Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Tower of the Heavens (Inactive)

Game Master bbangerter

Mines


1,151 to 1,200 of 1,760 << first < prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | next > last >>

Unknown

Proving Irina's words to be true, the ogre grasps the prisoners head and slowly begins to twist. The man struggles and screams but is unable to resist the creatures powerful strength. The prisoner spasms once, then goes limp. The ogre does not stop its twisting though and continues to turn the prisoners head in a full circle and more, splattering itself with blood. Head held in one hand and body in the other the ogre bellows out again, "The same will be done to any who do not surrender themselves. Ha ha." As the ogre marches back to the goblin encampment, head in one hand and corpse in the other, you can hear the high pitched squeaks and jeers of the goblins accompanied by the pounding of swords on shields. Nearby several of the mercenaries are retching, faces pale, legs trembling.

Calid begins talking again, quietly, his face ashen, "That was even worse than the first prisoner. We tried to shoot the creature with our bows the first time, but it seemed impervious to our arrows. Some magic is protecting it. And to many arrows missed their mark. I fear half of our men will flee when the goblins charge us if we don't do something to boost their morale." He looks west to the setting sun. "We have about two hours till dark."


Taking Calid aside, along with the group, Irina says, trying to sound confident, "That's why we're here, to deal with that. With night fall, we'll be overrun. We need your force to be the diversion, making like you're making your last stand before darkness falls. In the meantime, we'll pretend to flee, frightened off by the display, circle round, and take out that ogre. With the ogre dead, those goblins' morale won't do much better than that of your men."


"Circling to the back will only work if the ogre isn't in the front; considering the creature's cruelty, I do not think such is likely. Could you perhaps put it to sleep?"


Unknown

Calid interjects, "That is my fear too, but staying here means we get overrun. We either need to keep that ogre off the front lines when they attack, or we need to somehow take the fight to them while we still have the advantage of daylight."

Just a correction, you actually have about 4 hours of daylight left, not 2.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"I have been told I have a knack of angering the evil, perhaps they envy my righteousness and the aura of light that I bring. Some say I push it too far. First you can never go too far. If i'm going to die, its not going to be by a beast like that.

I will get its attention. and I suggest we do it while we have light."


"Offer it the age old tradition of deciding the battle through single combat. When it refuses, I know a phrase or two of goblin that should shame the bugger into either agreeing, or charging out to reclaim its lost pride and manhood."

As an aside, she adds, "Men are similar in so many ways, no matter the species."


"Calid, what resources do we have here at our disposal? Is there anything that might be of use?"


Unknown

"If you can draw it out to fight one on one great, but its not a beast I'd care to challenge in single combat. Can you beat it paladin?"

Responding to Warren's question, "Just some standard supplies. A couple of wagons with food, rope, axes, shovels, picks, and lanterns."


"I never said we'd fight fair," Irina scoffs.


"We will want to set up those lanterns around and throughout the town so that even if nightfall comes, we can still light them and see our enemies. I will begin doing that while Irina and Alma decide on the specifics of their plan."

On a side note, if Irina can put the ogre to sleep, then someone can coup de grace it and it should die.


Only if somebody's already threatening it. At her level, the sleep only lasts 1 round.


So anyone who can survive a couple of blows (Warren or Alma or probably Calid). They can run back if it makes both of its saves.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"Well, I guess all I have to do is dodge ... Here goes nothing."

Moving to the front of the settlement Alma raises his voice so the ogre can here him.

"Hey you son of a motherless ogre. Retreat not behind your denizens. Come face me in mortal combat. Unless you fear me, and cower behind the scum in front of you."


Unknown

There is a disturbance in the goblin camp and the ogre strides forward again, stopping near a pair of trees, one to either side of it. C44-D45

The ogre says something to the goblins nearby and the goblins soon back up 50 or 60 feet. "Haha sniveling human. Come and meet me in battle then and I shall break your back and toss you in the pot, with him for company." The ogre holds aloft the head of the prisoner for a moment, then tosses it back over his shoulder and pulls both a javelin and a large club from off its back. It hefts the javelin in one hand while idly holding the club in the other. The ends of two more javelins can be seen peeking over the top of the creatures head.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"Are we going to throw sticks at each other. No, let us fight like warriors so that your death may have meaning. You with your club and me with my sword."

intimidate: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


Unknown

You will need to move up to within 30' before you can demoralize him with initimidate.

Demoralize: You can use this skill to cause an opponent to become shaken for a number of rounds. The DC of this check is equal to 10 + the target's Hit Dice + the target's Wisdom modifier. If you are successful, the target is shaken for 1 round. This duration increases by 1 round for every 5 by which you beat the DC. You can only threaten an opponent in this way if they are within 30 feet and can clearly see and hear you. Using demoralize on the same creature only extends the duration; it does not create a stronger fear condition.

Note also that doing an intimidate in combat is a standard action.

As for the settlement itself, they've already placed lanterns on the corner of each building and a couple along the picket line.

Updated Map


As Alma steps up and faces the ogre, Warren runs forward as well. "Hold one moment. If we are to do a test of combat then we must do it properly. Ogre--Call one of your own forward to arbitrate with me and set some ground rules for this battle."


Irina follows with Alma. She embraces him, mumbling the verbal components of a guidance spell into his shoulder. "I'll use an enlarging spell on you once the battle starts. Try not to die first."

Releasing the paladin, she glares at the ogre and shouts,

Goblin:
"If the ogre kills you, we'll have to find a goblin woman to finish it off."


Unknown

Alma are you moving forward? How far? To which grid square?


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Alma moves to N39 and readies an action


Unknown

The ogre snorts loudly, "Call me a coward, then refuse to face me singly. Bah. And you bring a child who thinks to play at combat. When I crush your skull I am declared victor, and no other rules are needed."

At Irina's insult the ogre growls deeply which then turns into a laugh, an ugly leer on its face, "You can come to me next woman. But you will be spared the cook pot." Its mouth opens into a wide grin.


Goblin:
"My grandmother would be too much woman for you to handle. I think after Alma defeats you, we'll leave you alive and let your goblins have their way with you. I imagine there are one or two who would like a chance to pay you back for something."


Smiling, Warren acknowledges the ogre's declaration. "In that case..."

Cast Shield of Faith (+2 to AC) on Alma.


Unknown

The ogre snarls, its lips curling in anger. "Ay ko magturo sa iyo ng mga bagay ang iyong lola ay hindi kailanman Alam babae."

Irina:
I will teach you things your grandmother never knew woman.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

"Ogre, have you ever danced with a paladin in the full moon light?"

Alma moves forward with his longsword and shield raised. I40


Unknown

With a cry of blood lust, a wicked grin on its face, the ogre hurls its javelin at Alma

Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

its aim is off mark though. It then grips its large club in both hands preparing to fully engage.

The goblins to the north begin again banging their blades against their shields in imperfect rhythm.

Party may act (or if you intend to merely stand and watch please indicate it).


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Alma moves to H44, Still ready to swing at the ogre should he come to me.

"You throw your sticks like a female halfling!"


Warren does nothing other than drawing his blade and watching to make sure none of the goblins do anything sneaky.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Is it my move again, or the Ogre's?


Unknown

Irina's, if any, then the ogres.


Iriba laughs.

Goblin:
"Here me, you goblins. Any of you that help us defeat this ogre will be allowed to exact any revenge you want against him for how he's treated you, and be allowed to return to your homes alive."

With that said, she starts the casting of an enlarge person spell on Alma.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

With his stature growing, Alma raises his sword to the heavens, "I HAVE THE POWER!"

Looking at the ogre in the eye, motioning him to come at him with his hand half cupped. "Come to daddy."


Ummm...somebody should tell the over-eager, 80's-born paladin that enlarge person has a full-round casting time...


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

I am just glad when people catch my pop culture references. Because there have been quite a few since we first started :)


Unknown

The ogre rolls its eyes at your pop culture references.

The great brute steps forward E44-F45 swinging its massive club, while out of Alma's reach. It does not appear to be aiming for Alma directly though.

Sunder: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Damage: 2d8 + 7 ⇒ (1, 5) + 7 = 13

The blow ricochets off of Alma's blade, leaving the blade slightly bent.
The blade is still perfectly usable with no adverse side effects, but it has been damaged.

The ogres lips turn into a snarl, disappointed that it did not snap the blade off at the hilt.

Many of the goblins most likely did not hear Irina over the noise, but several near the front lose the rhythm of beating on their shields as they attempt to digest Irina's promise. So far all continue to watch the battle though.

Party may act. Irina goes before Alma in init, so the enlarge person will complete before Alma's action.


Warren will hold his action indefinitely until he sees something that warrants his action.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

If Irina does something that would change my move such as cause the Ogre to sleep, Then I will change my move, otherwise I do the following.

Smite Evil +4 AC, +4 to Attack, +2 dmg based on level
Attack: 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 4 = 18
Damage: 1d8 + 4 + 1 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 1 + 3 = 12
Make sure my dmg is right. +4 for smite evil, +3 from normal strength, +1 for Enlarged size

Alma slices with all his might back at the Ogre.


Increase the damage die, as well.

Not wanting to risk incurring the wrath of the goblins, Irina finishes her spell, then readies her sleep hex for Alma's next successful attack, hoping to make it look like Alma took the ogre down in one blow.


2d6+4+smite damage


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

looks like smite damage is only 2 (based on pally level). I will reroll the damage based on the 2d6+4+2

Damage: 2d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (3, 4) + 4 + 2 = 13


Unknown

Shield of faith does not stack with the smite evil AC bonus, so Alma's current AC is 24

Alma draws blood from the brute. It returns the attack, aiming for Alma's head.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

The swing is wildly inaccurate. "You call me coward yet come forth to fight needing the aid of your friends to defeat me."

It then bellows loudly, "PAG-ATAKE SA NAYON"

Irina:
Attack the village

The racket from the goblins ceases and many sheathe their blades and pull out their bows. It is chaos in the goblin camp though, a disorganized array rather than a uniform fighting force.

Updated Map

Party may act, Irina has a readied action to hex the ogre upon Alma's attack.


Um...I thought that was on the previous attack, since Alma's last attack included the size bonus from the enlarge, I figured that means she was done with the enlarging, and now ready for the hex.


"You were the one who declared the rules, ogre; nothing was said against using the aid of magic."

Warren casts Shield of Faith on himself and moves to J41.


Unknown
Irina Moretskya wrote:
Um...I thought that was on the previous attack, since Alma's last attack included the size bonus from the enlarge, I figured that means she was done with the enlarging, and now ready for the hex.

Ah sorry, I'd misunderstood, since you'd posted the readied action after Alma had posted his attack.

Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

So back track that, the ogre doesn't get a chance to call out, it promptly falls to the ground asleep right after Alma smacks it.

The goblins go silent, while a shout is raised from behind you as the mercenaries rejoice.

Party may act based on revised events, the ogre is currently asleep. You may alter your actions Warren if you wish.


Sorry about the confusion. I didn't want to just assume that the 18 was a hit, and Alma Ninja'd me.


Warren will instead run up to the ogre next to Alma.


Male Human Paladin/2 HP 28/33

Alma raised his sword with the hilt high. Thrusting down as hard as he can.
Coup de gras w/ Power Attack: 1d20 + 6 - 1 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 6 - 1 + 4 = 15
damage coup de gras w/ Power Attack: 4d6 + 4 + 8 + 4 ⇒ (5, 6, 4, 2) + 4 + 8 + 4 = 33
again just to numbers check, everything is doubled right? So 4 for the smite evil, 8 for the strength bonus, and +4 for the doubled power attack.

With the Ogre slain, Alma spreads his arms wide while slowly circling, shouting to all that can hear. "Are you not entertained?"


It suddenly occurs to Irina that, enlarged, Alma makes an attractive target for goblin arrows.

This day just keeps getting better and better...


Unknown

Damage numbers are correct. No need to make an attack roll during a coup de grace though as it is an automatic crit, just the damage roll is needed.

Alma slams his blade into the ogre slaying it instantly.

Alma:
You suddenly feel dizzy for a few seconds, when the dizziness passes you feel mentally drained.

Alma you are now suffering a -1 penalty to all die rolls for the time being for unlawful/dishonorable conduct. See the discussion thread for details.

The goblins break into an argument after the shock of seeing the ogre slain settles in, shouting at one another in goblin.

Irina:
You are able to make out bits and pieces of the argument.

"...should attack them now..."
"...you can fight the big one if you want..."
"...return to the cave..."
"...we must take their food..."


"The goblins are confused and demoralized," Irina hisses. "A strong charge now may scatter them. Alba? Alma, did you hear me? What's the matter with you?"

1,151 to 1,200 of 1,760 << first < prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tower of the Heavens All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.