Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

WotW: A Knot of Thorns The First Parchment (Inactive)

Game Master Xzaral

A group of villains escape Branderscar prison to take revenge upon Talingarde.

Roll20 Map Link

Google Doc Map Link (Currently not in use)


351 to 400 of 1,870 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Male Gnome Bard (Demagogue) 4

What you're attempting there is more of an Intimidate by my reckoning.


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

Same. That and, you can't really use Diplomacy in combat.


King of Talingarde

They beat me to it! Yea, it's an application of the Intimidate skill.


Male Tiefling Infneral Sorcerer(Tattoo) 1

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17 Intimidate


King of Talingarde

The guard, seeing Alazandaru having moved up beside him, heeds Haruk's words an throws his sword to the ground. "J-just don't hurt me." He starts to back away.

Alazandaru, it's up to you if you want to let him go or not, he's moving to the southern wall.


Male Gnome Bard (Demagogue) 4

Picking himself up off the ground, Bostarg brushes off his uniform before speaking curtly to the guard "Drop weapons, empty pockets and into there" pointing to the opened storeroom in the northern wall.

Assuming he complies, Bostarg turns to the others "Anything else you want from there before I lock him in?"


King of Talingarde

All right, you've dealt with the remaining guard. How do you plan to deal with Blackerly running?


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

Yes Alazandaru said simply, clearly not happy about yet another liability being left behind.

He checked the storeroom thoroughly for any hidden exits and possible means of escape before he nodded his approval for him to be locked in.

Take 20 on perception.


Mission Male Human Antipaladin (Knight of the Sepulcher)4
Stats:
AC 23; Fort: +12, Ref: +6; Will: +12; Perc: +6; Int. +0; Hp's 53/53

As Alazandaru examines the room, "We need to move quickly. That fool Blackerly is going to bring an army back with him. Did those papers we find consist of a blueprint of this building? Maybe there is another way out instead of through the front. Leaving through the front is more than likely out of the question at this point."


Male Tiefling Infneral Sorcerer(Tattoo) 1

"I for one have had enough of this prison. This may be a bit extreme for some of you with weaker stomachs, but I say we take our two guards that are still alive as hostages. Tie their hands behind their backs with some of that rope and march them out with us as we leave. If any guards get try to stop us, we can slit our captives throats. I do not think the goody goody guards here will just let us kill their friends like that."


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

Realising the need for haste, Alazandaru gave the room a once over instead.

Take 10 on Perception for a 14

Hostages? Not my style. What does everyone else think? As for Blackerly bringing an army... That is unlikely. 23 guards base. 6 off duty, leaving 17. We've reduced that to a mere handful. I'm sure he'll throw whatever is left at us, but the remainder of his forces is not much more than what we just faced with nary a scratch.

Having pointed out how few guards were actually left alive in the complex, Alazandaru contradicted Morthos.

Out of the question? It seems to be the most logical route. We've already cut through most of the prison's guards. I, personally, will have nothing to do with cowering behind hostages. I will be leaving this place with my honour intact.


Mission Male Human Antipaladin (Knight of the Sepulcher)4
Stats:
AC 23; Fort: +12, Ref: +6; Will: +12; Perc: +6; Int. +0; Hp's 53/53

Morthos raises an eyebrow to Alazandaru's numbers as he ponders his words. "I did not realize this place was so pathetically unguarded. Good. Then let us not waste another moment. Out the front door it is. Grumblejack!" He yells for the ogre. "Time to go and finish smashing 'the little un's'." Morthos cringes at the words. "I also am not for holding some pathetic guard as hostage. They would just slow us down and get in the way. Once we get him locked in," he motions the sniveling guard, "let's move."


Male Gnome Bard (Demagogue) 4

Bostarg sees the guard safely secured and locked within the storeroom. He then returns to the group, ready to follow their lead.


King of Talingarde

Before I move us along, just to make certain. Guard is left alive and locked in storeroom. No hostages. Going out front door. Does that sound correct? Also as a reminder Grumblejack is still wounded from before (not sure what you want to do about it, but just an FYI).


Male Gnome Bard (Demagogue) 4

Roger roger - Bostarg is leading from the back... as in he's following everyone else.


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

Have we passed any rooms without checking them GM?


Mission Male Human Antipaladin (Knight of the Sepulcher)4
Stats:
AC 23; Fort: +12, Ref: +6; Will: +12; Perc: +6; Int. +0; Hp's 53/53
King Markadian V wrote:
Before I move us along, just to make certain. Guard is left alive and locked in storeroom. No hostages. Going out front door. Does that sound correct? Also as a reminder Grumblejack is still wounded from before (not sure what you want to do about it, but just an FYI).

I don't believe there is anything we can do about it. At least I don't think there is. *shrugs* As far as the plan, yes that's correct.


King of Talingarde

Just went through and verified. Everything west of the hallway has been searched. To the east, Rooms 9 and 10 have not been searched, but to the best of your knowledge no one else is in there. Room 11 has not been opened yet.

The Map


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

I think seeing how useful searching the place turned out to be, lets check out room 11 and search rooms 9 and 10. If more guards come i'm pretty sure we'll hear them in their clanky chainmail.


Mission Male Human Antipaladin (Knight of the Sepulcher)4
Stats:
AC 23; Fort: +12, Ref: +6; Will: +12; Perc: +6; Int. +0; Hp's 53/53

I believe there's a guard locked in room 9, correct?


Male Gnome Bard (Demagogue) 4

Correct- the first surrendee got locked away in room 9


King of Talingarde

Doh, forgot to update that on my map. Explains the note I have written on it though.


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

Ok, well brief search of room 10 and then explore room 11.


King of Talingarde

The mess hall is given a bried search with nothing else being turned up. Turning to the door to the south, the door is opened to reveal a man, apparently a servant. He currently hides behind a table, though clearly not skilled at it. The light reflects off the large butcher knife he holds in his hand. Realizing he's been seen, he stammers "T-there's nothing of value here. P-lease spare us!" The shaking knife gives away his nervousness.

Sense Motive DC 8:
A small movement from his eyes betrays him, as there appears to be something he does not want you to find in a pile of large burlap sacks sitting off to the side. One would expect them to be filled with food for the prison.

DM Stuff:

1d20 ⇒ 8


Male Gnome Bard (Demagogue) 4

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Bostarg sees the man's furtive glance and picks up on a word unfitting the sentence 'us' and gauges what is most likely within the sack. Considering that if the servant meant them ill he likely would have already struck, Bostarg turns back to the main corridor - putting the man's fate out of his mind.


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

1d20 ⇒ 11

Whats in the sacks? Alazandaru asked the man softly.


King of Talingarde

The man comes out from behind the table and attempts to place himself between you and the sacks. "Please sir, we, I'm just a servant. She, I, by Iomedae, we haven't done anything. Just simple folk. Please let us be, we won't stop you."


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

Alazandaru nodded, seeing no purpose in tormenting the servant or antagonising him further. He followed Bostarg out of the room.


Male Tiefling Infneral Sorcerer(Tattoo) 1

In a whisper to those around, Haruk asks "Seems those sacks are at least somewhat important. Do we want to find out what they contain??"


Female Human Fighter (Two-Handed) 1

1d20 ⇒ 2 - sense motive

Bea shrugs. "We don't have time to sift through every bag in the prison for valuables. More guards could be coming, and while we've handled them without problem so far, what happens if word gets to the garrison that there's a prison break here? I don't want to have to fight through the whole army."


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

Its just someone he is protecting, let it be.


Male Gnome Bard (Demagogue) 4

Bostarg took the few moments to traverse the corridor to the doors that led to the grounds. Beckoning Grumblejack to follow, he chanced opening the portal a crack and sticking his head out to see or hear what might be occuring beyond...

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13


Mission Male Human Antipaladin (Knight of the Sepulcher)4
Stats:
AC 23; Fort: +12, Ref: +6; Will: +12; Perc: +6; Int. +0; Hp's 53/53

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

"Yes, we've no time for peasants. Have we managed each room throughout? If so, I say it's time we move. Also, our large friend is wounded quite badly. Normally, I would leave him to his fate. But seeing how he could prove quite useful in battle, do we have the means to heal him?"


Male Tiefling Infneral Sorcerer(Tattoo) 1

"Fair enough. I just wanted to make sure it was mentioned is all. I agree, if we have checked all the rooms, we should leave. Were there not uniforms of a sergeant or something? If so, let me put one on and see if I can't talk our way past any trouble."


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

Alazandaru laughed out loud at Haruk's suggestion.

No offence meant tattooed one, but the time for talking our way past trouble is long past. Blackerly escaped us and what remains of the prison force will be on alert now- and we have Grumblejack in tow. These uniforms may serve us for a time once we leave this place, however.


Male Gnome Bard (Demagogue) 4

For DM reference - I'm assuming that Bostarg's disguise spell has likely worn off by now as well - so he looks once again like a little prisoner in much too big clothes.


King of Talingarde

@ Bostarg, Correct sir.

If you wish to do anything else with the servants, lemme know, otherwise moving us forward.

As our villains make their way for the front gate, two things alert their attention. One is that of an owl flying overhead, away from the prison. The other is the sound of a series of horn blows, seemingly in some pattern, though the meaning can only be guessed at. The sound of the horn comes from behind the prison, in the direction of the warden's tower.

Knowledge (Geography) DC 10:

The direction the owl blew is that of the nearby town of Varyston, possibly bringing a message to the people there.

Remember DC 10 or less can be made untrained on Knowledge checks.


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21 Knowledge (Geog)

The owl... a warning to the closest village, Varyston.

Alazandaru reacted quickly- he drew his loaded crossbow and took careful aim at the Owl, letting a bolt fly-

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20 Attack assumes its within 80 feet, adjust as appropiate (max range 800 feet)
1d8 ⇒ 6 Damage


Male Gnome Bard (Demagogue) 4

Are the dogs still in their cage?


King of Talingarde

The dogs are not in their cages at present. Putting the owl at 200' out at present is a -4, a hit. It will gain 120' a round flying away if you wish to take more attacks, as the first did not drop it.

Alazandaru takes aim at the owl, a bolt striking the creature. Amazingly the blow was not enough to fell the creature, continuing it's flight.

Fate:

1d100 ⇒ 10


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

1d20 - 4 ⇒ (2) - 4 = -2 (misses, Owl gets to 440 feet)

1d20 - 6 ⇒ (3) - 6 = -3 (misses, Owl gets to 560 feet)

1d20 - 8 ⇒ (20) - 8 = 12 (Hit + Crit Threat!)
1d20 - 8 ⇒ (15) - 8 = 7 (Crit Unconfirmed)
1d8 ⇒ 1

Alazandaru fired off three more bolts as the animal got further and further from him, the third finally hitting the damned creature.

Regardless of the Owl outcome, Alazandaru will say this after-

Hmm... If Blackerly was skimming from the profits, it wouldn't hurt our cause to investigate the tower and take anything valuable that we can carry. This place is down to a handful of guards and we are in good shape. What say you?


Male Tiefling Infneral Sorcerer(Tattoo) 1

"Wait a sec, you want to go towards the sound of the horn blasts??" Haruk asks in a shocked voice.


Male Gnome Bard (Demagogue) 4
King Markadian V wrote:
Alazandaru goes to work on the difficult lock. After about 2 minutes of probing, the box finally comes open. Inside the lockbox you find a small fortune. 1854 gold pieces and a dozen bottles of rotgut worth 5gp a bottle.

"I'd wager we've discovered his stash already in the lockbox from beneath his bed... but I think we'd have a better chance of eluding re-capture if we did not have dogs nipping at our heels... let's find him and remove his threat?" pointing pointedly at the dearth of canines within the cage where they once stood sentinel.

Bostarg is good to whip around to the tower


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4
Haruk wrote:
"Wait a sec, you want to go towards the sound of the horn blasts??" Haruk asks in a shocked voice.

They have only a handful of men left- we already did the math. Are you scared of a few more? Alazandaru asked/mocked with a vicious grin. Don't you want some vengeance on Blackerly?


Male Tiefling Infneral Sorcerer(Tattoo) 1

"What I want is to leave. I have never heard of prisoners who are trying to escape wanting to lingering behind and waste time. We do have an appointment after all, remember? Besides, was there not some hint or rumor about the warden having some sort of mystical might or the like? I'd just rather not take the chance, especially when we're already this close."


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

Do you even listen at all? The dogs are missing. Once they have gathered more men they will use them to follow our scent. If we don't take care of the hounds, there is no guarantee our escape will hold. Bostarg made an excellent point on that front. Beatrix, Morthos, what say you?

Alazandaru shook his head incredulously.

You speak of wasting time when you call for surrenders that gain us nothing, and my suggestions of exploration have made us many gains- a small fortune, weapons and armour... I understand wanting to leave this place, but lets go about it with some intelligence.


Mission Male Human Antipaladin (Knight of the Sepulcher)4
Stats:
AC 23; Fort: +12, Ref: +6; Will: +12; Perc: +6; Int. +0; Hp's 53/53

Morthos looking toward the empty dog cage, "Well hasn't this become a great deal more interesting." He says casually as he stares into nothingness. "You can run but you cannot hide." Morthos whispers as he's lost in thought. Quickly turning his attention back to the others, "We have no choice, I'm afraid. We may evade the fool guards but the canines scent cannot so easily be outwitted. I want to leave this place as much as yourself, Haruk, but we do not dare leave these beasts that can track us across Golarion. Alright, Alazandaru, let us investigate this tower. Then we take to rid ourselves of a few dogs."


Male Tiefling Infneral Sorcerer(Tattoo) 1

"So what, you want to go find these dogs, kill them and then what? Explore the tower from top to bottom, killing and looting as we go? We're barely able to take all we found with us so far. I agree leaving the dogs alive isn't a good idea, but we don't know where to look for them. You talk of intelligence, tell me how you plan to track the dogs? And what if all the rest of the guards, Blackery and the warden are all waiting for us in ambush?" He looks skyward, to where the owl was seen. "And what if that owl is bearing a message for reinforcements? Shall we loiter here for them to arrive? The longer we take to actually leave, the more time we give any reinforcements to actually catch up with us."

He pauses for a moment thinking. "Recall that last fight, with Blackery where he ran. Twas easy, was it not? We were able to spread out and kill them more or less as they came through the door. We knew they were coming and had the advantage. The exact opposite is very possible this time. I do not fear them, Alaza, but I have no desire to walk rght in to the teeth of a potential ambush"


Mission Male Human Antipaladin (Knight of the Sepulcher)4
Stats:
AC 23; Fort: +12, Ref: +6; Will: +12; Perc: +6; Int. +0; Hp's 53/53

"I daresay, the dogs will come to us, Haruk, we will not have to look for them. And I do not think the fool Blackerly and the warden will ambush. No, they will all come to us. That is their way. Especially the fool Blackerly. He is proud, that one. And for his foolishness to be made known, due to the fact that we have escaped our wrongful imprisonment under his watch, infuriates him to the utmost. He will not rest until we are captured or dead, I assure you. An ambush is the last thing on his mind." Morthos again stares into space, thinking on many possible scenarios.


HP 45/45, AC- 18, Touch- 14, Flat- 14, CMD- 21, Fort- +6, Ref- +9, Will- +2, Percep- +7, Init- +4

Alazandaru took Haruk's points on one by one.

Their odds of ambushing us in such cumbersome armour are minimal- they are not equipped for stealth. We'll keep our eyes and ears open and i'm sure we'll get along fine; i'll scout ahead if necessary.

I believe I can follow the dog's tracks and some of our companions may also possess tracking skills. There are only a couple of places they could have gone- the warden's tower or the front gate. We either would have blundered into them while leaving or they would have chased us anyway. Better to be proactive about it.

I know I hit the Owl a second time and i'm sure once Count gets a chance to post, Beatrix might have followed suit with bow, so i'm going to ignore the owl in conversation for now as Alazandaru may well have dropped it. Easier to wait for GM on that front than retcon conversation later.

351 to 400 of 1,870 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / WotW: A Knot of Thorns The First Parchment All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.