Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Valkur's Rise of the Runelords

Game Master Valkur

Sandpoint
Current Day:
Day 40, 30th of Lamashan, Morning


301 to 350 of 2,458 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 38 | AC: 16 (11 T / 15 FF) -or- 18 w/shield (17 FF) | F/R/W +6/+2/+3 (+1 vs fear, +2 vs evil) | CMD 18 | Ini +1 | Prcptn +4

"So, do we try to climb over the wall or do we leave by the gate and walk our way back over to this point to pick up the trail?"


Female Oread Monk of the Sacred Mountain 4 (AC: 16 (20) [T: 15 F: 14] HP: 38/38 Fort: +7 Ref: +7 Will +8 Perc: +10 Init: +2)

In response to Bel'Tanis' question, the stone monk vaults herself up towards the wall, attempting to climb over it on her own.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18 -4 for 20ft land speed, total 14
Climb: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

She lands about three feet up on the wall, though her grip strains a bit on its surface, sliding back down to the ground. "...We go around." She simply declares, before heading off towards the city gates.


Male Human Whiteblade Magus of Iomedae 4 (AC: 14 (18 w/shield) [T: 10 FF: 14 (18)] | HP: 34/34 | F+5, R+0, W+4 | Init: +2 |Perc: +0/+2 with blade drawn)

Reposting, it may be just me, but I don't see the post of mine DM-Valkur is responding to. I see his response twice instead.

Thaddeus explains what he knows of Father Tobyn and his daughter, and explains that the robes were not Father Tobyn's vestments of Desna. As Scoria hands him the robe, he cocks his head at the woman, and hands it back to the Khrondak.

Shoanti:
"Brother-in-arms, you had expressed desire to carry the robe? I hand them back to you if you still want to maintain them. I only ask that I may inspect them in the morning."

As Scoria makes her suggestion, he offers "The Sheriff has set us to this task, and I'm certain we need not let him know we shall continue to search for the guilty parties." He turns to the priest, "Father, would you be so kind as to inform the Sheriff if he asks of our whereabouts, or if possessed of the personnel, send a runner to let him know where we have gone?"

@The wall

Thaddeus shakes his head at the woman's insistence that if she can't climb over the wall, they all cannot. "Why do we not first take stock of what we have available to conquer the wall. If at least one of us can make it to the top, it will be much easier to find where the trail exists on the other side. Walking all the way around poses a risk of not being exactly where we should look to pick it back up." With that said, he puts away his weapon and tries to get a good grip and foothold, and subsequently finds no purchase. Before stopping, dusting off his hands, interlocking his fingers and asking, "Anyone more skilled at climbing than I care for a lifting hand?"

Climb 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 38 | AC: 16 (11 T / 15 FF) -or- 18 w/shield (17 FF) | F/R/W +6/+2/+3 (+1 vs fear, +2 vs evil) | CMD 18 | Ini +1 | Prcptn +4

"I've got a lengthy coil of rope in my pack if someone's able to easily get over the wall. Try again Scoria. No need to rush it though."

Bel'Tanis will Take 10 in aiding Scoria if she tries again. If Thaddeus does the same and Scoria takes 10 too, that'd give her a 17.


Male Half Elf Magus / level 3 (AC: 15 [T:12 F: 13] [HP: 18/18] Fort: +3 Ref: +3 Will +2 Perc: +4 Init: +2)

Notick scratches his brow, shaking his head once again, thinking the answer obvious. "Why do we not just drape the rope over the wall to mark it's location... Go around, and reclaim the rope and start from there?..."


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric of Gorum (Separatist) 4 / HP 38 of 38 / F+6 R+3 W+7 / AC 19.12.17 / Init. +2 / Perc +4

Khrondak accepts the robe respectfully, acknowledging Thaddeus' effort to adress him in his native tongue.

Shoanti:
"Since no one has claims on it, it belongs to us all as spoils of battle. I will hold it, but you shall have it in the morning."

The shoanti approaches the wall while the others discuss and, running his hand over the surface and watching its height, makes his own assessment of the situation. "Yes, climbing this wall seems beyond me. I'll go around with the Notick fellow, we'll meet you on the other side. It shouldn't be too hard to pick up the trail again." Worried about the tracking conditions and the possible delay in their investigation, Khrondak watches the skies for a few moments, heading out to the exit gates.

Survival to predict the weather: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


Female Human [Tian-Min] Bard-4: HP 26; AC15/T11/F+2/R+5/W+5/Init+1/Per+7

"I hope we're not too late."

She turns to the priest. "Father, do you want this known or kept secret?"


Dead Goblins, Dead Geckos
Thaddeus Pruitt wrote:

Reposting, it may be just me, but I don't see the post of mine DM-Valkur is responding to. I see his response twice instead.

Wow that was weird! Not sure what happened to your post. And to top it off mine double posted.


Dead Goblins, Dead Geckos

Climbing the wall is a DC 30, but climbing with a secured rope up the wall is a DC15.

Khrondak you look to the sky and to the earth to give you the signs of the weather. You predict the weather will be mild with little chance of rain for the next two days.
Clear weather for two days.

Father Zantus and Naffer watch the party attempt to climb the cemetery wall. Then watch Notick and Khrondak head north to the town gate.

Father Zantus turns to Midori,"Yes, Midori I think we should keep this quite from the townsfolk, they have dealt with a lot the last day." "I think the Sheriff would agree."

"Once we find the culprits we can tell everybody what happened, no use panicking everybody."

"Yes of course Thaddeus, I will send a runner to Hemlock to tell him what transpired." And tell him you are investigating the matter."

"Naffer, run and tell the Sheriff, tell him to send more men as well."

"Aye Cap'n, I be shovin' off 'er."
With that Naffer hobbles off to the south.


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 38 | AC: 16 (11 T / 15 FF) -or- 18 w/shield (17 FF) | F/R/W +6/+2/+3 (+1 vs fear, +2 vs evil) | CMD 18 | Ini +1 | Prcptn +4

Whoa! DC 30! Nevermind then =\

Bel'Tanis shrugs, "A fine idea, Notick." He tosses the rope over the wall so it hangs on both sides, effectively marking the spot where they expect to pick up the trail. He claps Thaddeus on the shoulder, "Let's find these grave-robbers, shall we?" He falls in with the group as they begin heading toward the gate.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric of Gorum (Separatist) 4 / HP 38 of 38 / F+6 R+3 W+7 / AC 19.12.17 / Init. +2 / Perc +4

Reaching the exit, Khrondak unties his horse and mounts it, riding slowly along the outer wall to allow the others to keep up with his pace.


Dead Goblins, Dead Geckos

Party
You reach the other side of the wall where the rope hangs. This area is lightly wooded, no goblins seem to be about.

Perception:

Thaddeus1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14
Bel'Tanis1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Khrondak1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Notick1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Midori1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Scoria1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

As everybody searches the area for clues. Midori finds a 15' tall ladder buried in some brush nearby. Thaddeus is able to find a cluster of tracks from the grave robbers near the wall.


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 38 | AC: 16 (11 T / 15 FF) -or- 18 w/shield (17 FF) | F/R/W +6/+2/+3 (+1 vs fear, +2 vs evil) | CMD 18 | Ini +1 | Prcptn +4

Bel'Tanis coils up his rope as the others search about the area. At the discovery of the ladder he remarks, "Ah, so that's how they did it. I'm beginning to suspect that the goblin attack was actually a diversion for these well prepared grave robbers."


Male Human Whiteblade Magus of Iomedae 4 (AC: 14 (18 w/shield) [T: 10 FF: 14 (18)] | HP: 34/34 | F+5, R+0, W+4 | Init: +2 |Perc: +0/+2 with blade drawn)

Thaddeus nods in agreement, but there is an obvious look of confusion on his face "This only begs the question, what do goblins want with the body of a priest? They robbed a grave of no monetary value, and lost many of their own to do as much. There is neither rhyme nor reason to do such a thing." As he talks through it, he notices the tracks, "Over here! It looks like signs of their passage. Is everyone prepared to see how far we can follow these?"


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 38 | AC: 16 (11 T / 15 FF) -or- 18 w/shield (17 FF) | F/R/W +6/+2/+3 (+1 vs fear, +2 vs evil) | CMD 18 | Ini +1 | Prcptn +4

"I think the goblins are likely a tool for whomever these humanoid tracks belong to. And I think they are the ones who wanted Tobyn's body, not the goblins themselves. Ah! Excellent work, Thaddeus. I'm ready to follow these tracks if the rest of you are."


Dead Goblins, Dead Geckos

It is a trained Survival DC13 to follow the tracks at half speed. Khrondak has Survival at +8. He could take 10 and be able to track them. Or he could even take 10 to track them at normal movement speed at DC18.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric of Gorum (Separatist) 4 / HP 38 of 38 / F+6 R+3 W+7 / AC 19.12.17 / Init. +2 / Perc +4

Taking 10 on Survival check to track at normal speed

Khrondak dismounts and starts observing the tracks. Without explaining much, he simply states "Follow me" as he starts going after the goblin's trail, pulling the horse by the reins.


Female Human [Tian-Min] Bard-4: HP 26; AC15/T11/F+2/R+5/W+5/Init+1/Per+7

Midori will cautiously follow the tracking expert.


Dead Goblins, Dead Geckos

Assuming everybody is following Khrondak

You track the goblin tracks through the lightly forested hills of the Ravenroost and into the deeper woods of the Tickwood. You have stayed south and parallel with the Lost Coast Road and the coastline. After about a two and a half hour march, you cross the road and enter the wood known as the Nettlewood. Which is a thick dark forest, overgrown with nettles and briar patches. A short way into the wood in you reach the Thistle River where the goblin tracks end. The river is moving moderate fast and is roughly 40' wide.

Travel Time: 3 Hours
Distance from Sandpoint: 5 miles


Male Half Elf Magus / level 3 (AC: 15 [T:12 F: 13] [HP: 18/18] Fort: +3 Ref: +3 Will +2 Perc: +4 Init: +2)

Notick follows the bald and barbaric looking man as he leads the way, following the tracks. Most of the trip he holds his hands up, fingers interlocked, and resting upon his head. His eyes wander around the area's they're moving through, looking on with wonderment.

He speaks aloud, not really to anyone, but hoping for conversation to strike up. "I really wonder what is going on. None of this really makes any sense...!"

When they arrive at the River, looking upon it stoically, realizing the loss of any tracks with the water. His hands fall from his head, hands slapping at his sides as he kicks some dirt, "Damn!" he says as the reality of the situation as it unfolds in his thoughts.


Female Oread Monk of the Sacred Mountain 4 (AC: 16 (20) [T: 15 F: 14] HP: 38/38 Fort: +7 Ref: +7 Will +8 Perc: +10 Init: +2)

Following the Shoanti just seemed like good common sense to the stone monk, seeing as he was a decent enough tracker. She keeps far enough away from his steed, however - she was not a fan of large animals of any kind.

Neither was she a fan of deep waters. Looking at the fast moving river and the end of the trail that they were following, she wondered if they would head back or if everyone would attempt to traverse the depths. Scoria was not a particularly strong swimmer - her denser body made her less likely to float and more likely to sink like a stone.

"We should find a bridge. Or somewhere the waters are not as deep," She suggests.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric of Gorum (Separatist) 4 / HP 38 of 38 / F+6 R+3 W+7 / AC 19.12.17 / Init. +2 / Perc +4

"Maybe they had a boat," Khrondak ponders looking for more signs, "or did they just go straight through the river...?"

Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

"Do any of you know this wilderness and how deep is the riverbed?", he asks, looking into the distance trying to spot a bridge as suggested by Scoria.

Perception to see if there's a practical way to cross: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15


Dead Goblins, Dead Geckos

Khrondak you study the river, while it is moving fast, it is not overly deep it appears. Also you do not see any sign of a boat on the opposite bank.

The water is around 8' feet deep in this area. A Swim DC13 to swim across.

Knowledge (Local):

Thaddeus: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Notick: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Notick and Thaddeus you both recall Sandpoint locals mentioning that the Lost Coast Road has a bridge over the Thistle River.


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 38 | AC: 16 (11 T / 15 FF) -or- 18 w/shield (17 FF) | F/R/W +6/+2/+3 (+1 vs fear, +2 vs evil) | CMD 18 | Ini +1 | Prcptn +4

"I'm a strong swimmer. I could swim across with one end of the rope while someone else held an end over here. That might make it easier for everyone to cross if we want to stay on top of the trail."


Male Human Whiteblade Magus of Iomedae 4 (AC: 14 (18 w/shield) [T: 10 FF: 14 (18)] | HP: 34/34 | F+5, R+0, W+4 | Init: +2 |Perc: +0/+2 with blade drawn)

"I would not be opposed to securing a rope across at this point to maintain continuity of where the trail had ceased. Or we could have one, or a few, of us stay as the others take the local bridge to come back and find the rough spot on the opposite bank. I will admit, I am quite partial to Bel'Tanis' plan." Thaddeus offers.


Dead Goblins, Dead Geckos

The bridge is about 1/4 of a mile upstream.


Male Half Elf Magus / level 3 (AC: 15 [T:12 F: 13] [HP: 18/18] Fort: +3 Ref: +3 Will +2 Perc: +4 Init: +2)

"Not a bad plan at all, however a waist of effort. There is a bridge but a quarter mile upstream - not very far at all. Best not to wear ourselves out. We wouldn't want to be exhausted if we are to face more undead" the half elf reasons aloud.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric of Gorum (Separatist) 4 / HP 38 of 38 / F+6 R+3 W+7 / AC 19.12.17 / Init. +2 / Perc +4

"Considering we have a horse to cross, I prefer Notick's plan."


Female Oread Monk of the Sacred Mountain 4 (AC: 16 (20) [T: 15 F: 14] HP: 38/38 Fort: +7 Ref: +7 Will +8 Perc: +10 Init: +2)

Scoria doesn't bother with debating the issue any further, after hearing Notick's knowledge. She turns upstream and starts walking, wanting to cross the river without actually stepping into the waters. Whether or not anyone else agreed with it did not concern her at all. So long as there was an option where she did not have to swim, this would be the choice she would choose to go forward.


Male Half Elf Magus / level 3 (AC: 15 [T:12 F: 13] [HP: 18/18] Fort: +3 Ref: +3 Will +2 Perc: +4 Init: +2)

Notick, in his usual stoic nature, cocked an eyebrow towards the stone woman and turned heels to follow her. "I do believe she has decided the path for us."


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 38 | AC: 16 (11 T / 15 FF) -or- 18 w/shield (17 FF) | F/R/W +6/+2/+3 (+1 vs fear, +2 vs evil) | CMD 18 | Ini +1 | Prcptn +4

"Indeed she has." Bel'Tanis shrugs and follows along after Notick.


Female Human [Tian-Min] Bard-4: HP 26; AC15/T11/F+2/R+5/W+5/Init+1/Per+7

Midori follows the stone woman, amused by her directness.


Dead Goblins, Dead Geckos

Party

You are able to walk upstream and cross the bridge with out incident. You again make your way downstream on the opposite bank where the goblin tracks had stopped. You begin to scour the area for goblin tracks on this side of the river.

Perception:

Thaddeus1d20 + 0 ⇒ (20) + 0 = 20
Bel'Tanis1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Khrondak1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Notick1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Midori1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Scoria1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Everybody finds the tacks but Notick.

After a few minutes of searching in the bright midday sun several of you are able to find where the goblins trail restarts. Apparently they are making no attempt at hiding their tracks.


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 38 | AC: 16 (11 T / 15 FF) -or- 18 w/shield (17 FF) | F/R/W +6/+2/+3 (+1 vs fear, +2 vs evil) | CMD 18 | Ini +1 | Prcptn +4

"Ah! Here they are, I think. Iron Forged, is this the same trail? It seems to be going in the same direction, but I've never been much of a woodsman."


Dead Goblins, Dead Geckos

It is indeed the same trail.

Khrondak will be able to take 10 to continue tracking.


Dead Goblins, Dead Geckos

Continue on the trail?


Female Oread Monk of the Sacred Mountain 4 (AC: 16 (20) [T: 15 F: 14] HP: 38/38 Fort: +7 Ref: +7 Will +8 Perc: +10 Init: +2)

I would assume everyone follows the trail by Khrondak's lead.


Female Human [Tian-Min] Bard-4: HP 26; AC15/T11/F+2/R+5/W+5/Init+1/Per+7

Midori continues to follow Khrondak as well.


Male Half Elf Magus / level 3 (AC: 15 [T:12 F: 13] [HP: 18/18] Fort: +3 Ref: +3 Will +2 Perc: +4 Init: +2)

Notick... Also follows.


Dead Goblins, Dead Geckos

You follow the tracks for another half mile through the maze of dense thickets. In the background you can faintly hear the the ocean nearby.

The tracks seem to disappear directly into a thicket directly in front of you.

The thicket in front of you is nearly twenty feet high and covered in sharp briars.

Perception:

Thaddeus1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9
Bel'Tanis1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Khrondak1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Notick1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Midori1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Scoria1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Bel'Tanis, Notick, Midori and Scori all notice a small concealed door made out of wood and briars, directly in front of where the tracks end.

The door is about 4' high. At A3 on the map.

Map
Thistle Door


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 38 | AC: 16 (11 T / 15 FF) -or- 18 w/shield (17 FF) | F/R/W +6/+2/+3 (+1 vs fear, +2 vs evil) | CMD 18 | Ini +1 | Prcptn +4

"If they have a front door," the aasimar whispers after pointing it out, "perhaps we should see if there's another way through the thicket nearby? If this is the thieves' front door, I'd rather not walk right through it unless we've no other real option."


Female Oread Monk of the Sacred Mountain 4 (AC: 16 (20) [T: 15 F: 14] HP: 38/38 Fort: +7 Ref: +7 Will +8 Perc: +10 Init: +2)

Scoria nods to Bel'Tanis, before starting to scout around the thicket on her own, searching for any additional entrances to this place.

Moving to E 14, then. Perception check to see if she can find any other entrance.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


Dead Goblins, Dead Geckos

Scoria you see no signs of another entrance in the area you are searching. While the thicket is dense one could crash though it or even hack a path with a blade. However one would risk injury from going through it.


Male Half Elf Magus / level 3 (AC: 15 [T:12 F: 13] [HP: 18/18] Fort: +3 Ref: +3 Will +2 Perc: +4 Init: +2)

Noticing the door himself, he looks at the outline to gauge how large of an opening it would make. After thinking for some time as the Stone Woman searches the area for another way in, and coming short, he suggests "Perhaps we should just knock and see what happens?"


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 38 | AC: 16 (11 T / 15 FF) -or- 18 w/shield (17 FF) | F/R/W +6/+2/+3 (+1 vs fear, +2 vs evil) | CMD 18 | Ini +1 | Prcptn +4

Bel'Tanis absentmindedly massages the palm of his left hand with his right as he considers Notick's suggestion. After a brief pause he answers quietly, "That would be the civilized way to announce ourselves certainly, but these little imps are grave robbers and we're not here asking to borrow some flour. I'd rather we saw them before they knew we were about." His tone is warm and respectful, if a little somber as he finishes.


Male Half Elf Magus / level 3 (AC: 15 [T:12 F: 13] [HP: 18/18] Fort: +3 Ref: +3 Will +2 Perc: +4 Init: +2)

"I do believe you took my suggestion a bit too literally. But, none the less, I agree." He pauses for a moment before continuing, "I'm assuming the human sized tracks stop at the door as well?" He asks towards Iron Forged.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric of Gorum (Separatist) 4 / HP 38 of 38 / F+6 R+3 W+7 / AC 19.12.17 / Init. +2 / Perc +4

Survival to quickly study the tracks: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11


Dead Goblins, Dead Geckos

Yes the human tracks stop at the door.
Also a clarification the thicket is impassable, one would have chop through it.


Female Oread Monk of the Sacred Mountain 4 (AC: 16 (20) [T: 15 F: 14] HP: 38/38 Fort: +7 Ref: +7 Will +8 Perc: +10 Init: +2)

Scoria returns to the door after scouting around, looking at the others. "No other way. No safer way, at least. It would cause too much noise to hack through the thicket." She declares to the group. "I am opening the door now, with no further objections."

If absolutely no one tries to stop her, Scoria slams her foot on the door to kick it in.

Strength Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14


Baseline Stats:
Max HP: 38 | AC: 16 (11 T / 15 FF) -or- 18 w/shield (17 FF) | F/R/W +6/+2/+3 (+1 vs fear, +2 vs evil) | CMD 18 | Ini +1 | Prcptn +4

Bel'Tanis sees Scoria stretching back for a kick and lightly grabs her shoulder. "Let's see if it's even secured first, shall we? If it will open quietly on its own, that's certainly preferable to the noise kicking it open would make."

If she relents, Bel'Tanis will attempt to open the door via conventional means.

301 to 350 of 2,458 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Valkur's Rise of the Runelords Campagin All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.