Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

WotW: A Knot of Thorns The Second Parchment

Game Master Xzaral

Way of the Wicked by Fire Mountain Games

Roll20

Battlemat


951 to 1,000 of 2,573 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>

King of Talingarde

About to head to work and won't be able to post while there today, just a heads up.

The southern door leads to a passage, at the end of which is a doorway with the inscription...

Inscription wrote:


“Following the herd is for fools. Fear not their icy derision. Instead, fear only thy Infernal Lord.”

Four doorways exist in this room, clear tracks marking the passage of dozens of individuals to the south and east. The doorway to the west is covered in a pulsating violet mold.

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) DC 15:
This creature absorbs heat. Any living creature nearing it will have the heat sucked out of their body and take damage. Any fire will cause it to grow and expand quickly. A single point of frost damage will kill it outright.

No magical auras can be seen in this room.

Cain:
You detect no traps on the south and east doorway. I assume you didn't go near the violet mold. And yea, give me another Fort Save for the potion.

Map


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

If something looks suspicious, Price will cast Sift and take a closer look before entering the room.

Perception #1 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27
Perception #2 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25
Perception #3 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32
Perception #4 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21
Perception #5 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17


I'm assuming Xzaral used my perception checks before the last post, and if Cain were able to see any traps in this room, he'd see them by now. If that's incorrect, please let me know.

Knowledge: Dungeoneering 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16.

Cain takes one step in, surveys the room, then pulls up short. He scratches his ear, reading the inscription as he looks at the three doors.

"I think we're supposed to go through the door with the mold. Don't touch it by the way." He considers for a second before continuing."'Followign the herd is for fools' The tracks go to the two other doors. No tracks to the mold door. 'Fear not their icy derision.' The mold sucks body heat away, but will die if we hit it with cold. Anyone have any cold spells? Ice cubes?"

DM:
Fort save 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24.
Is there any kind of check Cain can make to realize something may or may not be happening to him?


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Price chuckles. "Is the door trapped otherwise? I can probably open the door with little fear of harm. Cold bothers me only a bit. Of course, that advice could be placed to mislead us."

Resist Cold: 5

She considers for a moment before saying the rest of the team, "Someone, please search that corridor - perhaps we're missing another secret door."


"Um... it actually sucks heat from a body. Cold is actually how we kill it."


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

"To suck heat - it must attack with cold, yes?"


Cain shrugs, "Don't really know. You wanna test it out, you're welcome to it. I'd love to avoid it myself.


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

I think Xanos has Ray of Frost in his book, but he'd have to memorize it. We could hit this room the following day... or go risky.

Price shrugs, "I'm not keen to test the theory. It just might work if we want to assume this is the best path. Shall we check the North doorway from the previous room first? See if there is a way to flank that mold?"


HP 49/37, AC 18, CMD 15, Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +5 Per +4 Channel 9/9, Grave Touch 8/8, Shirt 1/1, Vestments 1/1, Slippers 10/10 Current effects: Detect Magic, False Life, Mage Armor, Message, Spider Climb, Shield

Xanos' brows narrow for a moment, then he points and whispers. A crackling ray of energy that hisses and leaves a trail of condensation through the air leaps from his finger to the mold.

Shame to use my Bonded Item spell right off the bat, but it's got to be done.


If the spell destroys the mold,

"Nice," Cain says as he steps past the dead mold, making quick work of checking the door for traps, then presses his ear against it. Once again he leaves a spot for Price to listen.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15.


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Price brushes the mold remains from the door before pressing an ear against the wood, "I hope they haven't impregnated the door with Ear Seekers."

Perception 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19


Cain grunts, "I though Ear Seekers were an urban legend. Like bugaboos, wallygumps, or clean politicians."


Outsider (AC: 22|12|20- For:+5| Rex:+6| Wil:+7- Per:+2Init:+3)

What is a rear speaker


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Price chuckles, "A politician - you know, someone who talks out his ass-uming you find no traps on the door, Cain, let's pop it open."


Percep +4. Init +8 -- Hp 50/50. AC 18, t12, ff16. Fort+4, Ref+4, Will+6

Shulme tilts his head at Xanos as the mage resorts to a cantrip.

"I had suspected it before, during the meeting with Thorn. You are... diminished."


King of Talingarde

Xano's spell quickly destroys the violet mold, causing to fall to lifelessness.

Aside from an unfortunate spider dropping past Price's neck at an inopportune moment following her Ear Seeker comment, nothign can be heard beyond the portal.

Map

A note, when I place the map Backgrounds, I always center horizontally and vertically so that if it ever gets moved, just right click and center on each axis. That will put it back where it should be. Also Maptools is giving me heck now on exporting the full map, so I'll be figuring that out next.


Again Cain repeats his routine at this door... giving Price and the team an opportunity to get into position before he opens it.

5 Perception checks
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20


HP 49/37, AC 18, CMD 15, Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +5 Per +4 Channel 9/9, Grave Touch 8/8, Shirt 1/1, Vestments 1/1, Slippers 10/10 Current effects: Detect Magic, False Life, Mage Armor, Message, Spider Climb, Shield
Shulme-Silule wrote:


"I had suspected it before, during the meeting with Thorn. You are... diminished."

"Yes." Xanos said simply.

Looking down at the wide silver bracer-shackles sealed onto his arms he continued a moment later. "These bracers seem to be the cause. I have found the experience... refreshing."


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Perception #1 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
Perception #2 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26
Perception #3 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16
Perception #4 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20
Perception #5 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18


King of Talingarde

The path beyond the door winds around to another room. The inscription upon this one is...

Inscription wrote:
“Know your enemy. Shatter all that blinds you and then burn thy adversary to ashes.”

Beyond the doorway lies a room that is dark beyond reason, no light entering or exiting the room.

Darkvision:
The room beyond is 30' x 30', in the center of which stands a podium. Placed upon the podium is a globe of pure obsidium. Also the floor has numerous small holes spaced about it. Two doors exit this room, one north and one east.

Knowledge (Arcana) DC 22:
There is a Darkness spell effect in place.

The Map


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Mark - I'm not seeing a 30' x 30' room on the map. Am I missing something?


HP 49/37, AC 18, CMD 15, Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +5 Per +4 Channel 9/9, Grave Touch 8/8, Shirt 1/1, Vestments 1/1, Slippers 10/10 Current effects: Detect Magic, False Life, Mage Armor, Message, Spider Climb, Shield

Know: Arcana: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

Xanos is not paying much attention to the cause of the shadows in the room.


King of Talingarde

I hadn't initially because it could only be seen by character's with darkvision, but I fixed that. It's up now.


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Sorry. I didn't realise we had walked around the corner to the next door.

Price stares into the persistent darkness. "We have a podium with a globe upon it, two doors - one north and the other straight across from here, and a lot of small holes in the floor. Looking at the inscription, I'm thinking we need to smash the globe and burn a swarm of something that will probably come out of the floor."

She pulls the torch from the wall-sconce by the door and looks to the team. "I may be able to fend off the darkness which will make it easier for us to destroy the globe. I have one flask of alchemist's fire. Do we have any other ways to destroy a swarm?"

Knowledge: Arcana 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

So I'm thinking Price uses her Daylight ability to beat the darkness. If that doesn't light up the area, it should at least nullify the darkness which will let her light the area with the torch. That should let us all target the sphere as needed.


HP 49/37, AC 18, CMD 15, Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +5 Per +4 Channel 9/9, Grave Touch 8/8, Shirt 1/1, Vestments 1/1, Slippers 10/10 Current effects: Detect Magic, False Life, Mage Armor, Message, Spider Climb, Shield

Crossing my fingers for some kind of undead...


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Yeah, this is a thin plan based on some dangerous assumptions. :) I definitely should have bought more alchemist's fire.


Percep +4. Init +8 -- Hp 50/50. AC 18, t12, ff16. Fort+4, Ref+4, Will+6

Knowledge Arcana 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24

"You will need more powerful magic than a cantrip to defeat this darkness." Shulme remarks, "a spell of daylight should be sufficient. Destroying, or perhaps covering the source should be effective as well, though... which is likely the globe itself."

The sorcerer narrows his eyes, glancing around the room.

Can I tell if the source of the darkness is the globe, or another object? Also, Detect Magic for any other magical auras


RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP!

 "Dammit! I hate swarms!" Cain grunts as finishes wrapping his now-torn-off left sleeve around the head of a morningstar... creating an improvised metal, spiked torch. He inspects it for a second and gives it a few swings, making sure the cloth is securely on before offering the cloth-wrapped end towards Price's torch. "Mind lighting this? Hopefully'll help deal with whatever's in the room."

Im hoping to cover as many bases with one weapon as possible.
Cold Iron Morningstar deals bludgeoning and piercing. Light it as a torch to hopefully deal a little fire damage as well as shed some light (in the case of Price dealing with the Darkness).

And dang... I always forget to prepare for swarms!


Outsider (AC: 22|12|20- For:+5| Rex:+6| Wil:+7- Per:+2Init:+3)

Teon goes back down the hallway and retrieves a torch before rejoining the party. Unfortunately, I have nothing specially designed to combat a swarm.


King of Talingarde

The Darkness is indeed the globe, which does radiate magic.


King of Talingarde

Oh, and no other unexpected auras.


Does Price's information that she relayed back to us account for a trap-search?


King of Talingarde

No, at this point I assume no one has entered the room.


Cool.

Seeing everyone prepare, Cain steps up to the doorway, peering into the darkness. "How 'bout this? Price, you see what you can do about the light. If that gives me enough light to do a trap-check, I'll do so. Then, me and Teon will move in to bust the globe. We'll both have torches, which should help if the room's still dark after Price does her thing. At that point, I'm guessing we'll just have to play it by ear." He looks around to see if the plan has general agreement.

If so, then Price would be up. :)

Some Perception checks - for if/when the room is light enough to see:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

"I'd prefer to keep you gentlemen out of the target area... particularly if I have to throw alchemist's fire. But we have few choices, I suppose. Shulme may be right - covering the orb may be enough to stifle its effects... and that would be quicker than breaking it in all likelihood. It might also trigger the swarm, so if we can do it from a distance - all the better. We just need enough weighty fabric."

Price reaches to her back and starts deftly untying her dress. "Cain, a little help here if you please. I'm trussed like a turkey in this damn thing." After a moment, her ball gown drops to the floor leaving Price decked in a body hugging bodice of leaf armor with a matching set of leggings. She quickly strings her belt pouch and weapons on her hips. She gathers up the dress and offers it to whoever is willing to cast it onto the orb.

With a touch to the iron circlet, her illusory Tiadora dress reappears.

When everyone is ready, Price touches the celestial spark within her and sets the iron circlet glowing like Daylight. She quickly picks up the torch with one hand and readies the alchemist's flask in the other.

Perception #1 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16
Perception #2 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32
Perception #3 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18
Perception #4 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20
Perception #5 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22

Status:
HP: 18 / 18
1st Spells (4): xxxx
Daylight (1): -
Judgment (1): x
Effects: None


Just seeing if the darkness fades any with Price's Light ability.


King of Talingarde

The light from Price's spell counters the Darkness, though it sheds no light itself only allowing the torchlight to fill the area. Where the Daylight spell hits counters Darkness, but doesn't actually provide light so you will still need a torch.


Cain nods, then holds out his empty left hand for the dress. "I'll cover the globe. Get ready... cause i'm guessing i'll be haulin' ass back here in a sec."

~~~~~~

Re-posting previously rolled perception checks for this room (for traps and whatnot):
(These were rolled 4 posts up)
23
23
20
18
14

He'll do exactly as Price suggested, moving through the room (hoping to spot/avoid any traps), and toss the dress over the globe. If that doesn't seem to work, then Cain will probably start making attacks on it. If at any point, anything attacks, Cain will get the hell outta the room!

Status:
HP 21/21
AC 18 T 14 FF 14
CMD 20 FF 16
F/R/W +3/+7/+3
Effects/Conditions Wolf Potion (24 hours)


Outsider (AC: 22|12|20- For:+5| Rex:+6| Wil:+7- Per:+2Init:+3)

Teon moves with Cain, staying just behind him, with his torch ready.


King of Talingarde

Cain and Teon begin to enter the room, searching for signs of danger. As they enter, they realize that the doors have been shut with complicated bars that would have been impossible to open without sight. Searching a room, and keeping an alertful eye out for danger, they still do not manage to avoid quick enough a sudden red mist that shoots up from the ground and envelops Cain.

The red mist surrounds Cain, draining off abit of his blood with wounds still pouring through. Cain takes 1 bleed damage, and 2 constitution damage.

As quick as it came, the creature immediately retreats back down the hole it came from, moving faster than one would believe possible after draining some essence from Cain.

From the posts, it would seem at least Price had a ready action to throw an Alchy fire. The spot the mist is on the map is where it went back into the ground.

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) DC13:
This creature is a Vampiric Mist. The creature is vulnerable to Fire Damage.

Inish
Shulme
Red Mist
Xanos
Teon
Price
Cain
Grumblejack

The Map

Dice:

VM S 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
VMvC 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
VM B 1d6 ⇒ 1
VM CD 1d3 ⇒ 2
Price 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Xanos 1d20 ⇒ 18
Cain 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Shulme 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Teon 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Grumblejack 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6
VC 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

As soon as the misty creature appears, Price hurls the vial at its core.

READY: Throw - Alchemical Fire
HIT v AC:5 + range: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13 Should be a HIT
If Miss - Location: 1d8 ⇒ 7
DAM: 1d6 ⇒ 4 Fire

2nd RND DAM: 1d6 ⇒ 6 Fire


Knowledge: Dungeoneering 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20.

With a shout of pain, Cain -- who seems to be bleeding from his now-raw skin -- has time to do nothing but shout out. "VAMPIRIC MIST! HIT IT WITH FIRE!"

Looks like the mist gets to go again before Cain, so ill wait to take action.


King of Talingarde

Throwing an alch fire at a creature is a ranged touch attack. Targeting the AC5 square only deals 1 point of splash fire damage. Either case it'll hit Cain from there. Did you want to try targeting it or the square?

Cain:
With your check you also no it has DR 5/magic, but it's not incorporeal so weapons hit normally.


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Oh. I just skimmed the splash weapons rules and it defaulted to aiming at a square. No, she was throwing at the creature itself.


King of Talingarde

Okay, now for you to hate me. That's a miss :(

Price throws an alchemist fire at the creature but misses a direct hit, splashing the creature with abit of flames, the fire to burn for a moment. It's not a fire creature, but it was too cute not to use it to represent the fire.

Shulme's action, then the mist, then everyone else. It has total cover at present against most attacks, so if you want to ready for it's appearence, let me know.


Percep +4. Init +8 -- Hp 50/50. AC 18, t12, ff16. Fort+4, Ref+4, Will+6

"Fire is not my strength, Cain. Perhaps steel will do. If that fails..."

The sorcerer sighs.

"It pains me to destroy something that could be so useful, but it may be necessary to break the orb after all."

Shulme slides into the room, testing with a wide sweep of his spear whether the creature has any substantiality to it.

Charge + attack. -2 AC for the turn. Attack, damage:

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 101d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Guessing that misses!


King of Talingarde

It does. Remember when it's underneath the grates, it has total cover, which is +10 AC.

The mist once again comes out of it's holes, this time goring itself upon the new spear wielding threat. Shulme takes 6 bleed damage and 3 con damage.

Gorged, it retreats back down the holes (provoking from Shulme). And everyone is up.

Dice:

VMvS 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
VM B 1d6 ⇒ 6
VM C 1d3 ⇒ 3


Round 1

Bleeding and weakened, Cain makes a snap decision. The dress drops to the floor as he steps towards the globe, switching to a two-handed grip on the morningstar-torch before swinging it in a mighty downward smash.

"Steel should work on the mist... though it'll be resistant to all but magical steel." (it has DR 5/magic)

~~~~~~~~~

Free: 5' step to P16.
Free: Drop dress
Standard: Attack globe

rolls:
Cold Iron Morningstar w/ fire on the tip
Two-handed attack 1d20 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (20) + 6 - 1 = 25. <--- CRIT?
---> Damage 1d8 + 6 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 3 + 1 = 12
---> CRIT CONFIRM 1d20 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 6 - 1 = 17.
---> Total Crit Damage 12 + 1d8 + 6 + 3 + 1 ⇒ 12 + (8) + 6 + 3 + 1 = 30

Status:
HP 19/21 w/ con damage 17/19
AC 18 T 14 FF 14
CMD 20 FF 16
F/R/W +3/+7/+3
Effects/Conditions Wolf Potion (24 hours); 2 con damage; 1 bleed dmg/round

DM Mark, can CAin speak when in wolf form? Seems implausible... lacking a human tongue. But I wanted to get an official answer before I decided making decisions around it.


Percep +4. Init +8 -- Hp 50/50. AC 18, t12, ff16. Fort+4, Ref+4, Will+6

Shulme nods, swiping at the mist as it appears and retreats.

"Your ogre friend might be useful here, then."

Attack of opportunity:

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 181d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


King of Talingarde

Wolf, no. Hybrid, yes.

951 to 1,000 of 2,573 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / WotW: A Knot of Thorns The Second Parchment All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.