' speech to get him into this.

I could use a spare Alchemist's Fire as well, if we have enough to go around. I wouldn't be surprised if we found more rats inside the prison itself.


Not enjoying the smell of barbequed rodent, Raj hopes the western balcony will nose better. He mounts the steps cautiously while putting away the Alchemist's Fire and peeks over the edge of the balcony, ready to lash his rope around the sturdiest looking bit of masonry before exploring the roof-deck.

Climb 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9 ohh, piece of candy!
Stealth 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

I am assuming that while Raj climbs the stairs, the rest of you are waiting at the base.

###

Raj heads up the stairs, testing each one carefully before mounting the next. One end of his rope is tied firmly around his waist, the other coiled in his hands. Eventually, he is able to see across the breadth of the balcony.

He reports that it looks clear--although there is what looks like a bloodstained headsman's block in the centre, and a rack of rusted weapons over near a door, which is in the northern end of the wall.

Gingerly, Raj ties his rope onto a crenellation, and then begins exploring.

He makes his way over to the headsman's block, and is so engrossed in both making sure his footing is sound and the block itself, that he fails to notice the rattle coming from the weapon rack until it's too late.

Even as Raj finally turns to see what's going on, a scythe and a longsword from the rack levitate into the air, their rusted blades still keen for blood after all these years. Ghostly skeletal arms form around the shaft of the scythe and the grip of the sword, festooned with the same glowing blue-grey discs that appeared around the skeletal drake--and then they make a rush for Raj, isolated on the balcony.

###

Initiative Rolls:

Team PC
Lem: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Raj: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Rose: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Walter: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Karrik: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Theron: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Dragomir: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Septimus: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Average: 18

Team Scythe
Scythe: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Longsword: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Average: 12

Team PC wins again! (One of these days... <shakes fist>)

DISPOSITION UPDATE
Raj is 20 feet from the stairs. The scythe and the longsword are between him and the stairs--he will have to take attacks of opportunity if he wants to go down the stairs. Two of you at the bottom of the stairs will be 30 feet from the animated weapons, but you may not charge as you can't go in a straight line. The rest will be more than thirty feet away. The angle is such that you cannot see what's going on on the balcony from the ground--you will have to climb the stairs or the ivy-clad wall. I have no doubt, though, that Raj's shout will make you aware that something is happening.

Raj:
Since I'm guessing this idea is going through your head, if you want to leap off the balcony using the rope, make me a Strength check (DC 10) to make sure you have a firm enough grip on the rope that you don't fall off and land on the ground anyway (failure: 2d6 falling damage, negated by Acrobatics etc as usual), and make me a DC 10 Acrobatics check to make sure you land well enough to avoid falling over (failure: fall prone, roll not required if you fail the Strength check).

Alternatively, if you want to abseil down the wall rather than leap off, make me a DC 5 Climb check, but you will be stuck halfway down the wall at the end of the round.

I trust you to come up with any variations that fit within the interstices of what I've outlined and roll appropriate checks. : )

Walter:
The voices in your head have risen to a cacophony; this has no in-game rules-based effect, but there seem to be new voices shouting, struggling to be heard. The feeling you get is a roiling mixture of fear, pain, loathing, desperation and incandescent anger. Clearly, this is one of the parts of Harrowstone where the vengeful spirits have a strong hold.

To work out what these things are, you need to roll Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (religion).

Have at it.

ROUND 1 BEGINS
Round 1 will end at 7am AEST on Wednesday or earlier etc. etc.. : )


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Apparently, I need to put some points in climb so I can follow Raj into these deathtraps... lol


Despite his mounting concern, curiosity almost overrides self-preservation. The door intrigues him and - if this is one of those 'haunts' everyone keeps talking about - he imagines the bloodstained butcher's block must have something to do with it. 50 years out in th' elements and the blood not washed away? That can't be right, cannit?

He tries to keep his voice measured as he backs up further. "OK... we got a door, a weapon's rack, and an execution block. We also got a dancin' scythe and sword bein' held by ghosty arms; they mean business and are hard upon the stairs. They don't seem ta like me up here... an' I'm agreein' with'em."

Raj launches himself over the wall. Burnoose flying, the Varisian feels the rope snap taut on his arm as he throws himself at angle to catch the pendulum effect of the rope. At the top of his arc, he plummets in a sweeping curve down the wall, his arm nearly pulled from its socket by the shock. Fortunately, he maintains his grip on the rope and run/tumbles down the wall, trying to slow his fall.

He lets the rope go as he tumbles onto the dirt path leading up to the foot of the stairs, skillfully avoiding most of the broken bits of masonry that litter the base of the wall. Dusty and bruised he rolls to his feet - little worse for wear.

MOVE: Back the $&*# UP!
MOVE: Jump

STR Check (DC10) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Acrobatics (DC10) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18


mysterious male human purveyor of plot
Theron Adrezi wrote:
Apparently, I need to put some points in climb so I can follow Raj into these deathtraps... lol

The stairs are just fine. No need for Climbing them, you can walk (or run) up them just fine. With nobody having Knowledge (engineering), though, I can't tell you that the balcony is perfectly stable and that nobody needs to worry about it falling down. ; )


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2
Rajuna Two-Fangs wrote:
He tries to keep his voice measured as he backs up further. "OK... we got a door, a weapon's rack, and an execution block. We also got a dancin' scythe and sword bein' held by ghosty arms; they mean business and are hard upon the stairs. They don't seem ta like me up here... an' I'm agreein' with'em."

Theron readies his bow and quickly reviews the knowledge that his instructors had drilled into his mind to determine what they're dealing with...

Knowledge (arcana) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Knowledge (religion) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

...and he draws a blank. If only those books hadn't been so tiresome! Well, it was probably a ghost or spirit of some type...

Theron delays his action for a moment to see if the others can guess at what Raj saw, but I'm thinking disrupt undead.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot
Raj wrote:

Raj launches himself over the wall. Burnoose flying, the Varisian feels the rope snap taut on his arm as he throws himself at angle to catch the pendulum effect of the rope. At the top of his arc, he plummets in a sweeping curve down the wall, his arm nearly pulled from its socket by the shock. Fortunately, he maintains his grip on the rope and run/tumbles down the wall, trying to slow his fall.

He lets the rope go as he tumbles onto the dirt path leading up to the foot of the stairs, skillfully avoiding most of the broken bits of masonry that litter the base of the wall. Dusty and bruised he rolls to his feet - little worse for wear.

Bahahaha...

What Raj thinks he looked like.

What Raj actually looked like.

; )


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

LoL, I remember that episode

Lem tilts his head upward, listening and squinting as he tries to remember.

Knowledge (Religion) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Stand fast, friends--this might be one of the haunts of which we spoke. It will try to use our fear against us, but fear not! The light of Desna shines in even the darkest of places.

Standard: Inspire Courage (rounds remaining 4/7)
Move: I'll move almost to the top of the stairs, but not quite, brandishing my Aspergillum


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Lem:
When you're almost at the top of the stairs, you can see the scythe and longsword clearly--they are floating in mid air, supported by ghostly arms that are clearly insubstantial. The real danger is in the weapons themselves--but you are certain that there is some sort of undead presence inhabiting the weapons as well.


Carrion Crown GM wrote:

Bahahaha...

What Raj thinks he looked like.

What Raj actually looked like.

; )

Actually, I was envisioning something closer to Homer myself... except Homer is too dumb to be afraid. :D


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

As Lem gets closer, he gets a better look and shouts down to his companions.

The weapons are real, but the animating force is some sort of undead presence, he says, half turning to the others behind him while trying to keep an eye on the weapons.


Male Human Oracle 2

"Here we go again," Walter muttered as he placed his hand to his temple to try to assuage the voices.

Standard to cast bless again, and then... move action to listen to the new voices. Why not? Maybe they'll say something interesting.

Perception - 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

Round 1

Stats:

HP 12/12
AC16 FF14 T12 CMD15
F/R/W 3/2/2
Arcane Pool 3/4
Effects: Bless, Inspire Competence

Rose fires a ray of positive energy at the scythe before running up the stairs to engage in melee. "Can weapons hurt them?"

Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Disrupt Undead: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 Touch AC

Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2


Male Human (Varisian) Alchemist (Preservationist) 2

Septimus takes a deep breath, trying to find some sort of internal balance against the seesaw of shock, adrenaline, dehydration, and general malaise he has been riding all morning. Not to mention the rats. He was only clawed here and there on the shin...but the diseases those things are vectors for...well, he pitied the poor kid who was all but drowning in rodents moments earlier.

Neither the deep breath nor the pity seem to help much.

Remembering Lem's earlier advice, Septimus roots around in his pack, withdrawing a vial of holy water. He then advances cautiously up the steps, standing about 10 feet behind Lem to leave space for his more...reckless...companions to stand toe to toe with this latest horror.

Standard: Draw Holy Water. Move: Move approx. 20 feet. Status update - HP: 9/10


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Okay kids, I am going to see what I can do about maps...I think this solution might work.

(map link)

Those in bold haven't moved yet. If you want to move to a specific spot, let me know when you post your actions. I am not going to be a hardcase about counting squares, so anything that looks pretty much reasonable will be fine; my primary aim in putting this solution together is to provide everyone with a shared understanding of what's where. On the counting squares thing, for instance, Dragomir's movement of 20 ft. would not normally be enough to get him in combat with the scythe (as he has to go around the corner of the wall, not diagonally across it), but for my purposes that's 'close enough'.

There are some limitations to this format (compared to Excel, for example), but hopefully it will do, inasmuch as we need a solution. : )

If any of you want to adjust your positions at the moment, please let me know.

Rose wrote:
Rose fires a ray of positive energy at the scythe before running up the stairs to engage in melee. "Can weapons hurt them?"

You'll need to move to the top of the stairs before firing your ray, otherwise you'll have no line of sight. But I'm happy for you to do that; I've positioned you not in melee with the weapons just yet; if you'd prefer to forgo the ray and just get stuck in, let me know.

Rose:
These are animated objects, but you don't detect any arcane way of making them animate; it must be, as Lem suggests, the vengeful spirits that are doing this. Still, you recognise that as both the longsword and the scythe are predominantly made of metal, they will be very difficult to damage; in game rule terms they have hardness 10. But yes, physical damage should work.

Lem:
Forgot to add before that these objects are probably vulnerable to positive energy just like undead are.

Walter, I'll get back to you on the voices. : )


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Cyn:
Are they vulnerable to Holy Water as well?

1,251 to 1,300 of 2,685 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / cynarion's Carrion Crown: Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.