Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Under the Tears of Selûne: Northbound

Game Master Keddah



They fought at least a dozen of those mammoth rodents, and came out almost unscathed. They're certainly an admirable bunch the small human dressed in fine garments in charge of the Golden Goblet explains to a young noble the reasons the group sitting at a table in the inn common room are allowed to stay in the usually exclusive inn. Are they available for hire? I happen to need thome capable handth asks the young man with a strong lisp I suppose they would be my lord, after all the Ratplague seems to have been brought to an end and the city is brimming with adventurers the nobleman hands a coin to the innkeeper and moves to the table where the party is enjoying their meal Good thirth I reprethent a conthortium needing able handth for a dangerouth job. I take you would be available to hire


Kleth strokes his beard as the Nobleman takes a seat at the table. Certainly word travels fast in these parts!

He takes a sip of mead, clears his throat and replies to the young man, "I cannot speak for my companions but I would certainly be willing to entertain any offer you may make, I am Kleth Shleth of Halruaa".


Male Dwarf Oracle (Stone) 2, Init +1 (+3 while underground); AC 17, touch 11, flat-footed 16, HP 19/19), Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +3; +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, Senses darkvision 30 ft, Perception +2

The dirty covered dwarf sitting opposite Kleth nods as little pebbles fall from his brown beard. "Aye lad, pull up a seat and tell us what ails ye and ol' Oryx here'll see what we can do fer ye."


Male Halfling Bard (Arch) 1 / Rog (Unc) 1 || HP: 18/18 || AC: 20 (T:16 / FF:17) || CMD: 15 || Fort:+3 Refl:+9 Will:+3(+5 fear) || Init:+3 || Perception:+6(+7 trap)

His meal already safely packed away in his stomach, the halfling lifts his mug to his lips and takes a long drink of his ale... that comes up short. Damn, already finished my ale. These can't be proper pints. Looking up at the nobleman, Gavin smiles. "Well, if your planning to offer us work, perhaps you'd be kind enough to start us with a fresh round of ale? After all, we wouldn't want our throats to go dry while we negotiate terms of employment." A big smile across his face, Gavin lifts his empty mug then turns it upside down for effect.


Male Dwarf Oracle (Stone) 2, Init +1 (+3 while underground); AC 17, touch 11, flat-footed 16, HP 19/19), Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +3; +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, Senses darkvision 30 ft, Perception +2

Oryx chuckles. "Don't mind Gavin none. Boy thinks with his stomach and his purse. He also has an appetite that would put an orc ta shame. Ain't that right Kleth?" the dirt covered dwarf says with a nod to the Halruaan wizard.


Kleth nods at Oryx's comment, "The halflings I know can eat but Gaven can really eat!"


Female Half-Elf fighter 2

Half of Kyli's meal was uneaten and pushed to the side, Some inns just did not know how to cook, no matter how fancy they made themselves out to be. Gavin's request for more ale brought her out of her own reverie and she decided to join in the fun, Someone as well heeled as yourself should know that you never proposition a lady without plying her with drink first. Giving the man a wink.


Male Human Bloodrager 1

Menrozzar, having finished his food and eyeing Kyli's a bit, turned to the nobleman and took a long pull of his ale. Looks incredibly soft. Whatever this is, it's probably a small task. Still, there is always a possibility of glory, even in the smallest quests.

He sets his mug down and says, "Indeed, I would be available to hire. Tell me, what assistance do you need?"


The nobleman smiles and makes a gesture to the innkeeper My friendth can drink on me for the restht of the night he turns back to the table My partnerth and I have acquired a thipment of thilkth brought from Kara-Tur and intend to get the to Athkatla for thale he looks for a second behind his back Unfortunately the protection we had hired ith not enough and we're interethted in hiring thome truthtworthy men to thee uth to Riatavin he drops a purse clinking with coin on the table a hundred gold cointh a head, half payable now, half on our arrival


Kleth nods, "Athkatla eh? That is to the west on the Sword Coast the Capital of Amn. If I am not mistaken they are not kindly disposed towards spellcasters of the arcane variety. Still , for that kind of coin I shall gladly display my Holy Symbol instead of my Wizard's frock. One question though, does the offer over and above cover basic expenses for making such a journey such as transportation, food, and water?" He looks at his companions to gauge their reactions to the offer.

DM:
Knowledge Geography - 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


Male Halfling Bard (Arch) 1 / Rog (Unc) 1 || HP: 18/18 || AC: 20 (T:16 / FF:17) || CMD: 15 || Fort:+3 Refl:+9 Will:+3(+5 fear) || Init:+3 || Perception:+6(+7 trap)

Gavin smiles appreciatively as the barmaid carries over the next round of ale. Hoisting his new mug, he turns to their would-be employer. "Much obliged, good sir."

Taking a big gulp, Gavin trusts in his innate sense of good fortune as he continues. "While I trust you know who we are, I find us lacking a significant piece of information - you, and your partner's, names. Of course beyond that, given that it is no short distance between here and Tethyr, and either route traveled is known to have many risks, I think perhaps a little fuller rate of pay may be necessary. One hundred and fifty crowns per head, perhaps?"

diplomacy + adaptable luck: 1d20 + 8 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 8 + 3 = 25


Male Human Bloodrager 1

Menrozzar takes another tankard from the barmaid and takes a drink. The warrior eyes the soft nobleman and says, "I believe manners dictate introductions all around, yes? It is always best to know the name of someone who buys you a drink - if only to properly repay them."


Male Dwarf Oracle (Stone) 2, Init +1 (+3 while underground); AC 17, touch 11, flat-footed 16, HP 19/19), Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +3; +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, Senses darkvision 30 ft, Perception +2

Oryx lifts an eyebrow at Gavin's negotiation tactics, but he's been around the halfling long enough to know how this goes.

"Never been to Athkatla b'fore."


Female Half-Elf fighter 2

Kyli grabs her tankard before the others finish off the new round, she would leave the talking to those with silver tongues and focus on what she did well in, drinking. I will drink to that! as she raises her mug to Gavin's counter offer.


Male Aasimar Paladin 2

Malachi's been eating his meal at a reasonable pace, savoring it rather than wolfing it down. He does, however, pause to loose an amused chuckle at Kleth's statement. "You keep a holy symbol on you just for that? The life of a mage is a complicated one," he comments, his tone bearing no ill will. Indeed, he's been fairly casual and youthful throughout his acquaintance with the group, as one would expect of one of Lathandar's paladins.

Dawnmane's gold and rose hued eyes then turn upon the merchant, the dawn colored mane for which he's been nicknamed doing the same with the twist. "That sounds like an honest enough request. Silk isn't an easy commodity to come by, after all. Good target for bandits. I have to agree with my friends, though, that we're at a disadvantage. We really should know who we're dealing with," he concurs. "Oh, and I agree about one hundred and fifty a head. This is tempting cargo for dangerous people, and certain members of our little group face unique dangers in Athkatla."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


Kleth grins at Malachi, "The Lord of Spells does grant me his favor my friend. While a Wizard is my chosen career, I was an Acolyte in the Church before I abandoned what my family wanted for me to pursue what I wanted for me".


My name ith Roland Thilverthield the man says offering his hand to Gavin I reprethent the interetht of the Thilverthield & Rockbiter Trade Company he seems confused for a second and continues I may not have been clear, we need protection only until Riatavin, in thouthern Amn. After that we have hired local men for our thecurity he stops for a second to meditate A hundred and fifty ith a decent price, unfortunately I don't carry enough coin on mythelf now. I'll pay you fifty here and a hundred on arrival if we agree, travel expenthes are on uth of courthe, but I'll need you to thign a contract to juthtify the expenthe to my partnerth


Male Dwarf Oracle (Stone) 2, Init +1 (+3 while underground); AC 17, touch 11, flat-footed 16, HP 19/19), Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +3; +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, Senses darkvision 30 ft, Perception +2

Oryx nods and says "That sounds reasonable." then raises his hand to wave doewn a waitress for a refill of his ale.

Then he perks up as if hearing something. then looks down beside him and opens a satchel at his side and whispers to something inside. [smaller]"Aye aye, I agree. Nope it's not about the money. Yer so talkative now ain't ye. We'll yap about it later."
Then Oryx looks up at everyone staring at him and he shrugs.

"Sylvester, he's always got an opinion about things."


Male Human Bloodrager 1

Menrozzar smiles and says, "I can agree to that, my good man. 'Tis a fair price for the work. Let us sign the contract, then celebrate with drink and song."


Male Aasimar Paladin 2

"I was raised in Lathander's temple, so I can't claim to know much of parents. One of mine was obviously a touch odd," he says, the coloration of his hair and eyes paired with his apparently vestigial wings speaking to that. With a grin, he adds, "That said, I don't think my lord would expect parental obedience when we're taught to embrace our youth."

Oh, yes. There's still business at hand. The paladin turns his attention upon the merchant and takes in a breath. "Although I'd rather we received the larger share up front, it's honest work and might well save lives," he decides. "I'll agree to your terms. As a merchant, I'm sure you'll understand when I say that the contract will be kept in mind. If we should be dealt with unfairly, the authorities in Riatavin may be interested in what we've signed. Ah, which we should probably read before we do."

Assuming the terms are as promised, all said, Malachi provides his signature to the whole but abstains from further drink. Perhaps he'd rather know his limits when there's work ahead.


Female Half-Elf fighter 2

Kyli finishes her drink and waits for the document to add her signature. Looking forward to working for you. she added.


Kleth grabs a new mug from the table, "A toast to new relationships may they always be lucrative and filled with interesting adventures!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The nobleman scribbles on a piece of parchment for a minute and sets in on the table Here ith your contract he awaits for all of them to sign before continuing At dawn you thhall meet my young couthin Lem who will be in charge of the thipment, there are two wagonth loaded with the thilkth and an aditional wagon with provithionth and a hammock for thothe rethting he thinks for a second In total five people will be under your protection until Riatavin. I with you thafe travelth, may Thaundakul watch over you finished these words he turns back and goes upstairs toward the rooms of theinn unless there are any questions.


Male Halfling Bard (Arch) 1 / Rog (Unc) 1 || HP: 18/18 || AC: 20 (T:16 / FF:17) || CMD: 15 || Fort:+3 Refl:+9 Will:+3(+5 fear) || Init:+3 || Perception:+6(+7 trap)

Gavin smiles before finishing off his tankard of Ale. "Excellent, it would seem we have an accord... And you have caravan guards for your shipment. Now, good sir Silvershield, when would you like to depart?"


Male Aasimar Paladin 2

Malachi reads the document with perhaps a touch more scrutiny than others. "Ah, I'm afraid I can't outright agree to accepting any order given to me in the course of this trip," the young Aasimar points out, lifting his hand and quill both. "I'm a member of Lathander's Order, and I'm afraid the commandments of my god are above the commandments of my employer. You understand, yes? I'll just make a note of that next to my signature."

After scribbling out exactly what he's promised to upon the paper, he passes it along to the next party member. "I'm as ready as Gavin is, I believe," he notes. "We didn't precisely exhaust many supplies with our last job here. I've no need for preparations. Of course, I can't speak for my companions."


The nobleman seems taken aback at Malachi's words but seeing all the others sign without objection says Ath I thaid at dawn you thall meet my young couthin Lem. He'th now attending to thome latht minute detailth. He'll thpend the night here too and meet you over breakfath


Female Half-Elf fighter 2

Until the dawn then. Kyli slide away from the table and sauntered over to bar. She laid a gold piece on it and then made her way to her room for the night. It would be an early start in the morning.


Male Human Bloodrager 1

Menrozzar will sign the contract and finish his ale. Once the others move to bed, he will do the same.


Kleth reviews the contract and signs as well. He doles out the payment to his comrades and himself, "I shall head to bed as well. An early day requires a good night's rest, especially as we might not see another bed for some time!"


Male Dwarf Oracle (Stone) 2, Init +1 (+3 while underground); AC 17, touch 11, flat-footed 16, HP 19/19), Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +3; +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, Senses darkvision 30 ft, Perception +2

Oryx takes out a piece of ash and marks a big "O" as his signature and smiles then with a burly hand slaps the nobleman on the shoulder.

"Pleasure."


The night passes without incidents and the group is welcomed as they go downstairs by the smell of fried eggs and homemade bread. Sitting at the main table next to Ronald Silvershield, a young boy, barely a man, eats a hearthy breakfast. Ronald stands up and motions the party to sit at the table with them. May Lathander morning glory find you in good thpirith friendth. Thith ith my couthin Lem


Female Half-Elf fighter 2

And a good morning to you too, sir. Kyli visibly blanched as the words tumbled out of her mouth, traits from a lifetime of welcoming guests tot he breakfast table of her parents' inn. She silently berated herself for sounding like a country bumpkin and took her seat. At least I didnt just come out in my small clothes. she silently chided herself.


"Indeed, every day we wake and have a chance to learn something new is a good day indeed. So Lem, are you familiar with this trade route we wil be taking?"


The young boy looks at Kleth and answers I have studied it for weeks planning our stops and possible detours. Haven't gone to Riatavin for a couple years, since it seceded and joined Tethyr but things seem to have calmed down he smiles confidently we can expect banditry and vermin along the way, but most criminals won't make the effort of assaulting a three wagon caravan with six guards. he lowers his voice That is unless they know of our cargo so I'd recommend discretion he offers his hand to Kleth and Kili Anyway, I don't think we've been properly introduced. I'm Lemarel Silvershield but everybody calls me Lem


Male Halfling Bard (Arch) 1 / Rog (Unc) 1 || HP: 18/18 || AC: 20 (T:16 / FF:17) || CMD: 15 || Fort:+3 Refl:+9 Will:+3(+5 fear) || Init:+3 || Perception:+6(+7 trap)

"Lem, ah yes, of course!" Gavin shouts as he makes his way down the final steps. The halfling has his pack slung over his shoulder, though he looks a little worse for wear. Approaching the table, he adjusts his garments, as he looks about his friends.

"My apologies, good companions. But after you all abandoned me for Selune's restful grasp, I became embroiled in a deep theological discussion with a one-eyed dwarf and a merchant from Mulhorandi. It was truly intriguing, though the last bit I remember was the three of us sharing a swig of the dwarf's gutbuster... Hmm, perhaps not the best choice. But it was amusing. Anyway, where is everyone else?"

Flashing a smile to the serving maid passing by, "Pardon me, kind lass, but the long road calls to my legs. Would you be a dear and rustle me up a meal worthy of starting a grand adventure? And a mug of ale, of course."


Male Dwarf Oracle (Stone) 2, Init +1 (+3 while underground); AC 17, touch 11, flat-footed 16, HP 19/19), Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +3; +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, Senses darkvision 30 ft, Perception +2

Oryx, comes down the stairs with a big yawn and a stretch. When he see's everyone gathered he smiles and walks over to take a seat.

"Mornin erry'one. Yer all up early. Ye must be the lad we're here to see the mornin. Good to meetcha. I be Oryx Stonespeaker, ye must be Lem." He turns and waves down a waitress and asks for some breakfast of eggs and bacon then turns back to the group. His cloudy eyes a little unsettling, but it less so by his happy and friendly demeanor. "What're ya all discussin'?"


Male Human Bloodrager 1

Menrozzar comes down the stairs, weapons and gear rattling, fully armored with his stylized dragon helm hooked to his belt as he approaches the group. "Good morrow, comrades! Are we prepared to venture forth on the road north? You must be Lem, the leader for this caravan. Ready to begin an exciting journey?"


Lem looks at the party with his eyes wide open and then back at his cousin I take my cousin told you this will be some kind of heroic travel? he shakes his head This is just standard caravan guarding, well-paid, low-effort, boring... and I hope it doesn't become some sort of adventure he stands up after finishing his meal.Anyway, meet me at the western gates in an hour, I have to see to some last minute issues


Male Human Bloodrager 1

Menrozzar laughs loudly at the lad's question, "Nay, lad, he did not say it would be heroic travel. Still, when experiencing new sights, one must always be excited - especially with the possibility of challenge and combat!"

Menrozzar shall then order a nice, hearty breakfast.


The young boy looks at Menrozzar and smiling says You've been in few caravans have you? I was seven when I first drove a wagon in one, twelve when I saw the first man killed by bandits, and have managed to avoid seeing another one for the last six years, so I can get excited by new sights, but combat... I'll leave that to you


Male Halfling Bard (Arch) 1 / Rog (Unc) 1 || HP: 18/18 || AC: 20 (T:16 / FF:17) || CMD: 15 || Fort:+3 Refl:+9 Will:+3(+5 fear) || Init:+3 || Perception:+6(+7 trap)

His first plate of the day securely in his stomach and now well into his second, Gavin pauses at the young man's words. "A few last minute issues? So, our journey begins already plagued by trouble? Perhaps you'd like a hand addressing the matters. After all, you have hired a group of diversely skilled and uniquely capable individuals. It would be a shame to waste such resources..."


Female Half-Elf fighter 2

Kyli had been sitting quietly after she had finished her meal, the chance to do something beside sit around was a welcome distraction. I would be happy to go with you to the gates now.


Kleth smiles at Lem, "Excellent, I am glad you have done your research for the journey. I look forward to seeing many of the sights I've yet to see. Reading about them in books and looking at them on maps is one thing, experiencing them is all together different and dare I say exciting. Thus, I agree with Menrozzar, even if there is no combat, the trip will at least be a novel one for me".


I just have to acquire a replacement horse since last night one of ours was sick and with our cargo I prefer to be safe than sorry he looks at the group and seems to think for a second Maybe some imposing company would lower prices if you're so eager to help


"Imposing eh? That would seem to be Menrozzar's department..."


Male Human Bloodrager 1

The Chessentan warrior looks up from his meal and says, "Only because I am the largest of us. Kyli and that axe of hers might make for a good escort, as well. Perhaps both of us should accompany you?"


Male Dwarf Oracle (Stone) 2, Init +1 (+3 while underground); AC 17, touch 11, flat-footed 16, HP 19/19), Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +3; +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, Senses darkvision 30 ft, Perception +2

Oryx looks quizzically at everyone as they talk. "Now lad I don' think intimidation is the answer here. Maybe just some negitiation or if all else fails a couple coins will help smooth things over aye."


Male Halfling Bard (Arch) 1 / Rog (Unc) 1 || HP: 18/18 || AC: 20 (T:16 / FF:17) || CMD: 15 || Fort:+3 Refl:+9 Will:+3(+5 fear) || Init:+3 || Perception:+6(+7 trap)

Gavin smirks as he shakes his head. "Ah, humans, always so quick to use brute force to accomplish their aims. Perhaps a bit of finesse, and a few well-spoken words would do you well. Though I understand if you are loathe to let a Hin speak for you in such matters. If so, I will happily meet you at the Western Gates."

Turning toward the serving girl, "Perhaps one more plate of eggs and bacon before we depart? Don't know when I am going to enjoy such a finely made meal next!"


I now how negotiations go thank you Lem smiles but I know that it's always good to have a backup plan. I don't plan to intimidate nobody, but having two armed guards alongside me will make the stable owner take me more seriously he starts walking to the door. If anyone is coming along... if not we'll meet in an hour

Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Under the Tears of Selûne: Northbound All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.