Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Valgrymr's Homebrew.

Game Master Valegrim

Lost in the Winter wild with hordes of ghouls, gnolls and Giant Kin on a rampage joined by other agents of chaos. Band of Northmen freedom fighters seek to survive and save their clans.


101 to 150 of 6,952 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Rama,
Assuming you move forward; if not we can back up as needed;

the headman will bow low to you and say; how may this humble servant serve you great one; we are poor and cannot feed or house those you have brought for they are too many; but you and your guard we could care for during the night; it is not safe to wander for snakes and devil stalk the night. The neckpiece seem to translate perfectly as far as you can tell; but you also get some idea of his emotions; he is afraid, but is compelled by duty.


Rama returns the bow of the headman but not as low. "Greetings to you and your house, headman. I am Rama, emissary of the Deific Pharaoh. By what name do you wish to be called?"

After getting the headman's name, Rama continues, "We understand your situation and not here to impose upon your hospiltality. We seek knowledge and enlightenment. What can you tell us about the ice pyramid and Balinor, the priest of seker who lives there?"


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

the elderly man says;
come Emmisary; I am ShirI Moto Furiyamma; come into our pavilion and share our drink and dinner; I will relate to you what I know; and some of what I have heard; but the truth of the matter is in question as I have not met him myself; nor has any of my village.

At this point, the elderly man motions you to follow and turns to walk back to the dinner place; being helped by a fierce looking warrior upon whom he rests; it is late and the gentleman appears to either be weiry or intoxicated; hard to tell which.

Please make a spot roll both Rama and Mits.

Rama, with you goes the priestess; the warrior woman; and three guards; several more guards follow; but stop every few feet on each side to make a path to and from the main Egyptian group to the dinner pavillion. Those with you assume your good will; they bring forth from the Egyption delegation many food and things for you to share as well creating a meal of larger size and wealth; At the pavillion; people shift; several who were once there leave; a place presumably of honor is given you at the table; only the fierce warrior (Mits) is between you and the old man on your right; the Priestess of Isis is on your left and the warrior woman behind both of you as well as your two guards. You hear some at the table mention that this is not a womans table; but the elderly man, they refer to as Shiri-san, (I dont remember the correct ending; san isnt it though as he is higher rank then them)and he says to be silent as she is abviously a noble or perhaps your wife and customs vary between people; they obviously do not wish to anger you or cause insult; and all appear sincerly appologetic.

as both your party and the Blestian begin to bring forth food and drink; a guard approaches with what appears to be elfs; elves are very uncommon in both Lenap (Eygpt) and Blest (Japan) and none of you have before seen one up close; but thoughts and stories of powerful magic, passion and fighting prowess come back to you about these one time masters of the entire world. The guard with them; tells the Headman that these elves offer no hostility; and ask to be guests and share food and shelter for the night; he appears very nervous and intimidated and his words tumble. The headman appears thoughtful and worried; whispers to himself; "bend like a blade of grass to the movement of powers greater than yourself; or be broken like the branches of an old tree during a storm; and what a storm that is coming"

he looks at you Rama; his expression blank or perhaps strained. He nods to the guard then addressed the Elves in Blestian; to our table and for a nights shelter you are welcome; come join us <a place at the table is made for the two pc elves> During this moment the Priestess of Isis does pray; she touches the neckpiece of Rama; and everyone withing 60 ft including the Elves during that prior comment; can now converse freely and be understood; each of you to some degree of your sensitiviy to magic; feel the power of her goddess wash over you for this small miracle.

food and drink is passed; you may all make introductions as would be proper; the headman will start and introduce the those at the table from his village; other than the Elven Mage and the Priestess; no other females are present at the table. The headman then turns to Mits; if it please you Lord Mitsuryuu; introduce yourself and your profession and mission that we may set a tone of understanding and that they follow suit that we may know them.

Mits, do you start?

Players - put in your introductions, dont wait for other posters; we will just assume they are in order; for game play it is not important; just assume that the order is the headman and his villagers as host; Lord Mits second as their ally; then Sir Rama and the Priestess - For the priestess of Isis; she will say this only in introduction. I ask your indulgance and forgiveness all of you; but at this time I am under a silence that I may not give my name or position; would you have me leave this table; She whom I serve bids me to be here; I would tell you ,but the danger of knowing this information is great and your lives would be threatened by this; I would hold from you this levy of danger lest it decend upon you as a flood and destroy your lives; tomorrow within the Ice Fortress of Balinor Stormwall will I make known all to those present. To the Elfs she gives a startling proclaimation; her ancient elven is as beautifly spoken as any human not born of Elfs could do; it is a greating heard much around the elven encampment by those who would fight the snakemen; she says a variation with a little prelude "Friends; times of old and a world long past returns upon us now; ancient allies of the grand elven emporors return; the lilth and deadly children of the plain and woodlands; the sturdy and enduring brothers of stone and earth; and we varied bands of humanity. Know you we live in times of Prophesy, know you that I stand for good and freedom agaist the powers of the dark depth of evi and carnage of our common cold blooded enemies of undeath and ophidian servants of Set. <here is the elven chat modified a bit> By my heart; all in my power; all in my spirit will I strive for thee my brothers; with my last breath will I lash with blade of steel or magic to bring to you my brothers a chance for freedom" she finishes; ancient is this chant; it calls deep in the the memory of your ancestors and all of you feel a stiring in the blood.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

It begins to rain, a gentle rain that comes each eve always threatening to torrent.


male Human fighter 2/monk 3

"I am called Mitsuryuu," Mitsuryuu says after a moment, his face composed and expressionless, "a swordsman. I traveled from Blest to fight the evils that seem to spring from the soil here on the mainland to poison all, including my homeland. I have been asked to seek a weapon of great power, lost long ago, in the hopes that it will aid in turning the tide of darkness that sweeps across the world."


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

on the edge of the lit clearing appear a 3ft tall shrouded figure that is hunched over; this arm is clasped around a human sized figured shrouded in darkness; the darkness seems to be coming from the smaller figure; guards at the edge of the compound shout; the smaller figure makes a gesture and both are gone; arrows peirce the ground where they once were. Suddenly both appear in the pavilion stepping out of the long shadow cast my one of the lights on one of the beams near the elderly headman; they are no longer cloaked in darkness under the light of the pavilion; the taller figure is an elf in wonderous chain shirt; wearing otherwise plain and rural traveling clothes; he has several daggers you see; and a nice crossbow strapped to his back; one of his arms is grasped by the shorter figure; his other tightly clasps as small but strong box with magical runes and other magical script. He appears to be startled.

the shorter figure is heavily cloaked; but beneath the cloak you see some unknown type of plate armor; those who can sense magic can tell that he radiates a lot of it; Rama; you can sense he is a creature of great faith; and a paladin of his deity. Your two auras do not fight each other. He is holding up and open, yet gauntleted hand; each of the figure tips form sharp claws; his voice is whispered and gravely; he says "I greet thee with open hand, I bring a gift from he whom the Red Blade follows"

Warrior are running this way; there is a bit of bedlam and confusion. The priestess of Isis; acts first as if she was prewarned; she stands and in a commanding voice says; "All Hold, Rama; intercede; I know of this creature; let no harm come to him. What would you have of us Ur-Vile? Is the Staff of Law threatend?" her tone is imperious. Rama, it would be appropriate to think she is more than just some random, unimportant priestess; none would ever speak in such a tone of absolute authority expecting to be obeyed.

the two elfs at the table and the newly arrived elf will give nods of greeting which says " I see you" as is their custom.

<gm to the two elfs> Ur-Viles are dark creatures from the depths of the earth; they are creatures of law and evil and very ancient; once enemies of elfs during the ancient elf war with the snakemen; when the war was over; these reptiles hid away in the depths of the earth; there are several kinds of Ur-Viles; this one defies all decription; you have never heard of anything like this one. Most are lowly creatures of vast numbers that the humans call kobolds; but this one is different.

Blestians have no experiance with this race as none dwell in that area.

Neither of the two appear to offer violence and have no weapons apparently in hand.


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter
Valegrim wrote:

on the edge of the lit clearing appear a 3ft tall shrouded figure that is hunched over; this arm is clasped around a human sized figured shrouded in darkness; the darkness seems to be coming from the smaller figure; guards at the edge of the compound shout; the smaller figure makes a gesture and both are gone; arrows peirce the ground where they once were. Suddenly both appear in the pavilion stepping out of the long shadow cast my one of the lights on one of the beams near the elderly headman; they are no longer cloaked in darkness under the light of the pavilion; the taller figure is an elf in wonderous chain shirt; wearing otherwise plain and rural traveling clothes; he has several daggers you see; and a nice Hand crossbow strapped to his hip; one of his arms is grasped by the shorter figure; his other tightly clasps as small but strong box with magical runes and other magical script. He appears to be startled.

the shorter figure is heavily cloaked; but beneath the cloak you see some unknown type of plate armor; those who can sense magic can tell that he radiates a lot of it; Rama; you can sense he is a creature of great faith; and a paladin of his deity. Your two auras do not fight each other. He is holding up and open, yet gauntleted hand; each of the figure tips form sharp claws; his voice is whispered and gravely; he says "I greet thee with open hand, I bring a gift from he whom the Red Blade follows"

Warrior are running this way; there is a bit of bedlam and confusion. The priestess of Isis; acts first as if she was prewarned; she stands and in a commanding voice says; "All Hold, Rama; intercede; I know of this creature; let no harm come to him. What would you have of us Ur-Vile? Is the Staff of Law threatend?" her tone is imperious. Rama, it would be appropriate to think she is more than just some random, unimportant priestess; none would ever speak in such a tone of absolute authority expecting to be obeyed.

the two elfs at the table and the newly arrived elf will give nods of greeting which says...

In Elven "Greeting brother and sister" In Lenapian " hellow Sir Rama and Priestess of Isis " continuing in elven "my name is ThoronHen"...

as described above I look elven of average height and build having a bandolear with fine looking daggers and a hand xbow at the bottem. under a standard adventurers garb is a finely made chain shirt.

I stand with one hand open the other protectivly holding a small box.


Female Elf Warmage 5
Valegrim wrote:

the two guards in the trees with bows, look at you with interest and intrigue; they motion you forward; and point to a man on the ground; perhaps there immediate supervisor you guess; with your low light vision you can see both these two guards and supervisor clearly;

do you go forward?

" I think they want us to come forward,perhaps they will let us in." Selena goes towards the man. She motions that her hands are empty and hopes he realizes that she means to harm.


Male Goblin Rogue 2

Salus watches the guards warily as the two elves walk into the village. "Lets find a place to stay tonight. Then maybe we will be able to relax for a bit." Salus starts watching for a out of the way inn as they walk through the village.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

there is no inn; there is only a central pavillion and several huts in a circle. You both have been invited to dine in the central pavillion a few posts back. Please read the third post on this page.


I'll update later; Just arrived in the office and gotta work first.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

As night fall during the dinner; assuming introductions finish and no one gets killed; it cools off just a bit; the hoot and call of night animals are differents and growls and howls of beasts can be heard in the night; on titanic roar from far to the east can be heard; one thought - Dragon- second thought - big one - then from the west an answer as if to a challenge; this one is much closer; perhaps 5 miles away; a titanic roar joined by a chorus of voices; three distint tones can be heard by anyone not tone deaf; the silence afterward is chilling; minutes pass; bettles and bugs once again begin to buzz; frogs burp and ribbit and croak; bird being to sing and chatter; and other animals join in until the regular night sounds once again abound.

<pc's continue to talk and chat introductions, ask your questions to each other and the npc's as needed.>

listen roll of dc 12

Lord Stovuthus says in a quite voice:

Spoiler:

the three blacks in the east do contend with the three golds in the near west; a challenge of which can withstand the lure of the Snakegods longer - he chuckles.


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter

To Lord S "This is not the pyramid is there any particular reason we are here?"

To everyone else as small talk I state that I am from around the Holy citys and that my uncle is a shipper of cargo mostly overland. also state that I had just met Lord S and I am unsure how or why I am here.

Listen (11+10=21)


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Lord S: momentus things of import are coming to convergance: I feel that this is a place of importance; look and learn; listen and evaluate; something is here hidden; find it and be more than you are.


Valegrim wrote:

Please make a spot roll both Rama and Mits.

Spot (1d20+2=16)

Valegrim wrote:

Rama, with you goes the priestess; the warrior woman; and three guards; several more guards follow; but stop every few feet on each side to make a path to and from the main Egyptian group to the dinner pavillion. Those with you assume your good will; they bring forth from the Egyption delegation many food and things for you to share as well creating a meal of larger size and wealth; At the pavillion; people shift; several who were once there leave; a place presumably of honor is given you at the table; only the fierce warrior (Mits) is between you and the old man on your right; the Priestess of Isis is on your left and the warrior woman behind both of you as well as your two guards. You hear some at the table mention that this is not a womans table; but the elderly man, they refer to as Shiri-san, (I dont remember the correct ending; san isnt it though as he is higher rank then them)and he says to be silent as she is abviously a noble or perhaps your wife and customs vary between people; they obviously do not wish to anger you or cause insult; and all appear sincerly appologetic.

as both your party and the Blestian begin to bring forth food and drink; a guard approaches with what appears to be elfs; elves are very uncommon in both Lenap (Eygpt) and Blest (Japan) and none of you have before seen one up close; but thoughts and stories of powerful magic, passion and fighting prowess come back to you about these one time masters of the entire world. The guard with them; tells the Headman that these elves offer no hostility; and ask to be guests and share food and shelter for the night; he appears very nervous and intimidated and his words tumble. The headman appears thoughtful and worried; whispers to himself; "bend like a blade of grass to the movement of powers greater than yourself; or be broken like the branches of an old tree during a storm; and what a storm that is coming"

he looks at you Rama; his expression blank or perhaps strained. He nods to the guard then addressed the Elves in Blestian; to our table and for a nights shelter you are welcome; come join us <a place at the table is made for the two pc elves> During this moment the Priestess of Isis does pray; she touches the neckpiece of Rama; and everyone withing 60 ft including the Elves during that prior comment; can now converse freely and be understood; each of you to some degree of your sensitiviy to magic; feel the power of her goddess wash over you for this small miracle.

Rama smiles and greets everyone. I takes care to chat a bit with those who appear to be of consequence.

Valegrim wrote:


the shorter figure is heavily cloaked; but beneath the cloak you see some unknown type of plate armor; those who can sense magic can tell that he radiates a lot of it; Rama; you can sense he is a creature of great faith; and a paladin of his deity. Your two auras do not fight each other. He is holding up and open, yet gauntleted hand; each of the figure tips form sharp claws; his voice is whispered and gravely; he says "I greet thee with open hand, I bring a gift from he whom the Red Blade follows"

"With accept your wishes for peace in the same vein that it is given. I am Rama. Friend by what name do I call you?"

Valegrim wrote:

Warrior are running this way; there is a bit of bedlam and confusion. The priestess of Isis; acts first as if she was prewarned; she stands and in a commanding voice says; "All Hold, Rama; intercede; I know of this creature; let no harm come to him. What would you have of us Ur-Vile? Is the Staff of Law threatend?" her tone is imperious. Rama, it would be appropriate to think she is more than just some random, unimportant priestess; none would ever speak in such a tone of absolute authority expecting to be obeyed.

Ur-Vile? This is the first time I have heard of them.

"Milady, I stand ready to protect the Staff of Law."


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

ok; just a few playing notes:
you can always take a 10 on a roll in non stressful situations; all of these roll you can just take a 10 if that would give you a pass and roll if you seek more info or need a higher number.

also, dont compare my monster to the books; i change them


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

<introductions continue>

after everyone is seated and the food is cleared; drinks are presented and the village leader begins to speak.

"I do not know this Baelinor Stormwall; I have not met him in person, but I have lived here for some few years; I was here before this ice monument.

It is known that he is odd for a dwarf; that he followed the ways of foriegn gods I have never heard of; he is a enemy of the undead; an enemy of evil. It is said he keeps to himself and has no allies; a loner in the tower of ice; it is also said that he is the father of the dwarven race; I know not the truth of these words; only what is said. Mostly I hear he is strong; stronger than any giant; strong as the strongest God; strength lent to him by the titans of old; it is said that he is cold; cold as his left hand which is made of ice; that he is master of ice and seeks to be master of fire; that he may purge the world of evil by filling our world with frozen flame.

I can say he is a good neighbor; he is quiet, but many come to see him; like those fur clad barbarians; loud and boistrous they are; strange visitors does he have; things not human; things that may not be friends of mankind; things that walk by one form in the day and another at night or when excited.

I have also heard of this team he sometimes is with; heroes all, but many of those stories are bloody and chilling. Of dwarves I have heard of, only Kojan High Priest of Dumathion rivals him in raw power and mystery. When those two put there heads together and talk; all peoples tremble at the outcome.

How will he recieve you Lord Rama, perhaps that is your question; I cannot say; I can only guess; he seems to recieve all; never has it been reported that any are turned away; and niether is it told that he is unduly harsh or that those who visit him never leave. I would say he is a good hero; a fair hero; I and my people live next to him and he does not trouble us.

This I will say; I have seen him many times when I was a member of the resistance; he was happier then; he was well groomed and ever clean and of good appearance; now he is ragged; he is a borrower of things; and his appearance shabby and he is excessively barbaric and hairy; some say he was cursed by the great wizard Fystor for his lack of humility and that the wizards curse makes his hair grow so fast you can watch it happening. Bad business; he and his crowd walk in circles I have no heart to hear of; I am an old man.

The last I can say is this; he had traveled to every continent; so it is said; he has fought every enemy; so it is said; and among his companions he is the most unaffected by the dark things they have fought; done, and struggled against. I believe that if you be heroes who really want to make a earth saving difference; then you should go to him and ask for his wisdom and blessing.

None here no more; if you seek more information; you must speak to the Colonel; or perhaps to a person named Sticks, or Nickolai; or Bones, or Kube, or Mr. Fingers, or Sheska (he makes a sign to ward off evil) or Master Bob or Sweatmeat as they all have traveled on his path for a while; but I warn you; except for Master Bob; any of them might kill you for such a question for they are a closed bunch who kill to protect secrets. But if you try; any of them can be found in this swamp at one time or another and each return here now and again.

Is there any other questions I as host might answer? ask and I will do as I may.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

the three wee fey on the tables break the silence after the old man stops talking with loud bursts of laughter

"Bwaahahahah, HEHEHEHEHE, YaYIII; HAABOBowwwaaaa"
the roll over the tables unable to stand;cluching their middles and spraying tears of laughter. You all hear sputterings of; hehe Father Balinor; hehe; and vague mockeries of much of what the old man said.

the old man gets red faced and embarrased; Mits you can tell he has lost much face or authority/dignity.

Clouds of anger begin to form on many brows; before arms can be drawn; Lord S the dark ur-vile says in a quite, gripping voice that puts chill through everyone; dark tencles reach out and smother the three fey and draw them back into his body.

"My apologies for the words of my allies; I will take their debt as my own and clear the way between us.

I too know Priest Stormwall; I have met him; I have seen his work; I have first hand experience.

It was a few years ago; before I was accepted by the Dark God; that I and my people led by our gods at the time did struggle in earnest against the domination and rebirth of the Snakes; our gods stood with us to sheild us from the enslavement that the snakes whisper into our souls; in our battle triangle of 400; 40,000 of us stood with our gods and did battle; the battle was short; we died. We were slaughered; we saw our gods dismembered and eaten and our forces were smashed, and enslaves; some of us ran; I ran; we hid near a forest awaiting the coming of the snakes; awaiting death; it was within this forest that Priest Baelinor and his party watched our death; watched the death of our gods; but Priest Baelinor was not moved by our deaths; by the slaughter of us who desired freedom; how we did in the thousands. We were broken; walking dead; our sorrow bitter and no strength to breath; and as some among is group; Lorm Dragonheart and Balfic Graa; did argue to save us; it was Cera the Chaoslord led by Priest Balinor who argued to leave us to our fate; or kill us for we were naught but evil. The Wizard Fystor and the others remained mute in the arguement; uncaring if we lived and died; they had other plans and an agenda. Then all left except Balfic who saved us; and Arlene the viking warrior madien; who stayed and treated and aided us; finally restoring our honor and giving us purpose.

I cannot say much of Balinor that you would wish to hear; I can only say this: he has power; much power; the law of the universe is in him and he can use it and use it he does; the power of the titans is his; and none are phsically stronger; ice is his to command; so take care; know this. If he decided you are his enemy he will destroy you and has the power to do it; if he decided you dont matter he will ignore you; if you are an ally; this I cannot know as he is not my ally; to him I and my kind are tolerated and do not yet matter. He has secrets and power surrounds him; he knows many things; not as much as my master, but for you he is a better ally perhaps and I have heard his heart is in the right place and he would save the world if he could; but beware his devotion; for you are chaff before his eyes and always will be.

I have spoiled your dinner; I will make reparations; let me ponder and I shall return in time; thing are moving quickly now; convergence of will and power; dreams upon troubled dreams swirl in eddies. Thoronhen; stay with these; go with them to Baelinor early in the morning.
To Rama; I suggest you be at the top of his temple; you and thoronhen and those two elfs. be there waiting when the suns ray first strike; there you will learn something and see a sight to behold; it may give you hope; and there you will find Balinor in a quite repose.

then Rama; return to your pagentry and be recieved. This is how I foresee a outcome for you that is least troublesome; this is my gift to you estemed elder; forgive my allies;

Lord S turns and walks in to a shadow cast by the pole of the pavilion and they are gone.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Party; continue to discuss as you will. I would like to know if anyone is going to take Lord S; advice and go to the temple early to see this promised sight to behold; also, this might be a good time for small talk between pc and or npc's

is there anything any character wishes to do; it is about 7:30pm game time roughly; if any wish to retire for the night; one fairly large room will be provided; a family has cleared out and is staying with another to make space for you ;though you will all need to share. I you wish other arrangements; just let me know what you intend.


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter
Valegrim wrote:
Lord S: momentus things of import are coming to convergance: I feel that this is a place of importance; look and learn; listen and evaluate; something is here hidden; find it and be more than you are.

I keep my self composed. I do more listening then talking. I ask questions to keep the conversation going. (diplomacy 8+6=14, gather info 8+17=25, Sence motive 16+9=25, spot 11+9= 20)

After the headman and Lord S speechs I state that I fully plan on being at the pyramid at the rise of the sun as I believe what Lord S says and then head off to bed. making a spot next to the doorway with my back against the wall.before going to sleep I jot in a journal some info of the discutions as well as names and some insites on thoes individals. (Val What is the date so i can make my own notes.)


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Hmm; I am not sure the date, anyway; unless there is anything else anyone wants to do; the night passes uneventfully. You are awakened in the predawn early morning by a small gong sound; unless you intend anything special; you refresh yourselves, eat a some type of rice and meat mixture wrapped in some leaves and some fruit and are served a very spicy morning tea. Most of the village is up an eating at this time also; and some move to begin whatever type work they do.

The village elder; introduces you to a young man; this is Ichiban, he will show you the quickest way through the jungle to the clearing of the ice monolith. He is ready when you are.

Is there anything anyone would like to do before you set off? The Priestess of Isis will ask for her necklace back; it will be several hours before the baggage train gets moving.

Fill in any details you wish and we will move to the Pyramid next.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Shall we continue to the pryamid; has all the pc taken care of any little details they wish; didnt see much talk among pc's that usually happens; mabye because it is pbp; I think the pyramid will really tie the group together.


Male Dwarf Cleric 6 (Earth and Protection Domain)

Erkholt moves though the morning crowds, allowing the bulk of his mule to force a way where his diminutive stature would otherwise go unnoticed. The dwarf rubbed at his neck where his beard was chafing in his armour from this damnable humidity. "We didn't get rains like this in the clanhold" he mumbles to himself.

The well of life is where his fate has drawn him. He was hoping to meet with the avatar of his god, yet it appears as if Moradin were too deeply involved in the planning of a great battle with the other gods and the Egyptians. Apparently gods hold time a little differently to the rest of us.

The cleric looked around at the mass of humanoids around him and heaved a deep sigh. "Moradin has brought me here for a reason" he thought to himself "now I just have to find out what it is". He rubbed at his chafing armour again before moving into th crowds once more.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

"I rekon you maight be raight there cousin; where have yea bin lookin fer yur answer?"

you look around at the sound of the dwarven voice with a strange accent. Behind you to your left about 3ft you see a dwarvf in Mountain Plate Armor; mastercrafted and full of runes of magic. He rests his hands and leans on a pommel of the staff of a two handed hammer of like quality whose head rests on the ground; interestingly you notice that your boots are in the muck; and his feet seem to be on top of the water and muck; he doesnt sink into it. He is a High Priest of Moradin from a clan you dont recognise; your guessing the clan to the east of here; you heard there was a proud southern clan almost as old and powerful as the one in the Valley of the Ancients.

he hold out his hand for the traditional greeting of dwarves. You meet his eyes and see that they are deep with wisdom and age.
" howdy; I am Homer Holdenhammer, pleased to make yur aquaintence thar priest". "perhaps you have something you'd like to say; mayhap a lil discussion might help; my ears be workin at da moment ifn you need ta speak at em."

Startled you see that he has a bit of a holy glow about him; what do you do?


Male Dwarf Cleric 6 (Earth and Protection Domain)

I reach out and grip his arm in the traditional way, taking the time to bow slightly to one of obvious power and importance to his clan.

"Well met Homer Holdenhammer. I am Erkholt Grugn, displaced cleric of clan Holdhammer. My appologies for intruding on your time, I was merely seeking sme guidance in my path"

I look him in the eye and grin broadly, now that the traditional greetings are over. "Well then, an offer of advice from one such as yourself should never go undeeded. I've been tromping through this jungle for a good few weeks now and I KNOW there's somethign for me to do here. I can feel it through the earth,even though it be mostly mud now. Seeing as how you know this region well, mayhap you could give me a direction. What can I do to be of assistance in this region?"

I grip the leader rope of Errol (my mule) more tightly as the crowd starts to move around us, my full attention on the venerable dwarf in front of me.


male Human fighter 2/monk 3

Mitsuryuu, having nothing to add to any conversation, waits quietly until the rest have retired.
"I will go to the pyramid with this group," he says to the headman, "and wait until I may speak to this dwarf with the power of the titans. I think it best to wait until he has been well-pleased by the Egyptian's gifts before broaching the subject of the lost artifact with him."
After allowing the headman to reply as necessary, Mitsuryuu retires to the common room, sleeping lightly, and with his sword at hand.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Erholt:

The High Priest says: Wael; lez see whutkinbe dun; He dont be sittin all on ceremony at the moment. The High Priest whistles very loudly and shouts: "Master; diz youngen be needin some guidance; kin ye spare a second; Moradin looks at you both; then his Brother Dumathion puts his hand on Moradins shoulder; a pained look crosses Moradins face; he nods; Dumathion waves his armored hand; a little figure of a green man with a staff and scepter appear in your hand; then he points to the Ice Pryamid.

"Well, there you go; git ta da icehouse n find dat green man; off wit yea?
he waves and smiles; der aight no path; but ye get a bead on it from here; den go dat way; keep dem yeller humans on yer left; hmm; yea ever bin ina jungle befur? prolly not wise ta go alone; he looks around a bit; foller me

he goes up to a group of wicked looking men in skins and chain armor; some in banded; some bare chested; all big smelly guys; they are laughing and joking around; some sweet smelling alcholic beverage is getting sloshed about; they are in quiet a contrast to all the orderly dwarves; orderly Eygptians and the quite harmony of the elves.

When he approaches; some keep doing their thing; but a couple of the better dressed of them pay him respects; in dwarven:
Barbarian Lord: Hail mighty earthbrother; Vat zeke yea hear?
High Priest responds" my cousin here needs an excort to Balinor and his ice pryamid; Can yer rabble handle this task; might be dangerous.
Barbarian Lord: Dangerous; he and his rabble now paying attention laugh; Little snakes, not zo dangerous; frogs kan be to zer smaller statured ones; dem boars; we eats dem boars dont ve Boyz? they shake boar spears and laugh.
(you get the feeling the high priest knows these guys)
The high priest hands the lead barbarian a small bag; apparently coins; the barbarian weighs it in his hand; nods; drinks are shared to all; then Barbarian Lord says; Komst vit us; ve taken you.

unless you want to talk to them; some circle around you; a couple leave ahead as scouts; the rest of the group more or less surrounds you; they set a pace you mule can keep. They seem very efficient and not so drunk as they first appeared. They and their gear look well used.

<interact with them as you will; you will arrive at the pyramid the same night that the rest of the part is at he other village; you will be invited to join in and eat and sleep with the Vikings; they will treat you well and with respect; some probably need healing, but they wont ask; some may be sick with fever; still they wont ask.

They apparently are guarding the ice pyramid; you see scouts archers and various warrior types always with weapons in hand and walking in groups around the pyramid; at night you cannot get a great scence ofscale; but it is about 400' accross the bottom; the ice blocks are about 5x10' in size.

They will not let you go up the pyramid; they say wait till sunrise. Veboten; (forbidden)


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter

After breaking my fast I do some streaches to make myself more limber after the nights rest. I make sure that I am the first if not one of the first that are at the entryway leading out of the encampment wating for the boy guide. I also take a look around and see what is gong on around me.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

People are finishing up eating in this predawn darkness; it is somewhat cool now and people are beginning to work doing weaving; carving; and animal chores. Little paper lanterns are hung about and provide some light.

soon, those going to the pyramid are ready and set off with the guide; the Egyptian train only has guards awake and most are still asleep. The group going as far as I can tell is Rama; Mits, Thoron, the Priestess of Isis; and 10 guards includeing the female one who seems to watch Rama with more than normal interest from time to time.

As you set off with the silent and nervous guide; you notice that four guards; two on each side of where your walking and a semi path that was not there yesterday and with evidence of recent clearing appear; the path continues; the guards are spaced within sight of each other; about 30 ft apart; as you walk along; you travel for several miles; the number of guards begins to boggle the mind; just how many Egyptians are here; guess the Pharoah really wants this meeting to go without incident.

We will start tomorrow with the party coming out of the jungle into the semi frozen plain that surrounds the Pyramid of Ice. There the Dwarven Cleric will be waiting with 4 Viking Guards at the bottom of the stairs leading up; there are about 400 combat ready Vikings here; most in one group; about 100 milling about encircling the Pyramid; It will be pre dawn; the sky is becoming lighter; you see many of the Vikings constantly looking upwards toward the peak of the Pyramid with expectant faces.

Not knowing what to expect; Characters please give descriptions to each other of what you look like; this will help get things moving; talk amongst yourselves as if you were there. One thing I have not talked about yet is exps; will post some exp guidelines on the discussion thread; basically; roleplay your character as a real person.


Male Dwarf Cleric 6 (Earth and Protection Domain)

Erkholt calls a thanks to the honorable dwarf. As he walks away in the company of the Vikings he looks down at his muddied boots and hem of his cloak. "Neat trick he has there, have to learn how to do that whole levitating thing"

He places the figure of the green man into the pouch on his belt ( a spare pocket on the components pouch), and looks around at his hosts.

"Well lads, lets go see this here Pyramid o' Ice"

I'll spend the night talking jovially with my hosts and sharing what food and drink I have with them. I'll heal any and all people I possibly can with the spells I have, converted to healing I'll burn through all of them as I see no point holding onto spells while I can use them to help those around me. Unfortunately I don't have cure disease prepped, so can't do much there. I will use my Heal skill to try and make any suffering a little less. If any objections are made I'll state

"Moradin gave me these gifts to use laddy, no point lettin 'em sit idle while those around me suffer".

I won't push the point though. I would like to leave these Vikings with a firm impression that I am a good companion and grateful for their assistance.

I am at work atm so can't do any rolls for you. Will post some tonight for heal checks and a diplomacy for the impression I give them. Will also post a description tonight


Male Dwarf Cleric 6 (Earth and Protection Domain)

I am fairly solid, with a barrel like chest, as most dwarves are. I only stand a little over 5 feet but I tend to find my loud voice and ready laugh attract attention to me, so that my stature is not too limiting.

My straw blonde hair and beard are both long and groomed as best can be in this jungle. My beard bifurcates in a twin plaite, held together at the waist by a pair of bone carved beads, each with the symbol of my clan. A pair of blue grey eyes gaze out from under bushy eyebrows, always holding the edge of a smile.

I am dressed in full plate armour, a suit that is functional rather than showy. You can tell from its glean that I keep it well oiled in this damp environment, but even the care I have given it can't hide some of the more obvious signs of battle damage. Although I never complain about it, I constantly rub at parts of the armour where it chafes me in this damnable humid environment.

At my waist hangs the master crafted mace I use, "Grolfnir". I carry a crossbow across my shoulders and have a travel pack on at the moment.

Over my shoulders is draped a blue cape with a large white hammer embroidered into it, the symbol of Moradin. The cape is mud stained through travel at the moment as it hangs to my ankles and the mud in this region occasionally reaches above my ankles. This of course also means that my heavy, steel shod boots are also covered in travel grime. I clean my gear as best I can everynight, but everyday tramping through this environemnt dirties them again. Oh well, the earth is Moradins domain and gettting some of it on me is surely good for the soul.

Around my neck is a necklace of leather and beads, supported from which is a silver amulet in the shape of Moradins anvil. This is the symbol I use for prayers as it signifies the protection of the god and his affinity for the earth, both domains of which I have an affinity.

When you first see me I am talking animatedly to the four vikings who are accompanying me, regailing them with a tale of battle I once had involving an Orc, a Gnoll and an Ogre. My arms move animatedly as I tell the tale and my voice changes pitch and timbre as I mimic each of the beasts in a parody of their language.

"And then the Ogre swings his club at me but crushes the orcs skull instead! Bwahahahahhahaa I tell ya lads, good times...good times"

Qadira

M

For Val

Spoiler:
These were my dice rolls for the heal checks I made last night with the vikings to help with their diseases. 16+8= 24, 20+8=28, 1+8=9, 7+8=15.

My diplomacy roll was 11+6=17, to try and leave a good impression with the Vikings. I will also ask them to care for Errol and my trade gear while I go for the meeting. They can take payment from the trade goods I have or negotiated coins if needs be. I have taken a day pack with me to the pyramid which contains food and water for a day, as I don't know what to expect from the meeting.

since we're waiting at the temple predawn, I likely havn't had a chance to complete my morning prayer ritual for spells. This happens at 6pm. Depending on what you've decided for my healing of the Vikings, I'll need to know how many I used up so I can track my expendature of these. Cheers.


Rama wakes his immediate companions. "The Ur-Vile has given as a great clue to obtain the favor of priest Balinor. Let us be ready to meet him at the top of the Pyramid at first light."

Rama directs his aides to ready his chariot with a small bodyguard with the rest of the train to follow as swiftly as it can.

Seker is a god of light; hence first light is obviously the oppotune time to invoke the signs that our meeting with Balinor is favored by his god.


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter

I am an average looking elf with dark brown hair and green eyes. as I move through the party while we travel, you can readly see a band of daggers across my chest at the end of the bandolear there hangs a quiver of bolts for the hand crossbow that also hanges from the end. Through the standard travlers clothes you can glimps a finely made shirt of mail. The travlers clothes pockets seem to have items in them as well as some pouches at the waist and a backpack along the back. Almost unconscionablely I reach back and check the backpack or something in it. As I pass people in the train I speek with them mostly small talk. I always seem to be keeping an eye on those around me as well as whats beyond in the jungle, not only at ground level but above as well.


male Human fighter 2/monk 3

Mitsuryuu is about 5’6” tall, with a strong, swordsman’s build. He has long black hair, usually worn in a ponytail, and dark brown eyes. He usually wears a privacy hat when outdoors. His clothes are finely made, if relatively plain. He has a tattoo on his right arm of seven dragons in a chain, the one behind biting the tail of the one before. The dragons are wildly different, and appear to be made by entirely different artists. He carries little save his daisho.
On the trip he says little, and never begins a conversation. IF engeaged in conversation he is polite. He seems not the least bit curious about anything, and is obviously "traveling in the same direction" as the rest of the group as opposed to "traveling with" them.


Male Dwarf Cleric 6 (Earth and Protection Domain)

As the large party approaches the pyramid across the icy plane, I nudge one of the vikings and nod in the direction of the travellers accompanying the Egyptians.

"That Elf looks a mite jumpy to me, and whod've thought to see one of the asian men here. I'm bettin there's an interesting tlae to be told for this."

I call out as they approach "Hail and well met. Moradin bless the rock on which ye walk."

I'll hold out my hand in greeting to the first person who approaches.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Dont worry about these details; unless your getting chased by some mobs or chasing down some mobs i dont worry to much about this stuff; your prayers are complete and you get your spells back; the vikings treat you well; appreciate the healing; and will care for your stuff; they are a very honorable lot in their own way.

Wrath wrote:

For Val

** spoiler omitted **


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Most of the Vikings laugh and joke with the Dwarf and make sarcastic or joking comments about the group approaching the Pyramid; the Pryramid itself; themselves; the dwarf; his donkey, the beer; the weather; and everything else you can think of and each thing gets bolder and more wild than the last; but then some are very stone faced and cold looking and dont crack a smile or have any facial expression. A real mixed lot.

anyone who wished may roll Sense Motive for more information, keep in mind those of you who have not spent time with Northmen have increased DC due to cultural differences.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

A average looking viking; neither tall not short; somewhat slim of build; detaches himself from the group at the foot of the pyramid and sauters toward the mixed approaching party. He is smiling and appears somewhat intoxicated. He is armed and armored, but does not appear overtly threatening.

<sentences and full expressions are not possible in common; just major ideas>

in common:
Greeting
Stop or Dont approach
Wait.

The first rays of light have not yet struck the temple and the sky is cloudy and it looks like it is going to pour heavy rain very soon.

What do you approaching group party members do at this juncture?


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Erkholt; what do you do now that you see that one of the vikings goes to greet the party rather than let them approach fully? do you hang back or go forward with him or something else?

if you begin to go forward:

Spoiler:

one will put his hand on your shoulder and hold you back gently yet firmly and say "wait with us honored dwarf, let us see if they take the rabbit, watch" (with a 10 you can see that they have shifted positions very slightly and have their hands on or very near long axes, vikings like dwarves trust very slowly.)

if you wait:

Spoiler:

(with a 10 you can see that they have shifted positions very slightly and have their hands on or very near long axes, vikings like dwarves trust very slowly.)

what do you do?


Male Dwarf Cleric 6 (Earth and Protection Domain)

I'll hang back and ask the four Vikings with me what the normal protocol is.

sense motive 7+1=8, guess I'm not learning anyhting new about the vikings. Now I've made my decision I'll go back and read your spoiler


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

A viking whispers to you.

Spoiler:

Well see there now is the tricky part; the rabbit tries to see if their friendly or not; if they attack him; he is nimble and quick and might survive, Holgun here blows his horn; we all attack till either them or us aint standing no more.

Ifn they are freindly; well; he greet them and find out what they want here. Course this all might be pointless in a couple minutes as the first rays of dawn are almost here; wanna see something interesting; keep looking up to the top of that block o ice; then you'll see somethign fur sure.

Erkholt Grugn wrote:

I'll hang back and ask the four Vikings with me what the normal protocol is.

sense motive 7+1=8, guess I'm not learning anyhting new about the vikings. Now I've made my decision I'll go back and read your spoiler

__________

this is not combat; you can always take a 10 you know on skills; your not rushed at the moment.


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter
Valegrim wrote:

A average looking viking; neither tall not short; somewhat slim of build; detaches himself from the group at the foot of the pyramid and sauters toward the mixed approaching party. He is smiling and appears somewhat intoxicated. He is armed and armored, but does not appear overtly threatening.

<sentences and full expressions are not possible in common; just major ideas>

in common:
Greeting
Stop or Dont approach
Wait.

The first rays of light have not yet struck the temple and the sky is cloudy and it looks like it is going to pour heavy rain very soon.

What do you approaching group party members do at this juncture?

I move forward and in Valeanese say Hello Northman we are here to see a great sight at the top of yon pyramid. I myself have been asked by Mr Sticks to talk to the maker of yon pyramid and deliver a package. May we pass as to make it before the dawns first light that is swiftly approching. diplomicy 8+ 3= 11


"The blessing of the gods be upon you. I am Rama. To whom do I speak." Rama addresses the vikings.


Male Dwarf Cleric 6 (Earth and Protection Domain)

In response to the viking

Spoiler:
"Well, seein' as how they're Egyptians, and those guys tend to worship the sun, I'm hoping they at least wait till the sun comes up 'afore pickin a fight. I didn't come here looking to scrap, and I've grown a might tired of patchin' together new friends and old. However lad, whatever they do, know I'll heal ye' ifn you need it"

I sigh deeply at the perpetual level of war that seems to have taken hold of the peoples in this world, even here at the well of life. It was war that brought about the destruction of my clanhold, and I'd much rather be trying a way to return it to its former glory than fight war with these Egyptians. Now if it was Ogres and Orcs waitin over yonder, then I'd be pulling out Grolfnir and smashin heads with the rest of them. But battle for battle's sake, that aint my cup of mead.

All of this runs through my head in the few brief seconds after the viking speaks


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

The sky is dark with clouds, ready to pour forth water upon the swamp; only a glimmer of light can be seen in the Eastern Sky as if the first rays will come very soon. A light drizzle begins; but as it is so much cooler; almost uncomforably so; it comes down in the pyramid area as small snowflakes. Many of you from warmer climes may have never seen such a thing. Anywhere on or right next to the pyramid is about 30 degrees F; so pretty cold if your not wearing much. The temperature increases by about 10 degrees per 20ft away from the pyramid; during mid day the swamp temperature is about 100 degrees and about 90 percent humidity; the humidity decreases around the pryamid; but the ground is quite frozen and has a bit of slick rime within 20 ft; since the swamp has cooled off a bit during the night; to about 90 degrees, there is always a bit more ice this early in the morning; and less at mid day; so the area here is sometimes a bit slick, but then the swamp with all the mud and slime of algae and whatnot growing things; it is always pretty slick.

the slender viking in the front with the curly blonde hair:
I am Gurnison Hildendorfski; Clan of the Stag. <he says to Thoronhen>
Sticks eh; well now aight dat interesting like.

Hail Rama, er dez Gotts with you? That all yur name; you no relatives nor kin; you all more or less look alike to me; how vould I know you from any other Rama. He puts his hand to is mouth and says a bit loudly; any other Rama's here? (you can sense motive if you like) after a few minutes; he says; guess not; suppose ist ok then, Rama it is. Rest of you ist just hangers on I guess. Well, now; cept fer Thoronhen, what kan I do for you Volks and lovely lasses. Why you come here Rama Comes in Colors?

<everyone facing the blond guy make a spot roll and sense motive>

What do you guys do?
___________

at the base of the pyramid:
the same viking as before says: ahk, dey dont look to faite, too baad, warms da blut. (very Arnold ish hehe)

It vill be kalt enough soon; Himner; dont vurry. Says another

It Komes it Komes says another.
Ah; gut eyes; Hansel; says another.

________________________

Spot rolls from everyone dc is 10; but the better you get on this roll the more details. This is something happening at a distance; so if you have any better vision stuff give me a reminder.


Valegrim wrote:


the slender viking in the front with the curly blonde hair:
I am Gurnison Hildendorfski; Clan of the Stag. <he says to Thoronhen>
Sticks eh; well now aight dat interesting like.

Hail Rama, er dez Gotts with you? That all yur name; you no relatives nor kin; you all more or less look alike to me; how vould I know you from any other Rama. He puts his hand to is mouth and says a bit loudly; any other Rama's here? (you can sense motive if you like) after a few minutes; he says; guess not; suppose ist ok then, Rama it is. Rest of you ist just hangers on I guess. Well, now; cept fer Thoronhen, what kan I do for you Volks and lovely lasses. Why you come here Rama Comes in Colors?

<everyone facing the blond guy make a spot roll and sense motive>

What do you guys do?
___________

"I am Rama. That is my name."

Sense Motive (1d20+10=19)

"I bring gifts for Baelinor."


Male Changeling (looking like an Elf) 5 Rogue 1 Fighter
Valegrim wrote:

The sky is dark with clouds, ready to pour forth water upon the swamp; only a glimmer of light can be seen in the Eastern Sky as if the first rays will come very soon. A light drizzle begins; but as it is so much cooler; almost uncomforably so; it comes down in the pyramid area as small snowflakes. Many of you from warmer climes may have never seen such a thing. Anywhere on or right next to the pyramid is about 30 degrees F; so pretty cold if your not wearing much. The temperature increases by about 10 degrees per 20ft away from the pyramid; during mid day the swamp temperature is about 100 degrees and about 90 percent humidity; the humidity decreases around the pryamid; but the ground is quite frozen and has a bit of slick rime within 20 ft; since the swamp has cooled off a bit during the night; to about 90 degrees, there is always a bit more ice this early in the morning; and less at mid day; so the area here is sometimes a bit slick, but then the swamp with all the mud and slime of algae and whatnot growing things; it is always pretty slick.

the slender viking in the front with the curly blonde hair:
I am Gurnison Hildendorfski; Clan of the Stag. <he says to Thoronhen>
Sticks eh; well now aight dat interesting like.

Hail Rama, er dez Gotts with you? That all yur name; you no relatives nor kin; you all more or less look alike to me; how vould I know you from any other Rama. He puts his hand to is mouth and says a bit loudly; any other Rama's here? (you can sense motive if you like) after a few minutes; he says; guess not; suppose ist ok then, Rama it is. Rest of you ist just hangers on I guess. Well, now; cept fer Thoronhen, what kan I do for you Volks and lovely lasses. Why you come here Rama Comes in Colors?

<everyone facing the blond guy make a spot roll and sense motive>

What do you guys do?
___________

at the base of the pyramid:
the same viking as before says: ahk, dey dont look to faite, too baad, warms da blut. (very Arnold ish hehe)

It vill be kalt enough soon; Himner; dont vurry....

spot 11+18=29 Sense motive 16+9=25 at this point I just stand and look at what the one with the "good eyes" sees


Spot (1d20+2=17)


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD
Rama wrote:
Valegrim wrote:


"I am Rama. That is my name."

Sense Motive (1d20+10=19)

"I bring gifts for Baelinor."

________________

he seems to be making fun of you in a jovial manner; perhaps to goad you into rash action. He nods and is more serious, but not much, after your comment.

101 to 150 of 6,952 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Valgrymr's Homebrew. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.