Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

cynarion's Carrion Crown PbP

Game Master cynarion

Professor Lorrimor, the renowned investigator and arcanist, has died. You came to his home in the town of Ravengro to pay your respects, but quickly discovered there was more to the wily old man's death than met the eye...


51 to 100 of 2,685 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

female human diviner
Walter Vheist wrote:
"As for me, the Professor met me in... well, my family was very influential. Because of an, um... accident, I was placed in the care of the doctors at the Havenguard Lunatic Asylum on the coast of Lake Encarthan, just inside of Caliphas. Because I was, um... special, the head doctor called the Professor to come take a look at me." Uncomfortable with talking about the rest-- his power, the voices, the fire-- he nodded blankly. "He got me out, helped me get over my problems, taught me how to keep a handle on myself and, um... yeah. I've lived in Lepidstadt with the Bresrins for a while, now. Three years. I, um, got letters. Sometimes," he admits. A smile crosses his face. He writes just like he talks. Only person I know of that doesn't quite get the 'greeting' part of the 'greeting.' You know, like... 'Dear Walter,' and then he starts in with 'Hello, Walter!'

Kendra chuckles at Walter's rendition of her father's voice and writing style. I'm glad you're here Walter. And my father had a way about him, a knack for seeing the good in people. He saw good in you too, Walter, I guarantee it. And I'm equally sure that you will prove him right before too long.

She smiles and reaches across to pat Walter's shoulder. Thank you for coming, Walter.

Kendra turns to listen as Raj begins to speak.


female human diviner
Rajuna Two-Fangs wrote:

Given all the exotic and fine tales, his story stumbles in like a poorly dressed, second cousin. Raj repeats his wine-lubricated accounting from the previous night, selectively changing his references to 'the old man' with 'the Professor' to not offend his daughter's sensibilities. He finds his attention is not on Kendra when he mentions that his intent was to rob her father.

Raj fidgets a little while attempting to answer Kendra's question about how he worked with her father. He tries to be both specific and vague. "Your father sometimes ran into a spot of trouble, Miss Lorrimor. You go around investigating unsavory things and, well, sometimes that means you cross unsavory people. Doc, your father, he sometimes needed to get in or out of a place unnoticed. Sometimes he wanted to know the 'lay of the land' before he arrived in a town - who was who and what was what. Sometimes he needed someone to keep an eye on the folks he had suspicions about. That's where I helped out some."

Kendra's Sense Motive:
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17 Hmm...enough to get the gist, but probably not enough to go straight to the logical conclusion of such activities.

You can see Kendra is struggling to reconcile things in her head--whether it's the concept of having someone in her house who engaged in questionable activities, or the fact that her father employed someone in that fashion, you're unsure. But she does nod thoughtfully when Raj concludes his tale.

So Rajuna--may I call you Rajuna?--if I understand you correctly, you're saying that it was your job to protect my father in ways he couldn't himself. In the month or so since he died, I have learned a lot about my father. It seems there's a great deal he didn't tell me about his peregrinations. Perhaps he sought to protect me from whatever he was investigating. Sometimes, I wish he had included me more--I feel like I should have been able to protect him in return. But then, I have no idea whether my own meagre skills would have been up to the task.

In a way, then, you, she takes in everyone with a sweep of her hand, have acted in my stead. Perhaps, if you hadn't been there, Petros would have met his end well before now. Clearly, I owe you a debt of gratitude that goes well beyond your simple presence here today. So I thank you, once again, for everything you have done for me--especially all the things I never knew about.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot
Rajuna Two-Fangs wrote:
Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

There's nothing particularly untoward anywhere. Should you need to get out quickly and the front door isn't an option, the best thing to do would be to smash the large bay window in the sitting room with one of the chairs. You suspect there is another way out in the kitchen at the back, but you haven't been there to see it for yourself.

You haven't seen anything of the upstairs yet either, but there is a small window at the top of the stairs that a person Raj's size might leap through if needed. Dragomir and Karrik would have problems.

Depending on the foe, fighting inside might be difficult as the floor is littered in many places with books, papers, curios... Still, a canny fighter could use such obstacles to his own advantage.

Other than the front door, there are choke points at the door to this sitting room (which adjoins the dining room) and there is a long hallway to the kitchen at the rear, which runs past the stairs. There are three doors along the west (left) side of the hallway that, if you had to guess, probably lead to a drawing room, powder room, and perhaps a study.

Provided it could be adequately secured, the small cupboard underneath the stairs might provide a good bolt-hole.

You think there might be a cellar, but have yet to see any evidence one exists.


female human diviner
Lem Longbarrow wrote:

Lem will listen intently to everyone's stories, genuinely showing concern, excitement, or suspense at the appropriate times. When he can, he will tell the story in my profile, though he will try to downplay his own part in it.

...Little did I know that the Professor had the entire situation under control! But I helped him find that book, and after that I'd see him from time to time. I could always count on him when I came across him in my travels, and that means everything to a wanderer such as I.

Ah, a fellow traveller! I'm sure you and my father must have traded many stories over the years. While it can be a lonely life on the roads, having folk such as yourself around you can do a great deal to ease the burden. I am glad my father had the honour of your company.

Kendra turns to hear Theron's story.


female human diviner
Theron Adrezi wrote:
...I did what I could to pick off a few of them, but after the fight the professor truly believed that I had made enough of a difference to save him. I suppose he didn't have enough spells ready to deal with them all? After speaking with him for a bit, I warned him about the accusations and told him that I'd handle things. Truly, after hearing all these stories about your father, I wish I our meeting had been different, but I'm glad it did happen. Even during our brief meeting I could tell that he was a great man."

Indeed he was. Kendra smiles. I have often wondered whether my own high opinion of my father was the result of long years of association with him, always hearing his stories from his side and understanding just how much he did that went unnoticed. The more I hear from you, though--his friends and allies--the more I realise that he really was the man I made him out to be, and that Ustalav especially is immeasurably darkened by his loss.

But you are right; she continues, this is certainly not the first time his work has been misconstrued, and I doubt it will be the last. Petros is no longer around to defend his own honour, so I am certain the jackals will come out of hiding and lay into his reputation now he is gone. Gibs is just the first and the most local--and he, at least, has his ignorance to shield himself from blame. But there are plenty of others whose motives are not so free of malice.

She seems to have shrunk into the chaise--perhaps in the realisation that with her father's demise she is truly on her own.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
female human diviner
Rajuna Two-Fangs wrote:

Raj lightly taps a finger along the mantle as the talk continues then quiets. He frowns, frets, and reaches a decision. Finishing off his tea, Raj sets his cup down and takes a seat on the edge of the chaise near Kendra.

He looks at the woman sideways, speaking quietly. "I'm sorry for your loss, Miss Lorrimor. Sorrier still to interrupt your mournin' at all but the run-in with Gibs sort of makes this important. I'll be as brief as I can - your father held my marker." Not knowing if Kendra is familiar with the phrase, he translates, "I was in his debt. With his passing, as I see it, you hold that marker. So, if you need help with Gibs or otherwise, I'm your man."

He pulls a curved, scabbarded dagger from his pocket and sets it between them. It is identical to the one he placed on the coffin earlier. "This is for you. It's a good blade." He gives her a polite nod as if it concludes the matter before he quickly stands and moves to retake his place near the mantle. "Again, I'm sorry to intrude on your grief and sorry about Doc."

Kendra stares after Raj, then puts her own teacup down before slowly picking up the dagger and turning it over in her hands, as though trying to puzzle out its function. She slides it about halfway out of its sheath and tests its edge with her thumb, then slides it carefully back in again. She is quiet for a moment...and then stands up and strides over to Raj.

Whatever her intentions, she looks determined.

With the dagger still in her right hand, she throws her arms around the swarthy man. Without his armour, Raj can't help but feel Kendra's body pressed against him. She says nothing, but continues to hold Raj tight for long enough that the mood goes past 'awkward' and into 'uncomfortable'. Raj can feel Kendra's tears trickling down his neck. She smells of sandalwood.

If Raj returns the embrace, regardless of whether that's half-heartedly, in a platonic fashion, or with feeling:
Eventually, Kendra lets Raj go, but moves her hands down to grip his forearms as she takes a step back. Thank you, she says between her tears. It does me good to know that there are people like you in my life, even after my father's death. She leans in to kiss Raj lightly on the cheek before letting go entirely and moving back another pace or two. She holds the dagger up between them. I hope you will stay long enough to teach me how to use this. I wouldn't want to cut myself, she says with a small smile.

If Raj does not return the embrace at all:
Eventually, Kendra lets Raj go, stepping back a pace or two as she fidgets with the dagger in her hands. I'm sorry, she says. It's just that I miss my father so much, and hearing how all of you saw him like I did... I suppose I'm just over-emotional and tired. She holds the dagger up, watching the light glint off the metal throat of the scabbard. This is a fine weapon, and I thank you for it.

Before Kendra can say anything else about Raj's mention of his marker, there is a noise from the other end of the room--Councillor Hearthmount stands in the doorway, and you realise you have no idea how long he's been there.


middle-aged male human aristocrat/cavalier

Councillor Hearthmount seems rather abashed by all the attention after clearing his throat to announce his presence.

Very sorry to intrude, he says. I felt it best to come straight in rather than get any more wet out on the doorstep--I didn't want to drip unnecessarily on the furnishings. His smile is a little forced, and his eyes keep darting around the room, trying to take in the multitude of backgrounds represented by the eight strangers.

In...um...well...in any case, he stumbles, I have the will here, if everyone is ready for me to read it?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
female human diviner

Kendra dashes her tears away with the palms of her hands--Councillor Hearthmount's eyes widen at the sight of the sizable dagger she's holding--and smooths her gown down over her thighs before taking a seat, the dagger resting in her lap.

Yes, Vashian, thank you. We're all here. You may begin. She looks like she's steeling herself for whatever is coming next.


middle-aged male human aristocrat/cavalier

Very good. The councillor's smile is even weaker this time.

From an inside pocket of his coat, he draws a metal scroll case. He unscrews the lid, tipping a small piece of parchment out into his meaty hand. He shows the parchment to Kendra, and she nods her assent that her father's personal seal remains intact.

Councillor Hearthmount breaks the wax and unfurls the parchment, and then begins reading.

Petros Lorrimor's Last Will and Testament wrote:

I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and personal belongings entire to my daughter Kendra. Use them or sell them as you see fit, my child.

Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I have two final favors to ask.

To my friends old and new, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.

And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting my chest of tomes to you, posthumously. I ask that you please deliver the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.

Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is safe and sound. She has no one to count on now that I am gone, and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month after the date of the reading of this will.

I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this first day of Calistril, in the year 4711.

His job completed, Councillor Hearthmount looks wordlessly to Kendra, who nods to indicate he can leave. The relief on his face is quite palpable. He hands the parchment to Kendra and nods briefly to each of you before taking his leave. Out the bay window, you can see him hurrying down the path as fast as his portly legs will carry him.


female human diviner

Well, says Kendra, reading the parchment held in one hand while absent-mindedly running a thumb up and down the dagger sheath held in the other, I'm not sure that was what I expected. Frankly I'm not sure what I did expect.

She looks up from the parchment. I would like it very much if you could all stay. We have room here for all of you--although a couple may have to share. Please say you will.


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Dragomir sits stunned.

100 platinum?!... 1000 gold coin!!!!... That is enough to outfit 3 or 4 men... I could start my own crew, or enough to buy myself some plate armour like the Nobs have.. , his imaginings took another turn, or buy a half share in a decent pub... Or hell, start a small one outright! It is a fortune I could only hope to see after a lifetime of riding caravans.

So stunned was he that his mouth worked automatically without thought.

Thank you for your offer Miss, I'll take you up on that... A working man appreciates hospitality and the chance to save a few coins whenever he can.

What am I sayin?!... I'll soon be so rich as to be able to buy a house!

Dragomir rubbed at his face, trying to wake himself up.

Not sure what trouble your Da is afraid of comin' but I'll walk through fire to keep you safe. In the meantime? Just tell me what you need me to do to help.


F Half orc Sorcerer 1

Of course we will. I will, anyway.

Flori thinks of home, but it can wait a month. 100 platinum would make things much easier for her family.

Besides, we gals gotta stick together, right?


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

After a few minutes of staring at the now-empty space from which the Councillor had read the will, Karrik's only response is a long, deep sigh. He rubs his face, realizing he hadn't even known he was holding his breath as the man revealed the final words Karrik would ever hear from the Professor.

Suddenly needing something to do, he stands, heading to the fire and continuing to stoke it… poking it incessantly. As if enough effort will reveal more answers in the rising embers of the burning logs.

Still poking, he turns around to look at Kendra, "Is there anything I can do to help you prepare your home for such a large group of visitors?" It's clear he intends to stay, and he intends to do the Professor proud.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Oracle 2
Quote:

Kendra chuckles at Walter's rendition of her father's voice and writing style. I'm glad you're here Walter. And my father had a way about him, a knack for seeing the good in people. He saw good in you too, Walter, I guarantee it. And I'm equally sure that you will prove him right before too long.

She smiles and reaches across to pat Walter's shoulder. Thank you for coming, Walter.

He was confused. Did he say that at all? Wait... what? Wait. Oh, no. He looked around the room, saw Dragomir's off-kilter glance and thought to himself that now, every single person here thinks I'm a murderer or an insane person locked away in a dungeon, now I'm going to be treated like an outcast and why did I say that... He tried to keep up appearances, smiled and nodded. "Yeah," he said.

Rajuna was too cool. Scars on his face, curved daggers, the way he spoke... It made sense. As he watched Kendra hug Rajuna for what seemed like an eternity, Walter surmised that Kendra probably didn't even remember him. That was fine. He didn't know what he was expecting, and the thought that he was expecting something at the Professor's funeral from his daughter made Walter grow cold. As their embrace stretched out, he glanced at Karrik to try to see what he was thinking. Walter had gotten used to meeting women and, despite his hopes, hardly registering-- watching them gravitate to men who didn't look like they were still boys. The tangled feeling in his chest grew. He wished he could be like Rajuna.

The councilor arriving was almost a godsend, breaking up the intense silence. He smiled until he saw the same look-- the look that said 'since you don't stand out, you probably belong here for a reason'-- cross the councilor's face. Then he stopped, and kept his eyes on the floor while the will was read.

Quote:
She looks up from the parchment. I would like it very much if you could all stay. We have room here for all of you--although a couple may have to share. Please say you will.

Walter nodded. "I will."

Quote:
Still poking, he turns around to look at Kendra, "Is there anything I can do to help you prepare your home for such a large group of visitors?" It's clear he intends to stay, and he intends to do the Professor proud.

"Um, yeah," he said. "Me too."


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

The halfling considers Kendra's offer.

I would love to stay, but I can't promise it will be for a month. Once I start growing cobwebs, I'll have to move on.

He smiles to show that he means well, then continues:

Still, I'll need more permanent accommodations for Cloverleaf, and somewhere to store my wagon. It's been quite some time since I've had a roof over my head for an extended period of time, but who am I to fight that fate has brought me here?


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2
Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:

As Rose tells her story, Kendra's eyes seem to grow wider and wider. When Rose finally finishes, Kendra leaps out of her seat. She draws the samsaran into a brief but close embrace. I can't imagine what that was like, Kendra says. It must have been so hard for you...having to give up everything you'd worked so hard to achieve, even if you do have another opportunity to do it again. I imagine most people you meet say they envy you...but all those memories and past lives must take their toll on the psyche in some way.

And here you were this morning, comforting me, when you have been through everything I have and so much more besides. At least, knowing you have done that and still come out the other side gives me hope that I can do the same, some day. Thank you for sharing your story, Rose.

Rose feels a moment of sadness, but does not let it show. Few understood her people, it was something she always had to come to terms with. She knew Kendra's words were genuine, but that didn't change that they hurt in their own way.

What was more important was that it seemed to draw Kendra away from her own suffering, if but for a moment. And for that she would endure any pain. Professor Lorrimor had done her a great service in her last life, one she was not certain she could repay in this one.

Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:

Well, says Kendra, reading the parchment held in one hand while absent-mindedly running a thumb up and down the dagger sheath held in the other, I'm not sure that was what I expected. Frankly I'm not sure what I did expect.

She looks up from the parchment. I would like it very much if you could all stay. We have room here for all of you--although a couple may have to share. Please say you will.

A simple request, though those are often the most difficult. As the others agree, Rose also nods in assent, something she would have done even if the others declined. "I too am more than willing to stay." This would not repay all that the Professor had done for her, but it was a start at least.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

The will certainly had not contained what Theron thought it was going to. He had known a bit about the professor's studies of evil, but hadn't realized the extent of them. Naturally he was also surprised and interested at the mention of the 100 platinum. Gods, usually only senior inquisitors gain access to that kind of money.... it would greatly aid my hunts, but do I have the time to stay for it? Either way, I mustn't focus on the wealth here.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18 Hmm, not high enough for a 'hunch' about the professor's intentions

"Miss Lorrimor," Theron began, "I would like to honor the professor's last wishes. However, because of my duties, I'm not sure that I will be able to stay an entire month. I will do my best. Also, like the others I volunteer to help prepare your home if you need any help."

Theron paused for a moment before continuing, and time voicing his thoughts to the group as a whole, "I must say though, I am intrigued by those tombs that the professor mentioned. I think I'd like to take a look at them before they are turned in to the university. Perhaps they would give me some useful insight for my work."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kendra wrote:
You can see Kendra is struggling to reconcile things in her head--whether it's the concept of having someone in her house who engaged in questionable activities, or the fact that her father employed someone in that fashion, you're unsure.

Raj can only stoically watch the emotions play across the young woman's face. She wasn't the first to find his work distasteful. It's the price I pay.

Kendra wrote:
Kendra stares... then stands up and strides over to Raj. Whatever her intentions, she looks determined.

The scarred Varisian watches the purposeful stride with a frisson of concern. Twice women had approached him with that blade-sharp focus. The first one was a high class courtesan who mistook him for a well-heeled aristocrat, flush with coin - a goose ready to be plucked. The second... well... he spent weeks recovering from the knife she slipped between his ribs. Raj regards the pretty arcanist and thinks, with a touch of humor, this one might be the most dangerous of all.

Kendra wrote:
With the dagger still in her right hand, she throws her arms around the swarthy man. Without his armour, Raj can't help but feel Kendra's body pressed against him. She says nothing, but continues to hold Raj tight for long enough that the mood goes past 'awkward' and into 'uncomfortable'. Raj can feel Kendra's tears trickling down his neck. She smells of sandalwood.

Raj didn't know what he expected... but an armful of weeping woman wasn't it. He stiffens briefly, unsure what to do. His hands touch her hesitantly. Women were puzzling at the best of times, and this wasn't the best of times. Raj flounders mentally until he recalls his mother's death - the sense of loss and isolation. Death leaves such a hole in our lives. I only had five years with Ma; she's had a score of years with Doc. How much bigger is that space to fill? He provides what little comfort he can - holding Kendra tightly, rubbing her back, and letting her cry.

Kendra wrote:
Eventually, Kendra lets Raj go... She leans in to kiss Raj lightly on the cheek before letting go entirely... She holds the dagger up between them. "I hope you will stay long enough to teach me how to use this. I wouldn't want to cut myself", she says with a small smile.

Surprised by the kiss, the rogue touches his cheek and returns an unsure smile. "I'd... I'd be honored." He switches to a professional tone, trying to get on surer emotional ground. "Right! Lesson One - that blade goes with you everywhere. The more you carry it, the more comfortable you'll be with it." He looks her body over, considering where she'd carry the knife best and realises belatedly that his gaze could be taken in a whole other way. His eyes snap up to her face, his complexion gaining a bit of red. "We'll figure out where you should carry it another time."


The will impresses Raj, but not because of the generous coin. The Varisian prides himself on being a step ahead... but it seemed that the Professor was two more in front of that.

You always were a clever bastard, Doc. This is a snare worthy of a guildmaster.

Kendra wrote:
She looks up from the parchment. "I would like it very much if you could all stay. We have room here for all of you--although a couple may have to share. Please say you will."

Check and mate.

Raj nods, "I'm in. But I don't need a room... I can sleep on a couch or somethin'. Might be safer to have a watchdog in the hall just in case. Am I right in thinking you have a cupboard beneath the stair, a door out the kitchen, and a root cellar or somesuch? With your permission, I'll walk through the house to get the layout and then walk the perimeter."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

It wasn't often that Karrik reflected on his painful youth in Tamrivena. It was almost impossible, however, given the occasion, not to look back at the length of his history with the Professor. Kendra's words play in his head, crashing against and forever altering the memories he had of conversations with and observations of her father.

... Petros told me he had a stellar student from there … thinking about writing to his former colleagues … introduce you to the faculty … spoke about you often …

So engrossed was he that he missed many of the nuances of the conversation behind him, not that he's the most socially astute in his most perceptive moments. Karrik didn't even realize just how quickly and thoroughly his loyalty to the Professor had passed on to his daughter -- her innocent authenticity as she spoke so openly about the surprise of his orc heritage… disarming is an understatement.

He continues torturing the burning logs as a new thread of thoughts pushes the old aside.

… few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance … all manner of evil … victory over it's plans … the danger of possessing these tombs herself … to ensure that my daughter is safe and sound … no one to count on … you would have my eternal gratitude … daughter safe and sound … no one to count on … my eternal gratitude …

CRACK!

His thoughts evaporate as embers from the poked-into-destruction log flare into his face. "OH HELLS!" he rumbles as the fire threatens to leap from the fireplace into the room, belching out thick smoke. Kicking the logs deeper into the fireplace, Karrik struggles noisily with the fire-place screen to prevent any more of the fire from spreading to the sitting room.

Situation seemingly under control, he turns back to the everyone, manically trying to pat to death a few angry embers that had embedded themselves in his fine white shirt-sleeve…. all the while trying to awkwardly act like nothing had just happened.

"Um… yes… I can… uh… help Rajuna take a circuit of the house. If he is agreeable to that, of course." He continues to not-so-subtly pick at the angry black burn spots on his sleeve as he continues to think out loud. "I would like to find some time to collect my belongings from the inn, but I would suggest we not all do it at once." He mutters a few obscure words as he traces a finger intentionally from burn to burn on his sleeve. While the holes remain, at least the black marks are gone. "I believe we should keep an active watch on Miss Lorrimor as well as her house at all times. Paranoid… possibly." He gives Walter a quick knowing smile, anticipating that the young man will appreciate the logic of his next words. "Nature abhors a vacuum. So until Miss Kendra has proven that she can exert enough force to maintain her estate, we should assume that the opponents of the Professor's efforts will try to fill his void… or at least take advantage of it."


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

At the mention of the inn, and recalling Gibs from earlier, Rose realizes just how defeneseless she is herself at present, her weapons and armor left behind for the days activities. "If a fight should break out, I would be more a burden than an aid."

"I too would like to collect my things. Perhaps after the search we can send a few off. I doubt it will be needed, but all this talk has made me a tad nervous. My weapon would provide a little comfort."

Grand Lodge

Lotsa Captains here, sounds like, said Dragomir. Between the you two, he indicated Karrik and Rajuna, you're already workin on security . He pushed his palms hard against his knees and pushed himself upright.

No point in me trippin' over you... I'll head back and get my kit first, then, unless you have other plans, I'll see that we have enough cut timber and get a few pails of water ready for our cookin, and washin's and any accidental fires. He rattled through the domestic chores with a practiced practicality.

He looked at the ceiling, thinking, I'll take the spare room with the largest cot... and I warn ya, I kin be a snorer. The hulking warrior rubbed at his ruin of a nose, which looks like its been broken at least a dozen times.

Back in a bit... I may also get a bottle or two of something to make the nights pass a bit smoother.

He paused, thought and then turned to Kendra, Unless there is something more that is?


Raj looks to Dragomir, "If your headin' to the Inn, perhaps you could accompany Miss Rose? Some of these folk are... provincial. They might think a foreign woman, friend of Doc or no, is an easy target."

He gives the pale woman a deferential half-bow. "No offense meant, Miss Rose. I don't doubt your mettle but well... this is a village that ain't shy its share of idiots."


Karrik wrote:
"Um... yes... I can... uh... help Rajuna take a circuit of the house. If he is agreeable to that, of course."

"That'd be fine. Two sets of eyes is better than one."

He casts a sidelong glance at Theron - their meeting will have to wait.


F Half orc Sorcerer 1

I'll go with Rose, too. I left some things there.


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2
Rajuna Two-Fangs wrote:

Raj looks to Dragomir, "If your headin' to the Inn, perhaps you could accompany Miss Rose? Some of these folk are... provincial. They might think a foreign woman, friend of Doc or no, is an easy target."

He gives the pale woman a deferential half-bow. "No offense meant, Miss Rose. I don't doubt your mettle but well... this is a village that ain't shy its share of idiots."

Rose gives him a smile, "No offense taken. I would indeed be 'an easy target' given my present state." She turns to Dragomir. "I would be honored to accompany you, if you will allow it."

As Flori speaks up, "Thank you as well, Flori. It would be an honor as well."


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2
Karrik wrote:
"I would like to find some time to collect my belongings from the inn, but I would suggest we not all do it at once."

"Yes, heading out in separate groups is a good idea, at least until we get a better idea of the situation in town," Theron says. "I hope that there will be no more issues for either us or Miss Lorrimore, but I suppose the professor the professor didn't want us to stay here for no reason. In either case, I will wait until later to retrieve my belongings."

Theron notices Raj's glance. Unfortunately now was not a good time for them to talk... but there would certainly be chances later.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Karrik, I hope you don't mind retconning but I just got a chance to get on now so I'd like to add to your post a bit with Lem's reaction...

As the halfling leaned back in his chair contentedly, he saw Karrik fussing with the fire out of the corner of his eye. Suddenly, a spark jumped from the fire to the half-orc's clothes and he let out a curse.

Lem sprang from his chair so quickly that he almost fell on his face. He ran over to Karrik, mumbled an incantation, and 2 gallons of water dumped on his clothes, putting the fire out and drenching Karrik in the process.

He looked at Karrik sheepishly and said: Sorry friend, I saw the fire and all the books around you and, well, maybe Ms. Lorrimor can dry your clothes again?

then, after the talk of returning to the inn to get their belongings:

Might I tag along with you to the inn? I wouldn't mind changing in to something more comfortable, he says, gesturing to his bulky robes.


Male Human Oracle 2

Walter nods to Karrik's deduction. "That logic sounds, uh, sound to me. Even more reasons to stick around, then."

Walter considered that, if the sitting room of the house looked like this, then it was more than likely that whatever extra rooms the Lorrimor estate had were brick-walled with books, tomes and texts. He imagined a bed with a sheet made of books, pillows stuffed with books... it wasn't too unreasonable.

"If everyone else is going out, I'll make sure the rooms are tidy? If that's okay," he asked Kendra.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

Despite the torrential dousing, Karrik finishes his (earlier) suggestions, using his Prestidigitation to not only fix the char-marks left by the embers but to dry his clothes and the surrounding area. He carefully looks over all the books, scripts, and scrolls affected by the halfling's conjured water. "Um… thank you for that. Not-so-little known fact, Master Lem… water damage can be nearly as destructive to paper and ink as fire. Though I suppose we'll know who to call if any arsonists break in."


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Lem sprang from his chair so quickly that he almost fell on his face. He ran over to Karrik, mumbled an incantation, and 2 gallons of water dumped on his clothes, putting the fire out and drenching Karrik in the process.

And Dragomir's jaw... dropped. If Lem had the mind to he probably could have used the Mercenary's jaw as a shelf to rest his cup in.

Lem looked at Karrik sheepishly and said: Sorry friend, I saw the fire and all the books around you and, well, maybe Ms. Lorrimor can dry your clothes again? , then, after the talk of returning to the inn to get their belongings:

Might I tag along with you to the inn? I wouldn't mind changing in to something more comfortable, he says, gesturing to his bulky robes.

Dragomir struggled to regain his composure. Errrrr... sure?, wits still scrambled by what he'd just seen and other recent events, such as sipping tea with a pair of half breeds and some sort of spirit woman, and becoming fabulously wealthy for a mere month of simple guard work.


female human diviner

<rewinding momentarily...>

Rajuna Two-Fangs wrote:

Surprised by the kiss, the rogue touches his cheek and returns an unsure smile.

...

He looks her body over, considering where she'd carry the knife best and realises belatedly that his gaze could be taken in a whole other way. His eyes snap up to her face, his complexion gaining a bit of red. "We'll figure out where you should carry it another time."

Kendra gains a similar blush to her cheeks. I'll look forward to it, she says, as Councillor Hearthmount clears his throat at the other end of the room. Kendra whirls around with a guilty look on her face--which only goes a deeper shade of crimson.

<now returning you to the present...>


female human diviner

Kendra adroitly avoids the miniature deluge in her sitting room, but at the sight of Karrik sopping wet and forlorn, she can't help but let out a giggle.

Thank you Lem, that was certainly quick thinking. Unfortunately while I can dry Karrik's clothes, I don't have a simple way of cleaning up the puddle save for a mop*. She heads out of the room for a couple of minutes and returns with a mop and metal pail. Here you go, she says as she hands them to the closest person--who happens to be Theron. The mop is certainly too big for a halfling to use effectively.

As for your things at the inn, perhaps Lem, you could go with Dragomir and Rose, and bring everyone's belongings back in your cart? If you ask Sarianna nicely I'm sure you will be able to borrow the cover she provided you for the wagon for the duration of your stay, and we can keep it here. As for Cloverleaf--I presume that's your donkey?--if she** doesn't mind the outdoors then the back garden will be fine; it's not like Petros or I ever spent much time out there tending it anyway! If not, we'll get in touch with one of the local farmers to look after her. Probably Jheren, the man who changed his mind about siding with Gibs this morning. I'm sure he'd welcome the chance to help.

Karrik and Rajuna, you have the run of the house--ask any questions you need to, but please, don't touch anything in the basement. Petros had more than a few alchemical experiments going, and I simply haven't had the time or energy to go down there and take a look at them myself to make sure what's what, beyond assuring myself that nothing was going to explode.

And yes, I would welcome someone helping out with the tidying, she says to Walter. Why don't you come upstairs with me, and I'll show you where everything is? You can be my seneschal, if you like, she says with a smile.

And while you go and get your things from the inn, I'll go find the chest Petros mentioned. She moves over to the water-affected books and scrolls around Karrik's feet and casts prestidigitation again to dry them off, and then looks critically at the holes in Karrik is fingering in his fine shirt. And if you wait until tomorrow, I can fix that for you too. She heads off upstairs with Walter, humming tunelessly.

*:
I'm under the impression that prestidigitation can't actually dry things by evaporating the water--that would be too powerful for a cantrip. But I have made an assumption it can affect the water's surface tension to make it run off things rather than soaking in. Hence the puddle on Kendra's doorstep when she dried you all off; the water was just moving from your clothes to the ground at your feet. : )

**:
Just made an assumption here. Correct me if I'm wrong. : )


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Raj & Karrik's Security Report
The house layout is as follows.

GENERAL
All external ground floor walls are masonry walls (hardness 8, 90hp, break DC 35). All external first floor (the second storey of the house) walls are timber and stucco, and all internal walls are some form of timber panelling (both hardness 5, 10hp, break DC 13). There are two external doors--one at the rear from the kitchen leading to the back garden, and one at the front of the house (both strong wooden doors, hardness 5, 20hp, break DC 23). All internal doors are good wooden doors (hardness 5, 15hp, break DC 18).

EXTERIOR
The rear garden is an overgrown mess. It would be very easy for someone to hide out there--the overgrowth provides concealment, cover or soft cover in many places.

The front garden is little more than a few poorly tended and leggy mulberry bushes that look like they haven't borne fruit in a good couple of years.

The fence at the front is wrought iron. At the rear it's timber. Both are around 5ft high. There is no front gate, just an opening in the fence. There is a double-gate at the rear of the house, wide enough to admit a wagon.

The house is a good 30-40ft from its nearest neighbours on either side. There is no undergrowth around the house itself, just packed earth.

BASEMENT
20ft by 20ft. Accessed by a set of stairs in the kitchen at the rear of the property. The door is locked with a good lock (Disable Device DC 30). It is full of alchemical experiments, as Kendra advised.

GROUND FLOOR
Consists of a study, powder room and drawing room to the west, and a kitchen/pantry/cold room, dining room and sitting room to the east. The two sides of the house are divided by a shotgun hallway from the front door to the kitchen, along with a flight of stairs.

FIRST FLOOR
Consists of a master bedroom, four other rooms (one of which is Kendra's), a landing, a closet, and a second study.

ATTIC
Accessible by a trapdoor and ladder in the ceiling of the landing. Contains crates of reference books.


female human diviner

Upstairs, after Kendra shows Walter around, she leads him to the second study. All the more...esoteric pieces of Petros' collection are in this room, she says.

The small room is awash with books, trinkets and folios. Kendra heads to an armoire in the corner, opens the doors and then gets down on her hands and knees, looking for something at the bottom. That's funny, she says, her voice muffled. I could swear it was in here...

She crawls back out and stands with a finger to her chin, surveying the room. If I were Petros, where would I hide my most dangerous t--

When Walter follows Kendra's gaze, he sees a small chest sitting on top of a jumbled pile of papers and books on a desk in the corner.

Why on earth would he put this right out in the open? Kendra wonders aloud.

Even more perplexing, the key to the chest is in the lock. Kendra removes it, holding it gingerly as though expecting it to turn into something venomous.

Walter? Can you please bring this downstairs for me? I think everyone needs to be present before we try opening this chest. Something is wrong.

As she makes her way back downstairs, with Walter trailing behind her, it seems Kendra's cheerful mood has evaporated.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2
Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:
She heads out of the room for a couple of minutes and returns with a mop and metal pail. Here you go, she says as she hands them to the closest person--who happens to be Theron. The mop is certainly too big for a halfling to use effectively.

Spellcraft 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16 Yay, I know what prestidigitation is!

Initially, Theron couldn't help but be amused by the situation, but his smile faded a bit when the mop was handed to him. Suppressing a sigh, he got to work cleaning up the mess. He gave Garrik a look, "That was prestidigitation, right? Do you think you can help speed this up before the floor is ruined?" Theron also glanced at Lem, "You don't happen to know that spell as well, do you?"

And I thought that I had gotten away from my cleaning duties when I finished my training.

I'm assuming we would be done by the time Kenda and Walter come back downstairs.


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

As Karrik leaves for his circuit of the house, he looks back at Theron with a shake of his head. "Doesn't function that way. I can alter the surface of my clothes -- and even the carpet -- so it refuses to accept the water, but I cannot make the water simply disappear. It has to go somewhere… in this case either the floor or your mop. Sorry."

He ducks out of the room before he can be roped into helping, watching Rajuna as much as he does the house. Always wanted to know what this guy actually did for the Professor, he thinks as he absent-mindedly rubs the still-ruined sleeve of his shirt. Finally, he gives up, rolling pressed cuffs up to his elbows, revealing more tattoos on his gray skin that match those on his bald scalp.

The words "don't touch anything in the basement" and "more than a few alchemical experiments" draw on Karrik's will power like a master enchanter's best spell. Even as they walk away, he can't keep his eyes from drifting back to the door and what lies beneath. "If it's not a imposition, Miss Lorrimor, I would love to help you sort through the basement's contents. Another pair of trained eyes and careful hands can only help you catalog and safeguard whatever is left down there." He finishes with a hopeful smile. Diplomacy 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (15) - 2 = 13.

When Kendra departs, Karrik looks around before letting his eyes rest on Rajuna. Curiosity gets the better of propriety. "So, the Professor paid you to do reconnaissance and recovery? And you seem to have a special fondness for those curved blades. From what I can gather, gents who live by the blade either die quickly or become wonderfully handy to have around." He grins a toothy grin, "I'm hoping your very presence is evidence of the latter, in which case I will try to avoid giving you reason to give me a personal demonstration of any of the nastier skills you've acquired."


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2
Karrik wrote:
As Karrik leaves for his circuit of the house, he looks back at Theron with a shake of his head. "Doesn't function that way. I can alter the surface of my clothes -- and even the carpet -- so it refuses to accept the water, but I cannot make the water simply disappear. It has to go somewhere… in this case either the floor or your mop. Sorry."

"Yes I know, but you could get the water to..." Theron starts saying, but the half-orc makes his escape before he can finish. The inquisitor grumbles a bit and resolves to finish as quickly as he can so that he he can get a look at the professors books.

When Miss Lorrimor and Walter come down the stairs with the small chest, Theron looks at it and asks, "I assume that's not the trunk mentioned in the will... I was expecting something larger."


female human diviner
Theron Adrezi wrote:
When Miss Lorrimor and Walter come down the stairs with the small chest, Theron looks at it and asks, "I assume that's not the trunk mentioned in the will... I was expecting something larger."

Actually, says Kendra, it is.

(The chest is around 30" × 12" × 12", not counting the lid. It's made of paueliel, which anyone with ranks in Knowledge (nature) will be able to point out.)

Walter sets the chest down on one of the side tables, and Kendra--holding a key in her hand--looks at it pensively. She glances up at Theron, and in answer to his unspoken question, she says: Petros kept this chest in the bottom of his armoire. He never moved it. He didn't want anyone to find it as part of a cursory search. And yet, I found it on top of all the books and papers on the desk in his study. With the key in the lock. Something is going on, I just don't know what it is. And I would rather wait until everyone gets back before we try to open it. There's simply no telling what will happen.

The minutes draw out as everyone slowly filters back in from their tasks. (You now have all your gear back.) Soon, the group is assembled in Kendra's sitting room, all gathered around the chest, looking at it in trepidation as though it's some kind of carnival curiosity.

Nothing for it, says Kendra. She extends her hand with the key, and inserts it into the lock--but just as she's about to turn it, a strange marking on the corner of the chest catches Raj's eye...


Raj's inspection of the house is quick but meticulous; his trained eye misses little. As he walks the rooms, his thoughts bend to any number of possible objectives for an interloper:

How would I break in to steal that box? How would I find it? Where would they hide it? How would I neutralize or avoid everyone in the house? How would I break in to kill Miss Lorrimor - if I knew where her bedroom was? How would I break in to kill Miss Lorrimor - if I didn't know where she sleeps?

If I didn't know which bedroom she was in, and I couldn't risk watching the house to puzzle it out, how would I find her quickly? Could I track her by magic? Or maybe that hint of Sandalwood... Raj blinks hard.

What the hell am I thinking?

The Varisian taps on the stout door, saying to no one in particular "Well-built." before heading out to inspect the grounds with Karrik. He scowls at the plentiful cover available in the rear garden. He motions Karrik to stay where he is for a moment. Raj heads to a well concealed spot in the brambles before dashing out towards the house, tumbling over a bush to speed his passage, climbing the wall to the largest second-story bedroom window, and popping the lock. The climb was the slowest part.

He clambers down more slowly, concern painting his face. "The house is well built... but a good second-story man, which I am NOT, would be into that bedroom all too quickly."

As they continue to inspect the avenues of approach...

Karrik wrote:
...Curiosity gets the better of propriety. "So, the Professor paid you to do reconnaissance and recovery? And you seem to have a special fondness for those curved blades. From what I can gather, gents who live by the blade either die quickly or become wonderfully handy to have around." He grins a toothy grin, "I'm hoping your very presence is evidence of the latter, in which case I will try to avoid giving you reason to give me a personal demonstration of any of the nastier skills you've acquired."

Raj shoots the half-orc a look that is somewhere between a smile and sadness. His tone is as mixed as his expression, "Well, I don't cut myself shaving too often, I'll grant you that. But slinging a blade ain't half so impressive as doing magic. If your reputation is close to truth, you are a fair hand with a weapon AND magic. Now, that's a trick."

He steps a bit closer to speak quietly, ensuring his words travel no further than the half-orc. "Doc and me... coins never changed hands, just so you know. We'd help each other out. You might say our business interests intersected at times. I'm guessin' you heard more about me than you've let on, and I appreciate that. Recon ain't all I done. I'm not happy to shade the truth for Miss Lorrimor but it'd be hard to explain it. Doc knew I'd act as I'd see fit and since he wasn't payin' me, he never called the shots. He never asked me to take a blade to his enemies, nor liked it when I did, but I done it noneth'less. That's on my soul not Doc's as I see it. But a lady like Miss Lorrimor might not see the difference... and I don't want her thinkin' any less of her Da' for associatin' with the likes of me."

He turns to regard the house once more. "Sometimes bad things gotta be done for good causes."

Break-In Test:
Stealth 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Acrobatics 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Climb 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Disable Device 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

Hopefully as or before Kendra inserts or turns the key...

"Um... Miss Kendra. You mind if we do some inspection before anyone takes any actions we can't un-take?"

Would love to hit that thing with a Detect Magic, and if anyone has a Detect Poison handy?
On the chest and the key, preferably
Knowledge: Arcana 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Spellcraft 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15.

Also, throughout all of this, have we been told where and how the Professor died?

Raj, lets continue that discussion later...some interesting world-view possibilities there. :)


Karrik's warning falls within the same heartbeat as the swarthy Varisian staying Kendra, his hand grabbing her delicate wrist. "Wait... He's right. There's something here."

Raj pulls off his burnoose revealing the twin, springloaded, daggers strapped to his forearms. He spreads the garment like a net, preparing to lay it over the box. "If you folks wanna check it with magic, I'd consider it a kindness. There's a mark on this corner. I think I recognize it. Might be a message from Doc."

Raj will stand down until you guys have done your detects or whatnot.


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Again, I didn't have time to respond until the conversation had moved on a bit, so I'm posting my responses now. Cyn, if you want me to stop doing that, let me know and I will, but I just wanted to respond to what Karrik and Theron said to Lem.

Karrik wrote:
Despite the torrential dousing, Karrik finishes his (earlier) suggestions, using his Prestidigitation to not only fix the char-marks left by the embers but to dry his clothes and the surrounding area. He carefully looks over all the books, scripts, and scrolls affected by the halfling's conjured water. "Um… thank you for that. Not-so-little known fact, Master Lem… water damage can be nearly as destructive to paper and ink as fire. Though I suppose we'll know who to call if any arsonists break in."

The halfling chuckled good-naturedly: Any way I can earn my keep, I suppose. I'll stay vigilant, I assure you. You know, of all the people I serve, most wouldn't know how to read a book if they could somehow scrape together enough coin to buy one. I've been doing this a long time and, in my experience, after awhile a shepherd starts to resemble his flock, despite all his attempts to make the reverse true. Perhaps in my stay here I can find a few good books to read, though I'm not much for academic pursuits, as it were.

Theron Adrezi wrote:
Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:
She heads out of the room for a couple of minutes and returns with a mop and metal pail. [b]Here you go, she says as she hands them to the closest person--who happens to be Theron. The mop is certainly too big for a halfling to use effectively.

Spellcraft 1d20+5 Yay, I know what prestidigitation is!

Initially, Theron couldn't help but be amused by the situation, but his smile faded a bit when the mop was handed to him. Suppressing a sigh, he got to work cleaning up the mess. He gave Garrik a look, "That was prestidigitation, right? Do you think you can help speed this up before the floor is ruined?" Theron also glanced at Lem, "You don't happen to know that spell as well, do you?"

I'm afraid the knowledge of such a spell escapes me, but I can help in a more mundane fashion. It was my mess, after all.

Lem holds the bucket for Theron while he mops.


Karrik wrote:
Raj, lets continue that discussion later...some interesting world-view possibilities there. :)

Color me intrigued. :)


F Half orc Sorcerer 1

Flori will cast detect magic, and take as long as needed.


Male Human Oracle 2
Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:
And yes, I would welcome someone helping out with the tidying, she says to Walter. Why don't you come upstairs with me, and I'll show you where everything is? You can be my seneschal, if you like, she says with a smile.

Walter nodded, couldn't help but smile at the thought of him

Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:
Upstairs, after Kendra shows Walter around, she leads him to the second study. All the more...esoteric pieces of Petros' collection are in this room, she says.

Walter followed her dutifully, making a mental list in his head of things that needed to be done before anyone could really inhabit the house. His image of the rooms, coated with books on every surface, was not too far off-- some rooms had things in jars, massive masks, bones or funny colored rocks, too. One might have even been on a stand.

Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:
The small room is awash with books, trinkets and folios. Kendra heads to an armoire in the corner, opens the doors and then gets down on her hands and knees, looking for something at the bottom. That's funny, she says, her voice muffled. I could swear it was in here...

He took in the room, definitely one of the more interesting in the house. Kendra dug into the armoire and he felt kind of silly, just standing there and watching her search. He stayed quiet, unable to gauge whether or not it would be appropriate-- or boring-- to share his surprise at finding a genuine stone-shelled ammonite fossil from Lake Encarthan hanging on the Professor's wall. He stood there, fiddling, until she pointed out the chest to him.

Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:
Walter? Can you please bring this downstairs for me? I think everyone needs to be present before we try opening this chest. Something is wrong.

Walter stared at it for a moment. He looked at Kendra, and then back at the box, thought to himself that Kendra had invited him upstairs simply because she needed someone to lift a box, sighed inwardly and wrestled it into his arms. Walter wondered why she hadn't just asked Karrik up if she planned to have him lift things. At least he would be good at it. Seneschals didn't lift things-- they made the other servants do it. In the absence of other servants, that's probably what seneschal was a euphemism for-- guy who lifts things.

At least he wasn't a scullion.

He struggled for a moment, turned to Kendra and said "You lead the way," holding the box steady with a smile.

Bluff1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

It didn't seem like she was happy, anymore, though, so his false bravado was maybe lost on her. The moment Kendra turned around to head down the stairs, he resumed making a strained face and gripping the chest until they had reached the bottom. He let Kendra clear a space for it on the table before he set it down, taking a step back and letting out a breath. He sat down nearby, watching.

"Do we really think that the Professor might put a trap on-- oh. Yeah," he finished, feeling sheepish. Walter glanced at Rajuna. It looked like he was going to be the person to open the box, and Walter knew a way to help him. He pressed his hand against the side of his head. A susurrus of whispers suddenly rose up inside of Walter's ear, quiet, but distinct-- the ones who told him what to do. Walter touched his hand to Rajuna's shoulder from where he was sitting. The voices stopped, and Walter hoped that he had imparted some of their guidance on to him.

You have guidance. +1 to attack, skill or save. I'm going to assume Walter puts it on Rajuna when it's going to be applicable-- probably after detect is done.


F Half orc Sorcerer 1

Flori gives it plenty of time, trying to suss out any auras.

arcana: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

arcana: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Nope, no schools.


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

Lem emerged from changing out of his ceremonial garb into something less encumbering to see Walter casting a spell that appeared to be Divine in nature (assuming I can determine that even if I have no ranks in Spellcraft yet) , yet he didn't seem to have a holy symbol to channel his faith.

He harnesses the power of the gods directly, using himself as a focus for the divine energy. Extraordinary! he thought to himself.

The priest approached Walter and Raj and whispered to the newly appointed "seneschal":

You are truly blessed to possess such raw divine power. We must speak on this matter another time.

He nodded, then turned, clasping his butterfly symbol. He stood on his tip-toes to reach toward Raj's shoulder, instead settling for touching his upper-arm.

It appears as though the task of opening this chest falls on you, friend. Skill is good, but luck can sometimes be better. Desna's blessings be upon you!

Lem casts Virtue on Raj. You now have 1 temporary HP. Don't say I never did anything for you, hehe. ;-)


Not to sound ungrateful Lem for all that you've done there... :D BUT Raj is really wishing you had the Luck Domain with the 'Bit o Luck' Domain power right about now.


F Half orc Sorcerer 1

Quit your whining and open it. You're not gonna die...

51 to 100 of 2,685 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / cynarion's Carrion Crown: Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.