Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Yaarrr Pirates! (Ryuko's S&S) (Inactive)

Game Master Ryuko

Five Swabs are faced with a life of ugly servitude. Will they rise above it?


201 to 250 of 306 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Zaketta returns to work with the others, glad at least to get a little food in her stomach before taking another shift. Though she's not normally built for such taxing labor, she manages to keep up the pace well - probably thanks to the good night's sleep she managed to get the evening before.

Zaketta sucks in her breath when the wave strikes Shortstone and calls out to the crew, "Gnome overboard!". She nearly has her jacket off when she sees a green-skinned streak flash over the rail.

"Fishbait, you damned fool, you forgot the rope!" she calls out, simultaneously impressed with Ralo's courage and frustrated with his impulsiveness. Working as quickly as she can, Zaketta ties a loop in one end of a nearby rope, then tosses the line out to Ralo and Shortstone.

"Grab hold and we'll pull you in!"

Zaketta calls over her shoulder to the other crew:

"I need a hand here - Fishbait's a bit too fat for me to reel in by myself! Step lively and put your backs into it!"

(Job) Profession: Sailor 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14 (Fatigue) Con Check 1d20 ⇒ 15 Zaketta will tie a quick loop on one end of a rope and toss the line out to Ralo. Not sure what checks (if any) I should make for this


Male Half-Orc Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1

I am also unsure. I will wait for direction.


M Kobald 1 Sorcerer(gold dragon/ learned)

Zarque watches from his vantage point, ready to direct anybody that needs to know where he went.

edit; it would be normal to tie oneself off during a storm since you would be staying in the same general area. Thus we would only have to pull him aboard before he took to much NL dmg from the cold or getting pulled under the ship and taking real dmg.


Male Anataniwha Warrior 1 -- HP 14 : AC 23 CMD 20 Touch 16 Flat 17 : rapier +7; 1d6+3 : sling +7; 1d4+3 : F +6 R +6 W +3 : INIT +6 Perc +7 CMB +4

Mawj stays in the rigging and watches the action down below.


Male Halfling Sea-Singer Bard 4 (AC: 17 [T: 14 /F: 14]; HP: 26/26; F+1, R+7, W+4; Init: +3; Perc: +9)

Fatigue Check 1d20 ⇒ 17
Job 1d6 ⇒ 3, upper rigging
Climb check 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Profession (Sailor) 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 5 + 4 = 20
Day action, Working diligently

Durvin continues to stay in good spirits, even when most others would be grumbling. With the weather working itself up, he decides that it's no time to talk, and instead he focuses on what he's doing. As the gnome goes overboard he worries, but seeing Ralo jump in after him helps ease his fears. Were he not so high up in the lines he may go in just to try and help.


Male Human Super Cruel DM 10

Ralo would need to make a touch attack to grab on to Conchobar, and Zak would need a ranged touch attack to see how close she could get the rope.

Conchobar tries to grab Ralo's arm as he drops into the sea next to him, but he is unable and Ralo sees him drift further astern as his short strokes fail to keep up with the ship or Ralo.

Swim:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17 Touch Attack:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Conchobar is 1 check away, Touch AC for a willing touch is 15 in the roiling waters.


Ranged Touch Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20


Male Half-Orc Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1

Touch Attack 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Sure hands lash out and grab the halfling around the waist.


Male Human Super Cruel DM 10

Ralo grabs the Gnome who clings to him with a tight grip as Ralo catches the rope Zaketta throws. As several other sailors help to grab the rope they are able to drag the two sailors over the railing and leave them coughing back on the deck.

"Are you all right?" Samms asks, her eyes worried as she yells over the roar of the storm.

Everyone needs to make checks on the second shift of the job, some of you seem to have missed that.


Male Human Super Cruel DM 10

Guys? Anyone here? :P


Male Anataniwha Warrior 1 -- HP 14 : AC 23 CMD 20 Touch 16 Flat 17 : rapier +7; 1d6+3 : sling +7; 1d4+3 : F +6 R +6 W +3 : INIT +6 Perc +7 CMB +4

All of my checks for the day are done.


Male Half-Orc Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1

Work Diligently - Pr: Sailor 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Fort Save 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Night Action: Sleep


I believe Zaketta made both of her required checks.


Male Human Super Cruel DM 10

As morning dawns the rains and winds slow. Several of the less experienced sailors begin to head below decks, but Plugg puts an end to that thought quickly. "Now fer yer daily tasks. And any man caught sleeping on the job gets six lashes." He barks quickly, making you realize the day was beginning again.

One more shift, everyone on their usual duties and a DC 18 Con check or become fatigued. Those already fatigued who fail the check fall unconscious and will be flogged.


Male Anataniwha Warrior 1 -- HP 14 : AC 23 CMD 20 Touch 16 Flat 17 : rapier +7; 1d6+3 : sling +7; 1d4+3 : F +6 R +6 W +3 : INIT +6 Perc +7 CMB +4

Constitution 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15 Mawj is fatigued.

1d6 ⇒ 4 Rope Work
Daytime Action: Work Diligently
Dexterity 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Despite his fatigue from battling the storm, Mawj successfully completes his assigned tasks, hopping about the lines and rigging like a monkey to work the ropes.

Nighttime Action: Sleep

Exhausted and weary, Mawj retires for the evening to rest.


Male Half-Orc Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1

"You're an evil bastard, Plugg." Ralo's tone is even and cool as he simple states his mind as he heads back to the lines.

Work Diligently - Pr: Sailor 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Fort Save 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Night Action: Sleep

Ralo is fatigued after his work and stumbles back to his hammock.


Despite the long night, Zaketta remains as fresh as ever. She can't help but silently nod at Ralo's curse, though, when they walk past Plugg.

Their time will come soon enough, she thought to herself as she headed below to man the bilges.

After a long night in the bracing sea air, Zaketta found the stench and thickness of the air below stifling. Though she was no slouch, keeping up the pace left her more than a little tired by the end of the day. After mess, Zaketta happily collapses into her hammock for a good night's sleep.

Job 1d6 ⇒ 1 Daily Action: Work Diligently Str Check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 Fatigue 1d20 ⇒ 13 Drink Moderately of Rum Night Action: Sleep


M Kobald 1 Sorcerer(gold dragon/ learned)

job: 1d6 ⇒ 4
STR: 1d20 ⇒ 15
Fatigue: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
CON: 1d20 ⇒ 10

Zarque is very glad he drew lookout duty last night cause he is not sure he would still be standing if he had tired himself out like some of the sailors had to last night, he is getting very tired as it is.
Zarque nods in agreement with Ralo's words.

When night finally comes he is asleep almost before hitting the hammock.

edit get a plus four for work diligently (think I may have forgotten that a lot)


Male Halfling Sea-Singer Bard 4 (AC: 17 [T: 14 /F: 14]; HP: 26/26; F+1, R+7, W+4; Init: +3; Perc: +9)

Fatigue Check 1d20 ⇒ 6
State of Fishguts 1d4 ⇒ 2, not soused, yay
Day's Job 1d6 ⇒ 6, special occasion
Work Diligently
Survival Check 1d20 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 1 + 4 = 15

Durvin wanders around, a weary smile and half-lidded eyes dominate his features. He perks up when he hears that the Captain has something he wants to celebrate. He works cheerfully at slaughtering the animal needed for the occasion, despite his not liking the grisliness of the task. He easily avoids the drink, and makes his way to bed for the night.

Night action, avoid rum 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 7 - 1 = 23, and Sleep.


Male Human Super Cruel DM 10

Day 10

After a restful night, the new crewmembers are made to arise with the sun once again. When getting ready for the day's work the new crewmembers, including our heroes, Conchobar, Rosie, Sandara and Crimson Cogward, are pulled aside by Riaris Krine, the master gunner on the ship. "Now it's my job to make sure you sacks of reefclaw s@~& are up to code when we get us a big haul of loot and plunder. The next time we get up to a big ass merchanter I need to make sure you ugly pukes don't get your stupid asses killed before you can kill at least one of those worthless merchant a&$++#!s. So..." Riaris spits a hearty helping of redweed over the rail of the ship. "Today, you pukes get to get trained in boarding under the rip-roarinest b&++~ on the open seas." Riaris gets all of you over to the lifeboats. "So who's climbing and who's repelling boarders?" She asks with an ugly gleam in her eyes. "Boat only holds 6, so choose carefully."


M Kobald 1 Sorcerer(gold dragon/ learned)

I am thinking we should be on the attacking team so we can "gather" useful things for ourselves, unnoticed.

Zarque gives a glance at Zaketta, Ralo, and Mawj,
"I will climb."


Male Anataniwha Warrior 1 -- HP 14 : AC 23 CMD 20 Touch 16 Flat 17 : rapier +7; 1d6+3 : sling +7; 1d4+3 : F +6 R +6 W +3 : INIT +6 Perc +7 CMB +4

"Mawj will repel boarders. He is tired of climbing."


Male Half-Orc Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1

"I will guard the ship."


Male Halfling Sea-Singer Bard 4 (AC: 17 [T: 14 /F: 14]; HP: 26/26; F+1, R+7, W+4; Init: +3; Perc: +9)

Durvin seems amused by the master gunner's manner of speech, like he's experiencing just another part of getting to be a pirate. "Oooh, I would like a chance to do some more climbing. The rigging work I did during the storm was a thrill."

REMINDER: To all players, Durvin has mentioned (and I have reminded) previously that you can get all your gear (except weapons) from Grok just by asking her yourself. Wasn't sure if it was missed, or just didn't matter if it wasn't weapons.


Male Half-Orc Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1

I DID miss that! Rolg would have done so immediately.


Male Human Super Cruel DM 10

"All right then, let's put the little'uns vs. the big'uns." Riaris says, motioning the halflings, gnome and kobold into the ship and leaving the other five on the main deck. "The rest of you, go gather some ammo. Nails, junk rope, old buckets, bilgewater. Whatever you think'll make this lot fall off their ropes." As Zaketta and Crimson get a grinning look the gunner snaps at them. "Don't be too excited. You get to climb next while being pelted by the tinys you just threw crap at." The gunner releases the small jolly boat and rows it about 30 feet out from the side of the boat. "Now then, this here..." She hefts an ugly spike turned into a hook. "Is what we call a boarding hook. Ye'll be throwin' it at the Wormwood and trying to hook the side, then you try to climb up while they knock you off." She hands one to each of you with a laugh. "Got a prize for whoever reaches the top quickest. GO!"

The boarding hooks are improvised ranged weapons with a range increment of 20 feet. To hook the rails of the ship you have to beat its AC of 7. After that you have to climb for 40 feet up the side of the ship, making DC 15 climb checks. If hit by a piece of garbage, you have to make a DC 15 Reflex save or be forced to make a DC 10 climb check to avoid falling. Those who fall have to swim out to the jolly and try again.

Those repelling boarders treat various pieces of garbage as improvised ranged touch attacks and may attack one target a round once the target is at least beginning to climb.


Male Halfling Sea-Singer Bard 4 (AC: 17 [T: 14 /F: 14]; HP: 26/26; F+1, R+7, W+4; Init: +3; Perc: +9)

Just to make sure I got all my mods right:
-4 for improvised
-2 for range increment
Climbing is 1/4 speed, so it would be 8 climb checks, or 4 if accelerated climbing.

Durvin takes the rope and hook, giving it a twirl before he launches it at the side of the ship. He manages to get it over the side, and hooked in decent enough. He tries to hurry his way up the rope, always loving a bit of sport. He grabs the rope and starts hauling himself up it, scurrying up it like he was born to it.

Standard, Attacking Ship 1d20 + 4 - 4 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 4 - 4 - 2 = 12
Move, Accelerated climbing 1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (20) + 8 - 5 = 23, climb 10'


Male Halfling Sea-Singer Bard 4 (AC: 17 [T: 14 /F: 14]; HP: 26/26; F+1, R+7, W+4; Init: +3; Perc: +9)

As an afterthought, please don't all rush to knock me off for being the first target, there will be four of us climbing. ;)


Male Anataniwha Warrior 1 -- HP 14 : AC 23 CMD 20 Touch 16 Flat 17 : rapier +7; 1d6+3 : sling +7; 1d4+3 : F +6 R +6 W +3 : INIT +6 Perc +7 CMB +4

This feels like middle school dodgeball for some reason...


M Kobald 1 Sorcerer(gold dragon/ learned)

I am with Ralo, I missed it but would have been right next to Ralo gathering my things.

Zarque will make a slip knot belt to make it easier to stay on the rope and easier catch himself if needed, yet would be a quick release at the top.

"Rawr! I shall not be stopped! Good thing I have practice with grappling hooks. Ha ha." He throws the hook for the rigging rather then the rail.

The hook: 1d20 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 3 - 4 = 14
Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 9


Male Human Super Cruel DM 10

Rosie:1d20 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Conch:1d20 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0

Both Conchobar and Rosie happen to miss their own throws, and annoyedly begin winding in to try again, Zarque makes no progress up, but Durvin makes significant progress. Crimson Cogward and Sandara decide to focus on the nail that sticks up and try to throw small chunks of scrap wood over the edge to try and hit the little halfling, though they seem to be in good cheer.

Crimson:1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14
Sandara:1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9


M Kobald 1 Sorcerer(gold dragon/ learned)

I am curious what is making the DC so high, normally it should be DC5 unless I am missing something.


Male Half-Orc Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1

I am unsure on some ship rules. If I drew my dagger and cut the grapples, would that get me into trouble?


Male Halfling Sea-Singer Bard 4 (AC: 17 [T: 14 /F: 14]; HP: 26/26; F+1, R+7, W+4; Init: +3; Perc: +9)

Zarque, it depends. A rope with a brace wall is 5. An unknotted rope is 15. We are climbing not from beside the ship, but from a lifeboat 30' away from the side of a ship, both of which I doubt are sitting perfectly still. The rocking may make it harder, and the angle easier, to balance out at a decent 15 (or the base for an unknotted rope without a wall to brace against).

Durvin makes his way up, but is unable to avoid the shot by Crimson due to his limited ability to move away. It takes him a little by surprise, but he's able to maintain his grip. In typical fashion, he also maintains his good spirits, and encourages his shipmate. "Good shot, Crimson, that was a close one. I'm sure you will become a natural at repelling boarders in no time with that level of enthusiasm."

Reflex 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

Just realized, ranged touch attacks while climbing, that's a no dex no, armor situation. I'm glad they all rolled so low.


Unable to resist the chance to torment Durvin just a little, Zaketta takes careful aim with an old, moldy biscuit.

"Here it comes, Short Stuff!" she yells as she lets fly, her biscuit catching Durvin square in the temple.

"Ha! That's a point for me, you swabs! Who taught you how to throw, a flock of seagulls?"

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12


M Kobald 1 Sorcerer(gold dragon/ learned)

Zarque continues trying to climb up.
1d20 ⇒ 13


Male Halfling Sea-Singer Bard 4 (AC: 17 [T: 14 /F: 14]; HP: 26/26; F+1, R+7, W+4; Init: +3; Perc: +9)

Reflex 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16, still waiting for the throws from Ralo and Mawj before I do my 2nd round of climbing.

The hit is good, and Durvin almost loses his grip, but continues to be a tenacious little scamp. "Don't knock the ferocity of seagulls. I was attacked by a flock once, and believe me I ran. I ran so far away, I almost couldn't get away."


Male Half-Orc Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1

1d20 ⇒ 10

Any news about the knife?


Male Halfling Sea-Singer Bard 4 (AC: 17 [T: 14 /F: 14]; HP: 26/26; F+1, R+7, W+4; Init: +3; Perc: +9)

Yay, saved by being small. I would assume that the rope cutting would be discouraged. The class is to practice boarding, those repelling are just to make it harder on the boarders. Not to mention probably not wanting their ropes cut.


Male Half-Orc Fighter (Two-Weapon Warrior) 1

I figured that, but Ralo would take the easiest and most obvious choice. Especially considering the fact that he has had to repel boarders for real in the past.


M Kobald 1 Sorcerer(gold dragon/ learned)

I am just gonna roll a few instead of one, as this is one thing that will be horrible performance.

1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 17
1d20 ⇒ 6
Zarque tries to clamber up the rope, taking his time and using his tail to swing away from any incoming debris.

edit, wow actually made some progress.


Male Human Super Cruel DM 10

It would be bad sport to cut the ropes, but no one told Ralo that so I could see him making the attempt. It's up to you. Also, in regards to Durvin's thought, I don't mind allowing Dex to armor while climbing on a rope, there are situations where I'll deny it (clinging to a cliff face, on a rope with nothing to move against) but it's fairly easy to move on a rope to avoid things.

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11
1d20 - 2 ⇒ (6) - 2 = 4
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Rosie's throw catches the side of the ship, though she makes little progress. Conchobar finds himself still unable to grapple on and begins to reel in the hook again, his frustration evident. "Damnit I wasn't made for this."

The two sailors at the deck take aim, Crimson with a bucket of bilgewater and Sandara with a broken bucket, then let fly at Rosie and Zarque.

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11
1d20 - 2 ⇒ (19) - 2 = 17

Crimson misses Rosie, who sends a stream of obscenities up at him.


M Kobald 1 Sorcerer(gold dragon/ learned)

Zarque taking his time can easily see Sandara trying to throw a bucket his way so he swings his tail hard to the left trying to swing away,
Reflex save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20


Male Halfling Sea-Singer Bard 4 (AC: 17 [T: 14 /F: 14]; HP: 26/26; F+1, R+7, W+4; Init: +3; Perc: +9)

Durvin, excited to see Zarque make some headway, continues climbing further.

Accelerated Climb 1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (20) + 8 - 5 = 23, he's now 20' up.


Male Halfling Sea-Singer Bard 4 (AC: 17 [T: 14 /F: 14]; HP: 26/26; F+1, R+7, W+4; Init: +3; Perc: +9)

Forgot it's one check/move action. Here is my second move action this round.

Accelerated Climb 1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (7) + 8 - 5 = 10. Okay, no progress. Still at 20' after second round's actions.


Male Anataniwha Warrior 1 -- HP 14 : AC 23 CMD 20 Touch 16 Flat 17 : rapier +7; 1d6+3 : sling +7; 1d4+3 : F +6 R +6 W +3 : INIT +6 Perc +7 CMB +4

Mawj waits until the climbers get closer, then hurls an old boot at Zarque.

No offense. I just picked you at random. ;)

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17


M Kobald 1 Sorcerer(gold dragon/ learned)

Zarque swings wildly to right, almost hitting Durvin with his rope.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16


Zaketta grabs an old, moldy fish head and tosses it playfully back and forth between her two hands. She winds up and hurls the refuse at Rosie, connecting solidly on her shoulder.

"Heads up, Rosie, gal! It's not gonna be that easy!"

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13

I'm assuming I hit, given that we're attacking touch ac


Male Human Super Cruel DM 10

Reflex:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Climb:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

"Zaketta when I make it up there I'm gonna make you regret you were ever born." Rosie claims, trying to continue upward after the squishy fish head knocked her for a loop.

Accelerated Climb:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Rope Throw:1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14
Climb:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

"Much as I enjoy the view from down here I'm gonna catch you singer-man." Rosie claims as she closes the gap between herself and Durvin. conchobar manages to catch the edge of the ship and whoops with cheer as he swings over, though his climbing is obviously a little less daredevil than Rosie's. Seeing that Durvin is up there and may get the prize, Sandara tries to thorw down another small bit of wood at him, while Crimson seems to take out his frustrations on Conchobar far below.

Attacks:1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9///1d20 - 2 ⇒ (3) - 2 = 1


Male Halfling Sea-Singer Bard 4 (AC: 17 [T: 14 /F: 14]; HP: 26/26; F+1, R+7, W+4; Init: +3; Perc: +9)

"Why thank you Rosie, that is kind of you to say. I do try to stay in good shape for the demanding rigors of sailing." He blushes slightly at the compliment. Seeing the others finally making progress, he decides to press on. He hit a snag at the halfway point, and ended losing his grip without even being hit by anything. He drops with a splash, and instantly begins swimming for the boat.

Accelerated climb, 1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (3) + 8 - 5 = 6
Swim to boat 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18,
Swimming sucks, as a move action, I can go quarter speed 5', or as a full-round action, 10'

201 to 250 of 306 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Yaaarrr Pirates!! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.