Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Valgrymr's Homebrew.

Game Master Valegrim

Lost in the Winter wild with hordes of ghouls, gnolls and Giant Kin on a rampage joined by other agents of chaos. Band of Northmen freedom fighters seek to survive and save their clans.


201 to 250 of 6,952 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

For those of you with Heraldy and diplomacy and like skills; as a Margrave, Baelinor has the rank of prince of the marches which contains fortifications and an army capable of fending off a major invasion; the power of the title is just under a Duke which is the the kings brothers; Margraves are the most powerful of Counts which are almost always closely related to the King; such as close cousins or in Baelinor's case; an adopted son. Formal address would be Most Noble or His Honorable Lordship (not just lord) or Puissuant Prince (probably spelled that wrong).

Fyi if your interested.


To Rama;

"Ah perhaps I have been gone too long, twas not many years ago by dwarven standards, did I vie for the right to be called a paladin myself in the very city from whence you come. I still have quite a few fond memories of my time there, I would hope the story of the crazy dwarf still makes an appearance every so often." He smiles at you then looks out into the group as the elf steps forward.

"It seems this will have to wait." He nods toward the approaching elf.

After ThoronHen makes his presentation;

In elvish he whispers as he takes the box from your hand;

"ThoronHen, as you are an elf I am sure you do not understand the dwarven and human differences, so please note that I am not a -Sir- but rather long list of other titles, my secular address in elven would be --Most Noble-- while my religious address would be --Your Grace--, in formal situations please use either." He smiles in a friendly fashion.

He opens up the box and pulls out the letter, at first you see he frowns as he is studying the paper. Then quite unexpectedly it turns into a wide grin.

"Well this is turning out to be quite an amazing day or even a most blessed day. I do believe the gods are beginning to move, and quite rapidly at that." He grins broadly. "And even honoring me with with being their instrument of deliverance. Thank you very much for bringing this to me ThoronHen. Though evil pollutes the world to its core, there still remains the spark of goodness that creates hope where before all may seem lost. Tis the mark of friendship and the strength of faith in all good people that will shatter the grip of evil and cleanse the world. Aye today is turning out to be the beginning of a momentous day. Isn't it Herald?" The remark goes unanswered, at least as far as anyone can tell. Those watching Baelinor notice that he is very nearly glowing in excitement as he is suddenly sightly and his thoughts are obviously on something other than the present company. In just under a minute the ladies suddenly back off and Baelinor leaps up as if to make off on some grand adventure. The choir of women admonish him and he suddenly appears to take notice of everyone again. As he goes to sit down his focus comes to that of the dwarf. He stops midway between standing and sitting, then thumps down with a surprised look on his face.

"What is this? That armor...Priest.. of Moradin, please, come closer and let me have a look at that armor." As he finally sits back down. “My, my, my if I am right about that its truly a day I shall remember for quite a long time. Please ThoronHen, while this matter is of utmost importance, the ladies shant let me leave until they are finished and I do believe the Priest is here for a purpose as well, for he bears a mark it has been quite some time I have seen. So if you will wait with us, I shall speak more on this subject momentarily.”


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter

Most welcome Your Grace bow slightly at the clerical accompleshment I will awate your responce and or further orders.


Male Human Rogue 2/ Fighter 3
Caran Lith Draug wrote:


"The oracle we seek is in the hills near the ocean; near Delphi. Between here and there is an abandoned city. There will be great danger in this, and we may face some of the ghouls. Perhaps we can learn more of your group along the way?"
I do not know the time it will take to get there - Val?

Taking the reminder of his loses with stride Gaius says "Perhaps we could learn the final fate of my company but that would require us to travel by road and I fear that is the more treacherous of the to paths presented to us. No it would be safer for us to travel though the wild and I imagine that would be your preference.


F Elf Druid 5th
Gaius Nepos wrote:


Taking the reminder of his loses with stride Gaius says "Perhaps we could learn the final fate of my company but that would require us to travel by road and I fear that is the more treacherous of the to paths presented to us. No it would be safer for us to travel though the wild and I imagine that would be your preference.

I look over Gaius for signs of fatigue or distress from his prior wounds; I only have to think momentarily before deciding... Caran says "True enough, I will likely always prefer wilderness travel. We should easily make it to the oracle in 3 or 4 days time, but do not hesitate to tell me if we need to take pause."

We will take the slow path of the wilderness. My wolf and I will take lead, she in front of me only when need be, otherwise, I would like to keep her by my side.

Caran says "Eruanna and I will find the paths through. Follow close, but keep vigilant. Do you have enough food and water for a few days travel?"

I spend time each morning in prayer before we head out as the sun is rising... and I try to clear the signs of our camp and leave each area as close to it was before we leave them. If I find safe/edible plant life, I only take from the abundance or overgrowth to help keep things in balance. (These are things anyone who observes me would notice.) I have more than enough rations for the trip, but would like to replenish supplies of water when possible so we do not run out... and though I would not spend much time gathering, I would spend some time as we go to collect some fresh foods (maybe 15 min here or there).


VALEGRIM wrote:
"Ah perhaps I have been gone too long, twas not many years ago by dwarven standards, did I vie for the right to be called a paladin myself in the very city from whence you come. I still have quite a few fond memories of my time there, I would hope the story of the crazy dwarf still makes an appearance every so often." He smiles at you then looks out into the group as the elf steps forward.

It does, milord. Though I am surprised that the story originated from you.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Caius and Caran head out across the broken terrain of grass, large rocks and hills sprinkled with bushes and scrub trees; the wolf is nervous and a bit skiddish as evry now and again you see bits of rusted armor and humanoid bones from long past battles sticking up from the dirt and grass. While traveling you see burned and smashed bit of siege weapons that were once massive engines slowly rotting, returning to the earth.

While walking you pass evidence of large packs of dogs or hyenas or some type of thing like that having passed this way days back; every once in a while you see the giant frame of a giant or collosal skeleton in the distance; all signs of a war that has stretched on for over a decade laying waste to all creatures.

bitter and sad thought always about; melancholy; but true to your purpose you travel on. Several times you pass small streams and may refill your water supplies though the water may not be so pure; many small animals like rabbits and other rodents and their predators abound; but, nary a sign of intelligent like has been seen this first day be that good or ill.

the day was fairly uneventful; you traveled maybe 25 miles since sunrise in a south by southwest direction. Will you stop for the night or travel on? the wind starts to pick up and it gets a bit cooler; their are many hills with rocks or trees; little grotto's and ditches and depressions to stay in within a short distance; you seem to be up on a bluff that by mid day tomorrow should drop down to a bit lower elevation.

Caran suspect that perhaps rain by 9pm that could turn into a nasty storm by midnight; but will probably clear by dawn or soon after; but travel tomorrow will be muddy and difficult.

What do you guys do; camp; go on; make a refuge? both sleep; one watch; both stay up; let the wolf do it; please relate your actions and preparations, thanks.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

<gm keeping story progress, we can back up if it is a problem> Baelinor beckons Erkholt forward, Erkholt comes forward and salutes as he would to any dwarven prince. Baelinor points to the armorers sigil on Erkholts armor; a misty look upon his face.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

The box contained a letter; written on vellum in a very fine hand written in the language of the Roman court. It is several pages long with diagrams; also are contained some rubbing of symbols that are much like Egyptian, but not.

The letters themselves contain divine energy (magic) for those who can sense such things.


Rama wrote:


It does, milord. Though I am surprised that the story originated from you.

Baelinor winks at Rama. "Tis probably more exagerated than truth, never the less a dwarf in human lands determined to become a Paladin was something even the high clergy had difficulty dealing with. What is more, when it comes down to it, I am very lacking in the skills of horsemanship, chariots, lances and swords...I believe some of the instructors invented new words for my ineptness and no doubt thank the gods for days when the most Holy Seker did accept me." Baelinor focuses on some past memory a hint of mirth in his features.


“Tell me Priest of Moradin, how come you by this armor? It bears the mark of none other than my cousin Arak Anvilfist son of Toruak brother in marriage to my own father Throngard Stormwall of Iron Granite Hold, armor smith to ruling family and, I might add, a good friend of the Holds leader, Tharnfist HoldHammer. Long did we toil together learning the ways of dwarven armor craft. It has been a quarter of the century that I have been away tending my priestly duties. Do you know how fairs Arak and the hold?”


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

uhm; guys; FYI; Baelinor is not me; is a guy who played this character up from level one; as stated before; several of the sit across the room guys will have characters stopping by to add color and insight to the game as well as their character's spin and things as well as prejudices, priorities and whatnot; enjoy :) Other characters who you have seen stop by and may stop into say hello and add flair are: Balfic Graa the half orc; Fystor the human mage; Cera the elven ranger; Lorm the monk/wizard; Kojan the dwarf cleric of Dumathion an others. Each of these are RL players who are interested in how the pbp goes and the game to some degree or another.

so; this is to say that Baelinor will be answering things to him and you can keep this going without my intervention so even if I dont check posts say on Thursay; he will and keep things flowing.
___________

Rama wrote:
VALEGRIM wrote:
"Ah perhaps I have been gone too long, twas not many years ago by dwarven standards, did I vie for the right to be called a paladin myself in the very city from whence you come. I still have quite a few fond memories of my time there, I would hope the story of the crazy dwarf still makes an appearance every so often." He smiles at you then looks out into the group as the elf steps forward.

It does, milord. Though I am surprised that the story originated from you.


F Elf Druid 5th

"This may be a good time to stop for the night, a storm seems to be looming close and will likely get worse through the night. Tomorrow's travels will be more difficult because of it, so being rested will help."

I look to find the safest place to stay out of the rain but is clear of animals or dangerous plant life.

Spoiler:
Spot 31 = Roll of 16 plus skill 15 = 8 + 3 + 4
Survival 32/34 = Roll of 19 plus skill 13/15 = 8 + 3 + 2 + 2 (aboveground natural)
Listen 26 = Roll of 11 plus skill 15 = 8 + 3 + 4
Knowledge Nature 35 = roll of 19 plus skill 16 = 8 + 4 + 4
Handle Animal 27 = roll of 16 plus skill 11 = 8 + 3

“We should take turns resting and keeping watch. As I pray in the mornings, I would prefer to take second watch, would you be ok with that?”


Male Human Rogue 2/ Fighter 3
Caran Lith Draug wrote:
"Eruanna and I will find the paths through. Follow close, but keep vigilant. Do you have enough food and water for a few days travel?"

"Yes I have more then enough provisions for this journey" says Gaius.

Valegrim wrote:

Caius and Caran head out across the broken terrain of grass, large rocks and hills sprinkled with bushes and scrub trees; the wolf is nervous and a bit skiddish as evry now and again you see bits of rusted armor and humanoid bones from long past battles sticking up from the dirt and grass. While traveling you see burned and smashed bit of siege weapons that were once massive engines slowly rotting, returning to the earth.

While walking you pass evidence of large packs of dogs or hyenas or some type of thing like that having passed this way days back; every once in a while you see the giant frame of a giant or collosal skeleton in the distance; all signs of a war that has stretched on for over a decade laying waste to all creatures.

bitter and sad thought always about; melancholy; but true to your purpose you travel on. Several times you pass small streams and may refill your water supplies though the water may not be so pure; many small animals like rabbits and other rodents and their predators abound; but, nary a sign of intelligent like has been seen this first day be that good or ill.

As they travel taking in the sights of the country side Gaius thinks to himself What would this land be like if it wasn't ravaged by war. How would the people live. Perhaps the company would still be alive and ... then he says aloud as much to his traveling companion as to himself "How did it come to this perhaps the gods have forsaken us?"

Caran Lith Draug wrote:

"This may be a good time to stop for the night, a storm seems to be looming close and will likely get worse through the night. Tomorrow's travels will be more difficult because of it, so being rested will help."

I look to find the safest place to stay out of the rain but is clear of animals or dangerous plant life.
** spoiler omitted **

“We should take turns resting and keeping watch. As I pray in the mornings, I would prefer to take second watch, would you be ok with that?”

"This would be fine." Gaius says and begins to look for a place to start a fire.


Male Dwarf Cleric 6 (Earth and Protection Domain)
Baelinor wrote:
“Tell me Priest of Moradin, how come you by this armor? It bears the mark of none other than my cousin Arak Anvilfist son of Toruak brother in marriage to my own father Throngard Stormwall of Iron Granite Hold, armor smith to ruling family and, I might add, a good friend of the Holds leader, Tharnfist HoldHammer. Long did we toil together learning the ways of dwarven armor craft. It has been a quarter of the century that I have been away tending my priestly duties. Do you know how fairs Arak and the hold?”

I bow low and respond "Most Noble Baelinor, I regret to inform you that my clanhold was destroyed some three years ago by the Gnoll armies of Lord Ubel. Many months did we fight to hold back the tide but to no avail. That foul son of a demons spawn had forced the Blooddrenched gauntlet Orcs to serve with him, and we could not hold against such numbers." There is a quiet resolve in my voice as I speak these words, you'll also note the more formalised language I use with such an honoured dwarf.

"Most Noble lord, the armour was gifted to me by my father on his death bed, after the battle of the Grellan Gate, where he took a mortal wound from a Hill Giants club. His charge to me was to find the means to restore our clan to its former glory. As a protector priest of Moradin, I prayed for guidance and these last years of travel have brought me here. I was tasked to speak to you by great Moradin himself aand his brother Dumethoin" with this I take out the green figure that was created for me by the Avatar of Dumethoin. "What know you of this man, Great Baelinor? How can I gather the power required to retake my clanhold and return clan HoldHammer to its former glory?"

I was flying blind a bit here sorry. I based my answers off the history provided by Vale and added some stuff for poetic license. Hope I haven't overstepped the mark. Cheers


Baelinor listens to the tale, his face displaying no emotion. When Erkholt finishes Baelinor’s face begins to show signs of anger, he seems to focus on something far away and the anger increases yet further. Similarly the temperature in the area begins to rapidly drop. All the northmen and women stop what they are doing, glance in his direction then begin moving away from him. Likewise the priestess of Isis and her company follow in the northmen’s footsteps. Some of the northmen will grab you and pull you with them if you do not appear to be moving away. By the time Baelinor stands up the cold in the region around him is far below zero any water in the air crystallizes and falls to the ground. The runes on his items begin to glow and those that have the ability to sense arcane or divine magic will automatically notice an incredible build up with him at the center. A single tear, frozen solid falls from his eye to strike the ground then slides along until it comes to rest.

Baelinor’s grip on his mace changes, so that the mace head is held straight down as if it were a staff. He turns towards the east and glares as if challenging something on the horizon. Then in a low voice in dwarven he speaks, each word in exact measure; “This…Will…Not…Be…Forgotten.” Then his mace strikes the ground as a judge would strike its gavel. The impact results in a tremendous sound sending out a shockwave along with ice in all directions. Even those in far away can feel the ground tremble (a balance check is in order, you may not take 10, DC is 25 if within 50 feet and goes down by 1 for each 10 feet out from there, you have 5 rounds of movement you can use so pick your distance, if you hurried to get farther away there is a +2 DC tacked on to the distance).

After the shaking and ice have settled down, everyone can clearly see a small impact crater at the sight where Baelinor stands radiating out from the spot his mace struck. From that point there are massive cracks in the ice and even the earth beneath. The trappings of the barbershop are flung over great distances or shattered into non recognizable pieces. Some people have fallen and are shaken but as far as you can tell without doing a closer check up no one is seriously injured. As you watch, you see the ice begins to reform, as if it is alive unto itself slowly at first then more rapidly closing its wounds until not a single spot of evidence of the impact is on the field.

Those sensitive to the gods will feel as if they had come under their direct scrutiny.

Rama, you would feel as if several of the Pantheon were paying attention and hear as if from far a way the cry of a hawk.

Erkholt, you will get the distinct impression Moradin responded “AND IT SHALL NOT” though no words were said.

ThoronHen, you too will get the impression someone is watching from over your shoulder, though if you look around you will see all attention on Baelinor and no one near by. It causes your hairs on the back of your neck to rise a little.

Baelinor will turn in the direction of the council of gods and nod. His features will become more relaxed though clearly he is still quite tense and the aura of magical power around him will subside. He then turns and looks directly at each of you. “Come, it is time we began.” He turns to the priestess of Isis. “And all shall be made apparent.” He sets off at a quick pace, quicker than a normal dwarf moves until he stands within arms reach of the lowest level of the pyramid. He then turns and waits for everyone to show up. His face strained and deeply serious, not a trace of the merriment from early can be seen.

“Before we enter I must make you aware. The times we live in are evil far beyond what most of you know. The enemy before us has power beyond the comprehension of any being in this universe. Even if all good beings of past and future were to stand together against the true enemy’s raw might, we would be but gnats to be swatted aside. Know this, to follow me into the temple is to set upon a path that will endanger your lives, your family and friends lives, your beliefs, your faiths, your sanity and even your soul. This path is not to be taken likely. If you follow, the enemy will become aware of you and none, not mortal nor immortal stands unchanged before its touch. None would fault you for setting your destiny on another path, even the gods will recognize the choice and not find fault with your decision. Once across this threshold there is no turning back. Head this warning well, weigh fully the consequences and make your choice.”

With that Baelinor will turn back to the pyramid and place his left hand upon it. A passage way will suddenly form as if the ice is pealing back from his palm. He will move in and surprisingly the priestess of Isis follows behind, her companions remaining outside. In a matter moments both seem to disappear though they did not seem to have time to walk the corridor.

Observing the passage way you will see that it is only wide enough for a single person and just tall enough for the humans to enter without striking their head. There is a light at the end though you can barely make it out. You would guess its coming from somewhere near the center of the pyramid. As far as one can tell, the passage seems to lead straight to the light though there appears to be a slope up and it is all made of ice. It is quite cold in here.

So, do you go up the icy path? If you do go up the path, how do you approach the obstacle, it will be very slippery with no apparent hand holds?


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter
Baelinor wrote:
Baelinor’s grip on his mace changes, so that the mace head is held straight down as if it were a staff. He turns towards the east and glares as if challenging something on the horizon. Then in a low voice in dwarven he speaks, each word in exact measure; “This…Will…Not…Be…Forgotten.” Then his mace strikes the ground as a judge would strike its gavel. The impact results in a tremendous sound sending out a shockwave along with ice in all directions. Even those in far away can feel the ground tremble (a balance check is in order, you may not take 10, DC is 25 if within 50 feet and goes down by 1 for each 10 feet out from there, you have 5 rounds of movement you can use so pick your distance, if you hurried to get farther away there is a +2 DC tacked on to the distance).

balance 4+12=16 I moved all 5 rounds away towards the pyramid to make sure my footing would stay stable frozen mud instead of the slicker partly frozen mud further away After Baelinor moves pass I follow seeing I am already under the scrutiny of the gods be it good or bad and will take careful steps into the tunnel.


Male Dwarf Cleric 6 (Earth and Protection Domain)

I pick myself up from the ground after the display of power has abated "Well then, I'm thinking someone's a might nervous about now if they know this dwarf is angered cos of them." A cheerful smile crosses my face as I consider Baelinor taking umbrage at the enemies of my clanhold.

I move to the entrance of the pyramid and stride confidently forward, wrapped in the faith of my god and determined to face whatever challenges are placed before me. Moradin protects those who are bold and just.

full plate armour and balance checks just don't gel. I rolled a natural 1 and there's no distance I can cover in 5 rounds that'll let me recover from that little baby hehehe.


ThoronHen wrote:


After Baelinor moves pass I follow seeing I am already under the scrutiny of the gods be it good or bad and will take careful steps into the tunnel.

You enter the passage way and begin making your way toward the light. In order to go up the passage way it eventually becomes necessary to use both hands on the wall and apply pressure. Even so, the going is difficult. Gradually the slope becomes steeper, the ice is smooth with no hand or foot holds and your feet and hands are beginning to feel the effects of the cold.

You will need to make a climbing roll to continue DC is 20 here, you also realize there is quite a ways to go and it will get more difficult. You will not be able to access anything in your pack since you need both hands to prevent yourself from sliding backwards. If you fail you will slide back down out of the tunnel. Make a balance DC 17 to slide down standing up. A tumbling check DC 17 to land safely if you fail the balance check. Failing that take 3pts damage from the fall and land unceremoniously on your behind at the passage way entrance. If someone wishes to aid him (I assume both the Rama and Erkholt are at the entrance calculating their own chances) roll a d20 a 10 or higher will give him a +2 on the tumbling roll.

If you decide to go back rather than forward you can make your way back without an incident.


Erkholt Grugn wrote:

I pick myself up from the ground after the display of power has abated "Well then, I'm thinking someone's a might nervous about now if they know this dwarf is angered cos of them." A cheerful smile crosses my face as I consider Baelinor taking umbrage at the enemies of my clanhold.

I move to the entrance of the pyramid and stride confidently forward, wrapped in the faith of my god and determined to face whatever challenges are placed before me. Moradin protects those who are bold and just.

full plate armour and balance checks just don't gel. I rolled a natural 1 and there's no distance I can cover in 5 rounds that'll let me recover from that little baby hehehe.

I know the feeling :)

You will observe what happens to ThoronHen and figure your chances of simply walking up will meet with less success. A glance in the direction of Rama and you see he is coming to a similar conclusion.

Perhaps Baelinor has just forgotten how difficult it is for others to traverse his icy domicile or perhaps he is testing your resolve or even putting you in a situation to work with this human and elf. In any case, it would appear that its going to take a bit more effort that just walking to get to the end of the passage way.

Rama: Similar thoughts cross your mind...it is not uncommon for a test of worthiness prior to undertakening some great task amongst the clergy of Osiris or others of that Pantheon...


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter
Baelinor wrote:

You enter the passage way and begin making your way toward the light. In order to go up the passage way it eventually becomes necessary to use both hands on the wall and apply pressure. Even so, the going is difficult. Gradually the slope becomes steeper, the ice is smooth with no hand or foot holds and your feet and hands are beginning to feel the effects of the cold.

You will need to make a climbing roll to continue DC is 20 here, you also realize there is quite a ways to go and it will get more difficult. You will not be able to access anything in your pack since you need both hands to prevent yourself from sliding backwards. If you fail you will slide back down out of the tunnel. Make a balance DC 17 to slide down standing up. A tumbling check DC 17 to land safely if you fail the balance check. Failing that take 3pts damage from the fall and land unceremoniously on your behind at the passage way entrance. If someone wishes to aid him (I assume both the Rama and Erkholt are at the entrance calculating their own chances) roll a d20 a 10 or higher will give him a +2 on the tumbling roll.

If you decide to go back rather than forward you can make your way back without an incident.

I back down to the entrance. Well unless any of you have any magical aid to have someone climb we are going to have some trouble. You two in plate and even I in my lighter shirt cant make it up with out some luck or a helping hand. I have 300' of rope to use with a grapple but I see no place to swing it to get up the chimney that might just even have an over hang to it. The 10 pitons I have can get me 30 ft up after some time. The height is hard to determine due to the light reflecting off of the ice, so they might not be enough. Unless on that mule you have some more we will need more help. Any suggestions from you two gentleman?


Male Dwarf Cleric 6 (Earth and Protection Domain)

"Well Elf, unfortunately I don't have any magic that can get us to the top of such a treacherous climb. However, maybe there is more here than it would first appear. It seemed as if Baelinor and the priestess vanished without havin ta walk the entire length of this here passage. Perhaps there is some illusion taking place or a secret passage we don't know of. Let's explore those options before we expend great reserves of strength tryin' ta climb an icewall with only pitons. Especially with me in me fathers plate armour"

With that I cast detect magic and begin to study the corridor for signs of any magical auras (particulalry of the transmutation or illusion kind I guess).

"Well Moradin, some guidance for yer humble servant would sure be appreciated about now" I say as I gaze around the passage with my magically enhanced vision.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Remember; you can always take a 10 and sometimes a twenty unless you dont want to or unless the situation is not appropriate; gm decision.

Erkholt Grugn wrote:

I pick myself up from the ground after the display of power has abated "Well then, I'm thinking someone's a might nervous about now if they know this dwarf is angered cos of them." A cheerful smile crosses my face as I consider Baelinor taking umbrage at the enemies of my clanhold.

I move to the entrance of the pyramid and stride confidently forward, wrapped in the faith of my god and determined to face whatever challenges are placed before me. Moradin protects those who are bold and just.

full plate armour and balance checks just don't gel. I rolled a natural 1 and there's no distance I can cover in 5 rounds that'll let me recover from that little baby hehehe.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

good going guys; this is to be your first challenge that will require teamwork.

About story stuff; you are free to add background stuff and stories and the like as you wish with generally no problem; just remember that what you put will BE true hehe unless I know it is deception of some sort.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Gaius and Caran,
The rain comes and goes; the storm is mostly gentle where you are only on the perifery; some lightening; about 2 hours of moderate rain. You have sheltered in some tall rocks and shrubs; you can see that many of the valleys fill up with flowing rivers; camping in the crevices and ditches would have been bad.

your night is a bit nervous in other ways also; things howl in the distance, bad things; wrong things; about 2am there is a small battle a couple miles to the east; the wind is blowing from that direction so you can hear metal on metal and snarls and unintelligable shouting sounds; little snippets on the wind so to speak.

In you morning, Caran you wolf has brought you three hares (hares are bit larger than rabbits but pretty much the same thing). You can see evidence that the wolf has already eaten two apparently.

Last nights storm is in the west; dark clouds that way; lots of lightening; it will take both of you a bit of time to clean your gear and dry things off as best you can; fresh water is easy to collect this morning for resupply.

Caran; as this is the second day; you have the second vision this morning.

Gauis; you can tell that something about Caran is very different having seen her pray several times while getting healed; Last morning something was different; posture; position; intensity; fear, sweat, greif; love; all these things in great intensity. (and any others you care to add Caran) Yesterday this episode lasted maybe a couple minutes; but today, it lasts about 15 minutes; Caran is completely unware of anything around her and unresponsive.

Afterwards; I imagine you guys set out; converse as you would; let me know if you take any special actions or safeguards.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

You may make a spellcraft and arcane lore roll if you wish to attempt to realize more details.

with detect magic; you can see after a few rounds of concentration in the tunnel; powerful conjuration aura; faint evocation aura. You would also see a very faint aura of enchantment on Thoronhen.

Erkholt Grugn wrote:

"Well Elf, unfortunately I don't have any magic that can get us to the top of such a treacherous climb. However, maybe there is more here than it would first appear. It seemed as if Baelinor and the priestess vanished without havin ta walk the entire length of this here passage. Perhaps there is some illusion taking place or a secret passage we don't know of. Let's explore those options before we expend great reserves of strength tryin' ta climb an icewall with only pitons. Especially with me in me fathers plate armour"

With that I cast detect magic and begin to study the corridor for signs of any magical auras (particulalry of the transmutation or illusion kind I guess).

"Well Moradin, some guidance for yer humble servant would sure be appreciated about now" I say as I gaze around the passage with my magically enhanced vision.


Male Human Rogue 2/ Fighter 3

Before leaving camp Gaius makes sure to remove all traces that they were there he scatters the fire wood and removers anything they may have used for extra cover from the rain.

While walking along the path he says to Caran . "Tell me, did you have another vision? What did you see?"


Male Dwarf Cleric 6 (Earth and Protection Domain)

"He, I knew he'd have some form o' magic here. Mind you it could just be this here pyramid o' his given off the aura's I'm seein. Give me a few seconds and I may know something more about it."

spellcraft [11,8] = (19). Rolled using invisible castle. Don't know how to put the link in. I haven't got ranks in knowledge arcana (more a battle cleric than a cloistered cleric). Hopefully this gives me some form of info. Cheers.


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter

Ok I will bide my time. My name is ThorenHen good sir I appreciate your efforts. And our silent companion here is called Rama he is from the Pharaoh's group. He has a whole train of humans with him there back along the trail. They might make it here by night fall.laughs under his breath at the attempt of humor. Then I lean against the doorway very much more relaxed now that the boxs contents have been delivered


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

The pyramid itself seems to be mostly evocation; the tunnel seems to be conjuration; you are guessing a gateway or teleport or reverse summons or such rather than a cloaking illusion. With all this ice involved; it probably isnt to hard to guess to where and how you might want to dress and gear up appropriately.
________________

Erkholt Grugn wrote:

"He, I knew he'd have some form o' magic here. Mind you it could just be this here pyramid o' his given off the aura's I'm seein. Give me a few seconds and I may know something more about it."

spellcraft [11,8] = (19). Rolled using invisible castle. Don't know how to put the link in. I haven't got ranks in knowledge arcana (more a battle cleric than a cloistered cleric). Hopefully this gives me some form of info. Cheers.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

also, as Baelinor is no longer standing there; it starts to get a bit warmer as the extremely frigid air dissappates; the great shattered wound in the ground and ice is still very apparent though.

****the question of the day; how will the pc's get up the tunnel; if magic fails; then ingenuity I guess; stay tuned lurkers and thread fans and we will all find out together****

<-- passes around drinks and snacks


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Several viking come to look at the hole and discuss things in thier strange tounge.


Male Dwarf Cleric 6 (Earth and Protection Domain)

Erkholt sighs as he lets go of the magical sight. He turns to the elf and nods a greeting.

"Well met ThoronHen. I am Erkholt Grugn, Protector Priest of Moradin and battle priest of Clan HoldenHammer. Thanks for yer patience while I studied the magic here. Apparently this tunnel leads to a very cold place (either a polar cap or another plane), so I'd be advisin you and the Egyptian here to get some warmer clothes."

He turns to the vikings standing near the doorway and asks "Do you lads have some ice climbing gear we're able to trade for. Some crampions (boot attatchments) or some icepicks. I have trade goods on my mule over yonder ifn' you boys are willing to help. Maybe some more of these Bear cloaks for my two companions as well"

"I'm thinking we're going to have to do this the hard way ThoronHen and Rama. I'm no stranger to climbing, but 'tis quite hard in all this metal. However I aint about to take off me dad's armour and leave it hear for the takin' (even if it is only done as a prank). If we can get these trade items, then climbing it is. If you lads have another plan then pipe up now as time's a waistin and I'm not sure how long this here tunnel will stay open"


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter

I agree, because of my lighter armor I would be wiling to go first with the proper equipment of coarse. I can then lower a rope to assist with both of your ascents.


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter
Valegrim wrote:
Several viking come to look at the hole and discuss things in thier strange tounge.

If it is in Valeaneese I can under stand it, listen 24=11+13


F Elf Druid 5th

I thank Eruanna for the food and quickly prepare it so that we can eat while on the move. I see that Gaius is also taking the measures to remove traces of us and smile as I too work at this.

Gaius Nepos wrote:

Before leaving camp Gaius makes sure to remove all traces that they were there he scatters the fire wood and removers anything they may have used for extra cover from the rain.

While walking along the path he says to Caran . "Tell me, did you have another vision? What did you see?"

"These visions are worrisome Gauis, something will need to be done, which is why I need the guidance of the Oracle."

I take a moment to try to put into words the intensity of the visions; "The visions are intense and foreboding. I feel as though I am taken into the heavens, moving through them as if I'm riding a great charoit across the sky to look upon on Mother Earth. She is a living person, a diety in her glory; but she is gravely wounded; great slashes and wounds can be seen from the heavens; gaping wounds that would kill any mortal; she is not healing; cannot heal; without help she and the earth will be wounded forever."

I briefly pause with a sad sigh then continue "Things are not as they should be, too dark, sickly; slithering tendrils of undeath draining life from everywhere it touches; people struggling for naught; the delicate balance upturned... chaos everywhere."

Shaking my head at the thoughts... but you can see a glimmer of hope in my eyes "The sun rises; shining and bright; holy and beautiful; it shines on mother earth and she is strengthened; slight respite; but the darkness of death and chaos are too much; the plants are being choked, they are dying; the trees and grass and all flora and fauna shout out in dismay. There is a beautiful face in the sun; glorious but vain; he is distressed by what he sees, he can help; but others, mortals upon the earth must act. The Sun weeps and sheds more light trying to blot out the undead and restore life to the plants but it cannot; they burrow from within. I could see differences in people; some people seem much clearer than others; they are the ones trying to help; noble houses and leaders of men who drive back the scourge of undeath. Beneath them the world rots, but they do not see it; something is killing the trees; something dark and reptilian; twisting; changing; warping..."

I trail off, you see tears staining my cheeks. "I fear that with each passing day things are getting worse. There has to be something we can do to stop this; bring balance back... the oracle will give us guidance on this... and I will need your help."


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

The vikings are increadulous about the whole; magic seems very unfamiliar to them.

The blonde, wirey guy who did the greetings earliers says; sure we have some furs and stuff, Baelinor said he'd have some guests that would need some cold winter gear and probably not know what they needed; so we got some bundles together for you a week or so back.

he whistles loudly; a couple guys in the camp; look up; he does some hand signals; they do some back; then about 4 guys come carrying some large bundles all wrapped in fur.

When they get there; there are several heavy fur cloaks; and long strips of leather raw hide as well as snow shoes and some leather waterskins. There is also about 50' of fairly green hemp rope in each bundle. Each also has a narrow pick with a fairly narrow ice axe on a 3ft handle that also has a spike in the bottom.

the blonde guy with the curly hairs then says: "kin any yous do some ice climbing; takes strength and balance; ice looks solid; if you have any ideas we might be able to help or not; hard to say.


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter

Thank you good sirs. I take one of the fur cloaks, ice axes, and a bit of the raw hide to make a harness out of. You to should make some quick harnesses so we can attach some rope to avoid a long fall. And if you dont mind please step back a bit ill get my climbing gear. Once everyone moves back enough I pull out my portable hole and open it up. I grab my 300' silk rope and the 10 pitons and the hammer that has a loop at its end. Then I close up the hole and tuck it back in an inner pocket of my vest. Ok I'll start by making some gashes in the ice where it starts to incline to stop any slides and then I'll start making steps up the wall until I cant reach any further then start the climb. With saying that I then start heading in. Tightening down my gloves as I am walking in and start doing what i said. Ok every 15 feet or so I am going to leave a piton to secure our selves with. Make sure that you have 2 ropes from your harness that is a little over 20 feet in length and secure your selves as you go up. Don't start till come back down I'll be the last man up to unsecure the person's before me tail rope when you get the next fasten. And that person will do the same for the person before him. This is going to take a while If you can please have something hot for me to eat ready in about 3 hours. I'll come back down at that point to rest and let you know of the progress. I then climb the steps I have already created up till i reach the end then I drive 2 pitons in and secure myself with 2 10 foot ropes and continue with the steps until I get to where the first of the pitons for the every 15 feet ones that are staying and then continue on up and drive the second. This should get me to the limit of the ropes that are securing me and I back down and take out those 2 pitons and climb back up to the top and securing my self to the last piton in the line and continue on up in this fashion till I reach the top, I run out of pitons, 3 hours have gone by, or some thing new happens.


Male Dwarf Cleric 6 (Earth and Protection Domain)

Erkholt looks at the elf before him with new levels of respect. "ThoroHen, I bow to your wisdom in this lad. I ha' no idea about half of what you just said, but if it means we can get up this here ice tunnel and into our meeting with Baelinor, then I'm good to follow your lead."

The dwarf thanks the Vikings for their help and also kits himself out from the gear they brought, ensuring the waterskin is filled before slinging it. He turns to the elf and says "If at some point things get a little hard I may be able to use a stone shape or soften earth spell to help us, but I'm nae sure it'll work with all this ice. Ifn this tunnel is pure ice then Moradin has no sway over that, as it's just water that aint acting right."

"When we get to the climbin, I can certainly belay you from this end once we start tyin' off, and with this here ice pick it may be easier to climb than before, however.." with this he turns to the Vikings "If Thoronhen makes it to the top of this here tunnel and we have sufficient rope, we could use you boys to help us in the climbin'. We sling it over a piton or two at the top and use it as a simple pully while you burly young lads pull us up the slope. We'd be wlaking and climbin' o course but you'll certainly be takin some o the burden of me i all me plate armour" He smiles broadly as he slaps his gloved hand against the ice rimed brestplate he wears.

"We could lower the rope again with a back pack as counter weight that the next person can bring to the top with them on their climb. Unfortunately Thoron, this still means you get to do all the hard work sorry lad, but you look and sound as if you're up to the challenge"

without arcane knowledge, do I have any idea if either stone shape or soften earth and stone will work on this tunnel? I'm assuming if the underlying structure is stone then I should be able to use stone shape to our advantage in building stairs of some type at the most difficult part.


Male Human Rogue 2/ Fighter 3
Caran Lith Draug wrote:
"I trail off, you see tears staining my cheeks. "I fear that with each passing day things are getting worse. There has to be something we can do to stop this; bring balance back... the oracle will give us guidance on this... and I will need your help."

Placing his hand on Caran's shoulder Gaius says. "Then let us find this oracle and bring bring this darkness to and end." Hoping to reassure and refocus her on the task at hand knowing that there is little they can do before finding the oracle.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

With the ropes and pitons and a lot of time the elf and dwarf, working together surpizingly well; begin to accend the tunnel.

Rama do you also equip and follow?

Note; earth spells do not affect ice.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Caran and Gaius,

with the minimal traces of the camp mostly erased (scent is still there as well as any spoor or urine that a track by scent thing like the wolf could use) the threesome continues on.

After about an hour and a half or somewhat difficult travel due to mud and with this hilly and rocky terrain slipping up and down and crossing ravines that have some flowing water causes delays; the party begins to see signs of the battle from last night.

strewn about are what looks like multiple skirmishes; or small group warfare as the broken terrain is not condusive to formations holding there unit cohesion.

bodies of ghouls, humans, gnolls, orcs and goblins are evident. the lay of the bodies is strange; seems like the orcs and goblins are fighting the gnolls and ghouls and the humans; the humans are also found fighting both groups but things are strange, but without tracking it would be difficult to determine more information.

what will you do at this point; check the bodies; some; all, a few; go through the battle area or skirt around it.

Note; there is much blood and gore; sure to attract....things. the smell of death and is heavy in the air; fetid smells. Also; you can see some scorch marks and wounds indicative of magic use on all sides.

At this point no one has approached very closely to any bodies; this can all be seen as distance less than 100 yards.


Valegrim wrote:

With the ropes and pitons and a lot of time the elf and dwarf, working together surpizingly well; begin to accend the tunnel.

Rama do you also equip and follow?

Note; earth spells do not affect ice.

Yes.

The things I do to ensure an alliance.

For Val, in case this needs a climb check

Spoiler:

"I'll go with you." Rama starts to unbuckle the straps of his armor.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD
Rama wrote:
Valegrim wrote:

With the ropes and pitons and a lot of time the elf and dwarf, working together surpizingly well; begin to accend the tunnel.

Rama do you also equip and follow?

Note; earth spells do not affect ice.

Yes.

The things I do to ensure an alliance.

For Val, in case this needs a climb check** spoiler omitted **


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

rama; you are provided with a bag large enough for your armor; and the offer of the same gear from the vikings.


"Thank you," Rama graciously accepts the offer.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

the adventurers in the Well of Life area; acend the bitterly cold tunnel. The deeper in the ice the group travels the colder it gets; ice froms from your breath and freezes to your beards and face; the rope doesnt realy change; but any metal becomes a bit slick and is very cold with an ice rime coating; the furs are unaffected and it is not yet cold enough to snape the metal pinions.

after traveling upwards at about a 45 degree angle for about 110 ft; about 15 foot ahead can be seens a swirling mist covering the tunnel passageway.

There is nothing but to go on or go back; resolute in determination the three press on into the mist.

tingling magical sensation penetrate you and each of you feels mometary disorientation.

then, you are in a room; a very large room of ice; it is obviously a holy area and temple; there are ice benches with furs on them and soft light is provided and both reflected and refracted about the room; the ice in the room is cut in a very orderly way; but also in such a way as to have beautiful order, bring peace; and joy from all the kalidoscopic light that appears in certain directions looks more beautiful and active than any static picture on a wall; at the rear of the room is a large tunnel to somewhere else; on walls around the temple are frescos of people doing activities; but without the stories behind them; the actions can only be guess; bestowing honors, battle; healing, teaching, things like that are fairly obvious while other are not.

This is a holy area; in front of the pews; of which there are about 10; is a raised area with chairs and an altar; there are holy depictions here and the radiance of some strange diety is very powerful. It feels Kind and Just; Benevolant, but Stern.

There is nothing upon the simple altar stone at this time; there are 4 ice stairs to ascend to the temple area; on these wide stairs can be seen what is presumably offerings of fruit; meat; beverage, crafted items and the like; though the place is made of ice; they dont look frozen or even particularly cold; as a matter of fact; in this room you dont feel uncomfortbly cold at all; your breath doesnt even mist and feeling comes back into your face and extremities.

Behind the altar is a open ice door and passageway; from this area you can hear the voices of the Priestess of Isis and the High Priest Baelinor.

the wisp you catch is

Priestess "I will tell them of course, my friend, but there was a need to the order of things that my disguise did fulfill, my task was not to deceive, but to protect; in this place all things will be made clear."

Baelinor: Very well, they are hear; let us begin in earnest now for this is a protected place and may speak without invasion of our minds; dreams, or even surface thoughts by our enemies; here none can overhear us.

Come Forth brave adventurers, you have chosen a hard path; but a needful one; join us.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

With you Indulgence, small nod to Baelinor; I will begin; says the Priestess.

<a ragged figure springs forth from behind Baelinors sheild (though it is resting next to him) and land right before the priestess just as she is about to open her mouth>


? Presumed Mongrelman Herald

Behold! Behold! One and Three the radiant and beautiful High Priestess of Isis called Amber; that stone created from the source of life itself; Behold she who has no last name for she serves Isis and no mortal. Behold the beloved of Dread Ronin, for she has charmed this Horseman of Death to her cause; Behold the Seeker of Life Personafied; Behold Amber; Holder of the Sacred Knowledge; Giver of Love and Fertility. Mother of the Great Quest.

Enter her presence in the eyes of her Goddess and tremble.

Harold then springs toward the sheild; rolling to a very small ragged ball, rolls behind the shield which quivers a bit; then remains still.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Well, she says; all true. I am she; second only to Pharoh who is the son of Ra.

I am pleased, she says, that you have chosen this difficult path; may its reward be equal in measure.

I have no other words than my blessing and defer to you Baelinor; she says with love and kindness.

201 to 250 of 6,952 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Valgrymr's Homebrew. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.