Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

Game Master Fanguar

Times are turning. Prophets witness omens in the starry wheels of heaven, and warn that a new age is nigh. But what they cannot foresee, hidden beyond the steam and soot of the night sky, is the face of this coming era, the spirit of the next age. The zeitgeist.

Current Combat Map


1 to 50 of 601 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Island at the Center of the World:
              Act 1: The R.N.S. Coaltongue

Risur and Danor have been at war on-and-off for two centuries for control of the lush Yerasol Archipelago that lies between them. The current ruler of Risur, King Aodhan, was just a common soldier during in the Third Yerasol War, which ended forty years ago. He captured territory for Risur, earned the respect of the military and the adulation of the common people, and even seized control of Danor’s first steam-powered warship. People of Flint still talk about the day when he single-handedly steered the ship into Flint’s harbor as a spoil of war.

The king of the time chose Aodhan as his successor, and in the four decades since Risur has gone from owning a single captured steam engine to having an industrial revolution of its own. Today it prepares to launch its first armored warship to solely use steam propulsion: the R.N.S. Coaltongue, named after a mythic warlord said to breathe smoke and fire.

King Aodhan has come to Flint from Risur’s capitol to witness the ship’s launch.

Feel free to just dot the thread, so it shows up in your campaign tab.


Male Gnome Investigator (Empiricist) 1 | HP: 10/10 | AC: 15 T 13 FF 13 |Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2| CMD: 11, CMB: +0 |Take 10s: Perception 16, Sense Motive 14, Diplomacy 11, Intimidate 11

.


10/10 HP, Temp HP 7, 14 AC, Fort +5, Dex +1, Wis +2, Perception 10, Sense Motive 10, Diplomacy 10, Intimidate 19 (21 in mask) Scarshield 1/1, CURRENT EFFECTS: Mage Armor, Aid

Dawt


12th of Spring, 500 A.O.V, Royal Square

   It is spring of the year 500 A.O.V. (After Our Victory). Seven years after the end of the Fourth Yerasol War, the shipyards in Flint have completed the first Risuri warship powered solely by steam engine, not sail. Your monarch, King Aodhan, has come to Flint to witness the official launch of this mighty vessel. Wooden- hulled but with a heart and skin of iron, the Royal Naval Ship Coaltongue will act as a deterrent against future aggression from Risur’s enemy across the sea, the nation of Danor.

   The Royal Homeland Constabulary has been called upon to provide security, and you have spent the past several weeks working to make sure this event goes off without a hitch—canvassing the docks, performing background checks on the guest list, coordinating with the local police to set up a perimeter around the royal docks, and following various directives of your superiors.

   Now, as a warm breeze off the sea mingles the scents of elaborate floral decorations with the pervasive coal soot that always hovers over Flint, you’re at the first of two checkpoints, working with Flint police to let in a crowd of local citizens who just want to line the streets and cheer their king.

Working the checkpoint, you must ensure that none in the crowd are there to further their own agenda. Many citizens of Flint would be interested in disrupting the fetivities for political gains. Any such disruption would be a great embarrassment to the King and reflect poorly on the competency of the RHC.

In preparation for today’s event, the Royal Homeland Constabulary has determined that four groups in particular are likely to cause trouble. The fastest way for you to search for threats is to figure out who in this crowd of seven hundred people fit any of these profiles:

 • Dockers, angry because of how the city treats them.
 • Primalists—i.e., believers in the old druidic faith—angry at all the new industry.
 • Agents of the fey terrorist known as “Gale,” who might try to sabotage the ship.
 • War veterans, who might target the ship’s tiefling designer.

Someone make a DC13 Knowledge History or Local check. If you succeed you may share the following information with your colleagues and the local police on duty.

Threat Profile:

Dockers are usually burly working men with eclectic fashion, preferring bright, flashy clothing and gaudy costume jewelry. Primalists have particularly elaborate braided hairstyles, wear sandals, and adorn themselves with druidic religious icons. Fey saboteurs are typically elves or half-elves with impeccable grooming from their rituals, though they often try to hide this by dressing in soot-stained workman's clothes. War veterans will usually be either in the mid- to late-twenties, or late-fifties/early-sixties, usually in better fighting shape than common citizens. Many wear regimental signet rings on their right hands.


10/10 HP, Temp HP 7, 14 AC, Fort +5, Dex +1, Wis +2, Perception 10, Sense Motive 10, Diplomacy 10, Intimidate 19 (21 in mask) Scarshield 1/1, CURRENT EFFECTS: Mage Armor, Aid

Saturday was in over his head and he knew it. He hadn't been in Risur long enough to have a grasp of the local customs. He barely understood what politics was. He knew guerrilla warfare though, and that is what this seemed like to him. Insurgents, hiding themselves amongst the locals. He'd done it himself a few times. He knew how hard it could be for enemy scouts to spot the subtle differences between unfamiliar locals.

Only this time he was in the role of the scout.

The feelings of apprehension only deepened as he scanned the crowd and saw nothing but a sea of strange, unfamiliar people.

He was taller than nearly all of them, and far darker skinned. He stuck out like a rhino amid a herd of gazelle. He liked the Risur fashions, but the top hat he wore didn't do anything to reduce his stature. He wore white, a stark contrast to his charcoal-toned skin. The only Risurian fashion he did not like was the neck tie. He did not like things around his neck. Instead he wore his shirt unbuttoned about half way down like an after-hours dock worker.

He stood behind his new partners and hoped one of them would take initiative.

"'Ow do we know who to look for?" he rumbled.


Combat:
Insp. 2/3 | Sword Cane +4 (1d6+1); Dagger +4 (1d4+1) | TWF +2 (1d6+1), +2 (1d4)
Stats:
HP 9/10, NL 0 | AC 15, T 13, F 12 | CMB +3, CMD 14 | F +1, R +5, W +2 | Init +3, Dex 16 | Perc +4, SM +4
Male Human Investigator 1 | Per. +4, SM +4, Dip. (-2), Int. (-2) | Effects: None

K. Local DC 13: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Davin was dressed in his usual, impeccable gentlemanly attire, which included his top hat and cane. However to reflect his on-duty status he also wore his leather armor vest over it.

"You should pay more attention in our meetings, Mr. Saturday. Dockers tend to be burly stevedore types with eclectic tastes in fashion. Primalists often display druidic iconography and wear elaborate braided hair styles. While fey saboteurs, to be blunt, are traditionally elves or half-elves. Their practices require them to be immaculately groomed, but they could be dressing down if they were trying to blend in. And any disgruntled veterans will likely be in their late-twenties or early fifties. And they will likely be in better than average physical condition."

Davin carefully wound his pocket watch and observed it ticking for a moment, noting any irregularities that could point to a powerful fey presence.


Female Human(ish) HP (11)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat 18/14/14 | CMB/CMD +3/18 | Fort/Ref/Will +3/+4/+1 | Init +2
Skills:
Climb 1, Intimidate 3, Perception 1, Ride 6, Survival 9, Swim 6, Prof(Sailor) 2
Gunslinger (Musket Master) 1

"In other words, look for burly guys dressed in loud colors, anyone with braided hair, especially under a hood, anyone with points on their ears, and anyone that looks like they could punch out Davin without breaking a sweat."

Narissa chuckled, then looked around. "You think it's worth getting a high vantage point? In case something does go down? From down here, I won't be able to get a good line on anyone." She looks around for any sniper positions. The 'musket' on her back is actually a field armament that someone put a stock on. She's been working to upscale an actual Musket, but R&D is being too cautious on the design.


10/10 HP, Temp HP 7, 14 AC, Fort +5, Dex +1, Wis +2, Perception 10, Sense Motive 10, Diplomacy 10, Intimidate 19 (21 in mask) Scarshield 1/1, CURRENT EFFECTS: Mage Armor, Aid

"Doctor if you please, Inspector Greyhill." Saturday corrected gently. "I defer to your expertise in dis arena, but in mine, I 'ave a title I earned."

The sniper next to him was one of the few people he had met in Risur who was taller than he was, and she was a woman no less. What land do such giantesses hail from? he wondered idly. Could be a fun place to visit.


Combat:
Insp. 2/3 | Sword Cane +4 (1d6+1); Dagger +4 (1d4+1) | TWF +2 (1d6+1), +2 (1d4)
Stats:
HP 9/10, NL 0 | AC 15, T 13, F 12 | CMB +3, CMD 14 | F +1, R +5, W +2 | Init +3, Dex 16 | Perc +4, SM +4
Male Human Investigator 1 | Per. +4, SM +4, Dip. (-2), Int. (-2) | Effects: None

I love this party already. :-)

"One should never apologize. It is a sign of weakness. However, I will endeavor to remember your earned designation -- Doctor."

"And, I will defer to your expertise on sniping, Constable Sandstone, but a higher vantage point could be useful."


Female Human(ish) HP (11)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat 18/14/14 | CMB/CMD +3/18 | Fort/Ref/Will +3/+4/+1 | Init +2
Skills:
Climb 1, Intimidate 3, Perception 1, Ride 6, Survival 9, Swim 6, Prof(Sailor) 2
Gunslinger (Musket Master) 1

Narissa nods. "I'll leave the ground work to you folks then. Doctor" She says with a tone that could be taken as humoring a child, or pained annoyance, or simply put upon impatience, depending on who is listening. Looking around, she finds a building that looks to have a good overview of the situation, and then enters it, going up the stairs to the roof. If anyone tries to stop her, she'll flash her badge and give them a stare from on high.


Male Gnome Investigator (Empiricist) 1 | HP: 10/10 | AC: 15 T 13 FF 13 |Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2| CMD: 11, CMB: +0 |Take 10s: Perception 16, Sense Motive 14, Diplomacy 11, Intimidate 11

Fulcrum listened to the interplay of his fellow officers with his usual inscrutable expression when on duty.

The diminutive inventor only ever seemed to get animated when tinkering on some gadget or explaining the complex inner workings of a steam mechanism.

"Yes-yes. Quite. Good pun. Sound stratagem. Perhaps though, less conversation and more observation would also be prudent?"

The always candid gnome adjusted his ever-present first pair of goggles, with the second reserve pair ("For one can never be too prepared") framing his striking blue shock of hair.


The crowd of close to seven hundred citizens buzzes with excitement in anticipation of seeing the arriving nobility and dignitaries. Off to one side, you see a group of event organizers going over some last minute preparations. A quick look at the time, shows that you have about a half hour before you have to open the checkpoint, so that the crowd can get into place to welcome the King and his guests.

Profile descriptions in hand, you need to start working through the crowd to identify any potential suspects. You can roughly separate the crowd into four quadrants (north, south, east and west). Together or alone, you need survey the whole crowd. The clock is ticking.

Skill challenge: Canvass the Crowd
Recommended actions:
 1. Mingle with the Crowd. (Sense Motive)
    - You could go into the crowd and look for people who match the profiles
 2. Recruit the Cops. (Diplomacy or Profession (Soldier))
    - You can coordinate a small group of cops to also scan the crowd.
 3. Recruit Some Rascals. (Diplomacy or Knowledge (local))
    - You could try to convince a few kids to be your eyes and ears.
 4. Scan the Crowd. (Perception)
    - You can watch from afar to spot people who look like they match the profile.
 5. Creative idea of your own. (Various)

Each of the four quadrants needs to be checked for suspicious people. Each player should RP their actions and make 1 appropriate skill check. This fist pass takes 10 minutes of game time. I'll RP the results of your rolls. (I don't think we have any Dockers, war veterans, or mystics in the party, but let me know if I am wrong.)


Female Human(ish) HP (11)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat 18/14/14 | CMB/CMD +3/18 | Fort/Ref/Will +3/+4/+1 | Init +2
Skills:
Climb 1, Intimidate 3, Perception 1, Ride 6, Survival 9, Swim 6, Prof(Sailor) 2
Gunslinger (Musket Master) 1

I forgot to buy a scope for the rifle, any objection to adding it?

Narissa has none of those skills, so she will do the following:

From her sniper's perch, Narissa takes advantage of her height to watch the crowd for anything unusual, sudden knots of people, groups of people that seem to be avoiding the other RNC agents or soldiers, which should be easier to spot from above, and will radio the results to her fellows. Assuming they have radios of some sort, if not, she'll try to recruit a couple of kids to be runners for her, using copper pieces

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


Male Gnome Investigator (Empiricist) 1 | HP: 10/10 | AC: 15 T 13 FF 13 |Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2| CMD: 11, CMB: +0 |Take 10s: Perception 16, Sense Motive 14, Diplomacy 11, Intimidate 11

@Narissa - Don't think we have radios or such - Message spell is a great alternative tho. I presume we'd have eyes on Narissa's position and an agreed signal (hand or otherwise) to attract attention? Signal whistles perhaps??

Fulcrum looks to the others, impassive behind his googles.

"Standing at torso height has its advantages. I may well be of better use mingling with the hoy-palloi... May spot something untoward. Although even a sharp knife can have a keener edge...

The diminutive empiricist retrieves some reagents from his belt and bandolier, then actives the chemicals with a satisfied smile;

"Meribund's Mnemonic Maximiser. Just the ticket for operations such as these!"

Fulcrum down's the tincture and moves off into the crowd;

+2 on Perception checks and trained Knowledge checks for 10 minutes. Can dismiss to gain +4 initiative bonus if required

The gnome shifts into the crowd and immediately attempts to discern anything untoward;

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14


10/10 HP, Temp HP 7, 14 AC, Fort +5, Dex +1, Wis +2, Perception 10, Sense Motive 10, Diplomacy 10, Intimidate 19 (21 in mask) Scarshield 1/1, CURRENT EFFECTS: Mage Armor, Aid

Being a head and a half taller than most people had it's advantages when it came to scanning crowds. It wasn't the main part of the crowd Saturday was concerned with though.

No mater where you went, there were going to be kids who'd fallen through the cracks of life. Fringers. Urchins. Orphans. Youths forced to be wiser and more capable than their years. They had their own society and their own laws. In some cases they even had their own special language.

Saturday had been one. Sure, he'd been a jungle runner, but these cobbled streets and brick buildings weren't so different. It was just a jungle of a different sort. He knew the children were out there, he just had to find them.

They would be wanting to watch, but wanting to stay safe from older gangs, constables, and anyone from the Clergy. If they were in the crowd, they'd be practically invisible and filling their pockets with other people's things. No, he didn't want to catch theme there. They'd be too flighty. He wanted to find them where they had numbers and comfort.

He looked around for any buildings with flat roofs, spying for little heads looking out over the edge to watch the launching of the new ship. He listened to the Loa and let them pull him along, guiding his steps to the place where they thought he should be.

Once he had pushed though the crowd to an alleyway below a flat-topped roof he tossed a coin up and over so it would bounce behind them and get their attention. They would do the rest. He stood and waited for them to elect their representative to come talk to him.

Take 10 on Knowledge Local with Guidance for 15.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Combat:
Insp. 2/3 | Sword Cane +4 (1d6+1); Dagger +4 (1d4+1) | TWF +2 (1d6+1), +2 (1d4)
Stats:
HP 9/10, NL 0 | AC 15, T 13, F 12 | CMB +3, CMD 14 | F +1, R +5, W +2 | Init +3, Dex 16 | Perc +4, SM +4
Male Human Investigator 1 | Per. +4, SM +4, Dip. (-2), Int. (-2) | Effects: None

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 4 + (2) = 9

Ugh. Even spending an inspiration point.

Davin attempts to mingle with the crowd to get a sense of its mood. His hope was to blend it. But he absent-mindedly forgot that he was wearing his top hat and conspicous armor.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 10/10 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +2 | Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception 18 - Sense Motive 19 - Diplomacy 18 (20 to Gather Information) - Intimidate 17

Sorry, I completely missed that this thread had started!

The human eyes his fellows cautiously, not really knowing what to expect from his first real assignment. It seemed simple enough, be on the lookout for trouble and prevent it if at all possible. But so many people...it was a lot to take in. As the large man in the hat and the smaller man traded jibes, he kept his eye on the sea of bodies before them, wondering who in this morass of people might be up to no good. His relatively normal size and stature did not warrant the immediate attention garnered by that of the giant woman or man with the hat, but his attire set him apart from the throng of people passing by, all utilitarian in nature and compiled to serve a singular purpose, threat elimination. His hand drifted down to the steel rapier at his hip, fingers crossing the familiar hilt with an almost comforting gesture.

He watched the impossibly tall woman head off to a nearby building as the gnome and Inspector vanished into the tangle of onlookers. He considered the scene for a moment, determined to put his best foot forward and do the RNC proud. Closing his eyes and drawing inward on his training from the church, he mutters a quick syllable before releasing the energy of his spell as his senses penetrate the crowd around him, sensing...probing for an answer.

Casting Ears of the City

Ears of the City:

The target of this spell sees and hears a stream of past scenes and pieces of conversations related to local people and events. The flashes are so brief that it is impossible to identify individual people or places, but when the target concentrates on a particular topic or individual, she can piece together a coherent narrative told in a multitude of changing voices in her mind.

Each round for the duration of the spell, the target can attempt a Diplomacy check to gather information as though she had spent 1d4 hours talking to local people. Since the information gathering doesn't involve actual interaction with people, only observation, the target can use her Perception skill instead of her Diplomacy skill. While thus concentrating, the target is effectively blind and deaf.

Gather Information: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

Creative Solution - Attempting to determine if any in the crowd share a desire to harm or embarass the King as part of a larger group.


10/10 HP, Temp HP 7, 14 AC, Fort +5, Dex +1, Wis +2, Perception 10, Sense Motive 10, Diplomacy 10, Intimidate 19 (21 in mask) Scarshield 1/1, CURRENT EFFECTS: Mage Armor, Aid

That as an awesome spell.


@Narissa: No radios. Runners are fine.
@Victor: Fantastic spell and great usage of it. I'm counting that as a double success.

Splitting up, you work to identify potential threats. In the crowd, it is hard to distinguish Dockers from those with poor fashion sense or potential fey terrorists from commoners with good hygiene, but you methodically work you way through. Several candidates present themselves and through the waves of giddy excitement, Victor catches flashes of nervousness and malicious intent, but no inkling that anyone has murder on their minds. There are definitely individuals in the crowd looking to use this event for their own gain.

You’ve picked out about twenty people of interest, but you need to separate the innocent parade-goers from actual threats. You see that some of the organizers are moving through the crowd handing out lyric sheets of the royal anthem, to make sure people get the later verses correct.(Risur's royal anthem is more narrative poem than song). The excitement is building and time is of the essence.

Skill challenge (last one like this): Screen the Suspects
Suggested actions:
1. Confrontation: (Sense Motive)
  - You could go to people of interest and question them directly
2. Deception. (Bluff)
  - You might feign camaraderie with the different people of interest in an effort to draw out an admission.
3. Observation. (Perception)
  - You could watch the various people of interest to see how they react to all the law enforcement activity. Only works if another approach has been taken first.
4. Yank Them All. (Stealth)
  - You can just grab as many people of interest as you can, but this has to be done discreetly so that no actual threats get tipped off and try to hide in the crowd.
5. Creative idea of your own. (Various)


Female Human(ish) HP (11)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat 18/14/14 | CMB/CMD +3/18 | Fort/Ref/Will +3/+4/+1 | Init +2
Skills:
Climb 1, Intimidate 3, Perception 1, Ride 6, Survival 9, Swim 6, Prof(Sailor) 2
Gunslinger (Musket Master) 1

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Narissa, using her superior positioning, begins sending down runners with information.


Combat:
Insp. 2/3 | Sword Cane +4 (1d6+1); Dagger +4 (1d4+1) | TWF +2 (1d6+1), +2 (1d4)
Stats:
HP 9/10, NL 0 | AC 15, T 13, F 12 | CMB +3, CMD 14 | F +1, R +5, W +2 | Init +3, Dex 16 | Perc +4, SM +4
Male Human Investigator 1 | Per. +4, SM +4, Dip. (-2), Int. (-2) | Effects: None

Davin plays up the use of his cane and "accidentally" bumping into a few of the targets that raised his suspicions.

"Excuse me. Terribly sorry."

And as he did so, he made a point to check each one for possible weapons.

Like that thing pickpockets in movies do, only I'm checking for weapons.

Sleight of hand: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Sweet baby, dice hate me today.


10/10 HP, Temp HP 7, 14 AC, Fort +5, Dex +1, Wis +2, Perception 10, Sense Motive 10, Diplomacy 10, Intimidate 19 (21 in mask) Scarshield 1/1, CURRENT EFFECTS: Mage Armor, Aid

Slumber hex is great for non-confrontational takedowns. I just have to know who to target.

All street kids speak the language of coin. Once Saturday had made it clear that he wasn't a threat to them, the offer of money for simple jobs was pretty alluring. All they needed to do was keep their eyes open for anything suspicious and be willing to run messages for the Constables.

His part of the preliminaries done, Saturday joined up with the others.

"I am afraid I do not know the local color well enough to discern the bad elements. However, if one of you can point out appropriate targets for me, I can apprehend them for questioning with little fuss."


Male Gnome Investigator (Empiricist) 1 | HP: 10/10 | AC: 15 T 13 FF 13 |Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2| CMD: 11, CMB: +0 |Take 10s: Perception 16, Sense Motive 14, Diplomacy 11, Intimidate 11

Fulcrum wanders over to one of the lyric sheet distributors. With a short (well he is a gnome) bow;

"Greetings this grand day. As time for song and celebration draws near, may I assist? Get those precious words out to more of our crowd here eh?"

If provided with a handful he will attempt to offer them to anyone fitting a description of a potential suspect - hopefully granting him a closer look.


HP 10/10 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +2 | Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception 18 - Sense Motive 19 - Diplomacy 18 (20 to Gather Information) - Intimidate 17

Ears of the City seemed like a really good choice for this campaign, based on the background information and the fact that we are all investigators in a way. Gather Information is usually such a long process. I'm just happy it was actually useful this early.

Pulling together the jumble of thoughts and stimuli from the spell, the leather clad man looks up and begins sorting out the crowd visually, looking for anyone who represented a person of note from his gathered information. Nodding to the large dark skinned man in the top hat he says quietly, "I've a few in mind, if you don't mind following my lead. Your skills will likely prove useful."

Working his way through the crowd, Victor begins tracking down targets from his visions in an attempt to get to the truth of the matter. His demeanor is brusque and to the point, not wasting time with pleasantries when it comes to questioning potential suspects.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26


10/10 HP, Temp HP 7, 14 AC, Fort +5, Dex +1, Wis +2, Perception 10, Sense Motive 10, Diplomacy 10, Intimidate 19 (21 in mask) Scarshield 1/1, CURRENT EFFECTS: Mage Armor, Aid

The tall man nodded and followed silently.


The organizer gives Fulcrum and odd looks and then hands him a stack with a shrug, "Sure knock yourself out."

What Victor's approach lacks in subtlety, it makes up for in effectiveness and he quickly works through some of the suspects. A pair of brightly clad Dockers are sweating profusely before Victor even opens his mouth. A few brusk questions later, and they might as well have guilty written across their foreheads.

From her vantage point, Narissa sees Saturday and De'Mortis questioning a pair of Dockers. She notices another Docker suspect suddenly start pushing his way towards the back of the crowd and sends a couple of her minions to Fulcrum and Davin to get them to head off the Docker.

You've identified some legitimate suspects. You're in the midst of the crowd. What do you do next?


10/10 HP, Temp HP 7, 14 AC, Fort +5, Dex +1, Wis +2, Perception 10, Sense Motive 10, Diplomacy 10, Intimidate 19 (21 in mask) Scarshield 1/1, CURRENT EFFECTS: Mage Armor, Aid

"We are going to ask you to come with us now. You are being detained for suspicion of conspiracy to incite unrest." Saturday said to the two Dockers in front of him and De'Mortis. "My partner is going to place you in restraints until we reach a better place to talk. If you choose to attempt to run, I will subdue you. I would not recommend that course of action."

I'll let my passive 19 Intimidate do the work here. I'll use slumber hex if one of them decides to run.


HP 10/10 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +2 | Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception 18 - Sense Motive 19 - Diplomacy 18 (20 to Gather Information) - Intimidate 17

Quite comfortable with letting the larger man do the talking, Victor gives the suspects a stare that seems to emphasize the point, his hand drifting down once more to the hilt of the blade at his waist. His eyes study them carefully, noting every detail of their appearance and watching for any movements that might indicate an intention to flee rather than submit.

Aiding Saturday's check to Intimidate. Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


Female Human(ish) HP (11)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat 18/14/14 | CMB/CMD +3/18 | Fort/Ref/Will +3/+4/+1 | Init +2
Skills:
Climb 1, Intimidate 3, Perception 1, Ride 6, Survival 9, Swim 6, Prof(Sailor) 2
Gunslinger (Musket Master) 1

The sniper keeps an eye on the escaping suspect, in case she needs to fire, but hopes not to, as that might cause a stampede. She will send another runner if it looks like Victor and Saturday are not going to intercept him in time.


Male Gnome Investigator (Empiricist) 1 | HP: 10/10 | AC: 15 T 13 FF 13 |Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2| CMD: 11, CMB: +0 |Take 10s: Perception 16, Sense Motive 14, Diplomacy 11, Intimidate 11

At the behest of the runner Fulcrum moves into the crowd toward the designated suspect.

As he approaches the gnome attempts to discern anything he can about them;

|Rightio then...

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


@Fulcum: You don't pick up much of anything. The man is just focused on getting away.

Vic and Doc: Bad cop, bad cop

One of the pair turns grey and looks like he's about to be sick, "S!$! Mercliff, they got us. I told Dafton that this was a bad idea, but did he listen to me? Of course not, no one ever does."

"Shut up Coulton," says the other before he turns back you the pair of you. "We ain't done nothing. We came here as free citizens and have as much right to see our fancy king and his fancy friends as the next guy. So what if I feel like booing him instead of cheering. That's my right. The voice of the people should be heard, regardless what you government thugs might think." His voice rises as he speaks, punctuating it with grand, sweeping gestures. By the end, the surrounding crowd is watching the four of you intently.


10/10 HP, Temp HP 7, 14 AC, Fort +5, Dex +1, Wis +2, Perception 10, Sense Motive 10, Diplomacy 10, Intimidate 19 (21 in mask) Scarshield 1/1, CURRENT EFFECTS: Mage Armor, Aid

Saturday brings a finger to his lips and made a hushing sound.

Slumber Hex, DC 15. If it works I'll use a move action to catch him gently and turn his back to Vic to cuff.


HP 10/10 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +2 | Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception 18 - Sense Motive 19 - Diplomacy 18 (20 to Gather Information) - Intimidate 17

There's a good cop position available in aisle four!

@GM - I guess I have my own lack of familiarity with all of the various factions within the world, as well as the customs. How protected is something like free speech in Risur? Does the man have a valid point?


Will save: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16 The lets out a yawn, but that's it. He blinks confusedly, then looks at you with suspicion. "Nothing to say? I guess you don't have to be much of a thinker to get into law enforcement."

@Vic: Freedom of speech and freedom of assembly are not protected rights. That being said, Flint has an independant newspaper and is a fairly liberal city. You could probably get arrested for speaking against the King, but it would only get you a couple of days in jail, as long as it wasn't anything too seditious. Booing isn't illegal, but it's not like you have to let them in. Filtering the crowd is what you're supposed to do and they don't have a right to be able to attend.

The Dockers are the mouthpiece of a workers rights movement. With the industrialization of Risur, more and more people are working in factories and where working conditions are generally terrible. Dockers are more or less trying to create a union. The factory owners are super keen on that and have been using police to break of gathering. The Dockers themselves tend to lean to the anarchistic side of socialism and violence has erupted on more than one occasion. Things are definitely coming to a head. While the RNC hasn't been involved in any of this directly, Dockers would have every reason to be mistrustful of the law.


10/10 HP, Temp HP 7, 14 AC, Fort +5, Dex +1, Wis +2, Perception 10, Sense Motive 10, Diplomacy 10, Intimidate 19 (21 in mask) Scarshield 1/1, CURRENT EFFECTS: Mage Armor, Aid

Sonofa...

"You were being awfully loud." Saturday shrugged. "I am right here. No reason to shout. To answer though, no, you do not have a right to be here. Dis gathering is at the King's behest. He wants people to enjoy demselves and be nice to each other. If you are not interested in being nice or letting people enjoy da show, den you get to leave."

"If you want to stay, you can stay right here wid us and watch. Quietly."


Male Gnome Investigator (Empiricist) 1 | HP: 10/10 | AC: 15 T 13 FF 13 |Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2| CMD: 11, CMB: +0 |Take 10s: Perception 16, Sense Motive 14, Diplomacy 11, Intimidate 11

Fulcrum hails the fleeing Docker;

"In the name of the Royal Homeland Constabulary stop and surrender yourself to questioning!"

Intimidate (Coerce): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

... ahem...


Combat:
Insp. 2/3 | Sword Cane +4 (1d6+1); Dagger +4 (1d4+1) | TWF +2 (1d6+1), +2 (1d4)
Stats:
HP 9/10, NL 0 | AC 15, T 13, F 12 | CMB +3, CMD 14 | F +1, R +5, W +2 | Init +3, Dex 16 | Perc +4, SM +4
Male Human Investigator 1 | Per. +4, SM +4, Dip. (-2), Int. (-2) | Effects: None

After bumping into several suspicious people who were unarmed, Davin grew frustrated. He wasn't extensively experienced in field work, but he thought he had better instincts.

He continues walking the crowd.

Any chance I can get in on Fulcrum's chase?


HP 10/10 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +2 | Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception 18 - Sense Motive 19 - Diplomacy 18 (20 to Gather Information) - Intimidate 17

Staring at the man in front of him, and backing the comments from Saturday, Victor states "Actually, you have NO right to be in the presence of his majesty, nor do you have any right to gather with your co-conspirators and attempt to ruin the event for others who have gathered with an honest desire to see him. Now, you can either depart these grounds or you will be arrested for conspiracy to defame his highness. Your call..."

Intimidate Check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24


Male Gnome Investigator (Empiricist) 1 | HP: 10/10 | AC: 15 T 13 FF 13 |Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2| CMD: 11, CMB: +0 |Take 10s: Perception 16, Sense Motive 14, Diplomacy 11, Intimidate 11

@Davin: Hope so mate - the wee gnome carries little authoritarian threat methinks! :)


Davin Greyhill wrote:


Any chance I can get in on Fulcrum's chase?
GM Fanguar wrote:
She notices another Docker suspect suddenly start pushing his way towards the back of the crowd and sends a couple of her minions to Fulcrum and Davin to get them to head off the Docker...

You were sent a runner as well, so yup.

Fulcrum and Davin:

At the gnomes challenge, the Docker stops and turns around. He looks as guilty as sin. "H-h-hey, what seems to be the problem Constable?"

Victor and Saturday

Mercliff rolls his eyes. "Well, I'm not going to go in there and cheer for the man. So if you aren't going to let the voice of the people be heard, there doesn't seem like much of a point of staying here. Come on Coulton, let's go get an honest drink with some honest men." They turn to walk away.

You can escort them out, or just rely on Narissa to make sure they do leave.

The crowd's excitement builds as people press toward the barriers roping off access to event. Various unsynchronized groups start singing the anthem, each trying to drown out the others. You catch sight of the local police manning the checkpoint. One of them is talking an organizer who is gesturing to a pocket watch. The police await your order to start letting the crowd through, but they will have to start soon if you wish to prevent any delay.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Combat:
Insp. 2/3 | Sword Cane +4 (1d6+1); Dagger +4 (1d4+1) | TWF +2 (1d6+1), +2 (1d4)
Stats:
HP 9/10, NL 0 | AC 15, T 13, F 12 | CMB +3, CMD 14 | F +1, R +5, W +2 | Init +3, Dex 16 | Perc +4, SM +4
Male Human Investigator 1 | Per. +4, SM +4, Dip. (-2), Int. (-2) | Effects: None
GM Fanguar wrote:

Fulcrum and Davin:

At the gnomes challenge, the Docker stops and turns around. He looks as guilty as sin. "H-h-hey, what seems to be the problem Constable?"

Lacking a social grace, Davin decides to be his usual blunt self.

"You have been identified as a potential threat, sir. If you would be so kind as to let us search you and ask a few questions, we can simply let you go about your business afterwards."

Diplomacy?: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0

Okay, RNG, what did I ever do to you?


Male Gnome Investigator (Empiricist) 1 | HP: 10/10 | AC: 15 T 13 FF 13 |Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2| CMD: 11, CMB: +0 |Take 10s: Perception 16, Sense Motive 14, Diplomacy 11, Intimidate 11

Fulcrum moves toward the docker, one hand poised on the handle of his Pincher, the other gesturing him to halt.

"As my colleague has stated - please submit to a search and some questions sir. Nice and compliant means we'll be done nice and quick."

Diplomacy?: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20


10/10 HP, Temp HP 7, 14 AC, Fort +5, Dex +1, Wis +2, Perception 10, Sense Motive 10, Diplomacy 10, Intimidate 19 (21 in mask) Scarshield 1/1, CURRENT EFFECTS: Mage Armor, Aid

Saturday looks up at Narissa and points his fingers at his own eyes, and then to the two retreating men, old military hand sign for eyes here.

Then he moved to back up his fellow Constables.

"That one was quite stubborn." he said with a half-grin at Victor.


Female Human(ish) HP (11)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat 18/14/14 | CMB/CMD +3/18 | Fort/Ref/Will +3/+4/+1 | Init +2
Skills:
Climb 1, Intimidate 3, Perception 1, Ride 6, Survival 9, Swim 6, Prof(Sailor) 2
Gunslinger (Musket Master) 1

Narissa follows the men through her scope, making sure they leave and don't do anything foolish.


Fulcrum and Davin:

"Threat? Me? I didn't do anything. I just want to go home."

His gaze flicks between the pair of you. He licks his lips, then shrugs, resigned. "Fine, I don't have anything to hide. Do your thing."

He puts his hands behind his head and turns around. Obviously, this isn't his first interaction with police. A quick search of his person doesn't find anything unusual or confiscable. After your search, he looks a little less nervous, "See nothing to hide."


The tone of the crowd starts to shift, as impatience grips them. You are out of time and must signal the local police to open the checkpoint and let the townsfolk through. If you don't, the the event will be delayed.

Fulcrum and Davin still have their suspect and he shifts his feet uncomfortably at their continued blank-eyed silence.


Male Gnome Investigator (Empiricist) 1 | HP: 10/10 | AC: 15 T 13 FF 13 |Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2| CMD: 11, CMB: +0 |Take 10s: Perception 16, Sense Motive 14, Diplomacy 11, Intimidate 11

Apologies GM-Fang - thought I'd posted!

Fulcrum nods at the man;

"Appreciate your compliance sir. Hope you appreciate we're just doing our jobs... However before you get along to that home of yours can I see your hands?"

Unless resisted, the diminutive engineer will scrutinise the docker's hands.

Perception (Examine the man's hands for resin or signs of working with explosives or the like): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


Combat:
Insp. 2/3 | Sword Cane +4 (1d6+1); Dagger +4 (1d4+1) | TWF +2 (1d6+1), +2 (1d4)
Stats:
HP 9/10, NL 0 | AC 15, T 13, F 12 | CMB +3, CMD 14 | F +1, R +5, W +2 | Init +3, Dex 16 | Perc +4, SM +4
Male Human Investigator 1 | Per. +4, SM +4, Dip. (-2), Int. (-2) | Effects: None

Sorry for the delay. Nation-wide blackout where I live kind of messed some things up for me. Yay, Puerto Rican infrastructure.

Following Fulcrum's lead, Davin also inspects the man's heads.

For explosive device stuff.

Craft (alchemy): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


HP 10/10 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +2 | Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception 18 - Sense Motive 19 - Diplomacy 18 (20 to Gather Information) - Intimidate 17

Satisfied the worst of the rabble-rousers had been sorted out, Victor waves towards the checkpoint, giving the signal to open the gates to allow the townsfolk onto the grounds. After doing so we motions for Saturday to follow as the two attempt to find a good place to station themselves and keep an eye out for any possible trouble yet overlooked.


No worries.

F&D
The man looks confused, but holds out his hands. "Ah, sure. Knock yourselves out."

The hands are thick-fingered and roughly calloused. They are clean and show no sign or smell of having handled any explosive or incendiary compounds you are familiar with. Anything else?

Meanwhile...

At the signal from Victor, the barricade is opened and people start to filter through it. Event organizers direct the crowd along the long bridge that stretches from the mainland to the island that holds the royal shipyards. Across it lies Fleet Square, where they will be positioned to welcome the arriving dignitaries.

1 to 50 of 601 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Fang's Gears of Revolution All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.