Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Way of the Wicked - a Tale of the Fall of Talingarde

Game Master Mark Sweetman


51 to 100 of 2,071 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

There's something wrong when the Devil is the one trying to get people to cooperate :p


Antipaladin lvl 3

Hey, I am cooperating :P


Male Half Elf Summoner (Master Summoner 6)

Well I think we're cooperating rather well for complete strangers and bastards to boot. This kind of thing takes time. Besides...

"Mr. Gaav for the purposes of getting out of here I have revealed all I care to reveal at this time to a devil whom I've not personally summoned. I only ask that you trust in our desire to survive this is at least as much as yours and that any capabilities we have that would get us out of our immediate predicament would have been used already. Besides, seeing as our only, heh, salvation currently lies in the hands of that delicate woman over there perhaps it is to her you should be entreating for cooperation? As for myself I can gather more of your kindred here under my own power as I have been saying. Anything else will be revealed as it becomes necessary."

Cheliax

(AC 17, hp 24 of 43) Cleric of Asmodeus 5

"Does no one know how to whisper?" Albina hisses, wincing as the others bicker. "And this is no time to fight, gentleman. You're all pretty."

To Mi'Dre's question, she replies, still whispering, I am Albina Mariposa, an acolyte to the faith of the Prince of Darkness. I can call forth fire, forces of healing, or channel death itself, but as an acolyte, none of these effects will be sufficient to make the heaven's tremble with their power, unlike our friend who can conjure many devils and one's of greater rank than yourself. No doubt, once we free him, he can overrun the prison with a dozen Erinyes, and conjure us away from here. she says, taking Shawn's boasts at their value.

My sister's generosity comes at cost, however. She charges us to meet her, three days hence, at a location on the Old Moor Road that I shall reveal when we are out of this place...


Antipaladin lvl 3

Escaping from prison with the promise of employment. HA, this day is getting better and better. If it true of course...
In a wisper he address his fellow cellmates.
Assuming we can get away of our chains, can the lock of the cell's door be picked also? Does it need to be or can one of you fine mages just blink us away back to the main land? By the way, I never quite got your names mister devil and sir half elf... with a smile.


Primordial Ooze

From what was visible of the gate it was opened using a key not dissimilar to that on your manacles - if you were able to pick the chains you could likely unlock the gate.


Albrecht raised an eyebrow when Albina mentioned that they were to meet her sister following their escape. Now that they were branded Forsaken, they would need any harbourage until they could escape Talingarde. Or at least, that was Albrecht's plan. They were right not to give the gaav too much information; he was still a Devil after all.

"Are we in agreement then, we'll attempt to make good our escape during the night?" Albrecht whispered, "Escaping under the cover of darkness will be easiest."


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

Mi'Dre turns and gives Albina such a bow as he is able to. Someone else at least was being sensible. Devils did betray people at times, but not with a knife in the back, but for their very souls. His mission had been an unusual one and the events following stranger with how his body had been reacting to them, but he was a being of Hell; when they'd recognized him and spoken infernal he'd thought they would realize what that meant.

When Albina admitted to being an Acolyte of Asmodeus the Devil's respect only deepened, and he kept his voice low as he spoke now. "Thank you Milady Mariposa. I pledge to you that if we are able to win free of this island safely, I will accompany you to meet with your sister to thank her. If these other fellow damned" he couldn't help a smile, even as his attention remained on Albina "live up to their claims of aid, then I promise to assist their escape as best I can."

He turned away from Albina then to look at the other three. "By your own admissions you have consorted with devils, I have no need to betray any of you to ensure your soul's eventual arrival in my master's domain. I will not harm you unless you betray me first. If you doubt my word then you are greater fools than you appear." he wasn't quite so certain about Albrecht's soul, but given where he had ended up, and his mastery of Infernal it seemed likely. Regardless he had no trouble making such vows, even to ones such as these.

He focused on Jack, paying the courtesy of answering his question. "You may call me Mi'Dre, I am a Gaav, or 'Lesser Host Devil' as you mortal's are want to label us." his sneer showed his thoughts on using such names.

His attention shifted to Albrecht then. "I have no problem acting at night. If you mean tonight however, I think that Milady Mariposa is right, we should perhaps spend some time observing the guards."

Turning back to Albina once again he gave another bow and gestured to the clawed hand still floating in front of her. "If I may, could I have the tools Milady?" he asks politely, his tone not quite servile, but recognizing that by nature of being the one with the tools for their escape, was to some degree in charge "Or do you think we should wait until closer to the escape? It would be useful for me to have a chance to... reconnoiter our situation before then if possible."


Male Half Elf Summoner (Master Summoner 6)

"I am Shendalyn of the House of Shawn. Though I am afraid such a title is meaningless here."

Infernal:
"Night suits me just fine."

"But let's not linger. No doubt your sister may have means to cover our trail should we get that far."


Primordial Ooze

Just popping in to assert that your fate is in your hands to force the issue. As a DM I tend to hold back until someone posts a specific intent in character (as a physical action - rather than just talking over it) before I move things forward in a tangible sense.
I have no issues with the tentative dealbrokering and discussion RP going on; just wanted to make it clear.


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

Well I'm mainly waiting for Albina to hand over the picks :p Otherwise the only physical action he could do would be to try an escape artist, and that's not going to help him get out of the cell or the like :)


Male Half Elf Summoner (Master Summoner 6)

Fraid the ole boys right. Our fates are in our lovely cleric's hands. :)


Antipaladin lvl 3

Not sure how long would take us to get to the Old Moor Road or even to get out of this p&%&hole. Once we get out they will probably patrol the roads, we may have to move slowly.

Lets escape while we can, the night sounds fine.

Knowledge local: The distance and the better (less used) path to the old moor road from the prison.
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Primordial Ooze

Black Jack - that sort of info would be a Knowledge (Geography).. however

The moors are not overlarge, though they are difficult to traverse if one does not know the way. You have heard a tall tale of a overgrown toad that haunts the swampland.


Antipaladin lvl 3

Whoops, srry and thanks.


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

It seemed the others were leaning towards leaving this very night, and while he did not wish to remain here any longer than needed, the risk of rushing ahead without any information on the prison seemed... unwise.

"I propose that if I am able to pick the cuffs, that I should scout the prison and return here before we make any further plans for tonight." the small Devil offered, looking at the three males before settling his gaze on Albina.

Cheliax

(AC 17, hp 24 of 43) Cleric of Asmodeus 5

Sorry, was waiting to find out if Albina could *reach* Mi'Dre to hand off the picks, or if we were going to have to throw them and pray. I guess I should have bolded that question.

Albina pulls the small tools free, and very, very carefully hands them to the gaav. "Hide them in your mouth, or beneath your skin, if you hear anyone approaching, we won't have a second such gift if they are discovered..."

She tucks the veil back into her hair, so that the square of white cloth isn't visible to any guard who passes by.

At the gaav's offer to scout, "I'm not giving you picks so that you can sneak off on your own. We all leave this place, or none of us, so that none remain behind to tell the guards where the rest went.


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

Ahh, well Mi'Dre cast mage hand to take them from her a few posts back...

Mi'Dre wafted the picks over to himself, and eagerly set to work, though after a few moments he calmed himself and worked at it a bit more patiently. He sighed as Albina voiced distrust of him as well. "I have already promised that I will work with the rest of you to escape. I will unlock all of your cuffs before I leave, but I hope you will listen to me and remain in the cell until I have had a chance to locate the guards and figure out how the prison is laid out, rather than all of us tromping about and getting caught. I cannot and will not force you to do so, that choice is up to you." the Devil's annoyance was obvious at the repeated questioning of his motives. "Someone please keep an ear out for the guards while I work..."

Taking 20 give Mi'Dre a Disable Device of 25 (27 if the tools are masterwork). Taking 20 would require 2 minutes, correct? If he has the time he will unlock Albina next, then Albrecht, Shendalyn, and then Jack, before heading for the door to the cell.


Primordial Ooze

As Albina removes the patch from the veil, it slowly becomes thicker and more solid - yielding a set of well made thief's tools.

Taking 20 is not permitted here - as the picks make noise that could be noticed while being used.
You'll have to do it check by check I'm afraid.
They are masterwork tools; though as your hands are currently manacled you take a -2 on the check - so it balances out.

The DC on the check is 20; so could you please make up to 4 checks in an attempt to beat it...


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

Ahh, alrighty then. So lets get started...

Disable Device attempt 1:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Disable Device attempt 2:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Disable Device attempt 3:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Disable Device attempt 4:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Wow... that's some spectacularly bad rolls...

As Mi'Dre slipped the tools into the lock he could feel the quality, nodding approvingly to himself as he set to work. The lock didn't seem too complex either, it didn't really need to be since the chance of the prisoners managing to sneak in tools were so low. Despite the quality of the tools and lock however, his battered fingers seemed unable to slide the delicate probes into place. As he realized how much noise he was making he only grew more fumble fingered, and several nervous looks towards the door didn't ease his nerves any, his ears straining for the approach of booted feet.

Perception to hear any response from outside the cell.1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Ugh, so now I get the 15 I needed *facepalm*


Primordial Ooze

Fickle Wind of Fate:
4d20 ⇒ (2, 17, 6, 5) = 30

Mi'Dre finds the tools difficult to work with due to the angles required to get the picks into the lock. After a time spent struggling, he stops a moment and strains his ears...

...and hears a snatch of conversation between two guards, and fairly close...

“That Blackerly is a damned thievin bastard! No way that game was fair!”
“If it’s rigged, why do you friggin keep going back to the gatehouse then?"
"Wait, can you hear that?"
a short silence ensues
"There's nothing, probably just a feckin rat; don't change the bloody subject"

Mi'Dre pauses a while and does not notice any further discussion, or sound of feet approaching.

Have another shot if you like ;)


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

Phew... Alright, let's try another four.

The Devil closes his eyes, his heart feeling like it was about to pound it's way out of his chest, taking several slow, calming breaths before he feels his pulse calm enough to have another attempt. Those guards really had done a number on him, but he was sure he could do this...

Checks 1-4: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 141d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 131d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 81d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


Primordial Ooze

Fickle Wind of Fate:
4d20 ⇒ (6, 7, 16, 9) = 38

As Mi'Dre fumbles in the locks further, your attention is drawn as you hear the sound of footsteps and a door opening in the distance.... you hear a quiet voice "Now that weren't a rat..."

What does Mi'Dre do with the picks?


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

Uhh well I think I should let the others post their reactions to Mi'Dre's failure, but he's going to stuff em in his cheeks (unless I'm misjudging their size) and look sullen.


Primordial Ooze

Cheeks might be a bit troublesome if you're asked a question...
Individual picks are roughly 6 inches long, and you've got a half-dozen on a central ring.


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

Yeah, that's a bit much to stick in his mouth... Does it seem like enough time to hand then off to someone else? and if there is who's he close enough to to do so?


Primordial Ooze

Handing off could occur, and you're close enough to pass things along between each other if you wish.
You could pass it to whomever you saw fit.


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

Mi'Dre let out an Infernal curse under his breath. He'd been too impatient, and too clumsy. Well he would suffer for his efforts if necessary. They had time and as long as they had the picks they had a chance. Hurriedly he handed the picks back to Albina, or whoever looked willing to hide them, and then hunched down, leaning over his chains, as is trying to hide his actions from view of the guards and stuck his claw back in the lock he'd just been picking, attempting to replicate the sounds. He wasn't much of an actor, but he hoped he could fool the guards. If he was lucky they'd laugh at the 'dumb devil' if he was unlucky then he'd earn a beating or worse, but hopefully their escape would be protected.

Play along... I'll take the blame, just don't let them find those picks... the devil's muttering sounded clear to the other's minds as the guards approached, while he occasionally let out more curses in Infernal.

I'll leave things there for the others to catch back up.


Male Half Elf Summoner (Master Summoner 6)

Seeing the Gaav start to panic and realizing they're about to be had Shendalyn shrugs and simply plays to the character the guards expect. Well, I was going to take a beating later anyway.

Infernal:
"If anyone has to take a beating let it be me. No use of you take a club to the head and drop our salvation in front of the guards."

Turning to Black Jack and Albina he gives something that might resemble a dashing wink and grips his chains taking an intake of breath as if about to start screaming preparing to make himself a rather big distraction.

Cheliax

(AC 17, hp 24 of 43) Cleric of Asmodeus 5

Albina attempts to secure the picks down the back of whatever garment she has on her upper body, and presses her back flat to the wall, so as to trap them between flesh and the wall, to prevent them from making any clanking noises from shifting around.


Primordial Ooze

The sounds draw near to the gate of your cell, then a black haired guard appears with club in hand. He pauses outside the iron barred gate peering at you within...
Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7 No need to roll against a check this low.
...leering eyes not finding anything worthy of entering the cell. He pauses a moment to say "Best to keep it quiet little mice... or I'll shut you up with ol' thumpy here" a buck toothed grin crosses his face and he runs the club back and forth along the bars of the gate.

Perception DC 12:
The club has brown-red stains on the end that appear to be aged bloodstains.

Sense Motive DC 10:
The guard does not hide his sadism... it looks like he's itching for an excuse to come in and give any one of you a beating.

Unless directly challenged, he'd move back to the guardroom...

Cheliax

(AC 17, hp 24 of 43) Cleric of Asmodeus 5

Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Sense Motive 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Recognizing the look in the guard's eyes, Albina hangs quiet as a churchmouse, doing nothing to attract his attentions and keeping her eyes low, so that they do not meet his own.


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

Perception1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Sense Motive1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Mi'Dre frowns as Shendalyn offers to take the fall for him. In the long run it would be better for all of them to allow him to continue to work with the picks, but even so it was very... noble of him, and Mi'Dre's respect for him ratcheted up a couple of notches. It proved unnecessary however, the guard incompetent enough that he did nothing more than threaten them. The devil noticed the state of 'ol' thumpy' but just glared at the guard, gently lowering his hands and removing his claw.

Once he was gone Mi'Dre just sagged. The guards may be thugs, but they obviously shouldn't be discounted completely. If they caught them mid break out then it would be a pain...

"Apologies... I'll wait for a while and try again, and be a bit more careful." he murmured, hunching down, or sitting completely if he was able to, and just resting quietly for about 20 minutes or so before he straightened again, asking for the picks. Is anybody capable of hiding these better than sticking them behind their back? I can pick the lock, but the manacles make it difficult, so the guards may hear again... It will be slightly easier when I no longer have the manacles restricting me..."


Primordial Ooze

Unless someone want to try something else in the 20min interim; Mi'Dre can reattempt the lockpicking.


Male Half Elf Summoner (Master Summoner 6)

Nothing from me.


Antipaladin lvl 3

Perception:
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14
Sense motive:
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9

Jack just looks at the guard and then looks down. Awaiting for him to go away.


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

Alright. Didn't want to get too ahead of everyone in case someone had something to say.

Mi'Dre was mildly annoyed as he received no response, but just shrugged it off, he took the work a bit slower this time, determined not to let himself get shaken and give them away again; their luck couldn't hold out forever.

Disable Device
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 101d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 161d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 171d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Oh come on...

Cheliax

(AC 17, hp 24 of 43) Cleric of Asmodeus 5

Sorry, missed the chance to do this on the last set of rolls.

As Albina is close enough to Mi'Dre, she hopes that she is close enough to steady the shackles for him, and attempts to call upon infernal favor to enhance his luck...

guidance for a +1 on his rolls and her own rolls, attempting to Aid Other on his checks, to add another +2

all Aid Other checks are DC 10, 1d20 +1 for Dex, +1 for guidance, -2 for no picks
1d20 ⇒ 15 +3 to first roll

1d20 ⇒ 16 +3 to second roll

1d20 ⇒ 16 +3 to third roll

1d20 ⇒ 7 only +1 to this roll (failed Aid Other, but guidance is still good)


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

Hmm, guidance would be fine, but I don't think Aid Another would work would it? Besides which Disable Device is trained only.

Ugh if only I could use your rolls, that's three successful checks right there :s


Male Half Elf Summoner (Master Summoner 6)

I think this will be the first AP where the group dies of starvation before they even leave the first room. j/k :P

EDIT: Tell you what. Shendalyn's bored. Is he close enough to give Mi'dre a hand?


Primordial Ooze

Fickle Wind of Fate:
4d20 ⇒ (8, 9, 4, 16) = 37

Bending around RAW for a moment to allow progress ;)

After Mi'Dre bumbles his way through another failed attempt, Albina draws near to assist him. He manages on the second attempt to finally pry open the lock on the manacles that hold his wrists restricted. As they fall to the floor with a clunk, you all go quiet to hear for the guards... but as luck would have it, you hear no indication that you have been made. The guards continue their muffled conversation.

So Mi'Dre is now free from shackles. No more -2 from having hands bound; and you get an extra +2 as the other locks are similar: so you'll be checking on a +9.
If you can limit your qty of checks to four at a time - that will help me with the guard's perception checks, etc.

Cheliax

(AC 17, hp 24 of 43) Cleric of Asmodeus 5

Albina continues to whisper soft incantations to Asmodeus to grant his infernal guidance to Mi'Dre's efforts.

guidance, +1 to Mi'Dre's checks.


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

Phew. About time *sigh*

Mi'Dre lets out a relieved sigh, giving Albina a grateful smile. "Thank you." he whispers, giving his hands a good proper flex now that they were freed from his bonds. He really did need to practice his pickwork more, but the talent wasn't often called for in Hell. Giving his wrists a last rub he doesn't waste too much more time before getting to work on Albina's cuffs, letting Albina's prayers guide his hands.

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 241d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 301d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 161d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

The devil can't help but smile, finding it vastly easier now that his hands are free. In short work he clicks open Albina's cuffs, and hurries next to Albrecht, his dropping just as quickly. As he moves to Shendalyn he slows slightly again, and feels the pick start to slip, almost losing it before Albina's magic steadies his hands, and the summoner's cuffs too click open, Mi'Dre doing his best to catch the cuffs before they fall each time.


Primordial Ooze

Fickle Wind of Fate:
4d20 ⇒ (3, 17, 1, 11) = 32

Albina's chains are unclasped without incident, though as Mi'Dre unlocks Albrecht's manacles, the muffled voices of the guards go quiet suddenly, and you hear the creak of an unoiled hinge...

Mi'Dre managed to unlock Albina and Albrecht before the noise - what do you do?

Cheliax

(AC 17, hp 24 of 43) Cleric of Asmodeus 5

Albina reaches into the veil and produces a dagger, stuffing it (carefully) into Albrecht's breeches, and whispers, Pretend that we are still manacled. If they open the cell door to inspect, the three of us will have to kill them now before they can close it and sound an alarm. before turning and putting her hands up into the unlocked manacles, and turning the opened clasps behind her wrists, so that they appear closed still in the uncertain lighting.


Male Gaav (52/52 hitpoints) Inquisitor

Mi'Dre nods, bowing to Albina's wisdom, and ceasing his efforts. He quickly hands Shendalyn the picks and slips back to his own position in the lineup, again taking on the sullen demeanor; it wasn't exactly hard to summon in the current circumstances... If there were only the two guards they'd heard earlier, then they should be able to take them, but whether they would do so without sounding an alarm was another matter entirely...


Albrecht sets his hands as though they were still in the manacles, turning the locking mechanism as best he can so that it's facing the floor. He then bows his head in an effort to appear broken; not an easy task as inside his heart was pounding. Despite his appearance, he tensed himself ready to move for the door to block any escape the guards attempt.

Cheliax

(AC 17, hp 24 of 43) Cleric of Asmodeus 5

If I can get one focused on me, I shall. Albina whispers.

Realizing that this move is for all the pawns on the board, she does what she has avoided throughout her captivity, arranging herself to draw attention to her pale, smooth skin, so as to attract the eye of her captors.

She watches anxiously for the arrival of the guard or guards who will check upon them, and tries to remember if any of them seemed remotely attractive, if in a lowborn sort of way, as she knows the bluff will fail if it seems preposterous and unbelievable, as it would if she were to cast a come-hither glance to one of the more hideous specimens.

When the guard or guards appear, she hopes to use Sense Motive to see if any of them 'take the bait,' and try to pick the one that seems the most plausible for her to invite for a private encounter, and use Bluff to convey a subtle message (via appraising glance, and look of disapproval to his comrades, if possible) to that guard to come back later, alone...

Ideally, she'll be able to block any cry for help with her mouth over his own, while Albrecht and Mi'Dre murder the hell out of him. White Butterfly. Black Widow. Whatever works. :)


Primordial Ooze

I'm pausing a little longer to allow for Shedalyn and Jack to weigh in on their preparations... as this might be a pivotal point in the escape...


Male Half Elf Summoner (Master Summoner 6)

Quickly closing his fist around the picks Shendalyn settles back into what he's been like since his capture. His eyes glass over and he stares blankly at the ground as he settles in to his chains once more.

51 to 100 of 2,071 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM VoV: Way of the Wicked - Game Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.