Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

We're Gonna Take a Walk Outside Today...

Game Master Kobold Cleaver

Beyond maps, beyond horizon, beyond all but story, out into a world great and wondrous. There is no set arc; there is no overarching villain. There is only the journey. There is only west.

House Rules/Setting Info.


1 to 50 of 497 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Alhaster Map; Crypt Map

.


The Lost Tower

CHAPTER 1: It's a Year's Journey

Two days after a massive earthquake destroyed several buildings and caused Viejo Tallista's chicken coop to break away and fall into the river—luckily, no one was hurt, except thirty-four hens, one rooster, and a tomcat, who have been classified by the town sheriff as Missing In Action—it is believed that the cause of the earthquake is known.

It had been difficult, as Wizard Alma, the town's preferred sage, who made her abode a day's walk north of town, had been nowhere to be seen. Multiple theories had been raised, from warring dragons to dancing dwarves to a fringe theory about great sliding planetary plates of earth floating atop a vast ocean of molten fire, but the dominant theory pertains to a strange story shared by a pair of traveling elves who spoke only in something they called "iambic octameter" (though they had to pronounce the term weirdly to make it fit).

Above the hills and woods of yore we went to find the source of quakes
We saw a mighty walker moving west; it loomed above us all
It stepped upon a strange old house and broke the house away from ground
It made ascent above our heads, attached to foot, akin to shoe,
A mighty giant stole your mage. So...now we'd like to buy some brew.

Isamu, at the Cartographer's House:
"It's a year's journey," the mapmaker says to you. She speaks softly in her study, flinching at every sharp sound. It's as though she thinks too loud a voice will dissolve the countless rolls of parchment on her desk, or cause the inks to run, or startle the shelved maps into leaping up and making a break for the study's single window. She blinks through wide-rimmed spectacles at you. "Maps are static. You cannot erase ink, but you can erase buildings, towns, mountains, with enough shovels. Do you understand me? There is no guarantee that my maps will be fully accurate. Some of them are centuries old, and some were likely made up by those with quick hands and lazy feet. Nobody has been this far west before. You might find yourself in the Underworld, or just walk off the edge of the world entirely.

"But..." She tilts her head to either side, as if considering the taste of something strange. "If the maps are anywhere close to accurate, and the giant moves by the old scales for giant speed, it is a year's journey to catch up. Faster, on horses. Faster still on dragons." A clicking, wheezing laugh tells the customers that the cartographer is joking. She brushes tangled brown curls from her eyes as she goes on. "Some of these places you cannot bring horses to. The Bloody Meadows, two weeks west of here, for instance. Widow Tom's grandfather went there. You mustn't bring horses to the Bloody Meadows. I imagine you could bring dragons wherever you should please, though."

She reaches forward to hand the maps over, but hesitates. "Do you really think you can catch up with the giant?" she asks, one eye squinting, the other widening, as though examining a jewel through an invisible loupe. "I know you're arranged to set out soon with that funny tinker catperson and the dog-looking one. Who are you, anyways?"

The Cartographer.

Yeldrid, Behind the Cartographer's House:
Oh, what a wonderful start. You're running late to the most important journey of your life. At least, it probably will be. You don't think you'll be stopping for another break this long. If you don't find them this time...well, it's probably because something ate you.

Or maybe one of them would eat you. Can they do that? That would be a problem.

Off-topic. You're late. You never did learn where the cartographer's house was, actually—a few stabs were taken over the last few months, but it's always been too much trouble, and you've been ever-so-busy...well, you're paying for it now. And wouldn't it just figure if Isamu and Rex left without you? Actually, doesn't it kind of figure that you need a map to find the cartographer?

Oh, there it is! Who put it right behind another house like that? You've passed that house at least eight times already and never seen the old sign on the hut behind it. Wow, the cartographer's house is shabby. Hopefully this isn't going to be a repeat of that "bargain bin maps" incident.

Between the two houses is a short clothesline, bearing two sets of trousers, a faded floral dress and three chestnut lilypads that seem to have been recently harvested. You're walking quickly, and you're looking at them, so you don't hear the sounds of rushing footsteps until something thuds into your leg. Looking down, you see a petite leafy green creature rubbing its head. A vaguely familiar half-elf woman is hurrying towards you. The name springs to your mind: Baylily Kettlewhite.

Baylily, Behind the Cartographer's House:
Ever since that giant earthquake kerfuffle, things have been complicated for you and Jerm. Jerm has been strangely agitated, convinced that there's something you need to do. The trouble is, they don't seem sure what, exactly. Just that it has to do with the giant. They've been wandering around more, getting into trouble with superstitious villagers who don't like the leshy "skulking" about. Jerm's wise, but they just aren't that bright, is the problem. You had begun making plans to leave, unsure where you were heading or how long you'd be gone, but positive that Jerm wouldn't be this stressed out over nothing.

This morning, they woke you up rather early. They were too excited to explain, initially, just taking off running outside. You hurried after. They raced through Barlily, heading, you realized, towards the mapmaker's house. And then you ran into the cat person.

Or, to be precise, Jerm did. Right in the knee. Yeldrid; wasn't that their name? You feel the unpleasant pang of empathic pain as Jerm falls over, momentarily stunned.

Rex, at the Mourning Monarch:
You were on your way to the Cartographer's house to meet up with Yeldrid and Isamu when you became a little bit sidetracked. You now find yourself, strangely enough, at a pub. A place like the Mourning Monarch is not exactly the standard hangout for most paladins, you expect, though it's a lot cleaner than most pubs you've seen. The bartender is a handsome, slightly scruffy human fellow with a large flowering lilypad on his head. What attracted you was the sound of raised voices, and sure enough, he seems to be engaged in a heated argument with a woman in very fine clothes.

"...really haven't got time for this," the woman is saying, sounding rather tired. "I'm a busy woman, Wiski, and I am not a painter. I am a tailor. My hands are quite full enough with little Zyxebrax. Honestly, she takes after her father in the most difficult ways."

"I know you're not a painter," the bartender says, "but it's canvas. I don't even know what went wrong—it was fine right up until the quake. It got a bit torn, but it didn't seem like—can't you do anything, Ms. Weaver?" He holds up a large painting.

The painting is life-size, depicting a young woman with distinct dark eyebrows and large brown eyes. Her frame is thick and toned with impeccable posture. She has a very curious expression, tinged with hints of sadness. It looks like there's a golden tattoo on her wrist, standing out on her brown skin, but the full tattoo cannot be seen. It is a masterfully-painted watercolor. It is also in terrible condition. The canvas around the painting is badly frayed, as though from great age. The painting itself remains untouched, but the flax is coming undone from all corners, and it's probably only a matter of time before the painting comes apart as well.

"I suppose I can take a look," the tailor says doubtfully, leaning forward. As she speaks, her hands run over the canvas with remarkable speed, and a strange ethereal webbing begins to run over the frayed ends. "But only because I'd hate for you to have to change the name of this place to the Mourning Pile of—hey there!" As the magic starts to pull the threads together, the entire painting gives a strange jolt.

Ms. Weaver, town tailor. As the Barlily saying goes, "Either human 'nough to get by, or inhuman 'nough to fake it."
Wiski, bartender.
A segment of the life-size painting.

Lanuola, at the Mourning Monarch:
It feels like you are in a deep sleep. It has felt like that for longer than you can tell—a dull, mindless mist hangs around you like a thick curtain, smothering your thoughts and clouding your memories. You haven't been conscious of time passing, nor are you conscious of your surroundings. You are frozen in the same drowsy state of discontent. It's wrong. You can tell that. You just can't muster enough energy or awareness to understand why. It has felt worse recently. Your sleep has gotten sharper, more jagged. There's a strange pain to everything—mild, but insistent, and always getting worse. It feels like the entire world is fraying into nothing.

And now there's something else, something jarring. Without warning, awareness surges back to you in the touch of fire. Agonizing heat fills your mind—but your mind is cleared, your mind is aware, you can barely remember the last time you felt so awake. The world around you burns, and you burn with it, but somewhere in your mind you relish the flames that bring with them an escape.

The next thing you know, you feel...different. You feel, for one thing. But everything feels strange. Hollower, but not in a necessarily bad way. Your new world slowly fades into view. You are looking out at some sort of pub. There are people taking—a woman in fine clothing and a man wearing an apron. Both have large lilypads on their head. At the pub's entrance is a small rather dog-like person with a large sword strapped to its back.

What is going on?

Woman (perhaps a tailor, judging by her tools).
Man (probably the bartender).
The painting is currently being held up by the tailor, who just attempted to cast a spell of mending on it. Not that Lanuola is aware of all that.

Zyxebrax Weaver, on the Western Edge of Town:
It's a bright, early morning, and you're heading off to the Writhing Wood. You told your mother you were going to see if the apples by the edge of the forest were ripe. In truth, you know they're not, but she seemed too busy to question you further.

As you approach the edge of town, you notice a young girl standing beneath a tall sunset-colored maple. She seems to be holding something in her arms. As you look closer, you notice a pair of buzzards circling only about thirty feet above. You also recognize the girl—it's nine-year old Amana Ibon, the grocer's daughter. She seems frightened.

Ms. Weaver, the town tailor (and your often-harried mother).

And we're off! You don't have to use spoilers for your posts, but try to clearly indicate the location so everyone knows what to read.


Perception +7 Init +4 Active Buffs: Body None! Yeldrid is just a mundane catgirl....or, so he says. Change out She good. Stats: HP 11 (1)/12 AC 16 F-F 12 Touch 14 CMD 15 Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +1 Resources: Grit 0/1, Bullets 16, Pellets 6 Powder Horn 1:4 doses;2:10 doses

Yeldrid bends down to look at the weird leaf creature that has run into his leg.

'Blimey, little fella. I didn't even see ya there. Let me help you to ya feet.'

He lends a hand to the tiny thing, brushes him down a little and straghtens up and looks towards Baylily, 'Sorry about that, ma'am, I was too distracted looking for the cartographers to notice them racin' about.'

Yeldrid waits to see if the guardian will accept his excuse but isn't stopping for long. He needs to get inside the cartographers. And annoying guardians seems like a quick way to slow him down or keep him stuck in town for longer than he would like.

Yeldrid doffs his hat.


Male Kitsune Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1 | HP 11/11| AC: 17 T: 14 Fl: 13 | CMB: +1 CMD: 15 | F +1 R +5 W +0 | Init +3 Perception +0| Panache 3/5

Isamu, in the Cartographer's home

"I am Nakano Isamu, though around here you'd put it Isamu Nakano," Isamu states, giving the Cartographer a respectful bow. "I've already traveled some distance, and well... I wouldn't feel right if I didn't at least try. After all, if I were carried away by a giant, I'd rather like to know someone took the time to look for me."

He grins slightly at her. "I suppose whether or not we succeed will be rather up to the giant, truth be told. Maybe if we're lucky he'll turn around. But whatever the case, we're going, and I would be very grateful to at least have a vague idea of what's out there."


The Lost Tower

In the Cartographer's House

"That makes some sense." The Cartographer blinks. "Not the name thing. Switching names around sounds like some breed of devilry, to be honest. But it's a decent thing to follow the giant. Maybe you will find the mage. Or maybe you will find new maps."

As she turns toward the pile of charts she's assembled, a small warty brown thing thing appears atop her head. It's a little leopard frog. It crawls onto the lilypad and hunkers down there contentedly. The oblivious Cartographer assembles roughly a dozen scrolls, stuffing them into a worn cloth satchel. "Here's the maps that may apply," she says. "Some of them won't, of course. One was drawn by a blind child, or so I hear, and it's just about illegible. But some of them might. Something always does. I've got a few better tips about the immediate west, but...

"...Where are the rest of your lot, anyway? Aren't you leaving today?"


NG Female Half-elf Druid (Leshy Warden) AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14 | Perception +11, Sense Motive +9,

"I just don't know what has gotten into him." Baylily says as she sets Jerm upright. "But he seems to have led me here. Let me accompany you. Yeldrid, isn't it?"


"আরে, এটা ঘড়ি!" Jerm squeeks as he resumes hustling.

Druidic:
Hey, watch it!


Male Kitsune Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1 | HP 11/11| AC: 17 T: 14 Fl: 13 | CMB: +1 CMD: 15 | F +1 R +5 W +0 | Init +3 Perception +0| Panache 3/5

Isamu spreads his hands. "I can't say I know where they are. We were supposed to meet here... maybe something delayed them?"

He then holds out his hand to accept the satchel. "But I'm sure they'll be just as grateful as I am for some maps. Thank you again--I'm sure something in there will help, as you say."

Are we going to need to pay for these maps? :D


Paladin 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 17, Touch 11, FF 16 | CMB +3 | CMD 14 | Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +2 | Init +1 | Senses: Darkvision, Scent | Perception +2

Barlily. Rex hadn't been traveling for long outside his home in the fey realm but this place was his favorite so far. Why? It smelled nice. And to his sensitive nose, that was just more important than looking nice. He followed it often. It was why he found himself headed towards the Mourning Monarch rather than the Cartographer's. That and the sound of raised voices. Though he usually tried not to interfere, he was at least persuasive enough to prevent bloodshed. A little pick-me-up couldn't hurt either.

He walks over to the pub, on two legs for now, and finds a set at the bar near the argument. The stool is a little bit of climb in his armor but he was slowly getting used to all the tall furniture. He waits patiently for the bartender to notice him and takes a moment to admire the painting they were arguing over. It was lovely. Or it was at one point. Its badly faded and damaged. How had a bartender come across such a fine painting and why was it in such poor condition.

Rex doesn't have long to ponder before...something happens.

I'll wait for more.


Perception +7 Init +4 Active Buffs: Body None! Yeldrid is just a mundane catgirl....or, so he says. Change out She good. Stats: HP 11 (1)/12 AC 16 F-F 12 Touch 14 CMD 15 Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +1 Resources: Grit 0/1, Bullets 16, Pellets 6 Powder Horn 1:4 doses;2:10 doses

To Baylily

"Yep, that's me. Heading for the cartographer yourself? Too right." Yeldrid is beaming with excitement and he gestures for Baylily come with him

Absently scratching behind his head as he walks around the cartographers, Yeldrid says, "You ah...You're Baylily right? Nettlewhite I think. You're one of those lilypad tenders. I heard about you."

"I think my mates Rex and Isamu are already inside. Not sure if you know them. Only been here a little while. Hopefully they haven't left on me. We're hitting the road, ya? Going after the giant and finding the mage! At least, that's what they said the plan was. Three friends hitting the road! Could spin a yarn outta that!"

Yeldrid might have to pay in iron pots for the maps >~<


NG Female Half-elf Druid (Leshy Warden) AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14 | Perception +11, Sense Motive +9,

To Yeldrid

"That's right! You're going after Alma? I heard what those travelers said, that a giant stole her away. I... I think Jerm," Baylily bites her lip in indecision. "Would you introduce me to your friends, Yeldrid?"

To the plant beside them she add, "Now don't run off again, seedling. Is this where you want us to be?"

Together Yeldrid, Baylily and Jerm make their way to the Cartographer's House


Perception +7 Init +4 Active Buffs: Body None! Yeldrid is just a mundane catgirl....or, so he says. Change out She good. Stats: HP 11 (1)/12 AC 16 F-F 12 Touch 14 CMD 15 Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +1 Resources: Grit 0/1, Bullets 16, Pellets 6 Powder Horn 1:4 doses;2:10 doses

To Baylily

"Sure thing. They love making new friends! I'm sure they will even like your plant buddy too. He seems more eager than either of us combined."


The Lost Tower
Nakano Isamu wrote:

Isamu spreads his hands. "I can't say I know where they are. We were supposed to meet here... maybe something delayed them?"

He then holds out his hand to accept the satchel. "But I'm sure they'll be just as grateful as I am for some maps. Thank you again--I'm sure something in there will help, as you say."

Are we going to need to pay for these maps? :D

You've already paid for them! But don't tell the Cartographer you forget!

"Well, I suppose we—" the Cartographer looks up at a knock from the front door. She pads delicately over the map-covered floor and opens the door.

Baylily and Yeldrid are greeted by a young woman with owl-eyed spectacles and long, curly hair. A small leopard frog sleeps atop the lilypad on her head. They see behind her a messy room full of charts on both walls and floor, as well as a few experimental "three-dimensional maps": A disc, a globe and two cubes of varying dimensions. They also see Isamu. The Cartographer peers at the two. "Oh, hello. You're with Mr. Isa...Naka...You must be with him." She gestures behind her.

The Cartographer.

In a hurry; sorry to leave Rex momentarily with nothing to do. Hopefully that'll change fast!


Perception +7 Init +4 Active Buffs: Body None! Yeldrid is just a mundane catgirl....or, so he says. Change out She good. Stats: HP 11 (1)/12 AC 16 F-F 12 Touch 14 CMD 15 Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +1 Resources: Grit 0/1, Bullets 16, Pellets 6 Powder Horn 1:4 doses;2:10 doses

Too the Cartographer

Yeldrid doffs his hat again. "Gidday! Names Yeldrid Thozosh. I'm here for some maps!"

Yeldrid leans around the cartographer and gives Isamu a very excited wave and then points a thumb at the guardian next to him with an astonished expression on his face.


Female Arachna Vigilante (stalker) Init +2; HP 11/11; AC 19, Touch 13, FF 17; CMD 13; FCMD 11; Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1; Perception +3

Zyxebrax whistles a jaunty little tune to herself as she climbs the hill-path up to the apple orchard, alternately skipping, hopping, and dancing her way through a mock-training routine.

Looking down into her ‘picnic basket’ she smiles to herself, thinking evil doers beware! Lily Shadow has mastered the 7 ninja’s hidden strike technique, and adding an extra-exuberant leap to her routine. Landing with a little flourish, she rises to see Amana just over the ridge. Zyxebrax immediately becomes alert, something is off; looks like Lily’s going to get a chance to show off her skills soon.

Zyxebrax quickly changes into her shadow wardrobe before creeping closer to the girl to get a look at the situation.


The Lost Tower

Edge of Town

Lily Shadow advances towards the scene and sees that little Amana is cradling a large bird in her arms. It is dark gray, with, rather bizarrely, the beginnings of a handsome white mustache. Judging by the protective way Lily is clutching the bird, Lily guesses she's afraid that the vultures above will attack it.

Knowledge (nature) 10:
The people of Barlily call these "spirit terns", Lily remembers. They come by every year, flying west along the Styx, giving them their name. This one has a smaller mustache than the birds Lily's seen, though, and its feathers are much less striking.

Bird.

The Cartographer's

"Well, that's good," the Cartographer says. "If you weren't here for maps, I'd say you were lost." She gives a wheezing, clicking laugh. "But in reality, maps are no joking matter. Let me show you the basics."

She walks back behind her desk and abruptly ducks down, nearly upsetting the frog on her head. She stands back up having procured a piece of paper, which she lays flat on the table. This map is in much better condition than most in the shack, though there are some holes from a crude older binding.

Barlily's regional map.

"I've entered approximations of some places I heard about recently," she says, pointing out the labels indicating some far-off regions. "Tried to guess from what you told me. Thought it might offer useful perspective. Except the Archipelago—an artifact only, I promise. Nothing to concern yourselves with, I expect.

"You're going to want to head to the ruins here," she says, indicating the brandy bottle across the woods from Barlily. "The ghost children are good sorts, and can offer, erm, succor and such. Directions, maybe. There are two ways to get there, though.

"The first way is the fast way, through the Writhing Wood. Difficult, though. Dangerous, what with the gangles. But fast, and maybe not too dangerous for an armed band.

"The second way is over the Styx. It's mellow hereabouts, though they say it gets rougher past the ruins. You could take a boat and avoid the forest for the most part, 'long as you stayed close to the banks. Safer, but slower, and you'd have to see if anyone's willing to spot you a boat. I'm not. As I don't have one."


Male Kitsune Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1 | HP 11/11| AC: 17 T: 14 Fl: 13 | CMB: +1 CMD: 15 | F +1 R +5 W +0 | Init +3 Perception +0| Panache 3/5

The Cartographer's

"Ah! Yeldrid! Glad to see you!" Isamu says, waving back at the cat-person. "And greetings to you, miss...?" He gives Baylily an inquiring look. "I am Nakano Isamu. Rather than get into long explanations, I'll just say you should call me Isamu."

He then turns to the map. "Hmmm, I see..." he murmurs after the Cartographer's explanation. "I'd rather not come to a decision before Rex arrives, however. You didn't happen to see him, did you, Yeldrid?"


NG Female Half-elf Druid (Leshy Warden) AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14 | Perception +11, Sense Motive +9,

The Cartographer's

Baylily nods at the cartographer as she enters the house.

"Nice to meet you, Isamu."She attempts a curtsy, then adds,"Baylily Nettlewhite."

Baylily gestures down toward the plant creature clutching her leg, "And this little seedling is my companion, Jerm."

Peering at the map as the Cartographer elaborates she says, "The woods are grumpy, that's all. Most folk just don't know how to talk them."


Perception +7 Init +4 Active Buffs: Body None! Yeldrid is just a mundane catgirl....or, so he says. Change out She good. Stats: HP 11 (1)/12 AC 16 F-F 12 Touch 14 CMD 15 Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +1 Resources: Grit 0/1, Bullets 16, Pellets 6 Powder Horn 1:4 doses;2:10 doses

The Cartographer's

"Ya see? Fast friends. But ah...where's Rex? No idea. Figure we'll pick him up as we head out."

Yeldrid peers over the map, and weighs his options.

"I would suggest the boat, since we are bound to have a bit of leeway with how much time we take, but I am wondering if bushbashing isn't a bad idea."

He shakes a finger at Baylily, saying, "With a guardian, the bush isn't going to be as vicious. It's very timely that ya little fella decided to head here. I think this auspicious enough to recommend the bush track. Though ah..."

Yeldrid turns to the cartographer with an eyebrow raised.

"Ma'am, what exactly is a gangle?"


The Lost Tower

The Cartographer's

"Gangles? They're...they're these long-limbed folk that dwell in the Writhing Wood. Sharp teeth. Very strong. Very fast climbers. They prey on travelers at night, and since the forest takes a few days to get through, odds are you'll run into them. They act as normal bandits, unless they're hungry."

The Mourning Monarch

Before Rex's eyes, the painting seems to rip away from the canvas. The tailor is left holding the tattered remnants as she and the bartender stare in shock. The painting stands on the ground, motionless, a two-dimensional figure.

Her eyes twitch.


Female Arachna Vigilante (stalker) Init +2; HP 11/11; AC 19, Touch 13, FF 17; CMD 13; FCMD 11; Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1; Perception +3

Writhing Wood, Orchard
Lily creeps closer under the cover of some bushes, peering up at the strange, tasty-looking specks in the sky.

knowledge, nature: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16 max 10

She readies herself to attack the creatures if they prove hostile, or to go out and comfort the girl---leading her back to the village---if they remain airborne.

So I asked a while ago via PM what lily’s starting gold would be given she’s not to turn up for a little bit, and never got an answer. Should I assume average gp for a first level vigilante?


The Lost Tower

Oh, sorry, I must have missed that. She starts out with 500 gp as a second-level character (due to ABP rules). Magic items are not available for everyday purchase.

The vultures don't seem eager to land just yet. They appear content to wait for their prey—probably the tern, as a nine-year old human would be a bit large for two ordinary buzzards—to emerge.


Female Arachna Vigilante (stalker) Init +2; HP 11/11; AC 19, Touch 13, FF 17; CMD 13; FCMD 11; Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1; Perception +3

Writhing Wood, Orchard

Lily stands up, and walks clear of the bushes.
Hello little one, why don't we go find your parents; I'm sure they would not want you wandering around this close to the wood.

Lily crouches down a few feet from the girl to appear less threatening, a smile parting the large fangs on her face.


Male Kitsune Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1 | HP 11/11| AC: 17 T: 14 Fl: 13 | CMB: +1 CMD: 15 | F +1 R +5 W +0 | Init +3 Perception +0| Panache 3/5

The Cartographer's

Isamu looks down at Yeldrid and shrugs slightly. "They don't sound particularly pleasant to me, and I prefer to avoid fighting unless it's necessary. But what do you think, Baylily?" He looks over at the half-elf.


The Lost Tower

Writhing Wood Orchard

Amana looks up and jumps. She squints. "Lily Shadow? Is that you?" As the bird in her arms squirms, she glances down at it, then back up at Lily with an urgent expression. "I've gotta get him up in the air! He's gonna fall behind!"


Female Arachna Vigilante (stalker) Init +2; HP 11/11; AC 19, Touch 13, FF 17; CMD 13; FCMD 11; Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1; Perception +3

Writhing Wood, Orchard

"It sure is!" Lily stands up to her full height, so the girl can see her signature crime-fighting apparel. "And you're worried for his safety, I see." Lily pulls a gold piece out of her robe. "Why don't you run off to the butcher's to buy some offal; the older the better. These buzzard will like what he has to offer more than they'll want this little bird, then we can release him free from harm. Do you think you can do that for me?" Lily waits patiently.


The Lost Tower

The Orchard

"Um...sure! Should I take Mustache with me, or..." The girl pauses, one heel bouncing with eagerness to run.


Female Arachna Vigilante (stalker) Init +2; HP 11/11; AC 19, Touch 13, FF 17; CMD 13; FCMD 11; Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1; Perception +3

Orchard

"You'll move faster without him; don't worry, I'll look after him while you're gone. Lily Shadow is on the case!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paladin 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 17, Touch 11, FF 16 | CMB +3 | CMD 14 | Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +2 | Init +1 | Senses: Darkvision, Scent | Perception +2
Cartographer wrote:

The Mourning Monarch

Before Rex's eyes, the painting seems to rip away from the canvas. The tailor is left holding the tattered remnants as she and the bartender stare in shock. The painting stands on the ground, motionless, a two-dimensional figure.

Her eyes twitch.

Rex hops off the stool and lands on all four. He stands before the not so inanimate painting and calls out a challenge. "I am Rex, warrior of Danaan the Sun Chaser. You will cease any hostile actions and identify yourself. Should you move to attack me or any person in this establishment I will cut you down with all the power and skill I can muster."

To the patrons of the pub, all they see is a dog in armor barking at piece of canvas that moved.

Is it all right if I give Rex a Corgyn language? One that sounds an awful lot like barking? Mechanically he couldn't even use it to communicate with other wolves or dogs. Only other Corgyns.


NG Female Half-elf Druid (Leshy Warden) AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14 | Perception +11, Sense Motive +9,

The Cartographer's

"I do not like to think the woods would be unsafe, Isamu, but if you'd rather avoid any trouble I won't ask you to risk yourself."

She looks down at Jerm again, "Either way you go, I think he wants to go with you."


The Lost Tower

The Orchard

The girl relinquishes the bird and runs off with the gold piece. Lily Shadow is left holding a large, squirmy bird, which is not quite as heroic as saving merchants from gangles or rescuing a drowning man in the Styx. The tern looks up at her and lets out an impatient squawk.

About a minute later, the buzzards above seem to take interest in something else. They turn and flap away noisily towards a small figure running toward the tree.

A few minutes later still, Amana returns, now out of breath. She holds up nine silver pieces. "He wouldn't take a whole gold piece so he gave me change and I told him I'd get the change to you because it wasn't my money we should let Mustache go before those vultures come back!"

The Mourning Monarch

Sure, you can speak Corgyn. :P

The tailor and bartender look down at the barking corgyn in confusion. "Um, ma'am," the bartender says nervously, "is everything quite alright?"


Paladin 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 17, Touch 11, FF 16 | CMB +3 | CMD 14 | Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +2 | Init +1 | Senses: Darkvision, Scent | Perception +2

Rex is male. Or did you mean Lanuola?

Rex looks at the bartender and cocks his head in a confused and adorable fashion. "Yes?" He then realizes he'd been speaking in his native tongue. Of course they wouldn't understand. "Sorry. When I get agitated I forget to use your language." If the painting doesn't move he stands up but keeps his eyes on it. "Is your painting supposed to that sir? Where I come from, paintings stay still."


The Lost Tower

The bartender isn't necessarily good at gauging the genders of canines. :P

"No..." The bartender frowns at the painting. "What in the devil is this? What did you do, Weaver?"

"A simple mending spell!" the tailor protests. "It shouldn't have done this..."

"You bewitcheried my painting! You...bewitcher!"

Lanuola, you there?


Perception +7 Init +4 Active Buffs: Body None! Yeldrid is just a mundane catgirl....or, so he says. Change out She good. Stats: HP 11 (1)/12 AC 16 F-F 12 Touch 14 CMD 15 Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +1 Resources: Grit 0/1, Bullets 16, Pellets 6 Powder Horn 1:4 doses;2:10 doses

The Cartographers

Yeldrid taps the tip of his foot against the floor, 'I don't have a problem with avoiding bandits. Finding a boat is gonna be the problem though. If we don't, this cat could make one, but it'll slow us right down.'

Yeldrid lets out a sigh and looks out a window at the sky, 'Bloody hell, Rex sure is taking a while. You suppose he's alright?'


The Lost Tower

On her way here, Baylily recalls seeing the dogperson called Rex lingering by the Mourning Monarch pub.


NG Female Half-elf Druid (Leshy Warden) AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14 | Perception +11, Sense Motive +9,

The Cartographer's

"Rex? Is that your Corgyn friend? I think I saw him near the Mourning Monarch as I was chasing after Jerm."


Female Painterlilly 1 Origami Master Summoner

Yep! sry!
The Mourning Monarch

Lanuola's eye's blink lethargically until some semblance of focus is obtained. She blinks away the hazy remains of her stupor as confusion and alarm replace it at the sight of the three strange individuals before her. The oddest of all appearing to be some sort of armored bipedal canine speaking of paintings-

"The paintings!" She gasps, a light accent picking at the corners of her odd speech pattern. Unsteadily she advances toward the bartender, eyes fixed on the framed and tattered vessel which once contained her.

"Can this beest? Thee've did free me! Wh're art the oth'rs? What is this pl-" before even finishing her sentence, she notices the flimsiness of her limbs and the odd dimensions her current form now possessed. Raising her trembling waifish hand to her face in horror and disbelief, she becomes all to aware that something had gone terribly wrong. Every detail and feature of her person appears to now consist of masterful strokes of paint raised slightly to distinguish depth. Her head frantically turns this way and that to better view her impossibly thin body.

"What has't thee done to me!" She loudly questions the group, whilst doing her best not to hyperventilate.

"Grant me a mirr'r so yond i might bett'r view this madness!"
Her tone akin to someone who is used to getting their way.


Perception +7 Init +4 Active Buffs: Body None! Yeldrid is just a mundane catgirl....or, so he says. Change out She good. Stats: HP 11 (1)/12 AC 16 F-F 12 Touch 14 CMD 15 Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +1 Resources: Grit 0/1, Bullets 16, Pellets 6 Powder Horn 1:4 doses;2:10 doses

The Cartographer's

Yeldrid nods and looks to Isamu, "Does he drink? I don't remember if he does. Maybe he was just looking for somewhere to nap. This cat does that sometimes too. We should go find him!"

Addressing the cartographer, "Would ya mind if we go and grab our mate Rex from the pub? He probably got sidetracked and we need his opinion before we decide on anything."


The Lost Tower

The Cartographer's

"I don't have any problem." The Cartographer blinks. "I have no previous appointments, anyways."

The Mourning Monarch

The tailor continues to stare at Lanuola in stunned disbelief.

The bartender ducks down behind the counter and wordlessly provides a plain hand mirror. It is difficult for Lanuola to grasp at first, thanks to her newly two-dimensional state.


Male Kitsune Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1 | HP 11/11| AC: 17 T: 14 Fl: 13 | CMB: +1 CMD: 15 | F +1 R +5 W +0 | Init +3 Perception +0| Panache 3/5

"Well, I suppose we'll be back in a bit, then," Isamu says, turning towards the door. "Shall we head over there?"


The Lost Tower

I'll give Rex a chance to react to Lanuola, but the cartography club can turn back and arrive at the Mourning Monarch fairly promptly after that.


Female Arachna Vigilante (stalker) Init +2; HP 11/11; AC 19, Touch 13, FF 17; CMD 13; FCMD 11; Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1; Perception +3

Orchard

Lily absentmindedly toys with the mustachioed bird, wondering why vultures would be so interested in live prey. Usually the wood provides plenty of carrion. She sits there, pondering this development, until at last the girl comes back. Well done little one, and here's a silver for you too; every good deed should have it's reward. Lily receives her change, then extends one of the silver pieces back to Amana.

Would you like to release him? You need to be very gentle about it, lift him up into the air above your head, then get a little running start to the west, and gently toss him into the air. Lily gently hands the little fluff-ball over to Amana, then points her in the correct direction to release the bird.


The Lost Tower

The Orchard

Amana takes the bird gingerly. It seems to squirm a lot less in her arms. She turns and takes a few bounds toward the orchard before leaping and throwing him—perhaps a little over-excitedly—into the air. "Mustache" flaps frantically a few times, then rights himself and spreads his wings. At last, Lily sees a possible sign as to why he was in the care of Amana—several of his major wing feathers seem to have been damaged, though they've mostly recovered.

The spirit tern rises up, catching the wind, and flies swiftly up into the air.

"Bye, Mustache!" shouts Amana, her voice catching slightly. "See you next fall!"


Female Arachna Vigilante (stalker) Init +2; HP 11/11; AC 19, Touch 13, FF 17; CMD 13; FCMD 11; Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1; Perception +3

Orchard

Lily watches the bird clear the tree-line, then turns to Amana. "and you had better be getting home too, if you want your lunch." Lily waits until the young-ling scampers off, then heads off the trail into the woods a ways, to practice.


Paladin 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 17, Touch 11, FF 16 | CMB +3 | CMD 14 | Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +2 | Init +1 | Senses: Darkvision, Scent | Perception +2

The Mourning Monarch

"I am no beest ma'am." Rex starts to get agitated again. A growl nearly escapes but he holds it back. He takes a less aggressive stance as he recognizes her fear and confusion. She obviously didn't know what was happening either. "I think you might be the best person to answer what has happened. You did pop out of a painting. Just not all the way it seems. Are you cursed?"


The Lost Tower

The Writhing Wood

Lily Shadow makes her way into the familiar forest. To many, this is a place of danger and foulness, but to Lily Shadow it is home. Her hideout is still a little ways off, but first, it's time to practice.

What do you do to train?

The Mourning Monarch

"It's definitely some kind of curse!" sputters Ms. Weaver. "Madam, I don't meant to alarm you, but you are of two dimensions."

At that moment, the doorbell chimes as the rest of the group arrives.


Perception +7 Init +4 Active Buffs: Body None! Yeldrid is just a mundane catgirl....or, so he says. Change out She good. Stats: HP 11 (1)/12 AC 16 F-F 12 Touch 14 CMD 15 Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +1 Resources: Grit 0/1, Bullets 16, Pellets 6 Powder Horn 1:4 doses;2:10 doses

The Mourning Monarch

Yeldrid is looking at first for Rex, and, upon spying him, immediately makes a beeline for him. "Ah, there's the bloody bastard! Rex, you legend, you taking a snooze or-"

Yeldrid stops as he sees the flat person.

"Crikey, lady, ya get caught in a stampede or something? You're as flat as parchment!"


NG Female Half-elf Druid (Leshy Warden) AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14 | Perception +11, Sense Motive +9,

"That's the painting!" Baylily exclaims, "What are you doing outside of your painting?"


Female Arachna Vigilante (stalker) Init +2; HP 11/11; AC 19, Touch 13, FF 17; CMD 13; FCMD 11; Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +1; Perception +3

The Writhing Wood

Zyxebrax, still in her guise as Lily Shadow, looks down into the basket holding her equipment. The armor and shield were basic, beaten implements bought second-hand from travelling caravan guards with no more need for them. She hoists the shield, and the armor with a frown. The shield was a touch too big for her, and the chain shirt hung down nearly to her knees, significantly restricting her freedom of movement. Zyx sighs a little before donning the armor, and slipping her arm through the straps of the shield. Well, it was a small price to pay if it kept her safe from the waiting teeth and claws of the forest's inhabitants. She'd had a few too many close calls already, and climbing away wouldn't save her should she encounter a gangle.

More quickly she picks out her weapons, a badly-dinged rapier, a couple knives, and her father's embossed dagger---pausing to look at the last lovingly a moment, before stowing them to their proper place in her outfit. Finally, she retrieves 10 candles and her blind-fold, leaving just a book, and a length of rope in the basket. She lights the candles, placing them in various nooks and crannies around a clearing before blindfolding herself; taking extra care to cover all 8 of her eyes (even the ones on the back of her head). A few quick spins for disorientation, and she was off. Moving to the right, she draws one of the knives, throwing it at the remembered location of one of the candles. With a cartwheel, she comes around, drawing her father's dagger to cut the whick of a few more candles, before throwing it at another one at the other edge of the clearing with an acrobatic tumble. Drawing her rapier with one smooth motion as she perfectly sticks the landing, she comes around to thrust the blade deep into the bowl of a tree, and the candle placed behind it. Seemingly defenseless, she moves over towards the last few candles, slicing them in a blur of nimble steel as the small spikes of her armor scour their surface.

Panting slightly, Zyx removes her bandana to review her work: several of the candles were extinguished, a few more she'd missed by a few hairs. Clearly she needed more practice. With a happy little sigh, she retrieves her weapons, relights the candles, and goes back to work.

After a couple hours, she packs her equipment up, and heads for her hideout, a little tree-fort a ways into the woods. There she picks out the book, Deeds of the Crimson Avenger: Volume 6---The Starlit Heist, placing it on the floor, before binding herself with the rope. A good few hours pass, as she entertains herself; working to escape from different bindings while reading about her hero's newest exploits.


Male Kitsune Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 1 | HP 11/11| AC: 17 T: 14 Fl: 13 | CMB: +1 CMD: 15 | F +1 R +5 W +0 | Init +3 Perception +0| Panache 3/5

Isamu opens his mouth to speak, but decides that there are enough questions flying around just at this moment, and so closes his mouth to wait for answers.

1 to 50 of 497 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A Journey Uncharted All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.