Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

WotW: A Knot of Thorns The Second Parchment

Game Master Xzaral

Way of the Wicked by Fire Mountain Games

Roll20

Battlemat


451 to 500 of 2,573 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

It being obviously of better make, Cain helps himself to Blackerly's longsword, enjoying the balance of the blade before he slips it into his hip sheathe. As he reaches the locked door in the north side of the office, he idly muses, "Guess it shouldn't surprise me that there's a ton of booze in this place... I'd drink myself silly if this was my job."

Cain tests the door once as he continues speaking, "So how many guards you think this place has left alive?" Finding it locked, he kneels down to check the quality of the lock as he continues, "Ya know... those that we ain't killed yet."

Disable Device (to check the quality or try to open it tool-less) 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 6 - 2 = 12.

If there's a better use for Blackerly's longswrod, please feel free to volunteer it. It just seemed like (with Kalina out), Cain was the best person to hold onto it until we can sell it for upgrades all around.


HP: 25/25 AC 19/15/14: F+3, R +9, W+5, Per:+12, Init: +4

Gwyn, finally realizing that Blackerly is naked from the waist down, is rather flushed. She sees Cain struggling with the lock and moves to help the rather vicious fighter.

"Let me get that."

Disable Device: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

"Any other locks that need pickin'?" she says with an impish grin while the picks dance around her fingers.


King of Talingarde

door to the north opens. Inside appears to be a storeroom. Supplies for the prison are stored here.

•200 torches
•ten lanterns (5 hooded, 5 bullseye)
•two 10 gallon kegs of lantern oil
•six spare guard uniforms
•a dozen signal horns
•twenty 50’ lengths of rope
•two barrels labeled ‘emergency rations’
•A special rack holds 9 brands with the runic F you all now bear

Heal DC 10:
The 'emergency rations' have become quite rotten. They could still be eaten, but there may be consequences.

Intelligence DC 10:

This room is sparsely filled for a complex this size.


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Once the sarge is secured, Price slides past Xanos and heads back through the office. She punches Grumblejack in the arm, looking pleased. "We've got that bastard sergeant! Stay on guard in case someone comes through the front door. You've done well - we'll see about getting you a hot meal."

She peeks into the hall and gives Kalina the thumbs-up and a stay there sign before returning to the office and rifling through the desk.
Using previous rolls: here.

Price casts a smile on the sheet of paper detailing the guard contingent and disposition (DC12 spoiler). She tsks over the evidence of Blackerly's perfidy. (DC15 spoiler) Feeling much better about the odds of their escape working, Price practically strolls back into the bedroom, holding up the sheaf of papers.

"We have the guard's locations and assignments. We've also got evidence that our good Sergeant here was skimming an impressive amount of coin off the payroll - such a paragon of virtue." She starts marking off the guards they've already disposed of...

I think everyone can now read the spoilers attached to the link above.


Heal DC 10 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
INT DC 10 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18.

Dang! Hot Dice!

Gwyndolin Maulsen wrote:

"Let me get that."

Disable Device: 1d20+9

"Any other locks that need pickin'?" she says with an impish grin while the picks dance around her fingers.

Cain nods as the door opens, chuckling out a 'thanks' at her skills and playful, dark nature. He points back towards the large trunk under Blackerly's ridiculously-large bed. "I think I saw a trunk under there. Probably worth lookin' into and probably locked. Were you born with a lock-pick in-hand?"

Cain's eyes immediately land on the row of brands, and he can't help but smile, tunelessly whistling as he picks one up and spins it in the air. Mood visibly lightened, Cain takes a circuit of the room, poking at various objects. He opens the rations, giving them a quick sniff, and his nose wrinkles, "The rations are bad. Edible, but probably with some bad side-effects."

He steps back out, listening to Price read off the information about the guards -- taking special note of their numbers. His face scrunches up in confusion, and he looks back at the small store-room. "Huh… somethin's not right, then. That's nowhere enough supplies in there for a building this size." As he gives the room a thorough search, he thinks out-loud about Price's revelation about Blackerly's 'virtue'. "So the man's crooked; so's everyone else. We lookin' to use that angle? I thought we'd just scare him real good before we kill him."

Perception (to see fi there's anything unusual about the store-room -- hidden doors, etc.) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17.


DM Mark, have we seen any backpacks or bags in this room or the bunk room across the hall? Hauling stuff is about to get problematic.


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Price shrugs, "I thought it was interesting. The best use I could see for Blackerly would be having him walk us out of here IF there was a big enough guard contingent to warrant it - but that tactic is a double-edged sword at the best of times. With the light staff here... he probably isn't worth the risk."


King of Talingarde

There's none specifically listed, but this stuff had to come in something. You'll be able to find a way to haul it (though someone might be using a pillow-case with 'LOOT' written on the side. Just use reason (no hauling out tables and whatnot).


HP: 25/25 AC 19/15/14: F+3, R +9, W+5, Per:+12, Init: +4

"Probably should have been." She practically skips to Blackerly's bed, she pulls it out and gets to work on the lock.

Disable Device: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27


Geez! Gwyn is rocking the Disable Device!


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Yeah, she pulled a 'Fonzie' on it. She banged the lid and it popped open. "Ayyyyyyyyyy...."


Cain -- true to his sometimes-slow nature -- has a thought occur to him as he continues searching for anything different about the storage room. "So wait a minute. This place only has 13 guards, the warden, Blackerly, and the help." There's a quiet moment as he does some mental math, "That's eight of the thirteen we've killed already. So there's only five of them left? Not to mention that if those three in the bunks were the off-duty folk, then the others should be at their posts, right? Might be worth it to go ahead and finish the job, then take out the Warden." He pokes his head out of the room, "At the very least it would give us some time and a spot to think about our next move."


King of Talingarde

Sadly, even with Gwyndolin's amazing skills, the chest does not pop open. The lock is a good quality lock (DC 30 Disable Device).

Intelligence DC 10:

coughblackerlyskeyringcough


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Price kicks the key-ring with a toe as she looks at the impressive lock Gwyn is trying to finagle, "Try those if you don't feel like challenging yourself."

She turns to Cain, "I make the body count nine, minus the cook and including Blackerly here. I'm encouraged to take the entire keep... but I'd like to know what the Warden is capable of before we go after him." She runs through the numbers in her head, "I think there are eight or nine left minus the Warden. Three in the Gatehouse. Three in the Bridgehouse. Two on the walls. Possibly one off-duty somewhere - unless the cook was that guy... and the Warden. So we have six guys and potentially two dogs directly between us and freedom."

INT Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


HP: 25/25 AC 19/15/14: F+3, R +9, W+5, Per:+12, Init: +4

INT: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

"Huh? Could have sworn that would have worked. Let's try this again."

Gwyn hunches over the lock, taking her time and muttering to herself the whole while.

Taking 20. 20 + 9 = 29


HP 49/37, AC 18, CMD 15, Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +5 Per +4 Channel 9/9, Grave Touch 8/8, Shirt 1/1, Vestments 1/1, Slippers 10/10 Current effects: Detect Magic, False Life, Mage Armor, Message, Spider Climb, Shield

Xanos ignored the violence when he wandered into the room. As the others talked he was looking into the storage room. A small smile played across his face.

"When are the shift changes?" he rumbled while still looking at the supplies.


King of Talingarde

Gwyn attempts to pick the lock on the box, but no amount of skill on her part seems to get past the difficult lock.

According to the schedule the guards should change at sunrise.


HP 49/37, AC 18, CMD 15, Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +5 Per +4 Channel 9/9, Grave Touch 8/8, Shirt 1/1, Vestments 1/1, Slippers 10/10 Current effects: Detect Magic, False Life, Mage Armor, Message, Spider Climb, Shield

What time is it now?


King of Talingarde

After midnight, almost 1.


HP 49/37, AC 18, CMD 15, Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +5 Per +4 Channel 9/9, Grave Touch 8/8, Shirt 1/1, Vestments 1/1, Slippers 10/10 Current effects: Detect Magic, False Life, Mage Armor, Message, Spider Climb, Shield

eeeeeexcellent...


I'll assume Cain's inspection of the little store-room didn't turn anything unusual up.

Cain heads back into the room, scratching his head. "Something strange. The supplies in that storeroom don't account for the amount for a complex of this size. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary in there, though." He sees Gwyn struggling with the lock -- the keys sitting by her feet. He picks them up, bending down next to her and muttering, "I'm a fan of showing off as much as the next guy.. .but sometimes the easier answer is the way to go." He gives her a playful smirk as he checks the trunk and lock for traps.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22.

If none are found, he opens it up with the key ring.


Dm Mark, I tossed a few questions in the discussion thread a few days that I'd love for you to look at. Also, WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE TRUNK!? I gosta know! :D


King of Talingarde

Huh, thought I did respond. Responses will be incoming in the OOC portion sometime this morning.

Inside the chest you find a small fortune for a Seargent. In total there are 1544gp and a dozen bottles of Rotgut worth 5gp each.


Excellent. Thanks!

Cain's smirk becomes a full-on smile when the lid falls open on the chest. He lets out an appreciative, long whistle as he pulls out a handful of fat gold coins.

"Blackerly. Blackerly. Blackerly…" each word is punctuated with a shake of his head, "… you're quickly becoming one of my favorite dead people." He holds up the fistful for the group to see, "There's a whole chestful of this sh!t. Easily over a thousand gold, it looks like. How's that for a silver lining?"


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Price gives a slight smile, "Too bad his taste in liquor is so pedestrian."


Cain looks genuinely confused as he picks up and swirls one of the bottles, "What's wrong with his taste in liquor?" A soft thub announces his opening the bottle, and he takes a sniff, giving Price a shrug as he sniffs it.

Can I get one of the castys to ID the potion by Blackerly? :D


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Price answers his question in a distracted fashion while she swirls the potion bottle from the nightstand.

"It more likely came out of the south end of a northbound horse than a keg. We really need to work on your palate, Cain." She teases.

The plain looking Inquisitor examines the liquid curiously while making an arcane gesture over it. She pulls the stopper and waves a hand over the top to get a hint of its smell.

Cast Detect Magic

Perception (ID Potion) 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

Hey, you want me to try to identify the Cain-specific potion from the veil? I figured it was a McGuffin so I didn't think to offer.


King of Talingarde

Price:
You examine the potion, and though not quite sure, you have a strong feeling that this is a more powerful healing potion, based on the aura's Conjuration (healing). It's not a Cure Light Wounds potion, which you would've made.


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Price frowns at the potion and seals the stopper. "Well, it's a curative of some sort but it isn't your garden-variety healing potion."

NOT a CLW


Cain drops the coins back into the trunk as he stands. He fishes a small vial -- the one that was originally on the veil and had Cain's name on it -- from one of his pockets and holds it out to Price. "While you're at it, will ya take a look at this? It smells like… my blood. I wondered if it would undo whatever these wanks did to me when we first got here, but I'm not sure I want to trust whoever it is that gave you that veil."


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Price nods as she borrows the flask. She has her own misgivings about their mysterious 'patron'. She runs a small drop of the liquid between her fingers...

Cast Detect Magic
Perception (ID Potion) 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31 BOOM!


HP: 25/25 AC 19/15/14: F+3, R +9, W+5, Per:+12, Init: +4

About the rotgut...

"Isn't that stuff brewed by orcs?"


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

"That would certainly explain some things." Price says as she continues to puzzle over Cain's potion.


"I don't know. I think orcs get a bad wrap." He finally pulls his eyes away from Price's investigation of the wolf-inscribed vial, mind coming back to the present. "So what's the plan? No tellin' if this place is like to get visitors come dawn, so I say we should make our plan to be gone by then. That's a number of hours away... which gives us time to cut our way to securing an exit, then make an assault on the Warden. Knowing there's only a handful of guards makes me want to clear this place out if possible. Sends a strong message, I think. And hopefully gives us some time to obscure our trail on the way out."


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

"Gone by dawn should be our goal. We don't know how long Balin of Karfield will be kept away and the guards have a shift change at dawn. There's no way our mischief will remain undiscovered."

"We need to scout out the positions of the wall guards as well as the overall situation... and the door guards came in here a short while ago. Maybe we should have two or three of us pick up their shields and take their places outside to forestall suspicion and get a good look around."

Discuss the plan in the OOC?


King of Talingarde

Price:

The potion has an aura of Abjuration about it, the aura similar to that of dispelling magic, though not quite the same. This is in contrast to the strong smell of blood that comes from the vial itself, which normally would indicate Necromancy (not present, btw). Based on your observations you are fairly certain it would restore the imbibers natural abilities if they are being supressed, though only temporary.


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Price gives the potion bottle a look as if it just complimented her on the shape of her ass. She hands it back to Cain. "This is an odd one. With the blood, you'd think it would be necromantic... but it isn't. It's basically abjurational. I suspect it will let your suppressed natural abilities come out for a time - but I don't think I can guess how long the effect will last."


The vial goes back into his pocket with a nod. "Good to know. May come in handy at some point. Still hate to trust something coming from some mysterious player, even if it doesn't seem necromantic."


HP 49/37, AC 18, CMD 15, Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +5 Per +4 Channel 9/9, Grave Touch 8/8, Shirt 1/1, Vestments 1/1, Slippers 10/10 Current effects: Detect Magic, False Life, Mage Armor, Message, Spider Climb, Shield

Xanos comes back into the bedroom from the supply closet and waits patiently but expectantly until he has the attention of the room.

"Some of you may not know that I was brought here as a political prisoner. They intended to execute me to send a message to other nations, and simply to prove that they could. To be fair, I am quite surprised at how close they came. A month ago I would have laughed at the prospect. I am not laughing now."

Xanos looked down at the bracers on his arms for a moment, a hint of frustration showed through his calm mask.

"I have decided to send a message of my own. I told a messenger King Markadian once sent me that any prison they thought could hold me would be a smoking ruin by the time I left. They removed my power to make good on that promise, but they have politely provided an alternative."

"We have over a thousand feet of rope, forty gallons of lamp oil, and an ogre who can easily move it all. With twenty minutes of work, I can turn this entire prison into a bomb."

He smiled gently.

"Who would like to help me?"


HP: 25/25 AC 19/15/14: F+3, R +9, W+5, Per:+12, Init: +4

"Ah, but what about your promise to the girl? Wouldn't seem right to have obey only to get turned to cinders."


HP 49/37, AC 18, CMD 15, Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +5 Per +4 Channel 9/9, Grave Touch 8/8, Shirt 1/1, Vestments 1/1, Slippers 10/10 Current effects: Detect Magic, False Life, Mage Armor, Message, Spider Climb, Shield

"I have taken her into consideration. The kitchen has a fire place. She will not run out of air. I can set the blaze in such a way that the prison will burn around her. She will be unharmed."


"I think burning this whole place to the ground was the plan anyway. If you think you can make the fire bigger, badder, or more impressive... hey, I'm game. First things first, though. I'm gonna take a look outside. Get our bearings of what's going on outside this building. Who's comin' with me?"


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

Price eyes the tall, dark man. "Take Grumblejack with you and please be as quick as you can. We've got perhaps five hours before daybreak - and roaring flames are so much cheerier in the dark, don't you think? In the meantime, we'll be scouting ahead."

She looks to Cain and the others, "Let's figure out who is going on this foray... and pack up Blackerly's money as well as a few brands. It wouldn't be 'just' to let a criminal keep his ill-gotten gains. We have to set a moral example - for the children."


HP 49/37, AC 18, CMD 15, Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +5 Per +4 Channel 9/9, Grave Touch 8/8, Shirt 1/1, Vestments 1/1, Slippers 10/10 Current effects: Detect Magic, False Life, Mage Armor, Message, Spider Climb, Shield

Xanos looks to Grumblejack and says "Take the rope and oil, and follow me."

Then he and the ogre leave.


HP 49/37, AC 18, CMD 15, Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +5 Per +4 Channel 9/9, Grave Touch 8/8, Shirt 1/1, Vestments 1/1, Slippers 10/10 Current effects: Detect Magic, False Life, Mage Armor, Message, Spider Climb, Shield

Stopping halfway out the door he says "Go to the cells. I'll meet you in a moment."

Going back to the supply closet, Xanos roots through the rotten rations, picking out a number of items and throwing them onto Blackerly's bed.

Scooping the mess into a dirty mug with a bit of oil and a few drops of rot-gut, Xanos hands the disgusting mixture to Price.

"Grind this to mulch and sandwich it between the dog biscuits."

Craft Alchemy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


King of Talingarde

Price and Cain take up position outside of the doorway, not yet seeing any sign of the guards along the walkway. Gwyndolin comes out and feeds the tainted dog biscuits to the dogs. After a few minutes, they begin to whimper and go silent.

I'm assuming Gwyn goes back inside after this.

A few moments later, the guards can be seen coming around from the west, continuing what appears to be a clockwise circuit of the walls.

@@@@@:

1d8 ⇒ 6


Class: AC: 16|12|14 - For:+4 | Rex:+3 | Wil:+9 - Per:+15 Init:+7

So the guards are walking together? What is the lighting like - totally dark? Sconces on the wall?

Price tries to look bored while she focuses on the wall guards - particularly trying to note their race. She also casts her eyes around looking for any easy way up onto the wall.

If no stairways are visible, she'll look for worn paths and traffic patterns on the ground that could lead to a stairway in one of the small watchtowers.

Bluff (looking bored) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25


HP: 25/25 AC 19/15/14: F+3, R +9, W+5, Per:+12, Init: +4

Yep. Gwyn isn't sticking around.


I"m curious about Price's questions as well. Cain is most interested in spotting all the guards that he can, as well as locating any stairwells or doors to gain access to the walls.

Bluff 1d20 ⇒ 12. Here's to hoping distance plays to our favor.
Perception (w/ low-light vision) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15.


King of Talingarde

The only lightsource outside is that of the bullseye lantern carried by the guards, the moon and stars blotted by the ominous clouds in the sky. The two walk together, chatting as they go and taking only a cursory glance to see the two of you are there. The clouds overhead tell a good story as a low rumble suddenly comes up and a few drops of rain start to fall.

Survival DC 10:
It's obvious a storm has begun to move in and may last a few hours. For concerns, starting the building ablaze from the inside could ensure quite abit of damage is dealt (knocking out support areas and whatnot). When the storm does come it will reduce visibility to 30' and help wash away tracks. Strange how it has come at this time, is it not?

451 to 500 of 2,573 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / WotW: A Knot of Thorns The Second Parchment All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.